|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3, Scene 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What legal case established that slaves should be considered property?
(a) Brown v. Board of Education.
(b) The Slaughterhouse Cases.
(c) Dred Scott v. Sandford.
(d) Marbury v. Madison.
2. How is Lincoln's appearance different from Election Day?
(a) He has shaved his head.
(b) He is walking with a cane.
(c) He has a beard.
(d) There is a patch over one eye.
3. Besides debt, what topic often occupies Lincoln's mind?
(a) The prospect of a harsh winter.
(b) The prospect of marriage.
(c) The prospect of death.
(d) The prospect of civil war.
4. What excuse does Ninian Edwards give for getting himself and his wife out of the parlor so Lincoln can be alone with Mary Todd?
(a) He feigns an injury and asks his wife to help him upstairs.
(b) The two have to hear their children's bedtime prayers.
(c) He doesn't give an excuse, just grabs his wife's arm and hustles her off stage.
(d) He takes his wife dancing.
5. What is the true reason Lincoln wants to end the engagement with Mary Todd?
(a) He knows he is losing his mind and wants to spare her from sharing his pain.
(b) He believes she really wants to marry Stephen Douglas.
(c) He hates her ambitions for him and doesn't want to be driven to achieve her goals for the rest of his life.
(d) She has taken to wearing spurs and brandishing a whip when they are alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the red flags mean in the map of states in Lincoln's campaign headquarters?
2. What does Lincoln ask Mary Todd in Act 2, Scene 8?
3. What happens at the end of Act 2, Scene 4 that proves Lincoln's claim that he is a social success?
4. What is Lincoln's response to a poem he reads regarding life and death?
5. Ninian Andrews arrives at Lincoln's office and learns about a sad event. What is it?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)