|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Juno plan to do in Book VII to stop Aeneas from ruling Italy?
(a) She will enlist Apollo's aid in frightening Aeneas away.
(b) She will spirit Aeneas away to another land.
(c) She will delay the wedding with Lavinia and destroy both peoples.
(d) She will bring down a plague on Latium until Aeneas leaves.
2. What mission do Nisus and Euryalus take on?
(a) They intend to find reinforcements.
(b) They intend to go find Aeneas and tell him about the siege.
(c) They intend to go plead with King Latinus to stop the siege.
(d) They intend to abduct Lavinia and bring her back to the Trojan camp.
3. Why does Turnus think he can beat Aeneas in single combat?
(a) Because Jupiter has decreed that he will win.
(b) Because Juno will fight alongside him.
(c) Because Venus will not be allowed to intervene.
(d) Because Lavinia promises to help him.
4. What does the goddess Circe do to those she enchants?
(a) She turns them into beasts.
(b) She sings to lure them into the water, where they drown.
(c) She makes them immortal.
(d) She leads them to the underworld.
5. Who appears to Aeneas in a dream to tell him where to find people willing to ally themselves with the Trojans against the Latins?
(a) Allecto, who hopes to lead him astray.
(b) Tiberinus, the river god of the Tiber.
(c) Anchises, to confirm for Aeneas that he is in the right place.
(d) Venus, to help her son.
6. What does Drancës call on Turnus to do?
(a) Surrender himself as Aeneas' prisoner.
(b) Go into exile.
(c) Pay Lavinia's ransom.
(d) Relinquish his claim to Lavinia and meet Aeneas in single combat.
7. Evander, unaware, is the founder of which of the following?
(a) The sacred wood of Argiletum.
(b) The first military school in Italy.
(c) The Lupercal grotto.
(d) Rome's great citadel.
8. Who fills Tarchon with anger so that he will fight and lead his warriors better?
9. What is Iulus' first feat of arms?
(a) He fights Turnus with an ax.
(b) He cuts down with his sword a Rutulian trying to climb into the Trojan camp.
(c) He shoots Remulus through the head with an arrow.
(d) He uses his shield to protect another soldier from a rain of arrows.
10. Why does Aeneas lose his temper and kill Turnus instead of showing mercy?
(a) Allecto plants anger in his heart.
(b) Jupiter commands him to do so.
(c) He knows he will never have peace as long as Turnus lives.
(d) He sees Turnus wearing Pallas' swordbelt.
11. To which goddess is Camilla dedicated?
12. How is Turnus spurred to make war on both King Latinus and the Trojans?
(a) Bacchus intoxicates his mind.
(b) Allecto plants a smoking torch in his body that fills him with a lust for war.
(c) Vulcan supplies him with weapons that cannot be defeated.
(d) Jupiter visits him and promises to help him defeat them both.
13. How does Nisus die?
(a) He is ripped apart while Volcens' men are retrieving the booty he stole from the Rutulian camp.
(b) He is killed by Volcens' men while killing Volcens for killing Euryalus.
(c) He is struck down by Jupiter.
(d) He is attacked by the Furies.
14. How does Turnus' acceptance of the challenge to fight in single combat make Aeneas feel?
(a) Full of anger that Turnus thinks he can actually match Aeneas as a fighter.
(b) Full of joy because the war will cease.
(c) Full of sadness for Iulus' sake that Iulus won't get to fight any longer.
(d) Full of nervousness that Turnus might win.
15. Which of the following is not one of the ways Juno suggests Juturna try to save Turnus?
(a) To snatch him back from death.
(b) To start the war again.
(c) To get the two sides to break the pact.
(d) To convince Jupiter to intervene.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Juno blame Aeneas in regard to the current conflict?
2. Who slays Arruns?
3. Which monsters help Vulcan in his forge?
4. What betrays the presence of Euryalus to the enemy?
5. What does Aeneas say will happen to the Trojans if he loses his fight with Turnus?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)