|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Armistice Day approaches, what bothers Annie about the war memorial?
(a) That Uncle Paul's name will not be on it.
(b) That Andrew will not get to see the memorial completed.
(c) That Uncle Paul's name will be on it even though he did not die a hero.
(d) That it is so expensive.
2. Why is Annie's mother planning a trip the day after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
(a) She has an invitation to play a new piece of music at a concert.
(b) She and Grandmother will take Grandfather on a trip to recuperate.
(c) She needs more books from the library.
(d) She had an argument with Annie's father.
3. How will Annie find out if the surgery is a success?
(a) One of the nuns will call her after the surgery.
(b) Her father will call her from the hospital.
(c) Timothy will call her after the surgery.
(d) She will find out when she visits again.
4. Where do Annie's mother and her Uncle John go the evening after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
(a) To find Annie's father.
(b) To the hospital.
(c) To the library.
(d) To Annie's grandparents' home.
5. What does Andrew tell Annie after talking to a soldier who served with Uncle Paul?
(a) No one can remember when Uncle Paul's unit was in action.
(b) Uncle Paul's unit was in action on June 6.
(c) Uncle Paul's unit was not in action the entire month of June.
(d) Uncle Paul's unit was not in action until June 14, eight days after Uncle Paul died.
6. Why didn't Andrew enjoy going to school when he was a boy?
(a) He didn't like sitting still.
(b) He didn't like his teachers.
(c) He got bad grades.
(d) His best friend went to a different school.
7. Before Grandfather goes on the trip with Grandmother and Annie's mother, why does Annie tell him not to worry?
(a) She will look after the chickens.
(b) She will visit Timothy and read to him.
(c) She will write him frequently.
(d) She will be fine at home alone.
8. What does Andrew tell Annie about researching Uncle Paul's death?
(a) She may learn some unpleasant news about Uncle Paul's death.
(b) That she will need to contact Uncle Paul's commanding officer for more information.
(c) That it may be difficult to find out what really happened.
(d) To have her father help her research Uncle Paul's death.
9. What medal did Andrew receive?
(a) A letter of commendation.
(b) Bronze Star.
(c) Purple Heart.
(d) Distinguished Service Medal.
10. How was Andrew injured?
(a) He was in a building that exploded.
(b) A grenade was thrown into the trench where he waited.
(c) He lost his gas mask and couldn't protect himself from an attack of mustard gas.
(d) The gas tank of the vehicle he was riding was in exploded.
11. What did a soldier tell Annie's family when he informed them that Uncle Paul had died?
(a) Uncle Paul was wounded by friendly fire.
(b) Uncle Paul was a deserter.
(c) Uncle Paul was captured by the Germans and killed.
(d) Uncle Paul was a hero and an example for his men.
12. What will be done for Timothy's condition soon?
(a) The doctors will use a new salve on his eyes.
(b) His bandages will be removed.
(c) He will have an operation.
(d) He will learn Braille.
13. What reunites Annie and her mother after their argument when Annie's mother returned from her trip?
(a) Annie's grandmother talks to both of them and helps them mend their differences.
(b) Annie plants rose bushes to replace the ones she ruined.
(c) Annie's mother allowing her to visit the hospital again.
(d) Learning how Uncle Paul died.
14. The evening that Annie and her father go back to St. John's, what does Andrew promise to do for Annie?
(a) Write to some of the men in his unit and see if they remember when there was front line fighting.
(b) Ask Timothy what he remembers when there was front line fighting.
(c) Ask his commanding officer when there was front line fighting.
(d) Ask men who were in Uncle Paul's unit when there was front line fighting.
15. What do Annie and her mother do when they get home after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
(a) Eat supper silently.
(b) Annie's mother plays the piano and Annie sings.
(c) They talk to Annie's grandmother.
(d) Read together.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Annie's mother leaves on the trip with her grandparents, why is Annie nervous about telling her father she wants to go to St. John's?
2. What had Andrew considered doing shortly after he was injured?
3. Why doesn't Annie visit the hospital a few days after she receives Grandfather's letter?
4. What does Annie begin to realize about her mother and her mother's behavior after her second visit to St. John's?
5. On her third visit to St. John's, why does Annie try to apologize to Andrew?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)