|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Nicole first see a city full of Asian people?
(a) New York.
(c) San Francisco.
2. What was the subject of the class Nicole and Dan took together in college?
3. Where did Cindy live after her parents divorced?
(a) San Francisco.
4. What was the main feeling Nicole got from the idea of her approaching child?
5. How old was Nicole when she got pregnant?
6. How does Nicole characterize her relationship with being Korean?
(a) She hated it openly.
(b) She loved and hated it.
(c) She did not notice it.
(d) She loved it but only in secret.
7. What was Nicole’s husband Dan’s genetic heritage?
8. How does Nicole say her parents returned to religion?
(a) After a crisis.
(b) By invitation.
(c) By choice.
(d) By chance.
9. What transition was taking place, that kept Nicole from looking into her birth parents’ identities?
(a) Her mother’s health declined.
(b) She moved to the east coast with her husband.
(c) She moved to Chicago for graduate school.
(d) She started a new job.
10. What does Nicole say her mind was fixated on, after her first prenatal visit?
(a) The list of search angels.
(b) The image of her daughter’s face.
(c) Her lack of family history.
(d) The pain she would feel in delivery.
11. What does Nicole say substituted for her lack of Korean heritage?
12. How does Nicole characterize her response to the racial slurs she heard as a kid?
(a) Cool disdain.
(b) Furious indignation.
(d) Passive endurance.
13. What information did Nicole get along with the non-identifying information from the hospital she was born in?
(a) A map of the town her parents came from.
(b) The name of the doctors who had taken care of her.
(c) A list of relatives in the U.S. and Korea.
(d) A list of intermediaries who could contact her birth parents.
14. What does Nicole say is often missing in transracial adoptions?
(a) Financial support.
(c) Therapy for the child.
(d) Assimilation support.
15. How does Nicole characterize the typical story of adoption in movies or on TV?
(a) A child learns to love herself.
(b) A child is saved from destitution.
(c) Long-estranged family members reconnect.
(d) An infertile mother is redeemed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Nicole ask the adoption agency for?
2. When does Nicole say she heard her first racial slur?
3. How long was Cindy deployed in Korea for?
4. What does Nicole say was inextricably linked with adoption for her?
5. How old was Nicole when the couple asked her about adoption?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)