|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whose funeral does Book VII open?
2. What does Venus claim the Trojans would have been better off doing after Troy was destroyed by the Greeks?
3. Evander, unaware, is the founder of which of the following?
4. What portent announces the arrival of Venus with Aeneas' new armor?
5. How is Turnus spurred to make war on both King Latinus and the Trojans?
Essay Topic 1
How much of Turnus' fate at the end of The Aeneid is due to fate, and how much is it due to fortune? As you answer, consider and discuss the following points:
1) What effect did Jupiter have on the outcome of the fight and why?
2) How might things have turned out differently if Turnus had not taken plunder from Pallas?
3) What has Jupiter said all along about the interworkings of fate and fortune and the time allotted each man to live?
Essay Topic 2
In Book XII, in one of many references to a place that had been built or civilized by the time he was writing but had not yet been constructed in the past, Virgil says that Juno was "gazing from the height we now call Alban--nameless then, it had no fame or glory." Use this and other examples of Virgil's mentioning past and present places to compare Rome at its birth in this work with the Roman Empire of Virgil's time. Address questions such as in what ways have the places changed, have they changed for the better, and what sorts of places are they that he bothers to mention?
Essay Topic 3
The proper disposal of the dead is an important issue that runs throughout The Aeneid. Use examples from the work to explain how one should dispose of one's own dead and how one should allow one's enemy to dispose of their dead, and why.
This section contains 1,487 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)