|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On Annie's second visit to St. John's, what does Annie's grandfather do while she talks to one of the patients?
(a) Eats a snack.
(b) Continues reading to Timothy.
(c) Asks Andrew about his war experiences.
(d) Takes a nap.
2. What is the Mayor's announcement on the Fourth of July?
(a) The fireworks will begin after dark.
(b) A monument will be built to honor the soliders.
(c) They need volunteers to visit injured soldiers.
(d) The city is buying a fire engine.
3. Why does Annie enjoy her grandmother's home-cooked meals?
(a) Annie's grandmother always bakes a special dessert.
(b) Annie's grandmother always prepares her favorite dishes.
(c) Annie's mother has no real interest or talent for cooking.
(d) Because her grandmother teaches her to cook.
4. During Annie's second visit to St. John's, who do Annie and her grandfather meet?
(a) A priest at the hospital.
(b) Andrew Clayton, the man with the severe burns.
(c) One of the nuns.
(d) Timothy Lewis, the man who is blind.
5. The next morning after father's return, what does Annie wish to discuss with her mother?
(a) If she can go to her grandparents' house.
(b) If she can wear her new dress.
(c) What happened to Uncle Paul.
(d) The wounded men at the train station.
6. On Annie's second visit to St. John's, why does Annie go find her father?
(a) To tell him that Grandfather is not feeling well.
(b) To ask him to take her home.
(c) She hadn't seen him since yesterday and wanted to talk with him.
(d) To tell him she met the severely burned patient.
7. How will Annie spend her time this summer?
(a) At Miss Peterson's house.
(b) Some place other than Bible School.
(c) Bible School.
(d) Visting the hospital with Miss Peterson.
8. Wounded soldiers arrive on the same train with Dr. Metcalf. Where are they going?
(a) Kansas City Memorial Hospital.
(b) A convalescent home.
(c) St. John's Veterans Hospital.
(d) To their homes.
9. Why is Annie nervous about seeing her father again?
(a) She is afraid that he doesn't love her mother anymore.
(b) She is afraid he won't recognize her.
(c) She is afraid that she will be in trouble for things she did while he was gone.
(d) She is afraid that he will be changed by the war.
10. What incident do Annie and her father discuss regarding her first visit to the hospital?
(a) Why she ran away.
(b) What she is going to do later in the week.
(c) What she had for lunch.
(d) Annie's encounter with the man with the burned face.
11. What are Annie's favorite summer activities?
(a) Taking long walks.
(b) Playing the piano.
(c) Playing checkers with her grandfather.
(d) Reading and visiting the library.
12. Why is Annie's mother concerned about Annie's decision to do something different this summer?
(a) She doesn't think Annie can cook very well.
(b) She thinks Annie shouldn't visit the hospital.
(c) She thinks Annie's friend is a bad influence.
(d) She thinks Annie will be bored.
13. When Annie and Mrs. Metcalf talk over breakfast the day after Dr. Metcalf returns home, what does Annie's mother say about what they saw at the train station?
(a) She tells Annie to ask her father about the topic.
(b) She listens to Annie and explains what was happening.
(c) She sends Annie to her room.
(d) She refuses to discuss the subject.
14. What did Annie's grandfather do when he heard his son had died?
(a) Did not talk for two days.
(b) Went for a long walk.
(c) Chopped wood for an hour.
(d) Punched his fist through a wall.
15. What do Mrs. Metcalf and her first group of friends like to do?
(a) Persuade other women to volunteer to help wounded soldiers.
(b) Discuss books they've read.
(c) Bake elaborate desserts.
(d) Work for women's rights and other political and social issues.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annie usually enjoy on the Fourth of July?
2. What book is Grandfather reading to the soldiers?
3. How does Annie's mother feel about Grandfather's volunteer work at St. John's?
4. The first Saturday after her father arrives, Annie's father is already awake and gone. Why is Annie almost glad he isn't home?
5. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's after her second visit, what behavior bothers her and her grandfather?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)