|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Fox and the Bramble" what is the fox trying to do?
2. In "The Lion, the Bear and the Fox" who steals the swan?
3. In "The Raven and the Snake" who bites the hungry raven?
4. In "The Two Men Who Quarreled About the Gods" who or what are Theseus and Herakles?
5. In "The Hares and the Foxes" the foxes are at war with which animals?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Nightingale and the Hawk" what does the hawk say to the nightingale?
2. In "The Sleeping Dog and the Wolf" how does the wolf lose his meal?
3. In "The Dog Who Carried the Meat" how does the dog lose his piece of meat?
4. In "The Lion and the Mouse Who Returned a Kindness" how does the mouse help the lion?
5. In "The Frogs Who Demanded a King" what does Zeus do when the frogs demand a King?
6. In "The Fox and the Monkey Elected King" what does the fox do to the monkey?
7. In "The Middle-aged Man and His Mistresses" why does the man lose all his hair?
8. In "The Mischievous Man" how does the man try to prove that the Oracle of Delphi is a fraud?
9. In "The Kid and the Wolf Who Played the Flute" what does the wolf realize about his nature?
10. In "The Jackdaw and the Fox" why does the fox ask the jackdaw to stop living on hope?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the writing style of Aesop? Are there any use of puns, alliterations, or other literary devices?
Essay Topic 2
How do fables employ various animals in different ways to portray human strengths and weaknesses and to pass down wisdom from one generation to the next?
Essay Topic 3
What can be said of the animal kingdom in Aesop's fables? Are they quick-witted, foolish, cunning, etc? Give examples.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)