|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Annie sometimes feel shut out of her mother's life?
(a) Her mother's volunteer work.
(b) Her mother is rarely home.
(c) Her mother's frequent illnesses.
(d) Her mother's two groups of friends.
2. Where would Annie's mother prefer that Annie's father work?
(a) Kansas City Memorial Hospital.
(b) His own private practice.
(c) County Hospital.
(d) St. John's Veterans Hospital.
3. Why do the Metcalfs need to shop for clothes the day after Dr. Metcalf returns home?
(a) Dr. Metcalf has lost weight.
(b) Dr. Metcalf has gained weight.
(c) Dr. Metcalf needs more uniforms for work.
(d) Dr. Metcalf's luggage got lost on the train.
4. After their first dinner together with father and their guests leave, what do the Metcalfs do together?
(a) Go to bed.
(b) Fix a snack.
(c) Take a walk around the neighborhood.
(d) Annie and her father sit on the sofa while her mother plays the piano.
5. What book is Grandfather reading to the soldiers?
(b) Leatherstocking Tales.
(d) The Last of the Mohicans.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Annie returns from the Sunday School outing, what does she tell her parents?
2. Where does Annie live?
3. What does Annie usually enjoy on the Fourth of July?
4. Who are Frances and Charlie?
5. In Chapter 9, who says "I hope I never have to go out there. From what I hear, those fellows aren't very pretty"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Annie and her mother get along while Dr. Metcalf was gone?
2. Why doesn't Annie's mother want her to visit St. John's?
3. Describe Annie's feelings as she goes to meet her father at the train station.
4. Why, if the war ended last year, does the newspaper run an article about a peace treaty?
5. How do Annie, her family, and Ruth feel about the new war monument?
6. What are Annie's activities when summer comes?
7. When Annie and her parents got home, why did Annie not run and hug her father like her cousins did?
8. How does Annie feel about her visit to St. John's?
9. In Chapter 10, why is Annie angry with her mother?
10. Describe the soldier Annie meets at the hospital during her first visit to St. John's.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)