|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Annie and her mother talk about during her father's absence?
(a) Uncle Paul.
(b) The war.
(c) Routine things.
(d) What they would do after the war.
2. What do Annie and her grandfather discuss when they play checkers?
(a) Annie's father.
(b) His experiences visiting the soldiers at St. John's.
(c) Uncle Paul.
(d) What Annie would like to do when she grows up.
3. When Annie and Mrs. Metcalf talk over breakfast the day after Dr. Metcalf returns home, what does Annie's mother say about what they saw at the train station?
(a) She sends Annie to her room.
(b) She tells Annie to ask her father about the topic.
(c) She listens to Annie and explains what was happening.
(d) She refuses to discuss the subject.
4. Why does Andrew not say goodbye to Annie as she leaves after visiting the hospital for a second time?
(a) He did not realize she was leaving so soon.
(b) Someone has called him to come back inside.
(c) He is upset by how rudely Mrs. Metcalf treated him.
(d) He does not want to see Annie leave.
5. Why is Annie's mother concerned about Annie's decision to do something different this summer?
(a) She thinks Annie shouldn't visit the hospital.
(b) She thinks Annie's friend is a bad influence.
(c) She thinks Annie will be bored.
(d) She doesn't think Annie can cook very well.
6. What did Annie's grandfather do when he heard his son had died?
(a) Punched his fist through a wall.
(b) Went for a long walk.
(c) Chopped wood for an hour.
(d) Did not talk for two days.
7. When does Chapter 3 take place?
(a) The next evening.
(b) The middle of the night when Annie is awakened by her parents' voices.
(c) The morning after Annie's father returns.
(d) Three days after Annie's father returns.
8. What do Annie and her Sunday School class see on their outing?
(a) Broken Blossom, a movie starring Lillian Gish.
(b) Clowns juggling.
(c) Wounded soldiers.
(d) Annie's pets.
9. What does Annie's father want to discuss after dinner the day Annie visits St. John's for the first time?
(a) What was her favorite part of her visit.
(b) Whether she will go back to visit.
(c) Why she ran away.
(d) About her experience at St. John's.
10. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, who comes to take her home?
(a) Annie's grandmother.
(b) Miss Peterson.
(c) Annie's mother.
(d) Annie's father.
11. On Annie's second visit to St. John's, what does Annie's grandfather do while she talks to one of the patients?
(a) Asks Andrew about his war experiences.
(b) Takes a nap.
(c) Eats a snack.
(d) Continues reading to Timothy.
12. Why does Annie enjoy her grandmother's home-cooked meals?
(a) Annie's grandmother always prepares her favorite dishes.
(b) Annie's mother has no real interest or talent for cooking.
(c) Because her grandmother teaches her to cook.
(d) Annie's grandmother always bakes a special dessert.
13. Where does Annie's father work?
(a) St. John's Veterans Hospital.
(b) His own private practice.
(c) Kansas City Memorial Hospital.
(d) County Hospital.
14. What is the name of the performance that Uncle Paul and Annie view together?
(a) Madame Butterfly.
(b) Romeo and Juliet.
(c) La Boheme.
(d) The Merry Wives of Windsor.
15. Why is Annie concerned about her grandfather as they begin the journey to go to St. John's for a second time?
(a) He has a cut on his hand.
(b) He is unsteady and breathing hard.
(c) He cut himself shaving.
(d) He slips and almost falls.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wounded soldiers arrive on the same train with Dr. Metcalf. Where are they going?
2. Who is the main character?
3. During Annie's second visit to St. John's, who do Annie and her grandfather meet?
4. After their first dinner together with father and their guests leave, what do the Metcalfs do together?
5. Why does Annie sometimes feel shut out of her mother's life?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)