|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ralphie call Socrates?
2. How has Howard's life changed for the better?
3. What does Socrates say they are not?
4. Who does Socrates want to make the streets safe for?
5. What day does Socrates like to visit Iula's?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Socrates go out into the alleyway?
2. Why does Darryl think it would be a good idea to join a gang?
3. What happened to Clyde in prison?
4. What is the dream that Darryl keeps on having?
5. Why does Socrates not like collecting bottles and cans?
6. Why is Corina upset with her husband, Howard?
7. What does Socrates say he thinks about killing?
8. How does Socrates criticize Howard?
9. What does Stony think about Socrates' leaving the question on the application about felonies blank?
10. What does Socrates think the abandoned shop used to be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Mosley's writing style. How would you describe Mosley's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does Mosley's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme:
2) Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Socrates' past affected one of the following areas in his life:
2) Social life
3) Intimate relationships
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)