|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks for alms in "The Adder and the File"?
2. In "The Doctor and the Sick Man" how does the doctor's patient die?
3. In "The North Wind and the Sun" who succeeds in removing the man's clothes?
4. In "The Fox with a Swollen Stomach" why is the fox not able to come out of the hollow of the oak tree?
5. What do we learn about Man's nature from "The Man and the Satyr"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Nightingale and the Hawk" what does the hawk say to the nightingale?
2. In "The Lion and the Dolphin" why is the dolphin not able to help the lion?
3. In "The Middle-aged Man and His Mistresses" why does the man lose all his hair?
4. How does the fox get revenge against the eagle in "The Eagle and the Fox"?
5. In "The Beaver" what does the beaver do to protect himself?
6. In "A Sick Raven" why will the sick raven not be cured?
7. In "The Raven and Hermes" why can't the raven be trusted?
8. What does Hermes learn about himself in "Hermes and the Sculptor"?
9. In "The Lioness and the Vixen" why does the vixen criticize the lioness?
10. In "The Reed and the Olive" what happens to the olive tree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the writing style of Aesop? Are there any use of puns, alliterations, or other literary devices?
Essay Topic 2
What is the preponderant theme in all the fables?
Essay Topic 3
The Greeks were obsessed with beauty and intelligence among many other things. Do you see any fables depicting this? Which ones?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)