|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Ass Pronouncing the Horse Happy" which animal does the ass envy?
2. In "The Wolf and the Goat" which animal is the wolf trying to trick?
3. In "The Child Thief and His Mother" why does the man go to jail?
4. In "The Sick Man and the Doctor" what is the sick man dying of?
5. Which two Gods marry in "Polemos and Hybris"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Mouse and the Frog" how do the mouse and frog both die?
2. In "The Monkey and the Camel" why is the camel driven away?
3. In "The Wolf and the Lamb" how does the wolf try to trick the lamb?
4. In "Winter and Spring" why does spring say that people hate winter?
5. In "The Trodden-on Snake and Zeus" what does Zeus tell the snake?
6. In "The Ant and the Pigeon" how does the pigeon help the ant?
7. In "The Hen That Laid the Golden Eggs" why does the owner kill his hen?
8. In "The Rose and the Amaranth" what is the beauty of the amaranth?
9. In "The Traveler and Truth" why does Truth leave the city?
10. In "The Ass Pretending to Be Lame, and the Wolf" what does the ass do to the wolf?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many animals do the talking in the fables. Do you see any reason for that? What is the reason behind animals taking on human characteristics in the fables?
Essay Topic 2
Misfortune tests the sincerity of friends. Which of the fables depicts this moral? How?
Essay Topic 3
How did the morals of Aesop affect the political, social, and family life in Ancient Greece during the 400s and 300s B.C.? Can you find examples from this time period?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)