|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who painted a portrait of Gertrude Stein?
2. What is a chronic problem in Paris?
3. What was Alice's great passion?
4. What military position did Alice's great-great-uncle hold?
5. Who was the inspiration for La Femme un Chapeau?
(a) Amelie Matisse
(b) Fernande Picasso
(c) Alice B. Toklas
(d) Gertrude Stein
Short Answer Questions
1. Stein had a weakness for what types of objects?
2. What was the name of the heroine of the moment?
3. What was the name of Alice's favorite book?
4. What was the cost of the Matisse painting of the woman and the dog?
5. What was the price of Alice's lessons?
Short Essay Questions
1. In 1913, Helene left of the Stein household. What prompted the departure?
2. Among the people discussed with Fernande is Germaine Pichot. What is unusual about the wife of the Spanish painter?
3. How did Stein and Toklas resolve their growing need for money?
4. What is the difference of opinion in between the Germans and the Spaniards regarding bullfighting?
5. Alice remembers a collection of photographs, kept by Gertrude Stein of the Americans the war. Why did these photographs upset Picasso?
6. Toklas claims that Stein and Fitzgerald had a peculiar way with each other. Explain.
7. How did Alice come to meet Gertrude Stein's brother and sister-in-law?
8. Why does Gertrude Stein spend two years living in Baltimore?
9. What was referred to as "un petit Luxembourg?"
10. Why is it difficult for Alice to relate to her family's military service?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)