|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a chronic problem in Paris?
2. What military position did Alice's great-great-uncle hold?
3. What area of Paris is popular with artists?
(b) Place de la Concord
(c) Latin Quarter
4. What was the name of the large exposition building?
(a) Grand Palais
(d) Musée de l'Orangerie
5. What item did Picasso withhold from his wife?
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age did Alice stop practicing her music?
2. What year did Alice's grandfather go to California?
3. What was the name of the street where the Steins had an apartment?
4. What was the name of Stein's1,000-page book?
5. How does Alice refer to her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Among the people discussed with Fernande is Germaine Pichot. What is unusual about the wife of the Spanish painter?
2. Describe Gertrude Stein's afternoon ritual.
3. Why did it not matter to Gertrude Stein what language her literature was printed in?
4. Although one of the reasons Mr. Stein took his children to Europe was to receive a European education, he changed his mind regarding language when the family moved to California. Why?
5. Why did Harry Gibb push Stein to publish a big book that people could sink their teeth into?
6. When Alice first goes to the starting this apartment, she is introduced to Helene, the Stein's housekeeper. What are Alice's impressions of Helene?
7. Why was Helene surprised when she returned to the Stein apartment after her son had died?
8. Why did they Toklas say that war was not weighing heavily on people's minds in London?
9. What is the difference of opinion in between the Germans and the Spaniards regarding bullfighting?
10. Of the Americans that visited Paris, Picasso approved of very few. One woman of which Picasso approved was referred to as the Empress. Describe her.
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)