|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year did Alice's grandfather go to California?
2. What area of Paris is popular with artists?
(b) Latin Quarter
(c) Place de la Concord
3. What is the English translation of "un coup de foudre?"
(a) Love at first sight
(b) A collection of paintings
(c) Civil unrest
(d) A political arrest
4. What was the name of the heroine of the moment?
5. What present did Stein give to Picasso?
(a) Homemade baguettes
(b) Painter's palette
(c) American newspapers
(d) Wooden easel
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Alice's great passion?
2. Who painted a portrait of Gertrude Stein?
3. What was the name of Stein's1,000-page book?
4. Whose relatives returned to California?
5. How old was Matisse when he received the first large offer from the spring salon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Whiteheads leave America?
2. Many people, mostly painters and writers, flocked to the Stein apartment. Why was 27 rue de Fleurus so popular?
3. What is Gertrude Stein's brother's theory about the masking of unemployment in Paris?
4. According to Alice Gertrude Stein remained firmly born in Allegheny, Pennsylvania. What was one of the reasons that Gertrude refused to consider California her birthplace?
5. What event precipitated the Steins move to Vienna?
6. What was the impetus to convince Alice to travel to Europe for the first time?
7. How did Stein respond when Mrs. Bishop asked the writer to prompt the French government to create a Pondichery?
8. Why does Gertrude Stein spend two years living in Baltimore?
9. How did Alice come to meet Gertrude Stein's brother and sister-in-law?
10. Why did Stein decide to write Toklas' autobiography?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)