|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Annie how Uncle Paul died?
(a) A lieutenant who served under Uncle Paul.
(b) Her father.
2. Why is Annie so angry with her mother as they drive away from St. John's after Annie's second visit?
(a) She wanted to come home on the trolley.
(b) She had wanted to come home with Father.
(c) She wanted to get ice cream before they went home.
(d) Annie was just beginning to get to know Andrew and her mother had ruined it all.
3. What does Annie do with her newfound freedom while her mother and her grandparents are gone on their trip?
(a) She invites friends over to her house.
(b) She does chores and visits St. John's.
(c) She goes to the library.
(d) She goes back to Bible School.
4. Annie is back in school now. Where is Andrew going soon?
(a) To work for his father.
(b) To his grandparents' home.
(c) To work in a veteran's hospital in Topeka.
(d) Back to school.
5. According to Annie, what did Uncle Paul earn for his service in the Army?
(a) A commendation.
(b) An Iron Cross.
(c) Medals for courage.
(d) A Purple Heart.
6. On Annie's third visit to St. John's, who do Annie and Andrew talk about?
(a) Annie's mother.
(c) Annie's grandfather.
(d) Uncle Paul.
7. As the days pass since her grandparents and mother left, what does Annie begin to dread?
(a) Learning more about Uncle Paul's death.
(b) The beginning of another school year.
(c) Visiting Andrew and Timothy.
(d) Her mother's return.
8. Why does Mrs. Crayton visit Annie after school starts?
(a) To ask her to visit her and Andrew at their home.
(b) To introduce her to Mr. Crayton.
(c) To introduce her to Andrew's siblings.
(d) To thank her for helping Andrew to recover.
9. How will Annie find out if the surgery is a success?
(a) One of the nuns will call her after the surgery.
(b) Her father will call her from the hospital.
(c) Timothy will call her after the surgery.
(d) She will find out when she visits again.
10. As Armistice Day approaches, what bothers Annie about the war memorial?
(a) That it is so expensive.
(b) That Andrew will not get to see the memorial completed.
(c) That Uncle Paul's name will not be on it.
(d) That Uncle Paul's name will be on it even though he did not die a hero.
11. What does Grandfather say in his letter about Uncle Paul's medals?
(a) Uncle Paul received a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart.
(b) Uncle Paul received a Purple Heart.
(c) Uncle Paul received a Good Conduct Medal.
(d) Uncle Paul did not receive a Purple Heart.
12. Why doesn't Andrew's father visit him?
(a) He can't bear to see Andrew's injuries.
(b) He's handicapped and cannot visit Andrew.
(c) His car broke down.
(d) He didn't want Andrew to enlist.
13. Why does Annie's mother not want Annie to visit St. John's for a third time?
(a) She does not want Annie exposed to all the ugliness.
(b) Because Annie is supposed to be helping Grandmother.
(c) She doesn't think Annie will be able to get all her chores done.
(d) Because Annie needs to go to Bible School.
14. On her third visit to St. John's, why does Annie try to apologize to Andrew?
(a) Because her mother was so rude.
(b) Because she ran away the first day she met him.
(c) Because she forgot to bring cookies.
(d) Because she didn't bring anything to read to him.
15. Mrs. Crayton visits Annie after school begins. What does she give Annie?
(a) A novel Annie has been wanting to read.
(c) A pre-war photograph of Andrew.
(d) A book of maps.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will be done for Timothy's condition soon?
2. Why are Annie and her mother avoiding each other the evening after her mother returns from her trip?
3. The morning after Annie's second visit to St. John's, what news do Annie and her grandmother learn?
4. Why do Annie and her father visit St. John's in the evening a couple days after Grandfather writes Annie?
5. Why is Annie happy when she goes home the evening that she and Father go to St. John's?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)