|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Uncle Paul die, according to Lieutenant McFarland?
(a) Argonne Woods.
(b) Passchendaele Ridge.
(c) Belleau Woods.
2. What does Andrew appreciate about Annie?
(a) Her ability to play the piano.
(b) That she is his friend and doesn't look away when she sees him.
(c) That she bakes delicious cookies.
(d) That she visits daily.
3. On Annie's third visit to St. John's, who do Annie and Andrew talk about?
(a) Annie's grandfather.
(b) Annie's mother.
(c) Uncle Paul.
4. What does Grandfather say in his letter about Uncle Paul's medals?
(a) Uncle Paul received a Good Conduct Medal.
(b) Uncle Paul received a Purple Heart.
(c) Uncle Paul did not receive a Purple Heart.
(d) Uncle Paul received a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart.
5. Why does Annie's mother not want Annie to visit St. John's for a third time?
(a) She does not want Annie exposed to all the ugliness.
(b) She doesn't think Annie will be able to get all her chores done.
(c) Because Annie needs to go to Bible School.
(d) Because Annie is supposed to be helping Grandmother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Annie's days a flurry of activity now that her mother has been gone for awhile?
2. Before Grandfather goes on the trip with Grandmother and Annie's mother, why does Annie tell him not to worry?
3. According to Annie, what did Uncle Paul earn for his service in the Army?
4. Annie is allowed to visit St. John's again, but now Andrew is busy. What is Andrew doing at the hospital that keeps him busy?
5. What do Annie and her mother do when they get home after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Andrew's father refuse to visit?
2. Do you think Annie was right to disobey her mother and visit St. John's again?
3. Why doesn't starting high school scare Annie?
4. Why does Annie run when she learn how Uncle Paul died?
5. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, how does Ruth help her understand her mother better?
6. When Annie learns her mother has returned, why do you think Andrew tells Annie to be "Gallant under fire"?
7. Why doesn't Annie spend much time reading to Timothy now that he can see again?
8. Why was it so important to Annie that Uncle Paul had listened to her?
9. Why do you think it is so important to Annie that Uncle Paul get a Purple Heart?
10. In Chapter 18, why does Annie feel like she might lose control?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)