|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Mrs. Metcalf and her second group of friends like to do?
(a) Sit on the front porch and laugh and sing.
(b) Knit and crochet.
(c) Raise money for wounded soldiers.
(d) Attend operas and plays.
2. Annie is meeting her father at the station. Who else would Annie like to be meeting at the train station?
(a) Uncle Paul.
(b) Her grandparents.
(c) A cousin who served in the war.
(d) Her brother.
3. Who are the grownups that greet Annie and her parents when they arrive home from the train station?
(a) Uncle Paul and his wife.
(b) Grandfather, Grandmother, Aunt Felicia, Uncle Mark, and Uncle John.
(c) Neighbors and the family minister.
(d) People Annie's father worked with before the war.
4. After their first dinner together with father and their guests leave, what do the Metcalfs do together?
(a) Take a walk around the neighborhood.
(b) Fix a snack.
(c) Go to bed.
(d) Annie and her father sit on the sofa while her mother plays the piano.
5. When Annie and Mrs. Metcalf talk over breakfast the day after Dr. Metcalf returns home, what does Annie's mother say about what they saw at the train station?
(a) She tells Annie to ask her father about the topic.
(b) She listens to Annie and explains what was happening.
(c) She refuses to discuss the subject.
(d) She sends Annie to her room.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wounded soldiers arrive on the same train with Dr. Metcalf. Where are they going?
2. Why doesn't Annie enjoy the fireworks on the Fourth of July?
3. What book is Grandfather reading to the soldiers?
4. What do Annie and her Sunday School class see on their outing?
5. Why, on her first visit to St. John's, does Annie run away when she meets a patient?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ruth Sylvester.
2. Why did Uncle Paul visit Annie's mother frequently?
3. Who is Timothy Lewis?
4. What two events drew Annie and her Uncle Paul closer together? Why?
5. Why doesn't Annie's mother want her to visit St. John's?
6. Why is Annie so bothered by the wounded soldiers she saw at the train station?
7. What did Dr. Metcalf tell Annie before he left home nearly two years ago?
8. Why does Annie think she knows how much her mother missed Dr. Metcalf?
9. In Chapter 3, why is Annie almost glad that her father is up and gone when she gets up in the morning?
10. Why do you think Annie decides to go back to St. John's?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)