|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Matisse apartment had a beautiful view of what Paris landmark?
(a) The Arc de Triomphe
(b) Ile de la Cité
(c) The Louvre
(d) Notre Dame
2. Which house guest was objected to by Helene?
3. Gertrude Stein's brother discovered what unknown artist at Sagot's gallery?
4. Who painted a portrait of Gertrude Stein?
5. What was the name of the book that Gertrude Stein was having privately printed in 1907?
(a) The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas
(b) An Awkward Age
(c) The Making of Americans
(d) Three Lives
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age did Alice develop a love of literature?
2. What was the name of the large exposition building?
3. Who did Alice meet during her travels?
4. What author did Alice most admire?
5. When it came to writing, what was Stein's passion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it unusual for Picasso to paint a portrait of Gertrude Stein?
2. What prompted Gertrude and her brother to split up their art collection?
3. Why did Alice neglect to pursue education or a career while in San Francisco?
4. Toklas claims that Stein and Fitzgerald had a peculiar way with each other. Explain.
5. What prompted Max Jacob to dub the early 1900s "the heroic age of Cubism?
6. Why was Gertrude grateful to have failed to receive her degree from Johns Hopkins?
7. How is Picasso described when he makes his first recorded visit to the Stein apartment?
8. What inspired Picasso to devote himself to Cubism?
9. Why was it difficult for the Picassos to decide where their son would be baptized?
10. What about Picasso's paintings was considered to be entirely Spanish?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)