|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many candidates are seeking the presidency?
2. What does Seth Gale's wife want for her sick son, besides the help of a doctor?
3. What song does the band play as Lincoln departs?
4. What are the issues on Lincoln's mind as he addresses the crowd?
5. Seth Gale tells Abe he's feeling "pretty scared" about his son's health. What does Lincoln tell him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If one of the themes of the play is Lincoln's duty to serve his country, how does the playwright use symbols throughout the play to reinforce that theme?
Essay Topic 2
Ben Mattling, the hard-drinking Revolutionary War veteran in Rutledge's Tavern, tells Lincoln to stay out of politics: "You have no place in that den of thieves that's called government," he says. What is going on in the country (as described or implied in the play) that has so enraged Mattling about government? Why does he think Lincoln is unsuited for elected office?
Essay Topic 3
Mentor Graham, Lincoln's teacher, is discussing the imperative mood. He points out that an imperative is not always a direct or even obvious command, and he has Lincoln read a newspaper account of a speech by Daniel Webster to the U.S. Senate. What is the topic of the speech and what is it that Webster is asking of the Senate? Explain how you know that Webster is using the imperative.
This section contains 1,617 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)