|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Annie's mother planning a trip the day after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
(a) She and Grandmother will take Grandfather on a trip to recuperate.
(b) She needs more books from the library.
(c) She had an argument with Annie's father.
(d) She has an invitation to play a new piece of music at a concert.
2. Why do Annie and her father visit St. John's in the evening a couple days after Grandfather writes Annie?
(a) To visit Timothy.
(b) Annie's father has to care for a dying patient.
(c) There is an emergency at the hospital.
(d) To talk with Andrew.
3. What does Andrew tell Annie about researching Uncle Paul's death?
(a) That it may be difficult to find out what really happened.
(b) To have her father help her research Uncle Paul's death.
(c) She may learn some unpleasant news about Uncle Paul's death.
(d) That she will need to contact Uncle Paul's commanding officer for more information.
4. Before Grandfather goes on the trip with Grandmother and Annie's mother, why does Annie tell him not to worry?
(a) She will write him frequently.
(b) She will visit Timothy and read to him.
(c) She will be fine at home alone.
(d) She will look after the chickens.
5. Why doesn't Annie's mother wish to discuss the war or its aftermath?
(a) Talking about the war reminds her of Uncle Paul's death.
(b) She is a pacifist and is against war.
(c) She doesn't like to think about the injured, dying, or dead soldiers.
(d) She thinks America should not have been involved in the war.
6. How does Annie feel about staying home and not going on a trip with Mother and her grandparents?
(a) She is sad.
(b) She is angry that she was not allowed to go.
(c) She is lonely.
(d) She is pleased.
7. Where did Uncle Paul die, according to Lieutenant McFarland?
(a) Belleau Woods.
(b) Passchendaele Ridge.
(d) Argonne Woods.
8. The evening that Annie and her father go back to St. John's, what does Andrew promise to do for Annie?
(a) Ask his commanding officer when there was front line fighting.
(b) Write to some of the men in his unit and see if they remember when there was front line fighting.
(c) Ask Timothy what he remembers when there was front line fighting.
(d) Ask men who were in Uncle Paul's unit when there was front line fighting.
9. What will be done for Timothy's condition soon?
(a) He will learn Braille.
(b) The doctors will use a new salve on his eyes.
(c) His bandages will be removed.
(d) He will have an operation.
10. When and where did Uncle Paul die?
(a) January 4, 1918, in France.
(b) October, 5, 1917, in Germany.
(c) June 6, 1918, in France.
(d) April 14, 1918, in Germany.
11. The day after Annie visits St. John's for a second time, Annie's mother decides to take a trip. Where is she going?
(a) To stay at Annie's grandparents' home.
(b) To Ruth's house.
(c) Estes Park, Colorado.
(d) New York City.
12. What does one of the soldiers from Uncle Paul's unit advise Annie to do when she meets him about a week after Andrew's surgery?
(a) Write Uncle Paul's commanding officer.
(b) Look through Uncle Paul's belongings.
(c) Stop researching Uncle Paul's death.
(d) Talk to other men in Uncle Paul's unit.
13. Why is there a conflict between Annie's parents now that Mrs. Metcalf has returned from her trip?
(a) That Annie didn't attend Sunday School while her mother was gone.
(b) That Annie didn't keep up with the household chores while her mother was gone.
(c) That Annie's father allowed her to visit the hospital daily.
(d) That Annie's father still refuses to work at the county hospital.
14. How does Annie's father learn how Uncle Paul died?
(a) Andrew tells him.
(b) Grandfather tells him.
(c) Timothy tells him.
(d) Annie tells him.
15. What grade is Annie in this school year?
(a) Eleventh grade.
(b) Tenth Grade.
(c) Ninth grade.
(d) Eighth grade.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before the dinner party, what does Ruth encourage Annie to do?
2. How did Uncle Paul die?
3. On her third visit to St. John's, why does Annie try to apologize to Andrew?
4. What happens the evening after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
5. What reunites Annie and her mother after their argument when Annie's mother returned from her trip?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)