|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of Matisse's first large composition?
(c) Bonheur de Vivre
(d) Mademoiselle Stein
2. Who painted a portrait of Gertrude Stein?
3. What area of Paris is popular with artists?
(c) Latin Quarter
(d) Place de la Concord
4. Some people thought Picasso resembled which famous American?
(a) Abraham Lincoln
(b) Ulysses S. Grant
(c) Aaron Burr
(d) George Washington
5. Stein had a weakness for what types of objects?
6. What was the name of the street where the Steins had an apartment?
(a) Rue de Rivoli
(b) Avenue Champagne
(c) Champs Elysee
(d) Rue de Fleurus
7. Cézanne's portrait of a woman inspired what Gertrude Stein work?
(a) Three Lives
(b) An Awkward Age
(c) A Room of One's Own
8. What artist was a friend of the photographer, Duret?
(a) James Whistler
(b) Max Jacob
(c) Henri Matisse
(d) Alfy Maurer
9. Who was the inspiration for La Femme un Chapeau?
(a) Alice B. Toklas
(b) Gertrude Stein
(c) Fernande Picasso
(d) Amelie Matisse
10. What did Mrs. Stein bring to California?
(b) Fine silk
(c) Matisse paintings
11. The Matisse apartment had a beautiful view of what Paris landmark?
(a) Ile de la Cité
(b) Notre Dame
(c) The Arc de Triomphe
(d) The Louvre
12. Who would supply the lessons to Alice?
13. At what time of day did Gertrude Stein typically begin to work?
(a) 12:00 p.m.
(b) 4:00 a.m.
(c) 11:00 p.m.
(d) 2:00 p.m.
14. Alice's grandmother was very fond of __________________.
(b) The ocean
15. What lessons did Alice want to receive?
Short Answer Questions
1. Gertrude Stein's brother discovered what unknown artist at Sagot's gallery?
2. Duret commented to an artist that there are two kinds of art. There is art, and then there is ___________________.
3. What is a chronic problem in Paris?
4. Of what comic was Picasso fond?
5. Where was Alice B. Toklas born?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)