|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous school did Gertrude Stein attend?
2. What was the name of the street where the Steins had an apartment?
3. What event caused Alice to lapse with her music?
4. Alice's relative raised a regiment for whom?
5. What was the name of Matisse's first large composition?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Helene surprised when she returned to the Stein apartment after her son had died?
2. What prompted Gertrude and her brother to split up their art collection?
3. How did Stein respond when Mrs. Bishop asked the writer to prompt the French government to create a Pondichery?
4. Describe Gertrude Stein's afternoon ritual.
5. What possessions of Mrs. Stein's were of great fascination to Alice? Why?
6. What was Alice's living arrangement after the untimely death of her mother?
7. How did Stein and Toklas resolve their growing need for money?
8. What inspired Picasso to devote himself to Cubism?
9. How did Alice come to meet Gertrude Stein's brother and sister-in-law?
10. How had Matisse's life changed since he arrived in Paris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After the Steins returned to the United States from Europe, Mr. Stein wanted the children to abandon their foreign language skills and focus solely on American English. Why would Stein do this? What are the pros and cons of focusing solely on American English?
Essay Topic 2
Although Stein and Toklas are lovers and seem to be accepting of the lifestyles of most people, there are instances in which Stein's morality affects various friendships. Explain why Stein's morality almost cost the writer the close relationship she had formed with Picasso.
Essay Topic 3
Stein is very good at characterization of the main group of visitors to the Paris salon. Choose one of the following characters and explain how the descriptions in the book enhance the reader's image of the character.
1. Pablo Picasso
2. Gertrude Stein
3. Alice B. Toklas
4. Henri Matisse
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)