|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom is Camilla compared to as she fights?
(a) A Fury.
(c) A Harpy.
(d) An Amazon.
2. How does Diomedes know Aeneas?
(a) Together, they stole the Palladium.
(b) Aeneas tracked him down to punish him for wounding Venus.
(c) They fought against each other in the Trojan War.
(d) He has heard tales from friends who traveled to Troy.
3. What does Aeneas say is the only reason he came to Italy?
(a) Because he was fleeing the Greeks.
(b) Because he promised to aid Evander and the Arcadians.
(c) Because he was invited by King Latinus.
(d) Because fate gave him this land for settlement.
4. What portent announces the arrival of Venus with Aeneas' new armor?
(a) A flock of doves.
(b) Flashing lightning and a thunder crack.
(c) A tongue of fire.
(d) A gentle breeze.
5. What does King Latinus propose to give to the Trojans?
(a) The battle of a lifetime.
(b) Turnus' head on a spear.
(c) Chests of treasure.
(d) A region of land to settle or ships in which to depart.
6. Which of the following is NOT something Vulcan and the Cyclops crafted?
(a) A lightning bolt for Jupiter.
(b) A chariot for Mars.
(c) A helmet for Apollo.
(d) An aegis for Pallas.
7. What does Aeneas say will happen to the Trojans if he loses his fight with Turnus?
(a) They will rejoin the rest of the Trojans living with Acestës.
(b) They will go live with Evander and the Arcadians.
(c) They will renew the fight and claim the land that is rightfully theirs.
(d) They will be slaughtered to the last man by Turnus.
8. Who laments that only the head of Euryalus is brought back (on a spear) by the Rutulians?
(b) Euryalus' sister.
(d) Euryalus' mother.
9. How does King Latinus welcome the Trojans to Latinum?
(a) Angrily, because the queen is forcing him to be polite to them.
(b) Sadly, because he knows their coming fortells his death.
(c) Duplicitously, because he plans to murder them and take their treasure and ships.
(d) Gladly, because he wants Aeneas to marry his daughter.
10. At the beginning of Book XI, how does Turnus say he wants to settle the conflict?
(a) He pretends that he thinks that the Rutulians should surrender.
(b) He wants to continue to fight until every last Trojan is dead.
(c) He wants to meet Aeneas in single combat.
(d) He wants to meet with the Trojans and write a treaty.
11. Which monsters help Vulcan in his forge?
(b) Scylla and Charybdis.
12. Who is sent by Juno to Turnus at the beginning of Book IX to tell him now is the time to attack the Trojans?
(d) Juno goes herself.
13. What does the soothsayer say it means when bees cluster together and weigh down the branch of King Latinus' laurel tree?
(a) That a special stranger will come with a body of men to take Latinus' fortress.
(b) That there will be a good harvest that year.
(c) That the tree must be cut down or Latium will fall.
(d) That Latinus and his subjects must band together against strangers.
14. Why does Aeneas trust he can approach Evander safely as a supplicant?
(a) Cupid has gone before him and won Evander over.
(b) Evander is an enemy to Juno.
(c) A white pig in a dream tells him he can.
(d) They are related through their ancestors.
15. How is Turnus spurred to make war on both King Latinus and the Trojans?
(a) Allecto plants a smoking torch in his body that fills him with a lust for war.
(b) Jupiter visits him and promises to help him defeat them both.
(c) Vulcan supplies him with weapons that cannot be defeated.
(d) Bacchus intoxicates his mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What false portent does Juturna send the Rutulians?
2. Why does Aeneas lose his temper and kill Turnus instead of showing mercy?
3. Who appears to Aeneas in a dream to tell him where to find people willing to ally themselves with the Trojans against the Latins?
4. Who is Aeneas mourning at the beginning of Book XI?
5. Why do the Trojans and the Latins call a twelve-day truce?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)