Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whose funeral does Book VII open?
2. What does Venus claim the Trojans would have been better off doing after Troy was destroyed by the Greeks?
3. Evander, unaware, is the founder of which of the following?
4. What portent announces the arrival of Venus with Aeneas' new armor?
5. How is Turnus spurred to make war on both King Latinus and the Trojans?
Essay Topic 1
The Aeneid is full of examples of images that pop up over and over again. Select one of the following and trace and evaluate examples of its use throughout the work:
1) thunderbolts and lightning
Essay Topic 2
One of the main characteristics of epic poems such as The Aeneid (and The Iliad and The Odyssey) is that the poem starts "in medias res," or in the middle of the action. The narrative then reveals information about what came before through various means, such as characters telling tales of the past or the narrator providing background. Discuss how this work begins in the middle, what information the reader is eventually given about what happened before, how this information is provided, and what effect this structure has on the experience of reading the poem.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two of the following and compare and contrast their subject matter and what the information they depict conveys to someone examining them:
1) the pictures on the walls of the temple of Juno in Carthage in Book I
2) the pictures on the cloak Aeneas gives Cloanthus as a prize in Book V
3) the sculptures Daedalus created inside the temple of Apollo by the Sibyl in Book VI
4) the pictures on Aeneas's shield in Book VIII
5) the pictures on Pallas's sword belt in Book X.
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)