|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3, Scene 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Billy Herndon, Lincoln's law clerk, arrives in Act 2, Scene 6. What is his condition?
(a) He's debilitated by swamp fever.
(b) He has quit drinking and is sober.
(c) He's suffering from an early case of swine flu.
(d) He's drunk, as usual.
2. What is Lincoln considering as his first act as president?
(a) Freeing the slaves.
(b) Growing a beard.
(c) Annexing Texas.
(d) Abolishing the Supreme Court.
3. What do Josh Speed and Bowling Green think might be the result, if slavery spreads further across the South?
(a) Civil war might break out.
(b) The South could overthrow the existing government and move the Capitol to Virginia.
(c) The British would reassert power over the colonies.
(d) Lincoln could be drafted to head the military.
4. How much would Lincoln be paid as a member of the legislature?
(a) $3 a day.
(b) $5 a day.
(c) Nothing, it's a volunteer job.
(d) $2.50 a day.
5. What is it about politics that Lincoln dislikes?
(a) If elected, a man is likely to be shot.
(b) If he loses, a man will be left with many debts.
(c) If not elected, a man will be ashamed in his own community.
(d) If elected, a man has to move to the city.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mary Todd accept Lincoln's proposal at the end of Act 2, Scene 8?
2. What is Lincoln studying in the opening scene?
3. How does the playwright describe the appearance of Stephen Douglas as he takes the stage to debate Lincoln?
4. What are Mary's first words to Abe when he arrives after a two-year absence?
5. Who is President during the time represented in Act 2, Scene 4?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)