|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When it came to writing, what was Stein's passion?
2. Who did Alice meet during her travels?
(a) Gertrude Stein
(b) Winston Churchill
(c) Ralph Waldo Emerson
(d) Charlie Chaplin
3. Where was Alice B. Toklas born?
(a) New York
(b) San Francisco
(d) San Antonio
4. What was the name of one of the top two large spring salons?
(c) Place de la Concord
(d) Musee de Montmartre
5. Stein had a weakness for what types of objects?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these people is not on Alice's list of geniuses?
2. Who was the inspiration for La Femme un Chapeau?
3. Where was Gertrude's brother living when he learned about Cézanne?
4. What was the former occupation of gallery owner, Sagot?
5. What was the name of the heroine of the moment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event precipitated the Steins move to Vienna?
2. In 1913, Helene left of the Stein household. What prompted the departure?
3. Why did Stein decide to write Toklas' autobiography?
4. Why does Gertrude Stein spend two years living in Baltimore?
5. How does Gertrude Stein discover the works of Cézanne?
6. What is Gertrude Stein's brother's theory about the masking of unemployment in Paris?
7. In the beginning of Chapter 2, Picasso had just finished his portrait of Gertrude Stein. Why was the painting not received from the time it was finished?
8. What was referred to as "un petit Luxembourg?"
9. What was the significance of the black renaissance plate?
10. What piece of literature inspired Stein to write Toklas' autobiography?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)