|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Latinus give to Turnus for why the Rutulians got involved in bloody wars with the Trojans?
(a) Latinus went against fate and allowed Lavinia to be promised to Turnus.
(b) Juno meddled in their lives.
(c) The Trojans forced them to defend themselves.
(d) Turnus is an unruly hothead.
2. What is one of Juno's arguments for why it was right for her to have helped the Rutulians?
(a) The Rutulians made all the right sacrifices to her.
(b) The Rutulians are fated to rule, and she is just helping them fulfill that fate.
(c) Other gods helped Aeneas by spiriting him to safety and turning his ships into nymphs.
(d) She is spending an equal amount of time helping Aeneas.
3. What did the god Saturn give the first people in Latinum to start their civilization?
(b) A special shield.
(d) Musical instruments.
4. What does Drancës call on Turnus to do?
(a) Go into exile.
(b) Relinquish his claim to Lavinia and meet Aeneas in single combat.
(c) Surrender himself as Aeneas' prisoner.
(d) Pay Lavinia's ransom.
5. For what purpose does Virgil invoke Erato, the Muse of Desire?
(a) To help him talk about how Aeneas still mourned for Dido.
(b) To help him retell the history of the early kings of Latium.
(c) To help him woo the goddess Venus.
(d) To help him describe the goddess Circe.
6. What does Jupiter tell Hercules is the labor of the brave, since human lifetimes are so short?
(a) To die as soon as possible in battle.
(b) To make their fame last through great deeds.
(c) To spend every moment helping the weak.
(d) To make sacrifices to all the gods.
7. Who slays Arruns?
8. Who does the queen of Latium want her daughter to marry?
9. What does the feast the Arcadians are having celebrate?
(a) When Dardandus left to found Troy.
(b) When Hercules slew the beast Cacus.
(c) The anniversary of Evander becoming king.
(d) When the Arcadians defeated the Latins in battle.
10. What does King Latinus propose to give to the Trojans?
(a) Chests of treasure.
(b) Turnus' head on a spear.
(c) The battle of a lifetime.
(d) A region of land to settle or ships in which to depart.
11. Who does Evander plan to use as Aeneas' new army?
(a) The Rutulians.
(b) The Spartans.
(c) The Etruscans.
(d) The Ithacans.
12. To which goddess is Camilla dedicated?
13. What does Venus use to convince her husband Vulcan to make armor for Aeneas?
(b) Threats of Jupiter's anger.
(c) Cool reason.
(d) The flame of love.
14. Which of the following is NOT something Vulcan and the Cyclops crafted?
(a) An aegis for Pallas.
(b) A lightning bolt for Jupiter.
(c) A helmet for Apollo.
(d) A chariot for Mars.
15. What do seers say it means when Lavinia's hair glows with divine fire?
(a) That she is destined to become the next Sibyl.
(b) That she be taken up to Olympus to wed a god.
(c) That she will be famous and receive glory, but also bring war on her people.
(d) That she will die by fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mission do Nisus and Euryalus take on?
2. What happens to the Trojans' ships when Turnus tries to burn them?
3. Why does Aeneas trust he can approach Evander safely as a supplicant?
4. How does Arruns kill Camilla?
5. Who fills Tarchon with anger so that he will fight and lead his warriors better?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)