|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On her third visit to St. John's, why does Annie try to apologize to Andrew?
(a) Because her mother was so rude.
(b) Because she didn't bring anything to read to him.
(c) Because she forgot to bring cookies.
(d) Because she ran away the first day she met him.
2. It is almost time for Annie's mother to return home. What season of the year is ending?
3. On Annie's third visit to St. John's, how does Andrew respond when Annie attempts to apologize?
(a) He struggles to hold back tears.
(b) He tells her not to worry about what happened.
(c) He dismisses her apology.
(d) He gets angry.
4. Annie is allowed to visit St. John's again, but now Andrew is busy. What is Andrew doing at the hospital that keeps him busy?
(a) Custodial work.
(b) Playing baseball.
(c) Yard work.
(d) Doing physical therapy with some of the patients.
5. About a week after Andrew's surgery, to whom does Andrew introduce Annie?
(a) The doctor who performed Andrew's surgery.
(b) A soldier from Andrew's unit.
(c) Andrew's father.
(d) A soldier who served with Uncle Paul.
6. After Annie learns how Uncle Paul died, why does she feel guilty?
(a) The pain she caused investigating Uncle Paul's death.
(b) She has been too busy to get together with friends.
(c) She visited St. John's all summer without her mother's permission.
(d) She does not have as much time to visit Andrew as she would like.
7. What bothers Andrew about the special celebration to be held on Armistice Day?
(a) That he has to participate in the celebration.
(b) That it is his last day in Kansas City.
(c) That veterans from St. John's are not asked to participate.
(d) That Timothy will not be there to celebrate with them.
8. The day after Annie visits St. John's for a second time, Annie's mother decides to take a trip. Where is she going?
(a) To Ruth's house.
(b) To stay at Annie's grandparents' home.
(c) Estes Park, Colorado.
(d) New York City.
9. What will be done for Timothy's condition soon?
(a) He will have an operation.
(b) He will learn Braille.
(c) His bandages will be removed.
(d) The doctors will use a new salve on his eyes.
10. Where did Uncle Paul die, according to Lieutenant McFarland?
(a) Passchendaele Ridge.
(c) Belleau Woods.
(d) Argonne Woods.
11. Why are Annie's days a flurry of activity now that her mother has been gone for awhile?
(a) She has many chores to do at home and she visits Andrew every day.
(b) She helps Ruth at the library.
(c) She gets together with friends every day.
(d) She is taking a summer school class.
12. Why can't Annie hide the fact that she's been visiting St. John's from her mother any longer?
(a) Someone calls her mother and tells her that Annie has been at the hospital.
(b) Annie's father informs her mother that Annie has been at the hospital.
(c) Her mother is home.
(d) A neighbor tells Annie's mother that Annie has been at the hospital.
13. Why doesn't Annie visit the hospital a few days after she receives Grandfather's letter?
(a) Her father told her to stay home.
(b) She has to see Ruth at the library.
(c) Andrew is having medical tests.
(d) Andrew asked her not to visit.
14. Why does Annie's mother not want Annie to visit St. John's for a third time?
(a) She does not want Annie exposed to all the ugliness.
(b) Because Annie needs to go to Bible School.
(c) Because Annie is supposed to be helping Grandmother.
(d) She doesn't think Annie will be able to get all her chores done.
15. Why, over the course of the summer, has Andrew's condition improved?
(a) His father visits daily.
(b) The doctors are finding better ways to treat his condition.
(c) His friendship with Annie.
(d) The camaraderie of his fellow soldiers is helping him to have a more positive attitude.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Annie and her mother avoiding each other the evening after her mother returns from her trip?
2. Who tells Annie how Uncle Paul died?
3. As the days pass since her grandparents and mother left, what does Annie begin to dread?
4. How are Annie and her mother getting along now that her mother and her grandparents have returned from their trip?
5. What does Andrew appreciate about Annie?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)