|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Annie so interested in the things that Ruth shows her?
(a) She enjoys poetry.
(b) She wants to know more about the war.
(c) She is fascinated by foreign-sounding names and exotic places that she might visit.
(d) She loves to read.
2. How did Annie and her mother get along while her father was gone?
(a) They argued constantly.
(b) They were civil, but did not have a close relationship.
(c) They grew closer together.
(d) They went their separate ways.
3. Annie runs away from one of the patients on her first visit to St. John's. Why does she go back?
(a) Her father asks her to go back.
(b) She drops her book and goes back to get it.
(c) She tells her grandfather and he asks her to go back.
(d) She thinks of something she would like to ask the soldier.
4. What does Annie's father want to discuss after dinner the day Annie visits St. John's for the first time?
(a) About her experience at St. John's.
(b) Why she ran away.
(c) What was her favorite part of her visit.
(d) Whether she will go back to visit.
5. Why does Annie enjoy her grandmother's home-cooked meals?
(a) Annie's grandmother always prepares her favorite dishes.
(b) Annie's grandmother always bakes a special dessert.
(c) Because her grandmother teaches her to cook.
(d) Annie's mother has no real interest or talent for cooking.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Annie visits St. John's again, what does she bring to share?
2. What incident do Annie and her father discuss regarding her first visit to the hospital?
3. Why, on her first visit to St. John's, does Annie run away when she meets a patient?
4. What is the Mayor's announcement on the Fourth of July?
5. Where does Annie live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Annie have to help her Grandfather get off the trolley when she visits St. John's for a second time?
2. Why does Annie become angry with Miss Peterson and Emily?
3. Why doesn't Annie's mother want her to visit St. John's?
4. How were many soldiers burned?
5. Why is Annie so disturbed when Father and Grandfather look at Uncle Paul's motorcycle?
6. Why does Annie wish to visit St. John's?
7. Who is Timothy Lewis?
8. Why did Uncle Paul visit Annie's mother frequently?
9. In Chapter 3, why is Annie almost glad that her father is up and gone when she gets up in the morning?
10. What keeps Mrs. Metcalf so busy that Annie has learned to play alone or to spend time at her grandparents' home?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)