|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Annie how Uncle Paul died?
(b) A lieutenant who served under Uncle Paul.
(d) Her father.
2. Why doesn't Annie's mother wish to discuss the war or its aftermath?
(a) She thinks America should not have been involved in the war.
(b) She is a pacifist and is against war.
(c) She doesn't like to think about the injured, dying, or dead soldiers.
(d) Talking about the war reminds her of Uncle Paul's death.
3. After Annie learns how Uncle Paul died, why does she feel guilty?
(a) She does not have as much time to visit Andrew as she would like.
(b) She visited St. John's all summer without her mother's permission.
(c) She has been too busy to get together with friends.
(d) The pain she caused investigating Uncle Paul's death.
4. What medal did Andrew receive?
(a) A letter of commendation.
(b) Bronze Star.
(c) Purple Heart.
(d) Distinguished Service Medal.
5. Why does Annie's mother not want Annie to visit St. John's for a third time?
(a) She doesn't think Annie will be able to get all her chores done.
(b) Because Annie needs to go to Bible School.
(c) She does not want Annie exposed to all the ugliness.
(d) Because Annie is supposed to be helping Grandmother.
6. What reunites Annie and her mother after their argument when Annie's mother returned from her trip?
(a) Annie's mother allowing her to visit the hospital again.
(b) Learning how Uncle Paul died.
(c) Annie plants rose bushes to replace the ones she ruined.
(d) Annie's grandmother talks to both of them and helps them mend their differences.
7. Why is Andrew having surgery?
(a) Repair his nose.
(b) Remove the damaged skin from his torso.
(c) Repair his damaged mouth.
(d) Repair his jaw.
8. Why is the date of Uncle Paul's death in question?
(a) The war was over before that date.
(b) Andrew doesn't think there was front line fighting that day.
(c) There was no fighting in France in June.
(d) The telegram the family received has a different date than the date on the death certificate.
9. Why doesn't Annie visit the hospital a few days after she receives Grandfather's letter?
(a) Her father told her to stay home.
(b) She has to see Ruth at the library.
(c) Andrew is having medical tests.
(d) Andrew asked her not to visit.
10. About a week after Andrew's surgery, to whom does Andrew introduce Annie?
(a) Andrew's father.
(b) A soldier who served with Uncle Paul.
(c) The doctor who performed Andrew's surgery.
(d) A soldier from Andrew's unit.
11. How are Annie and her mother getting along now that her mother and her grandparents have returned from their trip?
(a) Their relationship is better than it ever has been.
(b) There is tension between them.
(c) They are glad to be back together.
(d) They're planning on going to the hospital together.
12. How did Annie's friendship help Andrew?
(a) She persuaded her father to help him get a job.
(b) She encouraged friends to visit Andrew.
(c) She helped him to be able to look in a mirror again.
(d) She helped him to become more self-confident and take chances again.
13. About a week after Andrew's surgery, Annie goes to St. John's earlier than usual. What good news does she hear?
(a) Annie has a job working at the library.
(b) Annie has been asked to volunteer at the hospital.
(c) Timothy has regained his sight.
(d) There is a new treatment for Andrew's injuries.
14. What happens the evening after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
(a) Annie's mother hurt her hand.
(b) Annie's grandfather is very sick.
(c) Uncle John was in an accident.
(d) Annie's father was in an accident.
15. The morning after Annie's second visit to St. John's, what news do Annie and her grandmother learn?
(a) Annie's father is very sick.
(b) Annie's grandfather died at the hospital.
(c) Annie's grandfather has cancer.
(d) Annie's grandfather has had a heart attack, but will live.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Annie so angry with her mother as they drive away from St. John's after Annie's second visit?
2. When and where did Uncle Paul die?
3. What will be done for Timothy's condition soon?
4. How does Annie's father learn how Uncle Paul died?
5. According to Annie, what did Uncle Paul earn for his service in the Army?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)