|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Billy Herndon?
(a) A client of Lincoln's who is accused of murder.
(b) The illegitimate son of Josh Speed.
(c) A law clerk in Lincoln's office.
(d) The boy who delivers mid-afternoon coffee and lottery tickets.
2. In Act 2, Scene 5, Lincoln mentions a woman "foxing" his pants--what does that mean?
(a) Attaching foxskins down the legs as a means of camoflauge.
(b) The woman was flirting with him outrageously.
(c) Sewing buckskin around the lower legs to keep them from being shredded by underbrush.
(d) Something so scandalous that Mary Todd showed Lincoln the door before he could explain.
3. In Act 2, Scene 5, does Lincoln ask Mary Todd to marry him?
(a) No, but she expects he will ask that evening.
(b) Yes, but Elizabeth's objections put the matter on hold.
(c) No, but she plans to pop the question that evening.
(d) Yes, but she says she can't quite decide.
4. What happens to Ann Rutledge?
(a) She dies of a brain sickness.
(b) Bitten by a mosquito, she is paralzyed and left speechless.
(c) She meets a wealthy man, marries him and moves West.
(d) She runs away to Chicago to attend law school.
5. What is Bowling Green's attitude toward the possibility of Lincoln marrying Ann Rutledge?
(a) He's all for the marriage; he thinks Ann will keep Lincoln on track.
(b) He's for the marriage; Ann's family has a lot of money to spend on campaigns.
(c) He is against the marriage; he knows Ann has been seeing someone else.
(d) Judge Green is against it; he thinks Ann will be a hindrance to Lincoln.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of Edwards' visit to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What is it about politics that Lincoln dislikes?
3. In a poem that Lincoln reads in the first scene, what is it that the poet finds strange about people?
4. What is the setting of Act 2, Scene 5 and what does it convey about the occupants?
5. What excuse does Ninian Edwards give for getting himself and his wife out of the parlor so Lincoln can be alone with Mary Todd?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)