|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who finds his or her way inside the Trojan camp at the end of Book IX and begins to massacre Trojans?
2. What does Aeneas say will happen to the Trojans if he loses his fight with Turnus?
(a) They will be slaughtered to the last man by Turnus.
(b) They will renew the fight and claim the land that is rightfully theirs.
(c) They will rejoin the rest of the Trojans living with Acestës.
(d) They will go live with Evander and the Arcadians.
3. Who tells Aeneas that Ascanius and the Trojans are under siege?
(b) The ghost of Nisus.
(c) The ghost of Euryalus.
(d) The sea nymphs that were once his ships.
4. Which of the following is not one of the ways Juno suggests Juturna try to save Turnus?
(a) To start the war again.
(b) To snatch him back from death.
(c) To get the two sides to break the pact.
(d) To convince Jupiter to intervene.
5. Why does Aeneas lose his temper and kill Turnus instead of showing mercy?
(a) Jupiter commands him to do so.
(b) He knows he will never have peace as long as Turnus lives.
(c) He sees Turnus wearing Pallas' swordbelt.
(d) Allecto plants anger in his heart.
6. What reason does Latinus give to Turnus for why the Rutulians got involved in bloody wars with the Trojans?
(a) Turnus is an unruly hothead.
(b) Latinus went against fate and allowed Lavinia to be promised to Turnus.
(c) Juno meddled in their lives.
(d) The Trojans forced them to defend themselves.
7. Who laments that only the head of Euryalus is brought back (on a spear) by the Rutulians?
(b) Euryalus' mother.
(c) Euryalus' sister.
8. What does Jupiter tell Hercules is the labor of the brave, since human lifetimes are so short?
(a) To spend every moment helping the weak.
(b) To make sacrifices to all the gods.
(c) To die as soon as possible in battle.
(d) To make their fame last through great deeds.
9. Who does the queen of Latium want her daughter to marry?
10. What did the god Saturn give the first people in Latinum to start their civilization?
(b) Musical instruments.
(d) A special shield.
11. What does Venus use to convince her husband Vulcan to make armor for Aeneas?
(a) The flame of love.
(b) Cool reason.
(d) Threats of Jupiter's anger.
12. Who appears to Aeneas in a dream to tell him where to find people willing to ally themselves with the Trojans against the Latins?
(a) Allecto, who hopes to lead him astray.
(b) Tiberinus, the river god of the Tiber.
(c) Anchises, to confirm for Aeneas that he is in the right place.
(d) Venus, to help her son.
13. Why does Turnus think he can beat Aeneas in single combat?
(a) Because Jupiter has decreed that he will win.
(b) Because Lavinia promises to help him.
(c) Because Juno will fight alongside him.
(d) Because Venus will not be allowed to intervene.
14. At the beginning of Book XI, how does Turnus say he wants to settle the conflict?
(a) He wants to meet with the Trojans and write a treaty.
(b) He wants to meet Aeneas in single combat.
(c) He wants to continue to fight until every last Trojan is dead.
(d) He pretends that he thinks that the Rutulians should surrender.
15. Why does Aeneas trust he can approach Evander safely as a supplicant?
(a) Cupid has gone before him and won Evander over.
(b) A white pig in a dream tells him he can.
(c) Evander is an enemy to Juno.
(d) They are related through their ancestors.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who fills Tarchon with anger so that he will fight and lead his warriors better?
2. What does Venus claim the Trojans would have been better off doing after Troy was destroyed by the Greeks?
3. What does Ilioneus ask for from King Latinus?
4. To whom is Camilla compared to as she fights?
5. Which of the following is NOT one of the examples that Venus lists of ways that Juno ignored Jupiter's will and tried to form new destinies for men?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)