Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whose funeral does Book VII open?
2. What does Venus claim the Trojans would have been better off doing after Troy was destroyed by the Greeks?
3. Evander, unaware, is the founder of which of the following?
4. What portent announces the arrival of Venus with Aeneas' new armor?
5. How is Turnus spurred to make war on both King Latinus and the Trojans?
Essay Topic 1
In Book XII, in one of many references to a place that had been built or civilized by the time he was writing but had not yet been constructed in the past, Virgil says that Juno was "gazing from the height we now call Alban--nameless then, it had no fame or glory." Use this and other examples of Virgil's mentioning past and present places to compare Rome at its birth in this work with the Roman Empire of Virgil's time. Address questions such as in what ways have the places changed, have they changed for the better, and what sorts of places are they that he bothers to mention?
Essay Topic 2
Aeneas and Turnus are, respectively, the protagonist and antagonist of the story. Compare and contrast these two characters using examples from the text to identify ways their actions and fates parallel each other and ways they are alike or different in their personalities and beliefs.
Essay Topic 3
What role do the Muses play in the telling of this tale? When and why does Virgil call upon them? Upon which particular Muses does he rely?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)