|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the book that Gertrude Stein was having privately printed in 1907?
(a) An Awkward Age
(b) The Making of Americans
(c) The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas
(d) Three Lives
2. What author did Alice most admire?
(a) Thomas Hardy
(b) T.S. Eliot
(c) Henry James
(d) Gertrude Stein
3. What nationality was Picasso?
4. How does Alice know if she has met a genius?
(a) Her toes tingle
(b) Her nose itches
(c) Her heart stops for a beat
(d) She hears a bell ring
5. Gertrude Stein's brother discovered what unknown artist at Sagot's gallery?
6. The brother of what famous dancer rented an atelier in the rue de Fleurus?
(a) Isadora Duncan
(b) Gypsy Lee Rose
(c) Mikhail Baryshnikov
(d) Twyla Tharp
7. Which of these things is not among Alice's hobbies?
8. Which house guest was objected to by Helene?
9. What is a chronic problem in Paris?
10. What was the name of the sculptor working on a figure of Gertrude Stein's nephew?
(a) Kathleen Bruce
(b) Michelangelo Buonartti
11. The Matisse apartment had a beautiful view of what Paris landmark?
(a) Notre Dame
(b) The Arc de Triomphe
(c) The Louvre
(d) Ile de la Cité
12. According to Matisse, Gertrude's world was a ________________.
13. Alice's father said, "if you must do a thing do it _____________."
14. When it came to writing, what was Stein's passion?
15. What item did Picasso withhold from his wife?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Alice meet during her travels?
2. What was the name of the large exposition building?
3. Gertrude had a large number of photographs depicting what historical event?
4. What was the name of the picture dealer in Paris that handled Cézanne's work?
5. What about Gertrude impressed Alice?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)