|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3, Scene 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One of Lincoln's clients can't pay her bill; why does Lincoln think she is right not to pay?
(a) She is a poor widow and Lincoln doesn't take money from widows.
(b) Lincoln defended her husband unsuccessfully and he was hanged.
(c) Lincoln took a horse from her late husband in payment.
(d) He believes she is going to inherit a lot of money, so he can wait for payment.
2. What is Billy Herndon's attitude toward Mary Todd on the day Lincoln is to be married?
(a) Herndon likes Mary Todd, but feels it will be a mistake for her to goad Lincoln into politics.
(b) He is opposed to the marriage because he's heard bad things about Mary Todd's temper.
(c) Herndon doesn't like Mary Todd, but he likes her ambitions for Lincoln.
(d) He is too drunk to really care, but he makes an insincere toast to the couple's happiness.
3. Why has Lincoln come to see Mary Todd in Act 2, Scene 8?
(a) He has come for dinner, at the invitation of her brother-in-law.
(b) He has hopes she will revive his political career.
(c) He has come to apologize for breaking their engagement.
(d) He has come to give word of his engagement to another woman.
4. In Act 2, Scene 6, Lincoln sits at his desk on the day he is to be married. What day of the year is it?
(a) The Fourth of July.
(b) Christmas Day.
(c) Thanksgiving Day.
(d) New Year's Day.
5. What does Lincoln see on the boat from Quincy to Alton that shocks him?
(a) A dozen negroes, chained together, being shipped South to be sold.
(b) A dozen mules on shore, chained and being flogged.
(c) A woman with 12 children, begging for food.
(d) A dozen dancing girls, chained together, forced to entertain passengers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lincoln feel after Ann's death?
2. What are three things Lincoln likes about Ann Rutledge?
3. Who is Lincoln's main rival for the presidency?
4. Douglas accuses Lincoln of having sympathy for slaves but no sympathy for another suffering group of people. Who are they?
5. What has Mary Todd been doing while Lincoln entertains his guests?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)