|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Alice refer to as the third genius?
(b) Magritte Matisse
(c) Alfred Whitehead
(d) William Cook
2. What was Ronnebeck's profession?
3. At what age did Gertrude attempt to write a Shakespearean drama?
4. Why was Gertrude going to travel to London in the summer?
(a) to begin a book tour
(b) to get away from Paris
(c) for the Queen's coronation
(d) to visit John Lane
5. According to Stein, what kind of country is Germany?
6. During this time who became Picasso's closest friend?
7. What activity did Matisse perform every afternoon?
(a) sketching in the nude
(b) walking the family's dogs
(c) taking a nap in the sun
(d) drinking wine by the Lake
8. Gertrude Stein family is described in what book?
(a) The Making of Americans
(b) The Doppelgänger
(d) Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas
9. What was the occupation of the couple's military godson?
10. What kind of alarms were commonplace during this time?
(b) fire drill
(d) atomic bomb
11. Where was Stein's first European residence?
12. Stein claims to dislike the things that are...
13. The Steins moved again when Gertrude was three-years-old. To what city did they transfer?
14. Where did Alice go with Gertrude and her brother?
15. Who is John Lane?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stein feel in regard to intellectual people?
2. What was the main problem with publishing "The Making of Americans?"
3. Where did the Whitehead lived before moving to London?
4. Where did the Steins go when they returned to America?
5. What writer did Stein refer to as "the greatest of the Victorians?"
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)