|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The day after receiving Grandfather's letter, who does Annie meet at the hospital?
(a) Andrew's siblings.
(b) Mrs. Lewis, Timothy's mother.
(c) Mr. Lewis, Timothy's father.
(d) Mrs. Crayton, Andrew's mother.
2. Why can't Annie hide the fact that she's been visiting St. John's from her mother any longer?
(a) Her mother is home.
(b) Someone calls her mother and tells her that Annie has been at the hospital.
(c) A neighbor tells Annie's mother that Annie has been at the hospital.
(d) Annie's father informs her mother that Annie has been at the hospital.
3. Where do Annie's mother and her Uncle John go the evening after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
(a) To the hospital.
(b) To the library.
(c) To Annie's grandparents' home.
(d) To find Annie's father.
4. Why is there a conflict between Annie's parents now that Mrs. Metcalf has returned from her trip?
(a) That Annie didn't attend Sunday School while her mother was gone.
(b) That Annie didn't keep up with the household chores while her mother was gone.
(c) That Annie's father allowed her to visit the hospital daily.
(d) That Annie's father still refuses to work at the county hospital.
5. About a week after Andrew's surgery, Annie goes to St. John's earlier than usual. What good news does she hear?
(a) There is a new treatment for Andrew's injuries.
(b) Timothy has regained his sight.
(c) Annie has a job working at the library.
(d) Annie has been asked to volunteer at the hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. It is almost time for Annie's mother to return home. What season of the year is ending?
2. Why is Annie happy when she goes home the evening that she and Father go to St. John's?
3. What medal did Andrew receive?
4. Who does Annie's mother invite to dinner before Andrew leaves?
5. What do Annie and her mother do when they get home after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Mrs. Metcalf and Annie find unfair about everything that has happened concerning Uncle Paul's death and how he died?
2. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, how does Ruth help her understand her mother better?
3. Why does Andrew tell Annie that her Uncle was not killed at Belleau Wood?
4. What does Annie find when she looks for Uncle Paul's Purple Heart?
5. Why does Andrew need to go away soon?
6. Why does Annie run when she learn how Uncle Paul died?
7. Why doesn't starting high school scare Annie?
8. Why does Andrew's father refuse to visit?
9. Why was Ruth so pleased about the dinner invitation?
10. Why was it so important to Annie that Uncle Paul had listened to her?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)