|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Gertrude going to travel to London in the summer?
2. During this time who became Picasso's closest friend?
3. Stein claims that Cubism is a concept that can be attributed to...
4. Where did Matisse buy a house?
5. How did Stein and Toklas have to confirm their identity when picking up the money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of the book details the relationships between Stein and a lengthy cast of characters. Most of the characters are famous painters and authors although many are academics, friends and relatives that bear little impact on the story as a whole. Why were these people included in the book? Do you feel that the inclusion helped or hindered the picture Stein was trying to paint of life in Paris?
Essay Topic 2
Stein says that there is a big difference in the attitudes of Americans and Europeans in regard to work ethic and material possessions. Americans are much more obsessed with both while Europeans are satisfied with enjoying life and all it has to offer. One good example of this is Matisse's reaction to the house in Clamart. Examine the difference in these points between Stein and her European friends.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Stein and Toklas.
1. How are they different?
2. Did their life together in Paris increase or diminish their differences?
3. What was the main difference or likeness between the two women?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)