|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Annie and her father visit St. John's in the evening a couple days after Grandfather writes Annie?
2. What did a soldier tell Annie's family when he informed them that Uncle Paul had died?
3. The day after receiving Grandfather's letter, who does Annie meet at the hospital?
4. What is the setting in Chapters 13 and 14?
5. Who tells Annie how Uncle Paul died?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Andrew injured?
2. Why do you think it is so important to Annie that Uncle Paul get a Purple Heart?
3. Do you think Annie was right to disobey her mother and visit St. John's again?
4. Why does Annie run when she learn how Uncle Paul died?
5. Annie's father is called out to St. John's one evening. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's, Andrew kisses her goodbye. How did Andrew's kiss affect Annie?
6. In Chapter 18, why does Annie feel like she might lose control?
7. What does Annie find when she looks for Uncle Paul's Purple Heart?
8. Why does Andrew's father refuse to visit?
9. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, how does Ruth help her understand her mother better?
10. When Annie learns her mother has returned, why do you think Andrew tells Annie to be "Gallant under fire"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the author uses foreshadowing regarding Uncle Paul's death. List examples of where the author uses foreshadowing to make you question the circumstances behind his death.
Essay Topic 2
Explore how the different characters react to Paul's death. Are the reactions of the various characters typical of what you would expect based on their relationship to Paul? Would you expect Grandmother to react more strongly than Annie? Compare the reactions of the different characters.
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Metcalf's attitudes change over the course of the novel. Describe her feelings at the beginning of the novel. List examples that show how she changes. Especially compare her attitude toward Andrew at the beginning and at the end of the novel. Explain why you think her attitude changes.
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)