|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what author does Alice offer assistance?
(a) Ernest Hemingway
(b) Gertrude Stein
(c) Ezra Pound
(d) Henry James
2. What about Gertrude impressed Alice?
(b) Her voice
(d) Her short stories
3. What artist became famous by painting a portrait of Fernande?
(c) Max Jacob
(d) Van Dongen
4. Gertrude Stein's brother discovered what unknown artist at Sagot's gallery?
5. Which of these people is not on Alice's list of geniuses?
(a) Pablo Picasso
(b) Alfred Whitehead
(c) Gertrude Stein
(d) Clara Schumann
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age did Alice develop a love of literature?
2. Which of these things is not among Alice's hobbies?
3. What was Picasso's first name?
4. Cézanne's portrait of a woman inspired what Gertrude Stein work?
5. What famous school did Gertrude Stein attend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused the turbulent nature of the Picassos' relationship?
2. What is the difference of opinion in between the Germans and the Spaniards regarding bullfighting?
3. Why did Harry Gibb push Stein to publish a big book that people could sink their teeth into?
4. How did Stein respond when Mrs. Bishop asked the writer to prompt the French government to create a Pondichery?
5. What was Alice's living arrangement after the untimely death of her mother?
6. Why did it upset Mildred Aldrich to read Who's Who in America?
7. What event precipitated the Steins move to Vienna?
8. Why was Helene surprised when she returned to the Stein apartment after her son had died?
9. What was the significance of the black renaissance plate?
10. Among the people discussed with Fernande is Germaine Pichot. What is unusual about the wife of the Spanish painter?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)