|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Annie's mother wish to discuss the war or its aftermath?
2. The morning after Annie's second visit to St. John's, what news do Annie and her grandmother learn?
3. Where is Andrew's home?
4. After Annie learns how Uncle Paul died, why does she feel guilty?
5. Why does Annie's mother not want Annie to visit St. John's for a third time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Annie find when she looks for Uncle Paul's Purple Heart?
2. Why doesn't Annie spend much time reading to Timothy now that he can see again?
3. Why are Dr. and Mrs. Metcalf angry when they discuss Annie's visits to St. John's?
4. Grandfather has had a heart attack. How is Grandfather doing and what is the plan to help him get well?
5. Annie's father is called out to St. John's one evening. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's, Andrew kisses her goodbye. How did Andrew's kiss affect Annie?
6. What do Mrs. Metcalf and Annie find unfair about everything that has happened concerning Uncle Paul's death and how he died?
7. Why was Ruth so pleased about the dinner invitation?
8. Why does Andrew need to go away soon?
9. How do Annie and Emily put their differences behind them after Grandfather's heart attack?
10. How was Andrew injured?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the novel, Annie's parents both brush away her fears about the wounded soldiers. Later, Annie will accuse her father of lying to her. Why do you think Annie's parents don't tell her the truth? Why do you think Annie's mother did not want Annie to worry about the soldiers? Why do you think Annie's father did not want her to worry about the soldiers?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, the characters deal with several internal and external struggles. Provide examples of these struggles and explain how they are resolved at the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Paul and Andrew. Write about their differences and similarities. How would the novel have been different if Uncle Paul had been wounded instead of killed?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)