|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 4, why is Billy Herndon disappointed with Lincoln?
(a) Lincoln won't speak out in a fiery way for his own beliefs.
(b) Lincoln is courting more than one woman at a time.
(c) Lincoln is considering buying slaves.
(d) Lincoln is an unsuccessful lawyer and the firm is losing money.
2. On which holiday does Act 1, Scene 2 take place?
(a) The Fourth of July.
(b) Labor Day.
(d) Memorial Day.
3. What are the two professions open to people who fail at everything else, according to Lincoln's teacher?
(a) School teaching and store keeping.
(b) School teaching and politics.
(c) Journalism and law.
(d) Politics and prospecting.
4. One of Lincoln's clients can't pay her bill; why does Lincoln think she is right not to pay?
(a) She is a poor widow and Lincoln doesn't take money from widows.
(b) He believes she is going to inherit a lot of money, so he can wait for payment.
(c) Lincoln took a horse from her late husband in payment.
(d) Lincoln defended her husband unsuccessfully and he was hanged.
5. What happens to Ann Rutledge?
(a) She runs away to Chicago to attend law school.
(b) She meets a wealthy man, marries him and moves West.
(c) Bitten by a mosquito, she is paralzyed and left speechless.
(d) She dies of a brain sickness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Lincoln give in Act 2, Scene 4 for turning down the opportunity to speak against slavery?
2. What is Lincoln studying in the opening scene?
3. Why is Mary Todd so sure that Lincoln will be a success, and not stop to tell jokes, as her sister predicts?
4. What is happening when Lincoln enters Rutledge Tavern to deliver mail?
5. In Scene 2, Act 4, Lincoln receives a letter from his old friend, Seth Gale. What is Gale worrying about?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)