|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is difficult for Alice to find?
(b) Temperate climate
(c) Sheet music
2. What was the name of Stein's1,000-page book?
(a) Three Lives
(b) A Room of One's Own
(c) Catcher in the Rye
(d) The Making of Americans
3. When it came to writing, what was Stein's passion?
4. Whose relatives returned to California?
(a) Charlie Chaplin's
(c) Mr. Toklas'
(d) Gertrude Stein's
5. What was the career choice of Matisse before he discovered painting?
6. What military position did Alice's great-great-uncle hold?
7. Who did Alice meet during her travels?
(a) Charlie Chaplin
(b) Ralph Waldo Emerson
(c) Gertrude Stein
(d) Winston Churchill
8. Where was Alice B. Toklas born?
(a) San Antonio
(b) New York
(d) San Francisco
9. What artist was a friend of the photographer, Duret?
(a) Max Jacob
(b) Henri Matisse
(c) Alfy Maurer
(d) James Whistler
10. What was the name of Matisse's first large composition?
(c) Bonheur de Vivre
(d) Mademoiselle Stein
11. What nationality flooded the rue de Fleurus?
12. Some people thought Picasso resembled which famous American?
(a) Abraham Lincoln
(b) Aaron Burr
(c) George Washington
(d) Ulysses S. Grant
13. What was Alice's great passion?
14. With whom did Alice live?
(a) Two sisters
(b) Aunt and Uncle
(c) Father and brother
15. What is a chronic problem in Paris?
Short Answer Questions
1. What event preceded the fire?
2. What was the name of the book that Gertrude Stein was having privately printed in 1907?
3. What activity did Stein partake in every afternoon?
4. Cézanne's portrait of a woman inspired what Gertrude Stein work?
5. Gertrude Stein's brother discovered what unknown artist at Sagot's gallery?
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)