|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the Metcalfs need to shop for clothes the day after Dr. Metcalf returns home?
(a) Dr. Metcalf has gained weight.
(b) Dr. Metcalf has lost weight.
(c) Dr. Metcalf's luggage got lost on the train.
(d) Dr. Metcalf needs more uniforms for work.
2. Why is Annie concerned about her grandfather as they begin the journey to go to St. John's for a second time?
(a) He has a cut on his hand.
(b) He slips and almost falls.
(c) He is unsteady and breathing hard.
(d) He cut himself shaving.
3. Who has Annie's grandfather been visiting at St. John's Hospital?
(a) Annie's Uncle John.
(b) An old friend.
(c) Timothy Lewis.
(d) Annie's cousins.
4. Where did Annie's father serve during the war?
(a) Kansas City.
(b) New York City.
5. Why doesn't Annie enjoy the fireworks on the Fourth of July?
(a) She doesn't have a good view of the fireworks.
(b) She doesn't like the noise the fireworks make.
(c) The fireworks are not as spectacular as usual.
(d) She dreads the visit she will make with her grandfather to St. John's.
6. What do Annie and her Sunday School class see on their outing?
(a) Broken Blossom, a movie starring Lillian Gish.
(b) Clowns juggling.
(c) Annie's pets.
(d) Wounded soldiers.
7. What was Annie doing when she learned that her uncle died?
(a) Baking cookies with her mother.
(b) Walking around her neighborhood.
(c) Reading at the library.
(d) Making raspberry jam with her grandmother.
8. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's after her second visit, what behavior bothers her and her grandfather?
(a) The weather.
(b) Andrew's terrible burns.
(c) How rudely Annie's mother acts.
(d) That Annie has to leave so soon.
9. What horrifies Annie at the train station?
(a) A fight between two soldiers.
(b) The wounded men and their blank stares.
(c) A terrible accident at the station.
(d) Seeing Uncle Paul's body.
10. Who are Frances and Charlie?
(a) Annie's cousins.
(b) Annie's friends from the neighborhood.
(c) Uncle Paul's children.
(d) The dog and cat.
11. Who are Mrs. Metcalf's first group of friends?
(a) Other volunteers who work with her.
(b) Women from the neighborhood.
(c) Friends from church.
(d) Friends from the school she attended.
12. Where does Annie's father work?
(a) St. John's Veterans Hospital.
(b) County Hospital.
(c) His own private practice.
(d) Kansas City Memorial Hospital.
13. Why is Annie so interested in the things that Ruth shows her?
(a) She wants to know more about the war.
(b) She enjoys poetry.
(c) She is fascinated by foreign-sounding names and exotic places that she might visit.
(d) She loves to read.
14. What book is Grandfather reading to the soldiers?
(a) Leatherstocking Tales.
(d) The Last of the Mohicans.
15. What incident do Annie and her father discuss regarding her first visit to the hospital?
(a) What she had for lunch.
(b) Annie's encounter with the man with the burned face.
(c) Why she ran away.
(d) What she is going to do later in the week.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Annie returns from the Sunday School outing, what does she tell her parents?
2. What did Annie and her mother talk about during her father's absence?
3. What is Annie's mother's name?
4. On Annie's second visit to St. John's, why does Annie go find her father?
5. Why is Annie nervous about seeing her father again?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)