|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What results in the Soviets' attempt to invade the central Asian region?
(a) They are able to keep presence until the fall of U.S.S.R.
(b) They withdraw in 1988.
(c) They withdraw but impress communist influence in the region.
(d) It creates unlikely alliances in the Middle East/central Asia/ Persian Gulf.
2. How does Clarke learn about the World Trade Center bombing in 1993?
(a) Clarke was in the vicinity.
(b) Scowcroft asks him about it.
(c) O'Neill calls him.
3. What had Clarke admitted to on a "60 Minutes" interview with Bonin just days before the 9/11 attacks?
(a) He believes a big attack is inevitable.
(b) He had plans to retire in a month.
(c) He is frustrated with the Bush administration's lack of focus on al Qaeda.
(d) He wants Bush impeached.
4. What is Clarke's goal in the Persian Gulf during Reagan's administration?
(a) Keep Israel happy.
(b) Advise military bases on emergency strategies.
(c) Procure bases.
(d) Sit in on peace talks between Iran and Iraq.
5. In 1996, who does the U.S. fear will plan terrorist attacks on Americans?
6. Who invites Usama bin Laden into their country?
(a) President Mohammed Najibullah from Afghanistan.
(b) Hasan al-Turabi from Sudan.
(c) Colonel Muammar Abu Minyar al-Qadhafi from Libya.
(d) Bendjedid from Algeria.
7. What development adds to the political turmoil in the Middle East?
(a) Russia invades Iran.
(b) Hussein attacks Iran.
(c) Iran attacks Israel.
(d) Hussein attacks Kuwait.
8. When is the Atlanta bomber of 1996 arrested?
(a) The culprit is still on the loose.
(b) Within 2 weeks.
(c) 13 years later.
(d) 7 years later.
9. Why does Secretary of State Christopher push to bomb an Iraqi facility on a Saturday night?
(a) It's the least likely time the U.S. media will notice.
(b) To minimize casualties.
(c) It'll be the most surprising time.
(d) He knows the Iraqis work weekend hours.
10. What key event does Russia provoke in 1979?
(a) Invasion of Afghanistan.
(b) Invasion of Iran.
(c) Invasion of Iraq.
(d) Invasion of Pakistan.
11. What causes Aideed to go underground?
(a) The U.S. snipers.
(b) Excessive U.S. Marine helicopter presence.
(c) The people of Mogadishu rise up against him.
(d) AC-130 strikes.
12. Where is President Bush at the time of the attacks?
(a) On vacation in Texas.
(b) At a Marine facility in Lousiana.
(c) A college basketball game at Yale.
(d) A pre-school in Florida.
13. Of those listed, which is NOT an option as a retaliation effort against Iran for the Khobar attack?
(a) Attack Iranian sponsored terrorist camps in Lebanon.
(b) Ally with Saudi Arabia for a small-scale attack.
(c) Employ an intelligence operation.
(d) Convince allies to an economic boycott.
14. The Russians almost prepare to exercise their strategic nuclear forces due to what concern?
(a) U.S.'s global alert to DEFCON 3.
(b) U.S.'s air patrol towards Alaska.
(c) U.S's naval movement towards Alaska.
(d) U.S.'s preparations for missile attacks.
15. What is the U.N. Special Commission's (UNSCOM) job?
(a) To oversee Hussein's punishment.
(b) Require Iraq to destroy chemical, biological, nuclear, missile programs.
(c) To keep an alliance of the Arab nations intact.
(d) To oversee the rebuilding of Kuwait.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clarke quell issues with Israel in regards to selling arms to South Africa?
2. What is the general response as Clarke and his team make an effort for an air defense system in D.C.?
3. According to Clarke, what countries must the U.S. be concerned about?
4. According to the Counter-terrorism Security Group, what possible target is a major concern?
5. What concerns does the FBI have with the new counter-terrorism policy?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)