|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Annie and her mother do when they get home after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
(a) They talk to Annie's grandmother.
(b) Annie's mother plays the piano and Annie sings.
(c) Eat supper silently.
(d) Read together.
2. About a week after Andrew's surgery, to whom does Andrew introduce Annie?
(a) A soldier from Andrew's unit.
(b) A soldier who served with Uncle Paul.
(c) Andrew's father.
(d) The doctor who performed Andrew's surgery.
3. After Annie's mother leaves on the trip with her grandparents, why is Annie nervous about telling her father she wants to go to St. John's?
(a) She is afraid he will not want her going to St. John's by herself.
(b) She is afraid that her mother told him that Annie is not allowed to visit.
(c) She is afraid he will not want her to visit.
(d) She is afraid that he will think she does not have time to visit.
4. As Armistice Day approaches, what bothers Annie about the war memorial?
(a) That Uncle Paul's name will not be on it.
(b) That Uncle Paul's name will be on it even though he did not die a hero.
(c) That Andrew will not get to see the memorial completed.
(d) That it is so expensive.
5. What happens the evening after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
(a) Annie's father was in an accident.
(b) Annie's mother hurt her hand.
(c) Uncle John was in an accident.
(d) Annie's grandfather is very sick.
6. Why does Annie's mother not want Annie to visit St. John's for a third time?
(a) She doesn't think Annie will be able to get all her chores done.
(b) She does not want Annie exposed to all the ugliness.
(c) Because Annie is supposed to be helping Grandmother.
(d) Because Annie needs to go to Bible School.
7. What grade is Annie in this school year?
(a) Tenth Grade.
(b) Ninth grade.
(c) Eleventh grade.
(d) Eighth grade.
8. Who tells Annie how Uncle Paul died?
(a) A lieutenant who served under Uncle Paul.
(c) Her father.
9. How are Annie and her mother getting along now that her mother and her grandparents have returned from their trip?
(a) Their relationship is better than it ever has been.
(b) They're planning on going to the hospital together.
(c) They are glad to be back together.
(d) There is tension between them.
10. Why does Mrs. Crayton visit Annie after school starts?
(a) To thank her for helping Andrew to recover.
(b) To introduce her to Mr. Crayton.
(c) To ask her to visit her and Andrew at their home.
(d) To introduce her to Andrew's siblings.
11. What does Andrew tell Annie after talking to a soldier who served with Uncle Paul?
(a) Uncle Paul's unit was not in action until June 14, eight days after Uncle Paul died.
(b) Uncle Paul's unit was not in action the entire month of June.
(c) No one can remember when Uncle Paul's unit was in action.
(d) Uncle Paul's unit was in action on June 6.
12. What will be done for Timothy's condition soon?
(a) His bandages will be removed.
(b) The doctors will use a new salve on his eyes.
(c) He will have an operation.
(d) He will learn Braille.
13. What does Andrew tell Annie about researching Uncle Paul's death?
(a) That it may be difficult to find out what really happened.
(b) To have her father help her research Uncle Paul's death.
(c) She may learn some unpleasant news about Uncle Paul's death.
(d) That she will need to contact Uncle Paul's commanding officer for more information.
14. How will Annie find out if the surgery is a success?
(a) She will find out when she visits again.
(b) Timothy will call her after the surgery.
(c) Her father will call her from the hospital.
(d) One of the nuns will call her after the surgery.
15. The day after Annie visits St. John's for a second time, Annie's mother decides to take a trip. Where is she going?
(a) To stay at Annie's grandparents' home.
(b) New York City.
(c) Estes Park, Colorado.
(d) To Ruth's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Andrew's home?
2. Where did Uncle Paul die, according to Lieutenant McFarland?
3. Why didn't Uncle Paul die in battle on June 6?
4. Why is Annie happy when she goes home the evening that she and Father go to St. John's?
5. How does Annie's father learn how Uncle Paul died?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)