|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Annie's mother planning a trip the day after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
(a) She and Grandmother will take Grandfather on a trip to recuperate.
(b) She had an argument with Annie's father.
(c) She has an invitation to play a new piece of music at a concert.
(d) She needs more books from the library.
2. How are Annie and her mother getting along now that her mother and her grandparents have returned from their trip?
(a) Their relationship is better than it ever has been.
(b) They're planning on going to the hospital together.
(c) They are glad to be back together.
(d) There is tension between them.
3. Why is the date of Uncle Paul's death in question?
(a) There was no fighting in France in June.
(b) Andrew doesn't think there was front line fighting that day.
(c) The telegram the family received has a different date than the date on the death certificate.
(d) The war was over before that date.
4. As the days pass since her grandparents and mother left, what does Annie begin to dread?
(a) Visiting Andrew and Timothy.
(b) Learning more about Uncle Paul's death.
(c) Her mother's return.
(d) The beginning of another school year.
5. Where is Andrew's home?
(a) Near Aunt Felicia's house.
(b) A house near Annie's neighborhood.
(c) A farm in a nearby town.
(d) An apartment building downtown.
6. Who tells Annie how Uncle Paul died?
(a) A lieutenant who served under Uncle Paul.
(b) Her father.
7. Why does Mrs. Crayton visit Annie after school starts?
(a) To introduce her to Andrew's siblings.
(b) To ask her to visit her and Andrew at their home.
(c) To thank her for helping Andrew to recover.
(d) To introduce her to Mr. Crayton.
8. What does Annie do each day now that her mother has been gone for a few days?
(a) Visit St. John's to see Andrew and help the nuns.
(b) Go to the library to see Ruth.
(c) Visit friends.
(d) Play the piano.
9. How does Annie's father learn how Uncle Paul died?
(a) Grandfather tells him.
(b) Timothy tells him.
(c) Andrew tells him.
(d) Annie tells him.
10. Why is Annie so angry with her mother as they drive away from St. John's after Annie's second visit?
(a) She wanted to come home on the trolley.
(b) Annie was just beginning to get to know Andrew and her mother had ruined it all.
(c) She wanted to get ice cream before they went home.
(d) She had wanted to come home with Father.
11. What does Grandfather say in his letter about Uncle Paul's medals?
(a) Uncle Paul received a Purple Heart.
(b) Uncle Paul did not receive a Purple Heart.
(c) Uncle Paul received a Good Conduct Medal.
(d) Uncle Paul received a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart.
12. On her third visit to St. John's, why does Annie try to apologize to Andrew?
(a) Because she forgot to bring cookies.
(b) Because she ran away the first day she met him.
(c) Because she didn't bring anything to read to him.
(d) Because her mother was so rude.
13. Where did Uncle Paul die, according to Lieutenant McFarland?
(a) Belleau Woods.
(b) Passchendaele Ridge.
(d) Argonne Woods.
14. Why do Annie and her father visit St. John's in the evening a couple days after Grandfather writes Annie?
(a) There is an emergency at the hospital.
(b) To visit Timothy.
(c) To talk with Andrew.
(d) Annie's father has to care for a dying patient.
15. Why is Annie happy when she goes home the evening that she and Father go to St. John's?
(a) Andrew kisses the top of her head.
(b) Her father asked her to assist him.
(c) The nuns are very pleased with her work.
(d) Everyone at St. John's enjoys her cookies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What grade is Annie in this school year?
2. The day after Annie visits St. John's for a second time, Annie's mother decides to take a trip. Where is she going?
3. What does one of the soldiers from Uncle Paul's unit advise Annie to do when she meets him about a week after Andrew's surgery?
4. What does Andrew tell Annie after talking to a soldier who served with Uncle Paul?
5. The morning after Annie's second visit to St. John's, what news do Annie and her grandmother learn?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)