|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom did Alice live?
(a) Aunt and Uncle
(b) Father and brother
(d) Two sisters
2. What was the name of the heroine of the moment?
3. Which artist is not mentioned in Chapter 2?
4. What is difficult for Alice to find?
(b) Temperate climate
(c) Sheet music
5. What area of Paris is popular with artists?
(b) Latin Quarter
(d) Place de la Concord
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had the relatives been living?
2. Whose relatives returned to California?
3. One of the paintings by Matisse that Stein loved was titled, "La Femme au Chapeau." What is the English translation of "chapeau?"
4. How old was Picasso when he painted the portrait of Gertrude Stein?
5. What was the name of the sculptor working on a figure of Gertrude Stein's nephew?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the initial response to Gertrude Stein's "Three Lives?"
2. How is Picasso described when he makes his first recorded visit to the Stein apartment?
3. According to Alice Gertrude Stein remained firmly born in Allegheny, Pennsylvania. What was one of the reasons that Gertrude refused to consider California her birthplace?
4. How did Stein and Toklas resolve their growing need for money?
5. What piece of literature inspired Stein to write Toklas' autobiography?
6. What newspapers did Stein regularly read and why?
7. Why did Harry Gibb push Stein to publish a big book that people could sink their teeth into?
8. What event precipitated the Steins move to Vienna?
9. Why did it not matter to Gertrude Stein what language her literature was printed in?
10. What caused Alice's grandfather to leave Paris?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)