|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Alice's mother's name?
2. Where was Gertrude's brother living when he learned about Cézanne?
3. Stein had a weakness for what types of objects?
4. What year did Alice's grandfather go to California?
5. Cézanne's portrait of a woman inspired what Gertrude Stein work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference of opinion in between the Germans and the Spaniards regarding bullfighting?
2. Why was Mildred Aldrich pleased by Gertrude Stein's success in England?
3. What was Alice's living arrangement after the untimely death of her mother?
4. How is Picasso described when he makes his first recorded visit to the Stein apartment?
5. Why was Hemingway in Europe initially?
6. Why did the Whiteheads leave America?
7. What caused Alice's grandfather to leave Paris?
8. What was the impetus to convince Alice to travel to Europe for the first time?
9. How had Matisse's life changed since he arrived in Paris?
10. In the beginning of Chapter 2, Picasso had just finished his portrait of Gertrude Stein. Why was the painting not received from the time it was finished?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the techniques used in the book is the flashback. Cite five examples of a flashback and the relevance of each to the story. Explain how the use of flashback may have hindered the story in the mind of the reader. Also explain why Stein felt that it was necessary to use the flashback method.
Essay Topic 2
Stein is very good at characterization of the main group of visitors to the Paris salon. Choose one of the following characters and explain how the descriptions in the book enhance the reader's image of the character.
1. Pablo Picasso
2. Gertrude Stein
3. Alice B. Toklas
4. Henri Matisse
Essay Topic 3
Patriotism is one of the main topics in the Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas. Although Stein, Toklas and many of the other characters in the story were expatriates, they managed to maintain their patriotism toward their native lands. Explain how a person could be a patriotic expatriate. Is it possible to be both or it is hypocritical?
This section contains 1,491 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)