|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the house Socrates checks for Theresa's letter?
2. What part of Charles' body did Socrates break?
3. Who puts out the $100 bill?
4. What does Socrates agree to talk to young children about?
5. Who replies to Socrates' letter to Theresa?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Socrates think that Ponzelle started the fire?
2. Why does Roland not like Socrates?
3. What does Socrates do with the reward money?
4. How does Socrates help Roland when he is dying?
5. What does the bus driver tell Socrates about the lives of colored people?
6. What does Socrates dream about his mother at the end of the chapter?
7. What does Bruce tell Socrates he would do if he knew a man that had murdered two people?
8. What does Socrates tell Theresa in his letter to her?
9. What does Right tell Socrates at the bus stop?
10. Why does the ocean remind Socrates of his aunt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme:
2) Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Examine Mosley's writing style. How would you describe Mosley's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does Mosley's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Socrates' character to the person he is at the beginning of the book to the person he is at the end of the book.
1) What were Socrates' hopes at the beginning of the novel?
2) What events changes Socrates' ideas about life and goals?
3) How has Socrates' character changed by the end of the novel?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)