|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lincoln's teacher suggest Lincoln do to improve his life?
(a) Consider becoming a minister.
(b) Find a woman to marry.
(c) Get a law degree.
(d) Move out of town.
2. How does Lincoln intend to communicate his intentions to Mary Todd?
(a) In person.
(b) In a telegram.
(c) In an email.
(d) In a letter.
3. What opinion does Elizabeth Edwards have of Abe Lincoln?
(a) Compared to other men, he would be at the top of her list of potential husbands.
(b) She calls him elegant, cultivated and likely to be rich some day soon.
(c) She says he has a simple soul and is a most amiable creature, but not suitable as a husband.
(d) She thinks he's divinely good-looking, but shiftless.
4. Who does Lincoln blame for all the political strife in the country?
(a) The British.
(b) The Abolitionists.
(c) The U.S. Army.
(d) The Whigs.
5. What does Mary Todd's sister predict if she marries Lincoln?
(a) A wanderer's life, as Lincoln can't seem to hold a decent job.
(b) A life in a miserable cabin, without servants and without decent clothing.
(c) A life in a quaint cabin, stitching buckskin clothing and raising a passel of children.
(d) A glittering life in the nation's capital, dancing with elegant Europeans.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a poem given to Lincoln by his teacher in the first scene, life is compared to what?
2. Lincoln and Mary Todd are getting married, yet he seems to be in despair. Why?
3. What last ditch effort does Mary Todd's sister make to prevent a proposal from Lincoln toward the end of Act 2, Scene 5?
4. What does Mary Todd say when asked in Act. 2, Scene 5, if she is considering marriage to Lincoln?
5. On which holiday does Act 1, Scene 2 take place?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)