|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are Annie's days a flurry of activity now that her mother has been gone for awhile?
(a) She helps Ruth at the library.
(b) She gets together with friends every day.
(c) She is taking a summer school class.
(d) She has many chores to do at home and she visits Andrew every day.
2. What grade is Annie in this school year?
(a) Eleventh grade.
(b) Tenth Grade.
(c) Eighth grade.
(d) Ninth grade.
3. Why doesn't Annie's mother wish to discuss the war or its aftermath?
(a) Talking about the war reminds her of Uncle Paul's death.
(b) She thinks America should not have been involved in the war.
(c) She is a pacifist and is against war.
(d) She doesn't like to think about the injured, dying, or dead soldiers.
4. Why does Annie's mother not want Annie to visit St. John's for a third time?
(a) She does not want Annie exposed to all the ugliness.
(b) Because Annie needs to go to Bible School.
(c) She doesn't think Annie will be able to get all her chores done.
(d) Because Annie is supposed to be helping Grandmother.
5. Why is there a conflict between Annie's parents now that Mrs. Metcalf has returned from her trip?
(a) That Annie's father allowed her to visit the hospital daily.
(b) That Annie's father still refuses to work at the county hospital.
(c) That Annie didn't attend Sunday School while her mother was gone.
(d) That Annie didn't keep up with the household chores while her mother was gone.
6. As the days pass since her grandparents and mother left, what does Annie begin to dread?
(a) Learning more about Uncle Paul's death.
(b) Visiting Andrew and Timothy.
(c) Her mother's return.
(d) The beginning of another school year.
7. Why does Ruth come over to Annie's house the evening after Annie visits St. John's for a second time?
(a) To give Annie another book.
(b) To stay with Annie and her grandmother.
(c) To take Annie to see her father.
(d) To talk with Annie's mother.
8. Before the dinner party, what does Ruth encourage Annie to do?
(a) Remember Uncle Paul as he was and not focus on how he died.
(b) Take more difficult classes at school.
(c) Get a part-time job at the hospital.
(d) Write to Andrew.
9. How was Andrew injured?
(a) The gas tank of the vehicle he was riding was in exploded.
(b) A grenade was thrown into the trench where he waited.
(c) He was in a building that exploded.
(d) He lost his gas mask and couldn't protect himself from an attack of mustard gas.
10. Why does Annie's mother finally allow Annie to continue visiting St. John's even though Annie lied when her mother was gone on her trip?
(a) Ruth convinces Annie's mother to allow Annie to visit.
(b) Annie's father convinces her of the importance of Annie's visits to the soldiers.
(c) Annie's grandfather asks her to reconsider.
(d) Andrew calls Annie's mother and asks if she can visit again.
11. According to Ruth, why did Andrew, Uncle Paul, and other young men enlist in the war?
(a) They liked to fight and shoot guns.
(b) They wanted to get away from home.
(c) It was exciting to think of becoming a soldier.
(d) They wanted to serve their country.
12. What does Annie do with her newfound freedom while her mother and her grandparents are gone on their trip?
(a) She invites friends over to her house.
(b) She goes back to Bible School.
(c) She does chores and visits St. John's.
(d) She goes to the library.
13. What did a soldier tell Annie's family when he informed them that Uncle Paul had died?
(a) Uncle Paul was a deserter.
(b) Uncle Paul was wounded by friendly fire.
(c) Uncle Paul was a hero and an example for his men.
(d) Uncle Paul was captured by the Germans and killed.
14. What bothers Andrew about the special celebration to be held on Armistice Day?
(a) That he has to participate in the celebration.
(b) That it is his last day in Kansas City.
(c) That Timothy will not be there to celebrate with them.
(d) That veterans from St. John's are not asked to participate.
15. Why doesn't Annie visit the hospital a few days after she receives Grandfather's letter?
(a) Andrew asked her not to visit.
(b) Andrew is having medical tests.
(c) Her father told her to stay home.
(d) She has to see Ruth at the library.
Short Answer Questions
1. Annie is allowed to visit St. John's again, but now Andrew is busy. What is Andrew doing at the hospital that keeps him busy?
2. What reunites Annie and her mother after their argument when Annie's mother returned from her trip?
3. After Annie's mother leaves on the trip with her grandparents, why is Annie nervous about telling her father she wants to go to St. John's?
4. Who tells Annie how Uncle Paul died?
5. Where do Annie's mother and her Uncle John go the evening after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)