|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clarke learn of an assassination attempt on George H.W. Bush?
2. What does the U.S. assume as they allow the Iraqi troops to withdraw intact?
3. Who invites Usama bin Laden into their country?
4. During the Iran-Iraq war, what stance does the U.S. take?
5. How does Clarke begin making enemies with his own government?
Short Essay Questions
1. For the first time, on 9/11 Clarke is able to think as he walks from the Situation Room (SR) to the Presidential Emergency Operations Center (PEOC). What are his thoughts at this time? How might this foreshadow information that may come later in the book?
2. What is Clarke's stance on conspiracy theories? How does he come to this conclusion?
3. What is the environment in Somalia in 1993? What is happening that the U.N. and U.S. get involved?
4. How does Iraq involve Israel into the Persian Gulf War? How is this a smart strategy for Iraq?
5. How is bin Laden affiliated with the World Trade Center bombing?
6. Explain how the U.S. is able to act fast with many of the Arab Nations and allow the U.S. troops to come into their country just previous to the Persian Gulf War.
7. Why does Iraq's attack on Kuwait concern the U.S. and other nations? What are the countries fearful of?
8. How does Saudi Arabia handle terrorists in their country? What examples show their efforts in stopping terrorism? How do they handle the Khobar attack?
9. What is the dispute between the FBI and Clarke concerning Air Marshalls?
10. As terrorist attacks occur in New York and D.C., how are high levels in the White House expected to react? How is this difficult in the job? How is this difficult as a person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Further research a terrorist group to learn about its goals, such as al Qaeda or Hezbollah. What does the terrorist group teach its followers? What does it hope to achieve? How does it hope to reach its goals?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one President's term and research acts of terrorism during the four-year term. Explain how the President responds to terrorism during his term. What influences the President's decision? What acts of terrorism test the President more than others?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on how the U.S. backs certain countries and why they do it. An example is how the U.S. backs Hussein when he invades Iran or Afghanistan when they are at war with Russia. What motivates the U.S. to help Iraq or Afghanistan during those times? Is it more about the country they are helping or about the enemy?
This section contains 1,542 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)