|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What writer did Stein refer to as "the greatest of the Victorians?"
2. At what age did Gertrude attempt to write a Shakespearean drama?
3. Who was the first person to quote Gertrude Stein's work to her?
4. Who taught Gertrude Stein, how to drive?
5. What experiment did Gertrude perform and eventually write a paper about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stein's first vehicle could be used as a metaphor in the story. At the time, the war was preparing to erupt and it was important to be able to preserve one's freedom. Explain how the car symbolized freedom.
Essay Topic 2
Of the people that visited the Paris salon, a great number of them were German or Hungarian. The Hungarians in particular were mad for Stein, her work and her company. What caused the Hungarians to worship Stein? How was Stein's work received in Hungary? How did the Germans view Stein's work?
Essay Topic 3
After the Steins returned to the United States from Europe, Mr. Stein wanted the children to abandon their foreign language skills and focus solely on American English. Why would Stein do this? What are the pros and cons of focusing solely on American English?
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)