|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Annie how Uncle Paul died?
(b) Her father.
(d) A lieutenant who served under Uncle Paul.
2. On her third visit to St. John's, why does Annie try to apologize to Andrew?
(a) Because her mother was so rude.
(b) Because she didn't bring anything to read to him.
(c) Because she ran away the first day she met him.
(d) Because she forgot to bring cookies.
3. According to Annie, what did Uncle Paul earn for his service in the Army?
(a) A Purple Heart.
(b) Medals for courage.
(c) An Iron Cross.
(d) A commendation.
4. Why, over the course of the summer, has Andrew's condition improved?
(a) His friendship with Annie.
(b) The camaraderie of his fellow soldiers is helping him to have a more positive attitude.
(c) His father visits daily.
(d) The doctors are finding better ways to treat his condition.
5. Why is there a conflict between Annie's parents now that Mrs. Metcalf has returned from her trip?
(a) That Annie's father still refuses to work at the county hospital.
(b) That Annie didn't attend Sunday School while her mother was gone.
(c) That Annie didn't keep up with the household chores while her mother was gone.
(d) That Annie's father allowed her to visit the hospital daily.
6. Where do Annie's mother and her Uncle John go the evening after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
(a) To find Annie's father.
(b) To Annie's grandparents' home.
(c) To the library.
(d) To the hospital.
7. What bothers Andrew about the special celebration to be held on Armistice Day?
(a) That Timothy will not be there to celebrate with them.
(b) That veterans from St. John's are not asked to participate.
(c) That it is his last day in Kansas City.
(d) That he has to participate in the celebration.
8. Why can't Annie hide the fact that she's been visiting St. John's from her mother any longer?
(a) Her mother is home.
(b) Annie's father informs her mother that Annie has been at the hospital.
(c) Someone calls her mother and tells her that Annie has been at the hospital.
(d) A neighbor tells Annie's mother that Annie has been at the hospital.
9. What does Annie do each day now that her mother has been gone for a few days?
(a) Go to the library to see Ruth.
(b) Play the piano.
(c) Visit St. John's to see Andrew and help the nuns.
(d) Visit friends.
10. Before the dinner party, what does Ruth encourage Annie to do?
(a) Take more difficult classes at school.
(b) Get a part-time job at the hospital.
(c) Remember Uncle Paul as he was and not focus on how he died.
(d) Write to Andrew.
11. About a week after Andrew's surgery, to whom does Andrew introduce Annie?
(a) The doctor who performed Andrew's surgery.
(b) A soldier who served with Uncle Paul.
(c) Andrew's father.
(d) A soldier from Andrew's unit.
12. Why are Annie and her mother avoiding each other the evening after her mother returns from her trip?
(a) Because of their disagreement over Annie's visits to the hospital.
(b) Because Annie spilled water on her mother's piano.
(c) Because Annie ruined her mother's rose garden.
(d) Because Annie's mother won't allow her to visit friends.
13. What medal did Andrew receive?
(a) Distinguished Service Medal.
(b) A letter of commendation.
(c) Bronze Star.
(d) Purple Heart.
14. What does Annie do with her newfound freedom while her mother and her grandparents are gone on their trip?
(a) She goes to the library.
(b) She does chores and visits St. John's.
(c) She invites friends over to her house.
(d) She goes back to Bible School.
15. What does Andrew tell Annie about researching Uncle Paul's death?
(a) She may learn some unpleasant news about Uncle Paul's death.
(b) To have her father help her research Uncle Paul's death.
(c) That it may be difficult to find out what really happened.
(d) That she will need to contact Uncle Paul's commanding officer for more information.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, what does she wonder about her mother's views?
2. What is the setting in Chapters 13 and 14?
3. Although Annie is busy this summer and enjoying herself, why does she have times when she feels guilty?
4. What grade is Annie in this school year?
5. What does Annie begin to realize about her mother and her mother's behavior after her second visit to St. John's?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)