|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main character's first name?
2. Why does Socrates find Iula frightening?
3. What is Anton Crier's position at the supermarket?
4. What is Darryl holding?
5. Why does Socrates think Darryl is having nightmares?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Darryl think it would be a good idea to join a gang?
2. Why does Socrates want to talk to Petis?
3. Why does Ralphie anger Socrates?
4. What imaginary conversations does Socrates sometimes have with Charles?
5. Why is Corina upset with her husband, Howard?
6. Why does Socrates go out into the alleyway?
7. What is the dream that Darryl keeps on having?
8. How did Socrates kill Shep and Muriel?
9. Why does Socrates decide against fighting Ralphie?
10. Why does Socrates not like collecting bottles and cans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What major events had a profound effect on Socrates' life and how did they change him? What does Socrates still have to learn by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Choose two of the following people and outline their influence on Socrate's life:
3) His mother
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)