|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't the federal government want to take over airport security?
2. How does Freeh want to handle Sayegh's case?
3. Among the following, who is NOT present at the Counter-terrorism Security Group meeting immediately after the 9/11 attacks?
4. The increase in counter-terrorism budget helped do what?
5. How do the surviving families of TWA 800 respond to Clinton's visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Condeleeza Rice handle the situation at the White house following the 9/11 attacks? How might others view her actions? How does Clarke view her actions?
2. Why does the Saudi Arabian government threaten bin Laden? How does Usama bin Laden remain strong despite these threats?
3. During the 1990s, what is the political situation in Bahrain? How does this affect the U.S.?
4. Why does Iraq's attack on Kuwait concern the U.S. and other nations? What are the countries fearful of?
5. Explain how the U.S. is able to act fast with many of the Arab Nations and allow the U.S. troops to come into their country just previous to the Persian Gulf War.
6. Why does Clarke believe the fight against terrorism begins with Reagan's administration?
7. What is Clarke's stance on conspiracy theories? How does he come to this conclusion?
8. What is Reagan's reaction to Hezbollah and other attacks? How does this set up a certain way of thinking in the Middle East?
9. How is bin Laden affiliated with the World Trade Center bombing?
10. What is the environment in Somalia in 1993? What is happening that the U.N. and U.S. get involved?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What vulnerabilities do superpowers show? How do anti-Americans take advantage of these vulnerabilities? Provide specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on how the U.S. backs certain countries and why they do it. An example is how the U.S. backs Hussein when he invades Iran or Afghanistan when they are at war with Russia. What motivates the U.S. to help Iraq or Afghanistan during those times? Is it more about the country they are helping or about the enemy?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about America's relationship with Muslim countries. Which Muslim countries does the U.S. have great relations with? Which are more tentative? Why? What balancing act must America have with Muslim countries?
This section contains 1,348 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)