|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Annie's favorite summer activities?
(a) Reading and visiting the library.
(b) Playing the piano.
(c) Playing checkers with her grandfather.
(d) Taking long walks.
2. What does Annie do when her mother is working or playing the piano?
(a) Visits her grandparents or plays alone.
(b) Writes in her journal.
(c) Plays duets with her mother.
(d) Plays with friends.
3. The evening after the Sunday School outing, why does Grandfather ask Annie if she is scared?
(a) She does not want to tell her mother about the visit at St. John's.
(b) She doesn't want to ride the motorcycle with Father.
(c) She doesn't want to talk with Grandmother about St. John's.
(d) She does not want to talk about the incident at the ice cream shop.
4. Why is Annie nervous about seeing her father again?
(a) She is afraid that she will be in trouble for things she did while he was gone.
(b) She is afraid that he will be changed by the war.
(c) She is afraid he won't recognize her.
(d) She is afraid that he doesn't love her mother anymore.
5. While Annie waits for her father at the train station, what images does Annie keep seeing even though she closes her eyes?
(a) The look on her father's face when he first saw her.
(b) What she will have for dinner when they get home.
(c) The wounded men she saw at the station.
(d) The accident outside the station.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why, on her first visit to St. John's, does Annie run away when she meets a patient?
2. Why is Annie concerned about her grandfather as they begin the journey to go to St. John's for a second time?
3. What incident do Annie and her father discuss regarding her first visit to the hospital?
4. When Annie and Mrs. Metcalf talk over breakfast the day after Dr. Metcalf returns home, what does Annie's mother say about what they saw at the train station?
5. Who are Frances and Charlie?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 10, why is Annie angry with her mother?
2. What keeps Mrs. Metcalf so busy that Annie has learned to play alone or to spend time at her grandparents' home?
3. Describe Dr. Metcalf's appearance the day after he returns home.
4. What is Bible School?
5. How were many soldiers burned?
6. Why do you think Annie decides to go back to St. John's?
7. Why doesn't Annie's mother want her to visit St. John's?
8. Why, if the war ended last year, does the newspaper run an article about a peace treaty?
9. Why does Annie wish to visit St. John's?
10. Why does Annie have to help her Grandfather get off the trolley when she visits St. John's for a second time?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)