|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stein feel in regard to intellectual people?
2. What publication published Gertrude's paper?
(a) Journal of Medicine
(b) Christian Science Monitor
(c) New York Times
(d) Harvard Psychological Review
3. What was the Stein's opinion of Dickens?
(a) she thought he was without talent
(b) she thought he was frightening
(c) she thought he was brilliant
(d) she thought he was overrated
4. Fernande refers to Picasso as...
(a) a dirty old man
(b) a precocious child
(c) an intellectual wit
(d) an undiscovered genius
5. Who did Alice referred to as being "a tormented and not particularly sympathetic character"?
(a) Juan Gris
(b) Alfred Whitehead
(c) Victor Hugo
(d) Erik Satie
6. What is the English translation of "Nullement en danger ne t'inquiete pas?"
(a) She suffers in quiet danger
(b) That there is no danger, don't worry
(c) It is the quiet ones that are dangerous
(d) There is a danger of running out of tuna fish
7. Who was the first person to quote Gertrude Stein's work to her?
8. Where did the Stein family settle on the West Coast?
(c) Salt Lake City
9. Who refused to believe that there was going to be a war?
(a) Hungarians in Paris
(b) Americans in Europe
10. What was the name of Stein's first publisher?
(a) Alfred Whitehead
(b) David Starr Jordan
(c) Alfred Steglitz
(d) John Lane
11. What was the name of the college Gertrude first attended?
12. What writer did Stein refer to as "the greatest of the Victorians?"
(a) Samuel Beckett
(b) Thomas Hardy
(c) Henry James
(d) Anthony Trollope
13. How did Stein and Toklas have to confirm their identity when picking up the money?
(a) by being weighed and measured
(b) by producing letters of recommendation
(c) by submitting passports
(d) by taking a polygraph test
14. Where was Stein's first European residence?
15. What item was not taken by Stein when visiting a military area?
(a) driver's license
(b) bank deposit slip
(c) French matriculation papers
Short Answer Questions
1. What activity did Matisse perform every afternoon?
2. What kept Stein from practicing medicine?
3. How did Alfy describe Paris after the battle of the Marne?
4. The German ship, Fangturm, sold what items to the Mediterranean ports?
5. Where did Gertrude often spend the summer months?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)