|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before the dinner party, what does Ruth encourage Annie to do?
(a) Get a part-time job at the hospital.
(b) Remember Uncle Paul as he was and not focus on how he died.
(c) Take more difficult classes at school.
(d) Write to Andrew.
2. Why does Annie write a letter to her grandfather after her third visit to St. John's?
(a) To pass on a message from her father.
(b) To find out when Grandfather will be returning home.
(c) To ask Grandfather if he is feeling better.
(d) To ask if Uncle Paul received a Purple Heart.
3. What do Annie and her mother do when they get home after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
(a) Eat supper silently.
(b) Annie's mother plays the piano and Annie sings.
(c) Read together.
(d) They talk to Annie's grandmother.
4. What medal did Andrew receive?
(a) Purple Heart.
(b) Distinguished Service Medal.
(c) Bronze Star.
(d) A letter of commendation.
5. What did a soldier tell Annie's family when he informed them that Uncle Paul had died?
(a) Uncle Paul was a hero and an example for his men.
(b) Uncle Paul was captured by the Germans and killed.
(c) Uncle Paul was wounded by friendly fire.
(d) Uncle Paul was a deserter.
6. The evening that Annie and her father go back to St. John's, what does Andrew promise to do for Annie?
(a) Ask his commanding officer when there was front line fighting.
(b) Ask Timothy what he remembers when there was front line fighting.
(c) Ask men who were in Uncle Paul's unit when there was front line fighting.
(d) Write to some of the men in his unit and see if they remember when there was front line fighting.
7. Who tells Annie how Uncle Paul died?
(a) Her father.
(b) A lieutenant who served under Uncle Paul.
8. What reunites Annie and her mother after their argument when Annie's mother returned from her trip?
(a) Annie's mother allowing her to visit the hospital again.
(b) Annie's grandmother talks to both of them and helps them mend their differences.
(c) Annie plants rose bushes to replace the ones she ruined.
(d) Learning how Uncle Paul died.
9. Why didn't Uncle Paul die in battle on June 6?
(a) The army listed the wrong date in the telegram sent to Annie's family.
(b) His unit didn't fight a battle until June 14.
(c) He was in Britain on June 6.
(d) He wasn't in France on June 6.
10. Why is there a conflict between Annie's parents now that Mrs. Metcalf has returned from her trip?
(a) That Annie's father allowed her to visit the hospital daily.
(b) That Annie didn't keep up with the household chores while her mother was gone.
(c) That Annie's father still refuses to work at the county hospital.
(d) That Annie didn't attend Sunday School while her mother was gone.
11. What does Andrew appreciate about Annie?
(a) Her ability to play the piano.
(b) That she bakes delicious cookies.
(c) That she visits daily.
(d) That she is his friend and doesn't look away when she sees him.
12. Who does Annie's mother invite to dinner before Andrew leaves?
(a) Andrew and Timothy.
(b) Annie's grandparents.
(c) Andrew and his parents.
(d) Andrew and Ruth.
13. What does Grandfather say in his letter about Uncle Paul's medals?
(a) Uncle Paul did not receive a Purple Heart.
(b) Uncle Paul received a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart.
(c) Uncle Paul received a Purple Heart.
(d) Uncle Paul received a Good Conduct Medal.
14. Where is Andrew's home?
(a) A house near Annie's neighborhood.
(b) A farm in a nearby town.
(c) Near Aunt Felicia's house.
(d) An apartment building downtown.
15. What bothers Andrew about the special celebration to be held on Armistice Day?
(a) That veterans from St. John's are not asked to participate.
(b) That it is his last day in Kansas City.
(c) That he has to participate in the celebration.
(d) That Timothy will not be there to celebrate with them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does one of the soldiers from Uncle Paul's unit advise Annie to do when she meets him about a week after Andrew's surgery?
2. As the days pass since her grandparents and mother left, what does Annie begin to dread?
3. Why didn't Andrew enjoy going to school when he was a boy?
4. After arguing with her mother about St. John's, Annie goes to her room to think. What interrupts Annie's thoughts?
5. What does Annie do each day now that her mother has been gone for a few days?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)