|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Annie's mother invite to dinner before Andrew leaves?
(a) Andrew and Timothy.
(b) Annie's grandparents.
(c) Andrew and Ruth.
(d) Andrew and his parents.
2. Although Annie is busy this summer and enjoying herself, why does she have times when she feels guilty?
(a) She is visiting St. John's even though her mother ordered her not to go there.
(b) She burned her father's dinner.
(c) She doesn't have time to check on her grandparents home.
(d) She isn't getting all the chores done at home.
3. What happens the evening after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
(a) Uncle John was in an accident.
(b) Annie's mother hurt her hand.
(c) Annie's father was in an accident.
(d) Annie's grandfather is very sick.
4. On Annie's third visit to St. John's, who do Annie and Andrew talk about?
(a) Annie's mother.
(c) Uncle Paul.
(d) Annie's grandfather.
5. It is almost time for Annie's mother to return home. What season of the year is ending?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Annie how Uncle Paul died?
2. After Grandfather sends a letter about Uncle Paul's medals, what does Annie decide to do?
3. According to Ruth, why did Andrew, Uncle Paul, and other young men enlist in the war?
4. Where is Andrew's home?
5. Why didn't Andrew enjoy going to school when he was a boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Henry Cook told Annie to stop asking questions about her uncle's death?
2. How did Lieutenant McFarland describe Uncle Paul and his death?
3. What does Annie find when she looks for Uncle Paul's Purple Heart?
4. Do you think Annie was right to disobey her mother and visit St. John's again?
5. Why does Andrew's father refuse to visit?
6. How was Andrew injured?
7. Grandfather has had a heart attack. How is Grandfather doing and what is the plan to help him get well?
8. Why does Andrew need to go away soon?
9. Why are Dr. and Mrs. Metcalf angry when they discuss Annie's visits to St. John's?
10. Why doesn't Annie go to Colorado?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)