Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the moderator of the debate between Lincoln and Douglas?
2. What is it that the visitors to Lincoln's home in Act 3, Scene 10 want to talk about with him?
3. Who is fetching water for Seth Gale's sick son in Act 2, Scene 7?
4. What are Lincoln's visitors really looking for in their candidate for President?
5. How does Lincoln conclude his prayer for the health of Jimmy Gale?
Essay Topic 1
The basic form of drama is often defined as a character with a goal, faced with an obstacle to achieving that goal, followed by efforts by the character--helped or hindered by others--to overcome the obstacles and achieve the goal. In the process, the main character often undergoes an emotional or mental change of some sort, or has an insight that allows him/her to succeed. How does the play, Abe Lincoln in Illinois, fit into that skeleton of a dramatic work?
Essay Topic 2
While discussing his political philosophy with those who want him to run for office, Lincoln tells them he is "conservative, all right. If I got into the legislature, you'd never catch me starting any movements for reform or progress." Is the playwright making an ironic observation by giving Lincoln that line? Explain your thinking, yes or no, using examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
Shortly after meeting with Seth Gale and discussing the future of the country with Gale, Lincoln visits Mary Todd at home and they agree to marry. What role did Mary Todd play in Lincoln's successes? Would he have been elected President without her? Support your thesis with examples from the play.
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)