|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Socrates' boss?
2. What does Folger give Socrates a long lecture about?
3. Who dies when Sally was 12?
4. What does Shreve think Socrates is after?
5. Who does Folger say is trying to steal everything?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Socrates break the driver's nose?
2. Why does Socrates think that Ponzelle started the fire?
3. What does the bus driver tell Socrates about the lives of colored people?
4. What does Socrates do with the reward money?
5. What do Socrates and Right do at Dilley's
6. What does Socrates have to do in return for no jail time?
7. Why can Socrates not wave goodbye to Right?
8. What does Socrates think about the dog paw prints around him when he wakes up on the beach?
9. Why does Roland not like Socrates?
10. How does Darryl react when Socrates takes him to live with the MacDaniels?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme:
2) Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Write a 500-word essay revolving around one of the following statements:
1) Socrates proves that on such occasions violence is right.
2) Socrates protects Darryl because he sees a bit of himself in him.
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss the goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)