|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what age did Alice develop a love of literature?
2. At what time of day did Gertrude Stein typically begin to work?
(a) 11:00 p.m.
(b) 2:00 p.m.
(c) 4:00 a.m.
(d) 12:00 p.m.
3. What was Alice's great passion?
4. Alice's grandmother was very fond of __________________.
(b) The ocean
5. Which artist is not mentioned in Chapter 2?
6. The brother of what famous dancer rented an atelier in the rue de Fleurus?
(a) Gypsy Lee Rose
(b) Mikhail Baryshnikov
(c) Isadora Duncan
(d) Twyla Tharp
7. How does Alice know if she has met a genius?
(a) Her nose itches
(b) She hears a bell ring
(c) Her heart stops for a beat
(d) Her toes tingle
8. What artist was a friend of the photographer, Duret?
(a) James Whistler
(b) Max Jacob
(c) Alfy Maurer
(d) Henri Matisse
9. What is a chronic problem in Paris?
10. Alice's relative raised a regiment for whom?
11. What was the name of the confectioner who made honey cakes and nut candies?
(b) Parisian Chocolat
12. Which of these people is not on Alice's list of geniuses?
(a) Pablo Picasso
(b) Clara Schumann
(c) Gertrude Stein
(d) Alfred Whitehead
13. What was the career choice of Matisse before he discovered painting?
14. Some people thought Picasso resembled which famous American?
(a) Aaron Burr
(b) Abraham Lincoln
(c) Ulysses S. Grant
(d) George Washington
15. What event caused Alice to lapse with her music?
(a) Her mother's death
(d) San Francisco fire
Short Answer Questions
1. The Matisse apartment had a beautiful view of what Paris landmark?
2. What present did Stein give to Picasso?
3. What was the cost of the Matisse painting of the woman and the dog?
4. What is the English translation of "un coup de foudre?"
5. Which was not a passion for Fernande?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)