|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom is Camilla compared to as she fights?
(a) A Harpy.
(c) An Amazon.
(d) A Fury.
2. How does Juturna cause unrest in the ranks of the Rutulians?
(a) Disguised as Juno, she exorts them to fight like men.
(b) Disguised as Camers, she encourages them to think that they outnumber the Trojans and that they must fight to keep from being enslaved.
(c) Disguised as Lavinia, she pleads with them to fight to save her from Aeneas.
(d) Disguised as Turnus, she orders them to attack Aeneas once he is on his own.
3. What does Aeneas say is the only reason he came to Italy?
(a) Because he was fleeing the Greeks.
(b) Because he was invited by King Latinus.
(c) Because he promised to aid Evander and the Arcadians.
(d) Because fate gave him this land for settlement.
4. How does Lausus die?
(a) He is killed trying to kill Ascanius.
(b) He is struck down by the gods for blasphemy.
(c) He takes his father's place in the fight against Aeneas.
(d) He is cut down by Pallas.
5. What is one of Juno's arguments for why it was right for her to have helped the Rutulians?
(a) She is spending an equal amount of time helping Aeneas.
(b) The Rutulians are fated to rule, and she is just helping them fulfill that fate.
(c) Other gods helped Aeneas by spiriting him to safety and turning his ships into nymphs.
(d) The Rutulians made all the right sacrifices to her.
6. What favor does Aeneas generously grant the Latin petition?
(a) He will return Mezentius' weapons and armor.
(b) He will return their dead for proper burial.
(c) He will speak to Turnus about ending the conflict.
(d) He will pray to Jupiter and the gods on their behalf.
7. What false portent does Juturna send the Rutulians?
(a) A crown of flame that encircles Turnus' head.
(b) Flashes of lightning that spell out Turnus' name in the sky.
(c) Jupiter's golden bird chased off by a group of smaller birds working together after it tries to take a swan.
(d) A horde of snakes that drive the Rutulians closer to the Trojans.
8. What does King Latinus propose to give to the Trojans?
(a) Turnus' head on a spear.
(b) The battle of a lifetime.
(c) Chests of treasure.
(d) A region of land to settle or ships in which to depart.
9. Why does Aeneas trust he can approach Evander safely as a supplicant?
(a) They are related through their ancestors.
(b) Cupid has gone before him and won Evander over.
(c) A white pig in a dream tells him he can.
(d) Evander is an enemy to Juno.
10. Evander, unaware, is the founder of which of the following?
(a) Rome's great citadel.
(b) The sacred wood of Argiletum.
(c) The first military school in Italy.
(d) The Lupercal grotto.
11. Who does Aeneas convince to pledge to fight with him?
(a) The Etruscans.
(b) The Rutulians.
12. What did the god Saturn give the first people in Latinum to start their civilization?
(a) Musical instruments.
(d) A special shield.
13. Which of the following is NOT one of the examples that Venus lists of ways that Juno ignored Jupiter's will and tried to form new destinies for men?
(a) She used Iris as a helper.
(b) She caused the women to burn the Trojans' ships on Eryx's shore.
(c) She used Allecto to stir up a frenzy.
(d) She asked Vulcan to craft a special shield.
14. What betrays the presence of Euryalus to the enemy?
(a) A snapping twig under his feet.
(b) The gleam of his helmet in the moonlight.
(c) Allecto directing their attention to him.
(d) The noise of the clanking of the booty he has taken from Turnus' camp.
15. What is Iulus' first feat of arms?
(a) He fights Turnus with an ax.
(b) He uses his shield to protect another soldier from a rain of arrows.
(c) He cuts down with his sword a Rutulian trying to climb into the Trojan camp.
(d) He shoots Remulus through the head with an arrow.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is sent by Juno to Turnus at the beginning of Book IX to tell him now is the time to attack the Trojans?
2. What does the goddess Circe do to those she enchants?
3. Which monsters help Vulcan in his forge?
4. Why does Nisus surrender to the Rutulians?
5. How does Diomedes know Aeneas?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)