|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Annie and her grandfather get to St. John's when Annie returns for a second visit?
(a) They walk.
(b) On the trolley.
(c) Annie's father takes them.
(d) Grandfather drives his car.
2. Who are Mrs. Metcalf's first group of friends?
(a) Friends from the school she attended.
(b) Friends from church.
(c) Other volunteers who work with her.
(d) Women from the neighborhood.
3. On Annie's second visit to St. John's, why does Annie go find her father?
(a) To tell him she met the severely burned patient.
(b) To tell him that Grandfather is not feeling well.
(c) To ask him to take her home.
(d) She hadn't seen him since yesterday and wanted to talk with him.
4. How has Annie's grandmother changed since Uncle Paul died?
(a) Annie's grandmother used to sing all the time and be in a good mood.
(b) She has more time for charity work.
(c) She cleans the house more frequently.
(d) She cries frequently.
5. What do Annie and her grandfather discuss when they play checkers?
(a) What Annie would like to do when she grows up.
(b) Annie's father.
(c) His experiences visiting the soldiers at St. John's.
(d) Uncle Paul.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Annie's grandmother do when she heard that her son had died?
2. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's after her second visit, what behavior bothers her and her grandfather?
3. Grandfather and Dr. Metcalf are out walking the morning after Dr. Metcalf's return. Why does Grandfather tell Dr. Metcalf he is a brave man?
4. When Miss Peterson makes insensitive comments during the Sunday School class outing, who does Annie defend?
5. Where would Annie's mother prefer that Annie's father work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Annie think she knows how much her mother missed Dr. Metcalf?
2. Describe Ruth Sylvester.
3. Why does Annie wish to visit St. John's?
4. In Chapter 3, why is Annie almost glad that her father is up and gone when she gets up in the morning?
5. Describe Annie's thoughts when the boy delivered the telegram telling them that Uncle Paul had died.
6. How were many soldiers burned?
7. Why do you think Annie decides to go back to St. John's?
8. What keeps Mrs. Metcalf so busy that Annie has learned to play alone or to spend time at her grandparents' home?
9. How does Annie feel about her visit to St. John's?
10. Why, if the war ended last year, does the newspaper run an article about a peace treaty?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)