|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are Frances and Charlie?
(a) Annie's friends from the neighborhood.
(b) Uncle Paul's children.
(c) Annie's cousins.
(d) The dog and cat.
2. Annie runs away from one of the patients on her first visit to St. John's. Why does she go back?
(a) She drops her book and goes back to get it.
(b) She thinks of something she would like to ask the soldier.
(c) She tells her grandfather and he asks her to go back.
(d) Her father asks her to go back.
3. After their first dinner together with father and their guests leave, what do the Metcalfs do together?
(a) Go to bed.
(b) Take a walk around the neighborhood.
(c) Annie and her father sit on the sofa while her mother plays the piano.
(d) Fix a snack.
4. Why doesn't Annie enjoy the fireworks on the Fourth of July?
(a) She doesn't have a good view of the fireworks.
(b) The fireworks are not as spectacular as usual.
(c) She doesn't like the noise the fireworks make.
(d) She dreads the visit she will make with her grandfather to St. John's.
5. Which army used the agent that injured the soldiers?
(a) The French army.
(b) Both armies.
(c) The German army.
(d) The American army.
6. After the mayor's big announcement on the Fourth of July, why don't Father and Ruth want to see the plans?
(a) They think too many people will come to the hospital.
(b) They think the new fire engine is too expensive.
(c) They have already seen the plans.
(d) They think the monument will glorify the unnecessary loss of lives.
7. On the way home from her first visit to St. John's, why is Annie glad that Grandfather and Father are ignoring her?
(a) She doesn't want to talk about the visit.
(b) She wants to write notes about her visit before she forgets the details.
(c) She has a headache.
(d) She's tired.
8. After Dr. Metcalf arrives on the train, who drives home from the station?
(a) Annie's mother.
(b) Annie's father.
(d) Annie's grandparents.
9. What happens when Uncle Paul visits one evening and Mrs. Metcalf is gone?
(a) He goes back home.
(b) He and Annie go for a walk in the park.
(c) He takes Annie to get ice cream.
(d) He and Annie go for a ride on his motorcycle.
10. Why do the Metcalfs need to shop for clothes the day after Dr. Metcalf returns home?
(a) Dr. Metcalf has lost weight.
(b) Dr. Metcalf needs more uniforms for work.
(c) Dr. Metcalf has gained weight.
(d) Dr. Metcalf's luggage got lost on the train.
11. Who takes Annie to St. John's the first time she visits?
(a) Her grandfather.
(b) Aunt Felicia.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
12. When Miss Peterson makes insensitive comments during the Sunday School class outing, who does Annie defend?
(a) The employees where they are eating.
(b) The injured men and her father.
(c) The kids who spilled food on the floor.
(d) Her Sunday School class.
13. Where does Uncle Paul invite Annie to go with him on one night in June?
(a) A movie.
(b) The opera.
(c) A musical.
(d) A Shakespearean play.
14. Where did Annie's father serve during the war?
(a) New York City.
(c) Kansas City.
15. The newspaper is on the steps when Annie returns home from the Sunday School outing. What is the front page headline?
(a) War Monument Donations at 90%.
(b) Vice President Marshall to Visit Kansas City.
(c) World Peace Signed and Sealed at Versailles.
(d) President Wilson to Visit Kansas City.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annie usually enjoy on the Fourth of July?
2. How has Annie's grandmother changed since Uncle Paul died?
3. How were most of the burned soldiers injured?
4. Why is Annie's mother concerned about Annie's decision to do something different this summer?
5. Where does Annie's father work?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)