|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3, Scene 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Mary's first words to Abe when he arrives after a two-year absence?
(a) "You should be ashamed of yourself, Mr. Lincoln."
(b) "Mr. Lincoln, you are not my idea of a good man."
(c) "I'm glad to see you again, Mr. Lincoln."
(d) "I always knew you would return to me, Abe."
2. What is Billy Herndon's flaw?
(a) He kills compulsively.
(b) He cheats at cards.
(c) He is a womanizer.
(d) He drinks too much and too often.
3. Who is President of the United States at the time Edwards visits New Salem to meet Lincoln?
(a) Alexander Hamilton.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) John Glenn.
(d) Andrew Jackson.
4. What is the "good joke" Lincoln plans to tell Bowling Green at the end of Act 1, Scene 2 in the Rutledge Tavern?
(a) That Jack Armstrong, of the Clancy Groves boys, will run for the State Assembly.
(b) That a chicken crossed the road to get to the other side.
(c) That Ann Rutledge has run off to marry Josh Speed.
(d) That he will be a candidate for the assembly of the State of Illinois.
5. How many candidates are seeking the presidency?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Abe Lincoln staying while in New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. Why does Bowling Green call Lincoln "an artful dodger" in Act 2, Scene 4?
3. What is the true reason Lincoln wants to end the engagement with Mary Todd?
4. Lincoln says he has come to believe something about himself and Mary. What is it?
5. What does Mary Todd tell her brother-in-law when he asks why she has chosen him as a husband?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)