|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Crayton visit Annie after school starts?
(a) To ask her to visit her and Andrew at their home.
(b) To introduce her to Andrew's siblings.
(c) To introduce her to Mr. Crayton.
(d) To thank her for helping Andrew to recover.
2. According to Ruth, why did Andrew, Uncle Paul, and other young men enlist in the war?
(a) They wanted to get away from home.
(b) They wanted to serve their country.
(c) It was exciting to think of becoming a soldier.
(d) They liked to fight and shoot guns.
3. Mrs. Crayton visits Annie after school begins. What does she give Annie?
(a) A book of maps.
(b) A pre-war photograph of Andrew.
(d) A novel Annie has been wanting to read.
4. Where did Uncle Paul die, according to Lieutenant McFarland?
(a) Belleau Woods.
(c) Passchendaele Ridge.
(d) Argonne Woods.
5. What will be done for Timothy's condition soon?
(a) His bandages will be removed.
(b) He will have an operation.
(c) He will learn Braille.
(d) The doctors will use a new salve on his eyes.
6. Why didn't Uncle Paul die in battle on June 6?
(a) He wasn't in France on June 6.
(b) He was in Britain on June 6.
(c) The army listed the wrong date in the telegram sent to Annie's family.
(d) His unit didn't fight a battle until June 14.
7. Why does Annie's mother finally allow Annie to continue visiting St. John's even though Annie lied when her mother was gone on her trip?
(a) Annie's grandfather asks her to reconsider.
(b) Andrew calls Annie's mother and asks if she can visit again.
(c) Ruth convinces Annie's mother to allow Annie to visit.
(d) Annie's father convinces her of the importance of Annie's visits to the soldiers.
8. Why are Annie and her mother avoiding each other the evening after her mother returns from her trip?
(a) Because of their disagreement over Annie's visits to the hospital.
(b) Because Annie's mother won't allow her to visit friends.
(c) Because Annie ruined her mother's rose garden.
(d) Because Annie spilled water on her mother's piano.
9. What had Andrew considered doing shortly after he was injured?
(a) Killing himself.
(b) Leaving the army without permission.
(c) Work hard so he could get back to the fighting.
(d) Study to become a doctor and help others who were severely injured.
10. About a week after Andrew's surgery, Annie goes to St. John's earlier than usual. What good news does she hear?
(a) Annie has been asked to volunteer at the hospital.
(b) Timothy has regained his sight.
(c) Annie has a job working at the library.
(d) There is a new treatment for Andrew's injuries.
11. As Armistice Day approaches, what bothers Annie about the war memorial?
(a) That Uncle Paul's name will not be on it.
(b) That Uncle Paul's name will be on it even though he did not die a hero.
(c) That Andrew will not get to see the memorial completed.
(d) That it is so expensive.
12. What does Andrew appreciate about Annie?
(a) That she visits daily.
(b) That she is his friend and doesn't look away when she sees him.
(c) That she bakes delicious cookies.
(d) Her ability to play the piano.
13. How will Annie find out if the surgery is a success?
(a) One of the nuns will call her after the surgery.
(b) She will find out when she visits again.
(c) Timothy will call her after the surgery.
(d) Her father will call her from the hospital.
14. Why didn't Andrew enjoy going to school when he was a boy?
(a) He got bad grades.
(b) He didn't like his teachers.
(c) His best friend went to a different school.
(d) He didn't like sitting still.
15. On Annie's third visit to St. John's, who do Annie and Andrew talk about?
(a) Annie's grandfather.
(b) Uncle Paul.
(c) Annie's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Annie feel about staying home and not going on a trip with Mother and her grandparents?
2. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, what does she wonder about her mother's views?
3. After Grandfather sends a letter about Uncle Paul's medals, what does Annie decide to do?
4. The morning after Annie's second visit to St. John's, what news do Annie and her grandmother learn?
5. After Annie learns how Uncle Paul died, why does she feel guilty?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)