|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On her third visit to St. John's, why does Annie try to apologize to Andrew?
2. It is almost time for Annie's mother to return home. What season of the year is ending?
3. On Annie's third visit to St. John's, how does Andrew respond when Annie attempts to apologize?
4. Annie is allowed to visit St. John's again, but now Andrew is busy. What is Andrew doing at the hospital that keeps him busy?
5. About a week after Andrew's surgery, to whom does Andrew introduce Annie?
Essay Topic 1
Grandfather and Grandmother have very different reactions to Paul's death. Write how their reactions differed when they first heard the news. List examples of other times when the author shows how differently they are coping with Uncle Paul's death. Explain why they might have different ways of coping. Do you think one method of dealing with Paul's death is better than another? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Annie has changed since her father left home and she will continue to change and grow up during the course of the novel. Describe the changes in Annie. Provide examples of how she changes, especially in the way she thinks about life and how she relates to her parents.
Essay Topic 3
After her mother leaves for Colorado, Annie deliberately disobeys her mother and continues to visit St. John's. Describe the struggle Annie has with her conscience as she lies to both her parents. Include examples that show her struggle. Do you think the good that Annie was doing excused the fact that she was disobeying her mother?
This section contains 1,303 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)