|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anchises pray to the gods for?
2. What sign does Aeneas see during the ritual for his father?
3. Who does Venus send to Carthage disguised as Aeneas' son?
4. What is remarkable about the boxing gloves of Eryx?
5. How does Dido kill herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some instances where Aeneas betrays a hastiness in temperament in Book 2?
2. How does Priam compare and contrast Achilles and Pyrrhus?
3. What message does Anchises give Aeneas in a dream?
4. Compare and contrast the Greeks with the Trojans in the affair of the wooden horse.
5. Why might the Trojan women have been tempted to set fire to the ships even without Juno and Iris befuddling them?
6. How does Aeneas make sure that people notice his son Iulus?
7. Where does Helenus say destiny and change come from?
8. What are Neptune's feelings toward Troy and toward Aeneas? How do these feelings affect Aeneas' journey on the sea?
9. Once Aeneas is definitely leaving, what disagreeable options lay before Dido that make death seem the best choice?
10. How will Aeneas start the line that turns into the rulers of the Roman Empire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two of the following and compare and contrast their subject matter and what the information they depict conveys to someone examining them:
1) the pictures on the walls of the temple of Juno in Carthage in Book I
2) the pictures on the cloak Aeneas gives Cloanthus as a prize in Book V
3) the sculptures Daedalus created inside the temple of Apollo by the Sibyl in Book VI
4) the pictures on Aeneas's shield in Book VIII
5) the pictures on Pallas's sword belt in Book X.
Essay Topic 2
The proper disposal of the dead is an important issue that runs throughout The Aeneid. Use examples from the work to explain how one should dispose of one's own dead and how one should allow one's enemy to dispose of their dead, and why.
Essay Topic 3
The Aeneid is full of examples of images that pop up over and over again. Select one of the following and trace and evaluate examples of its use throughout the work:
1) thunderbolts and lightning
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)