|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Alice go to Paris?
2. Where did Gertrude often spend the summer months?
(a) the ocean
(c) San Francisco
(d) house in the country
3. Stein claims to dislike the things that are...
4. Where did Alice go with Gertrude and her brother?
5. What was the occupation of the couple's military godson?
6. To whom does Alice refer to as the third genius?
(a) William Cook
(b) Alfred Whitehead
(c) Magritte Matisse
7. What writer did Stein refer to as "the greatest of the Victorians?"
(a) Samuel Beckett
(b) Henry James
(c) Anthony Trollope
(d) Thomas Hardy
8. Stein claims that Cubism is a concept that can be attributed to...
9. Why was Gertrude going to travel to London in the summer?
(a) to get away from Paris
(b) to begin a book tour
(c) for the Queen's coronation
(d) to visit John Lane
10. Gertrude had no talent for what art form?
11. Who refused to believe that there was going to be a war?
(c) Americans in Europe
(d) Hungarians in Paris
12. To whom did Stein give her first novel for review?
(a) Lewis Bromfield
(b) Marguerite Matisse
(c) Pablo Picasso
(d) Alice B. Toklas
13. Where did the Steins go when they returned to America?
(a) Rhode Island
(c) New York
14. Where did the Whitehead lived before moving to London?
(b) San Francisco
15. Who is John Lane?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Stein's and Toklas' mallorcan hound
2. The German ship, Fangturm, sold what items to the Mediterranean ports?
3. According to Stein, only Americans and Spaniards can understand what concept?
4. What was Ronnebeck's profession?
5. It was in 1914 the Picasso began to choose what kind of paint?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)