|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Annie and her Sunday School class see on their outing?
(a) Clowns juggling.
(b) Wounded soldiers.
(c) Annie's pets.
(d) Broken Blossom, a movie starring Lillian Gish.
2. Who has dinner almost ready when the Metcalfs arrive home from the train station?
(b) Aunt Felicia.
(c) Annie's grandmother.
(d) The housekeeper.
3. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's after her second visit, what behavior bothers her and her grandfather?
(a) How rudely Annie's mother acts.
(b) Andrew's terrible burns.
(c) The weather.
(d) That Annie has to leave so soon.
4. When does Chapter 3 take place?
(a) The next evening.
(b) Three days after Annie's father returns.
(c) The morning after Annie's father returns.
(d) The middle of the night when Annie is awakened by her parents' voices.
5. On Annie's second visit to St. John's, what does Annie's grandfather do while she talks to one of the patients?
(a) Takes a nap.
(b) Asks Andrew about his war experiences.
(c) Continues reading to Timothy.
(d) Eats a snack.
6. Which army used the agent that injured the soldiers?
(a) Both armies.
(b) The French army.
(c) The American army.
(d) The German army.
7. Who are the grownups that greet Annie and her parents when they arrive home from the train station?
(a) Grandfather, Grandmother, Aunt Felicia, Uncle Mark, and Uncle John.
(b) Uncle Paul and his wife.
(c) People Annie's father worked with before the war.
(d) Neighbors and the family minister.
8. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, who comes to take her home?
(a) Annie's mother.
(b) Annie's grandmother.
(c) Miss Peterson.
(d) Annie's father.
9. Why does Annie sometimes feel shut out of her mother's life?
(a) Her mother is rarely home.
(b) Her mother's two groups of friends.
(c) Her mother's frequent illnesses.
(d) Her mother's volunteer work.
10. Why is Annie concerned about her grandfather as they begin the journey to go to St. John's for a second time?
(a) He slips and almost falls.
(b) He cut himself shaving.
(c) He has a cut on his hand.
(d) He is unsteady and breathing hard.
11. On Annie's second visit to St. John's, why does Annie go find her father?
(a) She hadn't seen him since yesterday and wanted to talk with him.
(b) To tell him she met the severely burned patient.
(c) To ask him to take her home.
(d) To tell him that Grandfather is not feeling well.
12. Where does Annie's father work?
(a) County Hospital.
(b) St. John's Veterans Hospital.
(c) Kansas City Memorial Hospital.
(d) His own private practice.
13. When Annie and Mrs. Metcalf talk over breakfast the day after Dr. Metcalf returns home, what does Annie's mother say about what they saw at the train station?
(a) She tells Annie to ask her father about the topic.
(b) She listens to Annie and explains what was happening.
(c) She sends Annie to her room.
(d) She refuses to discuss the subject.
14. The first Saturday after her father arrives, Annie's father is already awake and gone. Why is Annie almost glad he isn't home?
(a) She's not ready to talk about what she did when he was gone.
(b) She is not ready to share Mother yet.
(c) She does not want to show him her report card.
(d) She is still shy around him.
15. What do Mrs. Metcalf and her first group of friends like to do?
(a) Discuss books they've read.
(b) Bake elaborate desserts.
(c) Persuade other women to volunteer to help wounded soldiers.
(d) Work for women's rights and other political and social issues.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annie do when her mother is working or playing the piano?
2. When Annie visits St. John's again, what does she bring to share?
3. Grandfather and Dr. Metcalf are out walking the morning after Dr. Metcalf's return. Why does Grandfather tell Dr. Metcalf he is a brave man?
4. What do Annie and her grandfather discuss when they play checkers?
5. Who takes Annie to St. John's the first time she visits?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)