|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Annie do with her newfound freedom while her mother and her grandparents are gone on their trip?
(a) She goes back to Bible School.
(b) She goes to the library.
(c) She invites friends over to her house.
(d) She does chores and visits St. John's.
2. The day after receiving Grandfather's letter, who does Annie meet at the hospital?
(a) Mrs. Lewis, Timothy's mother.
(b) Mrs. Crayton, Andrew's mother.
(c) Mr. Lewis, Timothy's father.
(d) Andrew's siblings.
3. On Annie's third visit to St. John's, how does Andrew respond when Annie attempts to apologize?
(a) He gets angry.
(b) He tells her not to worry about what happened.
(c) He dismisses her apology.
(d) He struggles to hold back tears.
4. What does Grandfather say in his letter about Uncle Paul's medals?
(a) Uncle Paul did not receive a Purple Heart.
(b) Uncle Paul received a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart.
(c) Uncle Paul received a Purple Heart.
(d) Uncle Paul received a Good Conduct Medal.
5. How does Annie's father learn how Uncle Paul died?
(a) Andrew tells him.
(b) Grandfather tells him.
(c) Timothy tells him.
(d) Annie tells him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Annie's mother invite to dinner before Andrew leaves?
2. What bothers Andrew about the special celebration to be held on Armistice Day?
3. After arguing with her mother about St. John's, Annie goes to her room to think. What interrupts Annie's thoughts?
4. What does Andrew tell Annie after talking to a soldier who served with Uncle Paul?
5. What does Annie do each day now that her mother has been gone for a few days?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Annie was right to disobey her mother and visit St. John's again?
2. Why does Andrew tell Annie that her Uncle was not killed at Belleau Wood?
3. Why do you think Henry Cook told Annie to stop asking questions about her uncle's death?
4. Why do you think it is so important to Annie that Uncle Paul get a Purple Heart?
5. Why does Annie run when she learn how Uncle Paul died?
6. Why are Dr. and Mrs. Metcalf angry when they discuss Annie's visits to St. John's?
7. How was Andrew injured?
8. Grandfather has had a heart attack. How is Grandfather doing and what is the plan to help him get well?
9. Annie's father is called out to St. John's one evening. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's, Andrew kisses her goodbye. How did Andrew's kiss affect Annie?
10. Why was it so important to Annie that Uncle Paul had listened to her?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)