|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the outcome of Andrew's surgery?
(a) An infection has set in and he will have to have another surgery.
(b) There are complications and he will need another surgery.
(c) He had a bad reaction to the anesthesia.
(d) It is successful with no complications.
2. How does Annie's father learn how Uncle Paul died?
(a) Timothy tells him.
(b) Andrew tells him.
(c) Grandfather tells him.
(d) Annie tells him.
3. The morning after Annie's second visit to St. John's, what news do Annie and her grandmother learn?
(a) Annie's grandfather died at the hospital.
(b) Annie's grandfather has cancer.
(c) Annie's father is very sick.
(d) Annie's grandfather has had a heart attack, but will live.
4. What had Andrew considered doing shortly after he was injured?
(a) Killing himself.
(b) Study to become a doctor and help others who were severely injured.
(c) Work hard so he could get back to the fighting.
(d) Leaving the army without permission.
5. Where is Andrew's home?
(a) A farm in a nearby town.
(b) A house near Annie's neighborhood.
(c) An apartment building downtown.
(d) Near Aunt Felicia's house.
6. Where did Uncle Paul die, according to Lieutenant McFarland?
(a) Belleau Woods.
(b) Argonne Woods.
(d) Passchendaele Ridge.
7. Who tells Annie how Uncle Paul died?
(b) A lieutenant who served under Uncle Paul.
(d) Her father.
8. Annie is allowed to visit St. John's again, but now Andrew is busy. What is Andrew doing at the hospital that keeps him busy?
(a) Playing baseball.
(b) Custodial work.
(c) Yard work.
(d) Doing physical therapy with some of the patients.
9. Why does Annie's mother not want Annie to visit St. John's for a third time?
(a) She doesn't think Annie will be able to get all her chores done.
(b) She does not want Annie exposed to all the ugliness.
(c) Because Annie is supposed to be helping Grandmother.
(d) Because Annie needs to go to Bible School.
10. As the days pass since her grandparents and mother left, what does Annie begin to dread?
(a) The beginning of another school year.
(b) Learning more about Uncle Paul's death.
(c) Her mother's return.
(d) Visiting Andrew and Timothy.
11. Before the dinner party, what does Ruth encourage Annie to do?
(a) Remember Uncle Paul as he was and not focus on how he died.
(b) Take more difficult classes at school.
(c) Write to Andrew.
(d) Get a part-time job at the hospital.
12. When and where did Uncle Paul die?
(a) January 4, 1918, in France.
(b) October, 5, 1917, in Germany.
(c) April 14, 1918, in Germany.
(d) June 6, 1918, in France.
13. What will be done for Timothy's condition soon?
(a) The doctors will use a new salve on his eyes.
(b) He will learn Braille.
(c) He will have an operation.
(d) His bandages will be removed.
14. Why does Mrs. Crayton visit Annie after school starts?
(a) To introduce her to Mr. Crayton.
(b) To thank her for helping Andrew to recover.
(c) To introduce her to Andrew's siblings.
(d) To ask her to visit her and Andrew at their home.
15. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, what does she wonder about her mother's views?
(a) Why her mother is so opposed to to St. John's and the men there.
(b) Why her mother is so tired.
(c) Why music is such a large part of her mother's life.
(d) Why she and her mother don't spend more time together.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annie do with her newfound freedom while her mother and her grandparents are gone on their trip?
2. Why is Annie's mother planning a trip the day after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
3. Why are Annie and her mother avoiding each other the evening after her mother returns from her trip?
4. According to Ruth, why did Andrew, Uncle Paul, and other young men enlist in the war?
5. The evening that Annie and her father go back to St. John's, what does Andrew promise to do for Annie?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)