|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Tortoise and the Hare" who wins the race?
2. In "The Travelers and the Ax" what do the two travelers find?
3. In "The Mole and His Mother" what does the mole tell his mother?
4. In "The Wolves and the Sheep" whom do the wolves slaughter?
5. In "The Satisfied Wolf and the Ewe" whom does the wolf see lying on its own back?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do we come to know of hyenas in "The Hyenas" ?
2. In "The Ant" what does Zeus do to the farmer?
3. In "The Injured Wolf and the Ewe" why does the ewe not help the injured wolf?
4. In "The Ass, the Raven and the Wolf" why does the ass scream in pain?
5. In "The Miser" why does the miser cry out in despair?
6. In "The Thirsty Pigeon" how does the pigeon break her wings?
7. In "The Trodden-on Snake and Zeus" what does Zeus tell the snake?
8. In "The Shepherd and the Sea" why does the shepherd decide to go trading?
9. In "The Peacock and the Jackdaw" why is he peacock not fit to be king?
10. In "The Ant and the Pigeon" how does the pigeon help the ant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has the Fox been depicted in the fables? How do the Fox fables cast a true light on his character? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
The Greeks were obsessed with beauty and intelligence among many other things. Do you see any fables depicting this? Which ones?
Essay Topic 3
How do you think animals play an important role in Aesop's fables in terms of themes, writing styles, settings, etc.?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)