|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Uncle Paul visits one evening and Mrs. Metcalf is gone?
(a) He and Annie go for a walk in the park.
(b) He takes Annie to get ice cream.
(c) He and Annie go for a ride on his motorcycle.
(d) He goes back home.
2. How many siblings does Annie have?
(a) Two brothers and one sister.
(b) None, she is an only child.
(c) One brother.
(d) One sister.
3. How does Annie's mother feel about Grandfather's volunteer work at St. John's?
(a) She thinks it is an excellent cause and sometimes volunteers herself.
(b) She does not approve.
(c) She is glad and drives him whenever he needs a ride.
(d) She asks him if she can do the same type of volunteer work.
4. What does the family do after dinner in Chapter 2?
(a) Clean up the kitchen.
(b) Sit on the front porch and also play croquet.
(c) Sing while Annie's mother plays the piano.
(d) Play checkers.
5. Grandfather and Dr. Metcalf are out walking the morning after Dr. Metcalf's return. Why does Grandfather tell Dr. Metcalf he is a brave man?
(a) Because Dr. Metcalf said no to a dinner party Mrs. Metcalf wished to have.
(b) Dr. Metcalf did not buy Mrs. Metcalf a gift when he came home.
(c) Dr. Metcalf is buying another car.
(d) Dr. Metcalf has accepted a job that Mrs. Metcalf does not approve of.
6. What does Ruth show Annie?
(a) Books about war.
(b) Her favorite poetry books.
(c) Sheet music.
7. When does Chapter 3 take place?
(a) The morning after Annie's father returns.
(b) Three days after Annie's father returns.
(c) The middle of the night when Annie is awakened by her parents' voices.
(d) The next evening.
8. Where does Uncle Paul invite Annie to go with him on one night in June?
(a) A musical.
(b) A Shakespearean play.
(c) The opera.
(d) A movie.
9. Who has Annie's grandfather been visiting at St. John's Hospital?
(a) Annie's cousins.
(b) An old friend.
(c) Annie's Uncle John.
(d) Timothy Lewis.
10. Who is the main character?
(a) Angela Martin.
(b) Abigail McBride.
(c) Alexandra Mooney.
(d) Annie Metcalf.
11. Why is Annie's mother concerned about Annie's decision to do something different this summer?
(a) She thinks Annie shouldn't visit the hospital.
(b) She doesn't think Annie can cook very well.
(c) She thinks Annie will be bored.
(d) She thinks Annie's friend is a bad influence.
12. How do Annie and her grandfather get to St. John's when Annie returns for a second visit?
(a) They walk.
(b) Annie's father takes them.
(c) Grandfather drives his car.
(d) On the trolley.
13. Why does Annie's mother often leave the room when Annie's father talks about his work?
(a) She doesn't want to hear anything about the wounded soldiers.
(b) She likes to read for a while before she retires for the evening.
(c) She has a piece of music to finish.
(d) She's tired and goes to bed early.
14. While Annie waits for her father at the train station, what images does Annie keep seeing even though she closes her eyes?
(a) The look on her father's face when he first saw her.
(b) The accident outside the station.
(c) What she will have for dinner when they get home.
(d) The wounded men she saw at the station.
15. Where would Annie's mother prefer that Annie's father work?
(a) St. John's Veterans Hospital.
(b) County Hospital.
(c) His own private practice.
(d) Kansas City Memorial Hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Annie visits St. John's again, what does she bring to share?
2. What is Annie's mother's name?
3. Who are Frances and Charlie?
4. Which army used the agent that injured the soldiers?
5. What did Annie and her mother talk about during her father's absence?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)