|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom did Alice live?
2. What was the former occupation of gallery owner, Sagot?
3. What was the name of the large exposition building?
4. What was the name of the confectioner who made honey cakes and nut candies?
5. What nationality flooded the rue de Fleurus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the significance of the black renaissance plate?
2. Why did Harry Gibb push Stein to publish a big book that people could sink their teeth into?
3. What was the impetus to convince Alice to travel to Europe for the first time?
4. Of the Americans that visited Paris, Picasso approved of very few. One woman of which Picasso approved was referred to as the Empress. Describe her.
5. Alice remembers a collection of photographs, kept by Gertrude Stein of the Americans the war. Why did these photographs upset Picasso?
6. Why did William Cook's father refuse to believe there was war?
7. What about Picasso's paintings was considered to be entirely Spanish?
8. Why did Stein decide to write Toklas' autobiography?
9. How is Picasso described when he makes his first recorded visit to the Stein apartment?
10. Describe Gertrude Stein's afternoon ritual.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although a great deal of the story is about Stein rather than Toklas, there is never a solid mention of Stein's nuclear family regarding the number of siblings. Why would the author overlook an important part of the writer's childhood and family structure? How did the oversight affect the story?
Essay Topic 2
Mildred Aldrich was upset that Stein was not more readily recognized by the Americans yet professed that it was more important to be recognized by the British? What were Aldrich's reasons for the belief? How did that belief affect Stein's decisions?
Essay Topic 3
One of the first things Toklas noticed about the books in Stein's Paris apartment was that none of them was written in French. Even though Stein was fluent in French, she chose to have only English materials in the apartment. Explain Stein's reasons.
This section contains 1,551 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)