|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Hares and the Frogs" which animals decide to kill themselves?
2. In "The Jackdaw and the Birds" who is voted as the most beautiful bird?
3. In "The Lion and the Wild Boar" whom does the lion fight with?
4. In "The Hind Afflicted by Deformity" what happens to the hind?
5. In "The Dog and the Hare" who catches the hare?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Sleeping Dog and the Wolf" how does the wolf lose his meal?
2. In "The Raven and Hermes" why can't the raven be trusted?
3. In "The Middle-aged Man and His Mistresses" why does the man lose all his hair?
4. In "The Ploughman and the Eagle" why does the eagle protect the ploughman from the collapsing wall?
5. In "The Lioness and the Vixen" why does the vixen criticize the lioness?
6. In "The Mischievous Man" how does the man try to prove that the Oracle of Delphi is a fraud?
7. In "The Two Cocks and the Eagle" how does the winner end up losing?
8. In "Zeus and the Tortoise" why does Zeus curse the tortoise?
9. In "The Fox and the Bunch of Grapes" what does the fox call the grapes even though he has not tasted them?
10. In "The Dog Who Carried the Meat" how does the dog lose his piece of meat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you think animals play an important role in Aesop's fables in terms of themes, writing styles, settings, etc.?
Essay Topic 2
Aesop's fables are as relevant today as they were centuries ago. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The Greeks were obsessed with beauty and intelligence among many other things. Do you see any fables depicting this? Which ones?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)