|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Picasso's first name?
2. What area of Paris is popular with artists?
3. Where had the relatives been living?
4. Who painted a portrait of Gertrude Stein?
5. Who was the inspiration for La Femme un Chapeau?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was one of the reasons Alice cannot understand Gertrude's insistence upon remaining connected to Allegheny, Pennsylvania?
2. Why did it not matter to Gertrude Stein what language her literature was printed in?
3. What piece of literature inspired Stein to write Toklas' autobiography?
4. What most impressed Alice about her first meeting with Gertrude Stein in Paris?
5. Why did William Cook's father refuse to believe there was war?
6. What about Picasso's paintings was considered to be entirely Spanish?
7. The author claims that Alice's father came from Polish patriotic stock. What in Alice's history causes the author to make such a statement?
8. What was referred to as "un petit Luxembourg?"
9. What inspired Picasso to devote himself to Cubism?
10. How did Stein and Toklas resolve their growing need for money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stein says that there is a big difference in the attitudes of Americans and Europeans in regard to work ethic and material possessions. Americans are much more obsessed with both while Europeans are satisfied with enjoying life and all it has to offer. One good example of this is Matisse's reaction to the house in Clamart. Examine the difference in these points between Stein and her European friends.
Essay Topic 2
One of the first things Toklas noticed about the books in Stein's Paris apartment was that none of them was written in French. Even though Stein was fluent in French, she chose to have only English materials in the apartment. Explain Stein's reasons.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Stein and Toklas.
1. How are they different?
2. Did their life together in Paris increase or diminish their differences?
3. What was the main difference or likeness between the two women?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)