|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The day after receiving Grandfather's letter, who does Annie meet at the hospital?
2. Where do Annie's mother and her Uncle John go the evening after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
3. What does Grandfather say in his letter about Uncle Paul's medals?
4. Why is Annie happy when she goes home the evening that she and Father go to St. John's?
5. What did a soldier tell Annie's family when he informed them that Uncle Paul had died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Henry Cook told Annie to stop asking questions about her uncle's death?
2. Grandfather has had a heart attack. How is Grandfather doing and what is the plan to help him get well?
3. Why was Ruth so pleased about the dinner invitation?
4. When Annie learns her mother has returned, why do you think Andrew tells Annie to be "Gallant under fire"?
5. Why are Dr. and Mrs. Metcalf angry when they discuss Annie's visits to St. John's?
6. Why was it so important to Annie that Uncle Paul had listened to her?
7. Why does Andrew need to go away soon?
8. The evening Annie and her father visit St. John's in the evening, what makes Annie's father realize how much she has grown since he has been gone?
9. Grandfather visits St. John's for the first time since his heart attack. Why does Annie's mother drive Annie and Grandfather to St. John's?
10. How was Andrew injured?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Andrew enlists in the war voluntarily. As the son of a farmer, he could have stayed home. If Andrew could turn back the clock, do you think he would decide not to enlist? Do you think he is the type of person that would have felt he needed to serve regardless of the cost?Explain why or why not he would choose to enlist if he knew he would be horribly injured.
Essay Topic 2
Annie's parents don't always agree. Write how they work out their differences. List specific examples of times when they disagree and how they come to an agreement.
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Metcalf's attitudes change over the course of the novel. Describe her feelings at the beginning of the novel. List examples that show how she changes. Especially compare her attitude toward Andrew at the beginning and at the end of the novel. Explain why you think her attitude changes.
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)