|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3, Scene 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting of Act 2, Scene 5 and what does it convey about the occupants?
(a) The setting is the parlor of Ninian Edwards' home and it conveys a comfortable upper-class life.
(b) The setting is Lincoln's log cabin and it conveys a feeling of bachelor solitude.
(c) The setting is a grand ballroom and it conveys the gala celebration of political victory.
(d) The setting is Ninian Edwards' home and it conveys a sense of genteel poverty.
2. What is Bowling Green's attitude toward the possibility of Lincoln marrying Ann Rutledge?
(a) He is against the marriage; he knows Ann has been seeing someone else.
(b) Judge Green is against it; he thinks Ann will be a hindrance to Lincoln.
(c) He's all for the marriage; he thinks Ann will keep Lincoln on track.
(d) He's for the marriage; Ann's family has a lot of money to spend on campaigns.
3. What does Lincoln's teacher suggest Lincoln do to improve his life?
(a) Get a law degree.
(b) Find a woman to marry.
(c) Move out of town.
(d) Consider becoming a minister.
4. To which of Shakespeare's characters does Douglas compare Lincoln?
5. What is Lincoln's new attitude toward God after Ann's death?
(a) He becomes an atheist.
(b) He knows if he had prayed day and night, Ann would have lived.
(c) He can't pray to a God that needlessly allowed Ann to die.
(d) He accepts that "the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the "good joke" Lincoln plans to tell Bowling Green at the end of Act 1, Scene 2 in the Rutledge Tavern?
2. What legal case established that slaves should be considered property?
3. What is the mood of the speech Lincoln is asked to read in the first scene?
4. What is a benefit of being in the state capitol that might entice Lincoln to run for office?
5. What opinion does Elizabeth Edwards have of Abe Lincoln?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)