|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Annie's father talk about in the evenings after work?
(a) The nuns who run St. John's and the wounded soldiers.
(b) Music, opera, and social issues.
(c) Uncle Paul.
(d) His experiences during the war.
2. Why does Annie's mother often leave the room when Annie's father talks about his work?
(a) She doesn't want to hear anything about the wounded soldiers.
(b) She has a piece of music to finish.
(c) She likes to read for a while before she retires for the evening.
(d) She's tired and goes to bed early.
3. When Miss Peterson makes insensitive comments during the Sunday School class outing, who does Annie defend?
(a) The kids who spilled food on the floor.
(b) The injured men and her father.
(c) The employees where they are eating.
(d) Her Sunday School class.
4. In Chapter 9, who says "I hope I never have to go out there. From what I hear, those fellows aren't very pretty"?
(a) Miss Peterson.
(c) The conductor on the trolley.
5. Why doesn't Annie enjoy the fireworks on the Fourth of July?
(a) She dreads the visit she will make with her grandfather to St. John's.
(b) She doesn't like the noise the fireworks make.
(c) She doesn't have a good view of the fireworks.
(d) The fireworks are not as spectacular as usual.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Annie and her grandfather get to St. John's when Annie returns for a second visit?
2. What does Annie's Sunday School teacher find disgusting?
3. Why does Annie spend a lot of time alone now that it is summer?
4. On Annie's second visit to St. John's, why does Annie go find her father?
5. Why is Annie concerned about her grandfather as they begin the journey to go to St. John's for a second time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Annie's feelings as she goes to meet her father at the train station.
2. What is Bible School?
3. In Chapter 10, why is Annie angry with her mother?
4. Why does Annie have to help her Grandfather get off the trolley when she visits St. John's for a second time?
5. How does Annie feel about her visit to St. John's?
6. Why does Annie think she knows how much her mother missed Dr. Metcalf?
7. What two events drew Annie and her Uncle Paul closer together? Why?
8. Why did Uncle Paul visit Annie's mother frequently?
9. In Chapter 3, why is Annie almost glad that her father is up and gone when she gets up in the morning?
10. Describe Dr. Metcalf's appearance the day after he returns home.
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)