|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Annie and her mother getting along now that her mother and her grandparents have returned from their trip?
2. Why, over the course of the summer, has Andrew's condition improved?
3. Why is Andrew having surgery?
4. According to Ruth, why did Andrew, Uncle Paul, and other young men enlist in the war?
5. What does Annie do each day now that her mother has been gone for a few days?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Annie run when she learn how Uncle Paul died?
2. The evening Annie and her father visit St. John's in the evening, what makes Annie's father realize how much she has grown since he has been gone?
3. Grandfather has had a heart attack. How is Grandfather doing and what is the plan to help him get well?
4. Why does Andrew tell Annie that her Uncle was not killed at Belleau Wood?
5. What does Annie find when she looks for Uncle Paul's Purple Heart?
6. Do you think Annie was right to disobey her mother and visit St. John's again?
7. Annie's father is called out to St. John's one evening. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's, Andrew kisses her goodbye. How did Andrew's kiss affect Annie?
8. How was Andrew injured?
9. In Chapter 18, why does Annie feel like she might lose control?
10. When Annie learns her mother has returned, why do you think Andrew tells Annie to be "Gallant under fire"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Ruth is not a major character, she plays an important role in the novel. How would the story have been different if she was not a part of the story? List scenes from the book where she influenced other characters and has an impact on decisions they make.
Essay Topic 2
Explore how the different characters react to Paul's death. Are the reactions of the various characters typical of what you would expect based on their relationship to Paul? Would you expect Grandmother to react more strongly than Annie? Compare the reactions of the different characters.
Essay Topic 3
Miss Peterson, Emily, a trolley conductor, and even Mrs. Metcalf wish to forget the war and forget the men wounded in the war. Why do you think they don't honor the men for the sacrifices they made? Explain the reasons why the different characters might feel that way. Especially focus on the reasons why Mrs. Metcalf doesn't want to discuss the war. Did Mrs. Metcalf always hate the war? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)