|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the Sunday School class go next?
(a) Back to the church.
(b) To a restaurant.
(c) To Miss Peterson's house.
(d) Blair's Ice Cream and Candy Parlor.
2. Grandfather and Dr. Metcalf are out walking the morning after Dr. Metcalf's return. Why does Grandfather tell Dr. Metcalf he is a brave man?
(a) Because Dr. Metcalf said no to a dinner party Mrs. Metcalf wished to have.
(b) Dr. Metcalf is buying another car.
(c) Dr. Metcalf did not buy Mrs. Metcalf a gift when he came home.
(d) Dr. Metcalf has accepted a job that Mrs. Metcalf does not approve of.
3. What are Annie's favorite summer activities?
(a) Playing the piano.
(b) Reading and visiting the library.
(c) Taking long walks.
(d) Playing checkers with her grandfather.
4. In Chapter 9, who says "I hope I never have to go out there. From what I hear, those fellows aren't very pretty"?
(a) The conductor on the trolley.
(c) Miss Peterson.
5. When does Chapter 3 take place?
(a) The middle of the night when Annie is awakened by her parents' voices.
(b) Three days after Annie's father returns.
(c) The next evening.
(d) The morning after Annie's father returns.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Annie sometimes feel shut out of her mother's life?
2. Who are Mrs. Metcalf's first group of friends?
3. What did Annie's father do during the war?
4. When Miss Peterson makes insensitive comments during the Sunday School class outing, who does Annie defend?
5. What does Annie's Sunday School teacher find disgusting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why, if the war ended last year, does the newspaper run an article about a peace treaty?
2. Why does Annie wish to visit St. John's?
3. Why doesn't Annie's mother want her to visit St. John's?
4. In Chapter 10, why is Annie angry with her mother?
5. In Chapter 3, why is Annie almost glad that her father is up and gone when she gets up in the morning?
6. How does Annie feel about her visit to St. John's?
7. What keeps Mrs. Metcalf so busy that Annie has learned to play alone or to spend time at her grandparents' home?
8. What did Dr. Metcalf tell Annie before he left home nearly two years ago?
9. How did Annie's grandparents react when they learned that Uncle Paul had died?
10. Why do you think Annie decides to go back to St. John's?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)