|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3, Scene 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Billy Herndon's flaw?
(a) He is a womanizer.
(b) He drinks too much and too often.
(c) He kills compulsively.
(d) He cheats at cards.
2. What does Seth Gale suggest might happen if slavery spreads West to new states and territories?
(a) He thinks the Mexicans will attack if slavery spreads.
(b) He predicts settlers will raise an army and declare war.
(c) He says settlers will be satisfied, regardless of the state of slavery.
(d) He says settlers might form another country or move to Canada.
3. How does Mary Todd respond to Lincoln's proposal at the end of Act 2, Scene 5?
(a) She laughs and laughs, then says she'll think it over seriously and get back to him.
(b) She grabs his hands, looks deeply into his eyes and whispers the word "yes."
(c) First she acts surprised, then meekly agrees with a timid "yes."
(d) She doesn't--the scene ends with the lights fading before he pops the question.
4. Who is Lincoln's main rival for the presidency?
(a) Uriah Heep.
(b) Andrew Jackson.
(c) William Herndon.
(d) Stephen Douglas.
5. How does Lincoln frequently begin a sentence after his election?
(a) "As I live and breath..."
(b) "Funnily enough..."
(c) "If I live..."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lincoln's companion think of Lincoln's plan for his wedding?
2. In a poem given to Lincoln by his teacher in the first scene, life is compared to what?
3. What is Billy Herndon's attitude toward Mary Todd on the day Lincoln is to be married?
4. How does Lincoln jokingly describe, in Act 2, Scene 5, the act of defending a murder suspect?
5. In Scene 2, Act 4, what office is Lincoln seeking?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)