Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Stein, what kind of country is Germany?
2. To whom does Alice refer to as the third genius?
3. Where did the Steins move when they left Paris?
4. Who was the guest of honor at Fernande's banquet?
5. What was the Stein's opinion of Dickens?
Essay Topic 1
Stein says that there is a big difference in the attitudes of Americans and Europeans in regard to work ethic and material possessions. Americans are much more obsessed with both while Europeans are satisfied with enjoying life and all it has to offer. One good example of this is Matisse's reaction to the house in Clamart. Examine the difference in these points between Stein and her European friends.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Stein and Toklas.
1. How are they different?
2. Did their life together in Paris increase or diminish their differences?
3. What was the main difference or likeness between the two women?
Essay Topic 3
Stein and Fitzgerald had a peculiar relationship. Stein often complimented Fitzgerald on his work, particularly the books "The Great Gatsby" and "This Side of Paradise." Fitzgerald did not receive the compliments well and often became angry. Explain Fitzgerald's behavior and how it affected his relationship with Stein.
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)