|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Annie's father want to discuss after dinner the day Annie visits St. John's for the first time?
(a) Whether she will go back to visit.
(b) Why she ran away.
(c) About her experience at St. John's.
(d) What was her favorite part of her visit.
2. After the mayor's big announcement on the Fourth of July, why don't Father and Ruth want to see the plans?
(a) They have already seen the plans.
(b) They think too many people will come to the hospital.
(c) They think the monument will glorify the unnecessary loss of lives.
(d) They think the new fire engine is too expensive.
3. Why doesn't Annie enjoy the fireworks on the Fourth of July?
(a) She doesn't like the noise the fireworks make.
(b) She dreads the visit she will make with her grandfather to St. John's.
(c) She doesn't have a good view of the fireworks.
(d) The fireworks are not as spectacular as usual.
4. What does Annie usually enjoy on the Fourth of July?
(a) The cotton candy and the special circus performance.
(b) Spending the day with friends.
(c) Picnics with Grandmother's delicious food, the parade, and most of all the fireworks.
(d) Spending time with her cousins.
5. What book is Grandfather reading to the soldiers?
(a) The Last of the Mohicans.
(d) Leatherstocking Tales.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Annie's father do during the war?
2. Which army used the agent that injured the soldiers?
3. How will Annie spend her time this summer?
4. On Annie's second visit to St. John's, why does Annie go find her father?
5. While Annie waits for her father at the train station, what images does Annie keep seeing even though she closes her eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Annie become angry with Miss Peterson and Emily?
2. What is Bible School?
3. Why does Annie have to help her Grandfather get off the trolley when she visits St. John's for a second time?
4. What keeps Mrs. Metcalf so busy that Annie has learned to play alone or to spend time at her grandparents' home?
5. Why is Annie so disturbed when Father and Grandfather look at Uncle Paul's motorcycle?
6. How do Annie, her family, and Ruth feel about the new war monument?
7. Who is Timothy Lewis?
8. Describe the soldier Annie meets at the hospital during her first visit to St. John's.
9. Why is Annie so bothered by the wounded soldiers she saw at the train station?
10. Describe Dr. Metcalf's appearance the day after he returns home.
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)