|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The day after receiving Grandfather's letter, who does Annie meet at the hospital?
(a) Mrs. Lewis, Timothy's mother.
(b) Mrs. Crayton, Andrew's mother.
(c) Andrew's siblings.
(d) Mr. Lewis, Timothy's father.
2. Why doesn't Annie visit the hospital a few days after she receives Grandfather's letter?
(a) Her father told her to stay home.
(b) She has to see Ruth at the library.
(c) Andrew is having medical tests.
(d) Andrew asked her not to visit.
3. What does Annie do each day now that her mother has been gone for a few days?
(a) Go to the library to see Ruth.
(b) Play the piano.
(c) Visit St. John's to see Andrew and help the nuns.
(d) Visit friends.
4. About a week after Andrew's surgery, to whom does Andrew introduce Annie?
(a) The doctor who performed Andrew's surgery.
(b) A soldier who served with Uncle Paul.
(c) A soldier from Andrew's unit.
(d) Andrew's father.
5. Why is Andrew having surgery?
(a) Repair his jaw.
(b) Repair his nose.
(c) Repair his damaged mouth.
(d) Remove the damaged skin from his torso.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Crayton visit Annie after school starts?
2. Why does Ruth come over to Annie's house the evening after Annie visits St. John's for a second time?
3. Why is there a conflict between Annie's parents now that Mrs. Metcalf has returned from her trip?
4. After Grandfather sends a letter about Uncle Paul's medals, what does Annie decide to do?
5. Before Grandfather goes on the trip with Grandmother and Annie's mother, why does Annie tell him not to worry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Andrew tell Annie that her Uncle was not killed at Belleau Wood?
2. Why was it so important to Annie that Uncle Paul had listened to her?
3. How do Annie and Emily put their differences behind them after Grandfather's heart attack?
4. When Annie learns her mother has returned, why do you think Andrew tells Annie to be "Gallant under fire"?
5. Why doesn't Annie go to Colorado?
6. The evening Annie and her father visit St. John's in the evening, what makes Annie's father realize how much she has grown since he has been gone?
7. Grandfather visits St. John's for the first time since his heart attack. Why does Annie's mother drive Annie and Grandfather to St. John's?
8. Why does Annie run when she learn how Uncle Paul died?
9. Why doesn't starting high school scare Annie?
10. Do you think Annie was right to disobey her mother and visit St. John's again?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)