|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Act 1, Scene 3, in which Ann Rutledge dies, come to an end?
(a) The scene concludes with Lincoln on his knees in the attic, sobbing.
(b) The scene ends with only a beam of light from Abe's attic illuminating the stage.
(c) The scene ends with a prayer spoken by Nancy Green.
(d) The scene ends when Lincoln stumbles offstage, leaving his friends worried about his fate.
2. How does Mary Todd respond to Lincoln's proposal at the end of Act 2, Scene 5?
(a) She laughs and laughs, then says she'll think it over seriously and get back to him.
(b) She doesn't--the scene ends with the lights fading before he pops the question.
(c) She grabs his hands, looks deeply into his eyes and whispers the word "yes."
(d) First she acts surprised, then meekly agrees with a timid "yes."
3. What is Billy Herndon's flaw?
(a) He cheats at cards.
(b) He is a womanizer.
(c) He drinks too much and too often.
(d) He kills compulsively.
4. What is the mood of the speech Lincoln is asked to read in the first scene?
5. How does the weather complement Lincoln's mood when he arrives at the home of the Greens' with news of Ann's death?
(a) The weather is as stormy as his mood.
(b) A blizzard settles in, reflecting the cold that has settled in his heart.
(c) The wind howls in agony along with him.
(d) The weather is as clear as his conscience.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ann Rutledge?
2. What is the local gossip in New Salem about Ann Rutledge?
3. What does Ann's love do for Lincoln?
4. What is Billy Herndon's reaction to Lincoln's reasons for breaking off the engagement?
5. What does Lincoln's teacher suggest Lincoln do to improve his life?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)