|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Jupiter forbidden to happen?
2. Who appears to Aeneas in a dream to tell him where to find people willing to ally themselves with the Trojans against the Latins?
3. What problem does Turnus face when he tries to attack the Trojan camp?
4. What does King Latinus propose to give to the Trojans?
5. What does Jupiter promise Juno about the Latin folk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some actions that demonstrate the strong friendship between Nisus and Euryalus?
2. What does Evander tell Aeneas about Latin history?
3. What arguments does Sacës use to persuade Turnus to return to the fight?
4. What transition occurs around lines 46-47 in Book VII and how does Virgil handle this shift?
5. How does Venus use references to the Trojan War when meeting with Jupiter at the beginning of Book X?
6. Did Nisus and Euryalus act wisely when attempting to carry out their mission? Why or why not?
7. Under what conditions does Jupiter allow Juno to remove Turnus from the fight?
8. How does Jupiter ensure that Aeneas will win the combat with Turnus?
9. Why would Aeneas' shield be covered with the deeds of his descendants?
10. Who are the princes referred to in the book title, how do they die, and why might their deaths be particularly significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Latinus as a leader with Aeneas as a leader, taking into account what characteristics a leader should possess and examining each man's actions as a leader at different times in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Similes and other detailed descriptions help the reader picture and understand things about the settings, characters, and events of this work. Identify an example of a simile being used to describe each of these three things and explain how it is used, what effect it has, and why Virgil might have used that particular simile in that particular place.
Essay Topic 3
The Roman Emperor Augustus Caesar asked Virgil to write The Aeneid to celebrate his recent victory at the Battle of Actium, in which Augustus (then called Octavian) and his forces beat Mark Antony and the Egyptian ruler Cleopatra. This victory brought peace to the empire, and Octavian/Augustus worked thereafter to rule well. Looking at details in The Aeneid such as the subject matter depicted at the center of Aeneas' shield and all the references Virgil makes to the Rome of his time, discuss what purpose Virgil's work might have served at the time.
This section contains 1,191 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)