|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3, Scene 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mary Todd characterize the life her sister and brother-in-law have chosen?
(a) She says they live fearful lives, surrounded by fences designed to keep the world at arm's length.
(b) She calls them reckless and irresponsible because they have invested in too many rental properties.
(c) She says they live in a house with fences, not to keep others out, but to keep themselves from escaping their own narrow lives.
(d) She recognizes their lives are adventurous, with no boundaries.
2. What is Mary Todd's mood when she finds out--at the last minute--that important men are coming to talk to her husband?
3. What is Billy Herndon's reaction to Lincoln's reasons for breaking off the engagement?
(a) He is gobsmacked, but he helps Lincoln write another letter.
(b) He is stunned and speechless. He finishes off the bottle in his pocket.
(c) Herndon says Lincoln is really trying to escape his own failure to serve the country.
(d) Herndon agrees that Mary Todd is a witch and says he's glad Lincoln changed his mind.
4. When Lincoln leaves the parlor for a moment, how does one of his visitors in Act 3, Scene 9 describe him?
(a) A lawyer as crooked as a dog's hind leg.
(b) One of the most astute politicians who ever emerged from a backwoods log cabin.
(c) One of the smoothest, slickest politicians that ever hoodwinked a yokel mob.
(d) A demagogue who could play the ringmaster in a Barnum and Bailey Circus.
5. How does Mary Todd describe Lincoln's behavior and absence over the previous two years?
(c) A psychotic break.
(d) A severe illness.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mary Todd describe her part in the break-up of the engagement to Lincoln?
2. Where does Seth Gale intend to settle his family?
3. Who is President during the time represented in Act 2, Scene 4?
4. What does Lincoln's teacher suggest Lincoln do to improve his life?
5. What does Lincoln do with his notes before he begins speaking in the debate with Douglas?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)