|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Prince Turki ask of Usama bin Laden when he returns to Saudi Arabia from Afghanistan in 1989?
(a) To keep his men intact in case they are needed in the future.
(b) To rally the residents of Saudi Arabia against the King.
(c) To form an elite special forces for the Saudi Arabian army.
(d) To form a fundamentalist religion-based resistance against Yemen.
2. What is the U.S.'s attack plan to trick Iraq?
(a) Attack early on before full forces are in the region.
(b) Man bases all around Kuwait to cause confusion.
(c) Delay their attack until Iraq's guard is down.
(d) Attack from the rear instead of the front.
3. When TWA 800 explodes, what is the atmosphere in the White House?
(a) Fear that Clinton will not respond rationally.
(b) Tense for a possible war.
(c) Happy they have a reason to engage in a war with Iran.
(d) Understanding that domestic terrorism will be on the rise from this point forward.
4. What risky task does Gallucci have at the Agricultural Ministry?
(a) Negotiate with terrorists to bring an American hostage home.
(b) Lead a surprise raid to obtain proof of a nuclear program.
(c) Distract the Republican Guards as others raid a nearby building.
(d) He must convince Hussein to let the U.N. in for inspections.
5. According to Clarke, what is one factor that stops counter-terrorism policies from passing in Congress?
(a) WTC bombing of 1993 was not a large enough wake-up call.
(b) Republican-Democratic party animosity.
(c) The lack of shared intelligence to the Congress.
(d) The push for budget cuts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the Navy officer unsure of whether to contact Clarke about the World Trade Center bombing in 1993?
2. How does Clarke learn about the World Trade Center bombing in 1993?
3. After homeland issues are assured in the immediate aftermath of 9/11, what is the Situation Room's next topic?
4. What confounds the Counter-terrorism Security Group about the World Trade Center bombing?
5. What is the first thing Clarke does upon hearing the news of the World Trade Center?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the steps and methods the FBI takes to determine the cause of the TWA 800's explosion. What do the FBI and other departments believe the cause is as the investigation progresses?
2. What is Clarke's stance on conspiracy theories? How does he come to this conclusion?
3. What is the Afghan Services Bureau? What does the CIA believe it is?
4. What are the pros/cons of strengthening the relationship with Israel?
5. Why does Clarke believe the fight against terrorism begins with Reagan's administration?
6. Describe Saudi Arabia's situation as Iraq starts to look into Kuwait. What options does the Saudi King have? What factors must he consider in his decisions?
7. Why does Iraq's attack on Kuwait concern the U.S. and other nations? What are the countries fearful of?
8. How does Usama bin Laden become involved in the efforts of Afghanistan?
9. Compare and contrast alliances and enemies from the Reagan administration and George H.W. Bush's administration.
10. How does Condeleeza Rice handle the situation at the White house following the 9/11 attacks? How might others view her actions? How does Clarke view her actions?
This section contains 1,500 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)