|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the way home from her first visit to St. John's, why is Annie glad that Grandfather and Father are ignoring her?
(a) She's tired.
(b) She wants to write notes about her visit before she forgets the details.
(c) She doesn't want to talk about the visit.
(d) She has a headache.
2. Who are Frances and Charlie?
(a) Uncle Paul's children.
(b) Annie's cousins.
(c) Annie's friends from the neighborhood.
(d) The dog and cat.
3. Who takes Annie to St. John's the first time she visits?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Aunt Felicia.
(c) Her grandfather.
(d) Her father.
4. What book is Grandfather reading to the soldiers?
(a) Leatherstocking Tales.
(b) The Last of the Mohicans.
5. What is the Mayor's announcement on the Fourth of July?
(a) The city is buying a fire engine.
(b) They need volunteers to visit injured soldiers.
(c) A monument will be built to honor the soliders.
(d) The fireworks will begin after dark.
6. How will Annie spend her time this summer?
(a) Bible School.
(b) Some place other than Bible School.
(c) At Miss Peterson's house.
(d) Visting the hospital with Miss Peterson.
7. What horrifies Annie at the train station?
(a) Seeing Uncle Paul's body.
(b) The wounded men and their blank stares.
(c) A terrible accident at the station.
(d) A fight between two soldiers.
8. What is the name of Annie's dog?
9. When Miss Peterson makes insensitive comments during the Sunday School class outing, who does Annie defend?
(a) Her Sunday School class.
(b) The kids who spilled food on the floor.
(c) The employees where they are eating.
(d) The injured men and her father.
10. Why does Annie enjoy her grandmother's home-cooked meals?
(a) Because her grandmother teaches her to cook.
(b) Annie's mother has no real interest or talent for cooking.
(c) Annie's grandmother always prepares her favorite dishes.
(d) Annie's grandmother always bakes a special dessert.
11. When Annie and Mrs. Metcalf talk over breakfast the day after Dr. Metcalf returns home, what does Annie's mother say about what they saw at the train station?
(a) She sends Annie to her room.
(b) She listens to Annie and explains what was happening.
(c) She refuses to discuss the subject.
(d) She tells Annie to ask her father about the topic.
12. What did Annie's father do during the war?
(a) Served as an ambulance driver.
(b) Served as an airplane pilot.
(c) Served as an army officer in Europe.
(d) Served as a physician treating wounded soldiers.
13. After their first dinner together with father and their guests leave, what do the Metcalfs do together?
(a) Fix a snack.
(b) Go to bed.
(c) Annie and her father sit on the sofa while her mother plays the piano.
(d) Take a walk around the neighborhood.
14. What does the family do after dinner in Chapter 2?
(a) Sit on the front porch and also play croquet.
(b) Sing while Annie's mother plays the piano.
(c) Clean up the kitchen.
(d) Play checkers.
15. What does Annie's father want to discuss after dinner the day Annie visits St. John's for the first time?
(a) Whether she will go back to visit.
(b) About her experience at St. John's.
(c) What was her favorite part of her visit.
(d) Why she ran away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the Metcalfs need to shop for clothes the day after Dr. Metcalf returns home?
2. Where is the first place that Annie goes with her Sunday School class?
3. Who are Mrs. Metcalf's second group of friends?
4. What does Ruth show Annie?
5. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's after her second visit, what behavior bothers her and her grandfather?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)