|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does one of the soldiers from Uncle Paul's unit advise Annie to do when she meets him about a week after Andrew's surgery?
2. How did Uncle Paul die?
3. It is almost time for Annie's mother to return home. What season of the year is ending?
4. Before the dinner party, what does Ruth encourage Annie to do?
5. As Armistice Day approaches, what bothers Annie about the war memorial?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Andrew injured?
2. Why does Andrew's father refuse to visit?
3. How do Annie and Emily put their differences behind them after Grandfather's heart attack?
4. Why doesn't Annie go to Colorado?
5. Why doesn't Annie spend much time reading to Timothy now that he can see again?
6. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, how does Ruth help her understand her mother better?
7. How did Lieutenant McFarland describe Uncle Paul and his death?
8. The evening Annie and her father visit St. John's in the evening, what makes Annie's father realize how much she has grown since he has been gone?
9. Annie's father is called out to St. John's one evening. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's, Andrew kisses her goodbye. How did Andrew's kiss affect Annie?
10. Why does Annie run when she learn how Uncle Paul died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Andrew enlists in the war voluntarily. As the son of a farmer, he could have stayed home. If Andrew could turn back the clock, do you think he would decide not to enlist? Do you think he is the type of person that would have felt he needed to serve regardless of the cost?Explain why or why not he would choose to enlist if he knew he would be horribly injured.
Essay Topic 2
Although Ruth is not a major character, she plays an important role in the novel. How would the story have been different if she was not a part of the story? List scenes from the book where she influenced other characters and has an impact on decisions they make.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, the characters deal with several internal and external struggles. Provide examples of these struggles and explain how they are resolved at the end of the novel.
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)