|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The day after Annie visits St. John's for a second time, Annie's mother decides to take a trip. Where is she going?
2. How did Uncle Paul die?
3. Why is Andrew having surgery?
4. What grade is Annie in this school year?
5. Who does Annie's mother invite to dinner before Andrew leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it so important to Annie that Uncle Paul had listened to her?
2. What does Annie realize about her mother and the war?
3. In Chapter 18, why does Annie feel like she might lose control?
4. Why does Andrew tell Annie that her Uncle was not killed at Belleau Wood?
5. How did Lieutenant McFarland describe Uncle Paul and his death?
6. What do Mrs. Metcalf and Annie find unfair about everything that has happened concerning Uncle Paul's death and how he died?
7. Why do you think it is so important to Annie that Uncle Paul get a Purple Heart?
8. The evening Annie and her father visit St. John's in the evening, what makes Annie's father realize how much she has grown since he has been gone?
9. Grandfather visits St. John's for the first time since his heart attack. Why does Annie's mother drive Annie and Grandfather to St. John's?
10. What does Annie find when she looks for Uncle Paul's Purple Heart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Annie's parents don't always agree. Write how they work out their differences. List specific examples of times when they disagree and how they come to an agreement.
Essay Topic 2
Grandfather and Grandmother have very different reactions to Paul's death. Write how their reactions differed when they first heard the news. List examples of other times when the author shows how differently they are coping with Uncle Paul's death. Explain why they might have different ways of coping. Do you think one method of dealing with Paul's death is better than another? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
From the first time Annie sees Andrew at the train station to her encounters with him at the hospital, she struggles with her natural reaction to turn away and her desire to be kind. Write about Annie's encounters with Andrew and explain why you think she is finally able to become friends with Andrew.
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)