|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gertrude Stein family is described in what book?
2. What item did Gertrude bring back from Rome that was later broken?
3. Who was forced to leave the Stein apartment at the insistence of a spouse?
4. What maneuver in driving was difficult for Gertrude?
5. How did Alfy describe Paris after the battle of the Marne?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Stein and Toklas.
1. How are they different?
2. Did their life together in Paris increase or diminish their differences?
3. What was the main difference or likeness between the two women?
Essay Topic 2
There is very little actual dialogue in the story although there is a great amount of recounting stories and hearsay. Why did the author choose to recount stories through the eyes of Toklas instead of reporting the actual events through the use of dialogue?
Essay Topic 3
One of Stein's older brothers lived with the writer in Paris for many years. Although it may be considered odd in modern times, it was commonplace for family members, especially if they were unmarried, to live together. Discuss the pros and cons of living with a sibling as an adult.
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)