|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The increase in counter-terrorism budget helped do what?
(a) Strengthen the Air Marshalls Program.
(b) Allow better intelligence capabilities.
(c) Strengthen the Secret Service staff.
(d) Increase airport security.
2. What is the first thing Clarke does upon hearing the news of the World Trade Center?
(a) Heads to the White House to speak with Cheney and Rice.
(b) Runs to the Situation Room at the White House.
(c) Calls O'Neill to see if he is OK.
(d) Calls Rice to see what she wants to do.
3. Clarke believes the "Caliphate" movement will result in what kind of society?
(a) A step backward to times before segregation of church and state.
(b) A freer society with greater religious understanding.
(c) A government run with corruption and by fundamentalists.
(d) A repressive 14th century literalist theocracy.
4. Who does the Soviet Union offer to help, and in what way?
(a) Give armaments to Iran.
(b) Enter the battle and invade Iran with Iraq.
(c) Offer air force support to Iran.
(d) Protect Iraq's oil shipments.
5. What problematic turn occurs in 1985 that alarms the U.S.?
(a) Israel and Iran are under terrorist attacks from one another.
(b) Russia is winning the war against Afghanistan.
(c) Russia is now invading Pakistan.
(d) Syria adds help to Iran.
6. As Clarke and other national levels get together, what does the mayor of New York City order?
(a) The National Guard's presence.
(b) Evacuation of Manhattan south of Canal St.
(c) Evacuation of New York City.
(d) A state emergency.
7. What does Watson from the FBI suggest the CSG do in the immediate hours following the 9/11 attacks?
(a) Attack al Qaeda.
(b) Allow the market and businesses to stay open.
(c) Evacuate the White House.
(d) Evacuate all landmark buildings.
8. Where is President Bush at the time of the attacks?
(a) On vacation in Texas.
(b) A college basketball game at Yale.
(c) A pre-school in Florida.
(d) At a Marine facility in Lousiana.
9. Of the following, which military action does NOT occur?
(a) An Atlantic fleet heads toward New York.
(b) Combat Air Patrol coverage over New York and D.C.
(c) The Army deployed to New York City.
(d) The National Guard deployed to New York.
10. Which country helps the U.S. strengthen its military presence in the Middle East?
(c) Saudia Arabia.
11. According to Clarke, what is one of the mistakes of Reagan's administration?
(a) They backed the wrong country in the Iran-Iraq war.
(b) They leave too quickly from Pakistan and Afghanistan, leaving no influence.
(c) They never should have risked their alliance with Arabs by helping Israel.
(d) They failed to make a large enough military presence in the Persian Gulf.
12. Among the following, who is NOT present at the Counter-terrorism Security Group meeting immediately after the 9/11 attacks?
13. What concern does Clarke have outside the U.S.?
(a) Colin Powell and other officials currently abroad.
(b) Talks with the U.K. to begin military actions against al Qaeda.
(c) Protecting the U.S. embassies overseas.
(d) Maximizing global empathy to help retaliate against al Qaeda.
14. When does Clarke finally allow himself to grieve over the deaths of 9/11?
(a) He doesn't until he retires.
(b) When he first sits down to write "Against All Enemies."
(c) At John O'Neill's funeral.
(d) Not for another month after 9/11.
15. What news does the FAA give that causes silence in the CSG meeting on 9/11?
(a) The names of the passengers on board include al Qaeda.
(b) Reports of 11 off-course flights or out of communication flights may be hijacked.
(c) They are unable to give orders to ground all flights.
(d) There is another off-course flight heading towards the Sears Tower.
Short Answer Questions
1. What concerns does the FBI have with the new counter-terrorism policy?
2. Who does Iran get on their side to overthrow the Khalifas?
3. What does Clarke especially fight for to prevent terrorist attacks?
4. What development adds to the political turmoil in the Middle East?
5. What influences the U.S to stop their attack on Iraq?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)