|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the mayor's big announcement on the Fourth of July, why don't Father and Ruth want to see the plans?
(a) They think too many people will come to the hospital.
(b) They think the monument will glorify the unnecessary loss of lives.
(c) They think the new fire engine is too expensive.
(d) They have already seen the plans.
2. What does Annie usually enjoy on the Fourth of July?
(a) The cotton candy and the special circus performance.
(b) Spending the day with friends.
(c) Picnics with Grandmother's delicious food, the parade, and most of all the fireworks.
(d) Spending time with her cousins.
3. Wounded soldiers arrive on the same train with Dr. Metcalf. Where are they going?
(a) A convalescent home.
(b) To their homes.
(c) Kansas City Memorial Hospital.
(d) St. John's Veterans Hospital.
4. In Chapter 9, who says "I hope I never have to go out there. From what I hear, those fellows aren't very pretty"?
(a) The conductor on the trolley.
(d) Miss Peterson.
5. Who takes Annie to St. John's the first time she visits?
(a) Her grandfather.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Aunt Felicia.
6. Why is Annie so interested in the things that Ruth shows her?
(a) She loves to read.
(b) She enjoys poetry.
(c) She wants to know more about the war.
(d) She is fascinated by foreign-sounding names and exotic places that she might visit.
7. What do Mrs. Metcalf and her second group of friends like to do?
(a) Sit on the front porch and laugh and sing.
(b) Attend operas and plays.
(c) Knit and crochet.
(d) Raise money for wounded soldiers.
8. The newspaper is on the steps when Annie returns home from the Sunday School outing. What is the front page headline?
(a) President Wilson to Visit Kansas City.
(b) War Monument Donations at 90%.
(c) Vice President Marshall to Visit Kansas City.
(d) World Peace Signed and Sealed at Versailles.
9. How do Annie and her grandfather get to St. John's when Annie returns for a second visit?
(a) Annie's father takes them.
(b) They walk.
(c) On the trolley.
(d) Grandfather drives his car.
10. How does Annie's mother feel about Grandfather's volunteer work at St. John's?
(a) She thinks it is an excellent cause and sometimes volunteers herself.
(b) She asks him if she can do the same type of volunteer work.
(c) She does not approve.
(d) She is glad and drives him whenever he needs a ride.
11. Where did Annie's father serve during the war?
(a) New York City.
(c) Kansas City.
12. What did Annie and her mother talk about during her father's absence?
(a) Uncle Paul.
(b) What they would do after the war.
(c) The war.
(d) Routine things.
13. The evening after the Sunday School outing, why does Grandfather ask Annie if she is scared?
(a) She does not want to tell her mother about the visit at St. John's.
(b) She doesn't want to talk with Grandmother about St. John's.
(c) She does not want to talk about the incident at the ice cream shop.
(d) She doesn't want to ride the motorcycle with Father.
14. What do Annie and her grandfather discuss when they play checkers?
(a) What Annie would like to do when she grows up.
(b) Uncle Paul.
(c) His experiences visiting the soldiers at St. John's.
(d) Annie's father.
15. Why is Annie's mother concerned about Annie's decision to do something different this summer?
(a) She thinks Annie will be bored.
(b) She thinks Annie shouldn't visit the hospital.
(c) She thinks Annie's friend is a bad influence.
(d) She doesn't think Annie can cook very well.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Uncle Paul visits one evening and Mrs. Metcalf is gone?
2. In the evening after Annie's Sunday School outing, why do she and Father go over to Grandfather's house?
3. How does Annie celebrate the Fourth of July this summer?
4. Why, on her first visit to St. John's, does Annie run away when she meets a patient?
5. What horrifies Annie at the train station?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)