|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of one of the top two large spring salons?
2. What artist became famous by painting a portrait of Fernande?
3. Stein had a weakness for what types of objects?
4. At what age did Alice develop a love of literature?
5. What area of Paris is popular with artists?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused Alice's grandfather to leave Paris?
2. Why did Toklas say it was with "infinite relief England came into the war"?
3. Alice remembers a collection of photographs, kept by Gertrude Stein of the Americans the war. Why did these photographs upset Picasso?
4. Why was it difficult for the Picassos to decide where their son would be baptized?
5. What was one of the reasons Alice cannot understand Gertrude's insistence upon remaining connected to Allegheny, Pennsylvania?
6. How did Alice come to meet Gertrude Stein's brother and sister-in-law?
7. What prompted Max Jacob to dub the early 1900s "the heroic age of Cubism?
8. Of the Americans that visited Paris, Picasso approved of very few. One woman of which Picasso approved was referred to as the Empress. Describe her.
9. How had Matisse's life changed since he arrived in Paris?
10. What caused Alice to throw herself into literature after having spent so much time studying music?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stein says that there is a big difference in the attitudes of Americans and Europeans in regard to work ethic and material possessions. Americans are much more obsessed with both while Europeans are satisfied with enjoying life and all it has to offer. One good example of this is Matisse's reaction to the house in Clamart. Examine the difference in these points between Stein and her European friends.
Essay Topic 2
One of the techniques used in the book is the flashback. Cite five examples of a flashback and the relevance of each to the story. Explain how the use of flashback may have hindered the story in the mind of the reader. Also explain why Stein felt that it was necessary to use the flashback method.
Essay Topic 3
Stein and Fitzgerald had a peculiar relationship. Stein often complimented Fitzgerald on his work, particularly the books "The Great Gatsby" and "This Side of Paradise." Fitzgerald did not receive the compliments well and often became angry. Explain Fitzgerald's behavior and how it affected his relationship with Stein.
This section contains 1,548 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)