|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ruth come over to Annie's house the evening after Annie visits St. John's for a second time?
(a) To take Annie to see her father.
(b) To give Annie another book.
(c) To stay with Annie and her grandmother.
(d) To talk with Annie's mother.
2. What bothers Andrew about the special celebration to be held on Armistice Day?
(a) That he has to participate in the celebration.
(b) That veterans from St. John's are not asked to participate.
(c) That Timothy will not be there to celebrate with them.
(d) That it is his last day in Kansas City.
3. How was Andrew injured?
(a) The gas tank of the vehicle he was riding was in exploded.
(b) He lost his gas mask and couldn't protect himself from an attack of mustard gas.
(c) A grenade was thrown into the trench where he waited.
(d) He was in a building that exploded.
4. Why does Annie's mother finally allow Annie to continue visiting St. John's even though Annie lied when her mother was gone on her trip?
(a) Ruth convinces Annie's mother to allow Annie to visit.
(b) Andrew calls Annie's mother and asks if she can visit again.
(c) Annie's father convinces her of the importance of Annie's visits to the soldiers.
(d) Annie's grandfather asks her to reconsider.
5. According to Ruth, why did Andrew, Uncle Paul, and other young men enlist in the war?
(a) They wanted to get away from home.
(b) They liked to fight and shoot guns.
(c) It was exciting to think of becoming a soldier.
(d) They wanted to serve their country.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Annie visit the hospital a few days after she receives Grandfather's letter?
2. About a week after Andrew's surgery, Annie goes to St. John's earlier than usual. What good news does she hear?
3. Why didn't Andrew enjoy going to school when he was a boy?
4. After arguing with her mother about St. John's, Annie goes to her room to think. What interrupts Annie's thoughts?
5. Why is the date of Uncle Paul's death in question?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Annie run when she learn how Uncle Paul died?
2. Grandfather visits St. John's for the first time since his heart attack. Why does Annie's mother drive Annie and Grandfather to St. John's?
3. Why do you think it is so important to Annie that Uncle Paul get a Purple Heart?
4. What does Annie realize about her mother and the war?
5. Why are Dr. and Mrs. Metcalf angry when they discuss Annie's visits to St. John's?
6. Why doesn't Annie spend much time reading to Timothy now that he can see again?
7. How do Annie and Emily put their differences behind them after Grandfather's heart attack?
8. The evening Annie and her father visit St. John's in the evening, what makes Annie's father realize how much she has grown since he has been gone?
9. When Annie learns her mother has returned, why do you think Andrew tells Annie to be "Gallant under fire"?
10. Why doesn't Annie go to Colorado?
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)