|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Drancës call on Turnus to do?
(a) Surrender himself as Aeneas' prisoner.
(b) Pay Lavinia's ransom.
(c) Go into exile.
(d) Relinquish his claim to Lavinia and meet Aeneas in single combat.
2. What had Jupiter forbidden to happen?
(a) The Trojans to hole up in their camp.
(b) Lavinia and Aeneas to marry.
(c) Aeneas to ally with the Arcadians.
(d) Italy and the Trojans to go to war with each other.
3. To which goddess is Camilla dedicated?
4. Why do the Trojans and the Latins call a twelve-day truce?
(a) Because the gods demand it.
(b) Because a plague has broken out on both sides.
(c) So they can prepare for the wedding of Lavinia and Aeneas.
(d) So they can bury their dead properly.
5. Who appears to Aeneas in a dream to tell him where to find people willing to ally themselves with the Trojans against the Latins?
(a) Tiberinus, the river god of the Tiber.
(b) Anchises, to confirm for Aeneas that he is in the right place.
(c) Allecto, who hopes to lead him astray.
(d) Venus, to help her son.
6. At the beginning of Book XI, how does Turnus say he wants to settle the conflict?
(a) He wants to meet Aeneas in single combat.
(b) He wants to continue to fight until every last Trojan is dead.
(c) He pretends that he thinks that the Rutulians should surrender.
(d) He wants to meet with the Trojans and write a treaty.
7. Who kills Pallas?
8. Who does the queen of Latium want her daughter to marry?
9. What mission do Nisus and Euryalus take on?
(a) They intend to go find Aeneas and tell him about the siege.
(b) They intend to abduct Lavinia and bring her back to the Trojan camp.
(c) They intend to go plead with King Latinus to stop the siege.
(d) They intend to find reinforcements.
10. Who does Aeneas convince to pledge to fight with him?
(c) The Rutulians.
(d) The Etruscans.
11. What does Virgil do to prepare to talk about the warfare between the Trojans and the Rutulians?
(a) Chastizes Allecto for helping Juno start this war.
(b) Blames Juno for the upcoming bloodshed.
(c) Calls on the Muse Calliope for help.
(d) Provides the reader with information about the ancestries of the major warriors.
12. With whose funeral does Book VII open?
13. How does Arruns kill Camilla?
(a) In hand-to-hand combat.
(b) Accidentally, with a misplaced axe swing.
(c) He only wounds her.
(d) With a thrown javelin.
14. What favor does Aeneas generously grant the Latin petition?
(a) He will return Mezentius' weapons and armor.
(b) He will return their dead for proper burial.
(c) He will speak to Turnus about ending the conflict.
(d) He will pray to Jupiter and the gods on their behalf.
15. Why does Nisus surrender to the Rutulians?
(a) He wants to save Euryalus.
(b) He hopes to spy on them for Aeneas.
(c) He is lost in the forest and they are his only hope of finding his way back to his camp.
(d) He wants to betray Aeneas for money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finds his or her way inside the Trojan camp at the end of Book IX and begins to massacre Trojans?
2. Which of the following is NOT one of the examples that Venus lists of ways that Juno ignored Jupiter's will and tried to form new destinies for men?
3. What does King Latinus propose to give to the Trojans?
4. What does Aeneas promise to the Italians if he wins his fight with Turnus?
5. How does Juturna cause unrest in the ranks of the Rutulians?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)