|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it important to have Arab nations as allies when the U.S. goes to war against Iraq?
2. Which country helps the U.S. strengthen its military presence in the Middle East?
3. Why is the Navy officer unsure of whether to contact Clarke about the World Trade Center bombing in 1993?
4. What gets the Pentagon angry at the President's response to the Khobar attack?
5. What does Prince Turki ask of Usama bin Laden when he returns to Saudi Arabia from Afghanistan in 1989?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the steps and methods the FBI takes to determine the cause of the TWA 800's explosion. What do the FBI and other departments believe the cause is as the investigation progresses?
2. Why does Clarke believe the fight against terrorism begins with Reagan's administration?
3. How does Condeleeza Rice handle the situation at the White house following the 9/11 attacks? How might others view her actions? How does Clarke view her actions?
4. How does Iraq involve Israel into the Persian Gulf War? How is this a smart strategy for Iraq?
5. How does Saddam try to assassinate George H.W. Bush? Describe the subsequent events that allow the U.S. to discover that Iraq is responsible for the attempt.
6. How do Congress and the Clinton administration try to weaken Iran?
7. How does Usama bin Laden become involved in the efforts of Afghanistan?
8. What is the environment in Somalia in 1993? What is happening that the U.N. and U.S. get involved?
9. For the first time, on 9/11 Clarke is able to think as he walks from the Situation Room (SR) to the Presidential Emergency Operations Center (PEOC). What are his thoughts at this time? How might this foreshadow information that may come later in the book?
10. What is the Afghan Services Bureau? What does the CIA believe it is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one President's term and research acts of terrorism during the four-year term. Explain how the President responds to terrorism during his term. What influences the President's decision? What acts of terrorism test the President more than others?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about America's relationship with Muslim countries. Which Muslim countries does the U.S. have great relations with? Which are more tentative? Why? What balancing act must America have with Muslim countries?
Essay Topic 3
Some countries actively or indirectly support terrorism such as Iran, Sudan, Pakistan and Afghanistan. Choose one country and research in detail the political situation of the country. How do the current events of the time breed terrorism? What is happening that influences the government to turn to terrorism over other alternatives?
This section contains 1,483 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)