|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does the FAA give that causes silence in the CSG meeting on 9/11?
2. What does the U.S. assume as they allow the Iraqi troops to withdraw intact?
3. Why is it important to have Arab nations as allies when the U.S. goes to war against Iraq?
4. The increase in counter-terrorism budget helped do what?
5. What problematic turn occurs in 1985 that alarms the U.S.?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some consequences on homeland security due to the war in Iraq?
2. What is the Homeland Security Act? How is it executed?
3. According to Clarke, what credit does he give Usama bin Laden?
4. How is Clarke able to get funds for embassy hardening? What stops him and who helps him?
5. Why does the Saudi Arabian government threaten bin Laden? How does Usama bin Laden remain strong despite these threats?
6. When and why does Clarke compare al Qaeda to a Hydra with growing heads?
7. Compare and contrast "drug czar" with the new "terrorism czar."
8. What is a Pol-Mil Plan? How does it get started?
9. How does Afghanistan fare after the Soviets leave at the end of the 1980's? When does Usama bin Laden return, and why at this particular time?
10. Explain Karl Rove's strategy that Republicans use in election years. How does this strategy turn out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the forms of terrorism that concern Clarke throughout Clinton's administration. What makes Clarke concerned about chemical, nuclear, and bioterrorism? What steps does Clarke take to prevent terrorism against a massive population? How does he convince Clinton and the rest of the department of its significance?
Essay Topic 2
Terrorism involves many departments. Briefly explain the roles of each department that is represented in CSG. What are their roles? How well do they fight terrorism? How do the departments work with one another?
Essay Topic 3
The Counter-terrorism Security Group changes with each new terms' demands. Write an essay outlining the CSG under Reagan to its work during George W. Bush's administration. When is it at its strongest? At its weakest? What responsibilities does the CSG have during each Presidency? What is Clarke's main concern during each term?
This section contains 2,112 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)