|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will be done for Timothy's condition soon?
2. What did a soldier tell Annie's family when he informed them that Uncle Paul had died?
3. What happens the evening after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
4. What reunites Annie and her mother after their argument when Annie's mother returned from her trip?
5. Why doesn't Annie's mother wish to discuss the war or its aftermath?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A war memorial is being built to honor the soldiers who gave their lives in the war. There is no memorial being planned for those who have been wounded. Why do you think only the soldiers who died are being honored? Do you think the wounded men would appreciate being included on the memorial? Why or why not? Present reasons why the wounded men also should be honored for their sacrifices.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the song lyrics that are included at the beginning of the novel? Why do you think the author chose a line from that song for the title of the book? Find and write about scenes from the book that relate to the song.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Paul and Andrew. Write about their differences and similarities. How would the novel have been different if Uncle Paul had been wounded instead of killed?
This section contains 1,347 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)