|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Mrs. Metcalf and her first group of friends like to do?
(a) Work for women's rights and other political and social issues.
(b) Bake elaborate desserts.
(c) Discuss books they've read.
(d) Persuade other women to volunteer to help wounded soldiers.
2. Where would Annie's mother prefer that Annie's father work?
(a) St. John's Veterans Hospital.
(b) County Hospital.
(c) His own private practice.
(d) Kansas City Memorial Hospital.
3. Why does Andrew not say goodbye to Annie as she leaves after visiting the hospital for a second time?
(a) He is upset by how rudely Mrs. Metcalf treated him.
(b) He does not want to see Annie leave.
(c) He did not realize she was leaving so soon.
(d) Someone has called him to come back inside.
4. What does Annie do when her mother is working or playing the piano?
(a) Writes in her journal.
(b) Visits her grandparents or plays alone.
(c) Plays with friends.
(d) Plays duets with her mother.
5. The next morning after father's return, what does Annie wish to discuss with her mother?
(a) If she can wear her new dress.
(b) The wounded men at the train station.
(c) If she can go to her grandparents' house.
(d) What happened to Uncle Paul.
Short Answer Questions
1. During Annie's second visit to St. John's, who do Annie and her grandfather meet?
2. Who are Mrs. Metcalf's second group of friends?
3. When Annie's grandfather visits St. John's, what does he do?
4. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's after her second visit, what behavior bothers her and her grandfather?
5. When Annie and Mrs. Metcalf talk over breakfast the day after Dr. Metcalf returns home, what does Annie's mother say about what they saw at the train station?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Andrew tell Annie that her Uncle was not killed at Belleau Wood?
2. Why do you think it is so important to Annie that Uncle Paul get a Purple Heart?
3. When Annie learns her mother has returned, why do you think Andrew tells Annie to be "Gallant under fire"?
4. Annie's father is called out to St. John's one evening. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's, Andrew kisses her goodbye. How did Andrew's kiss affect Annie?
5. Why doesn't Annie spend much time reading to Timothy now that he can see again?
6. How does Annie feel about her visit to St. John's?
7. How did Annie's grandparents react when they learned that Uncle Paul had died?
8. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, how does Ruth help her understand her mother better?
9. Why was it so important to Annie that Uncle Paul had listened to her?
10. How do Annie, her family, and Ruth feel about the new war monument?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)