|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Two Cocks and the Eagle" what happens to the winner of the cock fight?
2. In "The Old Woman and the Doctor" what is stolen from the old lady's home?
3. In "The Foxes on the Bank of the Meander River" what pulls the fox away from the rest of his clan?
4. In "The Crab and the Fox" what happens to the crab?
5. In "The Ploughman and Chance" what does the ploughman find in the field?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Sorceress" why is the sorceress sentenced to death?
2. In "The Goat and the Donkey" why is the goat sacrificed?
3. In "The Middle-aged Man and His Mistresses" why does the man lose all his hair?
4. In "A Sick Raven" why will the sick raven not be cured?
5. In "Zeus, Prometheus, Athena, and Momos" why is Momos banished from the Olympus?
6. In "The Oak Trees and Zeus" why do the oak trees appeal to Zeus for help?
7. In "The Lion and the Mouse Who Returned a Kindness" how does the mouse help the lion?
8. What does Hermes learn about himself in "Hermes and the Sculptor"?
9. In "The Hares and the Frogs" what makes the hares change their decision about drowning themselves?
10. In "The Mischievous Man" how does the man try to prove that the Oracle of Delphi is a fraud?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the modes of conduct that are expected from Man as seen in the Fables?
Essay Topic 2
What can be said of the animal kingdom in Aesop's fables? Are they quick-witted, foolish, cunning, etc? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
How did the morals of Aesop affect the political, social, and family life in Ancient Greece during the 400s and 300s B.C.? Can you find examples from this time period?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)