|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is John Lane?
2. While in medical school, Gertrude was well-known for...
(a) excelling in anatomy
(b) being disrespectful to professors
(c) original scientific work
(d) cutting class
3. What maneuver in driving was difficult for Gertrude?
(a) backing up
(b) parallel parking
(c) three-point turn
(d) driving in snow
4. How did Stein and Toklas have to confirm their identity when picking up the money?
(a) by producing letters of recommendation
(b) by taking a polygraph test
(c) by submitting passports
(d) by being weighed and measured
5. Gertrude had no talent for what art form?
6. According to Stein, what kind of country is Germany?
7. Gertrude Stein family is described in what book?
(a) The Making of Americans
(b) The Doppelgänger
(c) Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas
8. For what animal did Gertrude have a fondness?
9. What was the main problem with publishing "The Making of Americans?"
(a) required editing
(b) subject matter
10. Who sent money to Stein and Toklas in London?
(a) Alice's mother
(c) William James
(d) Stein's cousin
11. What was the name of Picasso's oldest friend?
12. Stein claims to dislike the things that are...
13. Where was Stein's first European residence?
14. To whom does Alice refer to as the third genius?
(a) Alfred Whitehead
(b) William Cook
(d) Magritte Matisse
15. Where did the Steins move when they left Paris?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city did the couple have difficulties getting their passports approved?
2. How did Alfy describe Paris after the battle of the Marne?
3. Who was the guest of honor at Fernande's banquet?
4. What was the name of Stein's and Toklas' mallorcan hound
5. Which of these items was not a feature at the Matisse house?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)