|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Ronnebeck's profession?
2. At what age did Gertrude attempt to write a Shakespearean drama?
3. The Steins moved again when Gertrude was three-years-old. To what city did they transfer?
4. What European city did Stein take a disliking to upon her first visit?
5. Gertrude Stein family is described in what book?
(a) The Making of Americans
(b) The Doppelgänger
(d) Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas
6. What was the name of Picasso's second wife?
7. Where did the Whitehead lived before moving to London?
(a) San Francisco
8. Where was Stein's first European residence?
9. What item was not taken by Stein when visiting a military area?
(a) bank deposit slip
(b) driver's license
(d) French matriculation papers
10. What artist did Stein refer to as the Leonardo da Vinci of the movement?
11. What activity did Matisse perform every afternoon?
(a) drinking wine by the Lake
(b) walking the family's dogs
(c) sketching in the nude
(d) taking a nap in the sun
12. Stein claims to dislike the things that are...
13. What was the Stein's opinion of Dickens?
(a) she thought he was brilliant
(b) she thought he was without talent
(c) she thought he was frightening
(d) she thought he was overrated
14. According to Stein, only Americans and Spaniards can understand what concept?
15. Alice describes her Saturday evenings in Paris to what object?
(a) single malt Scotch
(d) roller coaster
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the main problem with publishing "The Making of Americans?"
2. How did Stein and Toklas have to confirm their identity when picking up the money?
3. Fernande refers to Picasso as...
4. Which is not one of Gertrude's favorite saints?
5. What was John Lane's favorite food in Provence?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)