|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Annie's father talk about in the evenings after work?
(a) His experiences during the war.
(b) Music, opera, and social issues.
(c) Uncle Paul.
(d) The nuns who run St. John's and the wounded soldiers.
2. The newspaper is on the steps when Annie returns home from the Sunday School outing. What is the front page headline?
(a) President Wilson to Visit Kansas City.
(b) Vice President Marshall to Visit Kansas City.
(c) World Peace Signed and Sealed at Versailles.
(d) War Monument Donations at 90%.
3. Why is Annie so interested in the things that Ruth shows her?
(a) She wants to know more about the war.
(b) She loves to read.
(c) She is fascinated by foreign-sounding names and exotic places that she might visit.
(d) She enjoys poetry.
4. Where would Annie's mother prefer that Annie's father work?
(a) His own private practice.
(b) County Hospital.
(c) Kansas City Memorial Hospital.
(d) St. John's Veterans Hospital.
5. What did Annie and her mother talk about during her father's absence?
(a) What they would do after the war.
(b) Routine things.
(c) The war.
(d) Uncle Paul.
6. When Annie returns from the Sunday School outing, what does she tell her parents?
(a) That she wants a friend to come over.
(b) That she wants to cook the family's meals this summer.
(c) That she wants to visit the hospital again.
(d) That she doesn't want to attend Sunday School this summer.
7. What do Mrs. Metcalf and her second group of friends like to do?
(a) Sit on the front porch and laugh and sing.
(b) Raise money for wounded soldiers.
(c) Knit and crochet.
(d) Attend operas and plays.
8. Why does Andrew not say goodbye to Annie as she leaves after visiting the hospital for a second time?
(a) He is upset by how rudely Mrs. Metcalf treated him.
(b) Someone has called him to come back inside.
(c) He did not realize she was leaving so soon.
(d) He does not want to see Annie leave.
9. What is the name of Annie's dog?
10. What does Annie do when her mother is working or playing the piano?
(a) Writes in her journal.
(b) Visits her grandparents or plays alone.
(c) Plays duets with her mother.
(d) Plays with friends.
11. Wounded soldiers arrive on the same train with Dr. Metcalf. Where are they going?
(a) St. John's Veterans Hospital.
(b) A convalescent home.
(c) To their homes.
(d) Kansas City Memorial Hospital.
12. How were most of the burned soldiers injured?
(a) A bomb.
(b) Mustard gas.
(d) Exploding gas tanks.
13. Who are Frances and Charlie?
(a) The dog and cat.
(b) Annie's friends from the neighborhood.
(c) Uncle Paul's children.
(d) Annie's cousins.
14. How has Annie's grandmother changed since Uncle Paul died?
(a) She cleans the house more frequently.
(b) Annie's grandmother used to sing all the time and be in a good mood.
(c) She has more time for charity work.
(d) She cries frequently.
15. Annie is meeting her father at the station. Who else would Annie like to be meeting at the train station?
(a) Her brother.
(b) A cousin who served in the war.
(c) Her grandparents.
(d) Uncle Paul.
Short Answer Questions
1. Annie runs away from one of the patients on her first visit to St. John's. Why does she go back?
2. What horrifies Annie at the train station?
3. Where does Annie's father work?
4. How do Annie and her grandfather get to St. John's when Annie returns for a second visit?
5. What does Annie's father want to discuss after dinner the day Annie visits St. John's for the first time?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)