|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Miss Peterson makes insensitive comments during the Sunday School class outing, who does Annie defend?
(a) The employees where they are eating.
(b) The injured men and her father.
(c) The kids who spilled food on the floor.
(d) Her Sunday School class.
2. What do Annie and her grandfather discuss when they play checkers?
(a) Annie's father.
(b) What Annie would like to do when she grows up.
(c) Uncle Paul.
(d) His experiences visiting the soldiers at St. John's.
3. Grandfather and Dr. Metcalf are out walking the morning after Dr. Metcalf's return. Why does Grandfather tell Dr. Metcalf he is a brave man?
(a) Dr. Metcalf has accepted a job that Mrs. Metcalf does not approve of.
(b) Dr. Metcalf did not buy Mrs. Metcalf a gift when he came home.
(c) Because Dr. Metcalf said no to a dinner party Mrs. Metcalf wished to have.
(d) Dr. Metcalf is buying another car.
4. Why is Annie nervous about seeing her father again?
(a) She is afraid that she will be in trouble for things she did while he was gone.
(b) She is afraid that he doesn't love her mother anymore.
(c) She is afraid that he will be changed by the war.
(d) She is afraid he won't recognize her.
5. On Annie's second visit to St. John's, what does Annie discuss with one of the patients?
(a) Annie's father and how his work at the hospital.
(b) The terrible things he encountered when he was fighting in France.
(c) The patient's family.
(d) The weather.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Annie enjoy her grandmother's home-cooked meals?
2. Where is the first place that Annie goes with her Sunday School class?
3. Why is Annie so interested in the things that Ruth shows her?
4. Annie is meeting her father at the station. Who else would Annie like to be meeting at the train station?
5. What does Annie do when her mother is working or playing the piano?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two events drew Annie and her Uncle Paul closer together? Why?
2. Why does Annie wish to visit St. John's?
3. How does Annie feel about her visit to St. John's?
4. How were many soldiers burned?
5. Why, if the war ended last year, does the newspaper run an article about a peace treaty?
6. What keeps Mrs. Metcalf so busy that Annie has learned to play alone or to spend time at her grandparents' home?
7. Why do you think Annie decides to go back to St. John's?
8. Describe the two groups of soldiers that get off the train when Dr. Metcalf arrives.
9. In Chapter 3, why is Annie almost glad that her father is up and gone when she gets up in the morning?
10. Describe the soldier Annie meets at the hospital during her first visit to St. John's.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)