|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Blind Man" what is given to the blind man?
2. What item does the merchant sell in "The Man Selling a Holy Statue"?
3. In "The Ploughman and Chance" what does the ploughman find in the field?
4. In "The Hind Afflicted by Deformity" what happens to the hind?
5. In "The Crab and the Fox" what happens to the crab?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Dog Who Carried the Meat" how does the dog lose his piece of meat?
2. In "The Beaver" what does the beaver do to protect himself?
3. How does the fox get revenge against the eagle in "The Eagle and the Fox"?
4. In "The Mischievous Man" how does the man try to prove that the Oracle of Delphi is a fraud?
5. In "The Lion and the Dolphin" why is the dolphin not able to help the lion?
6. In "A Sick Raven" why will the sick raven not be cured?
7. In "The Fox and the Bunch of Grapes" what does the fox call the grapes even though he has not tasted them?
8. In "The Reed and the Olive" what happens to the olive tree?
9. In "The Three Oxen and the Lion" how does the lion manage to eat all the oxen one by one?
10. In "The Middle-aged Man and His Mistresses" why does the man lose all his hair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the morals of Aesop affect the political, social, and family life in Ancient Greece during the 400s and 300s B.C.? Can you find examples from this time period?
Essay Topic 2
How do fables employ various animals in different ways to portray human strengths and weaknesses and to pass down wisdom from one generation to the next?
Essay Topic 3
What is the writing style of Aesop? Are there any use of puns, alliterations, or other literary devices?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)