|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do some believe it is not a good idea to bomb Afghanistan?
2. What does Cofer Black inform Clarke in early December 1999?
3. What prompts Health and Human Services to attend a CSG meeting for the first time?
4. What does Berger do for Clarke as Clarke did for him?
5. What does Clinton reputedly say, as written in "USA Today" in 2001?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the major problems that prevent reasoning with the Taliban?
2. In terms of taking action against terrorism, where does the White House stand? The Pentagon? How is this seen in their decisions?
3. How is Pakistan involved with al Qaeda? How are Pakistan and U.S. relations? As plans are developed to retaliate against al Qaeda, why is Pakistan mentioned and considered?
4. What are the details in CSG's plan to snatch Usama bin Laden? Why is it vetoed?
5. What are the obstacles in planning a snatch for Abu Hafs al-Muratani, an associate of bin Laden, in Khartoum?
6. Why is the timing of a strike against al Qaeda questionable in relation to the President?
7. Compare and contrast "drug czar" with the new "terrorism czar."
8. What kind of relationship does bin Laden have with Turabi from Sudan? What projects do they work on together? What is their common goal?
9. What are Rice's views of CSG when she works in the NSC for George W. Bush's administration?
10. List in detail the concerns Clarke has in protecting the troops during the first Iraq War against "special" weapons.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What ethical, moral and political principals must be considered when making executive decisions that concern illegal acts such as snatches and assassinations? When is it right? Is it ever right? Provide at least two examples of when a President must consider these dilemmas. What does the President decide and how does he come to his conclusion?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on how the U.S. backs certain countries and why they do it. An example is how the U.S. backs Hussein when he invades Iran or Afghanistan when they are at war with Russia. What motivates the U.S. to help Iraq or Afghanistan during those times? Is it more about the country they are helping or about the enemy?
Essay Topic 3
Some countries actively or indirectly support terrorism such as Iran, Sudan, Pakistan and Afghanistan. Choose one country and research in detail the political situation of the country. How do the current events of the time breed terrorism? What is happening that influences the government to turn to terrorism over other alternatives?
This section contains 1,611 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)