|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. It is almost time for Annie's mother to return home. What season of the year is ending?
2. When and where did Uncle Paul die?
3. How does Annie's father learn how Uncle Paul died?
4. After Annie learns how Uncle Paul died, why does she feel guilty?
5. Why are Annie and her mother avoiding each other the evening after her mother returns from her trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. Grandfather visits St. John's for the first time since his heart attack. Why does Annie's mother drive Annie and Grandfather to St. John's?
2. When Annie learns her mother has returned, why do you think Andrew tells Annie to be "Gallant under fire"?
3. Annie's father is called out to St. John's one evening. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's, Andrew kisses her goodbye. How did Andrew's kiss affect Annie?
4. Why do you think Henry Cook told Annie to stop asking questions about her uncle's death?
5. Why does Andrew need to go away soon?
6. Grandfather has had a heart attack. How is Grandfather doing and what is the plan to help him get well?
7. Why doesn't Annie go to Colorado?
8. Why was Ruth so pleased about the dinner invitation?
9. In Chapter 18, why does Annie feel like she might lose control?
10. What does Annie realize about her mother and the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Metcalf says that "all the treaties in the world won't end the war for [the soldiers]." What do you think Dr. Metcalf meant by that? List reasons why the war is not over for the wounded soldiers. Show incidents from the novel that show how the soldiers are still in a battle.
Essay Topic 2
Annie's parents don't always agree. Write how they work out their differences. List specific examples of times when they disagree and how they come to an agreement.
Essay Topic 3
Examine how Ruth, Dr. Metcalf, Mrs. Metcalf, and Grandmother feel about the war memorial. Contrast their reactions and explain why the characters like or dislike the memorial. Explain what circumstances in their lives might have caused them to develop these opinions.
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)