|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nationality flooded the rue de Fleurus?
2. What activity did Stein partake in every afternoon?
(a) playing with the dog
(b) walking around Paris
(c) drinking tea with friends
(d) writing poetry
3. Which artist is not mentioned in Chapter 2?
4. What was the price of Alice's lessons?
(a) $1.00 per day
(b) $.50 per hour
(c) $.75 per lesson
5. At what time of day did Gertrude Stein typically begin to work?
(a) 11:00 p.m.
(b) 12:00 p.m.
(c) 2:00 p.m.
(d) 4:00 a.m.
6. What was the name of the book that Gertrude Stein was having privately printed in 1907?
(a) Three Lives
(b) An Awkward Age
(c) The Making of Americans
(d) The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas
7. Stein had a weakness for what types of objects?
8. What year did Alice's grandfather go to California?
9. Which of these people is not on Alice's list of geniuses?
(a) Gertrude Stein
(b) Pablo Picasso
(c) Alfred Whitehead
(d) Clara Schumann
10. Of what comic was Picasso fond?
(a) Katzenjammer Kids
(c) Andy Capp
(d) Alley Oop
11. How old was Picasso when he painted the portrait of Gertrude Stein?
12. At what age did Alice stop practicing her music?
13. How old was Matisse when he received the first large offer from the spring salon?
14. Gertrude had a large number of photographs depicting what historical event?
(a) Civil War
(b) Washington crossing the Delaware
(c) Signing of the Declaration Of Independence
(d) San Francisco fire
15. What was the name of the Stein's housekeeper?
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality was Alice's father?
2. Who was the inspiration for La Femme un Chapeau?
3. Duret commented to an artist that there are two kinds of art. There is art, and then there is ___________________.
4. What artist became famous by painting a portrait of Fernande?
5. Alice's relative raised a regiment for whom?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)