|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the English translation of "un coup de foudre?"
(a) A political arrest
(b) Love at first sight
(c) Civil unrest
(d) A collection of paintings
2. What was the name of the sculptor working on a figure of Gertrude Stein's nephew?
(b) Michelangelo Buonartti
(c) Kathleen Bruce
3. At what age did Alice develop a love of literature?
4. Where did Alice choose as a travel destination?
5. What was the name of the street on which the Picassos lived?
(a) rue Ravignan
(b) rue d'Avron
(c) avenue Foch
(d) rue de Fleurus
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time of day did Gertrude Stein typically begin to work?
2. What did Mrs. Stein bring to California?
3. What was Alice's mother's name?
4. The Matisse apartment had a beautiful view of what Paris landmark?
5. What event preceded the fire?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the beginning of Chapter 2, Picasso had just finished his portrait of Gertrude Stein. Why was the painting not received from the time it was finished?
2. Although one of the reasons Mr. Stein took his children to Europe was to receive a European education, he changed his mind regarding language when the family moved to California. Why?
3. What possessions of Mrs. Stein's were of great fascination to Alice? Why?
4. What was one of the reasons Alice cannot understand Gertrude's insistence upon remaining connected to Allegheny, Pennsylvania?
5. Why is it unusual for Picasso to paint a portrait of Gertrude Stein?
6. Why did Alice neglect to pursue education or a career while in San Francisco?
7. What prompted Max Jacob to dub the early 1900s "the heroic age of Cubism?
8. Gertrude Stein left California when she was 17-years-old. The author describes the writer as having a drastic change of lifestyle when she moved to the East Coast. What was the main change in Gertrude's life at that time?
9. Many people, mostly painters and writers, flocked to the Stein apartment. Why was 27 rue de Fleurus so popular?
10. How had Matisse's life changed since he arrived in Paris?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)