|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why, over the course of the summer, has Andrew's condition improved?
(a) His friendship with Annie.
(b) The camaraderie of his fellow soldiers is helping him to have a more positive attitude.
(c) His father visits daily.
(d) The doctors are finding better ways to treat his condition.
2. Why doesn't Annie visit the hospital a few days after she receives Grandfather's letter?
(a) Andrew is having medical tests.
(b) She has to see Ruth at the library.
(c) Her father told her to stay home.
(d) Andrew asked her not to visit.
3. Where did Uncle Paul die, according to Lieutenant McFarland?
(a) Argonne Woods.
(b) Belleau Woods.
(d) Passchendaele Ridge.
4. How did Uncle Paul die?
(a) He was packing hand grenades and one exploded.
(c) A gun discharged in his tent and wounded him fatally.
5. What does Annie begin to realize about her mother and her mother's behavior after her second visit to St. John's?
(a) Her mother ignores things that are unpleasant.
(b) Her mother needs to talk about the war.
(c) Her mother is irrational.
(d) Her mother's dislike of anything that relates to the war must influence her mother's behavior.
6. What medal did Andrew receive?
(a) Distinguished Service Medal.
(b) Purple Heart.
(c) A letter of commendation.
(d) Bronze Star.
7. Why is there a conflict between Annie's parents now that Mrs. Metcalf has returned from her trip?
(a) That Annie didn't attend Sunday School while her mother was gone.
(b) That Annie didn't keep up with the household chores while her mother was gone.
(c) That Annie's father still refuses to work at the county hospital.
(d) That Annie's father allowed her to visit the hospital daily.
8. Who does Annie's mother invite to dinner before Andrew leaves?
(a) Andrew and Ruth.
(b) Andrew and Timothy.
(c) Annie's grandparents.
(d) Andrew and his parents.
9. How did Annie's friendship help Andrew?
(a) She persuaded her father to help him get a job.
(b) She helped him to become more self-confident and take chances again.
(c) She encouraged friends to visit Andrew.
(d) She helped him to be able to look in a mirror again.
10. Why are Annie and her mother avoiding each other the evening after her mother returns from her trip?
(a) Because Annie ruined her mother's rose garden.
(b) Because Annie spilled water on her mother's piano.
(c) Because Annie's mother won't allow her to visit friends.
(d) Because of their disagreement over Annie's visits to the hospital.
11. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, what does she wonder about her mother's views?
(a) Why music is such a large part of her mother's life.
(b) Why her mother is so opposed to to St. John's and the men there.
(c) Why her mother is so tired.
(d) Why she and her mother don't spend more time together.
12. Before Grandfather goes on the trip with Grandmother and Annie's mother, why does Annie tell him not to worry?
(a) She will write him frequently.
(b) She will look after the chickens.
(c) She will visit Timothy and read to him.
(d) She will be fine at home alone.
13. When and where did Uncle Paul die?
(a) October, 5, 1917, in Germany.
(b) April 14, 1918, in Germany.
(c) January 4, 1918, in France.
(d) June 6, 1918, in France.
14. Mrs. Crayton visits Annie after school begins. What does she give Annie?
(a) A book of maps.
(c) A novel Annie has been wanting to read.
(d) A pre-war photograph of Andrew.
15. Before the dinner party, what does Ruth encourage Annie to do?
(a) Remember Uncle Paul as he was and not focus on how he died.
(b) Write to Andrew.
(c) Get a part-time job at the hospital.
(d) Take more difficult classes at school.
Short Answer Questions
1. The morning after Annie's second visit to St. John's, what news do Annie and her grandmother learn?
2. Annie is back in school now. Where is Andrew going soon?
3. Why is Annie happy when she goes home the evening that she and Father go to St. John's?
4. What did a soldier tell Annie's family when he informed them that Uncle Paul had died?
5. What do Annie and her mother do when they get home after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)