|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who throws a fit about discussion of al Qaeda at a committee meeting with CSG?
2. What causes Downing, Clarke's CSG replacement, to quit?
3. What characteristic does Usama bin Laden look for in jihad availability?
4. What plan of attack does al Qaeda execute in Indonesia?
5. What is expected to happen on August 20, 1998?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Clarke able to get funds for embassy hardening? What stops him and who helps him?
2. Explain Theme Days and how Clarke handles his counter -terrorism Theme Day?
3. What is a Pol-Mil Plan? How does it get started?
4. What do Sam Nunn, Dick Lugan and Pete Dominic have in common? How do they help Clarke's goals with counter-terrorism?
5. What are the details in CSG's plan to snatch Usama bin Laden? Why is it vetoed?
6. What are some differences between George W. Bush and Clinton? Which stands out the most to Clarke?
7. How does Afghanistan fare after the Soviets leave at the end of the 1980's? When does Usama bin Laden return, and why at this particular time?
8. What are the general American reactions to U.S.'s retaliation with missiles? How do they come to this conclusion? Is it reasonable?
9. What are the major problems that prevent reasoning with the Taliban?
10. Describe the political cartoon that reflects Clarke's feelings about the Bush administration. What does this motivate Clarke to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about America's relationship with Muslim countries. Which Muslim countries does the U.S. have great relations with? Which are more tentative? Why? What balancing act must America have with Muslim countries?
Essay Topic 2
What actions or lack of actions allow the 9/11 attacks to occur? Can it be prevented, and if so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Who are the key officials in the immediate reactions of the 9/11 attacks? How are they key officials? What are their roles?
This section contains 1,354 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)