|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although Annie is busy this summer and enjoying herself, why does she have times when she feels guilty?
(a) She burned her father's dinner.
(b) She isn't getting all the chores done at home.
(c) She doesn't have time to check on her grandparents home.
(d) She is visiting St. John's even though her mother ordered her not to go there.
2. Why didn't Andrew enjoy going to school when he was a boy?
(a) He got bad grades.
(b) He didn't like sitting still.
(c) He didn't like his teachers.
(d) His best friend went to a different school.
3. What does Grandfather say in his letter about Uncle Paul's medals?
(a) Uncle Paul did not receive a Purple Heart.
(b) Uncle Paul received a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart.
(c) Uncle Paul received a Purple Heart.
(d) Uncle Paul received a Good Conduct Medal.
4. Where did Uncle Paul die, according to Lieutenant McFarland?
(a) Passchendaele Ridge.
(b) Argonne Woods.
(d) Belleau Woods.
5. What medal did Andrew receive?
(a) Purple Heart.
(b) A letter of commendation.
(c) Distinguished Service Medal.
(d) Bronze Star.
6. What does Annie begin to realize about her mother and her mother's behavior after her second visit to St. John's?
(a) Her mother needs to talk about the war.
(b) Her mother ignores things that are unpleasant.
(c) Her mother is irrational.
(d) Her mother's dislike of anything that relates to the war must influence her mother's behavior.
7. Why didn't Uncle Paul die in battle on June 6?
(a) The army listed the wrong date in the telegram sent to Annie's family.
(b) He wasn't in France on June 6.
(c) He was in Britain on June 6.
(d) His unit didn't fight a battle until June 14.
8. How does Annie feel about staying home and not going on a trip with Mother and her grandparents?
(a) She is pleased.
(b) She is angry that she was not allowed to go.
(c) She is sad.
(d) She is lonely.
9. According to Annie, what did Uncle Paul earn for his service in the Army?
(a) Medals for courage.
(b) A commendation.
(c) An Iron Cross.
(d) A Purple Heart.
10. The day after Annie visits St. John's for a second time, Annie's mother decides to take a trip. Where is she going?
(a) New York City.
(b) To stay at Annie's grandparents' home.
(c) Estes Park, Colorado.
(d) To Ruth's house.
11. Why is Annie happy when she goes home the evening that she and Father go to St. John's?
(a) Her father asked her to assist him.
(b) The nuns are very pleased with her work.
(c) Everyone at St. John's enjoys her cookies.
(d) Andrew kisses the top of her head.
12. Why doesn't Andrew's father visit him?
(a) He didn't want Andrew to enlist.
(b) He's handicapped and cannot visit Andrew.
(c) His car broke down.
(d) He can't bear to see Andrew's injuries.
13. Why are Annie and her mother avoiding each other the evening after her mother returns from her trip?
(a) Because Annie's mother won't allow her to visit friends.
(b) Because Annie spilled water on her mother's piano.
(c) Because of their disagreement over Annie's visits to the hospital.
(d) Because Annie ruined her mother's rose garden.
14. Before Grandfather goes on the trip with Grandmother and Annie's mother, why does Annie tell him not to worry?
(a) She will look after the chickens.
(b) She will be fine at home alone.
(c) She will visit Timothy and read to him.
(d) She will write him frequently.
15. After Annie learns how Uncle Paul died, why does she feel guilty?
(a) She has been too busy to get together with friends.
(b) She visited St. John's all summer without her mother's permission.
(c) The pain she caused investigating Uncle Paul's death.
(d) She does not have as much time to visit Andrew as she would like.
Short Answer Questions
1. How will Annie find out if the surgery is a success?
2. The day after receiving Grandfather's letter, who does Annie meet at the hospital?
3. Who does Annie's mother invite to dinner before Andrew leaves?
4. After arguing with her mother about St. John's, Annie goes to her room to think. What interrupts Annie's thoughts?
5. When and where did Uncle Paul die?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)