|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Annie's father serve during the war?
(a) Kansas City.
(d) New York City.
2. On Annie's second visit to St. John's, why does Annie go find her father?
(a) To tell him that Grandfather is not feeling well.
(b) To ask him to take her home.
(c) To tell him she met the severely burned patient.
(d) She hadn't seen him since yesterday and wanted to talk with him.
3. In the evening after Annie's Sunday School outing, why do she and Father go over to Grandfather's house?
(a) Listen to a sermon.
(b) Visit soldiers.
(c) Inspect Uncle Paul's motorcyle.
(d) Buy some food.
4. Wounded soldiers arrive on the same train with Dr. Metcalf. Where are they going?
(a) Kansas City Memorial Hospital.
(b) A convalescent home.
(c) St. John's Veterans Hospital.
(d) To their homes.
5. While Annie waits for her father at the train station, what images does Annie keep seeing even though she closes her eyes?
(a) The wounded men she saw at the station.
(b) What she will have for dinner when they get home.
(c) The look on her father's face when he first saw her.
(d) The accident outside the station.
6. On the way home from the train station, what day does Annie remember?
(a) The day her grandfather died.
(b) The day her father left.
(c) The day she and her mother went shopping.
(d) The day the family learned that Uncle Paul had died.
7. What does Annie usually enjoy on the Fourth of July?
(a) Spending time with her cousins.
(b) Picnics with Grandmother's delicious food, the parade, and most of all the fireworks.
(c) Spending the day with friends.
(d) The cotton candy and the special circus performance.
8. What book is Grandfather reading to the soldiers?
(a) Leatherstocking Tales.
(d) The Last of the Mohicans.
9. On the way home from her first visit to St. John's, why is Annie glad that Grandfather and Father are ignoring her?
(a) She has a headache.
(b) She doesn't want to talk about the visit.
(c) She wants to write notes about her visit before she forgets the details.
(d) She's tired.
10. When Miss Peterson makes insensitive comments during the Sunday School class outing, who does Annie defend?
(a) The kids who spilled food on the floor.
(b) The injured men and her father.
(c) Her Sunday School class.
(d) The employees where they are eating.
11. How do Annie and her grandfather get to St. John's when Annie returns for a second visit?
(a) Grandfather drives his car.
(b) They walk.
(c) On the trolley.
(d) Annie's father takes them.
12. What horrifies Annie at the train station?
(a) The wounded men and their blank stares.
(b) Seeing Uncle Paul's body.
(c) A terrible accident at the station.
(d) A fight between two soldiers.
13. What does the family do after dinner in Chapter 2?
(a) Play checkers.
(b) Sit on the front porch and also play croquet.
(c) Sing while Annie's mother plays the piano.
(d) Clean up the kitchen.
14. Annie is meeting her father at the station. Who else would Annie like to be meeting at the train station?
(a) Her brother.
(b) A cousin who served in the war.
(c) Her grandparents.
(d) Uncle Paul.
15. How were most of the burned soldiers injured?
(a) Exploding gas tanks.
(b) Mustard gas.
(d) A bomb.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the grownups that greet Annie and her parents when they arrive home from the train station?
2. What is the Mayor's announcement on the Fourth of July?
3. When her father was gone, what time of day did Annie most miss her father?
4. Where would Annie's mother prefer that Annie's father work?
5. When Annie returns from the Sunday School outing, what does she tell her parents?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)