|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3, Scene 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Josh, how is Lincoln doing in the State Assembly?
(a) Not well; he sits and draws his three dollars a day without paying attention.
(b) Fabulously well; he's shown himself to be a natural leader.
(c) Great; he's getting kickbacks for legislation he sponsors.
(d) Not well; he's been rabble-rousing with speeches against slavery.
2. What is the true reason Lincoln wants to end the engagement with Mary Todd?
(a) He hates her ambitions for him and doesn't want to be driven to achieve her goals for the rest of his life.
(b) She has taken to wearing spurs and brandishing a whip when they are alone.
(c) He believes she really wants to marry Stephen Douglas.
(d) He knows he is losing his mind and wants to spare her from sharing his pain.
3. What is Lincoln's new attitude toward God after Ann's death?
(a) He becomes an atheist.
(b) He knows if he had prayed day and night, Ann would have lived.
(c) He accepts that "the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away."
(d) He can't pray to a God that needlessly allowed Ann to die.
4. What has Mary Todd been doing while Lincoln entertains his guests?
(a) Listening at the door.
(b) Throwing a tantrum.
(c) Making tea.
(d) Hemming a dress.
5. What is Billy Herndon's attitude toward Mary Todd on the day Lincoln is to be married?
(a) Herndon likes Mary Todd, but feels it will be a mistake for her to goad Lincoln into politics.
(b) He is too drunk to really care, but he makes an insincere toast to the couple's happiness.
(c) Herndon doesn't like Mary Todd, but he likes her ambitions for Lincoln.
(d) He is opposed to the marriage because he's heard bad things about Mary Todd's temper.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the main characters in the first scene of the play?
2. What excuse does Ninian Edwards give for getting himself and his wife out of the parlor so Lincoln can be alone with Mary Todd?
3. What do Josh Speed and Bowling Green think might be the result, if slavery spreads further across the South?
4. Ninian Andrews arrives at Lincoln's office and learns about a sad event. What is it?
5. How many states are there on Election Day, 1860?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)