|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Soviet Union offer to help, and in what way?
2. Who does Clarke trust to lead National Security Special Events?
3. The Russians almost prepare to exercise their strategic nuclear forces due to what concern?
4. Of the following, which military action does NOT occur?
5. During the Iran-Iraq war, what stance does the U.S. take?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the conversation between Watson from the FBI and Clarke on a secure line concerning the 9/11 terrorists during the counter-terrorism security group (CSG) meeting? Why does Watson want this conversation on a secure line and not in teleconference with all the other groups?
2. Explain how the U.S. is able to act fast with many of the Arab Nations and allow the U.S. troops to come into their country just previous to the Persian Gulf War.
3. How does Saudi Arabia handle terrorists in their country? What examples show their efforts in stopping terrorism? How do they handle the Khobar attack?
4. Why does Iraq's attack on Kuwait concern the U.S. and other nations? What are the countries fearful of?
5. Why does the U.S. send Marine forces into Lebanon? What does Reagan tell the administration, and why?
6. How does Saddam try to assassinate George H.W. Bush? Describe the subsequent events that allow the U.S. to discover that Iraq is responsible for the attempt.
7. What is President Bush adamant about despite the international law that Rumsfield reminds him of? What is the international law that Rumsfield mentions to Bush?
8. How is bin Laden affiliated with the World Trade Center bombing?
9. What is the dispute between the FBI and Clarke concerning Air Marshalls?
10. What is different about the terrorists involved with the World Trade Center bombing in 1993 than terrorists from previous attacks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Clinton and George W. Bush's outlook on terrorism. How do they feel about its threat? What actions do they take? How do they make their decisions on terrorism? What influences their decisions?
Essay Topic 2
Name the departments that Clarke shows frustration and anger with. Provide examples and reasons why he is unhappy with the departments.
Essay Topic 3
What vulnerabilities do superpowers show? How do anti-Americans take advantage of these vulnerabilities? Provide specific examples.
This section contains 1,247 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)