|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Alice's mother's name?
2. The brother of what famous dancer rented an atelier in the rue de Fleurus?
(a) Gypsy Lee Rose
(b) Isadora Duncan
(c) Twyla Tharp
(d) Mikhail Baryshnikov
3. What was the name of the picture dealer in Paris that handled Cézanne's work?
4. Which of these things is not among Alice's hobbies?
5. What was Picasso's first name?
6. How old was Matisse when he received the first large offer from the spring salon?
7. Where was Gertrude's brother living when he learned about Cézanne?
8. What incident changed Alice's life?
(a) Arrival of Gertrude's brother
(b) World War I
(c) She almost drowned
9. Who was the inspiration for La Femme un Chapeau?
(a) Alice B. Toklas
(b) Gertrude Stein
(c) Fernande Picasso
(d) Amelie Matisse
10. Duret commented to an artist that there are two kinds of art. There is art, and then there is ___________________.
(a) pointless art
(b) Cubist art
(c) commercial art
(d) official art
11. What was the name of the confectioner who made honey cakes and nut candies?
(a) Parisian Chocolat
12. What was the name of the street on which the Picassos lived?
(a) rue Ravignan
(b) avenue Foch
(c) rue d'Avron
(d) rue de Fleurus
13. What area of Paris is popular with artists?
(a) Place de la Concord
(c) Latin Quarter
14. What was the name of the book that Gertrude Stein was having privately printed in 1907?
(a) Three Lives
(b) An Awkward Age
(c) The Making of Americans
(d) The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas
15. What artist became famous by painting a portrait of Fernande?
(a) Max Jacob
(c) Van Dongen
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the heroine of the moment?
2. The Matisse apartment had a beautiful view of what Paris landmark?
3. What was the name of the large exposition building?
4. Alice's grandmother was very fond of __________________.
5. What was the name of one of the top two large spring salons?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)