|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the cost of the Matisse painting of the woman and the dog?
(a) 100 francs
(b) 250 francs
(c) 1000 francs
(d) 500 francs
2. What is the English translation of "un coup de foudre?"
(a) Love at first sight
(b) A collection of paintings
(c) Civil unrest
(d) A political arrest
3. What was Alice's mother's name?
4. Which of these things is not among Alice's hobbies?
5. What activity did Stein partake in every afternoon?
(a) writing poetry
(b) walking around Paris
(c) playing with the dog
(d) drinking tea with friends
6. What was the name of the sculptor working on a figure of Gertrude Stein's nephew?
(a) Kathleen Bruce
(b) Michelangelo Buonartti
7. What was the name of the Stein's housekeeper?
8. What was the name of the large exposition building?
(c) Musée de l'Orangerie
(d) Grand Palais
9. What author did Alice most admire?
(a) Gertrude Stein
(b) Thomas Hardy
(c) T.S. Eliot
(d) Henry James
10. What about Gertrude impressed Alice?
(b) Her short stories
(d) Her voice
11. Duret commented to an artist that there are two kinds of art. There is art, and then there is ___________________.
(a) commercial art
(b) Cubist art
(c) pointless art
(d) official art
12. When it came to writing, what was Stein's passion?
13. What was Alice's great passion?
14. What did Mrs. Stein bring to California?
(a) Matisse paintings
(c) Fine silk
15. What was the name of Matisse's first large composition?
(a) Mademoiselle Stein
(b) Bonheur de Vivre
Short Answer Questions
1. Which was not a passion for Fernande?
2. What nationality was Alice's father?
3. What is a chronic problem in Paris?
4. Which artist is not mentioned in Chapter 2?
5. What event caused Alice to lapse with her music?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)