|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Andrew not say goodbye to Annie as she leaves after visiting the hospital for a second time?
(a) He did not realize she was leaving so soon.
(b) He is upset by how rudely Mrs. Metcalf treated him.
(c) He does not want to see Annie leave.
(d) Someone has called him to come back inside.
2. Who has Annie's grandfather been visiting at St. John's Hospital?
(a) Annie's cousins.
(b) Annie's Uncle John.
(c) Timothy Lewis.
(d) An old friend.
3. Why is Annie concerned about her grandfather as they begin the journey to go to St. John's for a second time?
(a) He slips and almost falls.
(b) He has a cut on his hand.
(c) He is unsteady and breathing hard.
(d) He cut himself shaving.
4. Wounded soldiers arrive on the same train with Dr. Metcalf. Where are they going?
(a) To their homes.
(b) A convalescent home.
(c) Kansas City Memorial Hospital.
(d) St. John's Veterans Hospital.
5. What book is Grandfather reading to the soldiers?
(c) The Last of the Mohicans.
(d) Leatherstocking Tales.
6. When Annie's grandfather visits St. John's, what does he do?
(a) Changes bandages.
7. As Annie gets ready to leave St. John's after her second visit, what behavior bothers her and her grandfather?
(a) How rudely Annie's mother acts.
(b) Andrew's terrible burns.
(c) The weather.
(d) That Annie has to leave so soon.
8. Why is Annie's mother concerned about Annie's decision to do something different this summer?
(a) She doesn't think Annie can cook very well.
(b) She thinks Annie shouldn't visit the hospital.
(c) She thinks Annie's friend is a bad influence.
(d) She thinks Annie will be bored.
9. Annie runs away from one of the patients on her first visit to St. John's. Why does she go back?
(a) She thinks of something she would like to ask the soldier.
(b) She tells her grandfather and he asks her to go back.
(c) She drops her book and goes back to get it.
(d) Her father asks her to go back.
10. What do Mrs. Metcalf and her first group of friends like to do?
(a) Discuss books they've read.
(b) Persuade other women to volunteer to help wounded soldiers.
(c) Work for women's rights and other political and social issues.
(d) Bake elaborate desserts.
11. Where would Annie's mother prefer that Annie's father work?
(a) County Hospital.
(b) Kansas City Memorial Hospital.
(c) St. John's Veterans Hospital.
(d) His own private practice.
12. What did Annie and her mother talk about during her father's absence?
(a) The war.
(b) Uncle Paul.
(c) What they would do after the war.
(d) Routine things.
13. What horrifies Annie at the train station?
(a) A terrible accident at the station.
(b) Seeing Uncle Paul's body.
(c) The wounded men and their blank stares.
(d) A fight between two soldiers.
14. The next morning after father's return, what does Annie wish to discuss with her mother?
(a) What happened to Uncle Paul.
(b) If she can go to her grandparents' house.
(c) The wounded men at the train station.
(d) If she can wear her new dress.
15. During the Sunday School outing, what does Miss Peterson tell Annie?
(a) Annie's father should have his own practice.
(b) That she is glad that Annie's father is working at St. John's.
(c) Annie's father should not be associating with Catholics.
(d) Annie's father should be working at the county hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many siblings does Annie have?
2. Where does the Sunday School class go next?
3. Who is the main character?
4. How has Annie's grandmother changed since Uncle Paul died?
5. On Annie's second visit to St. John's, why does Annie go find her father?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)