|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Annie happy when she goes home the evening that she and Father go to St. John's?
(a) The nuns are very pleased with her work.
(b) Andrew kisses the top of her head.
(c) Her father asked her to assist him.
(d) Everyone at St. John's enjoys her cookies.
2. After Annie learns how Uncle Paul died, why does she feel guilty?
(a) The pain she caused investigating Uncle Paul's death.
(b) She has been too busy to get together with friends.
(c) She does not have as much time to visit Andrew as she would like.
(d) She visited St. John's all summer without her mother's permission.
3. Why doesn't Annie's mother wish to discuss the war or its aftermath?
(a) She doesn't like to think about the injured, dying, or dead soldiers.
(b) She thinks America should not have been involved in the war.
(c) Talking about the war reminds her of Uncle Paul's death.
(d) She is a pacifist and is against war.
4. Where do Annie's mother and her Uncle John go the evening after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
(a) To find Annie's father.
(b) To Annie's grandparents' home.
(c) To the hospital.
(d) To the library.
5. What will be done for Timothy's condition soon?
(a) The doctors will use a new salve on his eyes.
(b) His bandages will be removed.
(c) He will have an operation.
(d) He will learn Braille.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annie do with her newfound freedom while her mother and her grandparents are gone on their trip?
2. On her third visit to St. John's, why does Annie try to apologize to Andrew?
3. Why is Annie's mother planning a trip the day after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
4. Why can't Annie hide the fact that she's been visiting St. John's from her mother any longer?
5. How will Annie find out if the surgery is a success?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Annie learns her mother has returned, why do you think Andrew tells Annie to be "Gallant under fire"?
2. Why was Ruth so pleased about the dinner invitation?
3. How was Andrew injured?
4. Why do you think it is so important to Annie that Uncle Paul get a Purple Heart?
5. Grandfather visits St. John's for the first time since his heart attack. Why does Annie's mother drive Annie and Grandfather to St. John's?
6. In Chapter 18, why does Annie feel like she might lose control?
7. Why does Andrew need to go away soon?
8. Do you think Annie was right to disobey her mother and visit St. John's again?
9. What do Mrs. Metcalf and Annie find unfair about everything that has happened concerning Uncle Paul's death and how he died?
10. Why doesn't Annie spend much time reading to Timothy now that he can see again?
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)