|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Alice's great passion?
2. What nationality was Picasso?
3. What is a chronic problem in Paris?
4. What author did Alice most admire?
(a) Thomas Hardy
(b) Henry James
(c) T.S. Eliot
(d) Gertrude Stein
5. What was the former occupation of gallery owner, Sagot?
(a) circus clown
Short Answer Questions
1. Who would supply the lessons to Alice?
2. Gertrude Stein's brother discovered what unknown artist at Sagot's gallery?
3. Who painted a portrait of Gertrude Stein?
4. What item did Picasso withhold from his wife?
5. Alice had no desire to __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. The author claims that Alice's father came from Polish patriotic stock. What in Alice's history causes the author to make such a statement?
2. What newspapers did Stein regularly read and why?
3. What was the initial purpose for Stein and Toklas to go to London?
4. How did Stein respond when Mrs. Bishop asked the writer to prompt the French government to create a Pondichery?
5. Why does Stern say Americans are like Spaniards?
6. What is Gertrude Stein's brother's theory about the masking of unemployment in Paris?
7. Why is it difficult for Alice to relate to her family's military service?
8. What was one of the reasons Alice cannot understand Gertrude's insistence upon remaining connected to Allegheny, Pennsylvania?
9. What prompted Max Jacob to dub the early 1900s "the heroic age of Cubism?
10. Gertrude Stein left California when she was 17-years-old. The author describes the writer as having a drastic change of lifestyle when she moved to the East Coast. What was the main change in Gertrude's life at that time?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)