|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On Annie's third visit to St. John's, who do Annie and Andrew talk about?
(a) Uncle Paul.
(b) Annie's grandfather.
(c) Annie's mother.
2. How will Annie find out if the surgery is a success?
(a) One of the nuns will call her after the surgery.
(b) Timothy will call her after the surgery.
(c) She will find out when she visits again.
(d) Her father will call her from the hospital.
3. Why does Annie write a letter to her grandfather after her third visit to St. John's?
(a) To find out when Grandfather will be returning home.
(b) To pass on a message from her father.
(c) To ask if Uncle Paul received a Purple Heart.
(d) To ask Grandfather if he is feeling better.
4. How did Uncle Paul die?
(a) He was packing hand grenades and one exploded.
(c) A gun discharged in his tent and wounded him fatally.
5. What does Annie do each day now that her mother has been gone for a few days?
(a) Go to the library to see Ruth.
(b) Visit St. John's to see Andrew and help the nuns.
(c) Visit friends.
(d) Play the piano.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grandfather say in his letter about Uncle Paul's medals?
2. After Grandfather sends a letter about Uncle Paul's medals, what does Annie decide to do?
3. Why, over the course of the summer, has Andrew's condition improved?
4. What medal did Andrew receive?
5. Why are Annie's days a flurry of activity now that her mother has been gone for awhile?
Short Essay Questions
1. Grandfather visits St. John's for the first time since his heart attack. Why does Annie's mother drive Annie and Grandfather to St. John's?
2. Do you think Annie was right to disobey her mother and visit St. John's again?
3. What does Annie find when she looks for Uncle Paul's Purple Heart?
4. Why do you think Henry Cook told Annie to stop asking questions about her uncle's death?
5. Why does Andrew tell Annie that her Uncle was not killed at Belleau Wood?
6. Why was Ruth so pleased about the dinner invitation?
7. Why does Andrew need to go away soon?
8. Why was it so important to Annie that Uncle Paul had listened to her?
9. The evening Annie and her father visit St. John's in the evening, what makes Annie's father realize how much she has grown since he has been gone?
10. What do Mrs. Metcalf and Annie find unfair about everything that has happened concerning Uncle Paul's death and how he died?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)