|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How were most of the burned soldiers injured?
(b) Exploding gas tanks.
(c) A bomb.
(d) Mustard gas.
2. Wounded soldiers arrive on the same train with Dr. Metcalf. Where are they going?
(a) Kansas City Memorial Hospital.
(b) A convalescent home.
(c) St. John's Veterans Hospital.
(d) To their homes.
3. How does Annie celebrate the Fourth of July this summer?
(a) Watching the fireworks from their backyard.
(b) Visiting the hospital.
(c) Singing the national anthem with friends and neighbors.
(d) At a picnic in the park with her family and other families.
4. Why do the Metcalfs need to shop for clothes the day after Dr. Metcalf returns home?
(a) Dr. Metcalf needs more uniforms for work.
(b) Dr. Metcalf has lost weight.
(c) Dr. Metcalf's luggage got lost on the train.
(d) Dr. Metcalf has gained weight.
5. Why doesn't Annie enjoy the fireworks on the Fourth of July?
(a) She doesn't like the noise the fireworks make.
(b) She dreads the visit she will make with her grandfather to St. John's.
(c) The fireworks are not as spectacular as usual.
(d) She doesn't have a good view of the fireworks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has dinner almost ready when the Metcalfs arrive home from the train station?
2. Who is the main character?
3. In the evening after Annie's Sunday School outing, why do she and Father go over to Grandfather's house?
4. Why, on her first visit to St. John's, does Annie run away when she meets a patient?
5. Who has Annie's grandfather been visiting at St. John's Hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What keeps Mrs. Metcalf so busy that Annie has learned to play alone or to spend time at her grandparents' home?
2. Describe Ruth Sylvester.
3. What is Bible School?
4. Why does Annie wish to visit St. John's?
5. Why does Annie become angry with Miss Peterson and Emily?
6. Describe Dr. Metcalf's appearance the day after he returns home.
7. Describe Annie's feelings as she goes to meet her father at the train station.
8. What two events drew Annie and her Uncle Paul closer together? Why?
9. How do Annie, her family, and Ruth feel about the new war monument?
10. How did Annie and her mother get along while Dr. Metcalf was gone?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)