Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Cézanne's portrait of a woman inspired what Gertrude Stein work?
(a) A Room of One's Own
(b) Three Lives
(c) An Awkward Age
2. What was the name of the heroine of the moment?
3. What was the name of the street on which the Picassos lived?
(a) avenue Foch
(b) rue d'Avron
(c) rue de Fleurus
(d) rue Ravignan
4. Who would supply the lessons to Alice?
5. Alice's father said, "if you must do a thing do it _____________."
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Matisse when he received the first large offer from the spring salon?
2. What was the name of the confectioner who made honey cakes and nut candies?
3. Who painted a portrait of Gertrude Stein?
4. At what age did Alice develop a love of literature?
5. Gertrude had a large number of photographs depicting what historical event?
Short Essay Questions
1. What possessions of Mrs. Stein's were of great fascination to Alice? Why?
2. Why did it upset Mildred Aldrich to read Who's Who in America?
3. What was referred to as "un petit Luxembourg?"
4. Why is it difficult for Alice to relate to her family's military service?
5. Why was Mildred Aldrich pleased by Gertrude Stein's success in England?
6. Why was Hemingway in Europe initially?
7. Why did William Cook's father refuse to believe there was war?
8. How does Gertrude Stein discover the works of Cézanne?
9. What caused the turbulent nature of the Picassos' relationship?
10. What about Picasso's paintings was considered to be entirely Spanish?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)