|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Annie begin to realize about her mother and her mother's behavior after her second visit to St. John's?
(a) Her mother is irrational.
(b) Her mother ignores things that are unpleasant.
(c) Her mother's dislike of anything that relates to the war must influence her mother's behavior.
(d) Her mother needs to talk about the war.
2. What had Andrew considered doing shortly after he was injured?
(a) Leaving the army without permission.
(b) Killing himself.
(c) Work hard so he could get back to the fighting.
(d) Study to become a doctor and help others who were severely injured.
3. Who tells Annie how Uncle Paul died?
(a) Her father.
(d) A lieutenant who served under Uncle Paul.
4. Who does Annie's mother invite to dinner before Andrew leaves?
(a) Andrew and Ruth.
(b) Andrew and his parents.
(c) Annie's grandparents.
(d) Andrew and Timothy.
5. Before Grandfather goes on the trip with Grandmother and Annie's mother, why does Annie tell him not to worry?
(a) She will visit Timothy and read to him.
(b) She will write him frequently.
(c) She will be fine at home alone.
(d) She will look after the chickens.
6. Why does Annie write a letter to her grandfather after her third visit to St. John's?
(a) To ask Grandfather if he is feeling better.
(b) To find out when Grandfather will be returning home.
(c) To ask if Uncle Paul received a Purple Heart.
(d) To pass on a message from her father.
7. About a week after Andrew's surgery, to whom does Andrew introduce Annie?
(a) The doctor who performed Andrew's surgery.
(b) A soldier who served with Uncle Paul.
(c) Andrew's father.
(d) A soldier from Andrew's unit.
8. The day after Annie visits St. John's for a second time, Annie's mother decides to take a trip. Where is she going?
(a) To stay at Annie's grandparents' home.
(b) New York City.
(c) To Ruth's house.
(d) Estes Park, Colorado.
9. What reunites Annie and her mother after their argument when Annie's mother returned from her trip?
(a) Annie's mother allowing her to visit the hospital again.
(b) Annie plants rose bushes to replace the ones she ruined.
(c) Annie's grandmother talks to both of them and helps them mend their differences.
(d) Learning how Uncle Paul died.
10. Why doesn't Andrew's father visit him?
(a) His car broke down.
(b) He didn't want Andrew to enlist.
(c) He can't bear to see Andrew's injuries.
(d) He's handicapped and cannot visit Andrew.
11. Why doesn't Annie visit the hospital a few days after she receives Grandfather's letter?
(a) Andrew asked her not to visit.
(b) Her father told her to stay home.
(c) She has to see Ruth at the library.
(d) Andrew is having medical tests.
12. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, what does she wonder about her mother's views?
(a) Why she and her mother don't spend more time together.
(b) Why music is such a large part of her mother's life.
(c) Why her mother is so tired.
(d) Why her mother is so opposed to to St. John's and the men there.
13. Why is Annie so angry with her mother as they drive away from St. John's after Annie's second visit?
(a) She wanted to get ice cream before they went home.
(b) She had wanted to come home with Father.
(c) Annie was just beginning to get to know Andrew and her mother had ruined it all.
(d) She wanted to come home on the trolley.
14. On Annie's third visit to St. John's, how does Andrew respond when Annie attempts to apologize?
(a) He tells her not to worry about what happened.
(b) He gets angry.
(c) He dismisses her apology.
(d) He struggles to hold back tears.
15. Why does Annie's mother not want Annie to visit St. John's for a third time?
(a) She does not want Annie exposed to all the ugliness.
(b) She doesn't think Annie will be able to get all her chores done.
(c) Because Annie needs to go to Bible School.
(d) Because Annie is supposed to be helping Grandmother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Annie's mother and her Uncle John go the evening after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
2. How will Annie find out if the surgery is a success?
3. Why are Annie's days a flurry of activity now that her mother has been gone for awhile?
4. What is the outcome of Andrew's surgery?
5. After Grandfather sends a letter about Uncle Paul's medals, what does Annie decide to do?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)