|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Uncle Paul die, according to Lieutenant McFarland?
2. Why can't Annie hide the fact that she's been visiting St. John's from her mother any longer?
3. As the days pass since her grandparents and mother left, what does Annie begin to dread?
4. After Grandfather sends a letter about Uncle Paul's medals, what does Annie decide to do?
5. What did a soldier tell Annie's family when he informed them that Uncle Paul had died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Annie spend much time reading to Timothy now that he can see again?
2. What does Annie find when she looks for Uncle Paul's Purple Heart?
3. How did Lieutenant McFarland describe Uncle Paul and his death?
4. Why do you think it is so important to Annie that Uncle Paul get a Purple Heart?
5. Why does Andrew tell Annie that her Uncle was not killed at Belleau Wood?
6. Why doesn't Annie go to Colorado?
7. Why does Annie run when she learn how Uncle Paul died?
8. Why do you think Henry Cook told Annie to stop asking questions about her uncle's death?
9. Why does Andrew's father refuse to visit?
10. In Chapter 18, why does Annie feel like she might lose control?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the song lyrics that are included at the beginning of the novel? Why do you think the author chose a line from that song for the title of the book? Find and write about scenes from the book that relate to the song.
Essay Topic 2
A war memorial is being built to honor the soldiers who gave their lives in the war. There is no memorial being planned for those who have been wounded. Why do you think only the soldiers who died are being honored? Do you think the wounded men would appreciate being included on the memorial? Why or why not? Present reasons why the wounded men also should be honored for their sacrifices.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, the characters deal with several internal and external struggles. Provide examples of these struggles and explain how they are resolved at the end of the novel.
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)