|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Stein and Toklas decided to settle down temporarily, in what location?
(d) Palma de Majorca
2. What was the name of Picasso's second wife?
3. Who did Alice referred to as being "a tormented and not particularly sympathetic character"?
(a) Juan Gris
(b) Victor Hugo
(c) Alfred Whitehead
(d) Erik Satie
4. Gertrude Stein family is described in what book?
(a) The Making of Americans
(b) The Doppelgänger
(c) Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas
5. What war preceded the first world war?
(a) War of 1812
(b) Russian Japanese war
(c) French and Indian war
(d) Spanish Civil War
6. Where was Gertrude Stein born?
7. What trait did Stein profess to have?
8. Stein claims that Cubism is a concept that can be attributed to...
9. Who sent money to Stein and Toklas in London?
(a) Alice's mother
(b) William James
(c) Stein's cousin
10. In what city did the couple have difficulties getting their passports approved?
11. What was the Stein's opinion of Dickens?
(a) she thought he was without talent
(b) she thought he was brilliant
(c) she thought he was frightening
(d) she thought he was overrated
12. While in medical school, Gertrude was well-known for...
(a) cutting class
(b) being disrespectful to professors
(c) excelling in anatomy
(d) original scientific work
13. What was Ronnebeck's profession?
14. What experiment did Gertrude perform and eventually write a paper about?
(a) psychology of an expatriate
(b) chemical reactions of sugar
(d) automatic writing
15. Where did the Whitehead lived before moving to London?
(b) San Francisco
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the college Gertrude first attended?
2. To whom does Alice refer to as the third genius?
3. Who was forced to leave the Stein apartment at the insistence of a spouse?
4. According to Stein, only Americans and Spaniards can understand what concept?
5. What was the occupation of the couple's military godson?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)