|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where had the relatives been living?
2. At what age did Alice stop practicing her music?
3. Who was the inspiration for La Femme un Chapeau?
(a) Amelie Matisse
(b) Gertrude Stein
(c) Alice B. Toklas
(d) Fernande Picasso
4. What was the name of the Stein's housekeeper?
5. Where was Gertrude's brother living when he learned about Cézanne?
Short Answer Questions
1. The Matisse apartment had a beautiful view of what Paris landmark?
2. What was the name of the large exposition building?
3. What was the price of Alice's lessons?
4. What about Gertrude impressed Alice?
5. Whose relatives returned to California?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Whiteheads leave America?
2. When Alice first goes to the starting this apartment, she is introduced to Helene, the Stein's housekeeper. What are Alice's impressions of Helene?
3. What most impressed Alice about her first meeting with Gertrude Stein in Paris?
4. Why did it not matter to Gertrude Stein what language her literature was printed in?
5. What was the impetus to convince Alice to travel to Europe for the first time?
6. How did Gertrude's father handle the separation and move to Vienna?
7. What caused Alice to throw herself into literature after having spent so much time studying music?
8. What is the difference of opinion in between the Germans and the Spaniards regarding bullfighting?
9. How had Matisse's life changed since he arrived in Paris?
10. Why did Alice neglect to pursue education or a career while in San Francisco?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)