|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Annie's mother not want Annie to visit St. John's for a third time?
2. After arguing with her mother about St. John's, Annie goes to her room to think. What interrupts Annie's thoughts?
3. The day after receiving Grandfather's letter, who does Annie meet at the hospital?
4. Why doesn't Andrew's father visit him?
5. What does Annie begin to realize about her mother and her mother's behavior after her second visit to St. John's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the author uses foreshadowing regarding Uncle Paul's death. List examples of where the author uses foreshadowing to make you question the circumstances behind his death.
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Metcalf says that "all the treaties in the world won't end the war for [the soldiers]." What do you think Dr. Metcalf meant by that? List reasons why the war is not over for the wounded soldiers. Show incidents from the novel that show how the soldiers are still in a battle.
Essay Topic 3
After her mother leaves for Colorado, Annie deliberately disobeys her mother and continues to visit St. John's. Describe the struggle Annie has with her conscience as she lies to both her parents. Include examples that show her struggle. Do you think the good that Annie was doing excused the fact that she was disobeying her mother?
This section contains 1,339 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)