|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Matisse when he received the first large offer from the spring salon?
2. What artist became famous by painting a portrait of Fernande?
3. Stein had a weakness for what types of objects?
4. At what time of day did Gertrude Stein typically begin to work?
5. At what age did Alice stop practicing her music?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gertrude Stein discover the works of Cézanne?
2. Among the people discussed with Fernande is Germaine Pichot. What is unusual about the wife of the Spanish painter?
3. What caused Alice's grandfather to leave Paris?
4. Describe the premise of Stein's novel "The Making of Americans."
5. What was referred to as "un petit Luxembourg?"
6. Why was Gertrude grateful to have failed to receive her degree from Johns Hopkins?
7. According to Alice Gertrude Stein remained firmly born in Allegheny, Pennsylvania. What was one of the reasons that Gertrude refused to consider California her birthplace?
8. Why did the Whiteheads leave America?
9. What piece of literature inspired Stein to write Toklas' autobiography?
10. Why is it unusual for Picasso to paint a portrait of Gertrude Stein?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Money was mentioned on occasion but usually when it posed a problem regarding the ability to live in Paris or during war time. It was never discussed how Stein and Toklas made their money, only that it was wise to be frugal. When the women ran out of money, they contacted relatives for help. Where do you think the women got the funds to live on? How did their lifestyle help or hinder their financial status?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Stein and Toklas.
1. How are they different?
2. Did their life together in Paris increase or diminish their differences?
3. What was the main difference or likeness between the two women?
Essay Topic 3
Stein was born and spent the first six months of her life in Allegheny, Pennsylvania. Explain why it was important to Stein to maintain the connection with her birthplace. What were the benefits of embracing her Pennsylvania roots as opposed to the roots created in California?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)