|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While in medical school, Gertrude was well-known for...
2. Which of these items was not a feature at the Matisse house?
3. What item did Gertrude bring back from Rome that was later broken?
4. Stein and Toklas decided to settle down temporarily, in what location?
5. According to Stein Germans lack what ability?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stein is very good at characterization of the main group of visitors to the Paris salon. Choose one of the following characters and explain how the descriptions in the book enhance the reader's image of the character.
1. Pablo Picasso
2. Gertrude Stein
3. Alice B. Toklas
4. Henri Matisse
Essay Topic 2
One of Stein's older brothers lived with the writer in Paris for many years. Although it may be considered odd in modern times, it was commonplace for family members, especially if they were unmarried, to live together. Discuss the pros and cons of living with a sibling as an adult.
Essay Topic 3
Patriotism is one of the main topics in the Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas. Although Stein, Toklas and many of the other characters in the story were expatriates, they managed to maintain their patriotism toward their native lands. Explain how a person could be a patriotic expatriate. Is it possible to be both or it is hypocritical?
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)