|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Stein, what kind of country is Germany?
2. According to Stein, only Americans and Spaniards can understand what concept?
3. How did Stein and Toklas have to confirm their identity when picking up the money?
(a) by submitting passports
(b) by taking a polygraph test
(c) by being weighed and measured
(d) by producing letters of recommendation
4. What publication published Gertrude's paper?
(a) Christian Science Monitor
(b) Harvard Psychological Review
(c) New York Times
(d) Journal of Medicine
5. Stein claims to dislike the things that are...
6. Why was Gertrude going to travel to London in the summer?
(a) to visit John Lane
(b) to begin a book tour
(c) for the Queen's coronation
(d) to get away from Paris
7. Where did the Steins go when they returned to America?
(a) New York
(b) Rhode Island
8. Who is John Lane?
9. Where did the Steins move when they left Paris?
10. Who did Alice referred to as being "a tormented and not particularly sympathetic character"?
(a) Alfred Whitehead
(b) Victor Hugo
(c) Erik Satie
(d) Juan Gris
11. Gertrude won an award for describing what object?
(a) the family cat
(d) a dinner plate
12. What kept Stein from practicing medicine?
(a) the war began
(b) her father died
(c) she never received her degree
(d) she decided to pursue psychology
13. For what animal did Gertrude have a fondness?
14. Who was the first person to quote Gertrude Stein's work to her?
15. How did Alfy describe Paris after the battle of the Marne?
(a) like a blink in time
(b) like a colicky child
(c) like an angry tornado
(d) like pale absinthe
Short Answer Questions
1. Stein claims that Cubism is a concept that can be attributed to...
2. During this time who became Picasso's closest friend?
3. Gertrude Stein family is described in what book?
4. Which of these things was not part of Gertrude's childhood memory in California?
5. Where was Stein's first European residence?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)