|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What risky task does Gallucci have at the Agricultural Ministry?
2. What had Clarke admitted to on a "60 Minutes" interview with Bonin just days before the 9/11 attacks?
3. What must Cheney and his team convince the Saudi King?
4. Who does Clarke trust to lead National Security Special Events?
5. What strategic move does Iraq implement once U.S. begins their airstrike?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Clarke's stance on conspiracy theories? How does he come to this conclusion?
2. How do Congress and the Clinton administration try to weaken Iran?
3. What is the conversation between Watson from the FBI and Clarke on a secure line concerning the 9/11 terrorists during the counter-terrorism security group (CSG) meeting? Why does Watson want this conversation on a secure line and not in teleconference with all the other groups?
4. What are the pros/cons of strengthening the relationship with Israel?
5. Why does Clarke believe the fight against terrorism begins with Reagan's administration?
6. Compare and contrast alliances and enemies from the Reagan administration and George H.W. Bush's administration.
7. For the first time, on 9/11 Clarke is able to think as he walks from the Situation Room (SR) to the Presidential Emergency Operations Center (PEOC). What are his thoughts at this time? How might this foreshadow information that may come later in the book?
8. Why does the U.S. send Marine forces into Lebanon? What does Reagan tell the administration, and why?
9. How is bin Laden affiliated with the World Trade Center bombing?
10. What is the environment in Somalia in 1993? What is happening that the U.N. and U.S. get involved?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name the departments that Clarke shows frustration and anger with. Provide examples and reasons why he is unhappy with the departments.
Essay Topic 2
Further research a terrorist group to learn about its goals, such as al Qaeda or Hezbollah. What does the terrorist group teach its followers? What does it hope to achieve? How does it hope to reach its goals?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about America's relationship with Muslim countries. Which Muslim countries does the U.S. have great relations with? Which are more tentative? Why? What balancing act must America have with Muslim countries?
This section contains 1,373 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)