|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item did Picasso withhold from his wife?
2. How does Alice refer to her mother?
3. What was the name of the street on which the Picassos lived?
4. What is the English translation of "un coup de foudre?"
5. What did Mrs. Stein bring to California?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did it not matter to Gertrude Stein what language her literature was printed in?
2. What caused Alice's grandfather to leave Paris?
3. In 1913, Helene left of the Stein household. What prompted the departure?
4. Why did William Cook's father refuse to believe there was war?
5. Toklas claims that Stein and Fitzgerald had a peculiar way with each other. Explain.
6. What most impressed Alice about her first meeting with Gertrude Stein in Paris?
7. In the beginning of Chapter 2, Picasso had just finished his portrait of Gertrude Stein. Why was the painting not received from the time it was finished?
8. Why did Alice neglect to pursue education or a career while in San Francisco?
9. What prompted Max Jacob to dub the early 1900s "the heroic age of Cubism?
10. The author claims that Alice's father came from Polish patriotic stock. What in Alice's history causes the author to make such a statement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Money was mentioned on occasion but usually when it posed a problem regarding the ability to live in Paris or during war time. It was never discussed how Stein and Toklas made their money, only that it was wise to be frugal. When the women ran out of money, they contacted relatives for help. Where do you think the women got the funds to live on? How did their lifestyle help or hinder their financial status?
Essay Topic 2
Mildred Aldrich was upset that Stein was not more readily recognized by the Americans yet professed that it was more important to be recognized by the British? What were Aldrich's reasons for the belief? How did that belief affect Stein's decisions?
Essay Topic 3
One of Stein's older brothers lived with the writer in Paris for many years. Although it may be considered odd in modern times, it was commonplace for family members, especially if they were unmarried, to live together. Discuss the pros and cons of living with a sibling as an adult.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)