|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One of Lincoln's clients can't pay her bill; why does Lincoln think she is right not to pay?
(a) He believes she is going to inherit a lot of money, so he can wait for payment.
(b) Lincoln took a horse from her late husband in payment.
(c) She is a poor widow and Lincoln doesn't take money from widows.
(d) Lincoln defended her husband unsuccessfully and he was hanged.
2. What are three things Lincoln likes about Ann Rutledge?
(a) She's brave, pretty and a political asset.
(b) She's good-looking, sensible and wants a large family.
(c) She's sensible, brave and good-looking.
(d) She's smart, pretty and owns property.
3. How does Mary Todd characterize the life her sister and brother-in-law have chosen?
(a) She recognizes their lives are adventurous, with no boundaries.
(b) She says they live in a house with fences, not to keep others out, but to keep themselves from escaping their own narrow lives.
(c) She says they live fearful lives, surrounded by fences designed to keep the world at arm's length.
(d) She calls them reckless and irresponsible because they have invested in too many rental properties.
4. In Scene 2, Act 4, what office is Lincoln seeking?
(a) President of the Springfield School Board.
(b) Member of the Electoral College.
(c) Springfield's combined office of dogcatcher and postmaster.
(d) President of the United States.
5. Besides debt, what topic often occupies Lincoln's mind?
(a) The prospect of marriage.
(b) The prospect of death.
(c) The prospect of a harsh winter.
(d) The prospect of civil war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lincoln's response to a poem he reads regarding life and death?
2. Who admits being the one who suggested recruiting Lincoln to run for office?
3. What is the "good joke" Lincoln plans to tell Bowling Green at the end of Act 1, Scene 2 in the Rutledge Tavern?
4. What does Lincoln see on the boat from Quincy to Alton that shocks him?
5. What is Lincoln's new attitude toward God after Ann's death?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)