|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens the evening after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
2. Why didn't Uncle Paul die in battle on June 6?
3. After Grandfather sends a letter about Uncle Paul's medals, what does Annie decide to do?
4. Why does Annie's mother not want Annie to visit St. John's for a third time?
5. Where did Uncle Paul die, according to Lieutenant McFarland?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, how does Ruth help her understand her mother better?
2. Grandfather has had a heart attack. How is Grandfather doing and what is the plan to help him get well?
3. When Annie learns her mother has returned, why do you think Andrew tells Annie to be "Gallant under fire"?
4. Annie's father is called out to St. John's one evening. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's, Andrew kisses her goodbye. How did Andrew's kiss affect Annie?
5. Why doesn't starting high school scare Annie?
6. What does Annie find when she looks for Uncle Paul's Purple Heart?
7. What do Mrs. Metcalf and Annie find unfair about everything that has happened concerning Uncle Paul's death and how he died?
8. Why doesn't Annie go to Colorado?
9. Why does Andrew tell Annie that her Uncle was not killed at Belleau Wood?
10. Why do you think Henry Cook told Annie to stop asking questions about her uncle's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A war memorial is being built to honor the soldiers who gave their lives in the war. There is no memorial being planned for those who have been wounded. Why do you think only the soldiers who died are being honored? Do you think the wounded men would appreciate being included on the memorial? Why or why not? Present reasons why the wounded men also should be honored for their sacrifices.
Essay Topic 2
Annie's parents don't always agree. Write how they work out their differences. List specific examples of times when they disagree and how they come to an agreement.
Essay Topic 3
Explore how the different characters react to Paul's death. Are the reactions of the various characters typical of what you would expect based on their relationship to Paul? Would you expect Grandmother to react more strongly than Annie? Compare the reactions of the different characters.
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)