|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What meaning does Anchises say the portent of four white horses can have?
2. What sign does Aeneas see during the ritual for his father?
3. What does Anchises pray to the gods for?
4. How does Dido's ghost react to seeing Aeneas?
5. How do the Danaans get inside the walls of Troy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Aeneas' shield be covered with the deeds of his descendants?
2. What false portent does Juturna send the Rutulians and how do they interpret it?
3. What are some actions that demonstrate the strong friendship between Nisus and Euryalus?
4. Why are Dido's suitors so angry when she takes up with Aeneas?
5. Describe Latinus' actions once he sees his people fighting with the Trojans.
6. What are some instances where Aeneas betrays a hastiness in temperament in Book 2?
7. What sorts of souls live under Cretan Rhadamanthus' rule?
8. What qualities of a good queen/leader does Dido exemplify? Cite specific examples from the book in your answer.
9. How does talking to Anchises prepare Aeneas to go build a new city for the Trojans in Italy?
10. Examine the advice and prophecy that Faunus gives his son Latinus. Rewrite in your own words what he is saying.
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of signs, portents, omens, prophesies, and so forth in The Aeneid. What are some forms these signs take? Who sends them, if anyone? Can false signs be sent, and if so, for what purpose? How do people fare when they interpret signs correctly and follow them? How do they fare when they try to act against them?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Latinus as a leader with Aeneas as a leader, taking into account what characteristics a leader should possess and examining each man's actions as a leader at different times in the story.
Essay Topic 3
What role do the Muses play in the telling of this tale? When and why does Virgil call upon them? Upon which particular Muses does he rely?
This section contains 2,264 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)