|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On Annie's second visit to St. John's, what does Annie's grandfather do while she talks to one of the patients?
(a) Continues reading to Timothy.
(b) Takes a nap.
(c) Asks Andrew about his war experiences.
(d) Eats a snack.
2. Why is Annie so interested in the things that Ruth shows her?
(a) She loves to read.
(b) She enjoys poetry.
(c) She wants to know more about the war.
(d) She is fascinated by foreign-sounding names and exotic places that she might visit.
3. Why is Annie concerned about her grandfather as they begin the journey to go to St. John's for a second time?
(a) He cut himself shaving.
(b) He is unsteady and breathing hard.
(c) He has a cut on his hand.
(d) He slips and almost falls.
4. How will Annie spend her time this summer?
(a) Visting the hospital with Miss Peterson.
(b) Some place other than Bible School.
(c) Bible School.
(d) At Miss Peterson's house.
5. After their first dinner together with father and their guests leave, what do the Metcalfs do together?
(a) Take a walk around the neighborhood.
(b) Fix a snack.
(c) Annie and her father sit on the sofa while her mother plays the piano.
(d) Go to bed.
6. Where does Uncle Paul invite Annie to go with him on one night in June?
(a) The opera.
(b) A movie.
(c) A Shakespearean play.
(d) A musical.
7. How does Annie's mother react to what she sees at the train station?
(a) She starts an argument.
(b) She laughs.
(c) She is disturbed to see all the wounded soldiers.
(d) She decides to help the wounded soldiers.
8. While Annie waits for her father at the train station, what images does Annie keep seeing even though she closes her eyes?
(a) The look on her father's face when he first saw her.
(b) The accident outside the station.
(c) The wounded men she saw at the station.
(d) What she will have for dinner when they get home.
9. Annie runs away from one of the patients on her first visit to St. John's. Why does she go back?
(a) She tells her grandfather and he asks her to go back.
(b) Her father asks her to go back.
(c) She thinks of something she would like to ask the soldier.
(d) She drops her book and goes back to get it.
10. When her father was gone, what time of day did Annie most miss her father?
(a) Morning at breakfast, when they discussed plans for the day.
(b) Afternoons when her father would pick her up from school.
(c) Lunches on Saturday when they would have picnics.
(d) Evening, when she would run to meet him after work.
11. When Annie returns from the Sunday School outing, what does she tell her parents?
(a) That she wants a friend to come over.
(b) That she doesn't want to attend Sunday School this summer.
(c) That she wants to cook the family's meals this summer.
(d) That she wants to visit the hospital again.
12. What horrifies Annie at the train station?
(a) A terrible accident at the station.
(b) The wounded men and their blank stares.
(c) Seeing Uncle Paul's body.
(d) A fight between two soldiers.
13. What was Annie doing when she learned that her uncle died?
(a) Baking cookies with her mother.
(b) Reading at the library.
(c) Walking around her neighborhood.
(d) Making raspberry jam with her grandmother.
14. Why doesn't Annie enjoy the fireworks on the Fourth of July?
(a) She doesn't like the noise the fireworks make.
(b) She doesn't have a good view of the fireworks.
(c) She dreads the visit she will make with her grandfather to St. John's.
(d) The fireworks are not as spectacular as usual.
15. What does Annie do when her mother is working or playing the piano?
(a) Writes in her journal.
(b) Visits her grandparents or plays alone.
(c) Plays duets with her mother.
(d) Plays with friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wounded soldiers arrive on the same train with Dr. Metcalf. Where are they going?
2. The next morning after father's return, what does Annie wish to discuss with her mother?
3. What is the name of Annie's dog?
4. How does Annie's mother feel about Grandfather's volunteer work at St. John's?
5. Which army used the agent that injured the soldiers?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)