|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Annie's mother feel about Grandfather's volunteer work at St. John's?
(a) She thinks it is an excellent cause and sometimes volunteers herself.
(b) She does not approve.
(c) She asks him if she can do the same type of volunteer work.
(d) She is glad and drives him whenever he needs a ride.
2. The evening after the Sunday School outing, why does Grandfather ask Annie if she is scared?
(a) She doesn't want to talk with Grandmother about St. John's.
(b) She does not want to tell her mother about the visit at St. John's.
(c) She does not want to talk about the incident at the ice cream shop.
(d) She doesn't want to ride the motorcycle with Father.
3. Who is the main character?
(a) Annie Metcalf.
(b) Angela Martin.
(c) Alexandra Mooney.
(d) Abigail McBride.
4. Why is Annie nervous about seeing her father again?
(a) She is afraid that he will be changed by the war.
(b) She is afraid that he doesn't love her mother anymore.
(c) She is afraid he won't recognize her.
(d) She is afraid that she will be in trouble for things she did while he was gone.
5. What did Annie and her mother talk about during her father's absence?
(a) What they would do after the war.
(b) The war.
(c) Uncle Paul.
(d) Routine things.
6. Where did Annie's father serve during the war?
(a) New York City.
(d) Kansas City.
7. Who has dinner almost ready when the Metcalfs arrive home from the train station?
(a) Aunt Felicia.
(c) Annie's grandmother.
(d) The housekeeper.
8. Why is Annie concerned about her grandfather as they begin the journey to go to St. John's for a second time?
(a) He cut himself shaving.
(b) He has a cut on his hand.
(c) He slips and almost falls.
(d) He is unsteady and breathing hard.
9. Who are Mrs. Metcalf's second group of friends?
(a) Mothers of Annie's school friends.
(b) Friends of Uncle Paul.
(c) Wives of doctors who work with Dr. Metcalf.
(d) Women who enjoy music and the arts.
10. Why, on her first visit to St. John's, does Annie run away when she meets a patient?
(a) He is horribly disfigured.
(b) She's shy and doesn't know what to say.
(c) He reminds her of Uncle Paul.
(d) He tries to flirt with her.
11. In the evening after Annie's Sunday School outing, why do she and Father go over to Grandfather's house?
(a) Buy some food.
(b) Listen to a sermon.
(c) Inspect Uncle Paul's motorcyle.
(d) Visit soldiers.
12. Who are Mrs. Metcalf's first group of friends?
(a) Other volunteers who work with her.
(b) Friends from the school she attended.
(c) Friends from church.
(d) Women from the neighborhood.
13. During the Sunday School outing, what does Miss Peterson tell Annie?
(a) Annie's father should have his own practice.
(b) Annie's father should be working at the county hospital.
(c) That she is glad that Annie's father is working at St. John's.
(d) Annie's father should not be associating with Catholics.
14. The next morning after father's return, what does Annie wish to discuss with her mother?
(a) If she can wear her new dress.
(b) The wounded men at the train station.
(c) If she can go to her grandparents' house.
(d) What happened to Uncle Paul.
15. On the way home from her first visit to St. John's, why is Annie glad that Grandfather and Father are ignoring her?
(a) She's tired.
(b) She has a headache.
(c) She wants to write notes about her visit before she forgets the details.
(d) She doesn't want to talk about the visit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Annie runs away from one of the patients on her first visit to St. John's. Why does she go back?
2. Why does Annie's mother often leave the room when Annie's father talks about his work?
3. What do Annie and her Sunday School class see on their outing?
4. On Annie's second visit to St. John's, what does Annie's grandfather do while she talks to one of the patients?
5. Why does Annie spend a lot of time alone now that it is summer?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)