|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Annie's grandfather do when he heard his son had died?
(a) Went for a long walk.
(b) Did not talk for two days.
(c) Punched his fist through a wall.
(d) Chopped wood for an hour.
2. The first evening Annie spends alone with her uncle, he tells her that she is "a person of taste." Why does he say that?
(a) Annie likes the songs he sings.
(b) Annie appreciates his music.
(c) Annie appreciates his motorcycle.
(d) Annie bakes good cookies.
3. What incident do Annie and her father discuss regarding her first visit to the hospital?
(a) What she had for lunch.
(b) What she is going to do later in the week.
(c) Why she ran away.
(d) Annie's encounter with the man with the burned face.
4. What are Annie's favorite summer activities?
(a) Reading and visiting the library.
(b) Taking long walks.
(c) Playing the piano.
(d) Playing checkers with her grandfather.
5. Where would Annie's mother prefer that Annie's father work?
(a) St. John's Veterans Hospital.
(b) Kansas City Memorial Hospital.
(c) His own private practice.
(d) County Hospital.
6. Why, on her first visit to St. John's, does Annie run away when she meets a patient?
(a) She's shy and doesn't know what to say.
(b) He reminds her of Uncle Paul.
(c) He is horribly disfigured.
(d) He tries to flirt with her.
7. The first Saturday after her father arrives, Annie's father is already awake and gone. Why is Annie almost glad he isn't home?
(a) She is not ready to share Mother yet.
(b) She is still shy around him.
(c) She does not want to show him her report card.
(d) She's not ready to talk about what she did when he was gone.
8. On the way home from her first visit to St. John's, why is Annie glad that Grandfather and Father are ignoring her?
(a) She doesn't want to talk about the visit.
(b) She has a headache.
(c) She wants to write notes about her visit before she forgets the details.
(d) She's tired.
9. How does Annie's mother react to what she sees at the train station?
(a) She decides to help the wounded soldiers.
(b) She starts an argument.
(c) She laughs.
(d) She is disturbed to see all the wounded soldiers.
10. What does Ruth show Annie?
(a) Her favorite poetry books.
(b) Sheet music.
(d) Books about war.
11. After their first dinner together with father and their guests leave, what do the Metcalfs do together?
(a) Go to bed.
(b) Fix a snack.
(c) Annie and her father sit on the sofa while her mother plays the piano.
(d) Take a walk around the neighborhood.
12. Who takes Annie to St. John's the first time she visits?
(a) Her grandfather.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Aunt Felicia.
13. Annie runs away from one of the patients on her first visit to St. John's. Why does she go back?
(a) She thinks of something she would like to ask the soldier.
(b) She tells her grandfather and he asks her to go back.
(c) She drops her book and goes back to get it.
(d) Her father asks her to go back.
14. How does Annie celebrate the Fourth of July this summer?
(a) Watching the fireworks from their backyard.
(b) At a picnic in the park with her family and other families.
(c) Singing the national anthem with friends and neighbors.
(d) Visiting the hospital.
15. Why is Annie concerned about her grandfather as they begin the journey to go to St. John's for a second time?
(a) He slips and almost falls.
(b) He has a cut on his hand.
(c) He cut himself shaving.
(d) He is unsteady and breathing hard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Annie sometimes feel shut out of her mother's life?
2. What was Annie doing when she learned that her uncle died?
3. What does Annie do when her mother is working or playing the piano?
4. What does Annie's Sunday School teacher find disgusting?
5. What is the Mayor's announcement on the Fourth of July?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)