|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Uncle Paul die, according to Lieutenant McFarland?
(a) Passchendaele Ridge.
(c) Belleau Woods.
(d) Argonne Woods.
2. What is the outcome of Andrew's surgery?
(a) There are complications and he will need another surgery.
(b) It is successful with no complications.
(c) He had a bad reaction to the anesthesia.
(d) An infection has set in and he will have to have another surgery.
3. On Annie's third visit to St. John's, how does Andrew respond when Annie attempts to apologize?
(a) He dismisses her apology.
(b) He tells her not to worry about what happened.
(c) He gets angry.
(d) He struggles to hold back tears.
4. Although Annie is busy this summer and enjoying herself, why does she have times when she feels guilty?
(a) She isn't getting all the chores done at home.
(b) She doesn't have time to check on her grandparents home.
(c) She is visiting St. John's even though her mother ordered her not to go there.
(d) She burned her father's dinner.
5. Before the dinner party, what does Ruth encourage Annie to do?
(a) Write to Andrew.
(b) Remember Uncle Paul as he was and not focus on how he died.
(c) Get a part-time job at the hospital.
(d) Take more difficult classes at school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Annie's mother invite to dinner before Andrew leaves?
2. What will be done for Timothy's condition soon?
3. Why do Annie and her father visit St. John's in the evening a couple days after Grandfather writes Annie?
4. What does Andrew appreciate about Annie?
5. Before Grandfather goes on the trip with Grandmother and Annie's mother, why does Annie tell him not to worry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Annie's father is called out to St. John's one evening. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's, Andrew kisses her goodbye. How did Andrew's kiss affect Annie?
2. Why doesn't Annie spend much time reading to Timothy now that he can see again?
3. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, how does Ruth help her understand her mother better?
4. Why was Ruth so pleased about the dinner invitation?
5. What do Mrs. Metcalf and Annie find unfair about everything that has happened concerning Uncle Paul's death and how he died?
6. Why do you think it is so important to Annie that Uncle Paul get a Purple Heart?
7. Why does Andrew tell Annie that her Uncle was not killed at Belleau Wood?
8. Why doesn't starting high school scare Annie?
9. How do Annie and Emily put their differences behind them after Grandfather's heart attack?
10. Why was it so important to Annie that Uncle Paul had listened to her?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)