Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the moderator of the debate between Lincoln and Douglas?
2. What is it that the visitors to Lincoln's home in Act 3, Scene 10 want to talk about with him?
3. Who is fetching water for Seth Gale's sick son in Act 2, Scene 7?
4. What are Lincoln's visitors really looking for in their candidate for President?
5. How does Lincoln conclude his prayer for the health of Jimmy Gale?
Essay Topic 1
The basic form of drama is often defined as a character with a goal, faced with an obstacle to achieving that goal, followed by efforts by the character--helped or hindered by others--to overcome the obstacles and achieve the goal. In the process, the main character often undergoes an emotional or mental change of some sort, or has an insight that allows him/her to succeed. How does the play, Abe Lincoln in Illinois, fit into that skeleton of a dramatic work?
Essay Topic 2
In Springfield, Lincoln has a law practice and a reputation as a powerful speaker. He has been invited to address the Elijah P. Lovejoy League of Freeman on the subject of abolition. Lincoln has been shocked by the sight of chained slaves being taken to market, but he refuses to give a speech to the League. Using examples from the play, explain this apparent contradiction.
Essay Topic 3
If one of the themes of the play is Lincoln's duty to serve his country, how does the playwright use symbols throughout the play to reinforce that theme?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)