|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What artist was a friend of the photographer, Duret?
2. What was the career choice of Matisse before he discovered painting?
3. What was Alice's mother's name?
4. One of the paintings by Matisse that Stein loved was titled, "La Femme au Chapeau." What is the English translation of "chapeau?"
5. To what author does Alice offer assistance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Alice remembers a collection of photographs, kept by Gertrude Stein of the Americans the war. Why did these photographs upset Picasso?
2. Why did William Cook's father refuse to believe there was war?
3. Why was it difficult for the Picassos to decide where their son would be baptized?
4. Why did they Toklas say that war was not weighing heavily on people's minds in London?
5. When Alice first goes to the starting this apartment, she is introduced to Helene, the Stein's housekeeper. What are Alice's impressions of Helene?
6. Why did it not matter to Gertrude Stein what language her literature was printed in?
7. What most impressed Alice about her first meeting with Gertrude Stein in Paris?
8. What is the difference of opinion in between the Germans and the Spaniards regarding bullfighting?
9. How is Picasso described when he makes his first recorded visit to the Stein apartment?
10. Why was Mildred Aldrich pleased by Gertrude Stein's success in England?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the first things Toklas noticed about the books in Stein's Paris apartment was that none of them was written in French. Even though Stein was fluent in French, she chose to have only English materials in the apartment. Explain Stein's reasons.
Essay Topic 2
It is well known that Stein and Toklas were lovers and were possibly secretly married in 1908. The lifestyle of the couple was such that the unusual living arrangement was never questioned by the couple's friends. Why was the subject not openly discussed in the book? How do you think Stein's and Toklas' families reacted to their marriage?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Stein and Toklas.
1. How are they different?
2. Did their life together in Paris increase or diminish their differences?
3. What was the main difference or likeness between the two women?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)