|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Billy Herndon, Lincoln's law clerk, arrives in Act 2, Scene 6. What is his condition?
(a) He has quit drinking and is sober.
(b) He's drunk, as usual.
(c) He's debilitated by swamp fever.
(d) He's suffering from an early case of swine flu.
2. What last ditch effort does Mary Todd's sister make to prevent a proposal from Lincoln toward the end of Act 2, Scene 5?
(a) She produces a fan and uses it to flirt with Lincoln, to show he wouldn't be a faithful husband.
(b) She begs Mary to put the children to bed.
(c) She spills a pot of hot tea on Lincoln's lap.
(d) She begins yelling at her sister, causing Ninian to slap her and drag her from the room.
3. How does Lincoln surprise Ann Rutledge while she is clearing tables during Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) By delivering a package from her fiance.
(b) By declaring his love for her.
(c) By bursting into song when she agrees to talk with him.
(d) By asking her to dance on the bar.
4. How does Mary Todd characterize the life her sister and brother-in-law have chosen?
(a) She says they live fearful lives, surrounded by fences designed to keep the world at arm's length.
(b) She recognizes their lives are adventurous, with no boundaries.
(c) She says they live in a house with fences, not to keep others out, but to keep themselves from escaping their own narrow lives.
(d) She calls them reckless and irresponsible because they have invested in too many rental properties.
5. What is the "good joke" Lincoln plans to tell Bowling Green at the end of Act 1, Scene 2 in the Rutledge Tavern?
(a) That Jack Armstrong, of the Clancy Groves boys, will run for the State Assembly.
(b) That a chicken crossed the road to get to the other side.
(c) That he will be a candidate for the assembly of the State of Illinois.
(d) That Ann Rutledge has run off to marry Josh Speed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is President during the time represented in Act 2, Scene 4?
2. What does Lincoln do that impresses Ninian Edwards in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. What is Billy Herndon's reaction to Lincoln's reasons for breaking off the engagement?
4. What is it about politics that Lincoln dislikes?
5. What is Billy Herndon's flaw?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)