|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who appears to Aeneas in a dream to tell him where to find people willing to ally themselves with the Trojans against the Latins?
(a) Allecto, who hopes to lead him astray.
(b) Venus, to help her son.
(c) Anchises, to confirm for Aeneas that he is in the right place.
(d) Tiberinus, the river god of the Tiber.
2. Why does Nisus surrender to the Rutulians?
(a) He is lost in the forest and they are his only hope of finding his way back to his camp.
(b) He wants to betray Aeneas for money.
(c) He hopes to spy on them for Aeneas.
(d) He wants to save Euryalus.
3. What had Jupiter forbidden to happen?
(a) Italy and the Trojans to go to war with each other.
(b) Aeneas to ally with the Arcadians.
(c) Lavinia and Aeneas to marry.
(d) The Trojans to hole up in their camp.
4. What does Ilioneus ask for from King Latinus?
(a) Lumber and sails to repair their ships.
(b) Food and supplies to send to the Trojans left behind with Acestës.
(c) A modest piece of land on the coast where the Trojans can settle.
(d) Soldiers and weapons to seek revenge on the Greeks.
5. Why does Juno craft a phantom Aeneas and lure Turnus onto a departing boat?
(a) To keep him from dying in the fight.
(b) To spirit him away to a temple to become a priest for her.
(c) To remove the Rutulian leader so Aeneas' soldiers can win the battle.
(d) To let another Rutulian have a chance to lead.
6. How is Queen Amata turned thoroughly against the idea of Aeneas marrying her daughter Lavinia?
(a) The goddess Venus influences her to save Aeneas for another bride.
(b) The goddess Allecto attaches a snake to her that poisons her mind.
(c) One of Aeneas' followers tells her the story of how he treated Dido.
(d) The goddess Juno threatens her with destruction if she allows the wedding to take place.
7. Who does the queen of Latium want her daughter to marry?
8. What does Venus use to convince her husband Vulcan to make armor for Aeneas?
(b) The flame of love.
(c) Cool reason.
(d) Threats of Jupiter's anger.
9. Why do the Trojans and the Latins call a twelve-day truce?
(a) So they can bury their dead properly.
(b) So they can prepare for the wedding of Lavinia and Aeneas.
(c) Because the gods demand it.
(d) Because a plague has broken out on both sides.
10. What happens to the Trojans' ships when Turnus tries to burn them?
(a) At the command of the mother of the gods, Jupiter turns the ships into sea-goddesses and sets them free.
(b) They are hidden from view in mist by Venus.
(c) At the request of Venus, Jupiter causes it to rain and put the fire out.
(d) They go up in ashes, trapping the Trojans in Italy.
11. Which of the following is NOT something Vulcan and the Cyclops crafted?
(a) A chariot for Mars.
(b) A helmet for Apollo.
(c) A lightning bolt for Jupiter.
(d) An aegis for Pallas.
12. Who kills Pallas?
13. What does Jupiter promise Juno about the Latin folk?
(a) They will be allowed to leave the land freely.
(b) They will be allowed to keep their language and way of life.
(c) They will adopt all Trojan customs and ways.
(d) They will win the day and turn the Trojans from their land.
14. Who is Aeneas mourning at the beginning of Book XI?
15. What do seers say it means when Lavinia's hair glows with divine fire?
(a) That she be taken up to Olympus to wed a god.
(b) That she will die by fire.
(c) That she is destined to become the next Sibyl.
(d) That she will be famous and receive glory, but also bring war on her people.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whose funeral does Book VII open?
2. Why does Aeneas trust he can approach Evander safely as a supplicant?
3. Who does Aeneas convince to pledge to fight with him?
4. What does Jupiter tell Hercules is the labor of the brave, since human lifetimes are so short?
5. How does Turnus' acceptance of the challenge to fight in single combat make Aeneas feel?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)