|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Annie's mother finally allow Annie to continue visiting St. John's even though Annie lied when her mother was gone on her trip?
(a) Annie's grandfather asks her to reconsider.
(b) Andrew calls Annie's mother and asks if she can visit again.
(c) Ruth convinces Annie's mother to allow Annie to visit.
(d) Annie's father convinces her of the importance of Annie's visits to the soldiers.
2. According to Annie, what did Uncle Paul earn for his service in the Army?
(a) A Purple Heart.
(b) An Iron Cross.
(c) Medals for courage.
(d) A commendation.
3. After arguing with her mother about St. John's, Annie goes to her room to think. What interrupts Annie's thoughts?
(a) Her mother's voice and noises in the house.
(b) Her grandmother comes over.
(c) Her father comes home.
(d) Her mother asks her to listen to a new piece of music.
4. As the days pass since her grandparents and mother left, what does Annie begin to dread?
(a) Learning more about Uncle Paul's death.
(b) The beginning of another school year.
(c) Her mother's return.
(d) Visiting Andrew and Timothy.
5. What happens the evening after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
(a) Annie's father was in an accident.
(b) Annie's grandfather is very sick.
(c) Uncle John was in an accident.
(d) Annie's mother hurt her hand.
6. What does Andrew tell Annie after talking to a soldier who served with Uncle Paul?
(a) Uncle Paul's unit was not in action the entire month of June.
(b) Uncle Paul's unit was not in action until June 14, eight days after Uncle Paul died.
(c) Uncle Paul's unit was in action on June 6.
(d) No one can remember when Uncle Paul's unit was in action.
7. What does Annie do each day now that her mother has been gone for a few days?
(a) Go to the library to see Ruth.
(b) Visit friends.
(c) Play the piano.
(d) Visit St. John's to see Andrew and help the nuns.
8. After Annie's mother leaves on the trip with her grandparents, why is Annie nervous about telling her father she wants to go to St. John's?
(a) She is afraid that her mother told him that Annie is not allowed to visit.
(b) She is afraid he will not want her to visit.
(c) She is afraid he will not want her going to St. John's by herself.
(d) She is afraid that he will think she does not have time to visit.
9. After Grandfather sends a letter about Uncle Paul's medals, what does Annie decide to do?
(a) Learn more about Andrew's service record.
(b) Continue visting St. John's.
(c) Learn how Timothy was injured.
(d) Learn more about Uncle Paul's death and the missing medal.
10. Why is there a conflict between Annie's parents now that Mrs. Metcalf has returned from her trip?
(a) That Annie's father allowed her to visit the hospital daily.
(b) That Annie didn't attend Sunday School while her mother was gone.
(c) That Annie didn't keep up with the household chores while her mother was gone.
(d) That Annie's father still refuses to work at the county hospital.
11. What medal did Andrew receive?
(a) Distinguished Service Medal.
(b) Purple Heart.
(c) A letter of commendation.
(d) Bronze Star.
12. Why is Andrew having surgery?
(a) Repair his damaged mouth.
(b) Repair his nose.
(c) Remove the damaged skin from his torso.
(d) Repair his jaw.
13. Why is Annie so angry with her mother as they drive away from St. John's after Annie's second visit?
(a) Annie was just beginning to get to know Andrew and her mother had ruined it all.
(b) She wanted to come home on the trolley.
(c) She wanted to get ice cream before they went home.
(d) She had wanted to come home with Father.
14. The day after receiving Grandfather's letter, who does Annie meet at the hospital?
(a) Andrew's siblings.
(b) Mrs. Lewis, Timothy's mother.
(c) Mrs. Crayton, Andrew's mother.
(d) Mr. Lewis, Timothy's father.
15. How was Andrew injured?
(a) The gas tank of the vehicle he was riding was in exploded.
(b) A grenade was thrown into the trench where he waited.
(c) He lost his gas mask and couldn't protect himself from an attack of mustard gas.
(d) He was in a building that exploded.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Crayton visits Annie after school begins. What does she give Annie?
2. Why is Annie happy when she goes home the evening that she and Father go to St. John's?
3. Why are Annie's days a flurry of activity now that her mother has been gone for awhile?
4. Why is the date of Uncle Paul's death in question?
5. What did a soldier tell Annie's family when he informed them that Uncle Paul had died?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)