|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the days pass since her grandparents and mother left, what does Annie begin to dread?
2. Why can't Annie hide the fact that she's been visiting St. John's from her mother any longer?
3. The day after Annie visits St. John's for a second time, Annie's mother decides to take a trip. Where is she going?
4. The evening that Annie and her father go back to St. John's, what does Andrew promise to do for Annie?
5. According to Annie, what did Uncle Paul earn for his service in the Army?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Annie spend much time reading to Timothy now that he can see again?
2. What does Annie realize about her mother and the war?
3. Grandfather visits St. John's for the first time since his heart attack. Why does Annie's mother drive Annie and Grandfather to St. John's?
4. Why do you think Henry Cook told Annie to stop asking questions about her uncle's death?
5. How did Lieutenant McFarland describe Uncle Paul and his death?
6. Why was it so important to Annie that Uncle Paul had listened to her?
7. Grandfather has had a heart attack. How is Grandfather doing and what is the plan to help him get well?
8. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, how does Ruth help her understand her mother better?
9. Why was Ruth so pleased about the dinner invitation?
10. Why are Dr. and Mrs. Metcalf angry when they discuss Annie's visits to St. John's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the first time Annie sees Andrew at the train station to her encounters with him at the hospital, she struggles with her natural reaction to turn away and her desire to be kind. Write about Annie's encounters with Andrew and explain why you think she is finally able to become friends with Andrew.
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Metcalf says that "all the treaties in the world won't end the war for [the soldiers]." What do you think Dr. Metcalf meant by that? List reasons why the war is not over for the wounded soldiers. Show incidents from the novel that show how the soldiers are still in a battle.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the song lyrics that are included at the beginning of the novel? Why do you think the author chose a line from that song for the title of the book? Find and write about scenes from the book that relate to the song.
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)