|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Venus use to convince her husband Vulcan to make armor for Aeneas?
(a) The flame of love.
(b) Cool reason.
(d) Threats of Jupiter's anger.
2. What pictures are shown on the shield Venus gives to Aeneas?
(a) Maps of Latium.
(b) Scenes from the siege of Troy.
(c) The acts that will make his descendants famous.
(d) Scenes of the gods and goddesses seated peacefully in Olympus.
3. Who does Evander plan to use as Aeneas' new army?
(a) The Rutulians.
(b) The Etruscans.
(c) The Spartans.
(d) The Ithacans.
4. What is one of Juno's arguments for why it was right for her to have helped the Rutulians?
(a) The Rutulians are fated to rule, and she is just helping them fulfill that fate.
(b) She is spending an equal amount of time helping Aeneas.
(c) Other gods helped Aeneas by spiriting him to safety and turning his ships into nymphs.
(d) The Rutulians made all the right sacrifices to her.
5. What does Jupiter promise Juno about the Latin folk?
(a) They will be allowed to keep their language and way of life.
(b) They will adopt all Trojan customs and ways.
(c) They will be allowed to leave the land freely.
(d) They will win the day and turn the Trojans from their land.
6. Which of the following is not one of the ways Juno suggests Juturna try to save Turnus?
(a) To start the war again.
(b) To snatch him back from death.
(c) To convince Jupiter to intervene.
(d) To get the two sides to break the pact.
7. What causes the Ausonians to attack the Trojans?
(a) Aeneas does not show proper reverence to King Latinus' laurel tree.
(b) Iulus hunted and shot a deer he didn't know was a favored pet.
(c) Trojan soldiers insult Lavinia.
(d) A snake startles them and a soldier striking at it causes everyone to start fighting.
8. Who kills Pallas?
9. What does Venus claim the Trojans would have been better off doing after Troy was destroyed by the Greeks?
(a) Staying with the rest of their people back with Acestës.
(b) Showering King Latinus with shiploads of gifts to win him over before meeting him.
(c) Rebuilding Troy instead of being pricked by fate to travel to Latium and enter into a new conflict.
(d) Building shrines to her everywhere they traveled.
10. Which of the following is NOT something Vulcan and the Cyclops crafted?
(a) An aegis for Pallas.
(b) A helmet for Apollo.
(c) A chariot for Mars.
(d) A lightning bolt for Jupiter.
11. What favor does Aeneas generously grant the Latin petition?
(a) He will return their dead for proper burial.
(b) He will pray to Jupiter and the gods on their behalf.
(c) He will speak to Turnus about ending the conflict.
(d) He will return Mezentius' weapons and armor.
12. How does Juturna cause unrest in the ranks of the Rutulians?
(a) Disguised as Camers, she encourages them to think that they outnumber the Trojans and that they must fight to keep from being enslaved.
(b) Disguised as Juno, she exorts them to fight like men.
(c) Disguised as Turnus, she orders them to attack Aeneas once he is on his own.
(d) Disguised as Lavinia, she pleads with them to fight to save her from Aeneas.
13. Who does Aeneas convince to pledge to fight with him?
(a) The Etruscans.
(c) The Rutulians.
14. What does Virgil do to prepare to talk about the warfare between the Trojans and the Rutulians?
(a) Calls on the Muse Calliope for help.
(b) Blames Juno for the upcoming bloodshed.
(c) Provides the reader with information about the ancestries of the major warriors.
(d) Chastizes Allecto for helping Juno start this war.
15. How is Queen Amata turned thoroughly against the idea of Aeneas marrying her daughter Lavinia?
(a) The goddess Juno threatens her with destruction if she allows the wedding to take place.
(b) The goddess Venus influences her to save Aeneas for another bride.
(c) One of Aeneas' followers tells her the story of how he treated Dido.
(d) The goddess Allecto attaches a snake to her that poisons her mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What false portent does Juturna send the Rutulians?
2. What does King Latinus propose to give to the Trojans?
3. Why does Aeneas lose his temper and kill Turnus instead of showing mercy?
4. What happens to the Trojans' ships when Turnus tries to burn them?
5. Who tells Aeneas that Ascanius and the Trojans are under siege?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)