|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not one of the ways Juno suggests Juturna try to save Turnus?
(a) To get the two sides to break the pact.
(b) To convince Jupiter to intervene.
(c) To start the war again.
(d) To snatch him back from death.
2. Which of the following is NOT something Vulcan and the Cyclops crafted?
(a) An aegis for Pallas.
(b) A helmet for Apollo.
(c) A chariot for Mars.
(d) A lightning bolt for Jupiter.
3. How is Queen Amata turned thoroughly against the idea of Aeneas marrying her daughter Lavinia?
(a) The goddess Venus influences her to save Aeneas for another bride.
(b) One of Aeneas' followers tells her the story of how he treated Dido.
(c) The goddess Allecto attaches a snake to her that poisons her mind.
(d) The goddess Juno threatens her with destruction if she allows the wedding to take place.
4. What problem does Turnus face when he tries to attack the Trojan camp?
(a) He is vastly outnumbered by the Trojan fighters.
(b) King Latinus interferes and stops him.
(c) He can't locate the camp because the Trojans have moved it.
(d) The Trojans hole up in their camp and won't come out.
5. How does King Latinus welcome the Trojans to Latinum?
(a) Duplicitously, because he plans to murder them and take their treasure and ships.
(b) Angrily, because the queen is forcing him to be polite to them.
(c) Gladly, because he wants Aeneas to marry his daughter.
(d) Sadly, because he knows their coming fortells his death.
6. What does the goddess Circe do to those she enchants?
(a) She sings to lure them into the water, where they drown.
(b) She makes them immortal.
(c) She leads them to the underworld.
(d) She turns them into beasts.
7. To which goddess is Camilla dedicated?
8. What does Aeneas promise to the Italians if he wins his fight with Turnus?
(a) He will let them continue to rule while the Trojans submit to everything they say.
(b) He will make the Italians the slaves of the Trojans.
(c) Having proven his point that he is the greatest, he will leave and found his city elsewhere.
(d) He will not subjugate the Italians, but rather both kingdoms will unite and live as equals.
9. What does Ilioneus ask for from King Latinus?
(a) Soldiers and weapons to seek revenge on the Greeks.
(b) Food and supplies to send to the Trojans left behind with Acestës.
(c) Lumber and sails to repair their ships.
(d) A modest piece of land on the coast where the Trojans can settle.
10. Who does the queen of Latium want her daughter to marry?
11. What does Jupiter promise Juno about the Latin folk?
(a) They will win the day and turn the Trojans from their land.
(b) They will adopt all Trojan customs and ways.
(c) They will be allowed to leave the land freely.
(d) They will be allowed to keep their language and way of life.
12. What portent announces the arrival of Venus with Aeneas' new armor?
(a) A gentle breeze.
(b) Flashing lightning and a thunder crack.
(c) A tongue of fire.
(d) A flock of doves.
13. How does Lausus die?
(a) He is struck down by the gods for blasphemy.
(b) He takes his father's place in the fight against Aeneas.
(c) He is killed trying to kill Ascanius.
(d) He is cut down by Pallas.
14. What does Aeneas say is the only reason he came to Italy?
(a) Because he was fleeing the Greeks.
(b) Because fate gave him this land for settlement.
(c) Because he promised to aid Evander and the Arcadians.
(d) Because he was invited by King Latinus.
15. At the beginning of Book XI, how does Turnus say he wants to settle the conflict?
(a) He wants to meet with the Trojans and write a treaty.
(b) He pretends that he thinks that the Rutulians should surrender.
(c) He wants to continue to fight until every last Trojan is dead.
(d) He wants to meet Aeneas in single combat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Nisus and Euryalus do as they move through Turnus' camp?
2. Why does Juno craft a phantom Aeneas and lure Turnus onto a departing boat?
3. How does Turnus' acceptance of the challenge to fight in single combat make Aeneas feel?
4. Who is Aeneas mourning at the beginning of Book XI?
5. What pictures are shown on the shield Venus gives to Aeneas?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)