|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the former occupation of gallery owner, Sagot?
2. Where had the relatives been living?
3. Cézanne's portrait of a woman inspired what Gertrude Stein work?
4. What present did Stein give to Picasso?
5. What was the name of Stein's1,000-page book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did it not matter to Gertrude Stein what language her literature was printed in?
2. Describe Gertrude Stein's afternoon ritual.
3. How did Alice come to meet Gertrude Stein's brother and sister-in-law?
4. What was the significance of the black renaissance plate?
5. What was the initial purpose for Stein and Toklas to go to London?
6. What is the difference of opinion in between the Germans and the Spaniards regarding bullfighting?
7. What newspapers did Stein regularly read and why?
8. Why did the Whiteheads leave America?
9. What event precipitated the Steins move to Vienna?
10. What was Alice's living arrangement after the untimely death of her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stein was born and spent the first six months of her life in Allegheny, Pennsylvania. Explain why it was important to Stein to maintain the connection with her birthplace. What were the benefits of embracing her Pennsylvania roots as opposed to the roots created in California?
Essay Topic 2
Stein is very good at characterization of the main group of visitors to the Paris salon. Choose one of the following characters and explain how the descriptions in the book enhance the reader's image of the character.
1. Pablo Picasso
2. Gertrude Stein
3. Alice B. Toklas
4. Henri Matisse
Essay Topic 3
Money was mentioned on occasion but usually when it posed a problem regarding the ability to live in Paris or during war time. It was never discussed how Stein and Toklas made their money, only that it was wise to be frugal. When the women ran out of money, they contacted relatives for help. Where do you think the women got the funds to live on? How did their lifestyle help or hinder their financial status?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)