|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is sent by Juno to Turnus at the beginning of Book IX to tell him now is the time to attack the Trojans?
(d) Juno goes herself.
2. Which of the following is NOT something Vulcan and the Cyclops crafted?
(a) An aegis for Pallas.
(b) A lightning bolt for Jupiter.
(c) A chariot for Mars.
(d) A helmet for Apollo.
3. What does the soothsayer say it means when bees cluster together and weigh down the branch of King Latinus' laurel tree?
(a) That a special stranger will come with a body of men to take Latinus' fortress.
(b) That the tree must be cut down or Latium will fall.
(c) That there will be a good harvest that year.
(d) That Latinus and his subjects must band together against strangers.
4. Why do the Trojans and the Latins call a twelve-day truce?
(a) Because the gods demand it.
(b) Because a plague has broken out on both sides.
(c) So they can bury their dead properly.
(d) So they can prepare for the wedding of Lavinia and Aeneas.
5. Who finds his or her way inside the Trojan camp at the end of Book IX and begins to massacre Trojans?
6. How does Arruns kill Camilla?
(a) He only wounds her.
(b) In hand-to-hand combat.
(c) With a thrown javelin.
(d) Accidentally, with a misplaced axe swing.
7. Who is Aeneas told will be willing to fight with him against the Latins?
(a) King Evander and his Arcadians.
(b) Turnus and his Etruscans.
(d) King Latinus and his Latins.
8. What does Virgil do to prepare to talk about the warfare between the Trojans and the Rutulians?
(a) Provides the reader with information about the ancestries of the major warriors.
(b) Blames Juno for the upcoming bloodshed.
(c) Chastizes Allecto for helping Juno start this war.
(d) Calls on the Muse Calliope for help.
9. What does Aeneas say is the only reason he came to Italy?
(a) Because he was fleeing the Greeks.
(b) Because fate gave him this land for settlement.
(c) Because he was invited by King Latinus.
(d) Because he promised to aid Evander and the Arcadians.
10. What reason does Latinus give to Turnus for why the Rutulians got involved in bloody wars with the Trojans?
(a) Turnus is an unruly hothead.
(b) Latinus went against fate and allowed Lavinia to be promised to Turnus.
(c) Juno meddled in their lives.
(d) The Trojans forced them to defend themselves.
11. Why does Juno craft a phantom Aeneas and lure Turnus onto a departing boat?
(a) To spirit him away to a temple to become a priest for her.
(b) To let another Rutulian have a chance to lead.
(c) To keep him from dying in the fight.
(d) To remove the Rutulian leader so Aeneas' soldiers can win the battle.
12. What portent announces the arrival of Venus with Aeneas' new armor?
(a) A tongue of fire.
(b) A flock of doves.
(c) A gentle breeze.
(d) Flashing lightning and a thunder crack.
13. Who appears to Aeneas in a dream to tell him where to find people willing to ally themselves with the Trojans against the Latins?
(a) Allecto, who hopes to lead him astray.
(b) Tiberinus, the river god of the Tiber.
(c) Anchises, to confirm for Aeneas that he is in the right place.
(d) Venus, to help her son.
14. Who does Aeneas convince to pledge to fight with him?
(a) The Rutulians.
(c) The Etruscans.
15. Who is Aeneas mourning at the beginning of Book XI?
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the Ausonians to attack the Trojans?
2. What do seers say it means when Lavinia's hair glows with divine fire?
3. Which of the following is not one of the ways Juno suggests Juturna try to save Turnus?
4. What favor does Aeneas generously grant the Latin petition?
5. What did the god Saturn give the first people in Latinum to start their civilization?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)