|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Matisse apartment had a beautiful view of what Paris landmark?
(a) Notre Dame
(b) Ile de la Cité
(c) The Arc de Triomphe
(d) The Louvre
2. At what time of day did Gertrude Stein typically begin to work?
(a) 4:00 a.m.
(b) 12:00 p.m.
(c) 11:00 p.m.
(d) 2:00 p.m.
3. With whom did Alice live?
(a) Aunt and Uncle
(b) Two sisters
(c) Father and brother
4. What was the price of Alice's lessons?
(a) $.75 per lesson
(b) $1.00 per day
(d) $.50 per hour
5. Picasso painted a famous scene with friends gathered around what object?
Short Answer Questions
1. What lessons did Alice want to receive?
2. When it came to writing, what was Stein's passion?
3. What is difficult for Alice to find?
4. What famous school did Gertrude Stein attend?
5. How old was Matisse when he received the first large offer from the spring salon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How had Matisse's life changed since he arrived in Paris?
2. How did Stein respond when Mrs. Bishop asked the writer to prompt the French government to create a Pondichery?
3. Why did Stein decide to write Toklas' autobiography?
4. Why is it difficult for Alice to relate to her family's military service?
5. Why did William Cook's father refuse to believe there was war?
6. How did Alice come to meet Gertrude Stein's brother and sister-in-law?
7. What was Alice's living arrangement after the untimely death of her mother?
8. What is Gertrude Stein's brother's theory about the masking of unemployment in Paris?
9. What event precipitated the Steins move to Vienna?
10. What caused the turbulent nature of the Picassos' relationship?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)