|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Annie and her mother talk about during her father's absence?
(a) Routine things.
(b) Uncle Paul.
(c) What they would do after the war.
(d) The war.
2. How do Annie and her grandfather get to St. John's when Annie returns for a second visit?
(a) On the trolley.
(b) Annie's father takes them.
(c) Grandfather drives his car.
(d) They walk.
3. The first time Annie visits the hospital, who gives her a tour?
(a) One of the nuns.
(b) No one.
(c) Her grandfather.
(d) Her father.
4. Who has dinner almost ready when the Metcalfs arrive home from the train station?
(a) Aunt Felicia.
(b) The housekeeper.
(d) Annie's grandmother.
5. Where does Uncle Paul invite Annie to go with him on one night in June?
(a) A musical.
(b) A movie.
(c) A Shakespearean play.
(d) The opera.
6. Where is the first place that Annie goes with her Sunday School class?
(a) The hospital.
(b) Annie's house.
(c) A movie.
(d) The city park.
7. During Annie's second visit to St. John's, who do Annie and her grandfather meet?
(a) Timothy Lewis, the man who is blind.
(b) A priest at the hospital.
(c) One of the nuns.
(d) Andrew Clayton, the man with the severe burns.
8. What incident do Annie and her father discuss regarding her first visit to the hospital?
(a) Annie's encounter with the man with the burned face.
(b) What she is going to do later in the week.
(c) Why she ran away.
(d) What she had for lunch.
9. Which army used the agent that injured the soldiers?
(a) Both armies.
(b) The American army.
(c) The French army.
(d) The German army.
10. When Annie visits St. John's again, what does she bring to share?
(a) Books about Europe.
(b) A photograph of Uncle Paul.
(c) Oatmeal cookies and her books of maps.
(d) A photograph of her family.
11. When Annie's grandfather visits St. John's, what does he do?
(b) Changes bandages.
12. How did Annie and her mother get along while her father was gone?
(a) They grew closer together.
(b) They went their separate ways.
(c) They were civil, but did not have a close relationship.
(d) They argued constantly.
13. On the way home from her first visit to St. John's, why is Annie glad that Grandfather and Father are ignoring her?
(a) She doesn't want to talk about the visit.
(b) She wants to write notes about her visit before she forgets the details.
(c) She has a headache.
(d) She's tired.
14. How does Annie celebrate the Fourth of July this summer?
(a) At a picnic in the park with her family and other families.
(b) Visiting the hospital.
(c) Watching the fireworks from their backyard.
(d) Singing the national anthem with friends and neighbors.
15. When does Chapter 3 take place?
(a) The next evening.
(b) The middle of the night when Annie is awakened by her parents' voices.
(c) The morning after Annie's father returns.
(d) Three days after Annie's father returns.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the main character?
2. What did Annie's grandmother do when she heard that her son had died?
3. Wounded soldiers arrive on the same train with Dr. Metcalf. Where are they going?
4. What are Annie's favorite summer activities?
5. How were most of the burned soldiers injured?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)