|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The newspaper is on the steps when Annie returns home from the Sunday School outing. What is the front page headline?
(a) Vice President Marshall to Visit Kansas City.
(b) President Wilson to Visit Kansas City.
(c) War Monument Donations at 90%.
(d) World Peace Signed and Sealed at Versailles.
2. What does Annie do when her mother is working or playing the piano?
(a) Writes in her journal.
(b) Visits her grandparents or plays alone.
(c) Plays with friends.
(d) Plays duets with her mother.
3. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's after her second visit, what behavior bothers her and her grandfather?
(a) That Annie has to leave so soon.
(b) The weather.
(c) How rudely Annie's mother acts.
(d) Andrew's terrible burns.
4. The evening after the Sunday School outing, why does Grandfather ask Annie if she is scared?
(a) She does not want to talk about the incident at the ice cream shop.
(b) She does not want to tell her mother about the visit at St. John's.
(c) She doesn't want to ride the motorcycle with Father.
(d) She doesn't want to talk with Grandmother about St. John's.
5. The first time Annie visits the hospital, who gives her a tour?
(a) No one.
(b) Her grandfather.
(c) One of the nuns.
(d) Her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Annie and her Sunday School class see on their outing?
2. Why does Annie sometimes feel shut out of her mother's life?
3. Who are Frances and Charlie?
4. When her father was gone, what time of day did Annie most miss her father?
5. Where did Annie's father serve during the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the two groups of soldiers that get off the train when Dr. Metcalf arrives.
2. Describe the soldier Annie meets at the hospital during her first visit to St. John's.
3. Why does Annie have to help her Grandfather get off the trolley when she visits St. John's for a second time?
4. Why do you think Andrew wants to see pictures of France?
5. When Annie and her parents got home, why did Annie not run and hug her father like her cousins did?
6. Why did Uncle Paul visit Annie's mother frequently?
7. What keeps Mrs. Metcalf so busy that Annie has learned to play alone or to spend time at her grandparents' home?
8. How does Annie feel about her visit to St. John's?
9. How were many soldiers burned?
10. Why does Annie become angry with Miss Peterson and Emily?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)