|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who would supply the lessons to Alice?
2. At what age did Alice stop practicing her music?
3. What was the name of Alice's favorite book?
(a) Ada in Geography
(b) The Awkward Age
(c) Mansfield Park
(d) Wuthering Heights
4. What object was often taken to the cinema with Germaine Pichot?
(b) armed bodyguards
(c) bottles of wine
5. To what author does Alice offer assistance?
(a) Ernest Hemingway
(b) Ezra Pound
(c) Gertrude Stein
(d) Henry James
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the street where the Steins had an apartment?
2. What was the price of Alice's lessons?
3. What was Picasso's first name?
4. Alice had no desire to __________________.
5. Where did Alice choose as a travel destination?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did it upset Mildred Aldrich to read Who's Who in America?
2. What is the difference of opinion in between the Germans and the Spaniards regarding bullfighting?
3. What caused the turbulent nature of the Picassos' relationship?
4. Why was Hemingway in Europe initially?
5. In 1913, Helene left of the Stein household. What prompted the departure?
6. What was the significance of the black renaissance plate?
7. Why did Toklas say it was with "infinite relief England came into the war"?
8. Describe the premise of Stein's novel "The Making of Americans."
9. Why did it not matter to Gertrude Stein what language her literature was printed in?
10. How did Stein respond when Mrs. Bishop asked the writer to prompt the French government to create a Pondichery?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)