|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will be done for Timothy's condition soon?
(a) He will have an operation.
(b) His bandages will be removed.
(c) He will learn Braille.
(d) The doctors will use a new salve on his eyes.
2. The day after receiving Grandfather's letter, who does Annie meet at the hospital?
(a) Mr. Lewis, Timothy's father.
(b) Mrs. Crayton, Andrew's mother.
(c) Mrs. Lewis, Timothy's mother.
(d) Andrew's siblings.
3. What does Andrew tell Annie about researching Uncle Paul's death?
(a) To have her father help her research Uncle Paul's death.
(b) That she will need to contact Uncle Paul's commanding officer for more information.
(c) That it may be difficult to find out what really happened.
(d) She may learn some unpleasant news about Uncle Paul's death.
4. Who does Annie's mother invite to dinner before Andrew leaves?
(a) Andrew and Timothy.
(b) Andrew and Ruth.
(c) Andrew and his parents.
(d) Annie's grandparents.
5. Why does Ruth come over to Annie's house the evening after Annie visits St. John's for a second time?
(a) To stay with Annie and her grandmother.
(b) To take Annie to see her father.
(c) To give Annie another book.
(d) To talk with Annie's mother.
6. Annie is allowed to visit St. John's again, but now Andrew is busy. What is Andrew doing at the hospital that keeps him busy?
(a) Playing baseball.
(b) Yard work.
(c) Custodial work.
(d) Doing physical therapy with some of the patients.
7. Why, over the course of the summer, has Andrew's condition improved?
(a) The doctors are finding better ways to treat his condition.
(b) The camaraderie of his fellow soldiers is helping him to have a more positive attitude.
(c) His father visits daily.
(d) His friendship with Annie.
8. How does Annie's father learn how Uncle Paul died?
(a) Annie tells him.
(b) Andrew tells him.
(c) Grandfather tells him.
(d) Timothy tells him.
9. The day after Annie visits St. John's for a second time, Annie's mother decides to take a trip. Where is she going?
(a) To stay at Annie's grandparents' home.
(b) Estes Park, Colorado.
(c) To Ruth's house.
(d) New York City.
10. Why is the date of Uncle Paul's death in question?
(a) Andrew doesn't think there was front line fighting that day.
(b) The telegram the family received has a different date than the date on the death certificate.
(c) The war was over before that date.
(d) There was no fighting in France in June.
11. How was Andrew injured?
(a) He was in a building that exploded.
(b) The gas tank of the vehicle he was riding was in exploded.
(c) A grenade was thrown into the trench where he waited.
(d) He lost his gas mask and couldn't protect himself from an attack of mustard gas.
12. What happens the evening after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
(a) Annie's father was in an accident.
(b) Annie's grandfather is very sick.
(c) Annie's mother hurt her hand.
(d) Uncle John was in an accident.
13. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, what does she wonder about her mother's views?
(a) Why her mother is so opposed to to St. John's and the men there.
(b) Why she and her mother don't spend more time together.
(c) Why music is such a large part of her mother's life.
(d) Why her mother is so tired.
14. The evening that Annie and her father go back to St. John's, what does Andrew promise to do for Annie?
(a) Ask men who were in Uncle Paul's unit when there was front line fighting.
(b) Ask Timothy what he remembers when there was front line fighting.
(c) Ask his commanding officer when there was front line fighting.
(d) Write to some of the men in his unit and see if they remember when there was front line fighting.
15. What does Grandfather say in his letter about Uncle Paul's medals?
(a) Uncle Paul did not receive a Purple Heart.
(b) Uncle Paul received a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart.
(c) Uncle Paul received a Purple Heart.
(d) Uncle Paul received a Good Conduct Medal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Uncle Paul die in battle on June 6?
2. Why does Annie's mother finally allow Annie to continue visiting St. John's even though Annie lied when her mother was gone on her trip?
3. About a week after Andrew's surgery, Annie goes to St. John's earlier than usual. What good news does she hear?
4. What medal did Andrew receive?
5. What does Annie begin to realize about her mother and her mother's behavior after her second visit to St. John's?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)