|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which army used the agent that injured the soldiers?
(a) Both armies.
(b) The American army.
(c) The French army.
(d) The German army.
2. When does Chapter 3 take place?
(a) The morning after Annie's father returns.
(b) The middle of the night when Annie is awakened by her parents' voices.
(c) Three days after Annie's father returns.
(d) The next evening.
3. On Annie's second visit to St. John's, why does Annie go find her father?
(a) She hadn't seen him since yesterday and wanted to talk with him.
(b) To ask him to take her home.
(c) To tell him that Grandfather is not feeling well.
(d) To tell him she met the severely burned patient.
4. Wounded soldiers arrive on the same train with Dr. Metcalf. Where are they going?
(a) To their homes.
(b) A convalescent home.
(c) St. John's Veterans Hospital.
(d) Kansas City Memorial Hospital.
5. Who is Ruth?
(a) Annie's mother's friend and a muscian.
(b) The mother of one of Annie's school friends.
(c) Annie's mother's friend and a librarian.
(d) A friend of Annie's grandmother.
6. The first time Annie visits the hospital, who gives her a tour?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her grandfather.
(c) No one.
(d) One of the nuns.
7. What happens when Uncle Paul visits one evening and Mrs. Metcalf is gone?
(a) He and Annie go for a walk in the park.
(b) He and Annie go for a ride on his motorcycle.
(c) He goes back home.
(d) He takes Annie to get ice cream.
8. During Annie's second visit to St. John's, who do Annie and her grandfather meet?
(a) Andrew Clayton, the man with the severe burns.
(b) A priest at the hospital.
(c) One of the nuns.
(d) Timothy Lewis, the man who is blind.
9. What does Annie do when her mother is working or playing the piano?
(a) Writes in her journal.
(b) Plays with friends.
(c) Plays duets with her mother.
(d) Visits her grandparents or plays alone.
10. Why does Annie spend a lot of time alone now that it is summer?
(a) Her interests are changing and she is growing away from her neighborhood friends.
(b) Annie has too many chores to do.
(c) Her neighborhood friends are too busy to spend time with her.
(d) Annie's best friends have moved away.
11. In the evening after Annie's Sunday School outing, why do she and Father go over to Grandfather's house?
(a) Visit soldiers.
(b) Listen to a sermon.
(c) Buy some food.
(d) Inspect Uncle Paul's motorcyle.
12. How were most of the burned soldiers injured?
(a) Exploding gas tanks.
(c) Mustard gas.
(d) A bomb.
13. How does Annie's mother react to what she sees at the train station?
(a) She is disturbed to see all the wounded soldiers.
(b) She laughs.
(c) She starts an argument.
(d) She decides to help the wounded soldiers.
14. Where would Annie's mother prefer that Annie's father work?
(a) Kansas City Memorial Hospital.
(b) St. John's Veterans Hospital.
(c) His own private practice.
(d) County Hospital.
15. Who are Frances and Charlie?
(a) The dog and cat.
(b) Annie's cousins.
(c) Annie's friends from the neighborhood.
(d) Uncle Paul's children.
Short Answer Questions
1. The newspaper is on the steps when Annie returns home from the Sunday School outing. What is the front page headline?
2. What do Mrs. Metcalf and her second group of friends like to do?
3. When Annie returns from the Sunday School outing, what does she tell her parents?
4. The first Saturday after her father arrives, Annie's father is already awake and gone. Why is Annie almost glad he isn't home?
5. Who takes Annie to St. John's the first time she visits?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)