|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unexpected event happens after the Persian Gulf War?
2. Who does Clarke trust to lead National Security Special Events?
3. With the Red Army gone, what mentality do some of the soldiers that fight against them have?
4. What gets the Pentagon angry at the President's response to the Khobar attack?
5. Which country noticeably does not attend the International Summit on Terrorism?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the U.S. is able to act fast with many of the Arab Nations and allow the U.S. troops to come into their country just previous to the Persian Gulf War.
2. During the 1990s, what is the political situation in Bahrain? How does this affect the U.S.?
3. What is the Afghan Services Bureau? What does the CIA believe it is?
4. Why does the U.S. send Marine forces into Lebanon? What does Reagan tell the administration, and why?
5. How is bin Laden affiliated with the World Trade Center bombing?
6. What are the pros/cons of strengthening the relationship with Israel?
7. How do Congress and the Clinton administration try to weaken Iran?
8. What is the dispute between the FBI and Clarke concerning Air Marshalls?
9. What is President Bush adamant about despite the international law that Rumsfield reminds him of? What is the international law that Rumsfield mentions to Bush?
10. What is the conversation between Watson from the FBI and Clarke on a secure line concerning the 9/11 terrorists during the counter-terrorism security group (CSG) meeting? Why does Watson want this conversation on a secure line and not in teleconference with all the other groups?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Outline Clarke's role in the government from his first term with Reagan to his last term with George W. Bush. What changes does Clarke go through in his career?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about America's relationship with Muslim countries. Which Muslim countries does the U.S. have great relations with? Which are more tentative? Why? What balancing act must America have with Muslim countries?
Essay Topic 3
Further research a terrorist group to learn about its goals, such as al Qaeda or Hezbollah. What does the terrorist group teach its followers? What does it hope to achieve? How does it hope to reach its goals?
This section contains 1,241 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)