|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is there a conflict between Annie's parents now that Mrs. Metcalf has returned from her trip?
(a) That Annie's father allowed her to visit the hospital daily.
(b) That Annie didn't attend Sunday School while her mother was gone.
(c) That Annie didn't keep up with the household chores while her mother was gone.
(d) That Annie's father still refuses to work at the county hospital.
2. The day after Annie visits St. John's for a second time, Annie's mother decides to take a trip. Where is she going?
(a) To stay at Annie's grandparents' home.
(b) New York City.
(c) Estes Park, Colorado.
(d) To Ruth's house.
3. Before the dinner party, what does Ruth encourage Annie to do?
(a) Remember Uncle Paul as he was and not focus on how he died.
(b) Take more difficult classes at school.
(c) Write to Andrew.
(d) Get a part-time job at the hospital.
4. What is the outcome of Andrew's surgery?
(a) He had a bad reaction to the anesthesia.
(b) An infection has set in and he will have to have another surgery.
(c) It is successful with no complications.
(d) There are complications and he will need another surgery.
5. On her third visit to St. John's, why does Annie try to apologize to Andrew?
(a) Because she didn't bring anything to read to him.
(b) Because she ran away the first day she met him.
(c) Because her mother was so rude.
(d) Because she forgot to bring cookies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens the evening after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
2. Why didn't Andrew enjoy going to school when he was a boy?
3. Why doesn't Annie visit the hospital a few days after she receives Grandfather's letter?
4. Why are Annie and her mother avoiding each other the evening after her mother returns from her trip?
5. Why didn't Uncle Paul die in battle on June 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Andrew's father refuse to visit?
2. Grandfather visits St. John's for the first time since his heart attack. Why does Annie's mother drive Annie and Grandfather to St. John's?
3. How was Andrew injured?
4. How did Lieutenant McFarland describe Uncle Paul and his death?
5. Grandfather has had a heart attack. How is Grandfather doing and what is the plan to help him get well?
6. Why was it so important to Annie that Uncle Paul had listened to her?
7. When Annie learns her mother has returned, why do you think Andrew tells Annie to be "Gallant under fire"?
8. Why do you think Henry Cook told Annie to stop asking questions about her uncle's death?
9. What does Annie realize about her mother and the war?
10. Why was Ruth so pleased about the dinner invitation?
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)