|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nationality was Alice's father?
2. What was Picasso's first name?
3. What was the name of Stein's1,000-page book?
(a) A Room of One's Own
(b) Three Lives
(c) The Making of Americans
(d) Catcher in the Rye
4. Where was Gertrude's brother living when he learned about Cézanne?
5. What was the price of Alice's lessons?
(a) $1.00 per day
(b) $.50 per hour
(c) $.75 per lesson
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Alice refer to her mother?
2. What did Mrs. Stein bring to California?
3. Where was Alice B. Toklas born?
4. What was the name of the picture dealer in Paris that handled Cézanne's work?
5. What nationality was Picasso?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Stein respond when Mrs. Bishop asked the writer to prompt the French government to create a Pondichery?
2. What event precipitated the Steins move to Vienna?
3. What was the initial response to Gertrude Stein's "Three Lives?"
4. Why did they Toklas say that war was not weighing heavily on people's minds in London?
5. What was the initial purpose for Stein and Toklas to go to London?
6. Why does Gertrude Stein spend two years living in Baltimore?
7. What caused Alice's grandfather to leave Paris?
8. Toklas claims that Stein and Fitzgerald had a peculiar way with each other. Explain.
9. What prompted Gertrude and her brother to split up their art collection?
10. Why did it upset Mildred Aldrich to read Who's Who in America?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)