|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the CSG not take extra measures to snatch Khalid Sheik Muhammad?
2. What report does an Arab leader give the consul general?
3. Which country supports an assassination attempt on President Mubarak from Egypt?
4. Of the three initiatives Clarke presents, which is the most troubling to cabinet members?
5. As an Assistant Secretary of State, what information does Clarke learn about the Soviet Union's weapons programs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the obstacles in planning a snatch for Abu Hafs al-Muratani, an associate of bin Laden, in Khartoum?
2. In detail, describe the Cabinet meeting that gives the departments a wake-up call about how the U.S. lacks a chemical, biological and nuclear weapons response system.
3. What are the major problems that prevent reasoning with the Taliban?
4. What are some differences between George W. Bush and Clinton? Which stands out the most to Clarke?
5. According to Clarke, what credit does he give Usama bin Laden?
6. How does Afghanistan fare after the Soviets leave at the end of the 1980's? When does Usama bin Laden return, and why at this particular time?
7. What do Sam Nunn, Dick Lugan and Pete Dominic have in common? How do they help Clarke's goals with counter-terrorism?
8. How is Pakistan involved with al Qaeda? How are Pakistan and U.S. relations? As plans are developed to retaliate against al Qaeda, why is Pakistan mentioned and considered?
9. Who is Jamal al -Fadl, how does he help U.S. intelligence, and why?
10. What is the transition from Clinton's administration to George W. Bush's administration like for Clarke and those working in counter-terrorism? How is this transition received by Clarke and others in counter-terrorism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Clinton and George W. Bush's outlook on terrorism. How do they feel about its threat? What actions do they take? How do they make their decisions on terrorism? What influences their decisions?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the birth and growth of al Qaeda. When does al Qaeda first begin? How does it grow? To what extent does it grow? What is al Qaeda's current situation? Are they still viable,weakening, or growing in strength?
Essay Topic 3
The Counter-terrorism Security Group changes with each new terms' demands. Write an essay outlining the CSG under Reagan to its work during George W. Bush's administration. When is it at its strongest? At its weakest? What responsibilities does the CSG have during each Presidency? What is Clarke's main concern during each term?
This section contains 1,553 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)