|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the Metcalfs need to shop for clothes the day after Dr. Metcalf returns home?
(a) Dr. Metcalf needs more uniforms for work.
(b) Dr. Metcalf has gained weight.
(c) Dr. Metcalf has lost weight.
(d) Dr. Metcalf's luggage got lost on the train.
2. What do Annie and her Sunday School class see on their outing?
(a) Wounded soldiers.
(b) Clowns juggling.
(c) Broken Blossom, a movie starring Lillian Gish.
(d) Annie's pets.
3. The next morning after father's return, what does Annie wish to discuss with her mother?
(a) If she can wear her new dress.
(b) What happened to Uncle Paul.
(c) The wounded men at the train station.
(d) If she can go to her grandparents' house.
4. What does Annie's father want to discuss after dinner the day Annie visits St. John's for the first time?
(a) Whether she will go back to visit.
(b) Why she ran away.
(c) What was her favorite part of her visit.
(d) About her experience at St. John's.
5. Where did Annie's father serve during the war?
(c) Kansas City.
(d) New York City.
Short Answer Questions
1. Annie is meeting her father at the station. Who else would Annie like to be meeting at the train station?
2. Annie runs away from one of the patients on her first visit to St. John's. Why does she go back?
3. What do Mrs. Metcalf and her first group of friends like to do?
4. Who are Mrs. Metcalf's second group of friends?
5. When does Chapter 3 take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Andrew wants to see pictures of France?
2. Why did Uncle Paul visit Annie's mother frequently?
3. In Chapter 10, why is Annie angry with her mother?
4. How do Annie, her family, and Ruth feel about the new war monument?
5. Describe Annie's feelings as she goes to meet her father at the train station.
6. How did Annie's grandparents react when they learned that Uncle Paul had died?
7. Why does Annie become angry with Miss Peterson and Emily?
8. Describe Annie's thoughts when the boy delivered the telegram telling them that Uncle Paul had died.
9. What keeps Mrs. Metcalf so busy that Annie has learned to play alone or to spend time at her grandparents' home?
10. Why, if the war ended last year, does the newspaper run an article about a peace treaty?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)