|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mission do Nisus and Euryalus take on?
2. How does Nisus die?
3. What pictures are shown on the shield Venus gives to Aeneas?
4. What do seers say it means when Lavinia's hair glows with divine fire?
5. Which of the following is NOT something Vulcan and the Cyclops crafted?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it significant that in Latinum, Aeneas and some of his followers eat the wheaten cakes they were using as plates for their meal?
2. Who are the princes referred to in the book title, how do they die, and why might their deaths be particularly significant?
3. What false portent does Juturna send the Rutulians and how do they interpret it?
4. How does Venus use references to the Trojan War when meeting with Jupiter at the beginning of Book X?
5. Why does Juno send Juturna to interfere with the war?
6. What does Jupiter mean when he says that to everyone (Trojan or Rutulian), he is the same king?
7. Did Nisus and Euryalus act wisely when attempting to carry out their mission? Why or why not?
8. How does Jupiter become involved with the war in Book XI, and does this seem fair after he said before in Book X about being the same king to both Trojans and Rutulians?
9. What transition occurs around lines 46-47 in Book VII and how does Virgil handle this shift?
10. How might Turnus be turning into a mini-Achilles (as predicted) in Book IX?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do the Muses play in the telling of this tale? When and why does Virgil call upon them? Upon which particular Muses does he rely?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the information about the future depicted on the shield of Aeneas with the information about the future told to Aeneas when he travels to the underworld to see Anchises. How are the depictions alike? How are they different? What might these similarities and differences signify?
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of Aeneas' trip to the underworld in The Aeneid? What happens while he is there and what does he learn? How might it have changed the story had he not traveled through this land?
This section contains 1,427 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)