|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Clyde sent to after the incident?
2. Which of the following does Socrates tell Crier it is illegal to discriminate against?
3. What kind of clothes does Wilfred say he dresses up in?
4. What is the name of the diner Socrates visits?
5. What is the name of the supermarket Socrates goes to for a job?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the men's views differ on how to deal with Petis?
2. Why did Corina and Howard argue?
3. What are Socrates and his friends discussing in his house?
4. Why is Corina upset with her husband, Howard?
5. How did Socrates kill Shep and Muriel?
6. Why does Socrates go out into the alleyway?
7. What is Socrates' reason for walking home instead of taking the bus?
8. Why does Socrates think that Howard should be angry at what he said to Corina about him?
9. Why does Socrates think that going to the police is not an option?
10. Why does Ralphie anger Socrates?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine violence in the novel.
1) How do the characters in the novel view violence?
2) Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that Mosley portrays?
3) How did the public react to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to a similar book today?
Essay Topic 2
Aside from the main character, examine the way Mosley uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme:
2) Point of view
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)