|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What development adds to the political turmoil in the Middle East?
2. Of those listed, which is NOT an option as a retaliation effort against Iran for the Khobar attack?
3. Clarke believes the "Caliphate" movement will result in what kind of society?
4. How does Clarke learn about the World Trade Center bombing in 1993?
5. What does the U.S. buy from Israel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Clarke's feelings about Iraq after the World Trade Center is attacked on September 11, 2001? What does he wish for, and why?
2. What is the environment in Somalia in 1993? What is happening that the U.N. and U.S. get involved?
3. Why does the U.S. send Marine forces into Lebanon? What does Reagan tell the administration, and why?
4. What is Reagan's reaction to Hezbollah and other attacks? How does this set up a certain way of thinking in the Middle East?
5. Why does Iraq's attack on Kuwait concern the U.S. and other nations? What are the countries fearful of?
6. How does Usama bin Laden become involved in the efforts of Afghanistan?
7. For the first time, on 9/11 Clarke is able to think as he walks from the Situation Room (SR) to the Presidential Emergency Operations Center (PEOC). What are his thoughts at this time? How might this foreshadow information that may come later in the book?
8. What is President Bush adamant about despite the international law that Rumsfield reminds him of? What is the international law that Rumsfield mentions to Bush?
9. What is Operation Staunch? How does it further influence the Iran-Iraq war?
10. Why does the Saudi Arabian government threaten bin Laden? How does Usama bin Laden remain strong despite these threats?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Clinton and George W. Bush's outlook on terrorism. How do they feel about its threat? What actions do they take? How do they make their decisions on terrorism? What influences their decisions?
Essay Topic 2
The Counter-terrorism Security Group changes with each new terms' demands. Write an essay outlining the CSG under Reagan to its work during George W. Bush's administration. When is it at its strongest? At its weakest? What responsibilities does the CSG have during each Presidency? What is Clarke's main concern during each term?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about America's relationship with Muslim countries. Which Muslim countries does the U.S. have great relations with? Which are more tentative? Why? What balancing act must America have with Muslim countries?
This section contains 1,248 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)