|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Matisse when he received the first large offer from the spring salon?
2. Duret commented to an artist that there are two kinds of art. There is art, and then there is ___________________.
(a) pointless art
(b) official art
(c) commercial art
(d) Cubist art
3. What nationality flooded the rue de Fleurus?
4. With whom did Alice live?
(a) Aunt and Uncle
(b) Father and brother
(c) Two sisters
5. What was the name of Matisse's first large composition?
(a) Bonheur de Vivre
(d) Mademoiselle Stein
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what comic was Picasso fond?
2. What nationality was Alice's father?
3. According to Matisse, Gertrude's world was a ________________.
4. Stein had a weakness for what types of objects?
5. What area of Paris is popular with artists?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the premise of Stein's novel "The Making of Americans."
2. What prompted Gertrude and her brother to split up their art collection?
3. How had Matisse's life changed since he arrived in Paris?
4. What was the initial purpose for Stein and Toklas to go to London?
5. Why was Gertrude grateful to have failed to receive her degree from Johns Hopkins?
6. What about Picasso's paintings was considered to be entirely Spanish?
7. How did Stein and Toklas resolve their growing need for money?
8. The author claims that Alice's father came from Polish patriotic stock. What in Alice's history causes the author to make such a statement?
9. What was the significance of the black renaissance plate?
10. According to Alice Gertrude Stein remained firmly born in Allegheny, Pennsylvania. What was one of the reasons that Gertrude refused to consider California her birthplace?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)