|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the price of Alice's lessons?
(a) $.50 per hour
(c) $.75 per lesson
(d) $1.00 per day
2. At what time of day did Gertrude Stein typically begin to work?
(a) 12:00 p.m.
(b) 11:00 p.m.
(c) 4:00 a.m.
(d) 2:00 p.m.
3. According to Matisse, Gertrude's world was a ________________.
4. Which was not a passion for Fernande?
5. Where did Alice choose as a travel destination?
6. What was the name of Stein's1,000-page book?
(a) Catcher in the Rye
(b) The Making of Americans
(c) A Room of One's Own
(d) Three Lives
7. What present did Stein give to Picasso?
(a) Homemade baguettes
(b) American newspapers
(c) Painter's palette
(d) Wooden easel
8. At what age did Alice develop a love of literature?
9. What was Alice's great passion?
10. Gertrude had a large number of photographs depicting what historical event?
(a) Signing of the Declaration Of Independence
(b) Washington crossing the Delaware
(c) San Francisco fire
(d) Civil War
11. What was the name of the book that Gertrude Stein was having privately printed in 1907?
(a) An Awkward Age
(b) The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas
(c) The Making of Americans
(d) Three Lives
12. When it came to writing, what was Stein's passion?
13. Alice's grandmother was very fond of __________________.
(a) The ocean
14. What did Mrs. Stein bring to California?
(a) Fine silk
(c) Matisse paintings
15. Which of these people is not on Alice's list of geniuses?
(a) Clara Schumann
(b) Alfred Whitehead
(c) Pablo Picasso
(d) Gertrude Stein
Short Answer Questions
1. Gertrude Stein's brother discovered what unknown artist at Sagot's gallery?
2. What artist was a friend of the photographer, Duret?
3. What is a chronic problem in Paris?
4. Who did Alice meet during her travels?
5. To what author does Alice offer assistance?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)