|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Annie's mother react to what she sees at the train station?
(a) She laughs.
(b) She decides to help the wounded soldiers.
(c) She starts an argument.
(d) She is disturbed to see all the wounded soldiers.
2. In Chapter 9, who says "I hope I never have to go out there. From what I hear, those fellows aren't very pretty"?
(c) The conductor on the trolley.
(d) Miss Peterson.
3. Grandfather and Dr. Metcalf are out walking the morning after Dr. Metcalf's return. Why does Grandfather tell Dr. Metcalf he is a brave man?
(a) Dr. Metcalf did not buy Mrs. Metcalf a gift when he came home.
(b) Dr. Metcalf has accepted a job that Mrs. Metcalf does not approve of.
(c) Because Dr. Metcalf said no to a dinner party Mrs. Metcalf wished to have.
(d) Dr. Metcalf is buying another car.
4. During Annie's second visit to St. John's, who do Annie and her grandfather meet?
(a) Timothy Lewis, the man who is blind.
(b) Andrew Clayton, the man with the severe burns.
(c) A priest at the hospital.
(d) One of the nuns.
5. Who is Ruth?
(a) The mother of one of Annie's school friends.
(b) Annie's mother's friend and a muscian.
(c) Annie's mother's friend and a librarian.
(d) A friend of Annie's grandmother.
6. What did Annie's grandmother do when she heard that her son had died?
(a) Played sad songs on the piano.
(b) Stayed in her room grieving for several days.
(c) Scrubbed the kitchen floor.
(d) Went to talk with a friend.
7. Why does Andrew not say goodbye to Annie as she leaves after visiting the hospital for a second time?
(a) He is upset by how rudely Mrs. Metcalf treated him.
(b) Someone has called him to come back inside.
(c) He does not want to see Annie leave.
(d) He did not realize she was leaving so soon.
8. How does Annie celebrate the Fourth of July this summer?
(a) Singing the national anthem with friends and neighbors.
(b) Watching the fireworks from their backyard.
(c) At a picnic in the park with her family and other families.
(d) Visiting the hospital.
9. Why is Annie so interested in the things that Ruth shows her?
(a) She wants to know more about the war.
(b) She loves to read.
(c) She enjoys poetry.
(d) She is fascinated by foreign-sounding names and exotic places that she might visit.
10. What does the family do after dinner in Chapter 2?
(a) Clean up the kitchen.
(b) Sit on the front porch and also play croquet.
(c) Play checkers.
(d) Sing while Annie's mother plays the piano.
11. Annie runs away from one of the patients on her first visit to St. John's. Why does she go back?
(a) She thinks of something she would like to ask the soldier.
(b) She tells her grandfather and he asks her to go back.
(c) She drops her book and goes back to get it.
(d) Her father asks her to go back.
12. On the way home from her first visit to St. John's, why is Annie glad that Grandfather and Father are ignoring her?
(a) She has a headache.
(b) She wants to write notes about her visit before she forgets the details.
(c) She doesn't want to talk about the visit.
(d) She's tired.
13. On Annie's second visit to St. John's, what does Annie discuss with one of the patients?
(a) The patient's family.
(b) The terrible things he encountered when he was fighting in France.
(c) Annie's father and how his work at the hospital.
(d) The weather.
14. After their first dinner together with father and their guests leave, what do the Metcalfs do together?
(a) Take a walk around the neighborhood.
(b) Go to bed.
(c) Fix a snack.
(d) Annie and her father sit on the sofa while her mother plays the piano.
15. How did Annie and her mother get along while her father was gone?
(a) They went their separate ways.
(b) They argued constantly.
(c) They grew closer together.
(d) They were civil, but did not have a close relationship.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first time Annie visits the hospital, who gives her a tour?
2. What did Annie and her mother talk about during her father's absence?
3. Where did Annie's father serve during the war?
4. The first Saturday after her father arrives, Annie's father is already awake and gone. Why is Annie almost glad he isn't home?
5. Where does Annie live?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)