|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Uncle Paul die?
(b) A gun discharged in his tent and wounded him fatally.
(d) He was packing hand grenades and one exploded.
2. What is the setting in Chapters 13 and 14?
(b) Annie's home and St. John's hospital.
(c) The park.
(d) Annie's grandparents' house.
3. How will Annie find out if the surgery is a success?
(a) Her father will call her from the hospital.
(b) One of the nuns will call her after the surgery.
(c) Timothy will call her after the surgery.
(d) She will find out when she visits again.
4. According to Ruth, why did Andrew, Uncle Paul, and other young men enlist in the war?
(a) It was exciting to think of becoming a soldier.
(b) They liked to fight and shoot guns.
(c) They wanted to get away from home.
(d) They wanted to serve their country.
5. How was Andrew injured?
(a) He lost his gas mask and couldn't protect himself from an attack of mustard gas.
(b) The gas tank of the vehicle he was riding was in exploded.
(c) A grenade was thrown into the trench where he waited.
(d) He was in a building that exploded.
Short Answer Questions
1. The day after Annie visits St. John's for a second time, Annie's mother decides to take a trip. Where is she going?
2. What will be done for Timothy's condition soon?
3. Annie is allowed to visit St. John's again, but now Andrew is busy. What is Andrew doing at the hospital that keeps him busy?
4. Before the dinner party, what does Ruth encourage Annie to do?
5. About a week after Andrew's surgery, Annie goes to St. John's earlier than usual. What good news does she hear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Ruth so pleased about the dinner invitation?
2. Why doesn't Annie spend much time reading to Timothy now that he can see again?
3. How do Annie and Emily put their differences behind them after Grandfather's heart attack?
4. Why doesn't starting high school scare Annie?
5. Do you think Annie was right to disobey her mother and visit St. John's again?
6. Why do you think it is so important to Annie that Uncle Paul get a Purple Heart?
7. How was Andrew injured?
8. Why doesn't Annie go to Colorado?
9. Why are Dr. and Mrs. Metcalf angry when they discuss Annie's visits to St. John's?
10. Why does Andrew tell Annie that her Uncle was not killed at Belleau Wood?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)