|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Uncle Paul die, according to Lieutenant McFarland?
(a) Argonne Woods.
(b) Belleau Woods.
(d) Passchendaele Ridge.
2. How are Annie and her mother getting along now that her mother and her grandparents have returned from their trip?
(a) They're planning on going to the hospital together.
(b) Their relationship is better than it ever has been.
(c) There is tension between them.
(d) They are glad to be back together.
3. Annie is back in school now. Where is Andrew going soon?
(a) Back to school.
(b) To work in a veteran's hospital in Topeka.
(c) To his grandparents' home.
(d) To work for his father.
4. Who does Annie's mother invite to dinner before Andrew leaves?
(a) Andrew and Timothy.
(b) Andrew and his parents.
(c) Andrew and Ruth.
(d) Annie's grandparents.
5. How was Andrew injured?
(a) The gas tank of the vehicle he was riding was in exploded.
(b) He lost his gas mask and couldn't protect himself from an attack of mustard gas.
(c) A grenade was thrown into the trench where he waited.
(d) He was in a building that exploded.
6. About a week after Andrew's surgery, Annie goes to St. John's earlier than usual. What good news does she hear?
(a) There is a new treatment for Andrew's injuries.
(b) Annie has a job working at the library.
(c) Annie has been asked to volunteer at the hospital.
(d) Timothy has regained his sight.
7. Although Annie is busy this summer and enjoying herself, why does she have times when she feels guilty?
(a) She isn't getting all the chores done at home.
(b) She doesn't have time to check on her grandparents home.
(c) She is visiting St. John's even though her mother ordered her not to go there.
(d) She burned her father's dinner.
8. Why is Annie so angry with her mother as they drive away from St. John's after Annie's second visit?
(a) She wanted to come home on the trolley.
(b) She wanted to get ice cream before they went home.
(c) Annie was just beginning to get to know Andrew and her mother had ruined it all.
(d) She had wanted to come home with Father.
9. Why does Mrs. Crayton visit Annie after school starts?
(a) To thank her for helping Andrew to recover.
(b) To introduce her to Mr. Crayton.
(c) To introduce her to Andrew's siblings.
(d) To ask her to visit her and Andrew at their home.
10. On her third visit to St. John's, why does Annie try to apologize to Andrew?
(a) Because she ran away the first day she met him.
(b) Because her mother was so rude.
(c) Because she forgot to bring cookies.
(d) Because she didn't bring anything to read to him.
11. After arguing with her mother about St. John's, Annie goes to her room to think. What interrupts Annie's thoughts?
(a) Her grandmother comes over.
(b) Her mother asks her to listen to a new piece of music.
(c) Her father comes home.
(d) Her mother's voice and noises in the house.
12. According to Ruth, why did Andrew, Uncle Paul, and other young men enlist in the war?
(a) They wanted to get away from home.
(b) They wanted to serve their country.
(c) They liked to fight and shoot guns.
(d) It was exciting to think of becoming a soldier.
13. The evening that Annie and her father go back to St. John's, what does Andrew promise to do for Annie?
(a) Ask men who were in Uncle Paul's unit when there was front line fighting.
(b) Write to some of the men in his unit and see if they remember when there was front line fighting.
(c) Ask his commanding officer when there was front line fighting.
(d) Ask Timothy what he remembers when there was front line fighting.
14. When and where did Uncle Paul die?
(a) October, 5, 1917, in Germany.
(b) April 14, 1918, in Germany.
(c) June 6, 1918, in France.
(d) January 4, 1918, in France.
15. What bothers Andrew about the special celebration to be held on Armistice Day?
(a) That veterans from St. John's are not asked to participate.
(b) That he has to participate in the celebration.
(c) That Timothy will not be there to celebrate with them.
(d) That it is his last day in Kansas City.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Annie how Uncle Paul died?
2. It is almost time for Annie's mother to return home. What season of the year is ending?
3. Why does Annie's mother not want Annie to visit St. John's for a third time?
4. What does Annie do with her newfound freedom while her mother and her grandparents are gone on their trip?
5. Where is Andrew's home?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)