|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The first time Annie visits the hospital, who gives her a tour?
(a) Her grandfather.
(b) No one.
(c) One of the nuns.
(d) Her father.
2. Where does Annie's father work?
(a) St. John's Veterans Hospital.
(b) Kansas City Memorial Hospital.
(c) His own private practice.
(d) County Hospital.
3. Why is Annie nervous about seeing her father again?
(a) She is afraid that she will be in trouble for things she did while he was gone.
(b) She is afraid he won't recognize her.
(c) She is afraid that he will be changed by the war.
(d) She is afraid that he doesn't love her mother anymore.
4. When Annie returns from the Sunday School outing, what does she tell her parents?
(a) That she doesn't want to attend Sunday School this summer.
(b) That she wants to visit the hospital again.
(c) That she wants a friend to come over.
(d) That she wants to cook the family's meals this summer.
5. What is the Mayor's announcement on the Fourth of July?
(a) They need volunteers to visit injured soldiers.
(b) The city is buying a fire engine.
(c) A monument will be built to honor the soliders.
(d) The fireworks will begin after dark.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wounded soldiers arrive on the same train with Dr. Metcalf. Where are they going?
2. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, who comes to take her home?
3. Who are Frances and Charlie?
4. Why is Annie concerned about her grandfather as they begin the journey to go to St. John's for a second time?
5. How do Annie and her grandfather get to St. John's when Annie returns for a second visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two events drew Annie and her Uncle Paul closer together? Why?
2. In Chapter 3, why is Annie almost glad that her father is up and gone when she gets up in the morning?
3. Who is Timothy Lewis?
4. Why doesn't Annie's mother want her to visit St. John's?
5. Why does Annie think she knows how much her mother missed Dr. Metcalf?
6. Describe the soldier Annie meets at the hospital during her first visit to St. John's.
7. How did Annie's grandparents react when they learned that Uncle Paul had died?
8. How do Annie, her family, and Ruth feel about the new war monument?
9. Why, if the war ended last year, does the newspaper run an article about a peace treaty?
10. Why did Uncle Paul visit Annie's mother frequently?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)