|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Armistice Day approaches, what bothers Annie about the war memorial?
2. After Annie learns how Uncle Paul died, why does she feel guilty?
3. After arguing with her mother about St. John's, Annie goes to her room to think. What interrupts Annie's thoughts?
4. Why didn't Andrew enjoy going to school when he was a boy?
5. Who does Annie's mother invite to dinner before Andrew leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Andrew tell Annie that her Uncle was not killed at Belleau Wood?
2. The evening Annie and her father visit St. John's in the evening, what makes Annie's father realize how much she has grown since he has been gone?
3. What does Annie find when she looks for Uncle Paul's Purple Heart?
4. Why do you think it is so important to Annie that Uncle Paul get a Purple Heart?
5. Why does Andrew's father refuse to visit?
6. What does Annie realize about her mother and the war?
7. How did Lieutenant McFarland describe Uncle Paul and his death?
8. Annie's father is called out to St. John's one evening. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's, Andrew kisses her goodbye. How did Andrew's kiss affect Annie?
9. Do you think Annie was right to disobey her mother and visit St. John's again?
10. In Chapter 18, why does Annie feel like she might lose control?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A war memorial is being built to honor the soldiers who gave their lives in the war. There is no memorial being planned for those who have been wounded. Why do you think only the soldiers who died are being honored? Do you think the wounded men would appreciate being included on the memorial? Why or why not? Present reasons why the wounded men also should be honored for their sacrifices.
Essay Topic 2
Annie's parents don't always agree. Write how they work out their differences. List specific examples of times when they disagree and how they come to an agreement.
Essay Topic 3
Miss Peterson, Emily, a trolley conductor, and even Mrs. Metcalf wish to forget the war and forget the men wounded in the war. Why do you think they don't honor the men for the sacrifices they made? Explain the reasons why the different characters might feel that way. Especially focus on the reasons why Mrs. Metcalf doesn't want to discuss the war. Did Mrs. Metcalf always hate the war? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)