|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Annie do with her newfound freedom while her mother and her grandparents are gone on their trip?
(a) She does chores and visits St. John's.
(b) She goes back to Bible School.
(c) She goes to the library.
(d) She invites friends over to her house.
2. How did Uncle Paul die?
(c) He was packing hand grenades and one exploded.
(d) A gun discharged in his tent and wounded him fatally.
3. What did a soldier tell Annie's family when he informed them that Uncle Paul had died?
(a) Uncle Paul was a hero and an example for his men.
(b) Uncle Paul was a deserter.
(c) Uncle Paul was wounded by friendly fire.
(d) Uncle Paul was captured by the Germans and killed.
4. Who does Annie's mother invite to dinner before Andrew leaves?
(a) Andrew and Timothy.
(b) Andrew and Ruth.
(c) Annie's grandparents.
(d) Andrew and his parents.
5. What is the outcome of Andrew's surgery?
(a) It is successful with no complications.
(b) He had a bad reaction to the anesthesia.
(c) There are complications and he will need another surgery.
(d) An infection has set in and he will have to have another surgery.
6. How does Annie's father learn how Uncle Paul died?
(a) Annie tells him.
(b) Andrew tells him.
(c) Timothy tells him.
(d) Grandfather tells him.
7. Why is Andrew having surgery?
(a) Repair his jaw.
(b) Repair his damaged mouth.
(c) Repair his nose.
(d) Remove the damaged skin from his torso.
8. On her third visit to St. John's, why does Annie try to apologize to Andrew?
(a) Because she ran away the first day she met him.
(b) Because she forgot to bring cookies.
(c) Because she didn't bring anything to read to him.
(d) Because her mother was so rude.
9. Why, over the course of the summer, has Andrew's condition improved?
(a) The doctors are finding better ways to treat his condition.
(b) His father visits daily.
(c) His friendship with Annie.
(d) The camaraderie of his fellow soldiers is helping him to have a more positive attitude.
10. Why does Annie's mother finally allow Annie to continue visiting St. John's even though Annie lied when her mother was gone on her trip?
(a) Annie's father convinces her of the importance of Annie's visits to the soldiers.
(b) Ruth convinces Annie's mother to allow Annie to visit.
(c) Andrew calls Annie's mother and asks if she can visit again.
(d) Annie's grandfather asks her to reconsider.
11. Why is Annie happy when she goes home the evening that she and Father go to St. John's?
(a) Her father asked her to assist him.
(b) Andrew kisses the top of her head.
(c) Everyone at St. John's enjoys her cookies.
(d) The nuns are very pleased with her work.
12. What does Andrew tell Annie about researching Uncle Paul's death?
(a) She may learn some unpleasant news about Uncle Paul's death.
(b) That she will need to contact Uncle Paul's commanding officer for more information.
(c) To have her father help her research Uncle Paul's death.
(d) That it may be difficult to find out what really happened.
13. How are Annie and her mother getting along now that her mother and her grandparents have returned from their trip?
(a) Their relationship is better than it ever has been.
(b) They're planning on going to the hospital together.
(c) There is tension between them.
(d) They are glad to be back together.
14. Annie is back in school now. Where is Andrew going soon?
(a) To work in a veteran's hospital in Topeka.
(b) To work for his father.
(c) Back to school.
(d) To his grandparents' home.
15. Why are Annie's days a flurry of activity now that her mother has been gone for awhile?
(a) She helps Ruth at the library.
(b) She has many chores to do at home and she visits Andrew every day.
(c) She gets together with friends every day.
(d) She is taking a summer school class.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Uncle Paul die, according to Lieutenant McFarland?
2. On Annie's third visit to St. John's, how does Andrew respond when Annie attempts to apologize?
3. How was Andrew injured?
4. What does Grandfather say in his letter about Uncle Paul's medals?
5. Why didn't Uncle Paul die in battle on June 6?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)