|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who laments that only the head of Euryalus is brought back (on a spear) by the Rutulians?
(b) Euryalus' sister.
(c) Euryalus' mother.
2. Why does Juno craft a phantom Aeneas and lure Turnus onto a departing boat?
(a) To keep him from dying in the fight.
(b) To remove the Rutulian leader so Aeneas' soldiers can win the battle.
(c) To spirit him away to a temple to become a priest for her.
(d) To let another Rutulian have a chance to lead.
3. Who is sent by Juno to Turnus at the beginning of Book IX to tell him now is the time to attack the Trojans?
(a) Juno goes herself.
4. Who does Aeneas convince to pledge to fight with him?
(a) The Rutulians.
(d) The Etruscans.
5. What happens to the Trojans' ships when Turnus tries to burn them?
(a) At the command of the mother of the gods, Jupiter turns the ships into sea-goddesses and sets them free.
(b) They are hidden from view in mist by Venus.
(c) They go up in ashes, trapping the Trojans in Italy.
(d) At the request of Venus, Jupiter causes it to rain and put the fire out.
6. What is Iulus' first feat of arms?
(a) He cuts down with his sword a Rutulian trying to climb into the Trojan camp.
(b) He uses his shield to protect another soldier from a rain of arrows.
(c) He shoots Remulus through the head with an arrow.
(d) He fights Turnus with an ax.
7. Who is Aeneas mourning at the beginning of Book XI?
8. What false portent does Juturna send the Rutulians?
(a) A crown of flame that encircles Turnus' head.
(b) Jupiter's golden bird chased off by a group of smaller birds working together after it tries to take a swan.
(c) A horde of snakes that drive the Rutulians closer to the Trojans.
(d) Flashes of lightning that spell out Turnus' name in the sky.
9. What does King Latinus propose to give to the Trojans?
(a) Chests of treasure.
(b) Turnus' head on a spear.
(c) A region of land to settle or ships in which to depart.
(d) The battle of a lifetime.
10. Which of the following is NOT something Vulcan and the Cyclops crafted?
(a) A helmet for Apollo.
(b) An aegis for Pallas.
(c) A chariot for Mars.
(d) A lightning bolt for Jupiter.
11. What does Jupiter tell Hercules is the labor of the brave, since human lifetimes are so short?
(a) To die as soon as possible in battle.
(b) To spend every moment helping the weak.
(c) To make their fame last through great deeds.
(d) To make sacrifices to all the gods.
12. What portent announces the arrival of Venus with Aeneas' new armor?
(a) Flashing lightning and a thunder crack.
(b) A tongue of fire.
(c) A gentle breeze.
(d) A flock of doves.
13. Which of the following is NOT one of the examples that Venus lists of ways that Juno ignored Jupiter's will and tried to form new destinies for men?
(a) She asked Vulcan to craft a special shield.
(b) She used Allecto to stir up a frenzy.
(c) She used Iris as a helper.
(d) She caused the women to burn the Trojans' ships on Eryx's shore.
14. What does Venus use to convince her husband Vulcan to make armor for Aeneas?
(a) Cool reason.
(b) Threats of Jupiter's anger.
(c) The flame of love.
15. What is one of Juno's arguments for why it was right for her to have helped the Rutulians?
(a) Other gods helped Aeneas by spiriting him to safety and turning his ships into nymphs.
(b) The Rutulians are fated to rule, and she is just helping them fulfill that fate.
(c) The Rutulians made all the right sacrifices to her.
(d) She is spending an equal amount of time helping Aeneas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ilioneus ask for from King Latinus?
2. Who does Evander plan to use as Aeneas' new army?
3. How does Juturna cause unrest in the ranks of the Rutulians?
4. What reason does Latinus give to Turnus for why the Rutulians got involved in bloody wars with the Trojans?
5. Who does Venus want to keep safe by removing him or her from the war between the Trojans and Latins?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)