|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Aeneas told will be willing to fight with him against the Latins?
(a) Turnus and his Etruscans.
(c) King Latinus and his Latins.
(d) King Evander and his Arcadians.
2. What pictures are shown on the shield Venus gives to Aeneas?
(a) Maps of Latium.
(b) The acts that will make his descendants famous.
(c) Scenes from the siege of Troy.
(d) Scenes of the gods and goddesses seated peacefully in Olympus.
3. Who appears to Aeneas in a dream to tell him where to find people willing to ally themselves with the Trojans against the Latins?
(a) Allecto, who hopes to lead him astray.
(b) Anchises, to confirm for Aeneas that he is in the right place.
(c) Tiberinus, the river god of the Tiber.
(d) Venus, to help her son.
4. Why does Juno craft a phantom Aeneas and lure Turnus onto a departing boat?
(a) To remove the Rutulian leader so Aeneas' soldiers can win the battle.
(b) To let another Rutulian have a chance to lead.
(c) To spirit him away to a temple to become a priest for her.
(d) To keep him from dying in the fight.
5. How does Arruns kill Camilla?
(a) Accidentally, with a misplaced axe swing.
(b) With a thrown javelin.
(c) He only wounds her.
(d) In hand-to-hand combat.
6. What does Venus use to convince her husband Vulcan to make armor for Aeneas?
(b) Cool reason.
(c) Threats of Jupiter's anger.
(d) The flame of love.
7. What do Nisus and Euryalus do as they move through Turnus' camp?
(a) They call on Venus to protect them.
(b) They make note of how many soldiers are there.
(c) They bind their feet up in cloth to move silently.
(d) They slaughter sleeping warriors.
8. At the beginning of Book XI, how does Turnus say he wants to settle the conflict?
(a) He wants to meet with the Trojans and write a treaty.
(b) He wants to meet Aeneas in single combat.
(c) He pretends that he thinks that the Rutulians should surrender.
(d) He wants to continue to fight until every last Trojan is dead.
9. For what does Juno blame Aeneas in regard to the current conflict?
(a) She blames him for trying to abduct Lavinia.
(b) She blames him for leaving camp in charge of Ascanius.
(c) She blames him for the unfair advantage of his new armor.
(d) She blames him for relying on Venus' help.
10. What does Juno plan to do in Book VII to stop Aeneas from ruling Italy?
(a) She will enlist Apollo's aid in frightening Aeneas away.
(b) She will bring down a plague on Latium until Aeneas leaves.
(c) She will delay the wedding with Lavinia and destroy both peoples.
(d) She will spirit Aeneas away to another land.
11. Why does Nisus surrender to the Rutulians?
(a) He wants to save Euryalus.
(b) He is lost in the forest and they are his only hope of finding his way back to his camp.
(c) He wants to betray Aeneas for money.
(d) He hopes to spy on them for Aeneas.
12. How is Queen Amata turned thoroughly against the idea of Aeneas marrying her daughter Lavinia?
(a) One of Aeneas' followers tells her the story of how he treated Dido.
(b) The goddess Allecto attaches a snake to her that poisons her mind.
(c) The goddess Venus influences her to save Aeneas for another bride.
(d) The goddess Juno threatens her with destruction if she allows the wedding to take place.
13. How does Turnus' acceptance of the challenge to fight in single combat make Aeneas feel?
(a) Full of anger that Turnus thinks he can actually match Aeneas as a fighter.
(b) Full of joy because the war will cease.
(c) Full of sadness for Iulus' sake that Iulus won't get to fight any longer.
(d) Full of nervousness that Turnus might win.
14. What does Jupiter tell Hercules is the labor of the brave, since human lifetimes are so short?
(a) To make sacrifices to all the gods.
(b) To spend every moment helping the weak.
(c) To die as soon as possible in battle.
(d) To make their fame last through great deeds.
15. What problem does Turnus face when he tries to attack the Trojan camp?
(a) He is vastly outnumbered by the Trojan fighters.
(b) King Latinus interferes and stops him.
(c) The Trojans hole up in their camp and won't come out.
(d) He can't locate the camp because the Trojans have moved it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something Vulcan and the Cyclops crafted?
2. Which of the following is not one of the ways Juno suggests Juturna try to save Turnus?
3. Who slays Arruns?
4. What do seers say it means when Lavinia's hair glows with divine fire?
5. What causes the Ausonians to attack the Trojans?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)