|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The morning after Annie's second visit to St. John's, what news do Annie and her grandmother learn?
(a) Annie's father is very sick.
(b) Annie's grandfather died at the hospital.
(c) Annie's grandfather has cancer.
(d) Annie's grandfather has had a heart attack, but will live.
2. Why doesn't Annie's mother wish to discuss the war or its aftermath?
(a) She doesn't like to think about the injured, dying, or dead soldiers.
(b) She is a pacifist and is against war.
(c) She thinks America should not have been involved in the war.
(d) Talking about the war reminds her of Uncle Paul's death.
3. Why is Annie so angry with her mother as they drive away from St. John's after Annie's second visit?
(a) She wanted to get ice cream before they went home.
(b) She wanted to come home on the trolley.
(c) Annie was just beginning to get to know Andrew and her mother had ruined it all.
(d) She had wanted to come home with Father.
4. Why does Ruth come over to Annie's house the evening after Annie visits St. John's for a second time?
(a) To take Annie to see her father.
(b) To give Annie another book.
(c) To talk with Annie's mother.
(d) To stay with Annie and her grandmother.
5. What does Andrew appreciate about Annie?
(a) That she visits daily.
(b) That she is his friend and doesn't look away when she sees him.
(c) That she bakes delicious cookies.
(d) Her ability to play the piano.
6. What do Annie and her mother do when they get home after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
(a) Eat supper silently.
(b) Read together.
(c) Annie's mother plays the piano and Annie sings.
(d) They talk to Annie's grandmother.
7. Why is there a conflict between Annie's parents now that Mrs. Metcalf has returned from her trip?
(a) That Annie didn't keep up with the household chores while her mother was gone.
(b) That Annie's father still refuses to work at the county hospital.
(c) That Annie didn't attend Sunday School while her mother was gone.
(d) That Annie's father allowed her to visit the hospital daily.
8. Although Annie is busy this summer and enjoying herself, why does she have times when she feels guilty?
(a) She isn't getting all the chores done at home.
(b) She burned her father's dinner.
(c) She doesn't have time to check on her grandparents home.
(d) She is visiting St. John's even though her mother ordered her not to go there.
9. What does Annie do each day now that her mother has been gone for a few days?
(a) Go to the library to see Ruth.
(b) Play the piano.
(c) Visit St. John's to see Andrew and help the nuns.
(d) Visit friends.
10. After Annie's mother leaves on the trip with her grandparents, why is Annie nervous about telling her father she wants to go to St. John's?
(a) She is afraid that he will think she does not have time to visit.
(b) She is afraid he will not want her going to St. John's by herself.
(c) She is afraid he will not want her to visit.
(d) She is afraid that her mother told him that Annie is not allowed to visit.
11. Before the dinner party, what does Ruth encourage Annie to do?
(a) Remember Uncle Paul as he was and not focus on how he died.
(b) Get a part-time job at the hospital.
(c) Write to Andrew.
(d) Take more difficult classes at school.
12. What bothers Andrew about the special celebration to be held on Armistice Day?
(a) That Timothy will not be there to celebrate with them.
(b) That it is his last day in Kansas City.
(c) That veterans from St. John's are not asked to participate.
(d) That he has to participate in the celebration.
13. What medal did Andrew receive?
(a) A letter of commendation.
(b) Distinguished Service Medal.
(c) Bronze Star.
(d) Purple Heart.
14. Why does Annie write a letter to her grandfather after her third visit to St. John's?
(a) To ask if Uncle Paul received a Purple Heart.
(b) To find out when Grandfather will be returning home.
(c) To pass on a message from her father.
(d) To ask Grandfather if he is feeling better.
15. How was Andrew injured?
(a) He was in a building that exploded.
(b) He lost his gas mask and couldn't protect himself from an attack of mustard gas.
(c) A grenade was thrown into the trench where he waited.
(d) The gas tank of the vehicle he was riding was in exploded.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the days pass since her grandparents and mother left, what does Annie begin to dread?
2. What does Andrew tell Annie about researching Uncle Paul's death?
3. How does Annie feel about staying home and not going on a trip with Mother and her grandparents?
4. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, what does she wonder about her mother's views?
5. What is the outcome of Andrew's surgery?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)