|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What approval does Clarke ask for from Madeleine Albright?
2. What does Powell suggest to fight the al Qaeda threat?
3. What is Iraq's reported plan to deter the U.S. from invading?
4. What happens to Clarke's best show-and-tell for his "Theme Day?"
5. What causes Downing, Clarke's CSG replacement, to quit?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Afghanistan fare after the Soviets leave at the end of the 1980's? When does Usama bin Laden return, and why at this particular time?
2. Compare and contrast "drug czar" with the new "terrorism czar."
3. In detail, describe the Cabinet meeting that gives the departments a wake-up call about how the U.S. lacks a chemical, biological and nuclear weapons response system.
4. Describe the political cartoon that reflects Clarke's feelings about the Bush administration. What does this motivate Clarke to do?
5. What kind of relationship does bin Laden have with Turabi from Sudan? What projects do they work on together? What is their common goal?
6. What are the results of al Qaeda's first act of war against the U.S. since their issued fatwa? How does it affect more than just U.S. citizens?
7. What rejuvenates Intelligence agencies in rethinking al Qaeda? How is this achieved?
8. How is Clarke able to get funds for embassy hardening? What stops him and who helps him?
9. What is a Pol-Mil Plan? How does it get started?
10. Explain Karl Rove's strategy that Republicans use in election years. How does this strategy turn out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about America's relationship with Muslim countries. Which Muslim countries does the U.S. have great relations with? Which are more tentative? Why? What balancing act must America have with Muslim countries?
Essay Topic 2
Name the departments that Clarke shows frustration and anger with. Provide examples and reasons why he is unhappy with the departments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Clinton and George W. Bush's outlook on terrorism. How do they feel about its threat? What actions do they take? How do they make their decisions on terrorism? What influences their decisions?
This section contains 1,416 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)