|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose relatives returned to California?
2. Stein had a weakness for what types of objects?
3. Who was the inspiration for La Femme un Chapeau?
4. What was Alice's mother's name?
5. Where had the relatives been living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the impetus to convince Alice to travel to Europe for the first time?
2. Describe the premise of Stein's novel "The Making of Americans."
3. What most impressed Alice about her first meeting with Gertrude Stein in Paris?
4. How did Stein and Toklas resolve their growing need for money?
5. How does Gertrude Stein discover the works of Cézanne?
6. What is Gertrude Stein's brother's theory about the masking of unemployment in Paris?
7. Why did Alice neglect to pursue education or a career while in San Francisco?
8. Gertrude Stein left California when she was 17-years-old. The author describes the writer as having a drastic change of lifestyle when she moved to the East Coast. What was the main change in Gertrude's life at that time?
9. Why was it difficult for the Picassos to decide where their son would be baptized?
10. What is the difference of opinion in between the Germans and the Spaniards regarding bullfighting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Transportation in the early 1900s was not nearly as easy as it is today. However, Stein and her friends traveled often. During the war, travel became quite a bit more difficult but did not stop Stein from moving about from place to place. Examine the issues faced when traveling between countries during war time. Which of these did Stein face? How would it be different today?
Essay Topic 2
Although Stein and Toklas are lovers and seem to be accepting of the lifestyles of most people, there are instances in which Stein's morality affects various friendships. Explain why Stein's morality almost cost the writer the close relationship she had formed with Picasso.
Essay Topic 3
Although a great deal of the story is about Stein rather than Toklas, there is never a solid mention of Stein's nuclear family regarding the number of siblings. Why would the author overlook an important part of the writer's childhood and family structure? How did the oversight affect the story?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)