|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Annie and her Sunday School class see on their outing?
(a) Broken Blossom, a movie starring Lillian Gish.
(b) Wounded soldiers.
(c) Clowns juggling.
(d) Annie's pets.
2. How do Annie and her grandfather get to St. John's when Annie returns for a second visit?
(a) On the trolley.
(b) Annie's father takes them.
(c) Grandfather drives his car.
(d) They walk.
3. When Annie and Mrs. Metcalf talk over breakfast the day after Dr. Metcalf returns home, what does Annie's mother say about what they saw at the train station?
(a) She listens to Annie and explains what was happening.
(b) She refuses to discuss the subject.
(c) She sends Annie to her room.
(d) She tells Annie to ask her father about the topic.
4. In Chapter 9, who says "I hope I never have to go out there. From what I hear, those fellows aren't very pretty"?
(a) The conductor on the trolley.
(b) Miss Peterson.
5. How were most of the burned soldiers injured?
(b) A bomb.
(c) Exploding gas tanks.
(d) Mustard gas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Annie doing when she learned that her uncle died?
2. Why does Annie sometimes feel shut out of her mother's life?
3. When does Chapter 3 take place?
4. Why is Annie concerned about her grandfather as they begin the journey to go to St. John's for a second time?
5. How many siblings does Annie have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Annie's feelings as she goes to meet her father at the train station.
2. Describe Annie's thoughts when the boy delivered the telegram telling them that Uncle Paul had died.
3. What are Annie's activities when summer comes?
4. When Annie and her parents got home, why did Annie not run and hug her father like her cousins did?
5. Why is Annie so disturbed when Father and Grandfather look at Uncle Paul's motorcycle?
6. Why do you think Andrew wants to see pictures of France?
7. What keeps Mrs. Metcalf so busy that Annie has learned to play alone or to spend time at her grandparents' home?
8. Why does Annie become angry with Miss Peterson and Emily?
9. Why did Uncle Paul visit Annie's mother frequently?
10. How do Annie, her family, and Ruth feel about the new war monument?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)