|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Clinton's reaction to the terrorist attempt on George H.W. Bush?
(a) He wants to retaliate in action, not sanctions.
(b) He wants a diplomatic meeting with Hussein, but upon refusal uses military action.
(c) He prefers sanctions, but is convinced by his men to take military actions.
(d) He is angered by the fact that George H.W. Bush allowed Hussein to live after the Persian Gulf War.
2. As Clarke and other national levels get together, what does the mayor of New York City order?
(a) A state emergency.
(b) The National Guard's presence.
(c) Evacuation of New York City.
(d) Evacuation of Manhattan south of Canal St.
3. How does Clarke quell issues with Israel in regards to selling arms to South Africa?
(a) Threatens sanctions to all countries that sell to South Africa, including Israel.
(b) Discusses apartheid and anti-semitism with Ivry.
(c) Reminds Ivry that Israel needs the U.S. as long as Russia is a superpower.
(d) Offers financial strategies that can replace Israel's business with South Africa.
4. What had Clarke admitted to on a "60 Minutes" interview with Bonin just days before the 9/11 attacks?
(a) He had plans to retire in a month.
(b) He wants Bush impeached.
(c) He believes a big attack is inevitable.
(d) He is frustrated with the Bush administration's lack of focus on al Qaeda.
5. Initially, plans are to have Combat Air Patrol (CAP) over New York and D.C. Clarke then orders CAPs over every major city in the country. What causes him to extend the plans even further?
(a) The crash into the Pentagon.
(b) The movement of the President away from the Northeast.
(c) The crash into the Sears Tower.
(d) The crash in New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Clarke believes the "Caliphate" movement will result in what kind of society?
2. In 1996, who does the U.S. fear will plan terrorist attacks on Americans?
3. Why does Reagan create presence in the Persian Gulf, Afghanistan, and Israel?
4. What development adds to the political turmoil in the Middle East?
5. What influences the U.S to stop their attack on Iraq?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some differences between George W. Bush and Clinton? Which stands out the most to Clarke?
2. How does Saddam try to assassinate George H.W. Bush? Describe the subsequent events that allow the U.S. to discover that Iraq is responsible for the attempt.
3. Describe the political cartoon that reflects Clarke's feelings about the Bush administration. What does this motivate Clarke to do?
4. What is the transition from Clinton's administration to George W. Bush's administration like for Clarke and those working in counter-terrorism? How is this transition received by Clarke and others in counter-terrorism?
5. Who is Jamal al -Fadl, how does he help U.S. intelligence, and why?
6. Why does the Saudi Arabian government threaten bin Laden? How does Usama bin Laden remain strong despite these threats?
7. What Millennium attack plans are foiled and how are they foiled?
8. Describe Saudi Arabia's situation as Iraq starts to look into Kuwait. What options does the Saudi King have? What factors must he consider in his decisions?
9. What is Clarke's stance on conspiracy theories? How does he come to this conclusion?
10. What is different about the terrorists involved with the World Trade Center bombing in 1993 than terrorists from previous attacks?
This section contains 1,591 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)