|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the confectioner who made honey cakes and nut candies?
(a) Parisian Chocolat
2. What artist became famous by painting a portrait of Fernande?
(b) Van Dongen
(d) Max Jacob
3. At what age did Alice stop practicing her music?
4. Who would supply the lessons to Alice?
5. What nationality was Alice's father?
Short Answer Questions
1. What area of Paris is popular with artists?
2. What was the name of the book that Gertrude Stein was having privately printed in 1907?
3. The Matisse apartment had a beautiful view of what Paris landmark?
4. Alice's grandmother was very fond of __________________.
5. What was the name of the large exposition building?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompted Gertrude and her brother to split up their art collection?
2. Describe the premise of Stein's novel "The Making of Americans."
3. Why did Alice neglect to pursue education or a career while in San Francisco?
4. Why did they Toklas say that war was not weighing heavily on people's minds in London?
5. Why was Gertrude grateful to have failed to receive her degree from Johns Hopkins?
6. Why did it not matter to Gertrude Stein what language her literature was printed in?
7. How did Stein and Toklas resolve their growing need for money?
8. Why does Gertrude Stein spend two years living in Baltimore?
9. Alice remembers a collection of photographs, kept by Gertrude Stein of the Americans the war. Why did these photographs upset Picasso?
10. How did Alice come to meet Gertrude Stein's brother and sister-in-law?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)