|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Andrew tell Annie about researching Uncle Paul's death?
2. What is the outcome of Andrew's surgery?
3. What did a soldier tell Annie's family when he informed them that Uncle Paul had died?
4. Why does Annie's mother not want Annie to visit St. John's for a third time?
5. The day after Annie visits St. John's for a second time, Annie's mother decides to take a trip. Where is she going?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't starting high school scare Annie?
2. Why does Andrew need to go away soon?
3. Why does Andrew's father refuse to visit?
4. Do you think Annie was right to disobey her mother and visit St. John's again?
5. The evening Annie and her father visit St. John's in the evening, what makes Annie's father realize how much she has grown since he has been gone?
6. In Chapter 18, why does Annie feel like she might lose control?
7. What do Mrs. Metcalf and Annie find unfair about everything that has happened concerning Uncle Paul's death and how he died?
8. Why was Ruth so pleased about the dinner invitation?
9. Why doesn't Annie spend much time reading to Timothy now that he can see again?
10. Why does Andrew tell Annie that her Uncle was not killed at Belleau Wood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine how Ruth, Dr. Metcalf, Mrs. Metcalf, and Grandmother feel about the war memorial. Contrast their reactions and explain why the characters like or dislike the memorial. Explain what circumstances in their lives might have caused them to develop these opinions.
Essay Topic 2
After her mother leaves for Colorado, Annie deliberately disobeys her mother and continues to visit St. John's. Describe the struggle Annie has with her conscience as she lies to both her parents. Include examples that show her struggle. Do you think the good that Annie was doing excused the fact that she was disobeying her mother?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, the characters deal with several internal and external struggles. Provide examples of these struggles and explain how they are resolved at the end of the novel.
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)