|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Andrew enjoy going to school when he was a boy?
2. Why does Ruth come over to Annie's house the evening after Annie visits St. John's for a second time?
3. According to Annie, what did Uncle Paul earn for his service in the Army?
4. On her third visit to St. John's, why does Annie try to apologize to Andrew?
5. On Annie's third visit to St. John's, who do Annie and Andrew talk about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Mrs. Metcalf and Annie find unfair about everything that has happened concerning Uncle Paul's death and how he died?
2. Why are Dr. and Mrs. Metcalf angry when they discuss Annie's visits to St. John's?
3. The evening Annie and her father visit St. John's in the evening, what makes Annie's father realize how much she has grown since he has been gone?
4. Grandfather has had a heart attack. How is Grandfather doing and what is the plan to help him get well?
5. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, how does Ruth help her understand her mother better?
6. How was Andrew injured?
7. What does Annie find when she looks for Uncle Paul's Purple Heart?
8. Why doesn't starting high school scare Annie?
9. In Chapter 18, why does Annie feel like she might lose control?
10. When Annie learns her mother has returned, why do you think Andrew tells Annie to be "Gallant under fire"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grandfather and Grandmother have very different reactions to Paul's death. Write how their reactions differed when they first heard the news. List examples of other times when the author shows how differently they are coping with Uncle Paul's death. Explain why they might have different ways of coping. Do you think one method of dealing with Paul's death is better than another? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Examine how Ruth, Dr. Metcalf, Mrs. Metcalf, and Grandmother feel about the war memorial. Contrast their reactions and explain why the characters like or dislike the memorial. Explain what circumstances in their lives might have caused them to develop these opinions.
Essay Topic 3
From the first time Annie sees Andrew at the train station to her encounters with him at the hospital, she struggles with her natural reaction to turn away and her desire to be kind. Write about Annie's encounters with Andrew and explain why you think she is finally able to become friends with Andrew.
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)