|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Annie so angry with her mother as they drive away from St. John's after Annie's second visit?
2. What does Annie begin to realize about her mother and her mother's behavior after her second visit to St. John's?
3. Before the dinner party, what does Ruth encourage Annie to do?
4. What does Annie do with her newfound freedom while her mother and her grandparents are gone on their trip?
5. What is the outcome of Andrew's surgery?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it so important to Annie that Uncle Paul had listened to her?
2. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, how does Ruth help her understand her mother better?
3. Grandfather has had a heart attack. How is Grandfather doing and what is the plan to help him get well?
4. How do Annie and Emily put their differences behind them after Grandfather's heart attack?
5. Why doesn't Annie go to Colorado?
6. Annie's father is called out to St. John's one evening. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's, Andrew kisses her goodbye. How did Andrew's kiss affect Annie?
7. How did Lieutenant McFarland describe Uncle Paul and his death?
8. What does Annie find when she looks for Uncle Paul's Purple Heart?
9. Why doesn't Annie spend much time reading to Timothy now that he can see again?
10. The evening Annie and her father visit St. John's in the evening, what makes Annie's father realize how much she has grown since he has been gone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Metcalf says that "all the treaties in the world won't end the war for [the soldiers]." What do you think Dr. Metcalf meant by that? List reasons why the war is not over for the wounded soldiers. Show incidents from the novel that show how the soldiers are still in a battle.
Essay Topic 2
A war memorial is being built to honor the soldiers who gave their lives in the war. There is no memorial being planned for those who have been wounded. Why do you think only the soldiers who died are being honored? Do you think the wounded men would appreciate being included on the memorial? Why or why not? Present reasons why the wounded men also should be honored for their sacrifices.
Essay Topic 3
Although Ruth is not a major character, she plays an important role in the novel. How would the story have been different if she was not a part of the story? List scenes from the book where she influenced other characters and has an impact on decisions they make.
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)