|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Venus send to Carthage disguised as Aeneas' son?
2. What action does the goddess Rumor take after Dido and Aeneas begin to revel in each others' company?
3. After first meeting Dido, what does Aeneas send for from his ships?
4. Where do malefactors live in the underworld?
5. What does Jupiter predict awaits Aeneas in Italy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Aeneas demonstrate skill as a leader after the Trojans finally make it to shore?
2. How does Priam compare and contrast Achilles and Pyrrhus?
3. How does Aeneas fare as a leader in Book III? Support your answer with examples from the text.
4. What are Neptune's feelings toward Troy and toward Aeneas? How do these feelings affect Aeneas' journey on the sea?
5. Why is Juno so angry with the Trojans?
6. Which gods and goddesses are actually involved in the fall of Troy and what actions do they take?
7. Once Aeneas is definitely leaving, what disagreeable options lay before Dido that make death seem the best choice?
8. What does Dido ask her people to do and what does she personally vow to do before she committed suicide?
9. What can you tell about how Aeneas is growing as a leader from his behavior at the funeral games?
10. What ties Aeneas and his people to the land to which they are headed to settle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How well do you think Aeneas would have been able to fulfill his fate without the help of gods and goddesses? As you answer, take into account the actions of divine beings working against him. If there had been no divine interaction on either side, what might have been the final outcome and why?
Essay Topic 2
What role do the Muses play in the telling of this tale? When and why does Virgil call upon them? Upon which particular Muses does he rely?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the information about the future depicted on the shield of Aeneas with the information about the future told to Aeneas when he travels to the underworld to see Anchises. How are the depictions alike? How are they different? What might these similarities and differences signify?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)