|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What present did Stein give to Picasso?
(a) Painter's palette
(b) Wooden easel
(c) Homemade baguettes
(d) American newspapers
2. One of the paintings by Matisse that Stein loved was titled, "La Femme au Chapeau." What is the English translation of "chapeau?"
3. Where did Alice choose as a travel destination?
4. What military position did Alice's great-great-uncle hold?
5. According to Matisse, Gertrude's world was a ________________.
6. How old was Picasso when he painted the portrait of Gertrude Stein?
7. Picasso painted a famous scene with friends gathered around what object?
8. What is difficult for Alice to find?
(b) Sheet music
(c) Temperate climate
9. Which of these things is not among Alice's hobbies?
10. Where was Gertrude's brother living when he learned about Cézanne?
11. Gertrude Stein's brother had a fondness for what type of art?
12. Who painted a portrait of Gertrude Stein?
13. Where was Alice B. Toklas born?
(a) San Antonio
(b) New York
(c) San Francisco
14. What famous school did Gertrude Stein attend?
(d) Johns Hopkins
15. What artist was a friend of the photographer, Duret?
(a) Max Jacob
(b) James Whistler
(c) Alfy Maurer
(d) Henri Matisse
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Stein's1,000-page book?
2. What was the name of the street on which the Picassos lived?
3. When it came to writing, what was Stein's passion?
4. How does Alice know if she has met a genius?
5. Of what comic was Picasso fond?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)