|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Alice meet during her travels?
(a) Ralph Waldo Emerson
(b) Charlie Chaplin
(c) Winston Churchill
(d) Gertrude Stein
2. Where had the relatives been living?
3. Duret commented to an artist that there are two kinds of art. There is art, and then there is ___________________.
(a) Cubist art
(b) pointless art
(c) official art
(d) commercial art
4. What was the name of the Stein's housekeeper?
5. Alice's father said, "if you must do a thing do it _____________."
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Alice refer to her mother?
2. One of the paintings by Matisse that Stein loved was titled, "La Femme au Chapeau." What is the English translation of "chapeau?"
3. Who painted a portrait of Gertrude Stein?
4. What nationality flooded the rue de Fleurus?
5. Some people thought Picasso resembled which famous American?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event precipitated the Steins move to Vienna?
2. Why was Helene surprised when she returned to the Stein apartment after her son had died?
3. What inspired Picasso to devote himself to Cubism?
4. Why did Stein decide to write Toklas' autobiography?
5. Why was Hemingway in Europe initially?
6. What about Picasso's paintings was considered to be entirely Spanish?
7. Why did Toklas say it was with "infinite relief England came into the war"?
8. What was the initial response to Gertrude Stein's "Three Lives?"
9. How did Alice come to meet Gertrude Stein's brother and sister-in-law?
10. What newspapers did Stein regularly read and why?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)