|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Duret commented to an artist that there are two kinds of art. There is art, and then there is ___________________.
(a) commercial art
(b) pointless art
(c) Cubist art
(d) official art
2. What event caused Alice to lapse with her music?
(c) San Francisco fire
(d) Her mother's death
3. What nationality was Alice's father?
4. What was the name of the Stein's housekeeper?
5. Cézanne's portrait of a woman inspired what Gertrude Stein work?
(a) Three Lives
(b) A Room of One's Own
(d) An Awkward Age
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the street on which the Picassos lived?
2. Where was Gertrude's brother living when he learned about Cézanne?
3. What military position did Alice's great-great-uncle hold?
4. Who was the inspiration for La Femme un Chapeau?
5. What did Mrs. Stein bring to California?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Picasso described when he makes his first recorded visit to the Stein apartment?
2. Among the people discussed with Fernande is Germaine Pichot. What is unusual about the wife of the Spanish painter?
3. In the beginning of Chapter 2, Picasso had just finished his portrait of Gertrude Stein. Why was the painting not received from the time it was finished?
4. What was referred to as "un petit Luxembourg?"
5. Describe Gertrude Stein's afternoon ritual.
6. How did Stein and Toklas resolve their growing need for money?
7. Why did Alice neglect to pursue education or a career while in San Francisco?
8. What was the significance of the black renaissance plate?
9. How does Gertrude Stein discover the works of Cézanne?
10. What piece of literature inspired Stein to write Toklas' autobiography?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)