|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Sow and the Dog Insulting One Another" whom does the sow want to tear to pieces?
2. In "The Bird-catcher and the Stork" whom does the bird catcher catch?
3. In "The Lion Who was Afraid of a Mouse, and the Fox" which animal runs over the sleeping lion?
4. In "The Wild Boar, the Horse and the Huntsman" which two animals share pasture?
5. In "The Wasp and the Snake" whom does the wasp sting?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Wolf and the Lamb" how does the wolf try to trick the lamb?
2. In "The Lion and the Bull" what does the bull realize about the dinner at the lion's?
3. In "The Traveler and Truth" why does Truth leave the city?
4. What do we come to know of hyenas in "The Hyenas" ?
5. In "The Ass and the Lap-dog" why does the ass get tied in the manger?
6. In "The Peacock and the Jackdaw" why is he peacock not fit to be king?
7. In "The Wolf Proud of His Shadow, and the Lion" why is the wolf killed?
8. In "The Ant and the Pigeon" how does the pigeon help the ant?
9. In "The Tortoise and the Eagle" how does the tortoise die?
10. In "The Thirsty Pigeon" how does the pigeon break her wings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do fables employ various animals in different ways to portray human strengths and weaknesses and to pass down wisdom from one generation to the next?
Essay Topic 2
What is the preponderant theme in all the fables?
Essay Topic 3
What is the writing style of Aesop? Are there any use of puns, alliterations, or other literary devices?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)