|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gertrude had no talent for what art form?
2. What was the occupation of the couple's military godson?
3. What year did Gertrude's brother move away from Paris?
4. Which of these things was not part of Gertrude's childhood memory in California?
(a) park rangers
(b) eucalyptus trees
5. What was the name of Picasso's oldest friend?
6. According to Stein, only Americans and Spaniards can understand what concept?
7. Where did the Steins go when they returned to America?
(a) Rhode Island
(c) New York
8. What kind of vehicle was being sent to Stein and Toklas?
(a) Alfa Romeo
(c) Ford truck
9. What writer did Stein refer to as "the greatest of the Victorians?"
(a) Anthony Trollope
(b) Thomas Hardy
(c) Henry James
(d) Samuel Beckett
10. Who refused to believe that there was going to be a war?
(b) Americans in Europe
(c) Hungarians in Paris
11. What was the name of Picasso's second wife?
12. What activity did Matisse perform every afternoon?
(a) sketching in the nude
(b) walking the family's dogs
(c) drinking wine by the Lake
(d) taking a nap in the sun
13. At what age did Gertrude attempt to write a Shakespearean drama?
14. Where did the Whitehead lived before moving to London?
(a) San Francisco
15. Who is John Lane?
Short Answer Questions
1. The German ship, Fangturm, sold what items to the Mediterranean ports?
2. What trait did Stein profess to have?
3. What was the name of Stein's first publisher?
4. Gertrude Stein family is described in what book?
5. What kept Stein from practicing medicine?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)