|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Dido turned her face against remarriage?
2. How does Cloanthus win the boat race during the funeral games?
3. After first meeting Dido, what does Aeneas send for from his ships?
4. On what do the gods take oaths that they fear to break?
5. Whom does Helenus say Aeneas should visit for advice?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does talking to Anchises prepare Aeneas to go build a new city for the Trojans in Italy?
2. What sorts of souls live under Cretan Rhadamanthus' rule?
3. Describe how Venus acts as a mother toward Aeneas.
4. How does Aeneas feel about having to leave Dido and to what extent does he allow his feelings to influence his decision to leave her?
5. What reversals of fate has Helenus faced?
6. What fate does Laocoön meet and why?
7. Where does Helenus say destiny and change come from?
8. How does Anchises explain the process by which souls become reborn?
9. Describe the state of construction in Carthage in Book 1.
10. Compare and contrast the Greeks with the Trojans in the affair of the wooden horse.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the actions of Juno and Venus throughout the story. For what reasons do these two goddesses become entangled in the affairs of humans? At what points do they cross the line and become too involved? At what points does Jupiter intervene and tell them to stop? What techniques and strategies do they use to change the outcomes of events in the world below?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Latinus as a leader with Aeneas as a leader, taking into account what characteristics a leader should possess and examining each man's actions as a leader at different times in the story.
Essay Topic 3
The Aeneid is full of examples of images that pop up over and over again. Select one of the following and trace and evaluate examples of its use throughout the work:
1) thunderbolts and lightning
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)