|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Grandfather sends a letter about Uncle Paul's medals, what does Annie decide to do?
(a) Learn more about Andrew's service record.
(b) Learn how Timothy was injured.
(c) Continue visting St. John's.
(d) Learn more about Uncle Paul's death and the missing medal.
2. What is the setting in Chapters 13 and 14?
(a) Annie's grandparents' house.
(c) The park.
(d) Annie's home and St. John's hospital.
3. Who does Annie's mother invite to dinner before Andrew leaves?
(a) Andrew and Timothy.
(b) Annie's grandparents.
(c) Andrew and Ruth.
(d) Andrew and his parents.
4. Why is Annie's mother planning a trip the day after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
(a) She and Grandmother will take Grandfather on a trip to recuperate.
(b) She has an invitation to play a new piece of music at a concert.
(c) She needs more books from the library.
(d) She had an argument with Annie's father.
5. About a week after Andrew's surgery, to whom does Andrew introduce Annie?
(a) Andrew's father.
(b) The doctor who performed Andrew's surgery.
(c) A soldier who served with Uncle Paul.
(d) A soldier from Andrew's unit.
6. Why does Annie's mother not want Annie to visit St. John's for a third time?
(a) She doesn't think Annie will be able to get all her chores done.
(b) Because Annie needs to go to Bible School.
(c) She does not want Annie exposed to all the ugliness.
(d) Because Annie is supposed to be helping Grandmother.
7. Why does Mrs. Crayton visit Annie after school starts?
(a) To introduce her to Mr. Crayton.
(b) To thank her for helping Andrew to recover.
(c) To introduce her to Andrew's siblings.
(d) To ask her to visit her and Andrew at their home.
8. How did Uncle Paul die?
(a) A gun discharged in his tent and wounded him fatally.
(d) He was packing hand grenades and one exploded.
9. Why does Annie write a letter to her grandfather after her third visit to St. John's?
(a) To pass on a message from her father.
(b) To find out when Grandfather will be returning home.
(c) To ask Grandfather if he is feeling better.
(d) To ask if Uncle Paul received a Purple Heart.
10. What is the outcome of Andrew's surgery?
(a) An infection has set in and he will have to have another surgery.
(b) It is successful with no complications.
(c) He had a bad reaction to the anesthesia.
(d) There are complications and he will need another surgery.
11. How will Annie find out if the surgery is a success?
(a) She will find out when she visits again.
(b) Her father will call her from the hospital.
(c) Timothy will call her after the surgery.
(d) One of the nuns will call her after the surgery.
12. On Annie's third visit to St. John's, who do Annie and Andrew talk about?
(b) Uncle Paul.
(c) Annie's grandfather.
(d) Annie's mother.
13. What did a soldier tell Annie's family when he informed them that Uncle Paul had died?
(a) Uncle Paul was wounded by friendly fire.
(b) Uncle Paul was a deserter.
(c) Uncle Paul was a hero and an example for his men.
(d) Uncle Paul was captured by the Germans and killed.
14. The day after Annie visits St. John's for a second time, Annie's mother decides to take a trip. Where is she going?
(a) New York City.
(b) Estes Park, Colorado.
(c) To Ruth's house.
(d) To stay at Annie's grandparents' home.
15. Annie is allowed to visit St. John's again, but now Andrew is busy. What is Andrew doing at the hospital that keeps him busy?
(a) Yard work.
(b) Custodial work.
(c) Doing physical therapy with some of the patients.
(d) Playing baseball.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Annie's mother and her Uncle John go the evening after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
2. Why does Ruth come over to Annie's house the evening after Annie visits St. John's for a second time?
3. Annie is back in school now. Where is Andrew going soon?
4. Mrs. Crayton visits Annie after school begins. What does she give Annie?
5. What does Grandfather say in his letter about Uncle Paul's medals?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)