|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the book that Gertrude Stein was having privately printed in 1907?
(a) The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas
(b) The Making of Americans
(c) Three Lives
(d) An Awkward Age
2. What was the name of the picture dealer in Paris that handled Cézanne's work?
3. What was the name of the street where the Steins had an apartment?
(a) Rue de Rivoli
(b) Champs Elysee
(c) Avenue Champagne
(d) Rue de Fleurus
4. Which house guest was objected to by Helene?
5. Which of these things is not among Alice's hobbies?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Alice know if she has met a genius?
2. At what age did Alice stop practicing her music?
3. What nationality was Alice's father?
4. Cézanne's portrait of a woman inspired what Gertrude Stein work?
5. At what age did Alice develop a love of literature?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was referred to as "un petit Luxembourg?"
2. Why did it upset Mildred Aldrich to read Who's Who in America?
3. What was the initial purpose for Stein and Toklas to go to London?
4. Why was Gertrude grateful to have failed to receive her degree from Johns Hopkins?
5. What newspapers did Stein regularly read and why?
6. What prompted Max Jacob to dub the early 1900s "the heroic age of Cubism?
7. What was the impetus to convince Alice to travel to Europe for the first time?
8. Many people, mostly painters and writers, flocked to the Stein apartment. Why was 27 rue de Fleurus so popular?
9. How did Gertrude's father handle the separation and move to Vienna?
10. Describe Gertrude Stein's afternoon ritual.
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)