1. Who is probably the most beloved and admired of American presidents?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) George Bush.
(d) Herbert Hoover.
2. Who claims this president?
(c) His wife, Martha Wales.
(d) Liberals and conservatives.
3. What do both William Jennings Bryan and Clarence Darrow claim about Jefferson?
(a) He is a great man.
(b) He shares their views about human dignity.
(c) He shares their views of evolution and creation.
(d) He shares their architectural style.
4. What do both Franklin Roosevelt and Herbert Hoover claim about Jefferson?
(a) His ideals in their very different ways of handling the Depression.
(b) His views of isolationism.
(c) His ideals in their very different opinions of prohibition.
(d) His opinion of the women's rights movement.
5. What does the author find surprising about an evening devoted to Jefferson in 1993?
(a) 400 people attend, rather than the estimated 40.
(b) The audience has little respect for Jefferson as a president.
(c) 40 people attend, rather than the estimated 400.
(d) The audience is very argumentative about Jefferson's stand on slavery.
This section contains 5,012 words
(approx. 17 pages at 300 words per page)