|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the street where the Steins had an apartment?
(a) Rue de Rivoli
(b) Avenue Champagne
(c) Champs Elysee
(d) Rue de Fleurus
2. Alice's father said, "if you must do a thing do it _____________."
3. What was the name of the Stein's housekeeper?
4. What was the name of the sculptor working on a figure of Gertrude Stein's nephew?
(a) Michelangelo Buonartti
(d) Kathleen Bruce
5. How does Alice refer to her mother?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the career choice of Matisse before he discovered painting?
2. Stein had a weakness for what types of objects?
3. What was Alice's great passion?
4. What was the name of the large exposition building?
5. What was Alice's mother's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Alice first goes to the starting this apartment, she is introduced to Helene, the Stein's housekeeper. What are Alice's impressions of Helene?
2. Why was Helene surprised when she returned to the Stein apartment after her son had died?
3. How did Gertrude's father handle the separation and move to Vienna?
4. Why did it upset Mildred Aldrich to read Who's Who in America?
5. What most impressed Alice about her first meeting with Gertrude Stein in Paris?
6. Why was Mildred Aldrich pleased by Gertrude Stein's success in England?
7. Why was Hemingway in Europe initially?
8. What event precipitated the Steins move to Vienna?
9. Why did William Cook's father refuse to believe there was war?
10. What newspapers did Stein regularly read and why?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)