|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Annie so angry with her mother as they drive away from St. John's after Annie's second visit?
(a) She wanted to come home on the trolley.
(b) She wanted to get ice cream before they went home.
(c) Annie was just beginning to get to know Andrew and her mother had ruined it all.
(d) She had wanted to come home with Father.
2. Annie is back in school now. Where is Andrew going soon?
(a) To work for his father.
(b) To his grandparents' home.
(c) Back to school.
(d) To work in a veteran's hospital in Topeka.
3. What is the outcome of Andrew's surgery?
(a) It is successful with no complications.
(b) He had a bad reaction to the anesthesia.
(c) An infection has set in and he will have to have another surgery.
(d) There are complications and he will need another surgery.
4. What bothers Andrew about the special celebration to be held on Armistice Day?
(a) That Timothy will not be there to celebrate with them.
(b) That it is his last day in Kansas City.
(c) That veterans from St. John's are not asked to participate.
(d) That he has to participate in the celebration.
5. Why is Andrew having surgery?
(a) Repair his damaged mouth.
(b) Remove the damaged skin from his torso.
(c) Repair his jaw.
(d) Repair his nose.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Crayton visits Annie after school begins. What does she give Annie?
2. What does Annie do each day now that her mother has been gone for a few days?
3. It is almost time for Annie's mother to return home. What season of the year is ending?
4. What does one of the soldiers from Uncle Paul's unit advise Annie to do when she meets him about a week after Andrew's surgery?
5. Why is Annie's mother planning a trip the day after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Annie go to Colorado?
2. Why does Andrew need to go away soon?
3. How did Lieutenant McFarland describe Uncle Paul and his death?
4. In Chapter 18, why does Annie feel like she might lose control?
5. Annie's father is called out to St. John's one evening. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's, Andrew kisses her goodbye. How did Andrew's kiss affect Annie?
6. What do Mrs. Metcalf and Annie find unfair about everything that has happened concerning Uncle Paul's death and how he died?
7. How was Andrew injured?
8. Why does Annie run when she learn how Uncle Paul died?
9. Why do you think it is so important to Annie that Uncle Paul get a Purple Heart?
10. Why doesn't Annie spend much time reading to Timothy now that he can see again?
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)