|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the English translation of "un coup de foudre?"
(a) A political arrest
(b) A collection of paintings
(c) Love at first sight
(d) Civil unrest
2. What was the name of the sculptor working on a figure of Gertrude Stein's nephew?
(a) Kathleen Bruce
(d) Michelangelo Buonartti
3. Alice's father said, "if you must do a thing do it _____________."
4. What was the name of the confectioner who made honey cakes and nut candies?
(a) Parisian Chocolat
5. Gertrude Stein's brother discovered what unknown artist at Sagot's gallery?
6. Where was Alice B. Toklas born?
(a) New York
(b) San Francisco
(d) San Antonio
7. What nationality flooded the rue de Fleurus?
8. What year did Alice's grandfather go to California?
9. What item did Picasso withhold from his wife?
10. The brother of what famous dancer rented an atelier in the rue de Fleurus?
(a) Mikhail Baryshnikov
(b) Gypsy Lee Rose
(c) Twyla Tharp
(d) Isadora Duncan
11. What was the name of Matisse's first large composition?
(a) Mademoiselle Stein
(b) Bonheur de Vivre
12. Where did Alice choose as a travel destination?
13. What was the name of Alice's favorite book?
(a) The Awkward Age
(b) Ada in Geography
(c) Wuthering Heights
(d) Mansfield Park
14. What is a chronic problem in Paris?
15. What about Gertrude impressed Alice?
(c) Her voice
(d) Her short stories
Short Answer Questions
1. Stein had a weakness for what types of objects?
2. Who did Alice meet during her travels?
3. What is difficult for Alice to find?
4. What was the former occupation of gallery owner, Sagot?
5. What did Mrs. Stein bring to California?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)