|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the wedding gift Ninian has brought Abe?
(a) A silver box of fine cigars.
(b) A slave.
(c) A stovepipe hat that will become Lincon's signature.
(d) A fine, silver-headed cane.
2. What is the true reason Lincoln wants to end the engagement with Mary Todd?
(a) He believes she really wants to marry Stephen Douglas.
(b) He hates her ambitions for him and doesn't want to be driven to achieve her goals for the rest of his life.
(c) He knows he is losing his mind and wants to spare her from sharing his pain.
(d) She has taken to wearing spurs and brandishing a whip when they are alone.
3. Why is Ann's death such a setback to Lincoln?
(a) He depended on Ann's connections to the politically powerful in Washington.
(b) He doesn't feel he will be taken seriously as a candidate if he is single.
(c) Ann wrote his speeches; without her, he has nothing to say.
(d) He fears any woman who loves him is doomed to an early death, like his mother.
4. What is Billy Herndon's attitude toward Mary Todd on the day Lincoln is to be married?
(a) Herndon doesn't like Mary Todd, but he likes her ambitions for Lincoln.
(b) He is too drunk to really care, but he makes an insincere toast to the couple's happiness.
(c) He is opposed to the marriage because he's heard bad things about Mary Todd's temper.
(d) Herndon likes Mary Todd, but feels it will be a mistake for her to goad Lincoln into politics.
5. Billy Herndon, Lincoln's law clerk, arrives in Act 2, Scene 6. What is his condition?
(a) He has quit drinking and is sober.
(b) He's drunk, as usual.
(c) He's debilitated by swamp fever.
(d) He's suffering from an early case of swine flu.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lincoln surprise Ann Rutledge while she is clearing tables during Act 1, Scene 2?
2. Why can't Lincoln bring himself to shoot a deer?
3. According to Josh, how is Lincoln doing in the State Assembly?
4. Why does Lincoln return to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
5. In Scene 2, Act 4, what office is Lincoln seeking?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)