Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cézanne's portrait of a woman inspired what Gertrude Stein work?
2. What was the name of the heroine of the moment?
3. What was the name of the street on which the Picassos lived?
4. Who would supply the lessons to Alice?
5. Alice's father said, "if you must do a thing do it _____________."
Short Essay Questions
1. What possessions of Mrs. Stein's were of great fascination to Alice? Why?
2. Why did it upset Mildred Aldrich to read Who's Who in America?
3. What was referred to as "un petit Luxembourg?"
4. Why is it difficult for Alice to relate to her family's military service?
5. Why was Mildred Aldrich pleased by Gertrude Stein's success in England?
6. Why was Hemingway in Europe initially?
7. Why did William Cook's father refuse to believe there was war?
8. How does Gertrude Stein discover the works of Cézanne?
9. What caused the turbulent nature of the Picassos' relationship?
10. What about Picasso's paintings was considered to be entirely Spanish?
Of the people that visited the Paris salon, a great number of them were German or Hungarian. The Hungarians in particular were mad for Stein, her work and her company. What caused the Hungarians to worship Stein? How was Stein's work received in Hungary? How did the Germans view Stein's work?
Compare and contrast the characters of Stein and Toklas.
1. How are they different?
2. Did their life together in Paris increase or diminish their differences?
3. What was the main difference or likeness between the two women?
One of the first things Toklas noticed about the books in Stein's Paris apartment was that none of them was written in French. Even though Stein was fluent in French, she chose to have only English materials in the apartment. Explain Stein's reasons.
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)