|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item was not taken by Stein when visiting a military area?
(b) French matriculation papers
(c) bank deposit slip
(d) driver's license
2. What activity did Matisse perform every afternoon?
(a) sketching in the nude
(b) taking a nap in the sun
(c) walking the family's dogs
(d) drinking wine by the Lake
3. Fernande refers to Picasso as...
(a) a precocious child
(b) an undiscovered genius
(c) a dirty old man
(d) an intellectual wit
4. While in medical school, Gertrude was well-known for...
(a) being disrespectful to professors
(b) cutting class
(c) original scientific work
(d) excelling in anatomy
5. What kind of alarms were commonplace during this time?
(b) atomic bomb
(c) fire drill
6. What experiment did Gertrude perform and eventually write a paper about?
(a) chemical reactions of sugar
(b) psychology of an expatriate
(d) automatic writing
7. What trait did Stein profess to have?
8. What is the English translation of "Nullement en danger ne t'inquiete pas?"
(a) It is the quiet ones that are dangerous
(b) That there is no danger, don't worry
(c) She suffers in quiet danger
(d) There is a danger of running out of tuna fish
9. What kept Stein from practicing medicine?
(a) she never received her degree
(b) the war began
(c) she decided to pursue psychology
(d) her father died
10. What was Ronnebeck's profession?
11. Stein claims that Cubism is a concept that can be attributed to...
12. How did Stein and Toklas have to confirm their identity when picking up the money?
(a) by taking a polygraph test
(b) by submitting passports
(c) by being weighed and measured
(d) by producing letters of recommendation
13. What was John Lane's favorite food in Provence?
(d) foie gras
14. What was the name of Stein's first publisher?
(a) John Lane
(b) David Starr Jordan
(c) Alfred Whitehead
(d) Alfred Steglitz
15. What does Stein feel in regard to intellectual people?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Stein Germans lack what ability?
2. Which is not one of Gertrude's favorite saints?
3. What was the name of the college Gertrude first attended?
4. What was the main problem with publishing "The Making of Americans?"
5. Stein and Toklas decided to settle down temporarily, in what location?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)