|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what animal did Gertrude have a fondness?
2. How did Stein and Toklas have to confirm their identity when picking up the money?
(a) by submitting passports
(b) by taking a polygraph test
(c) by producing letters of recommendation
(d) by being weighed and measured
3. Stein claims to dislike the things that are...
4. It was in 1914 the Picasso began to choose what kind of paint?
5. Stein and Toklas decided to settle down temporarily, in what location?
(b) Palma de Majorca
6. Who did Alice referred to as being "a tormented and not particularly sympathetic character"?
(a) Victor Hugo
(b) Juan Gris
(c) Alfred Whitehead
(d) Erik Satie
7. What European city did Stein take a disliking to upon her first visit?
8. What war preceded the first world war?
(a) Spanish Civil War
(b) French and Indian war
(c) War of 1812
(d) Russian Japanese war
9. Who is John Lane?
10. While in medical school, Gertrude was well-known for...
(a) being disrespectful to professors
(b) original scientific work
(c) cutting class
(d) excelling in anatomy
11. Who refused to believe that there was going to be a war?
(b) Hungarians in Paris
(d) Americans in Europe
12. According to Stein Germans lack what ability?
(b) intelligent thought
(d) common sense
13. What artist did Stein refer to as the Leonardo da Vinci of the movement?
14. Where did Alice go with Gertrude and her brother?
15. Gertrude won an award for describing what object?
(a) a dinner plate
(b) the family cat
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Gertrude Stein born?
2. What was the name of Picasso's second wife?
3. According to Stein, what kind of country is Germany?
4. Which of these items was not a feature at the Matisse house?
5. In what city did the couple have difficulties getting their passports approved?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)