|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why didn't Uncle Paul die in battle on June 6?
(a) He was in Britain on June 6.
(b) He wasn't in France on June 6.
(c) His unit didn't fight a battle until June 14.
(d) The army listed the wrong date in the telegram sent to Annie's family.
2. Mrs. Crayton visits Annie after school begins. What does she give Annie?
(b) A book of maps.
(c) A novel Annie has been wanting to read.
(d) A pre-war photograph of Andrew.
3. As the days pass since her grandparents and mother left, what does Annie begin to dread?
(a) Learning more about Uncle Paul's death.
(b) Visiting Andrew and Timothy.
(c) The beginning of another school year.
(d) Her mother's return.
4. Why doesn't Andrew's father visit him?
(a) He didn't want Andrew to enlist.
(b) He's handicapped and cannot visit Andrew.
(c) His car broke down.
(d) He can't bear to see Andrew's injuries.
5. What reunites Annie and her mother after their argument when Annie's mother returned from her trip?
(a) Learning how Uncle Paul died.
(b) Annie plants rose bushes to replace the ones she ruined.
(c) Annie's grandmother talks to both of them and helps them mend their differences.
(d) Annie's mother allowing her to visit the hospital again.
6. Before Grandfather goes on the trip with Grandmother and Annie's mother, why does Annie tell him not to worry?
(a) She will be fine at home alone.
(b) She will write him frequently.
(c) She will visit Timothy and read to him.
(d) She will look after the chickens.
7. It is almost time for Annie's mother to return home. What season of the year is ending?
8. What does Andrew tell Annie about researching Uncle Paul's death?
(a) She may learn some unpleasant news about Uncle Paul's death.
(b) To have her father help her research Uncle Paul's death.
(c) That it may be difficult to find out what really happened.
(d) That she will need to contact Uncle Paul's commanding officer for more information.
9. The day after receiving Grandfather's letter, who does Annie meet at the hospital?
(a) Andrew's siblings.
(b) Mrs. Crayton, Andrew's mother.
(c) Mrs. Lewis, Timothy's mother.
(d) Mr. Lewis, Timothy's father.
10. What is the setting in Chapters 13 and 14?
(a) The park.
(c) Annie's grandparents' house.
(d) Annie's home and St. John's hospital.
11. After arguing with her mother about St. John's, Annie goes to her room to think. What interrupts Annie's thoughts?
(a) Her father comes home.
(b) Her mother asks her to listen to a new piece of music.
(c) Her mother's voice and noises in the house.
(d) Her grandmother comes over.
12. Annie is allowed to visit St. John's again, but now Andrew is busy. What is Andrew doing at the hospital that keeps him busy?
(a) Doing physical therapy with some of the patients.
(b) Playing baseball.
(c) Yard work.
(d) Custodial work.
13. Where did Uncle Paul die, according to Lieutenant McFarland?
(a) Argonne Woods.
(b) Belleau Woods.
(d) Passchendaele Ridge.
14. The day after Annie visits St. John's for a second time, Annie's mother decides to take a trip. Where is she going?
(a) New York City.
(b) To stay at Annie's grandparents' home.
(c) To Ruth's house.
(d) Estes Park, Colorado.
15. How was Andrew injured?
(a) He was in a building that exploded.
(b) He lost his gas mask and couldn't protect himself from an attack of mustard gas.
(c) A grenade was thrown into the trench where he waited.
(d) The gas tank of the vehicle he was riding was in exploded.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Armistice Day approaches, what bothers Annie about the war memorial?
2. What does Andrew appreciate about Annie?
3. What did a soldier tell Annie's family when he informed them that Uncle Paul had died?
4. Why does Annie write a letter to her grandfather after her third visit to St. John's?
5. Where is Andrew's home?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)