|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who laments that only the head of Euryalus is brought back (on a spear) by the Rutulians?
(a) Euryalus' mother.
(c) Euryalus' sister.
2. What does Drancës call on Turnus to do?
(a) Pay Lavinia's ransom.
(b) Relinquish his claim to Lavinia and meet Aeneas in single combat.
(c) Go into exile.
(d) Surrender himself as Aeneas' prisoner.
3. Which monsters help Vulcan in his forge?
(a) Scylla and Charybdis.
4. Who finds his or her way inside the Trojan camp at the end of Book IX and begins to massacre Trojans?
5. How does Nisus die?
(a) He is struck down by Jupiter.
(b) He is killed by Volcens' men while killing Volcens for killing Euryalus.
(c) He is ripped apart while Volcens' men are retrieving the booty he stole from the Rutulian camp.
(d) He is attacked by the Furies.
6. Why does Turnus think he can beat Aeneas in single combat?
(a) Because Juno will fight alongside him.
(b) Because Venus will not be allowed to intervene.
(c) Because Lavinia promises to help him.
(d) Because Jupiter has decreed that he will win.
7. Why does Aeneas lose his temper and kill Turnus instead of showing mercy?
(a) He knows he will never have peace as long as Turnus lives.
(b) Allecto plants anger in his heart.
(c) He sees Turnus wearing Pallas' swordbelt.
(d) Jupiter commands him to do so.
8. For what purpose does Virgil invoke Erato, the Muse of Desire?
(a) To help him woo the goddess Venus.
(b) To help him talk about how Aeneas still mourned for Dido.
(c) To help him describe the goddess Circe.
(d) To help him retell the history of the early kings of Latium.
9. What does Juno plan to do in Book VII to stop Aeneas from ruling Italy?
(a) She will bring down a plague on Latium until Aeneas leaves.
(b) She will enlist Apollo's aid in frightening Aeneas away.
(c) She will delay the wedding with Lavinia and destroy both peoples.
(d) She will spirit Aeneas away to another land.
10. Who appears to Aeneas in a dream to tell him where to find people willing to ally themselves with the Trojans against the Latins?
(a) Anchises, to confirm for Aeneas that he is in the right place.
(b) Allecto, who hopes to lead him astray.
(c) Venus, to help her son.
(d) Tiberinus, the river god of the Tiber.
11. What does Venus use to convince her husband Vulcan to make armor for Aeneas?
(b) Cool reason.
(c) Threats of Jupiter's anger.
(d) The flame of love.
12. How does Lausus die?
(a) He is cut down by Pallas.
(b) He takes his father's place in the fight against Aeneas.
(c) He is killed trying to kill Ascanius.
(d) He is struck down by the gods for blasphemy.
13. What false portent does Juturna send the Rutulians?
(a) A horde of snakes that drive the Rutulians closer to the Trojans.
(b) Flashes of lightning that spell out Turnus' name in the sky.
(c) A crown of flame that encircles Turnus' head.
(d) Jupiter's golden bird chased off by a group of smaller birds working together after it tries to take a swan.
14. Evander, unaware, is the founder of which of the following?
(a) The first military school in Italy.
(b) Rome's great citadel.
(c) The sacred wood of Argiletum.
(d) The Lupercal grotto.
15. Who kills Pallas?
Short Answer Questions
1. To which goddess is Camilla dedicated?
2. Why does Juno craft a phantom Aeneas and lure Turnus onto a departing boat?
3. What does Aeneas promise to the Italians if he wins his fight with Turnus?
4. What is one of Juno's arguments for why it was right for her to have helped the Rutulians?
5. What causes the Ausonians to attack the Trojans?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)