|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Ethiopian" what is the man doing to the slave?
2. In "The Reed and the Olive" which two trees are arguing?
3. In "The Lioness and the Vixen" why does the vixen criticize the lioness?
4. In "Diogenes and the Bald Man" who is Diogenes?
5. In "The Starving Dogs" what do the dogs find?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Lion and the Dolphin" why is the dolphin not able to help the lion?
2. In "The Two Cocks and the Eagle" how does the winner end up losing?
3. In "The Fox and the Monkey Elected King" what does the fox do to the monkey?
4. In "The Reed and the Olive" what happens to the olive tree?
5. In "Zeus, Prometheus, Athena, and Momos" why is Momos banished from the Olympus?
6. What does Hermes learn about himself in "Hermes and the Sculptor"?
7. In "The Lioness and the Vixen" why does the vixen criticize the lioness?
8. In "The Fox and the Bunch of Grapes" what does the fox call the grapes even though he has not tasted them?
9. In "The Frogs Who Demanded a King" what does Zeus do when the frogs demand a King?
10. In "The Nightingale and the Hawk" what does the hawk say to the nightingale?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the morals of Aesop affect the political, social, and family life in Ancient Greece during the 400s and 300s B.C.? Can you find examples from this time period?
Essay Topic 2
What are the modes of conduct that are expected from Man as seen in the Fables?
Essay Topic 3
Many animals do the talking in the fables. Do you see any reason for that? What is the reason behind animals taking on human characteristics in the fables?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)