|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Some people thought Picasso resembled which famous American?
(a) Aaron Burr
(b) Ulysses S. Grant
(c) Abraham Lincoln
(d) George Washington
2. What was the name of the Stein's housekeeper?
3. Alice's relative raised a regiment for whom?
4. What was the name of the street where the Steins had an apartment?
(a) Rue de Rivoli
(b) Avenue Champagne
(c) Rue de Fleurus
(d) Champs Elysee
5. What was the name of the picture dealer in Paris that handled Cézanne's work?
Short Answer Questions
1. The brother of what famous dancer rented an atelier in the rue de Fleurus?
2. At what time of day did Gertrude Stein typically begin to work?
3. What was the name of one of the top two large spring salons?
4. How does Alice know if she has met a genius?
5. What was the name of the sculptor working on a figure of Gertrude Stein's nephew?
Short Essay Questions
1. The author claims that Alice's father came from Polish patriotic stock. What in Alice's history causes the author to make such a statement?
2. Why did the Whiteheads leave America?
3. How did Gertrude's father handle the separation and move to Vienna?
4. How did Stein and Toklas resolve their growing need for money?
5. How had Matisse's life changed since he arrived in Paris?
6. What is Gertrude Stein's brother's theory about the masking of unemployment in Paris?
7. What was the initial response to Gertrude Stein's "Three Lives?"
8. Why did they Toklas say that war was not weighing heavily on people's minds in London?
9. What about Picasso's paintings was considered to be entirely Spanish?
10. What newspapers did Stein regularly read and why?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)