|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lincoln see on the boat from Quincy to Alton that shocks him?
(a) A dozen mules on shore, chained and being flogged.
(b) A woman with 12 children, begging for food.
(c) A dozen dancing girls, chained together, forced to entertain passengers.
(d) A dozen negroes, chained together, being shipped South to be sold.
2. What do Josh Speed and Bowling Green think might be the result, if slavery spreads further across the South?
(a) The South could overthrow the existing government and move the Capitol to Virginia.
(b) The British would reassert power over the colonies.
(c) Civil war might break out.
(d) Lincoln could be drafted to head the military.
3. In a poem given to Lincoln by his teacher in the first scene, life is compared to what?
(a) A fairy tale, a legend, a lie.
(b) A dream, a vision, a phantom.
(c) A nightmare, a hallucination, a ghost.
(d) A river, a meadow, the wide horizon.
4. How does Lincoln intend to communicate his intentions to Mary Todd?
(a) In an email.
(b) In person.
(c) In a telegram.
(d) In a letter.
5. What organization wants Lincoln to give a speech?
(a) The Democratic Party of Quincy, Ill.
(b) The AFL-CIO.
(c) The American Civil Liberties Union.
(d) The Elijiah Lovejoy League of Freemen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who admits being the one who suggested recruiting Lincoln to run for office?
2. What is Mary Todd's lifelong dream for herself?
3. What does Lincoln do at the end of Act 2, Scene 6?
4. What is Billy Herndon's reaction to Lincoln's reasons for breaking off the engagement?
5. What are the two professions open to people who fail at everything else, according to Lincoln's teacher?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)