|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what age did Alice develop a love of literature?
2. What was the cost of the Matisse painting of the woman and the dog?
(a) 1000 francs
(b) 250 francs
(c) 500 francs
(d) 100 francs
3. Some people thought Picasso resembled which famous American?
(a) Ulysses S. Grant
(b) George Washington
(c) Aaron Burr
(d) Abraham Lincoln
4. What famous school did Gertrude Stein attend?
(b) Johns Hopkins
5. Where was Alice B. Toklas born?
(b) San Francisco
(c) San Antonio
(d) New York
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the price of Alice's lessons?
2. Where did Alice choose as a travel destination?
3. Gertrude Stein's brother had a fondness for what type of art?
4. What item did Picasso withhold from his wife?
5. At what age did Alice stop practicing her music?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was referred to as "un petit Luxembourg?"
2. Although one of the reasons Mr. Stein took his children to Europe was to receive a European education, he changed his mind regarding language when the family moved to California. Why?
3. What was Alice's living arrangement after the untimely death of her mother?
4. Why did it not matter to Gertrude Stein what language her literature was printed in?
5. How does Gertrude Stein discover the works of Cézanne?
6. Many people, mostly painters and writers, flocked to the Stein apartment. Why was 27 rue de Fleurus so popular?
7. Why was Mildred Aldrich pleased by Gertrude Stein's success in England?
8. What caused Alice to throw herself into literature after having spent so much time studying music?
9. What about Picasso's paintings was considered to be entirely Spanish?
10. What was the initial response to Gertrude Stein's "Three Lives?"
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)