|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What false portent does Juturna send the Rutulians?
(a) A crown of flame that encircles Turnus' head.
(b) Flashes of lightning that spell out Turnus' name in the sky.
(c) Jupiter's golden bird chased off by a group of smaller birds working together after it tries to take a swan.
(d) A horde of snakes that drive the Rutulians closer to the Trojans.
2. What is Iulus' first feat of arms?
(a) He shoots Remulus through the head with an arrow.
(b) He fights Turnus with an ax.
(c) He uses his shield to protect another soldier from a rain of arrows.
(d) He cuts down with his sword a Rutulian trying to climb into the Trojan camp.
3. Which of the following is not one of the ways Juno suggests Juturna try to save Turnus?
(a) To start the war again.
(b) To snatch him back from death.
(c) To convince Jupiter to intervene.
(d) To get the two sides to break the pact.
4. Who is Aeneas told will be willing to fight with him against the Latins?
(a) King Evander and his Arcadians.
(b) King Latinus and his Latins.
(d) Turnus and his Etruscans.
5. What does Jupiter promise Juno about the Latin folk?
(a) They will be allowed to keep their language and way of life.
(b) They will be allowed to leave the land freely.
(c) They will adopt all Trojan customs and ways.
(d) They will win the day and turn the Trojans from their land.
6. Who kills Pallas?
7. What does Drancës call on Turnus to do?
(a) Relinquish his claim to Lavinia and meet Aeneas in single combat.
(b) Surrender himself as Aeneas' prisoner.
(c) Pay Lavinia's ransom.
(d) Go into exile.
8. What does Aeneas say is the only reason he came to Italy?
(a) Because he was invited by King Latinus.
(b) Because he promised to aid Evander and the Arcadians.
(c) Because he was fleeing the Greeks.
(d) Because fate gave him this land for settlement.
9. How does Arruns kill Camilla?
(a) With a thrown javelin.
(b) Accidentally, with a misplaced axe swing.
(c) In hand-to-hand combat.
(d) He only wounds her.
10. Who does the queen of Latium want her daughter to marry?
11. For what does Juno blame Aeneas in regard to the current conflict?
(a) She blames him for the unfair advantage of his new armor.
(b) She blames him for relying on Venus' help.
(c) She blames him for trying to abduct Lavinia.
(d) She blames him for leaving camp in charge of Ascanius.
12. What does King Latinus propose to give to the Trojans?
(a) The battle of a lifetime.
(b) Turnus' head on a spear.
(c) Chests of treasure.
(d) A region of land to settle or ships in which to depart.
13. What pictures are shown on the shield Venus gives to Aeneas?
(a) The acts that will make his descendants famous.
(b) Scenes from the siege of Troy.
(c) Scenes of the gods and goddesses seated peacefully in Olympus.
(d) Maps of Latium.
14. How does Turnus' acceptance of the challenge to fight in single combat make Aeneas feel?
(a) Full of joy because the war will cease.
(b) Full of sadness for Iulus' sake that Iulus won't get to fight any longer.
(c) Full of nervousness that Turnus might win.
(d) Full of anger that Turnus thinks he can actually match Aeneas as a fighter.
15. Who finds his or her way inside the Trojan camp at the end of Book IX and begins to massacre Trojans?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Turnus think he can beat Aeneas in single combat?
2. What does the goddess Circe do to those she enchants?
3. Who appears to Aeneas in a dream to tell him where to find people willing to ally themselves with the Trojans against the Latins?
4. Who tells Aeneas that Ascanius and the Trojans are under siege?
5. What mission do Nisus and Euryalus take on?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)