|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what author does Alice offer assistance?
2. Picasso painted a famous scene with friends gathered around what object?
3. What artist became famous by painting a portrait of Fernande?
4. How does Alice know if she has met a genius?
5. Where had the relatives been living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was one of the reasons Alice cannot understand Gertrude's insistence upon remaining connected to Allegheny, Pennsylvania?
2. Why did the Whiteheads leave America?
3. What about Picasso's paintings was considered to be entirely Spanish?
4. Although one of the reasons Mr. Stein took his children to Europe was to receive a European education, he changed his mind regarding language when the family moved to California. Why?
5. How did Alice come to meet Gertrude Stein's brother and sister-in-law?
6. Why was it difficult for the Picassos to decide where their son would be baptized?
7. What possessions of Mrs. Stein's were of great fascination to Alice? Why?
8. What is the difference of opinion in between the Germans and the Spaniards regarding bullfighting?
9. What newspapers did Stein regularly read and why?
10. Describe the premise of Stein's novel "The Making of Americans."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Money was mentioned on occasion but usually when it posed a problem regarding the ability to live in Paris or during war time. It was never discussed how Stein and Toklas made their money, only that it was wise to be frugal. When the women ran out of money, they contacted relatives for help. Where do you think the women got the funds to live on? How did their lifestyle help or hinder their financial status?
Essay Topic 2
One of Stein's older brothers lived with the writer in Paris for many years. Although it may be considered odd in modern times, it was commonplace for family members, especially if they were unmarried, to live together. Discuss the pros and cons of living with a sibling as an adult.
Essay Topic 3
After the Steins returned to the United States from Europe, Mr. Stein wanted the children to abandon their foreign language skills and focus solely on American English. Why would Stein do this? What are the pros and cons of focusing solely on American English?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)