* Jefferson is probably the most beloved and admired of American presidents and is claimed by opposing groups and individuals.
* Jefferson inherits Sally Hemings from the family of his wife, Martha Wales.
* John Wales, Martha Wales' father, is reported to be the father of Sally Hemings.
* Jefferson is frequently accused of having a sexual relationship with Sally Hemings and fathering several of her seven children.
* Ellis argues against presentism, which is the tendency to apply current social and ethical standards to the behavior of past eras.
* Judging Jefferson's as a slave owner and possible relationship with Sally Hemings is not presentism, because it is not uncommon of people of Jefferson's time to oppose slavery and have sexual relationships with slaves.
* Initially Ellis believes that it would have been out of character for Jefferson to have had a relationship with Hemings but changes his position when DNA evidence proves...
This section contains 1,850 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)