|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Annie visit the hospital a few days after she receives Grandfather's letter?
(a) Andrew asked her not to visit.
(b) She has to see Ruth at the library.
(c) Her father told her to stay home.
(d) Andrew is having medical tests.
2. What is the setting in Chapters 13 and 14?
(a) Annie's home and St. John's hospital.
(c) The park.
(d) Annie's grandparents' house.
3. What does Annie do each day now that her mother has been gone for a few days?
(a) Go to the library to see Ruth.
(b) Visit St. John's to see Andrew and help the nuns.
(c) Visit friends.
(d) Play the piano.
4. Why didn't Andrew enjoy going to school when he was a boy?
(a) He didn't like sitting still.
(b) He got bad grades.
(c) He didn't like his teachers.
(d) His best friend went to a different school.
5. How does Annie feel about staying home and not going on a trip with Mother and her grandparents?
(a) She is pleased.
(b) She is sad.
(c) She is lonely.
(d) She is angry that she was not allowed to go.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Andrew tell Annie after talking to a soldier who served with Uncle Paul?
2. When and where did Uncle Paul die?
3. The evening that Annie and her father go back to St. John's, what does Andrew promise to do for Annie?
4. Although Annie is busy this summer and enjoying herself, why does she have times when she feels guilty?
5. What bothers Andrew about the special celebration to be held on Armistice Day?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lieutenant McFarland describe Uncle Paul and his death?
2. Why does Andrew tell Annie that her Uncle was not killed at Belleau Wood?
3. What does Annie realize about her mother and the war?
4. Why was Ruth so pleased about the dinner invitation?
5. Annie's father is called out to St. John's one evening. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's, Andrew kisses her goodbye. How did Andrew's kiss affect Annie?
6. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, how does Ruth help her understand her mother better?
7. When Annie learns her mother has returned, why do you think Andrew tells Annie to be "Gallant under fire"?
8. Why doesn't Annie go to Colorado?
9. Why are Dr. and Mrs. Metcalf angry when they discuss Annie's visits to St. John's?
10. Why was it so important to Annie that Uncle Paul had listened to her?
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)