|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Andrew's father visit him?
(a) He can't bear to see Andrew's injuries.
(b) He's handicapped and cannot visit Andrew.
(c) His car broke down.
(d) He didn't want Andrew to enlist.
2. What does Grandfather say in his letter about Uncle Paul's medals?
(a) Uncle Paul received a Good Conduct Medal.
(b) Uncle Paul received a Purple Heart.
(c) Uncle Paul received a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart.
(d) Uncle Paul did not receive a Purple Heart.
3. Why can't Annie hide the fact that she's been visiting St. John's from her mother any longer?
(a) Her mother is home.
(b) Annie's father informs her mother that Annie has been at the hospital.
(c) Someone calls her mother and tells her that Annie has been at the hospital.
(d) A neighbor tells Annie's mother that Annie has been at the hospital.
4. What had Andrew considered doing shortly after he was injured?
(a) Killing himself.
(b) Study to become a doctor and help others who were severely injured.
(c) Work hard so he could get back to the fighting.
(d) Leaving the army without permission.
5. Before the dinner party, what does Ruth encourage Annie to do?
(a) Take more difficult classes at school.
(b) Remember Uncle Paul as he was and not focus on how he died.
(c) Get a part-time job at the hospital.
(d) Write to Andrew.
6. Why is there a conflict between Annie's parents now that Mrs. Metcalf has returned from her trip?
(a) That Annie didn't attend Sunday School while her mother was gone.
(b) That Annie didn't keep up with the household chores while her mother was gone.
(c) That Annie's father allowed her to visit the hospital daily.
(d) That Annie's father still refuses to work at the county hospital.
7. Why is the date of Uncle Paul's death in question?
(a) The war was over before that date.
(b) The telegram the family received has a different date than the date on the death certificate.
(c) There was no fighting in France in June.
(d) Andrew doesn't think there was front line fighting that day.
8. How are Annie and her mother getting along now that her mother and her grandparents have returned from their trip?
(a) Their relationship is better than it ever has been.
(b) They're planning on going to the hospital together.
(c) There is tension between them.
(d) They are glad to be back together.
9. Where do Annie's mother and her Uncle John go the evening after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
(a) To the hospital.
(b) To find Annie's father.
(c) To the library.
(d) To Annie's grandparents' home.
10. What is the setting in Chapters 13 and 14?
(b) Annie's home and St. John's hospital.
(c) The park.
(d) Annie's grandparents' house.
11. On Annie's third visit to St. John's, who do Annie and Andrew talk about?
(a) Annie's mother.
(b) Annie's grandfather.
(d) Uncle Paul.
12. What medal did Andrew receive?
(a) Distinguished Service Medal.
(b) Purple Heart.
(c) Bronze Star.
(d) A letter of commendation.
13. How did Annie's friendship help Andrew?
(a) She persuaded her father to help him get a job.
(b) She encouraged friends to visit Andrew.
(c) She helped him to become more self-confident and take chances again.
(d) She helped him to be able to look in a mirror again.
14. What does Annie do each day now that her mother has been gone for a few days?
(a) Visit St. John's to see Andrew and help the nuns.
(b) Go to the library to see Ruth.
(c) Play the piano.
(d) Visit friends.
15. Why is Andrew having surgery?
(a) Remove the damaged skin from his torso.
(b) Repair his damaged mouth.
(c) Repair his nose.
(d) Repair his jaw.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Uncle Paul die?
2. According to Ruth, why did Andrew, Uncle Paul, and other young men enlist in the war?
3. Why is Annie's mother planning a trip the day after Annie's second visit to St. John's?
4. As the days pass since her grandparents and mother left, what does Annie begin to dread?
5. What does Andrew tell Annie after talking to a soldier who served with Uncle Paul?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)