|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Reagan create presence in the Persian Gulf, Afghanistan, and Israel?
(a) To put Russia off balance.
(b) To protect Iraq.
(c) To protect oil owned by the U.S.
(d) To strengthen allies with Iran, Afghanistan and Israel.
2. Clarke believes the "Caliphate" movement will result in what kind of society?
(a) A step backward to times before segregation of church and state.
(b) A freer society with greater religious understanding.
(c) A repressive 14th century literalist theocracy.
(d) A government run with corruption and by fundamentalists.
3. What is Clarke's goal in the Persian Gulf during Reagan's administration?
(a) Keep Israel happy.
(b) Sit in on peace talks between Iran and Iraq.
(c) Procure bases.
(d) Advise military bases on emergency strategies.
4. How does Clarke quell issues with Israel in regards to selling arms to South Africa?
(a) Offers financial strategies that can replace Israel's business with South Africa.
(b) Discusses apartheid and anti-semitism with Ivry.
(c) Threatens sanctions to all countries that sell to South Africa, including Israel.
(d) Reminds Ivry that Israel needs the U.S. as long as Russia is a superpower.
5. Why is the Iranian Revolution important to the U.S.?
(a) The new regime is communist.
(b) The Shah of Iran is an important American ally.
(c) Ayatollah Khomeini is an ally of the U.S.
(d) The military coupe caused U.S. military deaths.
Short Answer Questions
1. What key event does Russia provoke in 1979?
2. Which country helps the U.S. strengthen its military presence in the Middle East?
3. What development adds to the political turmoil in the Middle East?
4. According to Clarke, what countries must the U.S. be concerned about?
5. What does the U.S. buy from Israel?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)