|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Socrates take a bus to in this chapter?
2. Who does RIght tell Charla he is going south to visit?
3. What is the name of Socrates' boss?
4. Where do the bus driver's children live?
5. Which of the following people are also regulars at the bookstore?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Socrates break the driver's nose?
2. How does Socrates help Roland when he is dying?
3. How does Socrates stop Philip and his two friends from hurting Darryl?
4. What does Socrates do with the reward money?
5. Why does Socrates blame businessmen for corruption?
6. How does Socrates build up Darryl's confidence after the fight with Philip?
7. How does Darryl react when Socrates takes him to live with the MacDaniels?
8. What does Socrates tell Shreve in the cafe?
9. What does Socrates have to do in return for no jail time?
10. What do Socrates and Right do at Dilley's
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Socrates' character to the person he is at the beginning of the book to the person he is at the end of the book.
1) What were Socrates' hopes at the beginning of the novel?
2) What events changes Socrates' ideas about life and goals?
3) How has Socrates' character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Mosley use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme:
2) Point of view
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)