|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the feast the Arcadians are having celebrate?
(a) The anniversary of Evander becoming king.
(b) When Hercules slew the beast Cacus.
(c) When Dardandus left to found Troy.
(d) When the Arcadians defeated the Latins in battle.
2. How is Queen Amata turned thoroughly against the idea of Aeneas marrying her daughter Lavinia?
(a) The goddess Juno threatens her with destruction if she allows the wedding to take place.
(b) One of Aeneas' followers tells her the story of how he treated Dido.
(c) The goddess Venus influences her to save Aeneas for another bride.
(d) The goddess Allecto attaches a snake to her that poisons her mind.
3. Who is Aeneas told will be willing to fight with him against the Latins?
(b) King Latinus and his Latins.
(c) Turnus and his Etruscans.
(d) King Evander and his Arcadians.
4. Who does Aeneas convince to pledge to fight with him?
(a) The Etruscans.
(b) The Rutulians.
5. How does Diomedes know Aeneas?
(a) He has heard tales from friends who traveled to Troy.
(b) Together, they stole the Palladium.
(c) Aeneas tracked him down to punish him for wounding Venus.
(d) They fought against each other in the Trojan War.
6. Who slays Arruns?
7. Who does Evander plan to use as Aeneas' new army?
(a) The Ithacans.
(b) The Rutulians.
(c) The Etruscans.
(d) The Spartans.
8. What betrays the presence of Euryalus to the enemy?
(a) Allecto directing their attention to him.
(b) The gleam of his helmet in the moonlight.
(c) The noise of the clanking of the booty he has taken from Turnus' camp.
(d) A snapping twig under his feet.
9. Who finds his or her way inside the Trojan camp at the end of Book IX and begins to massacre Trojans?
10. What problem does Turnus face when he tries to attack the Trojan camp?
(a) King Latinus interferes and stops him.
(b) He can't locate the camp because the Trojans have moved it.
(c) The Trojans hole up in their camp and won't come out.
(d) He is vastly outnumbered by the Trojan fighters.
11. Why does Juno craft a phantom Aeneas and lure Turnus onto a departing boat?
(a) To spirit him away to a temple to become a priest for her.
(b) To remove the Rutulian leader so Aeneas' soldiers can win the battle.
(c) To keep him from dying in the fight.
(d) To let another Rutulian have a chance to lead.
12. How is Aeneas healed in Book XII after war breaks out again and he is injured?
(a) Iapyx heals him without any divine assistance.
(b) Lavinia tends to his wound.
(c) Jupiter sends Apollo to heal him.
(d) Venus slips dittany into Iapyx's medicines.
13. Why do the Trojans and the Latins call a twelve-day truce?
(a) Because a plague has broken out on both sides.
(b) So they can prepare for the wedding of Lavinia and Aeneas.
(c) Because the gods demand it.
(d) So they can bury their dead properly.
14. Who appears to Aeneas in a dream to tell him where to find people willing to ally themselves with the Trojans against the Latins?
(a) Allecto, who hopes to lead him astray.
(b) Tiberinus, the river god of the Tiber.
(c) Venus, to help her son.
(d) Anchises, to confirm for Aeneas that he is in the right place.
15. What does Drancës call on Turnus to do?
(a) Pay Lavinia's ransom.
(b) Relinquish his claim to Lavinia and meet Aeneas in single combat.
(c) Go into exile.
(d) Surrender himself as Aeneas' prisoner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Juno plan to do in Book VII to stop Aeneas from ruling Italy?
2. Who laments that only the head of Euryalus is brought back (on a spear) by the Rutulians?
3. What reason does Latinus give to Turnus for why the Rutulians got involved in bloody wars with the Trojans?
4. Why does Nisus surrender to the Rutulians?
5. Who fills Tarchon with anger so that he will fight and lead his warriors better?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)