|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the book that Gertrude Stein was having privately printed in 1907?
(a) Three Lives
(b) The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas
(c) An Awkward Age
(d) The Making of Americans
2. What was the name of the heroine of the moment?
3. Who did Alice meet during her travels?
(a) Ralph Waldo Emerson
(b) Charlie Chaplin
(c) Gertrude Stein
(d) Winston Churchill
4. What famous school did Gertrude Stein attend?
(c) Johns Hopkins
5. What year did Alice's grandfather go to California?
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality flooded the rue de Fleurus?
2. Stein had a weakness for what types of objects?
3. What was the name of the street where the Steins had an apartment?
4. Picasso painted a famous scene with friends gathered around what object?
5. Alice had no desire to __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the initial response to Gertrude Stein's "Three Lives?"
2. Why is it difficult for Alice to relate to her family's military service?
3. What was one of the reasons Alice cannot understand Gertrude's insistence upon remaining connected to Allegheny, Pennsylvania?
4. How had Matisse's life changed since he arrived in Paris?
5. Why was Mildred Aldrich pleased by Gertrude Stein's success in England?
6. Why did they Toklas say that war was not weighing heavily on people's minds in London?
7. What possessions of Mrs. Stein's were of great fascination to Alice? Why?
8. How does Gertrude Stein discover the works of Cézanne?
9. What event precipitated the Steins move to Vienna?
10. Why was it difficult for the Picassos to decide where their son would be baptized?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)