Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are Frances and Charlie?
(a) Annie's friends from the neighborhood.
(b) Uncle Paul's children.
(c) Annie's cousins.
(d) The dog and cat.
2. Annie runs away from one of the patients on her first visit to St. John's. Why does she go back?
(a) She drops her book and goes back to get it.
(b) She thinks of something she would like to ask the soldier.
(c) She tells her grandfather and he asks her to go back.
(d) Her father asks her to go back.
3. After their first dinner together with father and their guests leave, what do the Metcalfs do together?
(a) Go to bed.
(b) Take a walk around the neighborhood.
(c) Annie and her father sit on the sofa while her mother plays the piano.
(d) Fix a snack.
4. Why doesn't Annie enjoy the fireworks on the Fourth of July?
(a) She doesn't have a good view of the fireworks.
(b) The fireworks are not as spectacular as usual.
(c) She doesn't like the noise the fireworks make.
(d) She dreads the visit she will make with her grandfather to St. John's.
5. Which army used the agent that injured the soldiers?
(a) The French army.
(b) Both armies.
(c) The German army.
(d) The American army.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the mayor's big announcement on the Fourth of July, why don't Father and Ruth want to see the plans?
2. On the way home from her first visit to St. John's, why is Annie glad that Grandfather and Father are ignoring her?
3. After Dr. Metcalf arrives on the train, who drives home from the station?
4. What happens when Uncle Paul visits one evening and Mrs. Metcalf is gone?
5. Why do the Metcalfs need to shop for clothes the day after Dr. Metcalf returns home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Annie and Emily put their differences behind them after Grandfather's heart attack?
2. In Chapter 18, why does Annie feel like she might lose control?
3. When Annie and her parents got home, why did Annie not run and hug her father like her cousins did?
4. Why does Annie have to help her Grandfather get off the trolley when she visits St. John's for a second time?
5. Why do you think Andrew gave Annie his Purple Heart?
6. What do Mrs. Metcalf and Annie find unfair about everything that has happened concerning Uncle Paul's death and how he died?
7. How were many soldiers burned?
8. Do you think Annie was right to disobey her mother and visit St. John's again?
9. Describe the two groups of soldiers that get off the train when Dr. Metcalf arrives.
10. How was Andrew injured?
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)