|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the main problem with publishing "The Making of Americans?"
(b) subject matter
(c) required editing
2. What trait did Stein profess to have?
3. Where did Alice go with Gertrude and her brother?
4. Stein and Toklas decided to settle down temporarily, in what location?
(b) Palma de Majorca
5. How did Stein and Toklas have to confirm their identity when picking up the money?
(a) by submitting passports
(b) by taking a polygraph test
(c) by being weighed and measured
(d) by producing letters of recommendation
6. Which of these items was not a feature at the Matisse house?
7. What publication published Gertrude's paper?
(a) Christian Science Monitor
(b) New York Times
(c) Harvard Psychological Review
(d) Journal of Medicine
8. Where did Gertrude often spend the summer months?
(b) the ocean
(c) house in the country
(d) San Francisco
9. The German ship, Fangturm, sold what items to the Mediterranean ports?
(a) socks and shoes
(b) pins and needles
(c) guns and ammo
(d) coffee and tea
10. The Steins moved again when Gertrude was three-years-old. To what city did they transfer?
11. According to Stein Germans lack what ability?
(c) intelligent thought
(d) common sense
12. According to Stein, only Americans and Spaniards can understand what concept?
13. Where did the Whitehead lived before moving to London?
(d) San Francisco
14. Where did Matisse buy a house?
(a) rue de Fleurus
15. Stein claims to dislike the things that are...
Short Answer Questions
1. Stein claims that Cubism is a concept that can be attributed to...
2. Which is not one of Gertrude's favorite saints?
3. What kept Stein from practicing medicine?
4. What year did Gertrude's brother move away from Paris?
5. What item did Gertrude bring back from Rome that was later broken?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)