|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates agree to talk to young children about?
2. Who does Socrates follow home?
3. Where do the bus driver's children live?
4. Who does Folger say is trying to steal everything?
5. What is Burke dying of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates tell Shreve in the cafe?
2. What does the bus driver tell Socrates about the lives of colored people?
3. Why does the ocean remind Socrates of his aunt?
4. What does Socrates dream about his mother at the end of the chapter?
5. What does Socrates tell Theresa in his letter to her?
6. Why can Socrates not wave goodbye to Right?
7. Why does Socrates think that Ponzelle started the fire?
8. What does Theresa's mother say in her letter to Socrates?
9. What does Socrates think about the dog paw prints around him when he wakes up on the beach?
10. What does Socrates do with the reward money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine violence in the novel.
1) How do the characters in the novel view violence?
2) Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that Mosley portrays?
3) How did the public react to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to a similar book today?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Socrates' character to the person he is at the beginning of the book to the person he is at the end of the book.
1) What were Socrates' hopes at the beginning of the novel?
2) What events changes Socrates' ideas about life and goals?
3) How has Socrates' character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Mosley's life. In what way are his life and personality is reflected in the book? Where could he have learned about the world of espionage? In what ways is he like or unlike Socrates?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)