|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the Steins go when they returned to America?
2. Where was Stein's first European residence?
3. In what city did the couple have difficulties getting their passports approved?
4. What was the name of Stein's and Toklas' mallorcan hound
5. What European city did Stein take a disliking to upon her first visit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Patriotism is one of the main topics in the Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas. Although Stein, Toklas and many of the other characters in the story were expatriates, they managed to maintain their patriotism toward their native lands. Explain how a person could be a patriotic expatriate. Is it possible to be both or it is hypocritical?
Essay Topic 2
Money was mentioned on occasion but usually when it posed a problem regarding the ability to live in Paris or during war time. It was never discussed how Stein and Toklas made their money, only that it was wise to be frugal. When the women ran out of money, they contacted relatives for help. Where do you think the women got the funds to live on? How did their lifestyle help or hinder their financial status?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Stein and Toklas.
1. How are they different?
2. Did their life together in Paris increase or diminish their differences?
3. What was the main difference or likeness between the two women?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)