|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Annie, what did Uncle Paul earn for his service in the Army?
(a) Medals for courage.
(b) An Iron Cross.
(c) A Purple Heart.
(d) A commendation.
2. Why, over the course of the summer, has Andrew's condition improved?
(a) The doctors are finding better ways to treat his condition.
(b) The camaraderie of his fellow soldiers is helping him to have a more positive attitude.
(c) His friendship with Annie.
(d) His father visits daily.
3. When and where did Uncle Paul die?
(a) April 14, 1918, in Germany.
(b) October, 5, 1917, in Germany.
(c) January 4, 1918, in France.
(d) June 6, 1918, in France.
4. What does Annie do each day now that her mother has been gone for a few days?
(a) Visit St. John's to see Andrew and help the nuns.
(b) Visit friends.
(c) Go to the library to see Ruth.
(d) Play the piano.
5. Why didn't Andrew enjoy going to school when he was a boy?
(a) He got bad grades.
(b) He didn't like his teachers.
(c) His best friend went to a different school.
(d) He didn't like sitting still.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Annie and her mother do when they get home after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
2. Why does Annie write a letter to her grandfather after her third visit to St. John's?
3. Mrs. Crayton visits Annie after school begins. What does she give Annie?
4. What did a soldier tell Annie's family when he informed them that Uncle Paul had died?
5. What does Annie do with her newfound freedom while her mother and her grandparents are gone on their trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. Grandfather visits St. John's for the first time since his heart attack. Why does Annie's mother drive Annie and Grandfather to St. John's?
2. How did Lieutenant McFarland describe Uncle Paul and his death?
3. Grandfather has had a heart attack. How is Grandfather doing and what is the plan to help him get well?
4. Annie's father is called out to St. John's one evening. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's, Andrew kisses her goodbye. How did Andrew's kiss affect Annie?
5. The evening Annie and her father visit St. John's in the evening, what makes Annie's father realize how much she has grown since he has been gone?
6. Why do you think Henry Cook told Annie to stop asking questions about her uncle's death?
7. Why was Ruth so pleased about the dinner invitation?
8. What do Mrs. Metcalf and Annie find unfair about everything that has happened concerning Uncle Paul's death and how he died?
9. In Chapter 18, why does Annie feel like she might lose control?
10. What does Annie realize about her mother and the war?
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)