|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Picasso when he painted the portrait of Gertrude Stein?
2. Gertrude Stein's brother discovered what unknown artist at Sagot's gallery?
3. What object was often taken to the cinema with Germaine Pichot?
4. What artist was a friend of the photographer, Duret?
5. What was the name of the heroine of the moment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Among the people discussed with Fernande is Germaine Pichot. What is unusual about the wife of the Spanish painter?
2. How is Picasso described when he makes his first recorded visit to the Stein apartment?
3. What most impressed Alice about her first meeting with Gertrude Stein in Paris?
4. What was the initial purpose for Stein and Toklas to go to London?
5. Why did it upset Mildred Aldrich to read Who's Who in America?
6. What was referred to as "un petit Luxembourg?"
7. What is Gertrude Stein's brother's theory about the masking of unemployment in Paris?
8. Why did they Toklas say that war was not weighing heavily on people's minds in London?
9. What caused the turbulent nature of the Picassos' relationship?
10. Why did the Whiteheads leave America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mildred Aldrich was upset that Stein was not more readily recognized by the Americans yet professed that it was more important to be recognized by the British? What were Aldrich's reasons for the belief? How did that belief affect Stein's decisions?
Essay Topic 2
Transportation in the early 1900s was not nearly as easy as it is today. However, Stein and her friends traveled often. During the war, travel became quite a bit more difficult but did not stop Stein from moving about from place to place. Examine the issues faced when traveling between countries during war time. Which of these did Stein face? How would it be different today?
Essay Topic 3
Of the people that visited the Paris salon, a great number of them were German or Hungarian. The Hungarians in particular were mad for Stein, her work and her company. What caused the Hungarians to worship Stein? How was Stein's work received in Hungary? How did the Germans view Stein's work?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)