|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the Soviet Union offer to help, and in what way?
(a) Give armaments to Iran.
(b) Offer air force support to Iran.
(c) Protect Iraq's oil shipments.
(d) Enter the battle and invade Iran with Iraq.
2. How does Clarke learn of an assassination attempt on George H.W. Bush?
(a) An Arab-language London paper.
(b) Kuwait's ambassador.
3. What confounds the Counter-terrorism Security Group about the World Trade Center bombing?
(a) The type of bomb utilized in the attack.
(b) Why the WTC would be a target.
(c) The unknown names and unfamiliar terrorist group responsible.
(d) How the terrorist group got into the WTC.
4. Clarke believes the "Caliphate" movement will result in what kind of society?
(a) A step backward to times before segregation of church and state.
(b) A freer society with greater religious understanding.
(c) A government run with corruption and by fundamentalists.
(d) A repressive 14th century literalist theocracy.
5. How do the surviving families of TWA 800 respond to Clinton's visit?
(a) They shun his lack of genuine concern.
(b) They are angry for answers.
(c) They embrace his empathy.
(d) They understand he is there politically.
6. What is Clinton's reaction to the terrorist attempt on George H.W. Bush?
(a) He wants to retaliate in action, not sanctions.
(b) He wants a diplomatic meeting with Hussein, but upon refusal uses military action.
(c) He is angered by the fact that George H.W. Bush allowed Hussein to live after the Persian Gulf War.
(d) He prefers sanctions, but is convinced by his men to take military actions.
7. What is the general response as Clarke and his team make an effort for an air defense system in D.C.?
(a) They think he is creative, but disagree with the immediate need.
(b) They think he is nuts.
(c) They completely agree and back him.
(d) They believe he is too involved with conspiracy theories.
8. Why does Mike Fenzel have difficulty hearing the crisis conference in the Situation Room?
(a) Mrs. Cheney prefers to listen to CNN and Dick Cheney keeps hanging up the phone.
(b) Fenzel is holed in a cave that has no secure line.
(c) Dick Cheney will not allow him to.
(d) The PEOC has bad static in their teleconference monitors.
9. Initially, plans are to have Combat Air Patrol (CAP) over New York and D.C. Clarke then orders CAPs over every major city in the country. What causes him to extend the plans even further?
(a) The crash into the Sears Tower.
(b) The crash into the Pentagon.
(c) The movement of the President away from the Northeast.
(d) The crash in New York.
10. Why does Secretary of State Christopher push to bomb an Iraqi facility on a Saturday night?
(a) It'll be the most surprising time.
(b) To minimize casualties.
(c) He knows the Iraqis work weekend hours.
(d) It's the least likely time the U.S. media will notice.
11. What development adds to the political turmoil in the Middle East?
(a) Hussein attacks Iran.
(b) Hussein attacks Kuwait.
(c) Russia invades Iran.
(d) Iran attacks Israel.
12. What does Ramzi Yousef plan while on the lam for two years?
(a) Attacks on the Sears and John Hancock Tower in Chicago.
(b) Assassination attempt on President Clinton.
(c) Aircraft bombings on 11 different flights.
(d) Infiltration into the Pentagon's computer system.
13. Where does Clinton get assurance that the U.S. bomb hit its target in Iraq?
(a) A relative of a CNN employee.
(b) A Wall Street Journal reporter in the field.
(c) A friend who is a reporter for the Associated Press.
(d) CIA satellite photos.
14. Why is the Navy officer unsure of whether to contact Clarke about the World Trade Center bombing in 1993?
(a) Freeh tells him not to.
(b) It's the first major domestic terrorist attack.
(c) The FBI already arrives on scene.
(d) Clarke is not a popular figure amongst the military.
15. The Russians almost prepare to exercise their strategic nuclear forces due to what concern?
(a) U.S.'s global alert to DEFCON 3.
(b) U.S's naval movement towards Alaska.
(c) U.S.'s preparations for missile attacks.
(d) U.S.'s air patrol towards Alaska.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clarke especially fight for to prevent terrorist attacks?
2. As Clarke and other national levels get together, what does the mayor of New York City order?
3. According to Clarke, what is one factor that stops counter-terrorism policies from passing in Congress?
4. What key event does Russia provoke in 1979?
5. Why is it important to have Arab nations as allies when the U.S. goes to war against Iraq?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)