|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Alice referred to as being "a tormented and not particularly sympathetic character"?
(a) Victor Hugo
(b) Erik Satie
(c) Alfred Whitehead
(d) Juan Gris
2. To whom did Stein give her first novel for review?
(a) Pablo Picasso
(b) Alice B. Toklas
(c) Marguerite Matisse
(d) Lewis Bromfield
3. How did Alfy describe Paris after the battle of the Marne?
(a) like pale absinthe
(b) like a colicky child
(c) like a blink in time
(d) like an angry tornado
4. What was the name of Stein's and Toklas' mallorcan hound
5. At what age did Gertrude attempt to write a Shakespearean drama?
6. Stein claims to dislike the things that are...
7. Where did the Steins go when they returned to America?
(a) Rhode Island
(d) New York
8. Where did the Steins move when they left Paris?
9. Gertrude won an award for describing what object?
(b) the family cat
(c) a dinner plate
10. What kind of alarms were commonplace during this time?
(c) fire drill
(d) atomic bomb
11. Where was Gertrude Stein born?
12. What was the occupation of the couple's military godson?
13. What trait did Stein profess to have?
14. How did Stein and Toklas have to confirm their identity when picking up the money?
(a) by submitting passports
(b) by taking a polygraph test
(c) by producing letters of recommendation
(d) by being weighed and measured
15. Who was the guest of honor at Fernande's banquet?
Short Answer Questions
1. It was in 1914 the Picasso began to choose what kind of paint?
2. What was the name of the college Gertrude first attended?
3. Stein claims that Cubism is a concept that can be attributed to...
4. Stein and Toklas decided to settle down temporarily, in what location?
5. What writer did Stein refer to as "the greatest of the Victorians?"
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)