|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Stein claims that Cubism is a concept that can be attributed to...
2. Who was forced to leave the Stein apartment at the insistence of a spouse?
3. Which of these items was not a feature at the Matisse house?
4. Which is not one of Gertrude's favorite saints?
5. What was John Lane's favorite food in Provence?
Essay Topic 1
Although a great deal of the story is about Stein rather than Toklas, there is never a solid mention of Stein's nuclear family regarding the number of siblings. Why would the author overlook an important part of the writer's childhood and family structure? How did the oversight affect the story?
Essay Topic 2
One of the first things Toklas noticed about the books in Stein's Paris apartment was that none of them was written in French. Even though Stein was fluent in French, she chose to have only English materials in the apartment. Explain Stein's reasons.
Essay Topic 3
Of the people that visited the Paris salon, a great number of them were German or Hungarian. The Hungarians in particular were mad for Stein, her work and her company. What caused the Hungarians to worship Stein? How was Stein's work received in Hungary? How did the Germans view Stein's work?
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)