|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Venus use to convince her husband Vulcan to make armor for Aeneas?
2. Why does Aeneas trust he can approach Evander safely as a supplicant?
3. Who does Aeneas convince to pledge to fight with him?
4. Who fills Tarchon with anger so that he will fight and lead his warriors better?
5. Why does Juno craft a phantom Aeneas and lure Turnus onto a departing boat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of signs, portents, omens, prophesies, and so forth in The Aeneid. What are some forms these signs take? Who sends them, if anyone? Can false signs be sent, and if so, for what purpose? How do people fare when they interpret signs correctly and follow them? How do they fare when they try to act against them?
Essay Topic 2
What role do the Muses play in the telling of this tale? When and why does Virgil call upon them? Upon which particular Muses does he rely?
Essay Topic 3
The Roman Emperor Augustus Caesar asked Virgil to write The Aeneid to celebrate his recent victory at the Battle of Actium, in which Augustus (then called Octavian) and his forces beat Mark Antony and the Egyptian ruler Cleopatra. This victory brought peace to the empire, and Octavian/Augustus worked thereafter to rule well. Looking at details in The Aeneid such as the subject matter depicted at the center of Aeneas' shield and all the references Virgil makes to the Rome of his time, discuss what purpose Virgil's work might have served at the time.
This section contains 1,457 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)