|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Matisse, Gertrude's world was a ________________.
2. Where was Alice B. Toklas born?
(a) San Antonio
(b) New York
(c) San Francisco
3. What was the name of Alice's favorite book?
(a) The Awkward Age
(b) Ada in Geography
(c) Wuthering Heights
(d) Mansfield Park
4. Where was Gertrude's brother living when he learned about Cézanne?
5. Whose relatives returned to California?
(a) Charlie Chaplin's
(b) Mr. Toklas'
(c) Gertrude Stein's
6. Who painted a portrait of Gertrude Stein?
7. Alice's father said, "if you must do a thing do it _____________."
8. How does Alice know if she has met a genius?
(a) Her toes tingle
(b) Her heart stops for a beat
(c) Her nose itches
(d) She hears a bell ring
9. Who would supply the lessons to Alice?
10. What was the name of the street on which the Picassos lived?
(a) avenue Foch
(b) rue Ravignan
(c) rue de Fleurus
(d) rue d'Avron
11. What present did Stein give to Picasso?
(a) Painter's palette
(b) Wooden easel
(c) Homemade baguettes
(d) American newspapers
12. What event preceded the fire?
13. What year did Alice's grandfather go to California?
14. Where had the relatives been living?
15. How does Alice refer to her mother?
Short Answer Questions
1. Cézanne's portrait of a woman inspired what Gertrude Stein work?
2. At what age did Alice stop practicing her music?
3. What was the cost of the Matisse painting of the woman and the dog?
4. One of the paintings by Matisse that Stein loved was titled, "La Femme au Chapeau." What is the English translation of "chapeau?"
5. What is the English translation of "un coup de foudre?"
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)