|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Annie's grandfather visits St. John's, what does he do?
(a) Changes bandages.
2. What did Annie's father do during the war?
(a) Served as an army officer in Europe.
(b) Served as an ambulance driver.
(c) Served as a physician treating wounded soldiers.
(d) Served as an airplane pilot.
3. While Annie waits for her father at the train station, what images does Annie keep seeing even though she closes her eyes?
(a) The wounded men she saw at the station.
(b) The look on her father's face when he first saw her.
(c) What she will have for dinner when they get home.
(d) The accident outside the station.
4. How do Annie and her grandfather get to St. John's when Annie returns for a second visit?
(a) Annie's father takes them.
(b) On the trolley.
(c) They walk.
(d) Grandfather drives his car.
5. What did Annie's grandfather do when he heard his son had died?
(a) Punched his fist through a wall.
(b) Chopped wood for an hour.
(c) Went for a long walk.
(d) Did not talk for two days.
6. What is the name of Annie's dog?
7. How does Annie's mother feel about Grandfather's volunteer work at St. John's?
(a) She asks him if she can do the same type of volunteer work.
(b) She is glad and drives him whenever he needs a ride.
(c) She thinks it is an excellent cause and sometimes volunteers herself.
(d) She does not approve.
8. After Dr. Metcalf arrives on the train, who drives home from the station?
(a) Annie's grandparents.
(c) Annie's mother.
(d) Annie's father.
9. During the Sunday School outing, what does Miss Peterson tell Annie?
(a) Annie's father should be working at the county hospital.
(b) Annie's father should have his own practice.
(c) Annie's father should not be associating with Catholics.
(d) That she is glad that Annie's father is working at St. John's.
10. How many siblings does Annie have?
(a) None, she is an only child.
(b) One brother.
(c) One sister.
(d) Two brothers and one sister.
11. Why does Annie's mother often leave the room when Annie's father talks about his work?
(a) She likes to read for a while before she retires for the evening.
(b) She has a piece of music to finish.
(c) She's tired and goes to bed early.
(d) She doesn't want to hear anything about the wounded soldiers.
12. Who are Frances and Charlie?
(a) Annie's cousins.
(b) Uncle Paul's children.
(c) Annie's friends from the neighborhood.
(d) The dog and cat.
13. After the mayor's big announcement on the Fourth of July, why don't Father and Ruth want to see the plans?
(a) They think too many people will come to the hospital.
(b) They think the new fire engine is too expensive.
(c) They think the monument will glorify the unnecessary loss of lives.
(d) They have already seen the plans.
14. On Annie's second visit to St. John's, what does Annie discuss with one of the patients?
(a) The patient's family.
(b) The terrible things he encountered when he was fighting in France.
(c) The weather.
(d) Annie's father and how his work at the hospital.
15. What does Annie's father want to discuss after dinner the day Annie visits St. John's for the first time?
(a) Whether she will go back to visit.
(b) Why she ran away.
(c) About her experience at St. John's.
(d) What was her favorite part of her visit.
Short Answer Questions
1. After their first dinner together with father and their guests leave, what do the Metcalfs do together?
2. Who are Mrs. Metcalf's first group of friends?
3. What did Annie and her mother talk about during her father's absence?
4. Where did Annie's father serve during the war?
5. Who takes Annie to St. John's the first time she visits?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)