|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Annie and Mrs. Metcalf talk over breakfast the day after Dr. Metcalf returns home, what does Annie's mother say about what they saw at the train station?
(a) She refuses to discuss the subject.
(b) She listens to Annie and explains what was happening.
(c) She sends Annie to her room.
(d) She tells Annie to ask her father about the topic.
2. Why is Annie's mother concerned about Annie's decision to do something different this summer?
(a) She doesn't think Annie can cook very well.
(b) She thinks Annie will be bored.
(c) She thinks Annie shouldn't visit the hospital.
(d) She thinks Annie's friend is a bad influence.
3. What happens when Uncle Paul visits one evening and Mrs. Metcalf is gone?
(a) He goes back home.
(b) He takes Annie to get ice cream.
(c) He and Annie go for a ride on his motorcycle.
(d) He and Annie go for a walk in the park.
4. What did Annie's father do during the war?
(a) Served as an army officer in Europe.
(b) Served as an ambulance driver.
(c) Served as an airplane pilot.
(d) Served as a physician treating wounded soldiers.
5. Who are Frances and Charlie?
(a) Annie's friends from the neighborhood.
(b) The dog and cat.
(c) Uncle Paul's children.
(d) Annie's cousins.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Andrew not say goodbye to Annie as she leaves after visiting the hospital for a second time?
2. Who takes Annie to St. John's the first time she visits?
3. Why, on her first visit to St. John's, does Annie run away when she meets a patient?
4. What does the family do after dinner in Chapter 2?
5. How will Annie spend her time this summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two events drew Annie and her Uncle Paul closer together? Why?
2. Why does Annie become angry with Miss Peterson and Emily?
3. Describe Dr. Metcalf's appearance the day after he returns home.
4. Why doesn't Annie's mother want her to visit St. John's?
5. In Chapter 3, why is Annie almost glad that her father is up and gone when she gets up in the morning?
6. How does Annie feel about her visit to St. John's?
7. Why does Annie have to help her Grandfather get off the trolley when she visits St. John's for a second time?
8. What keeps Mrs. Metcalf so busy that Annie has learned to play alone or to spend time at her grandparents' home?
9. Why is Annie so bothered by the wounded soldiers she saw at the train station?
10. Describe Ruth Sylvester.
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)