|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Annie nervous about seeing her father again?
(a) She is afraid that she will be in trouble for things she did while he was gone.
(b) She is afraid that he doesn't love her mother anymore.
(c) She is afraid he won't recognize her.
(d) She is afraid that he will be changed by the war.
2. Why does Andrew not say goodbye to Annie as she leaves after visiting the hospital for a second time?
(a) He is upset by how rudely Mrs. Metcalf treated him.
(b) He did not realize she was leaving so soon.
(c) He does not want to see Annie leave.
(d) Someone has called him to come back inside.
3. Who is the main character?
(a) Annie Metcalf.
(b) Angela Martin.
(c) Alexandra Mooney.
(d) Abigail McBride.
4. The evening after the Sunday School outing, why does Grandfather ask Annie if she is scared?
(a) She does not want to talk about the incident at the ice cream shop.
(b) She doesn't want to talk with Grandmother about St. John's.
(c) She does not want to tell her mother about the visit at St. John's.
(d) She doesn't want to ride the motorcycle with Father.
5. What do Mrs. Metcalf and her first group of friends like to do?
(a) Bake elaborate desserts.
(b) Work for women's rights and other political and social issues.
(c) Persuade other women to volunteer to help wounded soldiers.
(d) Discuss books they've read.
6. How were most of the burned soldiers injured?
(a) A bomb.
(b) Exploding gas tanks.
(c) Mustard gas.
7. When Annie visits St. John's again, what does she bring to share?
(a) Books about Europe.
(b) A photograph of her family.
(c) Oatmeal cookies and her books of maps.
(d) A photograph of Uncle Paul.
8. On Annie's second visit to St. John's, why does Annie go find her father?
(a) To ask him to take her home.
(b) To tell him that Grandfather is not feeling well.
(c) She hadn't seen him since yesterday and wanted to talk with him.
(d) To tell him she met the severely burned patient.
9. Where would Annie's mother prefer that Annie's father work?
(a) His own private practice.
(b) St. John's Veterans Hospital.
(c) County Hospital.
(d) Kansas City Memorial Hospital.
10. Annie is meeting her father at the station. Who else would Annie like to be meeting at the train station?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Uncle Paul.
(c) Her grandparents.
(d) A cousin who served in the war.
11. After the mayor's big announcement on the Fourth of July, why don't Father and Ruth want to see the plans?
(a) They think too many people will come to the hospital.
(b) They think the new fire engine is too expensive.
(c) They have already seen the plans.
(d) They think the monument will glorify the unnecessary loss of lives.
12. In Chapter 9, who says "I hope I never have to go out there. From what I hear, those fellows aren't very pretty"?
(a) The conductor on the trolley.
(d) Miss Peterson.
13. Why do the Metcalfs need to shop for clothes the day after Dr. Metcalf returns home?
(a) Dr. Metcalf needs more uniforms for work.
(b) Dr. Metcalf has lost weight.
(c) Dr. Metcalf has gained weight.
(d) Dr. Metcalf's luggage got lost on the train.
14. Annie runs away from one of the patients on her first visit to St. John's. Why does she go back?
(a) She thinks of something she would like to ask the soldier.
(b) She drops her book and goes back to get it.
(c) She tells her grandfather and he asks her to go back.
(d) Her father asks her to go back.
15. When Annie and Mrs. Metcalf talk over breakfast the day after Dr. Metcalf returns home, what does Annie's mother say about what they saw at the train station?
(a) She listens to Annie and explains what was happening.
(b) She tells Annie to ask her father about the topic.
(c) She sends Annie to her room.
(d) She refuses to discuss the subject.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Annie and her grandfather get to St. John's when Annie returns for a second visit?
2. How does Annie celebrate the Fourth of July this summer?
3. Who takes Annie to St. John's the first time she visits?
4. When her father was gone, what time of day did Annie most miss her father?
5. On the way home from the train station, what day does Annie remember?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)