|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Annie feel about staying home and not going on a trip with Mother and her grandparents?
2. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, what does she wonder about her mother's views?
3. Annie is allowed to visit St. John's again, but now Andrew is busy. What is Andrew doing at the hospital that keeps him busy?
4. What is the setting in Chapters 13 and 14?
5. About a week after Andrew's surgery, Annie goes to St. John's earlier than usual. What good news does she hear?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 18, why does Annie feel like she might lose control?
2. Why doesn't Annie spend much time reading to Timothy now that he can see again?
3. Annie's father is called out to St. John's one evening. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's, Andrew kisses her goodbye. How did Andrew's kiss affect Annie?
4. Grandfather has had a heart attack. How is Grandfather doing and what is the plan to help him get well?
5. Why are Dr. and Mrs. Metcalf angry when they discuss Annie's visits to St. John's?
6. What does Annie find when she looks for Uncle Paul's Purple Heart?
7. How was Andrew injured?
8. Why was it so important to Annie that Uncle Paul had listened to her?
9. Why do you think Henry Cook told Annie to stop asking questions about her uncle's death?
10. The evening Annie and her father visit St. John's in the evening, what makes Annie's father realize how much she has grown since he has been gone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Metcalf says that "all the treaties in the world won't end the war for [the soldiers]." What do you think Dr. Metcalf meant by that? List reasons why the war is not over for the wounded soldiers. Show incidents from the novel that show how the soldiers are still in a battle.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the song lyrics that are included at the beginning of the novel? Why do you think the author chose a line from that song for the title of the book? Find and write about scenes from the book that relate to the song.
Essay Topic 3
Grandfather and Grandmother have very different reactions to Paul's death. Write how their reactions differed when they first heard the news. List examples of other times when the author shows how differently they are coping with Uncle Paul's death. Explain why they might have different ways of coping. Do you think one method of dealing with Paul's death is better than another? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)