|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3, Scene 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it about politics that Lincoln dislikes?
(a) If he loses, a man will be left with many debts.
(b) If elected, a man has to move to the city.
(c) If elected, a man is likely to be shot.
(d) If not elected, a man will be ashamed in his own community.
2. What is Mary Todd's mood when she finds out--at the last minute--that important men are coming to talk to her husband?
3. Who admits being the one who suggested recruiting Lincoln to run for office?
(a) Josh Speed.
(b) Seth Gale.
(c) Jack Armstrong.
(d) Ann Rutledge.
4. Why has Lincoln come to see Mary Todd in Act 2, Scene 8?
(a) He has come to apologize for breaking their engagement.
(b) He has come to give word of his engagement to another woman.
(c) He has hopes she will revive his political career.
(d) He has come for dinner, at the invitation of her brother-in-law.
5. In Act 2, Scene 7, what is the fear Seth Gale has about traveling with Gobey?
(a) He believes Gobey is planning to escape on the Underground Railroad.
(b) He's afraid to take Gobey across state borders because he doesn't have a passport.
(c) He's careful to stay in free territory to avoid Gobey being kidnapped and sold into slavery.
(d) He's fearful Gobey's previous owner will appear to reclaim him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What opinion does Elizabeth Edwards have of Abe Lincoln?
2. At the end of Scene 2, Act 8, what is Lincoln's response to Mary's actions?
3. In the debate, Lincoln accuses Douglas of pandering to both sides of the slavery issue. What does he mean?
4. What happens to Ann Rutledge?
5. What is Lincoln's new attitude toward God after Ann's death?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)