|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't Annie hide the fact that she's been visiting St. John's from her mother any longer?
(a) Someone calls her mother and tells her that Annie has been at the hospital.
(b) Her mother is home.
(c) Annie's father informs her mother that Annie has been at the hospital.
(d) A neighbor tells Annie's mother that Annie has been at the hospital.
2. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, what does she wonder about her mother's views?
(a) Why her mother is so opposed to to St. John's and the men there.
(b) Why music is such a large part of her mother's life.
(c) Why her mother is so tired.
(d) Why she and her mother don't spend more time together.
3. Before Grandfather goes on the trip with Grandmother and Annie's mother, why does Annie tell him not to worry?
(a) She will visit Timothy and read to him.
(b) She will be fine at home alone.
(c) She will write him frequently.
(d) She will look after the chickens.
4. Who does Annie's mother invite to dinner before Andrew leaves?
(a) Annie's grandparents.
(b) Andrew and his parents.
(c) Andrew and Timothy.
(d) Andrew and Ruth.
5. What did a soldier tell Annie's family when he informed them that Uncle Paul had died?
(a) Uncle Paul was a hero and an example for his men.
(b) Uncle Paul was wounded by friendly fire.
(c) Uncle Paul was captured by the Germans and killed.
(d) Uncle Paul was a deserter.
6. Why does Annie write a letter to her grandfather after her third visit to St. John's?
(a) To pass on a message from her father.
(b) To ask if Uncle Paul received a Purple Heart.
(c) To find out when Grandfather will be returning home.
(d) To ask Grandfather if he is feeling better.
7. What does one of the soldiers from Uncle Paul's unit advise Annie to do when she meets him about a week after Andrew's surgery?
(a) Stop researching Uncle Paul's death.
(b) Look through Uncle Paul's belongings.
(c) Write Uncle Paul's commanding officer.
(d) Talk to other men in Uncle Paul's unit.
8. Where do Annie's mother and her Uncle John go the evening after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
(a) To the library.
(b) To find Annie's father.
(c) To Annie's grandparents' home.
(d) To the hospital.
9. After Annie's mother leaves on the trip with her grandparents, why is Annie nervous about telling her father she wants to go to St. John's?
(a) She is afraid he will not want her going to St. John's by herself.
(b) She is afraid that he will think she does not have time to visit.
(c) She is afraid that her mother told him that Annie is not allowed to visit.
(d) She is afraid he will not want her to visit.
10. Why does Annie's mother finally allow Annie to continue visiting St. John's even though Annie lied when her mother was gone on her trip?
(a) Ruth convinces Annie's mother to allow Annie to visit.
(b) Andrew calls Annie's mother and asks if she can visit again.
(c) Annie's father convinces her of the importance of Annie's visits to the soldiers.
(d) Annie's grandfather asks her to reconsider.
11. What does Andrew appreciate about Annie?
(a) That she bakes delicious cookies.
(b) That she is his friend and doesn't look away when she sees him.
(c) That she visits daily.
(d) Her ability to play the piano.
12. Where did Uncle Paul die, according to Lieutenant McFarland?
(b) Passchendaele Ridge.
(c) Argonne Woods.
(d) Belleau Woods.
13. How does Annie feel about staying home and not going on a trip with Mother and her grandparents?
(a) She is lonely.
(b) She is sad.
(c) She is pleased.
(d) She is angry that she was not allowed to go.
14. Why is Annie happy when she goes home the evening that she and Father go to St. John's?
(a) Everyone at St. John's enjoys her cookies.
(b) Her father asked her to assist him.
(c) Andrew kisses the top of her head.
(d) The nuns are very pleased with her work.
15. What reunites Annie and her mother after their argument when Annie's mother returned from her trip?
(a) Learning how Uncle Paul died.
(b) Annie plants rose bushes to replace the ones she ruined.
(c) Annie's mother allowing her to visit the hospital again.
(d) Annie's grandmother talks to both of them and helps them mend their differences.
Short Answer Questions
1. About a week after Andrew's surgery, Annie goes to St. John's earlier than usual. What good news does she hear?
2. What happens the evening after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
3. What grade is Annie in this school year?
4. Why doesn't Annie visit the hospital a few days after she receives Grandfather's letter?
5. What does Annie do each day now that her mother has been gone for a few days?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)