|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whose funeral does Book VII open?
2. What does Venus claim the Trojans would have been better off doing after Troy was destroyed by the Greeks?
(a) Showering King Latinus with shiploads of gifts to win him over before meeting him.
(b) Staying with the rest of their people back with Acestës.
(c) Rebuilding Troy instead of being pricked by fate to travel to Latium and enter into a new conflict.
(d) Building shrines to her everywhere they traveled.
3. Evander, unaware, is the founder of which of the following?
(a) The sacred wood of Argiletum.
(b) The Lupercal grotto.
(c) Rome's great citadel.
(d) The first military school in Italy.
4. What portent announces the arrival of Venus with Aeneas' new armor?
(a) A flock of doves.
(b) A tongue of fire.
(c) Flashing lightning and a thunder crack.
(d) A gentle breeze.
5. How is Turnus spurred to make war on both King Latinus and the Trojans?
(a) Bacchus intoxicates his mind.
(b) Jupiter visits him and promises to help him defeat them both.
(c) Vulcan supplies him with weapons that cannot be defeated.
(d) Allecto plants a smoking torch in his body that fills him with a lust for war.
6. What is one of Juno's arguments for why it was right for her to have helped the Rutulians?
(a) The Rutulians are fated to rule, and she is just helping them fulfill that fate.
(b) Other gods helped Aeneas by spiriting him to safety and turning his ships into nymphs.
(c) The Rutulians made all the right sacrifices to her.
(d) She is spending an equal amount of time helping Aeneas.
7. To whom is Camilla compared to as she fights?
(b) A Harpy.
(c) An Amazon.
(d) A Fury.
8. What favor does Aeneas generously grant the Latin petition?
(a) He will return their dead for proper burial.
(b) He will return Mezentius' weapons and armor.
(c) He will pray to Jupiter and the gods on their behalf.
(d) He will speak to Turnus about ending the conflict.
9. Who slays Arruns?
10. How is Queen Amata turned thoroughly against the idea of Aeneas marrying her daughter Lavinia?
(a) The goddess Venus influences her to save Aeneas for another bride.
(b) One of Aeneas' followers tells her the story of how he treated Dido.
(c) The goddess Juno threatens her with destruction if she allows the wedding to take place.
(d) The goddess Allecto attaches a snake to her that poisons her mind.
11. Who does Aeneas convince to pledge to fight with him?
(c) The Etruscans.
(d) The Rutulians.
12. Who kills Pallas?
13. What causes the Ausonians to attack the Trojans?
(a) Aeneas does not show proper reverence to King Latinus' laurel tree.
(b) Iulus hunted and shot a deer he didn't know was a favored pet.
(c) A snake startles them and a soldier striking at it causes everyone to start fighting.
(d) Trojan soldiers insult Lavinia.
14. Why does Aeneas lose his temper and kill Turnus instead of showing mercy?
(a) He knows he will never have peace as long as Turnus lives.
(b) Jupiter commands him to do so.
(c) He sees Turnus wearing Pallas' swordbelt.
(d) Allecto plants anger in his heart.
15. What does the feast the Arcadians are having celebrate?
(a) The anniversary of Evander becoming king.
(b) When Dardandus left to found Troy.
(c) When Hercules slew the beast Cacus.
(d) When the Arcadians defeated the Latins in battle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Arruns kill Camilla?
2. How is Aeneas healed in Book XII after war breaks out again and he is injured?
3. What does Aeneas say is the only reason he came to Italy?
4. Who does Venus want to keep safe by removing him or her from the war between the Trojans and Latins?
5. What false portent does Juturna send the Rutulians?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)