|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3, Scene 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Ninian Edwards?
(a) Son of the Illinois governor.
(b) A merchant passing through New Salem.
(c) Josh Speed's stepbrother.
(d) Uncle of Elizabeth Edwards.
2. What is it about politics that Lincoln dislikes?
(a) If elected, a man has to move to the city.
(b) If he loses, a man will be left with many debts.
(c) If elected, a man is likely to be shot.
(d) If not elected, a man will be ashamed in his own community.
3. What is Billy Herndon's reaction to Lincoln's reasons for breaking off the engagement?
(a) Herndon agrees that Mary Todd is a witch and says he's glad Lincoln changed his mind.
(b) He is gobsmacked, but he helps Lincoln write another letter.
(c) Herndon says Lincoln is really trying to escape his own failure to serve the country.
(d) He is stunned and speechless. He finishes off the bottle in his pocket.
4. What state delivers the final votes needed for Lincoln's victory?
(d) New York.
5. What is Billy Herndon's attitude toward Mary Todd on the day Lincoln is to be married?
(a) Herndon likes Mary Todd, but feels it will be a mistake for her to goad Lincoln into politics.
(b) Herndon doesn't like Mary Todd, but he likes her ambitions for Lincoln.
(c) He is opposed to the marriage because he's heard bad things about Mary Todd's temper.
(d) He is too drunk to really care, but he makes an insincere toast to the couple's happiness.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the playwright describe the appearance of Stephen Douglas as he takes the stage to debate Lincoln?
2. What does Lincoln's companion think of Lincoln's plan for his wedding?
3. Who wrote the poem that Lincoln's teacher gives him to read?
4. What does Mary Todd's sister predict if she marries Lincoln?
5. What is the wedding gift Ninian has brought Abe?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)