|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which country helps the U.S. strengthen its military presence in the Middle East?
2. What concerns does the FBI have with the new counter-terrorism policy?
3. According to the Counter-terrorism Security Group, what possible target is a major concern?
4. Who invites Usama bin Laden into their country?
5. What problematic turn occurs in 1985 that alarms the U.S.?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the pros/cons of strengthening the relationship with Israel?
2. How does Saudi Arabia handle terrorists in their country? What examples show their efforts in stopping terrorism? How do they handle the Khobar attack?
3. According to Clarke, what credit does he give Usama bin Laden?
4. What is President Bush adamant about despite the international law that Rumsfield reminds him of? What is the international law that Rumsfield mentions to Bush?
5. When and why does Clarke compare al Qaeda to a Hydra with growing heads?
6. What is the dispute between the FBI and Clarke concerning Air Marshalls?
7. What is the conversation between Watson from the FBI and Clarke on a secure line concerning the 9/11 terrorists during the counter-terrorism security group (CSG) meeting? Why does Watson want this conversation on a secure line and not in teleconference with all the other groups?
8. What rejuvenates Intelligence agencies in rethinking al Qaeda? How is this achieved?
9. Why is the timing of a strike against al Qaeda questionable in relation to the President?
10. How does Saddam try to assassinate George H.W. Bush? Describe the subsequent events that allow the U.S. to discover that Iraq is responsible for the attempt.
Essay Topic 1
What vulnerabilities do superpowers show? How do anti-Americans take advantage of these vulnerabilities? Provide specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Reagan and George H.W. Bush's non-military response to Clinton and George W. Bush's military response to terrorism. Which avenue seems to work better? What other influences are there that determines the effectiveness of a response?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the forms of terrorism that concern Clarke throughout Clinton's administration. What makes Clarke concerned about chemical, nuclear, and bioterrorism? What steps does Clarke take to prevent terrorism against a massive population? How does he convince Clinton and the rest of the department of its significance?
This section contains 2,056 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)