|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mrs. Crayton visits Annie after school begins. What does she give Annie?
(a) A pre-war photograph of Andrew.
(b) A novel Annie has been wanting to read.
(d) A book of maps.
2. What reunites Annie and her mother after their argument when Annie's mother returned from her trip?
(a) Annie plants rose bushes to replace the ones she ruined.
(b) Annie's mother allowing her to visit the hospital again.
(c) Annie's grandmother talks to both of them and helps them mend their differences.
(d) Learning how Uncle Paul died.
3. As Armistice Day approaches, what bothers Annie about the war memorial?
(a) That Uncle Paul's name will not be on it.
(b) That Andrew will not get to see the memorial completed.
(c) That Uncle Paul's name will be on it even though he did not die a hero.
(d) That it is so expensive.
4. Why does Annie write a letter to her grandfather after her third visit to St. John's?
(a) To ask Grandfather if he is feeling better.
(b) To ask if Uncle Paul received a Purple Heart.
(c) To pass on a message from her father.
(d) To find out when Grandfather will be returning home.
5. The day after Annie visits St. John's for a second time, Annie's mother decides to take a trip. Where is she going?
(a) New York City.
(b) Estes Park, Colorado.
(c) To Ruth's house.
(d) To stay at Annie's grandparents' home.
6. After arguing with her mother about St. John's, Annie goes to her room to think. What interrupts Annie's thoughts?
(a) Her mother's voice and noises in the house.
(b) Her grandmother comes over.
(c) Her father comes home.
(d) Her mother asks her to listen to a new piece of music.
7. Why does Annie's mother finally allow Annie to continue visiting St. John's even though Annie lied when her mother was gone on her trip?
(a) Andrew calls Annie's mother and asks if she can visit again.
(b) Annie's father convinces her of the importance of Annie's visits to the soldiers.
(c) Ruth convinces Annie's mother to allow Annie to visit.
(d) Annie's grandfather asks her to reconsider.
8. Why doesn't Annie's mother wish to discuss the war or its aftermath?
(a) She thinks America should not have been involved in the war.
(b) She is a pacifist and is against war.
(c) She doesn't like to think about the injured, dying, or dead soldiers.
(d) Talking about the war reminds her of Uncle Paul's death.
9. Why are Annie and her mother avoiding each other the evening after her mother returns from her trip?
(a) Because Annie spilled water on her mother's piano.
(b) Because of their disagreement over Annie's visits to the hospital.
(c) Because Annie's mother won't allow her to visit friends.
(d) Because Annie ruined her mother's rose garden.
10. What does Annie do with her newfound freedom while her mother and her grandparents are gone on their trip?
(a) She goes back to Bible School.
(b) She invites friends over to her house.
(c) She goes to the library.
(d) She does chores and visits St. John's.
11. Why is Andrew having surgery?
(a) Repair his damaged mouth.
(b) Repair his jaw.
(c) Remove the damaged skin from his torso.
(d) Repair his nose.
12. Why didn't Andrew enjoy going to school when he was a boy?
(a) He didn't like sitting still.
(b) His best friend went to a different school.
(c) He got bad grades.
(d) He didn't like his teachers.
13. On Annie's third visit to St. John's, how does Andrew respond when Annie attempts to apologize?
(a) He tells her not to worry about what happened.
(b) He gets angry.
(c) He struggles to hold back tears.
(d) He dismisses her apology.
14. What does Andrew tell Annie after talking to a soldier who served with Uncle Paul?
(a) Uncle Paul's unit was in action on June 6.
(b) Uncle Paul's unit was not in action the entire month of June.
(c) No one can remember when Uncle Paul's unit was in action.
(d) Uncle Paul's unit was not in action until June 14, eight days after Uncle Paul died.
15. What will be done for Timothy's condition soon?
(a) His bandages will be removed.
(b) He will learn Braille.
(c) The doctors will use a new salve on his eyes.
(d) He will have an operation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Crayton visit Annie after school starts?
2. What does one of the soldiers from Uncle Paul's unit advise Annie to do when she meets him about a week after Andrew's surgery?
3. The day after receiving Grandfather's letter, who does Annie meet at the hospital?
4. After Grandfather sends a letter about Uncle Paul's medals, what does Annie decide to do?
5. Who tells Annie how Uncle Paul died?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)