|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Elizabeth Edwards?
(a) The wife of a one-time presidential candidate.
(b) The woman Abe Lincoln loves and wants to marry.
(c) Mary Todd's sister and Ninian Edwards' wife.
(d) The author of two memoirs.
2. What happens at the end of Act 2, Scene 4 that proves Lincoln's claim that he is a social success?
(a) Josh Speed introduces Lincoln to his sister.
(b) Mary Todd sends Lincoln a thank-you note for a pleasant evening the previous week.
(c) Ninian Edwards invites Lincoln home for dinner.
(d) Nancy Green accepts a job as his social secretary to keep track of his dates.
3. How does Act 1, Scene 3, in which Ann Rutledge dies, come to an end?
(a) The scene ends with a prayer spoken by Nancy Green.
(b) The scene ends when Lincoln stumbles offstage, leaving his friends worried about his fate.
(c) The scene concludes with Lincoln on his knees in the attic, sobbing.
(d) The scene ends with only a beam of light from Abe's attic illuminating the stage.
4. What does Lincoln do at the end of Act 2, Scene 6?
(a) He decides he must go through with the wedding.
(b) He writes another letter, telling Mary Todd he hates her.
(c) He leaves to break off his engagement in person.
(d) He leaves town without informing Mary Todd.
5. What is Lincoln's attitude about people before he meets Ann Rutledge?
(a) The best thing is to take a vow of silence in order not to be bothered by fools.
(b) It's best not to get too close to people; they see the insanity behind the surface.
(c) All people are to a degree insane, but that shouldn't stop one from getting close to them.
(d) Getting close to others is the best antidote in the world to loneliness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject of the speech Lincoln is studying in the first scene?
2. Billy Herndon, Lincoln's law clerk, arrives in Act 2, Scene 6. What is his condition?
3. What is Mary Todd's lifelong dream for herself?
4. What is the local gossip in New Salem about Ann Rutledge?
5. What is Billy Herndon's flaw?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)