|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Reed and the Olive" which two trees are arguing?
2. In "The Cat and the Hens" which animal disguises himself?
3. In "The Gardener and the Dog" which animal bites its owner?
4. In "The Lion, the Bear and the Fox" who steals the swan?
5. In "The Orator Demades" who is Demeter ?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Lion and the Dolphin" why is the dolphin not able to help the lion?
2. What does Hermes learn about himself in "Hermes and the Sculptor"?
3. In "The Frogs Who Demanded a King" what does Zeus do when the frogs demand a King?
4. In "The Raven and Hermes" why can't the raven be trusted?
5. In "The House-ferret and Aphrodite" why does Aphrodite change the girl back into a ferret?
6. In "The Kite Who Neighed" what happens to the kite?
7. In "The Jackdaw and the Fox" why does the fox ask the jackdaw to stop living on hope?
8. In "The Sleeping Dog and the Wolf" how does the wolf lose his meal?
9. In "The Kid and the Wolf Who Played the Flute" what does the wolf realize about his nature?
10. In "The Beaver" what does the beaver do to protect himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Greeks were obsessed with beauty and intelligence among many other things. Do you see any fables depicting this? Which ones?
Essay Topic 2
How did the morals of Aesop affect the political, social, and family life in Ancient Greece during the 400s and 300s B.C.? Can you find examples from this time period?
Essay Topic 3
How do you think animals play an important role in Aesop's fables in terms of themes, writing styles, settings, etc.?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)