Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cézanne's portrait of a woman inspired what Gertrude Stein work?
2. What was the name of the heroine of the moment?
3. What was the name of the street on which the Picassos lived?
4. Who would supply the lessons to Alice?
5. Alice's father said, "if you must do a thing do it _____________."
Short Essay Questions
1. What possessions of Mrs. Stein's were of great fascination to Alice? Why?
2. Why did it upset Mildred Aldrich to read Who's Who in America?
3. What was referred to as "un petit Luxembourg?"
4. Why is it difficult for Alice to relate to her family's military service?
5. Why was Mildred Aldrich pleased by Gertrude Stein's success in England?
6. Why was Hemingway in Europe initially?
7. Why did William Cook's father refuse to believe there was war?
8. How does Gertrude Stein discover the works of Cézanne?
9. What caused the turbulent nature of the Picassos' relationship?
10. What about Picasso's paintings was considered to be entirely Spanish?
Essay Topic 1
Mildred Aldrich was upset that Stein was not more readily recognized by the Americans yet professed that it was more important to be recognized by the British? What were Aldrich's reasons for the belief? How did that belief affect Stein's decisions?
Essay Topic 2
Although a great deal of the story is about Stein rather than Toklas, there is never a solid mention of Stein's nuclear family regarding the number of siblings. Why would the author overlook an important part of the writer's childhood and family structure? How did the oversight affect the story?
Essay Topic 3
Stein says that there is a big difference in the attitudes of Americans and Europeans in regard to work ethic and material possessions. Americans are much more obsessed with both while Europeans are satisfied with enjoying life and all it has to offer. One good example of this is Matisse's reaction to the house in Clamart. Examine the difference in these points between Stein and her European friends.
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)