|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what age did Alice develop a love of literature?
2. What artist became famous by painting a portrait of Fernande?
(b) Max Jacob
(c) Van Dongen
3. Stein had a weakness for what types of objects?
4. Where was Alice B. Toklas born?
(b) New York
(c) San Antonio
(d) San Francisco
5. How does Alice refer to her mother?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who painted a portrait of Gertrude Stein?
2. Who was the inspiration for La Femme un Chapeau?
3. With whom did Alice live?
4. Of what comic was Picasso fond?
5. Which of these people is not on Alice's list of geniuses?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gertrude Stein spend two years living in Baltimore?
2. Many people, mostly painters and writers, flocked to the Stein apartment. Why was 27 rue de Fleurus so popular?
3. Although one of the reasons Mr. Stein took his children to Europe was to receive a European education, he changed his mind regarding language when the family moved to California. Why?
4. What was one of the reasons Alice cannot understand Gertrude's insistence upon remaining connected to Allegheny, Pennsylvania?
5. Why was Helene surprised when she returned to the Stein apartment after her son had died?
6. Why does Stern say Americans are like Spaniards?
7. In the beginning of Chapter 2, Picasso had just finished his portrait of Gertrude Stein. Why was the painting not received from the time it was finished?
8. Toklas claims that Stein and Fitzgerald had a peculiar way with each other. Explain.
9. Of the Americans that visited Paris, Picasso approved of very few. One woman of which Picasso approved was referred to as the Empress. Describe her.
10. How had Matisse's life changed since he arrived in Paris?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)