|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3, Scene 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a benefit of being in the state capitol that might entice Lincoln to run for office?
(a) He will be able to collect extra money by doing favors for friends.
(b) The opportunity to learn from the finest lawyers in the state.
(c) Women will seek him out for marriage.
(d) The chance to have suits made that will have sleeves that are long enough for his arms.
2. Who is the moderator of the debate between Lincoln and Douglas?
(a) Bowling Green.
(b) Ninian Edwards.
(c) Whoopi Goldberg.
(d) Elizabeth Edwards.
3. What institution does Douglas use to bolster his argument that negroes are not equal under the Constitution?
(a) The American Civil Liberties Union.
(b) The Catholic Church.
(c) The National Rifle Association.
(d) The Supreme Court.
4. How does Mary Todd accept Lincoln's proposal at the end of Act 2, Scene 8?
(a) She dances happily into his arms and pulls his beard while saying yes.
(b) She bursts into tears and says she must marry him because he has ruined her reputation.
(c) She clutches him tightly, declares her undying love and begins sobbing.
(d) She appears to hesitate, keeping him wondering for a moment if she will accept.
5. Ninian Andrews arrives at Lincoln's office and learns about a sad event. What is it?
(a) Lincoln's dog, Rufus, has been killed in a hunting mishap.
(b) The death of Lincoln's friend, Bowling Green.
(c) Jack Armstrong is in jail for murder.
(d) Seth Gale's mother is dead of malaria.
Short Answer Questions
1. What university does Lincoln's oldest son attend?
2. Why does Lincoln return to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
3. What is Lincoln's response to a poem he reads regarding life and death?
4. How does Lincoln surprise Ann Rutledge while she is clearing tables during Act 1, Scene 2?
5. When Act 2, Scene 4 opens in Lincoln's Springfield law office, how much time has passed since the death of Ann Rutledge?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)