|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What military position did Alice's great-great-uncle hold?
2. What did Mrs. Stein bring to California?
3. What was the name of the picture dealer in Paris that handled Cézanne's work?
4. Cézanne's portrait of a woman inspired what Gertrude Stein work?
5. Who painted a portrait of Gertrude Stein?
Short Essay Questions
1. What inspired Picasso to devote himself to Cubism?
2. The author claims that Alice's father came from Polish patriotic stock. What in Alice's history causes the author to make such a statement?
3. How does Gertrude Stein discover the works of Cézanne?
4. How had Matisse's life changed since he arrived in Paris?
5. What was referred to as "un petit Luxembourg?"
6. What event precipitated the Steins move to Vienna?
7. Why was it difficult for the Picassos to decide where their son would be baptized?
8. What caused Alice to throw herself into literature after having spent so much time studying music?
9. What caused Alice's grandfather to leave Paris?
10. Why was Gertrude grateful to have failed to receive her degree from Johns Hopkins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Of the people that visited the Paris salon, a great number of them were German or Hungarian. The Hungarians in particular were mad for Stein, her work and her company. What caused the Hungarians to worship Stein? How was Stein's work received in Hungary? How did the Germans view Stein's work?
Essay Topic 2
After the Steins returned to the United States from Europe, Mr. Stein wanted the children to abandon their foreign language skills and focus solely on American English. Why would Stein do this? What are the pros and cons of focusing solely on American English?
Essay Topic 3
Patriotism is one of the main topics in the Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas. Although Stein, Toklas and many of the other characters in the story were expatriates, they managed to maintain their patriotism toward their native lands. Explain how a person could be a patriotic expatriate. Is it possible to be both or it is hypocritical?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)