|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Clarke quell issues with Israel in regards to selling arms to South Africa?
(a) Reminds Ivry that Israel needs the U.S. as long as Russia is a superpower.
(b) Threatens sanctions to all countries that sell to South Africa, including Israel.
(c) Offers financial strategies that can replace Israel's business with South Africa.
(d) Discusses apartheid and anti-semitism with Ivry.
2. Clarke believes the "Caliphate" movement will result in what kind of society?
(a) A freer society with greater religious understanding.
(b) A government run with corruption and by fundamentalists.
(c) A repressive 14th century literalist theocracy.
(d) A step backward to times before segregation of church and state.
3. How does the U.S. affect the Iran-Iraq war?
(a) Helps stop the war with peace talks.
(b) The sanctions by the U.S. on both countries affects Iran more.
(c) Gives intelligence to Iraq.
(d) Secretly gives arms to Iran.
4. In 1996, who does the U.S. fear will plan terrorist attacks on Americans?
5. Where is President Bush at the time of the attacks?
(a) A college basketball game at Yale.
(b) At a Marine facility in Lousiana.
(c) On vacation in Texas.
(d) A pre-school in Florida.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Aideed to go underground?
2. Of the following, which military action does NOT occur?
3. When TWA 800 explodes, what is the atmosphere in the White House?
4. Who does the Soviet Union offer to help, and in what way?
5. Why does Reagan create presence in the Persian Gulf, Afghanistan, and Israel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Saudi Arabia's situation as Iraq starts to look into Kuwait. What options does the Saudi King have? What factors must he consider in his decisions?
2. What are Clarke's feelings about Iraq after the World Trade Center is attacked on September 11, 2001? What does he wish for, and why?
3. How does Saddam try to assassinate George H.W. Bush? Describe the subsequent events that allow the U.S. to discover that Iraq is responsible for the attempt.
4. How does Condeleeza Rice handle the situation at the White house following the 9/11 attacks? How might others view her actions? How does Clarke view her actions?
5. What is Reagan's reaction to Hezbollah and other attacks? How does this set up a certain way of thinking in the Middle East?
6. How do Congress and the Clinton administration try to weaken Iran?
7. As terrorist attacks occur in New York and D.C., how are high levels in the White House expected to react? How is this difficult in the job? How is this difficult as a person?
8. Why does the U.S. send Marine forces into Lebanon? What does Reagan tell the administration, and why?
9. How does Saudi Arabia handle terrorists in their country? What examples show their efforts in stopping terrorism? How do they handle the Khobar attack?
10. What is Operation Staunch? How does it further influence the Iran-Iraq war?
This section contains 1,452 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)