|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the family do after dinner in Chapter 2?
(a) Sit on the front porch and also play croquet.
(b) Sing while Annie's mother plays the piano.
(c) Play checkers.
(d) Clean up the kitchen.
2. How has Annie's grandmother changed since Uncle Paul died?
(a) Annie's grandmother used to sing all the time and be in a good mood.
(b) She cleans the house more frequently.
(c) She has more time for charity work.
(d) She cries frequently.
3. In the evening after Annie's Sunday School outing, why do she and Father go over to Grandfather's house?
(a) Buy some food.
(b) Listen to a sermon.
(c) Inspect Uncle Paul's motorcyle.
(d) Visit soldiers.
4. What did Annie's grandmother do when she heard that her son had died?
(a) Went to talk with a friend.
(b) Stayed in her room grieving for several days.
(c) Played sad songs on the piano.
(d) Scrubbed the kitchen floor.
5. Who is Ruth?
(a) Annie's mother's friend and a muscian.
(b) Annie's mother's friend and a librarian.
(c) A friend of Annie's grandmother.
(d) The mother of one of Annie's school friends.
6. During the Sunday School outing, what does Miss Peterson tell Annie?
(a) Annie's father should have his own practice.
(b) That she is glad that Annie's father is working at St. John's.
(c) Annie's father should not be associating with Catholics.
(d) Annie's father should be working at the county hospital.
7. Who is the main character?
(a) Abigail McBride.
(b) Angela Martin.
(c) Alexandra Mooney.
(d) Annie Metcalf.
8. What does Annie's father talk about in the evenings after work?
(a) His experiences during the war.
(b) Uncle Paul.
(c) Music, opera, and social issues.
(d) The nuns who run St. John's and the wounded soldiers.
9. How does Annie celebrate the Fourth of July this summer?
(a) Watching the fireworks from their backyard.
(b) Visiting the hospital.
(c) Singing the national anthem with friends and neighbors.
(d) At a picnic in the park with her family and other families.
10. How many siblings does Annie have?
(a) None, she is an only child.
(b) One brother.
(c) Two brothers and one sister.
(d) One sister.
11. Why, on her first visit to St. John's, does Annie run away when she meets a patient?
(a) He reminds her of Uncle Paul.
(b) He tries to flirt with her.
(c) He is horribly disfigured.
(d) She's shy and doesn't know what to say.
12. When does Chapter 3 take place?
(a) The middle of the night when Annie is awakened by her parents' voices.
(b) The morning after Annie's father returns.
(c) The next evening.
(d) Three days after Annie's father returns.
13. On Annie's second visit to St. John's, what does Annie discuss with one of the patients?
(a) The terrible things he encountered when he was fighting in France.
(b) Annie's father and how his work at the hospital.
(c) The patient's family.
(d) The weather.
14. How will Annie spend her time this summer?
(a) At Miss Peterson's house.
(b) Some place other than Bible School.
(c) Visting the hospital with Miss Peterson.
(d) Bible School.
15. On the way home from her first visit to St. John's, why is Annie glad that Grandfather and Father are ignoring her?
(a) She wants to write notes about her visit before she forgets the details.
(b) She has a headache.
(c) She doesn't want to talk about the visit.
(d) She's tired.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Mayor's announcement on the Fourth of July?
2. How did Annie and her mother get along while her father was gone?
3. Who are Mrs. Metcalf's first group of friends?
4. On Annie's second visit to St. John's, what does Annie's grandfather do while she talks to one of the patients?
5. Why doesn't Annie enjoy the fireworks on the Fourth of July?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)