|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Andrew appreciate about Annie?
(a) That she is his friend and doesn't look away when she sees him.
(b) That she bakes delicious cookies.
(c) That she visits daily.
(d) Her ability to play the piano.
2. After Annie learns how Uncle Paul died, why does she feel guilty?
(a) She has been too busy to get together with friends.
(b) She does not have as much time to visit Andrew as she would like.
(c) The pain she caused investigating Uncle Paul's death.
(d) She visited St. John's all summer without her mother's permission.
3. The morning after Annie's second visit to St. John's, what news do Annie and her grandmother learn?
(a) Annie's grandfather died at the hospital.
(b) Annie's father is very sick.
(c) Annie's grandfather has cancer.
(d) Annie's grandfather has had a heart attack, but will live.
4. How does Annie's father learn how Uncle Paul died?
(a) Grandfather tells him.
(b) Timothy tells him.
(c) Andrew tells him.
(d) Annie tells him.
5. What medal did Andrew receive?
(a) Distinguished Service Medal.
(b) Bronze Star.
(c) A letter of commendation.
(d) Purple Heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Annie so angry with her mother as they drive away from St. John's after Annie's second visit?
2. Why does Annie write a letter to her grandfather after her third visit to St. John's?
3. The day after Annie visits St. John's for a second time, Annie's mother decides to take a trip. Where is she going?
4. How did Uncle Paul die?
5. Who does Annie's mother invite to dinner before Andrew leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Annie and Emily put their differences behind them after Grandfather's heart attack?
2. Annie's father is called out to St. John's one evening. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's, Andrew kisses her goodbye. How did Andrew's kiss affect Annie?
3. How was Andrew injured?
4. How did Lieutenant McFarland describe Uncle Paul and his death?
5. Why does Andrew need to go away soon?
6. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, how does Ruth help her understand her mother better?
7. Why was it so important to Annie that Uncle Paul had listened to her?
8. Why does Andrew tell Annie that her Uncle was not killed at Belleau Wood?
9. What do Mrs. Metcalf and Annie find unfair about everything that has happened concerning Uncle Paul's death and how he died?
10. When Annie learns her mother has returned, why do you think Andrew tells Annie to be "Gallant under fire"?
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)