|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are Annie and her mother getting along now that her mother and her grandparents have returned from their trip?
(a) They are glad to be back together.
(b) There is tension between them.
(c) Their relationship is better than it ever has been.
(d) They're planning on going to the hospital together.
2. What had Andrew considered doing shortly after he was injured?
(a) Work hard so he could get back to the fighting.
(b) Leaving the army without permission.
(c) Killing himself.
(d) Study to become a doctor and help others who were severely injured.
3. Mrs. Crayton visits Annie after school begins. What does she give Annie?
(a) A book of maps.
(b) A novel Annie has been wanting to read.
(d) A pre-war photograph of Andrew.
4. Why is Annie's mother planning a trip the day after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
(a) She had an argument with Annie's father.
(b) She has an invitation to play a new piece of music at a concert.
(c) She needs more books from the library.
(d) She and Grandmother will take Grandfather on a trip to recuperate.
5. Although Annie is busy this summer and enjoying herself, why does she have times when she feels guilty?
(a) She isn't getting all the chores done at home.
(b) She is visiting St. John's even though her mother ordered her not to go there.
(c) She burned her father's dinner.
(d) She doesn't have time to check on her grandparents home.
Short Answer Questions
1. The morning after Annie's second visit to St. John's, what news do Annie and her grandmother learn?
2. Before the dinner party, what does Ruth encourage Annie to do?
3. Why is Annie happy when she goes home the evening that she and Father go to St. John's?
4. What grade is Annie in this school year?
5. After arguing with her mother about St. John's, Annie goes to her room to think. What interrupts Annie's thoughts?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Andrew need to go away soon?
2. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, how does Ruth help her understand her mother better?
3. Why was Ruth so pleased about the dinner invitation?
4. Why does Andrew tell Annie that her Uncle was not killed at Belleau Wood?
5. Annie's father is called out to St. John's one evening. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's, Andrew kisses her goodbye. How did Andrew's kiss affect Annie?
6. In Chapter 18, why does Annie feel like she might lose control?
7. Why doesn't Annie spend much time reading to Timothy now that he can see again?
8. Grandfather has had a heart attack. How is Grandfather doing and what is the plan to help him get well?
9. When Annie learns her mother has returned, why do you think Andrew tells Annie to be "Gallant under fire"?
10. Why do you think it is so important to Annie that Uncle Paul get a Purple Heart?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)