|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting in Chapters 13 and 14?
(a) The park.
(b) Annie's grandparents' house.
(d) Annie's home and St. John's hospital.
2. What does Annie do each day now that her mother has been gone for a few days?
(a) Play the piano.
(b) Go to the library to see Ruth.
(c) Visit St. John's to see Andrew and help the nuns.
(d) Visit friends.
3. What is the outcome of Andrew's surgery?
(a) He had a bad reaction to the anesthesia.
(b) It is successful with no complications.
(c) There are complications and he will need another surgery.
(d) An infection has set in and he will have to have another surgery.
4. What bothers Andrew about the special celebration to be held on Armistice Day?
(a) That veterans from St. John's are not asked to participate.
(b) That Timothy will not be there to celebrate with them.
(c) That it is his last day in Kansas City.
(d) That he has to participate in the celebration.
5. What does Andrew appreciate about Annie?
(a) Her ability to play the piano.
(b) That she is his friend and doesn't look away when she sees him.
(c) That she bakes delicious cookies.
(d) That she visits daily.
6. Before Grandfather goes on the trip with Grandmother and Annie's mother, why does Annie tell him not to worry?
(a) She will write him frequently.
(b) She will visit Timothy and read to him.
(c) She will be fine at home alone.
(d) She will look after the chickens.
7. The day after Annie visits St. John's for a second time, Annie's mother decides to take a trip. Where is she going?
(a) New York City.
(b) To stay at Annie's grandparents' home.
(c) To Ruth's house.
(d) Estes Park, Colorado.
8. According to Annie, what did Uncle Paul earn for his service in the Army?
(a) A Purple Heart.
(b) An Iron Cross.
(c) Medals for courage.
(d) A commendation.
9. Before the dinner party, what does Ruth encourage Annie to do?
(a) Take more difficult classes at school.
(b) Remember Uncle Paul as he was and not focus on how he died.
(c) Get a part-time job at the hospital.
(d) Write to Andrew.
10. What reunites Annie and her mother after their argument when Annie's mother returned from her trip?
(a) Learning how Uncle Paul died.
(b) Annie plants rose bushes to replace the ones she ruined.
(c) Annie's grandmother talks to both of them and helps them mend their differences.
(d) Annie's mother allowing her to visit the hospital again.
11. What do Annie and her mother do when they get home after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
(a) They talk to Annie's grandmother.
(b) Read together.
(c) Eat supper silently.
(d) Annie's mother plays the piano and Annie sings.
12. About a week after Andrew's surgery, Annie goes to St. John's earlier than usual. What good news does she hear?
(a) Annie has been asked to volunteer at the hospital.
(b) There is a new treatment for Andrew's injuries.
(c) Annie has a job working at the library.
(d) Timothy has regained his sight.
13. Why is Andrew having surgery?
(a) Repair his damaged mouth.
(b) Repair his nose.
(c) Repair his jaw.
(d) Remove the damaged skin from his torso.
14. How was Andrew injured?
(a) He lost his gas mask and couldn't protect himself from an attack of mustard gas.
(b) He was in a building that exploded.
(c) A grenade was thrown into the trench where he waited.
(d) The gas tank of the vehicle he was riding was in exploded.
15. Although Annie is busy this summer and enjoying herself, why does she have times when she feels guilty?
(a) She doesn't have time to check on her grandparents home.
(b) She is visiting St. John's even though her mother ordered her not to go there.
(c) She isn't getting all the chores done at home.
(d) She burned her father's dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Annie's mother not want Annie to visit St. John's for a third time?
2. What does Grandfather say in his letter about Uncle Paul's medals?
3. How did Uncle Paul die?
4. Why does Mrs. Crayton visit Annie after school starts?
5. Why, over the course of the summer, has Andrew's condition improved?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)