Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whose funeral does Book VII open?
2. What does Venus claim the Trojans would have been better off doing after Troy was destroyed by the Greeks?
3. Evander, unaware, is the founder of which of the following?
4. What portent announces the arrival of Venus with Aeneas' new armor?
5. How is Turnus spurred to make war on both King Latinus and the Trojans?
Aeneas and Turnus are, respectively, the protagonist and antagonist of the story. Compare and contrast these two characters using examples from the text to identify ways their actions and fates parallel each other and ways they are alike or different in their personalities and beliefs.
The Roman Emperor Augustus Caesar asked Virgil to write The Aeneid to celebrate his recent victory at the Battle of Actium, in which Augustus (then called Octavian) and his forces beat Mark Antony and the Egyptian ruler Cleopatra. This victory brought peace to the empire, and Octavian/Augustus worked thereafter to rule well. Looking at details in The Aeneid such as the subject matter depicted at the center of Aeneas' shield and all the references Virgil makes to the Rome of his time, discuss what purpose Virgil's work might have served at the time.
How much of Turnus' fate at the end of The Aeneid is due to fate, and how much is it due to fortune? As you answer, consider and discuss the following points:
1) What effect did Jupiter have on the outcome of the fight and why?
2) How might things have turned out differently if Turnus had not taken plunder from Pallas?
3) What has Jupiter said all along about the interworkings of fate and fortune and the time allotted each man to live?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)