|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the Steins go when they returned to America?
(a) New York
(d) Rhode Island
2. Who was forced to leave the Stein apartment at the insistence of a spouse?
3. What was the main problem with publishing "The Making of Americans?"
(a) required editing
(b) subject matter
4. Where did Gertrude often spend the summer months?
(b) the ocean
(c) San Francisco
(d) house in the country
5. Who sent money to Stein and Toklas in London?
(a) Stein's cousin
(c) Alice's mother
(d) William James
6. Gertrude had no talent for what art form?
7. Which of these things was not part of Gertrude's childhood memory in California?
(b) park rangers
(d) eucalyptus trees
8. To whom does Alice refer to as the third genius?
(b) Alfred Whitehead
(c) William Cook
(d) Magritte Matisse
9. In what city did the couple have difficulties getting their passports approved?
10. What kind of vehicle was being sent to Stein and Toklas?
(c) Ford truck
(d) Alfa Romeo
11. Who was the first person to quote Gertrude Stein's work to her?
12. Who did Alice referred to as being "a tormented and not particularly sympathetic character"?
(a) Erik Satie
(b) Alfred Whitehead
(c) Victor Hugo
(d) Juan Gris
13. Who was the guest of honor at Fernande's banquet?
14. According to Stein Germans lack what ability?
(a) common sense
(c) intelligent thought
15. What was the Stein's opinion of Dickens?
(a) she thought he was frightening
(b) she thought he was overrated
(c) she thought he was without talent
(d) she thought he was brilliant
Short Answer Questions
1. Gertrude Stein family is described in what book?
2. What artist did Stein refer to as the Leonardo da Vinci of the movement?
3. The German ship, Fangturm, sold what items to the Mediterranean ports?
4. Where did Matisse buy a house?
5. Where did the Steins move when they left Paris?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)