|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Iran get on their side to overthrow the Khalifas?
2. What key event does Russia provoke in 1979?
3. Which country noticeably does not attend the International Summit on Terrorism?
4. What gets the Pentagon angry at the President's response to the Khobar attack?
5. According to the Counter-terrorism Security Group, what possible target is a major concern?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Clarke's feelings about Iraq after the World Trade Center is attacked on September 11, 2001? What does he wish for, and why?
2. Compare and contrast alliances and enemies from the Reagan administration and George H.W. Bush's administration.
3. As terrorist attacks occur in New York and D.C., how are high levels in the White House expected to react? How is this difficult in the job? How is this difficult as a person?
4. Why does Clarke believe the fight against terrorism begins with Reagan's administration?
5. For the first time, on 9/11 Clarke is able to think as he walks from the Situation Room (SR) to the Presidential Emergency Operations Center (PEOC). What are his thoughts at this time? How might this foreshadow information that may come later in the book?
6. How is bin Laden affiliated with the World Trade Center bombing?
7. Why does the Saudi Arabian government threaten bin Laden? How does Usama bin Laden remain strong despite these threats?
8. Describe Saudi Arabia's situation as Iraq starts to look into Kuwait. What options does the Saudi King have? What factors must he consider in his decisions?
9. How does Iraq involve Israel into the Persian Gulf War? How is this a smart strategy for Iraq?
10. What is the environment in Somalia in 1993? What is happening that the U.N. and U.S. get involved?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on how the U.S. backs certain countries and why they do it. An example is how the U.S. backs Hussein when he invades Iran or Afghanistan when they are at war with Russia. What motivates the U.S. to help Iraq or Afghanistan during those times? Is it more about the country they are helping or about the enemy?
Essay Topic 2
Terrorism involves many departments. Briefly explain the roles of each department that is represented in CSG. What are their roles? How well do they fight terrorism? How do the departments work with one another?
Essay Topic 3
What actions or lack of actions allow the 9/11 attacks to occur? Can it be prevented, and if so, how?
This section contains 1,459 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)