|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Annie enjoy her grandmother's home-cooked meals?
(a) Because her grandmother teaches her to cook.
(b) Annie's grandmother always bakes a special dessert.
(c) Annie's grandmother always prepares her favorite dishes.
(d) Annie's mother has no real interest or talent for cooking.
2. Why does Annie spend a lot of time alone now that it is summer?
(a) Her interests are changing and she is growing away from her neighborhood friends.
(b) Annie's best friends have moved away.
(c) Her neighborhood friends are too busy to spend time with her.
(d) Annie has too many chores to do.
3. Grandfather and Dr. Metcalf are out walking the morning after Dr. Metcalf's return. Why does Grandfather tell Dr. Metcalf he is a brave man?
(a) Because Dr. Metcalf said no to a dinner party Mrs. Metcalf wished to have.
(b) Dr. Metcalf has accepted a job that Mrs. Metcalf does not approve of.
(c) Dr. Metcalf did not buy Mrs. Metcalf a gift when he came home.
(d) Dr. Metcalf is buying another car.
4. What are Annie's favorite summer activities?
(a) Playing the piano.
(b) Reading and visiting the library.
(c) Playing checkers with her grandfather.
(d) Taking long walks.
5. On Annie's second visit to St. John's, why does Annie go find her father?
(a) To tell him she met the severely burned patient.
(b) To tell him that Grandfather is not feeling well.
(c) To ask him to take her home.
(d) She hadn't seen him since yesterday and wanted to talk with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Sunday School class go next?
2. Who takes Annie to St. John's the first time she visits?
3. What do Mrs. Metcalf and her first group of friends like to do?
4. When Annie visits St. John's again, what does she bring to share?
5. After Dr. Metcalf arrives on the train, who drives home from the station?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the two groups of soldiers that get off the train when Dr. Metcalf arrives.
2. What are Annie's activities when summer comes?
3. Describe Annie's thoughts when the boy delivered the telegram telling them that Uncle Paul had died.
4. How were many soldiers burned?
5. How did Annie and her mother get along while Dr. Metcalf was gone?
6. Describe Annie's feelings as she goes to meet her father at the train station.
7. Why do you think Andrew wants to see pictures of France?
8. Describe the soldier Annie meets at the hospital during her first visit to St. John's.
9. In Chapter 10, why is Annie angry with her mother?
10. Who is Timothy Lewis?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)