|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Alice choose as a travel destination?
2. What was Picasso's first name?
3. What was the name of the Stein's housekeeper?
4. What was the name of the street where the Steins had an apartment?
5. What activity did Stein partake in every afternoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did they Toklas say that war was not weighing heavily on people's minds in London?
2. Alice remembers a collection of photographs, kept by Gertrude Stein of the Americans the war. Why did these photographs upset Picasso?
3. What was the initial purpose for Stein and Toklas to go to London?
4. Why does Gertrude Stein spend two years living in Baltimore?
5. What prompted Max Jacob to dub the early 1900s "the heroic age of Cubism?
6. Why did Alice neglect to pursue education or a career while in San Francisco?
7. Why is it unusual for Picasso to paint a portrait of Gertrude Stein?
8. How does Gertrude Stein discover the works of Cézanne?
9. In the beginning of Chapter 2, Picasso had just finished his portrait of Gertrude Stein. Why was the painting not received from the time it was finished?
10. How is Picasso described when he makes his first recorded visit to the Stein apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stein and Fitzgerald had a peculiar relationship. Stein often complimented Fitzgerald on his work, particularly the books "The Great Gatsby" and "This Side of Paradise." Fitzgerald did not receive the compliments well and often became angry. Explain Fitzgerald's behavior and how it affected his relationship with Stein.
Essay Topic 2
Stein was born and spent the first six months of her life in Allegheny, Pennsylvania. Explain why it was important to Stein to maintain the connection with her birthplace. What were the benefits of embracing her Pennsylvania roots as opposed to the roots created in California?
Essay Topic 3
Patriotism is one of the main topics in the Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas. Although Stein, Toklas and many of the other characters in the story were expatriates, they managed to maintain their patriotism toward their native lands. Explain how a person could be a patriotic expatriate. Is it possible to be both or it is hypocritical?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)