|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the date of Uncle Paul's death in question?
(a) The war was over before that date.
(b) Andrew doesn't think there was front line fighting that day.
(c) The telegram the family received has a different date than the date on the death certificate.
(d) There was no fighting in France in June.
2. Why, over the course of the summer, has Andrew's condition improved?
(a) The doctors are finding better ways to treat his condition.
(b) The camaraderie of his fellow soldiers is helping him to have a more positive attitude.
(c) His friendship with Annie.
(d) His father visits daily.
3. After Grandfather sends a letter about Uncle Paul's medals, what does Annie decide to do?
(a) Learn more about Uncle Paul's death and the missing medal.
(b) Learn how Timothy was injured.
(c) Continue visting St. John's.
(d) Learn more about Andrew's service record.
4. What will be done for Timothy's condition soon?
(a) He will have an operation.
(b) He will learn Braille.
(c) His bandages will be removed.
(d) The doctors will use a new salve on his eyes.
5. After arguing with her mother about St. John's, Annie goes to her room to think. What interrupts Annie's thoughts?
(a) Her grandmother comes over.
(b) Her father comes home.
(c) Her mother asks her to listen to a new piece of music.
(d) Her mother's voice and noises in the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Ruth, why did Andrew, Uncle Paul, and other young men enlist in the war?
2. Why is Annie happy when she goes home the evening that she and Father go to St. John's?
3. What do Annie and her mother do when they get home after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
4. Why doesn't Annie's mother wish to discuss the war or its aftermath?
5. What is the setting in Chapters 13 and 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Annie learns her mother has returned, why do you think Andrew tells Annie to be "Gallant under fire"?
2. The evening Annie and her father visit St. John's in the evening, what makes Annie's father realize how much she has grown since he has been gone?
3. Why was Ruth so pleased about the dinner invitation?
4. What does Annie realize about her mother and the war?
5. Annie's father is called out to St. John's one evening. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's, Andrew kisses her goodbye. How did Andrew's kiss affect Annie?
6. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, how does Ruth help her understand her mother better?
7. Do you think Annie was right to disobey her mother and visit St. John's again?
8. How do Annie and Emily put their differences behind them after Grandfather's heart attack?
9. How was Andrew injured?
10. Why are Dr. and Mrs. Metcalf angry when they discuss Annie's visits to St. John's?
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)