|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the family do after dinner in Chapter 2?
(a) Sing while Annie's mother plays the piano.
(b) Clean up the kitchen.
(c) Play checkers.
(d) Sit on the front porch and also play croquet.
2. Which army used the agent that injured the soldiers?
(a) The German army.
(b) The American army.
(c) The French army.
(d) Both armies.
3. What does Annie's Sunday School teacher find disgusting?
(a) The food that gets spilled on the floor.
(b) Annie's ice cream.
(c) The disfigured and injured men.
(d) The bathroom.
4. What did Annie's grandmother do when she heard that her son had died?
(a) Went to talk with a friend.
(b) Played sad songs on the piano.
(c) Scrubbed the kitchen floor.
(d) Stayed in her room grieving for several days.
5. Wounded soldiers arrive on the same train with Dr. Metcalf. Where are they going?
(a) To their homes.
(b) Kansas City Memorial Hospital.
(c) St. John's Veterans Hospital.
(d) A convalescent home.
6. How does Annie celebrate the Fourth of July this summer?
(a) At a picnic in the park with her family and other families.
(b) Singing the national anthem with friends and neighbors.
(c) Visiting the hospital.
(d) Watching the fireworks from their backyard.
7. How has Annie's grandmother changed since Uncle Paul died?
(a) Annie's grandmother used to sing all the time and be in a good mood.
(b) She cries frequently.
(c) She has more time for charity work.
(d) She cleans the house more frequently.
8. Who has dinner almost ready when the Metcalfs arrive home from the train station?
(a) Aunt Felicia.
(c) The housekeeper.
(d) Annie's grandmother.
9. What is the Mayor's announcement on the Fourth of July?
(a) They need volunteers to visit injured soldiers.
(b) A monument will be built to honor the soliders.
(c) The fireworks will begin after dark.
(d) The city is buying a fire engine.
10. How does Annie's mother feel about Grandfather's volunteer work at St. John's?
(a) She does not approve.
(b) She asks him if she can do the same type of volunteer work.
(c) She thinks it is an excellent cause and sometimes volunteers herself.
(d) She is glad and drives him whenever he needs a ride.
11. What book is Grandfather reading to the soldiers?
(b) The Last of the Mohicans.
(c) Leatherstocking Tales.
12. Where does the Sunday School class go next?
(a) To a restaurant.
(b) To Miss Peterson's house.
(c) Blair's Ice Cream and Candy Parlor.
(d) Back to the church.
13. Who is Ruth?
(a) A friend of Annie's grandmother.
(b) The mother of one of Annie's school friends.
(c) Annie's mother's friend and a muscian.
(d) Annie's mother's friend and a librarian.
14. The evening after the Sunday School outing, why does Grandfather ask Annie if she is scared?
(a) She doesn't want to ride the motorcycle with Father.
(b) She does not want to talk about the incident at the ice cream shop.
(c) She doesn't want to talk with Grandmother about St. John's.
(d) She does not want to tell her mother about the visit at St. John's.
15. Annie is meeting her father at the station. Who else would Annie like to be meeting at the train station?
(a) A cousin who served in the war.
(b) Her grandparents.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Uncle Paul.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the grownups that greet Annie and her parents when they arrive home from the train station?
2. What does Annie's father want to discuss after dinner the day Annie visits St. John's for the first time?
3. What was Annie doing when she learned that her uncle died?
4. How do Annie and her grandfather get to St. John's when Annie returns for a second visit?
5. What is Annie's mother's name?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)