|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Annie's mother feel about Grandfather's volunteer work at St. John's?
(a) She does not approve.
(b) She is glad and drives him whenever he needs a ride.
(c) She thinks it is an excellent cause and sometimes volunteers herself.
(d) She asks him if she can do the same type of volunteer work.
2. Why is Annie so interested in the things that Ruth shows her?
(a) She is fascinated by foreign-sounding names and exotic places that she might visit.
(b) She wants to know more about the war.
(c) She loves to read.
(d) She enjoys poetry.
3. Who are Frances and Charlie?
(a) Uncle Paul's children.
(b) The dog and cat.
(c) Annie's friends from the neighborhood.
(d) Annie's cousins.
4. Annie runs away from one of the patients on her first visit to St. John's. Why does she go back?
(a) She tells her grandfather and he asks her to go back.
(b) Her father asks her to go back.
(c) She thinks of something she would like to ask the soldier.
(d) She drops her book and goes back to get it.
5. Annie is meeting her father at the station. Who else would Annie like to be meeting at the train station?
(a) Uncle Paul.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her grandparents.
(d) A cousin who served in the war.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Annie nervous about seeing her father again?
2. When does Chapter 3 take place?
3. Who are Mrs. Metcalf's second group of friends?
4. How has Annie's grandmother changed since Uncle Paul died?
5. Who has Annie's grandfather been visiting at St. John's Hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Annie's activities when summer comes?
2. Why did Uncle Paul visit Annie's mother frequently?
3. How did Annie's grandparents react when they learned that Uncle Paul had died?
4. In Chapter 3, why is Annie almost glad that her father is up and gone when she gets up in the morning?
5. Who is Timothy Lewis?
6. Why do you think Annie decides to go back to St. John's?
7. When Annie and her parents got home, why did Annie not run and hug her father like her cousins did?
8. Describe Dr. Metcalf's appearance the day after he returns home.
9. Why do you think Andrew wants to see pictures of France?
10. Describe the two groups of soldiers that get off the train when Dr. Metcalf arrives.
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)