|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The day after Annie visits St. John's for a second time, Annie's mother decides to take a trip. Where is she going?
(a) Estes Park, Colorado.
(b) New York City.
(c) To stay at Annie's grandparents' home.
(d) To Ruth's house.
2. After Annie's mother leaves on the trip with her grandparents, why is Annie nervous about telling her father she wants to go to St. John's?
(a) She is afraid that her mother told him that Annie is not allowed to visit.
(b) She is afraid that he will think she does not have time to visit.
(c) She is afraid he will not want her going to St. John's by herself.
(d) She is afraid he will not want her to visit.
3. On Annie's third visit to St. John's, how does Andrew respond when Annie attempts to apologize?
(a) He gets angry.
(b) He dismisses her apology.
(c) He tells her not to worry about what happened.
(d) He struggles to hold back tears.
4. After arguing with her mother about St. John's, Annie goes to her room to think. What interrupts Annie's thoughts?
(a) Her mother's voice and noises in the house.
(b) Her grandmother comes over.
(c) Her father comes home.
(d) Her mother asks her to listen to a new piece of music.
5. What is the setting in Chapters 13 and 14?
(b) The park.
(c) Annie's home and St. John's hospital.
(d) Annie's grandparents' house.
6. Before the dinner party, what does Ruth encourage Annie to do?
(a) Take more difficult classes at school.
(b) Remember Uncle Paul as he was and not focus on how he died.
(c) Write to Andrew.
(d) Get a part-time job at the hospital.
7. Why does Annie's mother not want Annie to visit St. John's for a third time?
(a) Because Annie needs to go to Bible School.
(b) She does not want Annie exposed to all the ugliness.
(c) Because Annie is supposed to be helping Grandmother.
(d) She doesn't think Annie will be able to get all her chores done.
8. Why does Mrs. Crayton visit Annie after school starts?
(a) To introduce her to Mr. Crayton.
(b) To introduce her to Andrew's siblings.
(c) To ask her to visit her and Andrew at their home.
(d) To thank her for helping Andrew to recover.
9. Why does Annie write a letter to her grandfather after her third visit to St. John's?
(a) To ask Grandfather if he is feeling better.
(b) To ask if Uncle Paul received a Purple Heart.
(c) To pass on a message from her father.
(d) To find out when Grandfather will be returning home.
10. Although Annie is busy this summer and enjoying herself, why does she have times when she feels guilty?
(a) She doesn't have time to check on her grandparents home.
(b) She is visiting St. John's even though her mother ordered her not to go there.
(c) She isn't getting all the chores done at home.
(d) She burned her father's dinner.
11. According to Annie, what did Uncle Paul earn for his service in the Army?
(a) A commendation.
(b) A Purple Heart.
(c) Medals for courage.
(d) An Iron Cross.
12. What do Annie and her mother do when they get home after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
(a) Annie's mother plays the piano and Annie sings.
(b) Eat supper silently.
(c) Read together.
(d) They talk to Annie's grandmother.
13. How did Annie's friendship help Andrew?
(a) She encouraged friends to visit Andrew.
(b) She helped him to become more self-confident and take chances again.
(c) She persuaded her father to help him get a job.
(d) She helped him to be able to look in a mirror again.
14. How was Andrew injured?
(a) The gas tank of the vehicle he was riding was in exploded.
(b) He was in a building that exploded.
(c) He lost his gas mask and couldn't protect himself from an attack of mustard gas.
(d) A grenade was thrown into the trench where he waited.
15. What does Annie do with her newfound freedom while her mother and her grandparents are gone on their trip?
(a) She goes to the library.
(b) She invites friends over to her house.
(c) She does chores and visits St. John's.
(d) She goes back to Bible School.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Annie's mother invite to dinner before Andrew leaves?
2. Where did Uncle Paul die, according to Lieutenant McFarland?
3. Why is there a conflict between Annie's parents now that Mrs. Metcalf has returned from her trip?
4. Why didn't Uncle Paul die in battle on June 6?
5. What did a soldier tell Annie's family when he informed them that Uncle Paul had died?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)