|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting in Chapters 13 and 14?
2. Annie is back in school now. Where is Andrew going soon?
3. What bothers Andrew about the special celebration to be held on Armistice Day?
4. What does Grandfather say in his letter about Uncle Paul's medals?
5. Annie is allowed to visit St. John's again, but now Andrew is busy. What is Andrew doing at the hospital that keeps him busy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lieutenant McFarland describe Uncle Paul and his death?
2. Grandfather has had a heart attack. How is Grandfather doing and what is the plan to help him get well?
3. Why does Andrew's father refuse to visit?
4. Why are Dr. and Mrs. Metcalf angry when they discuss Annie's visits to St. John's?
5. Why doesn't starting high school scare Annie?
6. Why doesn't Annie go to Colorado?
7. Why do you think Henry Cook told Annie to stop asking questions about her uncle's death?
8. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, how does Ruth help her understand her mother better?
9. Annie's father is called out to St. John's one evening. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's, Andrew kisses her goodbye. How did Andrew's kiss affect Annie?
10. What does Annie realize about her mother and the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Miss Peterson, Emily, a trolley conductor, and even Mrs. Metcalf wish to forget the war and forget the men wounded in the war. Why do you think they don't honor the men for the sacrifices they made? Explain the reasons why the different characters might feel that way. Especially focus on the reasons why Mrs. Metcalf doesn't want to discuss the war. Did Mrs. Metcalf always hate the war? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the song lyrics that are included at the beginning of the novel? Why do you think the author chose a line from that song for the title of the book? Find and write about scenes from the book that relate to the song.
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of the novel, Annie's parents both brush away her fears about the wounded soldiers. Later, Annie will accuse her father of lying to her. Why do you think Annie's parents don't tell her the truth? Why do you think Annie's mother did not want Annie to worry about the soldiers? Why do you think Annie's father did not want her to worry about the soldiers?
This section contains 1,159 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)