|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Crayton visits Annie after school begins. What does she give Annie?
2. Before Grandfather goes on the trip with Grandmother and Annie's mother, why does Annie tell him not to worry?
3. What does Annie do with her newfound freedom while her mother and her grandparents are gone on their trip?
4. How will Annie find out if the surgery is a success?
5. How does Annie's father learn how Uncle Paul died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Annie go to Colorado?
2. Why does Andrew need to go away soon?
3. Why does Annie run when she learn how Uncle Paul died?
4. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, how does Ruth help her understand her mother better?
5. How did Lieutenant McFarland describe Uncle Paul and his death?
6. What does Annie realize about her mother and the war?
7. Why doesn't starting high school scare Annie?
8. When Annie learns her mother has returned, why do you think Andrew tells Annie to be "Gallant under fire"?
9. How do Annie and Emily put their differences behind them after Grandfather's heart attack?
10. Why was Ruth so pleased about the dinner invitation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Purple Heart is one of the highest honors that a soldier can receive. Describe how Andrew feels about his Purple Heart. List examples from the novel that show Andrew's feelings about the medal. How do you think other soldiers at the hospital feel about their medals? Explore why they might feel that way.
Essay Topic 2
Miss Peterson, Emily, a trolley conductor, and even Mrs. Metcalf wish to forget the war and forget the men wounded in the war. Why do you think they don't honor the men for the sacrifices they made? Explain the reasons why the different characters might feel that way. Especially focus on the reasons why Mrs. Metcalf doesn't want to discuss the war. Did Mrs. Metcalf always hate the war? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the author uses foreshadowing regarding Uncle Paul's death. List examples of where the author uses foreshadowing to make you question the circumstances behind his death.
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)