|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dido kill herself?
2. Why does Venus at first think Juno's idea to have Dido and Aeneas marry and rule Carthage side by side is a bad one?
3. What does Palinurus' ghost ask Aeneas to do when he returns to the world?
4. Why did the Trojans think the Danaans had left?
5. Who sends Iris to talk to the mourning Trojan women?
Short Essay Questions
1. Once Aeneas is definitely leaving, what disagreeable options lay before Dido that make death seem the best choice?
2. Why is Juno so angry with the Trojans?
3. What ties Aeneas and his people to the land to which they are headed to settle?
4. What fate does Laocoön meet and why?
5. Describe the "marriage" between Dido and Aeneas.
6. What can you tell about how Aeneas is growing as a leader from his behavior at the funeral games?
7. Explain how Deïphobus died and why his body is mutilated.
8. What qualities of a good queen/leader does Dido exemplify? Cite specific examples from the book in your answer.
9. What are some instances where Aeneas betrays a hastiness in temperament in Book 2?
10. How does Priam compare and contrast Achilles and Pyrrhus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do the Muses play in the telling of this tale? When and why does Virgil call upon them? Upon which particular Muses does he rely?
Essay Topic 2
The Roman Emperor Augustus Caesar asked Virgil to write The Aeneid to celebrate his recent victory at the Battle of Actium, in which Augustus (then called Octavian) and his forces beat Mark Antony and the Egyptian ruler Cleopatra. This victory brought peace to the empire, and Octavian/Augustus worked thereafter to rule well. Looking at details in The Aeneid such as the subject matter depicted at the center of Aeneas' shield and all the references Virgil makes to the Rome of his time, discuss what purpose Virgil's work might have served at the time.
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of Aeneas' trip to the underworld in The Aeneid? What happens while he is there and what does he learn? How might it have changed the story had he not traveled through this land?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)