|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Alice's relative raised a regiment for whom?
2. Where was Gertrude's brother living when he learned about Cézanne?
3. Who did Alice meet during her travels?
(a) Charlie Chaplin
(b) Gertrude Stein
(c) Winston Churchill
(d) Ralph Waldo Emerson
4. What was the name of the picture dealer in Paris that handled Cézanne's work?
5. What was the name of Alice's favorite book?
(a) Wuthering Heights
(b) Mansfield Park
(c) Ada in Geography
(d) The Awkward Age
6. What present did Stein give to Picasso?
(a) American newspapers
(b) Wooden easel
(c) Homemade baguettes
(d) Painter's palette
7. What lessons did Alice want to receive?
8. What was the name of the sculptor working on a figure of Gertrude Stein's nephew?
(a) Kathleen Bruce
(d) Michelangelo Buonartti
9. Duret commented to an artist that there are two kinds of art. There is art, and then there is ___________________.
(a) Cubist art
(b) commercial art
(c) pointless art
(d) official art
10. How old was Matisse when he received the first large offer from the spring salon?
11. Which artist is not mentioned in Chapter 2?
12. What was Picasso's first name?
13. What artist was a friend of the photographer, Duret?
(a) James Whistler
(b) Alfy Maurer
(c) Henri Matisse
(d) Max Jacob
14. What was Alice's great passion?
15. What about Gertrude impressed Alice?
(a) Her voice
(d) Her short stories
Short Answer Questions
1. The brother of what famous dancer rented an atelier in the rue de Fleurus?
2. Who painted a portrait of Gertrude Stein?
3. What was the cost of the Matisse painting of the woman and the dog?
4. How does Alice refer to her mother?
5. One of the paintings by Matisse that Stein loved was titled, "La Femme au Chapeau." What is the English translation of "chapeau?"
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)