|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's after her second visit, what behavior bothers her and her grandfather?
(a) The weather.
(b) That Annie has to leave so soon.
(c) Andrew's terrible burns.
(d) How rudely Annie's mother acts.
2. When her father was gone, what time of day did Annie most miss her father?
(a) Morning at breakfast, when they discussed plans for the day.
(b) Lunches on Saturday when they would have picnics.
(c) Afternoons when her father would pick her up from school.
(d) Evening, when she would run to meet him after work.
3. When Annie returns from the Sunday School outing, what does she tell her parents?
(a) That she wants a friend to come over.
(b) That she wants to cook the family's meals this summer.
(c) That she doesn't want to attend Sunday School this summer.
(d) That she wants to visit the hospital again.
4. What is the Mayor's announcement on the Fourth of July?
(a) The fireworks will begin after dark.
(b) The city is buying a fire engine.
(c) They need volunteers to visit injured soldiers.
(d) A monument will be built to honor the soliders.
5. The next morning after father's return, what does Annie wish to discuss with her mother?
(a) What happened to Uncle Paul.
(b) If she can go to her grandparents' house.
(c) The wounded men at the train station.
(d) If she can wear her new dress.
6. On Annie's second visit to St. John's, why does Annie go find her father?
(a) To tell him she met the severely burned patient.
(b) To tell him that Grandfather is not feeling well.
(c) To ask him to take her home.
(d) She hadn't seen him since yesterday and wanted to talk with him.
7. Who are Mrs. Metcalf's first group of friends?
(a) Other volunteers who work with her.
(b) Friends from the school she attended.
(c) Friends from church.
(d) Women from the neighborhood.
8. In the evening after Annie's Sunday School outing, why do she and Father go over to Grandfather's house?
(a) Inspect Uncle Paul's motorcyle.
(b) Visit soldiers.
(c) Listen to a sermon.
(d) Buy some food.
9. How has Annie's grandmother changed since Uncle Paul died?
(a) She has more time for charity work.
(b) Annie's grandmother used to sing all the time and be in a good mood.
(c) She cleans the house more frequently.
(d) She cries frequently.
10. Who takes Annie to St. John's the first time she visits?
(a) Her grandfather.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Aunt Felicia.
11. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, who comes to take her home?
(a) Annie's father.
(b) Annie's mother.
(c) Miss Peterson.
(d) Annie's grandmother.
12. Why does Andrew not say goodbye to Annie as she leaves after visiting the hospital for a second time?
(a) He did not realize she was leaving so soon.
(b) He does not want to see Annie leave.
(c) He is upset by how rudely Mrs. Metcalf treated him.
(d) Someone has called him to come back inside.
13. Where does the Sunday School class go next?
(a) To Miss Peterson's house.
(b) Blair's Ice Cream and Candy Parlor.
(c) Back to the church.
(d) To a restaurant.
14. Where would Annie's mother prefer that Annie's father work?
(a) His own private practice.
(b) St. John's Veterans Hospital.
(c) County Hospital.
(d) Kansas City Memorial Hospital.
15. How did Annie and her mother get along while her father was gone?
(a) They grew closer together.
(b) They were civil, but did not have a close relationship.
(c) They argued constantly.
(d) They went their separate ways.
Short Answer Questions
1. The evening after the Sunday School outing, why does Grandfather ask Annie if she is scared?
2. What does Annie usually enjoy on the Fourth of July?
3. What does the family do after dinner in Chapter 2?
4. What did Annie's father do during the war?
5. What does Annie's father talk about in the evenings after work?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)