|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Annie nervous about seeing her father again?
(a) She is afraid that he doesn't love her mother anymore.
(b) She is afraid that she will be in trouble for things she did while he was gone.
(c) She is afraid he won't recognize her.
(d) She is afraid that he will be changed by the war.
2. The evening after the Sunday School outing, why does Grandfather ask Annie if she is scared?
(a) She does not want to talk about the incident at the ice cream shop.
(b) She doesn't want to talk with Grandmother about St. John's.
(c) She does not want to tell her mother about the visit at St. John's.
(d) She doesn't want to ride the motorcycle with Father.
3. When Annie returns from the Sunday School outing, what does she tell her parents?
(a) That she wants to visit the hospital again.
(b) That she wants a friend to come over.
(c) That she wants to cook the family's meals this summer.
(d) That she doesn't want to attend Sunday School this summer.
4. What does Annie's father talk about in the evenings after work?
(a) Uncle Paul.
(b) The nuns who run St. John's and the wounded soldiers.
(c) His experiences during the war.
(d) Music, opera, and social issues.
5. Why does Annie's mother often leave the room when Annie's father talks about his work?
(a) She's tired and goes to bed early.
(b) She has a piece of music to finish.
(c) She doesn't want to hear anything about the wounded soldiers.
(d) She likes to read for a while before she retires for the evening.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annie usually enjoy on the Fourth of July?
2. When her father was gone, what time of day did Annie most miss her father?
3. The newspaper is on the steps when Annie returns home from the Sunday School outing. What is the front page headline?
4. Who are Mrs. Metcalf's first group of friends?
5. Who has dinner almost ready when the Metcalfs arrive home from the train station?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Annie have to help her Grandfather get off the trolley when she visits St. John's for a second time?
2. What two events drew Annie and her Uncle Paul closer together? Why?
3. When Annie and her parents got home, why did Annie not run and hug her father like her cousins did?
4. How do Annie, her family, and Ruth feel about the new war monument?
5. Why does Annie wish to visit St. John's?
6. Describe Mrs. Metcalf's friends.
7. How did Annie's grandparents react when they learned that Uncle Paul had died?
8. Describe Annie's thoughts when the boy delivered the telegram telling them that Uncle Paul had died.
9. Who is Timothy Lewis?
10. What are Annie's activities when summer comes?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)