|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why didn't Uncle Paul die in battle on June 6?
(a) He was in Britain on June 6.
(b) The army listed the wrong date in the telegram sent to Annie's family.
(c) His unit didn't fight a battle until June 14.
(d) He wasn't in France on June 6.
2. Annie is allowed to visit St. John's again, but now Andrew is busy. What is Andrew doing at the hospital that keeps him busy?
(a) Custodial work.
(b) Doing physical therapy with some of the patients.
(c) Playing baseball.
(d) Yard work.
3. What will be done for Timothy's condition soon?
(a) He will learn Braille.
(b) The doctors will use a new salve on his eyes.
(c) He will have an operation.
(d) His bandages will be removed.
4. Why doesn't Annie visit the hospital a few days after she receives Grandfather's letter?
(a) Her father told her to stay home.
(b) Andrew is having medical tests.
(c) She has to see Ruth at the library.
(d) Andrew asked her not to visit.
5. After Annie's mother leaves on the trip with her grandparents, why is Annie nervous about telling her father she wants to go to St. John's?
(a) She is afraid that he will think she does not have time to visit.
(b) She is afraid he will not want her going to St. John's by herself.
(c) She is afraid that her mother told him that Annie is not allowed to visit.
(d) She is afraid he will not want her to visit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Annie's mother and her Uncle John go the evening after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
2. After Annie learns how Uncle Paul died, why does she feel guilty?
3. How does Annie's father learn how Uncle Paul died?
4. It is almost time for Annie's mother to return home. What season of the year is ending?
5. How was Andrew injured?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Annie find when she looks for Uncle Paul's Purple Heart?
2. Why doesn't Annie spend much time reading to Timothy now that he can see again?
3. Why does Andrew tell Annie that her Uncle was not killed at Belleau Wood?
4. What does Annie realize about her mother and the war?
5. Why doesn't starting high school scare Annie?
6. Do you think Annie was right to disobey her mother and visit St. John's again?
7. Why was it so important to Annie that Uncle Paul had listened to her?
8. When Annie learns her mother has returned, why do you think Andrew tells Annie to be "Gallant under fire"?
9. Why does Andrew need to go away soon?
10. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, how does Ruth help her understand her mother better?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)