|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Miser" why does the miser cry out in despair?
2. In Fable 293 what is the child catching?
3. In "The Hen That Laid the Golden Eggs" what does the farmer do to his hen?
4. In "The Wolf and the Heron" who helps the wolf get a bone out of his throat?
5. How many pouches are bestowed upon man when he is created?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Peacock and the Jackdaw" why is he peacock not fit to be king?
2. In "The Rose and the Amaranth" what is the beauty of the amaranth?
3. In "The Thirsty Pigeon" how does the pigeon break her wings?
4. In "The Monkey and the Camel" why is the camel driven away?
5. In "The Ass and the Lap-dog" why does the ass get tied in the manger?
6. In "The Travelers and the Bear" what happens to the two travelers when they see a bear?
7. In "The Traveler and Truth" why does Truth leave the city?
8. In "The Asses Appealing to Zeus" how can the asses escape their misery?
9. In "The Hen That Laid the Golden Eggs" why does the owner kill his hen?
10. In "The Wolf and the Shepherd" what mistake does the shepherd commit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has the Fox been depicted in the fables? How do the Fox fables cast a true light on his character? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Misfortune tests the sincerity of friends. Which of the fables depicts this moral? How?
Essay Topic 3
Aesop's fables are as relevant today as they were centuries ago. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)