|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city did the couple have difficulties getting their passports approved?
2. The German ship, Fangturm, sold what items to the Mediterranean ports?
3. What war preceded the first world war?
4. What was the name of Stein's and Toklas' mallorcan hound
5. Where did Matisse buy a house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After the Steins returned to the United States from Europe, Mr. Stein wanted the children to abandon their foreign language skills and focus solely on American English. Why would Stein do this? What are the pros and cons of focusing solely on American English?
Essay Topic 2
One of Stein's older brothers lived with the writer in Paris for many years. Although it may be considered odd in modern times, it was commonplace for family members, especially if they were unmarried, to live together. Discuss the pros and cons of living with a sibling as an adult.
Essay Topic 3
Although Stein and Toklas are lovers and seem to be accepting of the lifestyles of most people, there are instances in which Stein's morality affects various friendships. Explain why Stein's morality almost cost the writer the close relationship she had formed with Picasso.
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)