|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Andrew injured?
(a) He lost his gas mask and couldn't protect himself from an attack of mustard gas.
(b) He was in a building that exploded.
(c) The gas tank of the vehicle he was riding was in exploded.
(d) A grenade was thrown into the trench where he waited.
2. Where is Andrew's home?
(a) A house near Annie's neighborhood.
(b) Near Aunt Felicia's house.
(c) A farm in a nearby town.
(d) An apartment building downtown.
3. What reunites Annie and her mother after their argument when Annie's mother returned from her trip?
(a) Annie's grandmother talks to both of them and helps them mend their differences.
(b) Annie's mother allowing her to visit the hospital again.
(c) Learning how Uncle Paul died.
(d) Annie plants rose bushes to replace the ones she ruined.
4. On her third visit to St. John's, why does Annie try to apologize to Andrew?
(a) Because she ran away the first day she met him.
(b) Because she forgot to bring cookies.
(c) Because her mother was so rude.
(d) Because she didn't bring anything to read to him.
5. What do Annie and her mother do when they get home after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
(a) Annie's mother plays the piano and Annie sings.
(b) Eat supper silently.
(c) They talk to Annie's grandmother.
(d) Read together.
Short Answer Questions
1. On Annie's third visit to St. John's, who do Annie and Andrew talk about?
2. Although Annie is busy this summer and enjoying herself, why does she have times when she feels guilty?
3. What happens the evening after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
4. On Annie's third visit to St. John's, how does Andrew respond when Annie attempts to apologize?
5. What does Andrew appreciate about Annie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Annie run when she learn how Uncle Paul died?
2. How did Lieutenant McFarland describe Uncle Paul and his death?
3. What do Mrs. Metcalf and Annie find unfair about everything that has happened concerning Uncle Paul's death and how he died?
4. Why doesn't starting high school scare Annie?
5. When Annie learns her mother has returned, why do you think Andrew tells Annie to be "Gallant under fire"?
6. How do Annie and Emily put their differences behind them after Grandfather's heart attack?
7. What does Annie realize about her mother and the war?
8. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, how does Ruth help her understand her mother better?
9. Why was it so important to Annie that Uncle Paul had listened to her?
10. What does Annie find when she looks for Uncle Paul's Purple Heart?
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)