|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the Metcalfs need to shop for clothes the day after Dr. Metcalf returns home?
(a) Dr. Metcalf needs more uniforms for work.
(b) Dr. Metcalf has lost weight.
(c) Dr. Metcalf has gained weight.
(d) Dr. Metcalf's luggage got lost on the train.
2. The newspaper is on the steps when Annie returns home from the Sunday School outing. What is the front page headline?
(a) President Wilson to Visit Kansas City.
(b) World Peace Signed and Sealed at Versailles.
(c) War Monument Donations at 90%.
(d) Vice President Marshall to Visit Kansas City.
3. Why doesn't Annie enjoy the fireworks on the Fourth of July?
(a) She doesn't have a good view of the fireworks.
(b) She doesn't like the noise the fireworks make.
(c) She dreads the visit she will make with her grandfather to St. John's.
(d) The fireworks are not as spectacular as usual.
4. What happens when Uncle Paul visits one evening and Mrs. Metcalf is gone?
(a) He goes back home.
(b) He and Annie go for a walk in the park.
(c) He takes Annie to get ice cream.
(d) He and Annie go for a ride on his motorcycle.
5. Why does Annie sometimes feel shut out of her mother's life?
(a) Her mother's frequent illnesses.
(b) Her mother is rarely home.
(c) Her mother's two groups of friends.
(d) Her mother's volunteer work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Mayor's announcement on the Fourth of July?
2. How has Annie's grandmother changed since Uncle Paul died?
3. Who takes Annie to St. John's the first time she visits?
4. On the way home from the train station, what day does Annie remember?
5. What does Annie's father want to discuss after dinner the day Annie visits St. John's for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Annie and her parents got home, why did Annie not run and hug her father like her cousins did?
2. How do Annie, her family, and Ruth feel about the new war monument?
3. Describe Annie's thoughts when the boy delivered the telegram telling them that Uncle Paul had died.
4. Why, if the war ended last year, does the newspaper run an article about a peace treaty?
5. What two events drew Annie and her Uncle Paul closer together? Why?
6. What are Annie's activities when summer comes?
7. Why do you think Andrew wants to see pictures of France?
8. Describe the soldier Annie meets at the hospital during her first visit to St. John's.
9. Why do you think Annie decides to go back to St. John's?
10. What is Bible School?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)