|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Ass and the Ass-driver" why does the ass driver let go off the ass?
2. In "The Young Wastrel and the Swallow" what does the man lose?
3. In "The Wolf Proud of His Shadow, and the Lion" what is the wolf proud of?
4. In "The Partridge and the Man" whom does the man catch?
5. In "The Diviner" what happens to the diviner's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Trodden-on Snake and Zeus" what does Zeus tell the snake?
2. In "The Ass and the Lap-dog" why does the ass get tied in the manger?
3. In "The Ass, the Raven and the Wolf" why does the ass scream in pain?
4. In "The Traveler and Truth" why does Truth leave the city?
5. In "The Lion and the Bull" what does the bull realize about the dinner at the lion's?
6. In "The Injured Wolf and the Ewe" why does the ewe not help the injured wolf?
7. In "The Wolf Proud of His Shadow, and the Lion" why is the wolf killed?
8. In "The Tortoise and the Eagle" how does the tortoise die?
9. In "The Ant and the Pigeon" how does the pigeon help the ant?
10. In "The Miser" why does the miser cry out in despair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aesop's fables are as relevant today as they were centuries ago. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is the writing style of Aesop? Are there any use of puns, alliterations, or other literary devices?
Essay Topic 3
What can be said of the animal kingdom in Aesop's fables? Are they quick-witted, foolish, cunning, etc? Give examples.
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)