|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Armistice Day approaches, what bothers Annie about the war memorial?
(a) That it is so expensive.
(b) That Uncle Paul's name will be on it even though he did not die a hero.
(c) That Andrew will not get to see the memorial completed.
(d) That Uncle Paul's name will not be on it.
2. How was Andrew injured?
(a) He lost his gas mask and couldn't protect himself from an attack of mustard gas.
(b) He was in a building that exploded.
(c) A grenade was thrown into the trench where he waited.
(d) The gas tank of the vehicle he was riding was in exploded.
3. Why didn't Uncle Paul die in battle on June 6?
(a) He wasn't in France on June 6.
(b) He was in Britain on June 6.
(c) The army listed the wrong date in the telegram sent to Annie's family.
(d) His unit didn't fight a battle until June 14.
4. On her third visit to St. John's, why does Annie try to apologize to Andrew?
(a) Because she forgot to bring cookies.
(b) Because she didn't bring anything to read to him.
(c) Because her mother was so rude.
(d) Because she ran away the first day she met him.
5. Why is the date of Uncle Paul's death in question?
(a) There was no fighting in France in June.
(b) The war was over before that date.
(c) Andrew doesn't think there was front line fighting that day.
(d) The telegram the family received has a different date than the date on the death certificate.
6. Why is Annie so angry with her mother as they drive away from St. John's after Annie's second visit?
(a) Annie was just beginning to get to know Andrew and her mother had ruined it all.
(b) She wanted to get ice cream before they went home.
(c) She wanted to come home on the trolley.
(d) She had wanted to come home with Father.
7. What does Annie do with her newfound freedom while her mother and her grandparents are gone on their trip?
(a) She does chores and visits St. John's.
(b) She goes back to Bible School.
(c) She invites friends over to her house.
(d) She goes to the library.
8. Before Grandfather goes on the trip with Grandmother and Annie's mother, why does Annie tell him not to worry?
(a) She will look after the chickens.
(b) She will be fine at home alone.
(c) She will visit Timothy and read to him.
(d) She will write him frequently.
9. What will be done for Timothy's condition soon?
(a) He will learn Braille.
(b) The doctors will use a new salve on his eyes.
(c) His bandages will be removed.
(d) He will have an operation.
10. Why is there a conflict between Annie's parents now that Mrs. Metcalf has returned from her trip?
(a) That Annie didn't keep up with the household chores while her mother was gone.
(b) That Annie didn't attend Sunday School while her mother was gone.
(c) That Annie's father still refuses to work at the county hospital.
(d) That Annie's father allowed her to visit the hospital daily.
11. What medal did Andrew receive?
(a) A letter of commendation.
(b) Distinguished Service Medal.
(c) Bronze Star.
(d) Purple Heart.
12. According to Annie, what did Uncle Paul earn for his service in the Army?
(a) A Purple Heart.
(b) Medals for courage.
(c) An Iron Cross.
(d) A commendation.
13. What is the outcome of Andrew's surgery?
(a) There are complications and he will need another surgery.
(b) It is successful with no complications.
(c) He had a bad reaction to the anesthesia.
(d) An infection has set in and he will have to have another surgery.
14. Who tells Annie how Uncle Paul died?
(c) Her father.
(d) A lieutenant who served under Uncle Paul.
15. Why is Annie happy when she goes home the evening that she and Father go to St. John's?
(a) Andrew kisses the top of her head.
(b) The nuns are very pleased with her work.
(c) Her father asked her to assist him.
(d) Everyone at St. John's enjoys her cookies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ruth come over to Annie's house the evening after Annie visits St. John's for a second time?
2. What reunites Annie and her mother after their argument when Annie's mother returned from her trip?
3. As the days pass since her grandparents and mother left, what does Annie begin to dread?
4. Why are Annie and her mother avoiding each other the evening after her mother returns from her trip?
5. About a week after Andrew's surgery, Annie goes to St. John's earlier than usual. What good news does she hear?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)