|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annie begin to realize about her mother and her mother's behavior after her second visit to St. John's?
2. Why are Annie's days a flurry of activity now that her mother has been gone for awhile?
3. How did Annie's friendship help Andrew?
4. On Annie's third visit to St. John's, how does Andrew respond when Annie attempts to apologize?
5. Why didn't Uncle Paul die in battle on June 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lieutenant McFarland describe Uncle Paul and his death?
2. Why was it so important to Annie that Uncle Paul had listened to her?
3. What do Mrs. Metcalf and Annie find unfair about everything that has happened concerning Uncle Paul's death and how he died?
4. How do Annie and Emily put their differences behind them after Grandfather's heart attack?
5. Do you think Annie was right to disobey her mother and visit St. John's again?
6. Why doesn't Annie go to Colorado?
7. Why does Andrew need to go away soon?
8. Why are Dr. and Mrs. Metcalf angry when they discuss Annie's visits to St. John's?
9. Why do you think it is so important to Annie that Uncle Paul get a Purple Heart?
10. Why do you think Henry Cook told Annie to stop asking questions about her uncle's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grandfather and Grandmother have very different reactions to Paul's death. Write how their reactions differed when they first heard the news. List examples of other times when the author shows how differently they are coping with Uncle Paul's death. Explain why they might have different ways of coping. Do you think one method of dealing with Paul's death is better than another? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the novel, Annie's parents both brush away her fears about the wounded soldiers. Later, Annie will accuse her father of lying to her. Why do you think Annie's parents don't tell her the truth? Why do you think Annie's mother did not want Annie to worry about the soldiers? Why do you think Annie's father did not want her to worry about the soldiers?
Essay Topic 3
A war memorial is being built to honor the soldiers who gave their lives in the war. There is no memorial being planned for those who have been wounded. Why do you think only the soldiers who died are being honored? Do you think the wounded men would appreciate being included on the memorial? Why or why not? Present reasons why the wounded men also should be honored for their sacrifices.
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)