|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the Whitehead lived before moving to London?
2. What was the Stein's opinion of Dickens?
3. Gertrude Stein family is described in what book?
4. Why was Gertrude going to travel to London in the summer?
5. Who sent money to Stein and Toklas in London?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Stein and Toklas.
1. How are they different?
2. Did their life together in Paris increase or diminish their differences?
3. What was the main difference or likeness between the two women?
Essay Topic 2
Mildred Aldrich was upset that Stein was not more readily recognized by the Americans yet professed that it was more important to be recognized by the British? What were Aldrich's reasons for the belief? How did that belief affect Stein's decisions?
Essay Topic 3
One of the first things Toklas noticed about the books in Stein's Paris apartment was that none of them was written in French. Even though Stein was fluent in French, she chose to have only English materials in the apartment. Explain Stein's reasons.
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)