|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What favor does Aeneas generously grant the Latin petition?
(a) He will pray to Jupiter and the gods on their behalf.
(b) He will return Mezentius' weapons and armor.
(c) He will return their dead for proper burial.
(d) He will speak to Turnus about ending the conflict.
2. With whose funeral does Book VII open?
3. What does Jupiter tell Hercules is the labor of the brave, since human lifetimes are so short?
(a) To spend every moment helping the weak.
(b) To die as soon as possible in battle.
(c) To make their fame last through great deeds.
(d) To make sacrifices to all the gods.
4. Who does the queen of Latium want her daughter to marry?
5. Why do the Trojans and the Latins call a twelve-day truce?
(a) So they can bury their dead properly.
(b) Because a plague has broken out on both sides.
(c) So they can prepare for the wedding of Lavinia and Aeneas.
(d) Because the gods demand it.
6. What does the soothsayer say it means when bees cluster together and weigh down the branch of King Latinus' laurel tree?
(a) That a special stranger will come with a body of men to take Latinus' fortress.
(b) That there will be a good harvest that year.
(c) That the tree must be cut down or Latium will fall.
(d) That Latinus and his subjects must band together against strangers.
7. Who kills Pallas?
8. For what purpose does Virgil invoke Erato, the Muse of Desire?
(a) To help him describe the goddess Circe.
(b) To help him woo the goddess Venus.
(c) To help him talk about how Aeneas still mourned for Dido.
(d) To help him retell the history of the early kings of Latium.
9. What do seers say it means when Lavinia's hair glows with divine fire?
(a) That she will die by fire.
(b) That she is destined to become the next Sibyl.
(c) That she will be famous and receive glory, but also bring war on her people.
(d) That she be taken up to Olympus to wed a god.
10. What does Drancës call on Turnus to do?
(a) Relinquish his claim to Lavinia and meet Aeneas in single combat.
(b) Surrender himself as Aeneas' prisoner.
(c) Pay Lavinia's ransom.
(d) Go into exile.
11. Who finds his or her way inside the Trojan camp at the end of Book IX and begins to massacre Trojans?
12. Evander, unaware, is the founder of which of the following?
(a) The Lupercal grotto.
(b) Rome's great citadel.
(c) The first military school in Italy.
(d) The sacred wood of Argiletum.
13. What happens to the Trojans' ships when Turnus tries to burn them?
(a) They go up in ashes, trapping the Trojans in Italy.
(b) At the command of the mother of the gods, Jupiter turns the ships into sea-goddesses and sets them free.
(c) At the request of Venus, Jupiter causes it to rain and put the fire out.
(d) They are hidden from view in mist by Venus.
14. To which goddess is Camilla dedicated?
15. Who does Aeneas convince to pledge to fight with him?
(c) The Rutulians.
(d) The Etruscans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Venus use to convince her husband Vulcan to make armor for Aeneas?
2. How is Turnus spurred to make war on both King Latinus and the Trojans?
3. Who appears to Aeneas in a dream to tell him where to find people willing to ally themselves with the Trojans against the Latins?
4. Which of the following is NOT something Vulcan and the Cyclops crafted?
5. What does the feast the Arcadians are having celebrate?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)