|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Picasso when he painted the portrait of Gertrude Stein?
2. Of what comic was Picasso fond?
3. Duret commented to an artist that there are two kinds of art. There is art, and then there is ___________________.
4. Which was not a passion for Fernande?
5. The Matisse apartment had a beautiful view of what Paris landmark?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did it upset Mildred Aldrich to read Who's Who in America?
2. Of the Americans that visited Paris, Picasso approved of very few. One woman of which Picasso approved was referred to as the Empress. Describe her.
3. Why does Gertrude Stein spend two years living in Baltimore?
4. What was referred to as "un petit Luxembourg?"
5. What was the impetus to convince Alice to travel to Europe for the first time?
6. What most impressed Alice about her first meeting with Gertrude Stein in Paris?
7. In 1913, Helene left of the Stein household. What prompted the departure?
8. Why is it unusual for Picasso to paint a portrait of Gertrude Stein?
9. What possessions of Mrs. Stein's were of great fascination to Alice? Why?
10. Why was it difficult for the Picassos to decide where their son would be baptized?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of the book details the relationships between Stein and a lengthy cast of characters. Most of the characters are famous painters and authors although many are academics, friends and relatives that bear little impact on the story as a whole. Why were these people included in the book? Do you feel that the inclusion helped or hindered the picture Stein was trying to paint of life in Paris?
Essay Topic 2
Of the people that visited the Paris salon, a great number of them were German or Hungarian. The Hungarians in particular were mad for Stein, her work and her company. What caused the Hungarians to worship Stein? How was Stein's work received in Hungary? How did the Germans view Stein's work?
Essay Topic 3
Stein's first vehicle could be used as a metaphor in the story. At the time, the war was preparing to erupt and it was important to be able to preserve one's freedom. Explain how the car symbolized freedom.
This section contains 1,562 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)