|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3, Scene 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After 18 years of marriage to Lincoln, what is it that Mary Todd is bitter about?
(a) Lincoln spends too much time reading and not enough attention to her.
(b) Lincoln still isn't politically ambitious enough to suit her.
(c) Lincoln chain smokes all over the house.
(d) Lincoln habitually puts his muddy boots on expensive furnishings.
2. How does Lincoln define his "own great duty?"
(a) His duty is to defend the Constitution to the best of his understanding.
(b) He doesn't know what it is and he's tired of people nagging him about it.
(c) He needs to go West and seize California from the Mexican government.
(d) His duty is to mind his own business and he doesn't care what other people think.
3. What is the setting of the first scene of Abe Lincoln in Illinois?
(a) A log cabin in the woods of Missouri.
(b) A cabin near New Salem, Illionois, which belongs to Lincoln's teacher.
(c) A riverboat on the mighty Mississippi.
(d) A tavern in Springfield.
4. What is Billy Herndon's flaw?
(a) He cheats at cards.
(b) He kills compulsively.
(c) He drinks too much and too often.
(d) He is a womanizer.
5. In Scene 2, Act 4, what office is Lincoln seeking?
(a) President of the United States.
(b) President of the Springfield School Board.
(c) Member of the Electoral College.
(d) Springfield's combined office of dogcatcher and postmaster.
Short Answer Questions
1. Seth Gale tells Abe he's feeling "pretty scared" about his son's health. What does Lincoln tell him?
2. Besides debt, what topic often occupies Lincoln's mind?
3. How is the crowd outside receiving voting results?
4. What do the red flags mean in the map of states in Lincoln's campaign headquarters?
5. What is Lincoln doing as he waits for the voting results?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)