|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Philip's body does Darryl manage to hit?
2. Why does Socrates think Darryl can no longer stay with him?
3. Where is Socrates when the police arrest him?
4. What kind of house did Socrates' mother used to live in?
5. Why can't Socrates wave goodbye to Right?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Socrates think that Ponzelle started the fire?
2. How does Socrates help Roland when he is dying?
3. How does Socrates talk Right out of killing himself with a gun?
4. Summarize the novel.
5. What does Socrates think about the dog paw prints around him when he wakes up on the beach?
6. Why does Socrates blame businessmen for corruption?
7. How does Socrates build up Darryl's confidence after the fight with Philip?
8. What does Theresa's mother say in her letter to Socrates?
9. What does Socrates do with the reward money?
10. How does this chapter show that sometimes violence is necessary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aside from the main character, examine the way Mosley uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Mosely wrote ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, ALWAYS OUTGUNNED in 1997. Choose one of the following options and discuss how African Americans' lives have improved since then.
1) Living conditions.
2) Representation in the media.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Socrates' character across the whole series.
1) How does Mosley develop Socrates' character across the whole series?
2) What new elements does ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, ALWAYS OUTGUNNED add to Socrates' character?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)