|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is difficult for Alice to find?
(a) Sheet music
(c) Temperate climate
2. Picasso painted a famous scene with friends gathered around what object?
3. What activity did Stein partake in every afternoon?
(a) writing poetry
(b) walking around Paris
(c) playing with the dog
(d) drinking tea with friends
4. Of what comic was Picasso fond?
(a) Alley Oop
(c) Katzenjammer Kids
(d) Andy Capp
5. The brother of what famous dancer rented an atelier in the rue de Fleurus?
(a) Twyla Tharp
(b) Isadora Duncan
(c) Mikhail Baryshnikov
(d) Gypsy Lee Rose
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Matisse, Gertrude's world was a ________________.
2. Duret commented to an artist that there are two kinds of art. There is art, and then there is ___________________.
3. At what age did Alice develop a love of literature?
4. What was the career choice of Matisse before he discovered painting?
5. What artist was a friend of the photographer, Duret?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gertrude Stein spend two years living in Baltimore?
2. How did Stein and Toklas resolve their growing need for money?
3. What was referred to as "un petit Luxembourg?"
4. What event precipitated the Steins move to Vienna?
5. Although one of the reasons Mr. Stein took his children to Europe was to receive a European education, he changed his mind regarding language when the family moved to California. Why?
6. Why does Stern say Americans are like Spaniards?
7. What was the significance of the black renaissance plate?
8. What is the difference of opinion in between the Germans and the Spaniards regarding bullfighting?
9. Why was Gertrude grateful to have failed to receive her degree from Johns Hopkins?
10. Why did Alice neglect to pursue education or a career while in San Francisco?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)