|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the Metcalfs need to shop for clothes the day after Dr. Metcalf returns home?
(a) Dr. Metcalf has gained weight.
(b) Dr. Metcalf needs more uniforms for work.
(c) Dr. Metcalf has lost weight.
(d) Dr. Metcalf's luggage got lost on the train.
2. Why does Annie enjoy her grandmother's home-cooked meals?
(a) Because her grandmother teaches her to cook.
(b) Annie's grandmother always prepares her favorite dishes.
(c) Annie's grandmother always bakes a special dessert.
(d) Annie's mother has no real interest or talent for cooking.
3. What does Annie usually enjoy on the Fourth of July?
(a) Spending the day with friends.
(b) The cotton candy and the special circus performance.
(c) Picnics with Grandmother's delicious food, the parade, and most of all the fireworks.
(d) Spending time with her cousins.
4. What do Annie and her Sunday School class see on their outing?
(a) Clowns juggling.
(b) Wounded soldiers.
(c) Annie's pets.
(d) Broken Blossom, a movie starring Lillian Gish.
5. Where does the Sunday School class go next?
(a) Blair's Ice Cream and Candy Parlor.
(b) Back to the church.
(c) To Miss Peterson's house.
(d) To a restaurant.
6. What is the name of the performance that Uncle Paul and Annie view together?
(a) The Merry Wives of Windsor.
(b) Madame Butterfly.
(c) Romeo and Juliet.
(d) La Boheme.
7. Why, on her first visit to St. John's, does Annie run away when she meets a patient?
(a) He reminds her of Uncle Paul.
(b) He tries to flirt with her.
(c) She's shy and doesn't know what to say.
(d) He is horribly disfigured.
8. How does Annie celebrate the Fourth of July this summer?
(a) Singing the national anthem with friends and neighbors.
(b) Watching the fireworks from their backyard.
(c) At a picnic in the park with her family and other families.
(d) Visiting the hospital.
9. What is the Mayor's announcement on the Fourth of July?
(a) A monument will be built to honor the soliders.
(b) The city is buying a fire engine.
(c) The fireworks will begin after dark.
(d) They need volunteers to visit injured soldiers.
10. What do Mrs. Metcalf and her first group of friends like to do?
(a) Persuade other women to volunteer to help wounded soldiers.
(b) Bake elaborate desserts.
(c) Discuss books they've read.
(d) Work for women's rights and other political and social issues.
11. Why is Annie's mother concerned about Annie's decision to do something different this summer?
(a) She thinks Annie shouldn't visit the hospital.
(b) She thinks Annie's friend is a bad influence.
(c) She thinks Annie will be bored.
(d) She doesn't think Annie can cook very well.
12. Why does Annie's mother often leave the room when Annie's father talks about his work?
(a) She has a piece of music to finish.
(b) She doesn't want to hear anything about the wounded soldiers.
(c) She's tired and goes to bed early.
(d) She likes to read for a while before she retires for the evening.
13. What does the family do after dinner in Chapter 2?
(a) Clean up the kitchen.
(b) Play checkers.
(c) Sit on the front porch and also play croquet.
(d) Sing while Annie's mother plays the piano.
14. Where does Annie live?
(a) Grand Island.
(b) New York City.
(d) Kansas City.
15. Where does Annie's father work?
(a) St. John's Veterans Hospital.
(b) Kansas City Memorial Hospital.
(c) County Hospital.
(d) His own private practice.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Chapter 3 take place?
2. Annie is meeting her father at the station. Who else would Annie like to be meeting at the train station?
3. On Annie's second visit to St. John's, why does Annie go find her father?
4. The evening after the Sunday School outing, why does Grandfather ask Annie if she is scared?
5. On Annie's second visit to St. John's, what does Annie discuss with one of the patients?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)