|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ralphie call Socrates?
2. What does Socrates imagine the shop once was?
3. Who does Socrates say lives in the dark house opposite?
4. Why is Corina worried about Howard?
5. What is Anton Crier's position at the supermarket?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Iula frighten Socrates?
2. What does Socrates think of the Bounty Supermarket?
3. Why does Socrates go out into the alleyway?
4. How did Socrates kill Shep and Muriel?
5. How does Socrates criticize Howard?
6. What does Stony think about Socrates' leaving the question on the application about felonies blank?
7. What imaginary conversations does Socrates sometimes have with Charles?
8. What are Socrates and his friends discussing in his house?
9. Why does Socrates think that going to the police is not an option?
10. What is Socrates' reason for walking home instead of taking the bus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss the goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Mosley's writing style. How would you describe Mosley's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does Mosley's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Socrates' character to the person he is at the beginning of the book to the person he is at the end of the book.
1) What were Socrates' hopes at the beginning of the novel?
2) What events changes Socrates' ideas about life and goals?
3) How has Socrates' character changed by the end of the novel?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)