|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Book XI, how does Turnus say he wants to settle the conflict?
2. Who slays Arruns?
3. Who does the queen of Latium want her daughter to marry?
4. Why does Aeneas lose his temper and kill Turnus instead of showing mercy?
5. What false portent does Juturna send the Rutulians?
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of Aeneas' trip to the underworld in The Aeneid? What happens while he is there and what does he learn? How might it have changed the story had he not traveled through this land?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the information about the future depicted on the shield of Aeneas with the information about the future told to Aeneas when he travels to the underworld to see Anchises. How are the depictions alike? How are they different? What might these similarities and differences signify?
Essay Topic 3
Choose two of the following and compare and contrast their subject matter and what the information they depict conveys to someone examining them:
1) the pictures on the walls of the temple of Juno in Carthage in Book I
2) the pictures on the cloak Aeneas gives Cloanthus as a prize in Book V
3) the sculptures Daedalus created inside the temple of Apollo by the Sibyl in Book VI
4) the pictures on Aeneas's shield in Book VIII
5) the pictures on Pallas's sword belt in Book X.
This section contains 1,479 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)