|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Annie's mother finally allow Annie to continue visiting St. John's even though Annie lied when her mother was gone on her trip?
2. What will be done for Timothy's condition soon?
3. What does one of the soldiers from Uncle Paul's unit advise Annie to do when she meets him about a week after Andrew's surgery?
4. Why is Annie's mother planning a trip the day after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
5. What had Andrew considered doing shortly after he was injured?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Annie spend much time reading to Timothy now that he can see again?
2. Why does Andrew tell Annie that her Uncle was not killed at Belleau Wood?
3. What does Annie find when she looks for Uncle Paul's Purple Heart?
4. When Annie learns her mother has returned, why do you think Andrew tells Annie to be "Gallant under fire"?
5. Why do you think it is so important to Annie that Uncle Paul get a Purple Heart?
6. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, how does Ruth help her understand her mother better?
7. How did Lieutenant McFarland describe Uncle Paul and his death?
8. Why does Andrew's father refuse to visit?
9. Annie's father is called out to St. John's one evening. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's, Andrew kisses her goodbye. How did Andrew's kiss affect Annie?
10. Why was it so important to Annie that Uncle Paul had listened to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grandfather and Grandmother have very different reactions to Paul's death. Write how their reactions differed when they first heard the news. List examples of other times when the author shows how differently they are coping with Uncle Paul's death. Explain why they might have different ways of coping. Do you think one method of dealing with Paul's death is better than another? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the novel, Annie's parents both brush away her fears about the wounded soldiers. Later, Annie will accuse her father of lying to her. Why do you think Annie's parents don't tell her the truth? Why do you think Annie's mother did not want Annie to worry about the soldiers? Why do you think Annie's father did not want her to worry about the soldiers?
Essay Topic 3
Examine how Ruth, Dr. Metcalf, Mrs. Metcalf, and Grandmother feel about the war memorial. Contrast their reactions and explain why the characters like or dislike the memorial. Explain what circumstances in their lives might have caused them to develop these opinions.
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)