|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Annie's father learn how Uncle Paul died?
(a) Annie tells him.
(b) Andrew tells him.
(c) Grandfather tells him.
(d) Timothy tells him.
2. What will be done for Timothy's condition soon?
(a) The doctors will use a new salve on his eyes.
(b) He will learn Braille.
(c) He will have an operation.
(d) His bandages will be removed.
3. Annie is allowed to visit St. John's again, but now Andrew is busy. What is Andrew doing at the hospital that keeps him busy?
(a) Doing physical therapy with some of the patients.
(b) Playing baseball.
(c) Custodial work.
(d) Yard work.
4. The day after receiving Grandfather's letter, who does Annie meet at the hospital?
(a) Mrs. Crayton, Andrew's mother.
(b) Mrs. Lewis, Timothy's mother.
(c) Andrew's siblings.
(d) Mr. Lewis, Timothy's father.
5. Why doesn't Annie visit the hospital a few days after she receives Grandfather's letter?
(a) Andrew is having medical tests.
(b) Her father told her to stay home.
(c) She has to see Ruth at the library.
(d) Andrew asked her not to visit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annie do with her newfound freedom while her mother and her grandparents are gone on their trip?
2. As Armistice Day approaches, what bothers Annie about the war memorial?
3. What does Andrew appreciate about Annie?
4. How will Annie find out if the surgery is a success?
5. Why is there a conflict between Annie's parents now that Mrs. Metcalf has returned from her trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lieutenant McFarland describe Uncle Paul and his death?
2. Annie's father is called out to St. John's one evening. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's, Andrew kisses her goodbye. How did Andrew's kiss affect Annie?
3. Why do you think Henry Cook told Annie to stop asking questions about her uncle's death?
4. How do Annie and Emily put their differences behind them after Grandfather's heart attack?
5. Why does Andrew's father refuse to visit?
6. Why doesn't Annie go to Colorado?
7. What does Annie realize about her mother and the war?
8. Why does Andrew tell Annie that her Uncle was not killed at Belleau Wood?
9. Why doesn't starting high school scare Annie?
10. Why does Annie run when she learn how Uncle Paul died?
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)