|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the passengers aboard a ship in "The Sea Voyagers"?
2. In "The Begging Priests of Cybele" which animal's skin is used to make drums?
3. In "The Trodden-on Snake and Zeus" which animal appeals to Zeus?
4. In "The Shepherd and the Wolf Raised with the Dogs" whom does the shepherd hang from a tree?
5. In "The Ass Pronouncing the Horse Happy" which animal does the ass envy?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Ant" what does Zeus do to the farmer?
2. In "The Trodden-on Snake and Zeus" what does Zeus tell the snake?
3. In "The Tortoise and the Eagle" how does the tortoise die?
4. In "The Wolf Proud of His Shadow, and the Lion" why is the wolf killed?
5. In "The Traveler and Truth" why does Truth leave the city?
6. In "The Mouse and the Frog" how do the mouse and frog both die?
7. In "The Ass and the Lap-dog" why does the ass get tied in the manger?
8. In "The Lion and the Bull" what does the bull realize about the dinner at the lion's?
9. In "The Rose and the Amaranth" what is the beauty of the amaranth?
10. In "The Thirsty Pigeon" how does the pigeon break her wings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Misfortune tests the sincerity of friends. Which of the fables depicts this moral? How?
Essay Topic 2
What is an allegory? How has the author employed allegory in the fables collection?
Essay Topic 3
If one wants to make an abstract idea understandable to the masses, one should present it as a story or parable. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)