|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Annie's father work?
(a) St. John's Veterans Hospital.
(b) Kansas City Memorial Hospital.
(c) County Hospital.
(d) His own private practice.
2. On Annie's second visit to St. John's, why does Annie go find her father?
(a) She hadn't seen him since yesterday and wanted to talk with him.
(b) To tell him she met the severely burned patient.
(c) To ask him to take her home.
(d) To tell him that Grandfather is not feeling well.
3. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's after her second visit, what behavior bothers her and her grandfather?
(a) Andrew's terrible burns.
(b) The weather.
(c) That Annie has to leave so soon.
(d) How rudely Annie's mother acts.
4. How many siblings does Annie have?
(a) None, she is an only child.
(b) One brother.
(c) Two brothers and one sister.
(d) One sister.
5. Annie runs away from one of the patients on her first visit to St. John's. Why does she go back?
(a) Her father asks her to go back.
(b) She drops her book and goes back to get it.
(c) She thinks of something she would like to ask the soldier.
(d) She tells her grandfather and he asks her to go back.
6. What does Annie's father want to discuss after dinner the day Annie visits St. John's for the first time?
(a) About her experience at St. John's.
(b) Why she ran away.
(c) What was her favorite part of her visit.
(d) Whether she will go back to visit.
7. What does Annie do when her mother is working or playing the piano?
(a) Plays with friends.
(b) Writes in her journal.
(c) Plays duets with her mother.
(d) Visits her grandparents or plays alone.
8. How does Annie's mother react to what she sees at the train station?
(a) She starts an argument.
(b) She is disturbed to see all the wounded soldiers.
(c) She decides to help the wounded soldiers.
(d) She laughs.
9. The evening after the Sunday School outing, why does Grandfather ask Annie if she is scared?
(a) She does not want to tell her mother about the visit at St. John's.
(b) She doesn't want to ride the motorcycle with Father.
(c) She does not want to talk about the incident at the ice cream shop.
(d) She doesn't want to talk with Grandmother about St. John's.
10. Who has dinner almost ready when the Metcalfs arrive home from the train station?
(a) The housekeeper.
(c) Aunt Felicia.
(d) Annie's grandmother.
11. How does Annie celebrate the Fourth of July this summer?
(a) Singing the national anthem with friends and neighbors.
(b) Watching the fireworks from their backyard.
(c) At a picnic in the park with her family and other families.
(d) Visiting the hospital.
12. Where does Annie live?
(a) Grand Island.
(b) New York City.
(d) Kansas City.
13. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, who comes to take her home?
(a) Miss Peterson.
(b) Annie's mother.
(c) Annie's grandmother.
(d) Annie's father.
14. During Annie's second visit to St. John's, who do Annie and her grandfather meet?
(a) Andrew Clayton, the man with the severe burns.
(b) One of the nuns.
(c) Timothy Lewis, the man who is blind.
(d) A priest at the hospital.
15. What does Annie usually enjoy on the Fourth of July?
(a) Spending time with her cousins.
(b) The cotton candy and the special circus performance.
(c) Picnics with Grandmother's delicious food, the parade, and most of all the fireworks.
(d) Spending the day with friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the first place that Annie goes with her Sunday School class?
2. Where does Uncle Paul invite Annie to go with him on one night in June?
3. Who is Ruth?
4. Grandfather and Dr. Metcalf are out walking the morning after Dr. Metcalf's return. Why does Grandfather tell Dr. Metcalf he is a brave man?
5. Why is Annie concerned about her grandfather as they begin the journey to go to St. John's for a second time?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)