|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the Steins move when they left Paris?
2. What war preceded the first world war?
(a) Russian Japanese war
(b) French and Indian war
(c) War of 1812
(d) Spanish Civil War
3. Where did Gertrude often spend the summer months?
(a) San Francisco
(c) house in the country
(d) the ocean
4. Gertrude had no talent for what art form?
5. While in medical school, Gertrude was well-known for...
(a) excelling in anatomy
(b) being disrespectful to professors
(c) original scientific work
(d) cutting class
6. What kind of vehicle was being sent to Stein and Toklas?
(a) Ford truck
(c) Alfa Romeo
7. Where did Matisse buy a house?
(a) rue de Fleurus
8. What was the name of Stein's and Toklas' mallorcan hound
9. What was the main problem with publishing "The Making of Americans?"
(a) required editing
(b) subject matter
10. Who did Alice referred to as being "a tormented and not particularly sympathetic character"?
(a) Erik Satie
(b) Alfred Whitehead
(c) Victor Hugo
(d) Juan Gris
11. Where was Stein's first European residence?
12. Who was the guest of honor at Fernande's banquet?
13. During this time who became Picasso's closest friend?
14. What kind of alarms were commonplace during this time?
(a) fire drill
(d) atomic bomb
15. According to Stein Germans lack what ability?
(b) intelligent thought
(d) common sense
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Gertrude going to travel to London in the summer?
2. The Steins moved again when Gertrude was three-years-old. To what city did they transfer?
3. What was the name of Stein's first publisher?
4. Who sent money to Stein and Toklas in London?
5. What year did Gertrude's brother move away from Paris?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)