|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the grownups that greet Annie and her parents when they arrive home from the train station?
(a) Neighbors and the family minister.
(b) Uncle Paul and his wife.
(c) Grandfather, Grandmother, Aunt Felicia, Uncle Mark, and Uncle John.
(d) People Annie's father worked with before the war.
2. On the way home from the train station, what day does Annie remember?
(a) The day she and her mother went shopping.
(b) The day the family learned that Uncle Paul had died.
(c) The day her father left.
(d) The day her grandfather died.
3. After their first dinner together with father and their guests leave, what do the Metcalfs do together?
(a) Take a walk around the neighborhood.
(b) Annie and her father sit on the sofa while her mother plays the piano.
(c) Go to bed.
(d) Fix a snack.
4. Why does Annie's mother often leave the room when Annie's father talks about his work?
(a) She has a piece of music to finish.
(b) She likes to read for a while before she retires for the evening.
(c) She's tired and goes to bed early.
(d) She doesn't want to hear anything about the wounded soldiers.
5. Why is Annie concerned about her grandfather as they begin the journey to go to St. John's for a second time?
(a) He cut himself shaving.
(b) He slips and almost falls.
(c) He has a cut on his hand.
(d) He is unsteady and breathing hard.
6. What horrifies Annie at the train station?
(a) The wounded men and their blank stares.
(b) A fight between two soldiers.
(c) Seeing Uncle Paul's body.
(d) A terrible accident at the station.
7. What is the name of the performance that Uncle Paul and Annie view together?
(a) Madame Butterfly.
(b) La Boheme.
(c) The Merry Wives of Windsor.
(d) Romeo and Juliet.
8. When does Chapter 3 take place?
(a) The morning after Annie's father returns.
(b) Three days after Annie's father returns.
(c) The next evening.
(d) The middle of the night when Annie is awakened by her parents' voices.
9. Who is the main character?
(a) Alexandra Mooney.
(b) Abigail McBride.
(c) Annie Metcalf.
(d) Angela Martin.
10. How will Annie spend her time this summer?
(a) Visting the hospital with Miss Peterson.
(b) Bible School.
(c) Some place other than Bible School.
(d) At Miss Peterson's house.
11. What are Annie's favorite summer activities?
(a) Taking long walks.
(b) Playing the piano.
(c) Playing checkers with her grandfather.
(d) Reading and visiting the library.
12. Why do the Metcalfs need to shop for clothes the day after Dr. Metcalf returns home?
(a) Dr. Metcalf needs more uniforms for work.
(b) Dr. Metcalf's luggage got lost on the train.
(c) Dr. Metcalf has lost weight.
(d) Dr. Metcalf has gained weight.
13. Where is the first place that Annie goes with her Sunday School class?
(a) The city park.
(b) Annie's house.
(c) A movie.
(d) The hospital.
14. In Chapter 9, who says "I hope I never have to go out there. From what I hear, those fellows aren't very pretty"?
(c) The conductor on the trolley.
(d) Miss Peterson.
15. What did Annie's grandmother do when she heard that her son had died?
(a) Stayed in her room grieving for several days.
(b) Scrubbed the kitchen floor.
(c) Played sad songs on the piano.
(d) Went to talk with a friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Mrs. Metcalf and her second group of friends like to do?
2. When Annie's grandfather visits St. John's, what does he do?
3. How were most of the burned soldiers injured?
4. What did Annie's grandfather do when he heard his son had died?
5. Why, on her first visit to St. John's, does Annie run away when she meets a patient?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)