|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Reagan create presence in the Persian Gulf, Afghanistan, and Israel?
(a) To strengthen allies with Iran, Afghanistan and Israel.
(b) To protect oil owned by the U.S.
(c) To put Russia off balance.
(d) To protect Iraq.
2. What is the CIA's view on Iraq's intentions concerning Kuwait before the Persian Gulf War begins?
(a) Iraq is working in cahoots with Kuwait.
(b) Iraq is desparate to take Kuwait.
(c) Iraq is just intimidating Kuwait.
(d) Iraq is willing to do whatever it takes to get Kuwait's oil fields.
3. Which country noticeably does not attend the International Summit on Terrorism?
(c) Saudi Arabia.
4. What causes Aideed to go underground?
(a) The U.S. snipers.
(b) AC-130 strikes.
(c) Excessive U.S. Marine helicopter presence.
(d) The people of Mogadishu rise up against him.
5. What concerns does the FBI have with the new counter-terrorism policy?
(a) Secret Service, CIA, and FBI must meet more often.
(b) Sharing information with civilians.
(c) The department is no longer autonomous but under the CSG.
(d) FBI investigations are now subject to random investigation by the CSG.
6. Why doesn't the federal government want to take over airport security?
(a) Budget costs.
(b) Lobbyists from private airport security firms and airlines.
(c) It takes away from private airline employment opportunities.
(d) They do not want to implement an entire new department.
7. Initially, plans are to have Combat Air Patrol (CAP) over New York and D.C. Clarke then orders CAPs over every major city in the country. What causes him to extend the plans even further?
(a) The crash in New York.
(b) The crash into the Sears Tower.
(c) The crash into the Pentagon.
(d) The movement of the President away from the Northeast.
8. What confounds the Counter-terrorism Security Group about the World Trade Center bombing?
(a) The type of bomb utilized in the attack.
(b) How the terrorist group got into the WTC.
(c) Why the WTC would be a target.
(d) The unknown names and unfamiliar terrorist group responsible.
9. During the Iran-Iraq war, what stance does the U.S. take?
(a) Aids Iran.
(b) Attempts peace talks between the two countries.
(c) Aids Iraq.
(d) Instills sanctions on both countries.
10. Who else wants to convict Omar Abdel Rahman for terrorism?
(d) Saudi Arabia.
11. According to Clarke, what is one of the mistakes of Reagan's administration?
(a) They leave too quickly from Pakistan and Afghanistan, leaving no influence.
(b) They backed the wrong country in the Iran-Iraq war.
(c) They never should have risked their alliance with Arabs by helping Israel.
(d) They failed to make a large enough military presence in the Persian Gulf.
12. What does Prince Turki ask of Usama bin Laden when he returns to Saudi Arabia from Afghanistan in 1989?
(a) To form a fundamentalist religion-based resistance against Yemen.
(b) To rally the residents of Saudi Arabia against the King.
(c) To keep his men intact in case they are needed in the future.
(d) To form an elite special forces for the Saudi Arabian army.
13. How does Clarke learn about the World Trade Center bombing in 1993?
(a) Clarke was in the vicinity.
(b) O'Neill calls him.
(d) Scowcroft asks him about it.
14. According to Clarke, what is one factor that stops counter-terrorism policies from passing in Congress?
(a) The push for budget cuts.
(b) WTC bombing of 1993 was not a large enough wake-up call.
(c) The lack of shared intelligence to the Congress.
(d) Republican-Democratic party animosity.
15. Why is it important to have Arab nations as allies when the U.S. goes to war against Iraq?
(a) It helps protect the U.S.'s image in the Muslim world.
(b) They are the next rising superpower.
(c) It helps keep Israel's good relationship.
(d) Otherwise, they will ally with Iraq against the U.S.
Short Answer Questions
1. Clarke believes the "Caliphate" movement will result in what kind of society?
2. What gets the Pentagon angry at the President's response to the Khobar attack?
3. What does Iran continue to do despite U.S. sanctions on them?
4. Who invites Usama bin Laden into their country?
5. How does Clarke begin making enemies with his own government?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)