|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, what does she wonder about her mother's views?
2. What does Andrew appreciate about Annie?
3. It is almost time for Annie's mother to return home. What season of the year is ending?
4. Annie is allowed to visit St. John's again, but now Andrew is busy. What is Andrew doing at the hospital that keeps him busy?
5. Why is there a conflict between Annie's parents now that Mrs. Metcalf has returned from her trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it so important to Annie that Uncle Paul had listened to her?
2. Why doesn't Annie spend much time reading to Timothy now that he can see again?
3. Why was Ruth so pleased about the dinner invitation?
4. What does Annie find when she looks for Uncle Paul's Purple Heart?
5. Why doesn't Annie go to Colorado?
6. Annie's father is called out to St. John's one evening. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's, Andrew kisses her goodbye. How did Andrew's kiss affect Annie?
7. Why does Andrew need to go away soon?
8. What does Annie realize about her mother and the war?
9. Why are Dr. and Mrs. Metcalf angry when they discuss Annie's visits to St. John's?
10. What do Mrs. Metcalf and Annie find unfair about everything that has happened concerning Uncle Paul's death and how he died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Miss Peterson, Emily, a trolley conductor, and even Mrs. Metcalf wish to forget the war and forget the men wounded in the war. Why do you think they don't honor the men for the sacrifices they made? Explain the reasons why the different characters might feel that way. Especially focus on the reasons why Mrs. Metcalf doesn't want to discuss the war. Did Mrs. Metcalf always hate the war? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, the characters deal with several internal and external struggles. Provide examples of these struggles and explain how they are resolved at the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Metcalf says that "all the treaties in the world won't end the war for [the soldiers]." What do you think Dr. Metcalf meant by that? List reasons why the war is not over for the wounded soldiers. Show incidents from the novel that show how the soldiers are still in a battle.
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)