1. Who is probably the most beloved and admired of American presidents?
(a) Herbert Hoover.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) George Bush.
(d) George Washington.
2. Who claims this president?
(c) Liberals and conservatives.
(d) His wife, Martha Wales.
3. What do both William Jennings Bryan and Clarence Darrow claim about Jefferson?
(a) He shares their views of evolution and creation.
(b) He shares their views about human dignity.
(c) He is a great man.
(d) He shares their architectural style.
4. What do both Franklin Roosevelt and Herbert Hoover claim about Jefferson?
(a) His ideals in their very different ways of handling the Depression.
(b) His ideals in their very different opinions of prohibition.
(c) His views of isolationism.
(d) His opinion of the women's rights movement.
5. What does the author find surprising about an evening devoted to Jefferson in 1993?
(a) The audience is very argumentative about Jefferson's stand on slavery.
(b) 40 people attend, rather than the estimated 400.
(c) 400 people attend, rather than the estimated 40.
(d) The audience has little respect for Jefferson as a president.
This section contains 5,012 words
(approx. 17 pages at 300 words per page)