|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kept Stein from practicing medicine?
(a) she decided to pursue psychology
(b) her father died
(c) she never received her degree
(d) the war began
2. It was in 1914 the Picasso began to choose what kind of paint?
3. According to Stein Germans lack what ability?
(a) common sense
(c) intelligent thought
4. What kind of vehicle was being sent to Stein and Toklas?
(a) Ford truck
(d) Alfa Romeo
5. Which of these things was not part of Gertrude's childhood memory in California?
(b) eucalyptus trees
(c) park rangers
6. What item was not taken by Stein when visiting a military area?
(b) French matriculation papers
(c) driver's license
(d) bank deposit slip
7. What does Stein feel in regard to intellectual people?
8. The Steins moved again when Gertrude was three-years-old. To what city did they transfer?
9. Why was Gertrude going to travel to London in the summer?
(a) to get away from Paris
(b) for the Queen's coronation
(c) to visit John Lane
(d) to begin a book tour
10. What artist did Stein refer to as the Leonardo da Vinci of the movement?
11. Where did Matisse buy a house?
(b) rue de Fleurus
12. What was the Stein's opinion of Dickens?
(a) she thought he was frightening
(b) she thought he was brilliant
(c) she thought he was overrated
(d) she thought he was without talent
13. What experiment did Gertrude perform and eventually write a paper about?
(b) psychology of an expatriate
(c) automatic writing
(d) chemical reactions of sugar
14. What trait did Stein profess to have?
15. Gertrude Stein family is described in what book?
(a) The Doppelgänger
(b) Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas
(d) The Making of Americans
Short Answer Questions
1. What activity did Matisse perform every afternoon?
2. What writer did Stein refer to as "the greatest of the Victorians?"
3. Fernande refers to Picasso as...
4. What item did Gertrude bring back from Rome that was later broken?
5. According to Stein, what kind of country is Germany?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)