Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What activity did Stein partake in every afternoon?
2. What was the name of one of the top two large spring salons?
3. Alice's grandmother was very fond of __________________.
4. What was the name of the street where the Steins had an apartment?
5. Who did Alice meet during her travels?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about Picasso's paintings was considered to be entirely Spanish?
2. Why was Hemingway in Europe initially?
3. Why was Helene surprised when she returned to the Stein apartment after her son had died?
4. What was Alice's living arrangement after the untimely death of her mother?
5. What piece of literature inspired Stein to write Toklas' autobiography?
6. Why is it difficult for Alice to relate to her family's military service?
7. What newspapers did Stein regularly read and why?
8. What caused the turbulent nature of the Picassos' relationship?
9. Toklas claims that Stein and Fitzgerald had a peculiar way with each other. Explain.
10. How did Stein and Toklas resolve their growing need for money?
Although a great deal of the story is about Stein rather than Toklas, there is never a solid mention of Stein's nuclear family regarding the number of siblings. Why would the author overlook an important part of the writer's childhood and family structure? How did the oversight affect the story?
One of Stein's older brothers lived with the writer in Paris for many years. Although it may be considered odd in modern times, it was commonplace for family members, especially if they were unmarried, to live together. Discuss the pros and cons of living with a sibling as an adult.
After the Steins returned to the United States from Europe, Mr. Stein wanted the children to abandon their foreign language skills and focus solely on American English. Why would Stein do this? What are the pros and cons of focusing solely on American English?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)