|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Venus use to convince her husband Vulcan to make armor for Aeneas?
(a) Cool reason.
(b) The flame of love.
(d) Threats of Jupiter's anger.
2. What problem does Turnus face when he tries to attack the Trojan camp?
(a) King Latinus interferes and stops him.
(b) The Trojans hole up in their camp and won't come out.
(c) He can't locate the camp because the Trojans have moved it.
(d) He is vastly outnumbered by the Trojan fighters.
3. What does Drancës call on Turnus to do?
(a) Go into exile.
(b) Relinquish his claim to Lavinia and meet Aeneas in single combat.
(c) Surrender himself as Aeneas' prisoner.
(d) Pay Lavinia's ransom.
4. What mission do Nisus and Euryalus take on?
(a) They intend to go find Aeneas and tell him about the siege.
(b) They intend to abduct Lavinia and bring her back to the Trojan camp.
(c) They intend to find reinforcements.
(d) They intend to go plead with King Latinus to stop the siege.
5. Why does Aeneas trust he can approach Evander safely as a supplicant?
(a) Evander is an enemy to Juno.
(b) Cupid has gone before him and won Evander over.
(c) They are related through their ancestors.
(d) A white pig in a dream tells him he can.
6. What does Venus claim the Trojans would have been better off doing after Troy was destroyed by the Greeks?
(a) Building shrines to her everywhere they traveled.
(b) Staying with the rest of their people back with Acestës.
(c) Rebuilding Troy instead of being pricked by fate to travel to Latium and enter into a new conflict.
(d) Showering King Latinus with shiploads of gifts to win him over before meeting him.
7. Who does the queen of Latium want her daughter to marry?
8. What is Iulus' first feat of arms?
(a) He cuts down with his sword a Rutulian trying to climb into the Trojan camp.
(b) He shoots Remulus through the head with an arrow.
(c) He fights Turnus with an ax.
(d) He uses his shield to protect another soldier from a rain of arrows.
9. What had Jupiter forbidden to happen?
(a) Lavinia and Aeneas to marry.
(b) Aeneas to ally with the Arcadians.
(c) Italy and the Trojans to go to war with each other.
(d) The Trojans to hole up in their camp.
10. How is Turnus spurred to make war on both King Latinus and the Trojans?
(a) Allecto plants a smoking torch in his body that fills him with a lust for war.
(b) Vulcan supplies him with weapons that cannot be defeated.
(c) Bacchus intoxicates his mind.
(d) Jupiter visits him and promises to help him defeat them both.
11. What happens to the Trojans' ships when Turnus tries to burn them?
(a) At the command of the mother of the gods, Jupiter turns the ships into sea-goddesses and sets them free.
(b) They go up in ashes, trapping the Trojans in Italy.
(c) At the request of Venus, Jupiter causes it to rain and put the fire out.
(d) They are hidden from view in mist by Venus.
12. Which of the following is NOT something Vulcan and the Cyclops crafted?
(a) An aegis for Pallas.
(b) A helmet for Apollo.
(c) A lightning bolt for Jupiter.
(d) A chariot for Mars.
13. What is one of Juno's arguments for why it was right for her to have helped the Rutulians?
(a) Other gods helped Aeneas by spiriting him to safety and turning his ships into nymphs.
(b) The Rutulians are fated to rule, and she is just helping them fulfill that fate.
(c) She is spending an equal amount of time helping Aeneas.
(d) The Rutulians made all the right sacrifices to her.
14. What reason does Latinus give to Turnus for why the Rutulians got involved in bloody wars with the Trojans?
(a) Turnus is an unruly hothead.
(b) The Trojans forced them to defend themselves.
(c) Latinus went against fate and allowed Lavinia to be promised to Turnus.
(d) Juno meddled in their lives.
15. For what purpose does Virgil invoke Erato, the Muse of Desire?
(a) To help him woo the goddess Venus.
(b) To help him describe the goddess Circe.
(c) To help him retell the history of the early kings of Latium.
(d) To help him talk about how Aeneas still mourned for Dido.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jupiter promise Juno about the Latin folk?
2. Who is Aeneas told will be willing to fight with him against the Latins?
3. What portent announces the arrival of Venus with Aeneas' new armor?
4. How does Arruns kill Camilla?
5. What do seers say it means when Lavinia's hair glows with divine fire?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)