|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Mrs. Metcalf and her first group of friends like to do?
(a) Discuss books they've read.
(b) Work for women's rights and other political and social issues.
(c) Persuade other women to volunteer to help wounded soldiers.
(d) Bake elaborate desserts.
2. Which army used the agent that injured the soldiers?
(a) The American army.
(b) Both armies.
(c) The French army.
(d) The German army.
3. What did Annie's grandfather do when he heard his son had died?
(a) Did not talk for two days.
(b) Punched his fist through a wall.
(c) Chopped wood for an hour.
(d) Went for a long walk.
4. After Dr. Metcalf arrives on the train, who drives home from the station?
(b) Annie's grandparents.
(c) Annie's father.
(d) Annie's mother.
5. On the way home from her first visit to St. John's, why is Annie glad that Grandfather and Father are ignoring her?
(a) She wants to write notes about her visit before she forgets the details.
(b) She's tired.
(c) She doesn't want to talk about the visit.
(d) She has a headache.
6. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's after her second visit, what behavior bothers her and her grandfather?
(a) How rudely Annie's mother acts.
(b) Andrew's terrible burns.
(c) The weather.
(d) That Annie has to leave so soon.
7. The evening after the Sunday School outing, why does Grandfather ask Annie if she is scared?
(a) She doesn't want to talk with Grandmother about St. John's.
(b) She doesn't want to ride the motorcycle with Father.
(c) She does not want to talk about the incident at the ice cream shop.
(d) She does not want to tell her mother about the visit at St. John's.
8. What does Annie's father talk about in the evenings after work?
(a) Uncle Paul.
(b) His experiences during the war.
(c) The nuns who run St. John's and the wounded soldiers.
(d) Music, opera, and social issues.
9. On Annie's second visit to St. John's, what does Annie's grandfather do while she talks to one of the patients?
(a) Continues reading to Timothy.
(b) Takes a nap.
(c) Asks Andrew about his war experiences.
(d) Eats a snack.
10. When Annie visits St. John's again, what does she bring to share?
(a) Books about Europe.
(b) A photograph of her family.
(c) A photograph of Uncle Paul.
(d) Oatmeal cookies and her books of maps.
11. When her father was gone, what time of day did Annie most miss her father?
(a) Afternoons when her father would pick her up from school.
(b) Evening, when she would run to meet him after work.
(c) Morning at breakfast, when they discussed plans for the day.
(d) Lunches on Saturday when they would have picnics.
12. In the evening after Annie's Sunday School outing, why do she and Father go over to Grandfather's house?
(a) Visit soldiers.
(b) Listen to a sermon.
(c) Buy some food.
(d) Inspect Uncle Paul's motorcyle.
13. Who is Ruth?
(a) The mother of one of Annie's school friends.
(b) A friend of Annie's grandmother.
(c) Annie's mother's friend and a librarian.
(d) Annie's mother's friend and a muscian.
14. Who are Mrs. Metcalf's second group of friends?
(a) Women who enjoy music and the arts.
(b) Mothers of Annie's school friends.
(c) Wives of doctors who work with Dr. Metcalf.
(d) Friends of Uncle Paul.
15. Why does Annie enjoy her grandmother's home-cooked meals?
(a) Annie's grandmother always prepares her favorite dishes.
(b) Annie's mother has no real interest or talent for cooking.
(c) Annie's grandmother always bakes a special dessert.
(d) Because her grandmother teaches her to cook.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Annie's dog?
2. On Annie's second visit to St. John's, why does Annie go find her father?
3. How does Annie celebrate the Fourth of July this summer?
4. How did Annie and her mother get along while her father was gone?
5. How were most of the burned soldiers injured?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)