|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides debt, what topic often occupies Lincoln's mind?
(a) The prospect of marriage.
(b) The prospect of civil war.
(c) The prospect of death.
(d) The prospect of a harsh winter.
2. What is Billy Herndon's flaw?
(a) He kills compulsively.
(b) He cheats at cards.
(c) He drinks too much and too often.
(d) He is a womanizer.
3. Who have Bowling Green, Ninian Edwards and Josh Speed come to New Salem to see?
(a) Ben Mattling.
(b) Seth Gale
(c) Abe Lincoln.
(d) Ann Rutledge.
4. What is the setting of the first scene of Abe Lincoln in Illinois?
(a) A log cabin in the woods of Missouri.
(b) A cabin near New Salem, Illionois, which belongs to Lincoln's teacher.
(c) A tavern in Springfield.
(d) A riverboat on the mighty Mississippi.
5. How does Lincoln feel after Ann's death?
(a) He knows her death is for the best, and that he will be able to concentrate better without her.
(b) He feels guilty because she got brain sickness and he did not.
(c) He is relieved because he had begun to doubt her love.
(d) He feels he should die to be with her again or he will go crazy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is President during the time represented in Act 2, Scene 4?
2. Why is Mary Todd so sure that Lincoln will be a success, and not stop to tell jokes, as her sister predicts?
3. What is the local gossip in New Salem about Ann Rutledge?
4. What is it about politics that Lincoln dislikes?
5. What are the Bowling Greens reading when Josh Speed arrives at their home in Act 1, Scene 3?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)