|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the main problem with publishing "The Making of Americans?"
2. Gertrude won an award for describing what object?
3. The Steins moved again when Gertrude was three-years-old. To what city did they transfer?
4. Where did the Whitehead lived before moving to London?
5. Who did Alice referred to as being "a tormented and not particularly sympathetic character"?
Essay Topic 1
Money was mentioned on occasion but usually when it posed a problem regarding the ability to live in Paris or during war time. It was never discussed how Stein and Toklas made their money, only that it was wise to be frugal. When the women ran out of money, they contacted relatives for help. Where do you think the women got the funds to live on? How did their lifestyle help or hinder their financial status?
Essay Topic 2
Stein was born and spent the first six months of her life in Allegheny, Pennsylvania. Explain why it was important to Stein to maintain the connection with her birthplace. What were the benefits of embracing her Pennsylvania roots as opposed to the roots created in California?
Essay Topic 3
Transportation in the early 1900s was not nearly as easy as it is today. However, Stein and her friends traveled often. During the war, travel became quite a bit more difficult but did not stop Stein from moving about from place to place. Examine the issues faced when traveling between countries during war time. Which of these did Stein face? How would it be different today?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)