|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Annie celebrate the Fourth of July this summer?
(a) Singing the national anthem with friends and neighbors.
(b) At a picnic in the park with her family and other families.
(c) Watching the fireworks from their backyard.
(d) Visiting the hospital.
2. Who are Mrs. Metcalf's first group of friends?
(a) Women from the neighborhood.
(b) Friends from church.
(c) Other volunteers who work with her.
(d) Friends from the school she attended.
3. What was Annie doing when she learned that her uncle died?
(a) Making raspberry jam with her grandmother.
(b) Reading at the library.
(c) Walking around her neighborhood.
(d) Baking cookies with her mother.
4. What does the family do after dinner in Chapter 2?
(a) Play checkers.
(b) Clean up the kitchen.
(c) Sit on the front porch and also play croquet.
(d) Sing while Annie's mother plays the piano.
5. When her father was gone, what time of day did Annie most miss her father?
(a) Morning at breakfast, when they discussed plans for the day.
(b) Afternoons when her father would pick her up from school.
(c) Evening, when she would run to meet him after work.
(d) Lunches on Saturday when they would have picnics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Miss Peterson makes insensitive comments during the Sunday School class outing, who does Annie defend?
2. Grandfather and Dr. Metcalf are out walking the morning after Dr. Metcalf's return. Why does Grandfather tell Dr. Metcalf he is a brave man?
3. After Dr. Metcalf arrives on the train, who drives home from the station?
4. During Annie's second visit to St. John's, who do Annie and her grandfather meet?
5. Where did Annie's father serve during the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Annie decides to go back to St. John's?
2. In Chapter 3, why is Annie almost glad that her father is up and gone when she gets up in the morning?
3. Why does Annie think she knows how much her mother missed Dr. Metcalf?
4. How were many soldiers burned?
5. Why, if the war ended last year, does the newspaper run an article about a peace treaty?
6. How does Annie feel about her visit to St. John's?
7. Describe Ruth Sylvester.
8. Describe the two groups of soldiers that get off the train when Dr. Metcalf arrives.
9. Describe the soldier Annie meets at the hospital during her first visit to St. John's.
10. Why is Annie so bothered by the wounded soldiers she saw at the train station?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)