|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Armistice Day approaches, what bothers Annie about the war memorial?
(a) That Andrew will not get to see the memorial completed.
(b) That it is so expensive.
(c) That Uncle Paul's name will not be on it.
(d) That Uncle Paul's name will be on it even though he did not die a hero.
2. After Annie's mother leaves on the trip with her grandparents, why is Annie nervous about telling her father she wants to go to St. John's?
(a) She is afraid he will not want her to visit.
(b) She is afraid he will not want her going to St. John's by herself.
(c) She is afraid that her mother told him that Annie is not allowed to visit.
(d) She is afraid that he will think she does not have time to visit.
3. Why do Annie and her father visit St. John's in the evening a couple days after Grandfather writes Annie?
(a) Annie's father has to care for a dying patient.
(b) To talk with Andrew.
(c) There is an emergency at the hospital.
(d) To visit Timothy.
4. How was Andrew injured?
(a) He was in a building that exploded.
(b) The gas tank of the vehicle he was riding was in exploded.
(c) A grenade was thrown into the trench where he waited.
(d) He lost his gas mask and couldn't protect himself from an attack of mustard gas.
5. According to Annie, what did Uncle Paul earn for his service in the Army?
(a) A commendation.
(b) A Purple Heart.
(c) Medals for courage.
(d) An Iron Cross.
Short Answer Questions
1. What medal did Andrew receive?
2. What do Annie and her mother do when they get home after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
3. Why doesn't Andrew's father visit him?
4. Why does Ruth come over to Annie's house the evening after Annie visits St. John's for a second time?
5. Annie is back in school now. Where is Andrew going soon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Annie go to Colorado?
2. Grandfather visits St. John's for the first time since his heart attack. Why does Annie's mother drive Annie and Grandfather to St. John's?
3. Why does Annie run when she learn how Uncle Paul died?
4. When Annie learns her mother has returned, why do you think Andrew tells Annie to be "Gallant under fire"?
5. Why do you think Henry Cook told Annie to stop asking questions about her uncle's death?
6. Why are Dr. and Mrs. Metcalf angry when they discuss Annie's visits to St. John's?
7. Why was Ruth so pleased about the dinner invitation?
8. Grandfather has had a heart attack. How is Grandfather doing and what is the plan to help him get well?
9. Why doesn't Annie spend much time reading to Timothy now that he can see again?
10. Why do you think it is so important to Annie that Uncle Paul get a Purple Heart?
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)