Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whose funeral does Book VII open?
2. What does Venus claim the Trojans would have been better off doing after Troy was destroyed by the Greeks?
3. Evander, unaware, is the founder of which of the following?
4. What portent announces the arrival of Venus with Aeneas' new armor?
5. How is Turnus spurred to make war on both King Latinus and the Trojans?
Essay Topic 1
Virgil uses foreshadowing for reasons such as to introduce events he will discuss in greater detail later, to create suspense, and to kindle his audience's interest so they will continue to listen to the story. Identify three examples of foreshadowing in this work, explain how they work, and identify what Virgil's purpose might have been for using them.
Essay Topic 2
One of the main characteristics of epic poems such as The Aeneid (and The Iliad and The Odyssey) is that the poem starts "in medias res," or in the middle of the action. The narrative then reveals information about what came before through various means, such as characters telling tales of the past or the narrator providing background. Discuss how this work begins in the middle, what information the reader is eventually given about what happened before, how this information is provided, and what effect this structure has on the experience of reading the poem.
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of Aeneas' trip to the underworld in The Aeneid? What happens while he is there and what does he learn? How might it have changed the story had he not traveled through this land?
This section contains 1,487 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)