|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did a soldier tell Annie's family when he informed them that Uncle Paul had died?
(a) Uncle Paul was a hero and an example for his men.
(b) Uncle Paul was a deserter.
(c) Uncle Paul was captured by the Germans and killed.
(d) Uncle Paul was wounded by friendly fire.
2. About a week after Andrew's surgery, to whom does Andrew introduce Annie?
(a) Andrew's father.
(b) A soldier who served with Uncle Paul.
(c) The doctor who performed Andrew's surgery.
(d) A soldier from Andrew's unit.
3. After Annie learns how Uncle Paul died, why does she feel guilty?
(a) The pain she caused investigating Uncle Paul's death.
(b) She does not have as much time to visit Andrew as she would like.
(c) She visited St. John's all summer without her mother's permission.
(d) She has been too busy to get together with friends.
4. Who does Annie's mother invite to dinner before Andrew leaves?
(a) Andrew and his parents.
(b) Annie's grandparents.
(c) Andrew and Ruth.
(d) Andrew and Timothy.
5. Why does Annie's mother finally allow Annie to continue visiting St. John's even though Annie lied when her mother was gone on her trip?
(a) Annie's grandfather asks her to reconsider.
(b) Annie's father convinces her of the importance of Annie's visits to the soldiers.
(c) Andrew calls Annie's mother and asks if she can visit again.
(d) Ruth convinces Annie's mother to allow Annie to visit.
6. What does Grandfather say in his letter about Uncle Paul's medals?
(a) Uncle Paul received a Purple Heart.
(b) Uncle Paul received a Good Conduct Medal.
(c) Uncle Paul did not receive a Purple Heart.
(d) Uncle Paul received a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart.
7. Why didn't Uncle Paul die in battle on June 6?
(a) His unit didn't fight a battle until June 14.
(b) The army listed the wrong date in the telegram sent to Annie's family.
(c) He was in Britain on June 6.
(d) He wasn't in France on June 6.
8. What does Andrew tell Annie about researching Uncle Paul's death?
(a) That it may be difficult to find out what really happened.
(b) That she will need to contact Uncle Paul's commanding officer for more information.
(c) To have her father help her research Uncle Paul's death.
(d) She may learn some unpleasant news about Uncle Paul's death.
9. Why is there a conflict between Annie's parents now that Mrs. Metcalf has returned from her trip?
(a) That Annie didn't attend Sunday School while her mother was gone.
(b) That Annie didn't keep up with the household chores while her mother was gone.
(c) That Annie's father still refuses to work at the county hospital.
(d) That Annie's father allowed her to visit the hospital daily.
10. Why is Annie's mother planning a trip the day after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
(a) She and Grandmother will take Grandfather on a trip to recuperate.
(b) She had an argument with Annie's father.
(c) She has an invitation to play a new piece of music at a concert.
(d) She needs more books from the library.
11. What is the outcome of Andrew's surgery?
(a) An infection has set in and he will have to have another surgery.
(b) It is successful with no complications.
(c) He had a bad reaction to the anesthesia.
(d) There are complications and he will need another surgery.
12. On her third visit to St. John's, why does Annie try to apologize to Andrew?
(a) Because she didn't bring anything to read to him.
(b) Because she ran away the first day she met him.
(c) Because her mother was so rude.
(d) Because she forgot to bring cookies.
13. Why is Andrew having surgery?
(a) Repair his nose.
(b) Repair his jaw.
(c) Remove the damaged skin from his torso.
(d) Repair his damaged mouth.
14. Annie is back in school now. Where is Andrew going soon?
(a) To work for his father.
(b) To work in a veteran's hospital in Topeka.
(c) Back to school.
(d) To his grandparents' home.
15. How did Annie's friendship help Andrew?
(a) She encouraged friends to visit Andrew.
(b) She helped him to be able to look in a mirror again.
(c) She persuaded her father to help him get a job.
(d) She helped him to become more self-confident and take chances again.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Armistice Day approaches, what bothers Annie about the war memorial?
2. How did Uncle Paul die?
3. Why doesn't Andrew's father visit him?
4. About a week after Andrew's surgery, Annie goes to St. John's earlier than usual. What good news does she hear?
5. On Annie's third visit to St. John's, who do Annie and Andrew talk about?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)