|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these people is not on Alice's list of geniuses?
2. Cézanne's portrait of a woman inspired what Gertrude Stein work?
3. Gertrude Stein's brother had a fondness for what type of art?
4. What year did Alice's grandfather go to California?
5. Which artist is not mentioned in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it difficult for Alice to relate to her family's military service?
2. Why was Mildred Aldrich pleased by Gertrude Stein's success in England?
3. What caused Alice's grandfather to leave Paris?
4. Alice remembers a collection of photographs, kept by Gertrude Stein of the Americans the war. Why did these photographs upset Picasso?
5. What caused Alice to throw herself into literature after having spent so much time studying music?
6. How had Matisse's life changed since he arrived in Paris?
7. What was the initial response to Gertrude Stein's "Three Lives?"
8. In 1913, Helene left of the Stein household. What prompted the departure?
9. What was referred to as "un petit Luxembourg?"
10. According to Alice Gertrude Stein remained firmly born in Allegheny, Pennsylvania. What was one of the reasons that Gertrude refused to consider California her birthplace?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of the book details the relationships between Stein and a lengthy cast of characters. Most of the characters are famous painters and authors although many are academics, friends and relatives that bear little impact on the story as a whole. Why were these people included in the book? Do you feel that the inclusion helped or hindered the picture Stein was trying to paint of life in Paris?
Essay Topic 2
Patriotism is one of the main topics in the Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas. Although Stein, Toklas and many of the other characters in the story were expatriates, they managed to maintain their patriotism toward their native lands. Explain how a person could be a patriotic expatriate. Is it possible to be both or it is hypocritical?
Essay Topic 3
After the Steins returned to the United States from Europe, Mr. Stein wanted the children to abandon their foreign language skills and focus solely on American English. Why would Stein do this? What are the pros and cons of focusing solely on American English?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)