|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the soothsayer say it means when bees cluster together and weigh down the branch of King Latinus' laurel tree?
(a) That there will be a good harvest that year.
(b) That Latinus and his subjects must band together against strangers.
(c) That a special stranger will come with a body of men to take Latinus' fortress.
(d) That the tree must be cut down or Latium will fall.
2. Who finds his or her way inside the Trojan camp at the end of Book IX and begins to massacre Trojans?
3. How is Aeneas healed in Book XII after war breaks out again and he is injured?
(a) Venus slips dittany into Iapyx's medicines.
(b) Jupiter sends Apollo to heal him.
(c) Lavinia tends to his wound.
(d) Iapyx heals him without any divine assistance.
4. What does Jupiter promise Juno about the Latin folk?
(a) They will win the day and turn the Trojans from their land.
(b) They will be allowed to leave the land freely.
(c) They will be allowed to keep their language and way of life.
(d) They will adopt all Trojan customs and ways.
5. Which monsters help Vulcan in his forge?
(a) Scylla and Charybdis.
6. How does Nisus die?
(a) He is killed by Volcens' men while killing Volcens for killing Euryalus.
(b) He is ripped apart while Volcens' men are retrieving the booty he stole from the Rutulian camp.
(c) He is attacked by the Furies.
(d) He is struck down by Jupiter.
7. What is Iulus' first feat of arms?
(a) He fights Turnus with an ax.
(b) He shoots Remulus through the head with an arrow.
(c) He uses his shield to protect another soldier from a rain of arrows.
(d) He cuts down with his sword a Rutulian trying to climb into the Trojan camp.
8. Who does Venus want to keep safe by removing him or her from the war between the Trojans and Latins?
9. What does Venus use to convince her husband Vulcan to make armor for Aeneas?
(a) The flame of love.
(b) Cool reason.
(d) Threats of Jupiter's anger.
10. What does Jupiter tell Hercules is the labor of the brave, since human lifetimes are so short?
(a) To die as soon as possible in battle.
(b) To spend every moment helping the weak.
(c) To make sacrifices to all the gods.
(d) To make their fame last through great deeds.
11. Why does Aeneas lose his temper and kill Turnus instead of showing mercy?
(a) Allecto plants anger in his heart.
(b) Jupiter commands him to do so.
(c) He sees Turnus wearing Pallas' swordbelt.
(d) He knows he will never have peace as long as Turnus lives.
12. Why does Nisus surrender to the Rutulians?
(a) He wants to betray Aeneas for money.
(b) He is lost in the forest and they are his only hope of finding his way back to his camp.
(c) He wants to save Euryalus.
(d) He hopes to spy on them for Aeneas.
13. How does Diomedes know Aeneas?
(a) He has heard tales from friends who traveled to Troy.
(b) Together, they stole the Palladium.
(c) Aeneas tracked him down to punish him for wounding Venus.
(d) They fought against each other in the Trojan War.
14. What favor does Aeneas generously grant the Latin petition?
(a) He will return Mezentius' weapons and armor.
(b) He will return their dead for proper burial.
(c) He will speak to Turnus about ending the conflict.
(d) He will pray to Jupiter and the gods on their behalf.
15. How does Turnus' acceptance of the challenge to fight in single combat make Aeneas feel?
(a) Full of sadness for Iulus' sake that Iulus won't get to fight any longer.
(b) Full of nervousness that Turnus might win.
(c) Full of joy because the war will cease.
(d) Full of anger that Turnus thinks he can actually match Aeneas as a fighter.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Queen Amata turned thoroughly against the idea of Aeneas marrying her daughter Lavinia?
2. What reason does Latinus give to Turnus for why the Rutulians got involved in bloody wars with the Trojans?
3. To which goddess is Camilla dedicated?
4. Which of the following is NOT something Vulcan and the Cyclops crafted?
5. Which of the following is not one of the ways Juno suggests Juturna try to save Turnus?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)