|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had Jupiter forbidden to happen?
(a) Italy and the Trojans to go to war with each other.
(b) The Trojans to hole up in their camp.
(c) Aeneas to ally with the Arcadians.
(d) Lavinia and Aeneas to marry.
2. How does Nisus die?
(a) He is killed by Volcens' men while killing Volcens for killing Euryalus.
(b) He is ripped apart while Volcens' men are retrieving the booty he stole from the Rutulian camp.
(c) He is attacked by the Furies.
(d) He is struck down by Jupiter.
3. What does Juno plan to do in Book VII to stop Aeneas from ruling Italy?
(a) She will delay the wedding with Lavinia and destroy both peoples.
(b) She will spirit Aeneas away to another land.
(c) She will enlist Apollo's aid in frightening Aeneas away.
(d) She will bring down a plague on Latium until Aeneas leaves.
4. What does Jupiter tell Hercules is the labor of the brave, since human lifetimes are so short?
(a) To die as soon as possible in battle.
(b) To spend every moment helping the weak.
(c) To make sacrifices to all the gods.
(d) To make their fame last through great deeds.
5. What does Aeneas say will happen to the Trojans if he loses his fight with Turnus?
(a) They will renew the fight and claim the land that is rightfully theirs.
(b) They will go live with Evander and the Arcadians.
(c) They will rejoin the rest of the Trojans living with Acestës.
(d) They will be slaughtered to the last man by Turnus.
6. Which of the following is NOT one of the examples that Venus lists of ways that Juno ignored Jupiter's will and tried to form new destinies for men?
(a) She used Allecto to stir up a frenzy.
(b) She caused the women to burn the Trojans' ships on Eryx's shore.
(c) She asked Vulcan to craft a special shield.
(d) She used Iris as a helper.
7. Evander, unaware, is the founder of which of the following?
(a) The sacred wood of Argiletum.
(b) Rome's great citadel.
(c) The Lupercal grotto.
(d) The first military school in Italy.
8. What mission do Nisus and Euryalus take on?
(a) They intend to go plead with King Latinus to stop the siege.
(b) They intend to find reinforcements.
(c) They intend to abduct Lavinia and bring her back to the Trojan camp.
(d) They intend to go find Aeneas and tell him about the siege.
9. Why does Turnus think he can beat Aeneas in single combat?
(a) Because Juno will fight alongside him.
(b) Because Jupiter has decreed that he will win.
(c) Because Lavinia promises to help him.
(d) Because Venus will not be allowed to intervene.
10. How does Lausus die?
(a) He is cut down by Pallas.
(b) He is killed trying to kill Ascanius.
(c) He takes his father's place in the fight against Aeneas.
(d) He is struck down by the gods for blasphemy.
11. What happens to the Trojans' ships when Turnus tries to burn them?
(a) They are hidden from view in mist by Venus.
(b) At the command of the mother of the gods, Jupiter turns the ships into sea-goddesses and sets them free.
(c) At the request of Venus, Jupiter causes it to rain and put the fire out.
(d) They go up in ashes, trapping the Trojans in Italy.
12. Why does Nisus surrender to the Rutulians?
(a) He wants to betray Aeneas for money.
(b) He wants to save Euryalus.
(c) He is lost in the forest and they are his only hope of finding his way back to his camp.
(d) He hopes to spy on them for Aeneas.
13. What does Aeneas say is the only reason he came to Italy?
(a) Because he promised to aid Evander and the Arcadians.
(b) Because he was fleeing the Greeks.
(c) Because fate gave him this land for settlement.
(d) Because he was invited by King Latinus.
14. Who does Aeneas convince to pledge to fight with him?
(c) The Rutulians.
(d) The Etruscans.
15. What does Virgil do to prepare to talk about the warfare between the Trojans and the Rutulians?
(a) Provides the reader with information about the ancestries of the major warriors.
(b) Calls on the Muse Calliope for help.
(c) Chastizes Allecto for helping Juno start this war.
(d) Blames Juno for the upcoming bloodshed.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does King Latinus welcome the Trojans to Latinum?
2. What does the goddess Circe do to those she enchants?
3. For what purpose does Virgil invoke Erato, the Muse of Desire?
4. What problem does Turnus face when he tries to attack the Trojan camp?
5. Which monsters help Vulcan in his forge?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)