|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Uncle Paul invite Annie to go with him on one night in June?
(a) A Shakespearean play.
(b) The opera.
(c) A musical.
(d) A movie.
2. How will Annie spend her time this summer?
(a) Bible School.
(b) At Miss Peterson's house.
(c) Visting the hospital with Miss Peterson.
(d) Some place other than Bible School.
3. Why do the Metcalfs need to shop for clothes the day after Dr. Metcalf returns home?
(a) Dr. Metcalf needs more uniforms for work.
(b) Dr. Metcalf's luggage got lost on the train.
(c) Dr. Metcalf has gained weight.
(d) Dr. Metcalf has lost weight.
4. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, who comes to take her home?
(a) Annie's father.
(b) Miss Peterson.
(c) Annie's mother.
(d) Annie's grandmother.
5. What do Mrs. Metcalf and her first group of friends like to do?
(a) Persuade other women to volunteer to help wounded soldiers.
(b) Discuss books they've read.
(c) Bake elaborate desserts.
(d) Work for women's rights and other political and social issues.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Annie and her grandfather get to St. John's when Annie returns for a second visit?
2. What happens when Uncle Paul visits one evening and Mrs. Metcalf is gone?
3. After Dr. Metcalf arrives on the train, who drives home from the station?
4. What does Annie do when her mother is working or playing the piano?
5. What book is Grandfather reading to the soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 18, why does Annie feel like she might lose control?
2. How does Annie feel about her visit to St. John's?
3. Grandfather has had a heart attack. How is Grandfather doing and what is the plan to help him get well?
4. Why doesn't starting high school scare Annie?
5. Why do you think Andrew wants to see pictures of France?
6. How did Lieutenant McFarland describe Uncle Paul and his death?
7. Why do you think Andrew gave Annie his Purple Heart?
8. When Annie learns her mother has returned, why do you think Andrew tells Annie to be "Gallant under fire"?
9. Why are Dr. and Mrs. Metcalf angry when they discuss Annie's visits to St. John's?
10. Why do you think Henry Cook told Annie to stop asking questions about her uncle's death?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)