|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Annie learns how Uncle Paul died, why does she feel guilty?
2. How did Annie's friendship help Andrew?
3. Where did Uncle Paul die, according to Lieutenant McFarland?
4. Before Grandfather goes on the trip with Grandmother and Annie's mother, why does Annie tell him not to worry?
5. Mrs. Crayton visits Annie after school begins. What does she give Annie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Annie run when she learn how Uncle Paul died?
2. Do you think Annie was right to disobey her mother and visit St. John's again?
3. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, how does Ruth help her understand her mother better?
4. In Chapter 18, why does Annie feel like she might lose control?
5. Why does Andrew need to go away soon?
6. How was Andrew injured?
7. Why does Andrew tell Annie that her Uncle was not killed at Belleau Wood?
8. Why does Andrew's father refuse to visit?
9. Why was Ruth so pleased about the dinner invitation?
10. How did Lieutenant McFarland describe Uncle Paul and his death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Annie's parents don't always agree. Write how they work out their differences. List specific examples of times when they disagree and how they come to an agreement.
Essay Topic 2
Andrew enlists in the war voluntarily. As the son of a farmer, he could have stayed home. If Andrew could turn back the clock, do you think he would decide not to enlist? Do you think he is the type of person that would have felt he needed to serve regardless of the cost?Explain why or why not he would choose to enlist if he knew he would be horribly injured.
Essay Topic 3
The Purple Heart is one of the highest honors that a soldier can receive. Describe how Andrew feels about his Purple Heart. List examples from the novel that show Andrew's feelings about the medal. How do you think other soldiers at the hospital feel about their medals? Explore why they might feel that way.
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)