|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's after her second visit, what behavior bothers her and her grandfather?
(a) The weather.
(b) How rudely Annie's mother acts.
(c) Andrew's terrible burns.
(d) That Annie has to leave so soon.
2. Where does Uncle Paul invite Annie to go with him on one night in June?
(a) A movie.
(b) The opera.
(c) A Shakespearean play.
(d) A musical.
3. Who are Mrs. Metcalf's second group of friends?
(a) Mothers of Annie's school friends.
(b) Wives of doctors who work with Dr. Metcalf.
(c) Women who enjoy music and the arts.
(d) Friends of Uncle Paul.
4. Why does Annie enjoy her grandmother's home-cooked meals?
(a) Annie's mother has no real interest or talent for cooking.
(b) Annie's grandmother always prepares her favorite dishes.
(c) Annie's grandmother always bakes a special dessert.
(d) Because her grandmother teaches her to cook.
5. How has Annie's grandmother changed since Uncle Paul died?
(a) Annie's grandmother used to sing all the time and be in a good mood.
(b) She cleans the house more frequently.
(c) She cries frequently.
(d) She has more time for charity work.
6. Who are the grownups that greet Annie and her parents when they arrive home from the train station?
(a) Grandfather, Grandmother, Aunt Felicia, Uncle Mark, and Uncle John.
(b) Neighbors and the family minister.
(c) People Annie's father worked with before the war.
(d) Uncle Paul and his wife.
7. During the Sunday School outing, what does Miss Peterson tell Annie?
(a) That she is glad that Annie's father is working at St. John's.
(b) Annie's father should be working at the county hospital.
(c) Annie's father should not be associating with Catholics.
(d) Annie's father should have his own practice.
8. How does Annie's mother feel about Grandfather's volunteer work at St. John's?
(a) She asks him if she can do the same type of volunteer work.
(b) She thinks it is an excellent cause and sometimes volunteers herself.
(c) She is glad and drives him whenever he needs a ride.
(d) She does not approve.
9. Why do the Metcalfs need to shop for clothes the day after Dr. Metcalf returns home?
(a) Dr. Metcalf needs more uniforms for work.
(b) Dr. Metcalf has gained weight.
(c) Dr. Metcalf's luggage got lost on the train.
(d) Dr. Metcalf has lost weight.
10. What do Annie and her grandfather discuss when they play checkers?
(a) His experiences visiting the soldiers at St. John's.
(b) Uncle Paul.
(c) What Annie would like to do when she grows up.
(d) Annie's father.
11. The newspaper is on the steps when Annie returns home from the Sunday School outing. What is the front page headline?
(a) President Wilson to Visit Kansas City.
(b) Vice President Marshall to Visit Kansas City.
(c) War Monument Donations at 90%.
(d) World Peace Signed and Sealed at Versailles.
12. What incident do Annie and her father discuss regarding her first visit to the hospital?
(a) What she had for lunch.
(b) Why she ran away.
(c) What she is going to do later in the week.
(d) Annie's encounter with the man with the burned face.
13. Who are Frances and Charlie?
(a) Annie's cousins.
(b) The dog and cat.
(c) Uncle Paul's children.
(d) Annie's friends from the neighborhood.
14. What does Ruth show Annie?
(a) Books about war.
(b) Her favorite poetry books.
(c) Sheet music.
15. What does the family do after dinner in Chapter 2?
(a) Play checkers.
(b) Clean up the kitchen.
(c) Sit on the front porch and also play croquet.
(d) Sing while Annie's mother plays the piano.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Uncle Paul visits one evening and Mrs. Metcalf is gone?
2. What does Annie do when her mother is working or playing the piano?
3. How does Annie celebrate the Fourth of July this summer?
4. After their first dinner together with father and their guests leave, what do the Metcalfs do together?
5. How many siblings does Annie have?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)