|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who laments that only the head of Euryalus is brought back (on a spear) by the Rutulians?
(a) Euryalus' mother.
(b) Euryalus' sister.
2. Why does Turnus think he can beat Aeneas in single combat?
(a) Because Lavinia promises to help him.
(b) Because Juno will fight alongside him.
(c) Because Venus will not be allowed to intervene.
(d) Because Jupiter has decreed that he will win.
3. What does the soothsayer say it means when bees cluster together and weigh down the branch of King Latinus' laurel tree?
(a) That the tree must be cut down or Latium will fall.
(b) That Latinus and his subjects must band together against strangers.
(c) That there will be a good harvest that year.
(d) That a special stranger will come with a body of men to take Latinus' fortress.
4. What do Nisus and Euryalus do as they move through Turnus' camp?
(a) They make note of how many soldiers are there.
(b) They call on Venus to protect them.
(c) They slaughter sleeping warriors.
(d) They bind their feet up in cloth to move silently.
5. Who does Venus want to keep safe by removing him or her from the war between the Trojans and Latins?
6. Who does Aeneas convince to pledge to fight with him?
(a) The Etruscans.
(c) The Rutulians.
7. Why does Nisus surrender to the Rutulians?
(a) He wants to save Euryalus.
(b) He hopes to spy on them for Aeneas.
(c) He wants to betray Aeneas for money.
(d) He is lost in the forest and they are his only hope of finding his way back to his camp.
8. What does Jupiter tell Hercules is the labor of the brave, since human lifetimes are so short?
(a) To make sacrifices to all the gods.
(b) To die as soon as possible in battle.
(c) To spend every moment helping the weak.
(d) To make their fame last through great deeds.
9. What had Jupiter forbidden to happen?
(a) Lavinia and Aeneas to marry.
(b) Italy and the Trojans to go to war with each other.
(c) Aeneas to ally with the Arcadians.
(d) The Trojans to hole up in their camp.
10. What betrays the presence of Euryalus to the enemy?
(a) The gleam of his helmet in the moonlight.
(b) Allecto directing their attention to him.
(c) The noise of the clanking of the booty he has taken from Turnus' camp.
(d) A snapping twig under his feet.
11. What portent announces the arrival of Venus with Aeneas' new armor?
(a) Flashing lightning and a thunder crack.
(b) A gentle breeze.
(c) A flock of doves.
(d) A tongue of fire.
12. What does Venus use to convince her husband Vulcan to make armor for Aeneas?
(a) Cool reason.
(c) Threats of Jupiter's anger.
(d) The flame of love.
13. Who tells Aeneas that Ascanius and the Trojans are under siege?
(a) The ghost of Nisus.
(b) The sea nymphs that were once his ships.
(c) The ghost of Euryalus.
14. What does Aeneas say will happen to the Trojans if he loses his fight with Turnus?
(a) They will rejoin the rest of the Trojans living with Acestës.
(b) They will go live with Evander and the Arcadians.
(c) They will renew the fight and claim the land that is rightfully theirs.
(d) They will be slaughtered to the last man by Turnus.
15. Which monsters help Vulcan in his forge?
(b) Scylla and Charybdis.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Diomedes know Aeneas?
2. Why does Juno craft a phantom Aeneas and lure Turnus onto a departing boat?
3. Which of the following is NOT something Vulcan and the Cyclops crafted?
4. Who appears to Aeneas in a dream to tell him where to find people willing to ally themselves with the Trojans against the Latins?
5. How does Juturna cause unrest in the ranks of the Rutulians?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)