|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What portent announces the arrival of Venus with Aeneas' new armor?
(a) A flock of doves.
(b) Flashing lightning and a thunder crack.
(c) A tongue of fire.
(d) A gentle breeze.
2. What betrays the presence of Euryalus to the enemy?
(a) A snapping twig under his feet.
(b) The gleam of his helmet in the moonlight.
(c) The noise of the clanking of the booty he has taken from Turnus' camp.
(d) Allecto directing their attention to him.
3. What does Aeneas promise to the Italians if he wins his fight with Turnus?
(a) Having proven his point that he is the greatest, he will leave and found his city elsewhere.
(b) He will not subjugate the Italians, but rather both kingdoms will unite and live as equals.
(c) He will make the Italians the slaves of the Trojans.
(d) He will let them continue to rule while the Trojans submit to everything they say.
4. How does Lausus die?
(a) He is cut down by Pallas.
(b) He takes his father's place in the fight against Aeneas.
(c) He is struck down by the gods for blasphemy.
(d) He is killed trying to kill Ascanius.
5. What happens to the Trojans' ships when Turnus tries to burn them?
(a) They go up in ashes, trapping the Trojans in Italy.
(b) At the command of the mother of the gods, Jupiter turns the ships into sea-goddesses and sets them free.
(c) They are hidden from view in mist by Venus.
(d) At the request of Venus, Jupiter causes it to rain and put the fire out.
6. Why does Turnus think he can beat Aeneas in single combat?
(a) Because Juno will fight alongside him.
(b) Because Venus will not be allowed to intervene.
(c) Because Lavinia promises to help him.
(d) Because Jupiter has decreed that he will win.
7. What mission do Nisus and Euryalus take on?
(a) They intend to abduct Lavinia and bring her back to the Trojan camp.
(b) They intend to find reinforcements.
(c) They intend to go find Aeneas and tell him about the siege.
(d) They intend to go plead with King Latinus to stop the siege.
8. What had Jupiter forbidden to happen?
(a) The Trojans to hole up in their camp.
(b) Aeneas to ally with the Arcadians.
(c) Lavinia and Aeneas to marry.
(d) Italy and the Trojans to go to war with each other.
9. Who finds his or her way inside the Trojan camp at the end of Book IX and begins to massacre Trojans?
10. How is Queen Amata turned thoroughly against the idea of Aeneas marrying her daughter Lavinia?
(a) The goddess Juno threatens her with destruction if she allows the wedding to take place.
(b) One of Aeneas' followers tells her the story of how he treated Dido.
(c) The goddess Allecto attaches a snake to her that poisons her mind.
(d) The goddess Venus influences her to save Aeneas for another bride.
11. Who laments that only the head of Euryalus is brought back (on a spear) by the Rutulians?
(a) Euryalus' sister.
(b) Euryalus' mother.
12. Who slays Arruns?
13. How does Turnus' acceptance of the challenge to fight in single combat make Aeneas feel?
(a) Full of nervousness that Turnus might win.
(b) Full of anger that Turnus thinks he can actually match Aeneas as a fighter.
(c) Full of sadness for Iulus' sake that Iulus won't get to fight any longer.
(d) Full of joy because the war will cease.
14. To which goddess is Camilla dedicated?
15. Which of the following is NOT something Vulcan and the Cyclops crafted?
(a) An aegis for Pallas.
(b) A lightning bolt for Jupiter.
(c) A helmet for Apollo.
(d) A chariot for Mars.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pictures are shown on the shield Venus gives to Aeneas?
2. Why does Nisus surrender to the Rutulians?
3. Why do the Trojans and the Latins call a twelve-day truce?
4. Who is sent by Juno to Turnus at the beginning of Book IX to tell him now is the time to attack the Trojans?
5. Who does Aeneas convince to pledge to fight with him?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)