|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates try to set alight?
2. What does Burke want Socrates to get for him?
3. Why does Socrates want to work more shifts at work?
4. What did the man hit with his car?
5. Who invites Socrates over for dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can Socrates not wave goodbye to Right?
2. Why does Socrates stay at home during the riots?
3. What does the bus driver tell Socrates about the lives of colored people?
4. How did the bookshop change Socrates?
5. What does Socrates have to do in return for no jail time?
6. What do Socrates and Right do at Dilley's
7. How does Socrates build up Darryl's confidence after the fight with Philip?
8. How does Socrates stop Philip and his two friends from hurting Darryl?
9. What does Bruce tell Socrates he would do if he knew a man that had murdered two people?
10. What does Socrates do with the reward money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1990s? How does Mosley express these concerns?
2) How would Mosley change the novel if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss the goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Aside from the main character, examine the way Mosley uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)