|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many siblings does Annie have?
(a) Two brothers and one sister.
(b) None, she is an only child.
(c) One brother.
(d) One sister.
2. What do Mrs. Metcalf and her second group of friends like to do?
(a) Sit on the front porch and laugh and sing.
(b) Attend operas and plays.
(c) Knit and crochet.
(d) Raise money for wounded soldiers.
3. Where does Uncle Paul invite Annie to go with him on one night in June?
(a) The opera.
(b) A movie.
(c) A musical.
(d) A Shakespearean play.
4. In the evening after Annie's Sunday School outing, why do she and Father go over to Grandfather's house?
(a) Inspect Uncle Paul's motorcyle.
(b) Visit soldiers.
(c) Listen to a sermon.
(d) Buy some food.
5. Where did Annie's father serve during the war?
(a) Kansas City.
(c) New York City.
6. Why does Annie sometimes feel shut out of her mother's life?
(a) Her mother's volunteer work.
(b) Her mother's two groups of friends.
(c) Her mother is rarely home.
(d) Her mother's frequent illnesses.
7. What did Annie's grandfather do when he heard his son had died?
(a) Went for a long walk.
(b) Did not talk for two days.
(c) Punched his fist through a wall.
(d) Chopped wood for an hour.
8. What does Annie usually enjoy on the Fourth of July?
(a) Picnics with Grandmother's delicious food, the parade, and most of all the fireworks.
(b) The cotton candy and the special circus performance.
(c) Spending time with her cousins.
(d) Spending the day with friends.
9. What does Annie's Sunday School teacher find disgusting?
(a) The bathroom.
(b) Annie's ice cream.
(c) The disfigured and injured men.
(d) The food that gets spilled on the floor.
10. The first time Annie visits the hospital, who gives her a tour?
(a) Her father.
(b) No one.
(c) One of the nuns.
(d) Her grandfather.
11. Why does Annie's mother often leave the room when Annie's father talks about his work?
(a) She's tired and goes to bed early.
(b) She likes to read for a while before she retires for the evening.
(c) She has a piece of music to finish.
(d) She doesn't want to hear anything about the wounded soldiers.
12. How were most of the burned soldiers injured?
(a) Mustard gas.
(b) A bomb.
(c) Exploding gas tanks.
13. On Annie's second visit to St. John's, what does Annie discuss with one of the patients?
(a) The terrible things he encountered when he was fighting in France.
(b) The weather.
(c) The patient's family.
(d) Annie's father and how his work at the hospital.
14. Who are Mrs. Metcalf's second group of friends?
(a) Mothers of Annie's school friends.
(b) Women who enjoy music and the arts.
(c) Friends of Uncle Paul.
(d) Wives of doctors who work with Dr. Metcalf.
15. Why does Annie enjoy her grandmother's home-cooked meals?
(a) Because her grandmother teaches her to cook.
(b) Annie's grandmother always prepares her favorite dishes.
(c) Annie's grandmother always bakes a special dessert.
(d) Annie's mother has no real interest or talent for cooking.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Andrew not say goodbye to Annie as she leaves after visiting the hospital for a second time?
2. Why is Annie nervous about seeing her father again?
3. How does Mrs. Metcalf spend most of her days?
4. How has Annie's grandmother changed since Uncle Paul died?
5. The evening after the Sunday School outing, why does Grandfather ask Annie if she is scared?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)