|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Alice refer to her mother?
2. What was the name of Stein's1,000-page book?
(a) The Making of Americans
(b) Three Lives
(c) Catcher in the Rye
(d) A Room of One's Own
3. Alice had no desire to __________________.
(d) Play music
4. Alice's grandmother was very fond of __________________.
(d) The ocean
5. What is the English translation of "un coup de foudre?"
(a) Civil unrest
(b) A collection of paintings
(c) A political arrest
(d) Love at first sight
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Alice's great passion?
2. Some people thought Picasso resembled which famous American?
3. Who did Alice meet during her travels?
4. Stein had a weakness for what types of objects?
5. What event preceded the fire?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gertrude Stein discover the works of Cézanne?
2. What was the initial purpose for Stein and Toklas to go to London?
3. Why did Stein decide to write Toklas' autobiography?
4. Of the Americans that visited Paris, Picasso approved of very few. One woman of which Picasso approved was referred to as the Empress. Describe her.
5. What was one of the reasons Alice cannot understand Gertrude's insistence upon remaining connected to Allegheny, Pennsylvania?
6. Why does Gertrude Stein spend two years living in Baltimore?
7. What is the difference of opinion in between the Germans and the Spaniards regarding bullfighting?
8. Why did they Toklas say that war was not weighing heavily on people's minds in London?
9. What prompted Max Jacob to dub the early 1900s "the heroic age of Cubism?
10. What about Picasso's paintings was considered to be entirely Spanish?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)