|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Annie's Sunday School teacher find disgusting?
(a) The disfigured and injured men.
(b) Annie's ice cream.
(c) The bathroom.
(d) The food that gets spilled on the floor.
2. What do Annie and her Sunday School class see on their outing?
(a) Clowns juggling.
(b) Wounded soldiers.
(c) Broken Blossom, a movie starring Lillian Gish.
(d) Annie's pets.
3. While Annie waits for her father at the train station, what images does Annie keep seeing even though she closes her eyes?
(a) What she will have for dinner when they get home.
(b) The wounded men she saw at the station.
(c) The accident outside the station.
(d) The look on her father's face when he first saw her.
4. What do Mrs. Metcalf and her first group of friends like to do?
(a) Persuade other women to volunteer to help wounded soldiers.
(b) Work for women's rights and other political and social issues.
(c) Bake elaborate desserts.
(d) Discuss books they've read.
5. What book is Grandfather reading to the soldiers?
(b) Leatherstocking Tales.
(d) The Last of the Mohicans.
6. How did Annie and her mother get along while her father was gone?
(a) They went their separate ways.
(b) They grew closer together.
(c) They argued constantly.
(d) They were civil, but did not have a close relationship.
7. What do Mrs. Metcalf and her second group of friends like to do?
(a) Knit and crochet.
(b) Raise money for wounded soldiers.
(c) Attend operas and plays.
(d) Sit on the front porch and laugh and sing.
8. How does Annie's mother react to what she sees at the train station?
(a) She laughs.
(b) She decides to help the wounded soldiers.
(c) She starts an argument.
(d) She is disturbed to see all the wounded soldiers.
9. On the way home from her first visit to St. John's, why is Annie glad that Grandfather and Father are ignoring her?
(a) She has a headache.
(b) She doesn't want to talk about the visit.
(c) She wants to write notes about her visit before she forgets the details.
(d) She's tired.
10. How many siblings does Annie have?
(a) One sister.
(b) One brother.
(c) None, she is an only child.
(d) Two brothers and one sister.
11. What does Annie's father want to discuss after dinner the day Annie visits St. John's for the first time?
(a) What was her favorite part of her visit.
(b) Whether she will go back to visit.
(c) Why she ran away.
(d) About her experience at St. John's.
12. Where does Annie live?
(b) New York City.
(c) Kansas City.
(d) Grand Island.
13. On Annie's second visit to St. John's, what does Annie's grandfather do while she talks to one of the patients?
(a) Eats a snack.
(b) Asks Andrew about his war experiences.
(c) Continues reading to Timothy.
(d) Takes a nap.
14. Why does Andrew not say goodbye to Annie as she leaves after visiting the hospital for a second time?
(a) He is upset by how rudely Mrs. Metcalf treated him.
(b) He does not want to see Annie leave.
(c) Someone has called him to come back inside.
(d) He did not realize she was leaving so soon.
15. How does Annie's mother feel about Grandfather's volunteer work at St. John's?
(a) She is glad and drives him whenever he needs a ride.
(b) She thinks it is an excellent cause and sometimes volunteers herself.
(c) She asks him if she can do the same type of volunteer work.
(d) She does not approve.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ruth show Annie?
2. Why does Annie enjoy her grandmother's home-cooked meals?
3. Why, on her first visit to St. John's, does Annie run away when she meets a patient?
4. Why is Annie's mother concerned about Annie's decision to do something different this summer?
5. When does Chapter 3 take place?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)