|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Drancës call on Turnus to do?
(a) Relinquish his claim to Lavinia and meet Aeneas in single combat.
(b) Surrender himself as Aeneas' prisoner.
(c) Pay Lavinia's ransom.
(d) Go into exile.
2. What betrays the presence of Euryalus to the enemy?
(a) Allecto directing their attention to him.
(b) The gleam of his helmet in the moonlight.
(c) The noise of the clanking of the booty he has taken from Turnus' camp.
(d) A snapping twig under his feet.
3. What is Iulus' first feat of arms?
(a) He cuts down with his sword a Rutulian trying to climb into the Trojan camp.
(b) He uses his shield to protect another soldier from a rain of arrows.
(c) He shoots Remulus through the head with an arrow.
(d) He fights Turnus with an ax.
4. How does Nisus die?
(a) He is struck down by Jupiter.
(b) He is killed by Volcens' men while killing Volcens for killing Euryalus.
(c) He is ripped apart while Volcens' men are retrieving the booty he stole from the Rutulian camp.
(d) He is attacked by the Furies.
5. What does the goddess Circe do to those she enchants?
(a) She sings to lure them into the water, where they drown.
(b) She turns them into beasts.
(c) She makes them immortal.
(d) She leads them to the underworld.
6. Who does Evander plan to use as Aeneas' new army?
(a) The Rutulians.
(b) The Etruscans.
(c) The Ithacans.
(d) The Spartans.
7. What does Juno plan to do in Book VII to stop Aeneas from ruling Italy?
(a) She will spirit Aeneas away to another land.
(b) She will enlist Apollo's aid in frightening Aeneas away.
(c) She will bring down a plague on Latium until Aeneas leaves.
(d) She will delay the wedding with Lavinia and destroy both peoples.
8. What causes the Ausonians to attack the Trojans?
(a) Aeneas does not show proper reverence to King Latinus' laurel tree.
(b) Trojan soldiers insult Lavinia.
(c) A snake startles them and a soldier striking at it causes everyone to start fighting.
(d) Iulus hunted and shot a deer he didn't know was a favored pet.
9. At the beginning of Book XI, how does Turnus say he wants to settle the conflict?
(a) He wants to meet with the Trojans and write a treaty.
(b) He wants to continue to fight until every last Trojan is dead.
(c) He wants to meet Aeneas in single combat.
(d) He pretends that he thinks that the Rutulians should surrender.
10. What does King Latinus propose to give to the Trojans?
(a) A region of land to settle or ships in which to depart.
(b) The battle of a lifetime.
(c) Chests of treasure.
(d) Turnus' head on a spear.
11. Why does Turnus think he can beat Aeneas in single combat?
(a) Because Jupiter has decreed that he will win.
(b) Because Venus will not be allowed to intervene.
(c) Because Juno will fight alongside him.
(d) Because Lavinia promises to help him.
12. What favor does Aeneas generously grant the Latin petition?
(a) He will return their dead for proper burial.
(b) He will pray to Jupiter and the gods on their behalf.
(c) He will speak to Turnus about ending the conflict.
(d) He will return Mezentius' weapons and armor.
13. What is one of Juno's arguments for why it was right for her to have helped the Rutulians?
(a) She is spending an equal amount of time helping Aeneas.
(b) The Rutulians are fated to rule, and she is just helping them fulfill that fate.
(c) Other gods helped Aeneas by spiriting him to safety and turning his ships into nymphs.
(d) The Rutulians made all the right sacrifices to her.
14. Who finds his or her way inside the Trojan camp at the end of Book IX and begins to massacre Trojans?
15. What problem does Turnus face when he tries to attack the Trojan camp?
(a) The Trojans hole up in their camp and won't come out.
(b) He is vastly outnumbered by the Trojan fighters.
(c) King Latinus interferes and stops him.
(d) He can't locate the camp because the Trojans have moved it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Virgil do to prepare to talk about the warfare between the Trojans and the Rutulians?
2. What happens to the Trojans' ships when Turnus tries to burn them?
3. To whom is Camilla compared to as she fights?
4. Who laments that only the head of Euryalus is brought back (on a spear) by the Rutulians?
5. Evander, unaware, is the founder of which of the following?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)