|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The evening that Annie and her father go back to St. John's, what does Andrew promise to do for Annie?
2. Why is Andrew having surgery?
3. What does one of the soldiers from Uncle Paul's unit advise Annie to do when she meets him about a week after Andrew's surgery?
4. Why does Mrs. Crayton visit Annie after school starts?
5. How did Annie's friendship help Andrew?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Mrs. Metcalf and Annie find unfair about everything that has happened concerning Uncle Paul's death and how he died?
2. How do Annie and Emily put their differences behind them after Grandfather's heart attack?
3. Why does Annie run when she learn how Uncle Paul died?
4. Why doesn't Annie go to Colorado?
5. Grandfather visits St. John's for the first time since his heart attack. Why does Annie's mother drive Annie and Grandfather to St. John's?
6. Why was it so important to Annie that Uncle Paul had listened to her?
7. Why does Andrew tell Annie that her Uncle was not killed at Belleau Wood?
8. The evening Annie and her father visit St. John's in the evening, what makes Annie's father realize how much she has grown since he has been gone?
9. How was Andrew injured?
10. Annie's father is called out to St. John's one evening. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's, Andrew kisses her goodbye. How did Andrew's kiss affect Annie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the novel, Annie is troubled by the wounded soldiers she sees at the train station. Throughout the novel, she struggles with mixed feelings about the wounded men. Annie's mother is even more disturbed by the wounded men. Explore whether Mrs. Metcalf's attitude toward the war and the wounded soldiers influenced Annie. Did Mrs. Metcalf's refusal to discuss the men make Annie determined to prove her mother wrong? Does Mrs. Metcalf's declaration that Annie will be bothered by the men give Annie the courage to face the men and show her mother how strong she is? Explore reasons why Mrs. Metcalf's attitude may have given Annie the strength to face the men and think for herself.
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Metcalf's attitudes change over the course of the novel. Describe her feelings at the beginning of the novel. List examples that show how she changes. Especially compare her attitude toward Andrew at the beginning and at the end of the novel. Explain why you think her attitude changes.
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Metcalf says that "all the treaties in the world won't end the war for [the soldiers]." What do you think Dr. Metcalf meant by that? List reasons why the war is not over for the wounded soldiers. Show incidents from the novel that show how the soldiers are still in a battle.
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)