|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What favor does Aeneas generously grant the Latin petition?
(a) He will speak to Turnus about ending the conflict.
(b) He will return their dead for proper burial.
(c) He will pray to Jupiter and the gods on their behalf.
(d) He will return Mezentius' weapons and armor.
2. Who does the queen of Latium want her daughter to marry?
3. What does Jupiter tell Hercules is the labor of the brave, since human lifetimes are so short?
(a) To make sacrifices to all the gods.
(b) To spend every moment helping the weak.
(c) To make their fame last through great deeds.
(d) To die as soon as possible in battle.
4. What causes the Ausonians to attack the Trojans?
(a) Aeneas does not show proper reverence to King Latinus' laurel tree.
(b) Trojan soldiers insult Lavinia.
(c) A snake startles them and a soldier striking at it causes everyone to start fighting.
(d) Iulus hunted and shot a deer he didn't know was a favored pet.
5. What does Venus claim the Trojans would have been better off doing after Troy was destroyed by the Greeks?
(a) Rebuilding Troy instead of being pricked by fate to travel to Latium and enter into a new conflict.
(b) Staying with the rest of their people back with Acestës.
(c) Showering King Latinus with shiploads of gifts to win him over before meeting him.
(d) Building shrines to her everywhere they traveled.
6. Evander, unaware, is the founder of which of the following?
(a) The first military school in Italy.
(b) The sacred wood of Argiletum.
(c) The Lupercal grotto.
(d) Rome's great citadel.
7. What pictures are shown on the shield Venus gives to Aeneas?
(a) Scenes of the gods and goddesses seated peacefully in Olympus.
(b) Scenes from the siege of Troy.
(c) The acts that will make his descendants famous.
(d) Maps of Latium.
8. Why does Aeneas lose his temper and kill Turnus instead of showing mercy?
(a) Allecto plants anger in his heart.
(b) Jupiter commands him to do so.
(c) He sees Turnus wearing Pallas' swordbelt.
(d) He knows he will never have peace as long as Turnus lives.
9. What false portent does Juturna send the Rutulians?
(a) Flashes of lightning that spell out Turnus' name in the sky.
(b) A horde of snakes that drive the Rutulians closer to the Trojans.
(c) Jupiter's golden bird chased off by a group of smaller birds working together after it tries to take a swan.
(d) A crown of flame that encircles Turnus' head.
10. Who appears to Aeneas in a dream to tell him where to find people willing to ally themselves with the Trojans against the Latins?
(a) Allecto, who hopes to lead him astray.
(b) Anchises, to confirm for Aeneas that he is in the right place.
(c) Venus, to help her son.
(d) Tiberinus, the river god of the Tiber.
11. What does Venus use to convince her husband Vulcan to make armor for Aeneas?
(a) The flame of love.
(c) Cool reason.
(d) Threats of Jupiter's anger.
12. Who is Aeneas told will be willing to fight with him against the Latins?
(a) King Latinus and his Latins.
(b) Turnus and his Etruscans.
(d) King Evander and his Arcadians.
13. What does the feast the Arcadians are having celebrate?
(a) When Hercules slew the beast Cacus.
(b) When Dardandus left to found Troy.
(c) When the Arcadians defeated the Latins in battle.
(d) The anniversary of Evander becoming king.
14. How does Nisus die?
(a) He is struck down by Jupiter.
(b) He is attacked by the Furies.
(c) He is killed by Volcens' men while killing Volcens for killing Euryalus.
(d) He is ripped apart while Volcens' men are retrieving the booty he stole from the Rutulian camp.
15. Who is Aeneas mourning at the beginning of Book XI?
Short Answer Questions
1. What mission do Nisus and Euryalus take on?
2. Which monsters help Vulcan in his forge?
3. Who does Evander plan to use as Aeneas' new army?
4. How is Aeneas healed in Book XII after war breaks out again and he is injured?
5. What does Drancës call on Turnus to do?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)