|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What European city did Stein take a disliking to upon her first visit?
2. What was the main problem with publishing "The Making of Americans?"
(b) subject matter
(d) required editing
3. What item did Gertrude bring back from Rome that was later broken?
4. What was Ronnebeck's profession?
5. Gertrude Stein family is described in what book?
(a) The Doppelgänger
(c) Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas
(d) The Making of Americans
6. In what city did the couple have difficulties getting their passports approved?
7. What kind of alarms were commonplace during this time?
(a) atomic bomb
(d) fire drill
8. According to Stein Germans lack what ability?
(a) common sense
(b) intelligent thought
9. The German ship, Fangturm, sold what items to the Mediterranean ports?
(a) coffee and tea
(b) socks and shoes
(c) guns and ammo
(d) pins and needles
10. What writer did Stein refer to as "the greatest of the Victorians?"
(a) Henry James
(b) Thomas Hardy
(c) Anthony Trollope
(d) Samuel Beckett
11. What artist did Stein refer to as the Leonardo da Vinci of the movement?
12. What item was not taken by Stein when visiting a military area?
(a) French matriculation papers
(c) driver's license
(d) bank deposit slip
13. What activity did Matisse perform every afternoon?
(a) drinking wine by the Lake
(b) sketching in the nude
(c) taking a nap in the sun
(d) walking the family's dogs
14. Stein claims that Cubism is a concept that can be attributed to...
15. What was the name of Stein's first publisher?
(a) Alfred Steglitz
(b) David Starr Jordan
(c) John Lane
(d) Alfred Whitehead
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Alice referred to as being "a tormented and not particularly sympathetic character"?
2. Where did Gertrude often spend the summer months?
3. During this time who became Picasso's closest friend?
4. It was in 1914 the Picasso began to choose what kind of paint?
5. Who taught Gertrude Stein, how to drive?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)