|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are Frances and Charlie?
(a) The dog and cat.
(b) Uncle Paul's children.
(c) Annie's cousins.
(d) Annie's friends from the neighborhood.
2. Why is Annie concerned about her grandfather as they begin the journey to go to St. John's for a second time?
(a) He slips and almost falls.
(b) He is unsteady and breathing hard.
(c) He has a cut on his hand.
(d) He cut himself shaving.
3. Where did Annie's father serve during the war?
(a) New York City.
(c) Kansas City.
4. What did Annie and her mother talk about during her father's absence?
(a) Uncle Paul.
(b) Routine things.
(c) What they would do after the war.
(d) The war.
5. How has Annie's grandmother changed since Uncle Paul died?
(a) She cries frequently.
(b) She has more time for charity work.
(c) Annie's grandmother used to sing all the time and be in a good mood.
(d) She cleans the house more frequently.
6. The evening after the Sunday School outing, why does Grandfather ask Annie if she is scared?
(a) She doesn't want to talk with Grandmother about St. John's.
(b) She doesn't want to ride the motorcycle with Father.
(c) She does not want to talk about the incident at the ice cream shop.
(d) She does not want to tell her mother about the visit at St. John's.
7. Why, on her first visit to St. John's, does Annie run away when she meets a patient?
(a) He tries to flirt with her.
(b) He reminds her of Uncle Paul.
(c) She's shy and doesn't know what to say.
(d) He is horribly disfigured.
8. What is the Mayor's announcement on the Fourth of July?
(a) The city is buying a fire engine.
(b) The fireworks will begin after dark.
(c) A monument will be built to honor the soliders.
(d) They need volunteers to visit injured soldiers.
9. Why does Annie enjoy her grandmother's home-cooked meals?
(a) Because her grandmother teaches her to cook.
(b) Annie's grandmother always bakes a special dessert.
(c) Annie's mother has no real interest or talent for cooking.
(d) Annie's grandmother always prepares her favorite dishes.
10. After Annie's second visit to St. John's, who comes to take her home?
(a) Annie's grandmother.
(b) Annie's mother.
(c) Miss Peterson.
(d) Annie's father.
11. What do Mrs. Metcalf and her second group of friends like to do?
(a) Attend operas and plays.
(b) Raise money for wounded soldiers.
(c) Knit and crochet.
(d) Sit on the front porch and laugh and sing.
12. On Annie's second visit to St. John's, what does Annie's grandfather do while she talks to one of the patients?
(a) Continues reading to Timothy.
(b) Asks Andrew about his war experiences.
(c) Takes a nap.
(d) Eats a snack.
13. What does Annie do when her mother is working or playing the piano?
(a) Plays duets with her mother.
(b) Visits her grandparents or plays alone.
(c) Writes in her journal.
(d) Plays with friends.
14. How many siblings does Annie have?
(a) One brother.
(b) None, she is an only child.
(c) Two brothers and one sister.
(d) One sister.
15. Who is Ruth?
(a) A friend of Annie's grandmother.
(b) The mother of one of Annie's school friends.
(c) Annie's mother's friend and a librarian.
(d) Annie's mother's friend and a muscian.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Dr. Metcalf arrives on the train, who drives home from the station?
2. Who are the grownups that greet Annie and her parents when they arrive home from the train station?
3. What is the name of the performance that Uncle Paul and Annie view together?
4. While Annie waits for her father at the train station, what images does Annie keep seeing even though she closes her eyes?
5. How were most of the burned soldiers injured?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)