|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which house guest was objected to by Helene?
2. Where was Alice B. Toklas born?
3. Where did Alice choose as a travel destination?
4. Who painted a portrait of Gertrude Stein?
5. With whom did Alice live?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gertrude Stein discover the works of Cézanne?
2. Why is it difficult for Alice to relate to her family's military service?
3. Why is it unusual for Picasso to paint a portrait of Gertrude Stein?
4. Toklas claims that Stein and Fitzgerald had a peculiar way with each other. Explain.
5. In the beginning of Chapter 2, Picasso had just finished his portrait of Gertrude Stein. Why was the painting not received from the time it was finished?
6. What about Picasso's paintings was considered to be entirely Spanish?
7. What piece of literature inspired Stein to write Toklas' autobiography?
8. When Alice first goes to the starting this apartment, she is introduced to Helene, the Stein's housekeeper. What are Alice's impressions of Helene?
9. What is the difference of opinion in between the Germans and the Spaniards regarding bullfighting?
10. Why did the Whiteheads leave America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Stein and Toklas are lovers and seem to be accepting of the lifestyles of most people, there are instances in which Stein's morality affects various friendships. Explain why Stein's morality almost cost the writer the close relationship she had formed with Picasso.
Essay Topic 2
After the Steins returned to the United States from Europe, Mr. Stein wanted the children to abandon their foreign language skills and focus solely on American English. Why would Stein do this? What are the pros and cons of focusing solely on American English?
Essay Topic 3
Stein is very good at characterization of the main group of visitors to the Paris salon. Choose one of the following characters and explain how the descriptions in the book enhance the reader's image of the character.
1. Pablo Picasso
2. Gertrude Stein
3. Alice B. Toklas
4. Henri Matisse
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)