|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had the relatives been living?
2. What was the name of the street where the Steins had an apartment?
3. What was the name of Stein's1,000-page book?
4. Some people thought Picasso resembled which famous American?
5. What was the name of the book that Gertrude Stein was having privately printed in 1907?
Short Essay Questions
1. Toklas claims that Stein and Fitzgerald had a peculiar way with each other. Explain.
2. Why did it upset Mildred Aldrich to read Who's Who in America?
3. What possessions of Mrs. Stein's were of great fascination to Alice? Why?
4. Why does Gertrude Stein spend two years living in Baltimore?
5. Among the people discussed with Fernande is Germaine Pichot. What is unusual about the wife of the Spanish painter?
6. When Alice first goes to the starting this apartment, she is introduced to Helene, the Stein's housekeeper. What are Alice's impressions of Helene?
7. What was the impetus to convince Alice to travel to Europe for the first time?
8. Why did it not matter to Gertrude Stein what language her literature was printed in?
9. Why did they Toklas say that war was not weighing heavily on people's minds in London?
10. What prompted Gertrude and her brother to split up their art collection?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Transportation in the early 1900s was not nearly as easy as it is today. However, Stein and her friends traveled often. During the war, travel became quite a bit more difficult but did not stop Stein from moving about from place to place. Examine the issues faced when traveling between countries during war time. Which of these did Stein face? How would it be different today?
Essay Topic 2
Of the people that visited the Paris salon, a great number of them were German or Hungarian. The Hungarians in particular were mad for Stein, her work and her company. What caused the Hungarians to worship Stein? How was Stein's work received in Hungary? How did the Germans view Stein's work?
Essay Topic 3
One of the techniques used in the book is the flashback. Cite five examples of a flashback and the relevance of each to the story. Explain how the use of flashback may have hindered the story in the mind of the reader. Also explain why Stein felt that it was necessary to use the flashback method.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)