|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens the evening after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
(a) Annie's mother hurt her hand.
(b) Annie's grandfather is very sick.
(c) Uncle John was in an accident.
(d) Annie's father was in an accident.
2. What does Andrew tell Annie after talking to a soldier who served with Uncle Paul?
(a) Uncle Paul's unit was not in action the entire month of June.
(b) Uncle Paul's unit was not in action until June 14, eight days after Uncle Paul died.
(c) Uncle Paul's unit was in action on June 6.
(d) No one can remember when Uncle Paul's unit was in action.
3. Why is Andrew having surgery?
(a) Repair his damaged mouth.
(b) Repair his nose.
(c) Repair his jaw.
(d) Remove the damaged skin from his torso.
4. What bothers Andrew about the special celebration to be held on Armistice Day?
(a) That veterans from St. John's are not asked to participate.
(b) That it is his last day in Kansas City.
(c) That Timothy will not be there to celebrate with them.
(d) That he has to participate in the celebration.
5. Why does Ruth come over to Annie's house the evening after Annie visits St. John's for a second time?
(a) To talk with Annie's mother.
(b) To stay with Annie and her grandmother.
(c) To take Annie to see her father.
(d) To give Annie another book.
6. Why is the date of Uncle Paul's death in question?
(a) The telegram the family received has a different date than the date on the death certificate.
(b) Andrew doesn't think there was front line fighting that day.
(c) There was no fighting in France in June.
(d) The war was over before that date.
7. What does Annie do with her newfound freedom while her mother and her grandparents are gone on their trip?
(a) She goes to the library.
(b) She invites friends over to her house.
(c) She does chores and visits St. John's.
(d) She goes back to Bible School.
8. On her third visit to St. John's, why does Annie try to apologize to Andrew?
(a) Because she didn't bring anything to read to him.
(b) Because she forgot to bring cookies.
(c) Because she ran away the first day she met him.
(d) Because her mother was so rude.
9. After arguing with her mother about St. John's, Annie goes to her room to think. What interrupts Annie's thoughts?
(a) Her grandmother comes over.
(b) Her father comes home.
(c) Her mother's voice and noises in the house.
(d) Her mother asks her to listen to a new piece of music.
10. Why doesn't Annie's mother wish to discuss the war or its aftermath?
(a) She doesn't like to think about the injured, dying, or dead soldiers.
(b) She is a pacifist and is against war.
(c) Talking about the war reminds her of Uncle Paul's death.
(d) She thinks America should not have been involved in the war.
11. Who tells Annie how Uncle Paul died?
(a) Her father.
(b) A lieutenant who served under Uncle Paul.
12. What medal did Andrew receive?
(a) A letter of commendation.
(b) Purple Heart.
(c) Distinguished Service Medal.
(d) Bronze Star.
13. The evening that Annie and her father go back to St. John's, what does Andrew promise to do for Annie?
(a) Write to some of the men in his unit and see if they remember when there was front line fighting.
(b) Ask Timothy what he remembers when there was front line fighting.
(c) Ask men who were in Uncle Paul's unit when there was front line fighting.
(d) Ask his commanding officer when there was front line fighting.
14. As the days pass since her grandparents and mother left, what does Annie begin to dread?
(a) Her mother's return.
(b) Learning more about Uncle Paul's death.
(c) Visiting Andrew and Timothy.
(d) The beginning of another school year.
15. What is the outcome of Andrew's surgery?
(a) It is successful with no complications.
(b) He had a bad reaction to the anesthesia.
(c) An infection has set in and he will have to have another surgery.
(d) There are complications and he will need another surgery.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Crayton visits Annie after school begins. What does she give Annie?
2. What does Annie do each day now that her mother has been gone for a few days?
3. Why doesn't Andrew's father visit him?
4. What grade is Annie in this school year?
5. Why does Annie's mother not want Annie to visit St. John's for a third time?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)