|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3, Scene 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who, in Lincoln's headquarters, is the most anxious about the voting returns?
(a) Ninian Edwards.
(b) Mary Todd Lincoln.
(c) Josh Speed.
(d) Robert Lincoln.
2. What is Lincoln's attitude about people before he meets Ann Rutledge?
(a) All people are to a degree insane, but that shouldn't stop one from getting close to them.
(b) Getting close to others is the best antidote in the world to loneliness.
(c) The best thing is to take a vow of silence in order not to be bothered by fools.
(d) It's best not to get too close to people; they see the insanity behind the surface.
3. What excuse does Ninian Edwards give for getting himself and his wife out of the parlor so Lincoln can be alone with Mary Todd?
(a) He takes his wife dancing.
(b) The two have to hear their children's bedtime prayers.
(c) He doesn't give an excuse, just grabs his wife's arm and hustles her off stage.
(d) He feigns an injury and asks his wife to help him upstairs.
4. How does Mary Todd accept Lincoln's proposal at the end of Act 2, Scene 8?
(a) She appears to hesitate, keeping him wondering for a moment if she will accept.
(b) She dances happily into his arms and pulls his beard while saying yes.
(c) She bursts into tears and says she must marry him because he has ruined her reputation.
(d) She clutches him tightly, declares her undying love and begins sobbing.
5. What does Mary Todd say when asked in Act. 2, Scene 5, if she is considering marriage to Lincoln?
(a) "I have decided I shall be Mrs. Lincoln."
(b) "That is the most repulsive idea I've ever heard."
(c) "I have never given that idea a moment's thought."
(d) "I am determined to marry Stephen Douglas."
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Lincoln come to see Mary Todd in Act 2, Scene 8?
2. What is the name of Seth Gale's young son?
3. Lincoln tells Josh Speed to give his letter for Mary Todd to Herndon to deliver. How does Josh respond?
4. What reason does Lincoln give in Act 2, Scene 4 for turning down the opportunity to speak against slavery?
5. How does the playwright describe the appearance of Stephen Douglas as he takes the stage to debate Lincoln?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)