|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is there a conflict between Annie's parents now that Mrs. Metcalf has returned from her trip?
2. What does Annie begin to realize about her mother and her mother's behavior after her second visit to St. John's?
3. Why is Annie so angry with her mother as they drive away from St. John's after Annie's second visit?
4. What does one of the soldiers from Uncle Paul's unit advise Annie to do when she meets him about a week after Andrew's surgery?
5. Why is Andrew having surgery?
Short Essay Questions
1. Annie's father is called out to St. John's one evening. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's, Andrew kisses her goodbye. How did Andrew's kiss affect Annie?
2. Why do you think Henry Cook told Annie to stop asking questions about her uncle's death?
3. Why doesn't starting high school scare Annie?
4. What does Annie realize about her mother and the war?
5. Why does Andrew's father refuse to visit?
6. Why do you think it is so important to Annie that Uncle Paul get a Purple Heart?
7. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, how does Ruth help her understand her mother better?
8. The evening Annie and her father visit St. John's in the evening, what makes Annie's father realize how much she has grown since he has been gone?
9. Grandfather visits St. John's for the first time since his heart attack. Why does Annie's mother drive Annie and Grandfather to St. John's?
10. Why does Annie run when she learn how Uncle Paul died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Miss Peterson, Emily, a trolley conductor, and even Mrs. Metcalf wish to forget the war and forget the men wounded in the war. Why do you think they don't honor the men for the sacrifices they made? Explain the reasons why the different characters might feel that way. Especially focus on the reasons why Mrs. Metcalf doesn't want to discuss the war. Did Mrs. Metcalf always hate the war? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Although Ruth is not a major character, she plays an important role in the novel. How would the story have been different if she was not a part of the story? List scenes from the book where she influenced other characters and has an impact on decisions they make.
Essay Topic 3
Annie's parents don't always agree. Write how they work out their differences. List specific examples of times when they disagree and how they come to an agreement.
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)