|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After arguing with her mother about St. John's, Annie goes to her room to think. What interrupts Annie's thoughts?
2. What do Annie and her mother do when they get home after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
3. Why doesn't Annie visit the hospital a few days after she receives Grandfather's letter?
4. Before Grandfather goes on the trip with Grandmother and Annie's mother, why does Annie tell him not to worry?
5. Why are Annie's days a flurry of activity now that her mother has been gone for awhile?
Essay Topic 1
Andrew enlists in the war voluntarily. As the son of a farmer, he could have stayed home. If Andrew could turn back the clock, do you think he would decide not to enlist? Do you think he is the type of person that would have felt he needed to serve regardless of the cost?Explain why or why not he would choose to enlist if he knew he would be horribly injured.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the song lyrics that are included at the beginning of the novel? Why do you think the author chose a line from that song for the title of the book? Find and write about scenes from the book that relate to the song.
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Metcalf's attitudes change over the course of the novel. Describe her feelings at the beginning of the novel. List examples that show how she changes. Especially compare her attitude toward Andrew at the beginning and at the end of the novel. Explain why you think her attitude changes.
This section contains 1,347 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)