|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Right say he is not afraid of?
2. Who does Socrates say he used to treat badly?
3. What kind of cafe does Socrates go to?
4. What did the man hit with his car?
5. Which part of the driver's body did Socrates break?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates dream about his mother at the end of the chapter?
2. Why does Roland not like Socrates?
3. How does this chapter show that sometimes violence is necessary?
4. How does Socrates build up Darryl's confidence after the fight with Philip?
5. What does Socrates do with the reward money?
6. What does Socrates tell Theresa in his letter to her?
7. Why does Socrates blame businessmen for corruption?
8. What does Socrates think about the dog paw prints around him when he wakes up on the beach?
9. What does Right tell Socrates at the bus stop?
10. What does Bruce tell Socrates he would do if he knew a man that had murdered two people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Mosley's dialogue contribute to the following areas?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Mosley use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)