|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Fernande refers to Picasso as...
(a) a precocious child
(b) an intellectual wit
(c) a dirty old man
(d) an undiscovered genius
2. Where was Stein's first European residence?
3. The German ship, Fangturm, sold what items to the Mediterranean ports?
(a) socks and shoes
(b) pins and needles
(c) guns and ammo
(d) coffee and tea
4. Which of these items was not a feature at the Matisse house?
5. What was John Lane's favorite food in Provence?
(b) foie gras
6. While in medical school, Gertrude was well-known for...
(a) being disrespectful to professors
(b) excelling in anatomy
(c) original scientific work
(d) cutting class
7. Who sent money to Stein and Toklas in London?
(a) William James
(c) Stein's cousin
(d) Alice's mother
8. Where did the Steins move when they left Paris?
9. What year did Gertrude's brother move away from Paris?
10. What was Ronnebeck's profession?
11. Stein and Toklas decided to settle down temporarily, in what location?
(d) Palma de Majorca
12. What was the occupation of the couple's military godson?
13. Who did Alice referred to as being "a tormented and not particularly sympathetic character"?
(a) Erik Satie
(b) Victor Hugo
(c) Alfred Whitehead
(d) Juan Gris
14. For what animal did Gertrude have a fondness?
15. Who was forced to leave the Stein apartment at the insistence of a spouse?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of vehicle was being sent to Stein and Toklas?
2. At what age did Gertrude attempt to write a Shakespearean drama?
3. Who was the first person to quote Gertrude Stein's work to her?
4. Where did the Whitehead lived before moving to London?
5. Where was Gertrude Stein born?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)