|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are three things Lincoln likes about Ann Rutledge?
(a) She's smart, pretty and owns property.
(b) She's good-looking, sensible and wants a large family.
(c) She's sensible, brave and good-looking.
(d) She's brave, pretty and a political asset.
2. How does Mary Todd respond to Lincoln's proposal at the end of Act 2, Scene 5?
(a) First she acts surprised, then meekly agrees with a timid "yes."
(b) She laughs and laughs, then says she'll think it over seriously and get back to him.
(c) She doesn't--the scene ends with the lights fading before he pops the question.
(d) She grabs his hands, looks deeply into his eyes and whispers the word "yes."
3. Who admits being the one who suggested recruiting Lincoln to run for office?
(a) Josh Speed.
(b) Seth Gale.
(c) Ann Rutledge.
(d) Jack Armstrong.
4. What does Lincoln's teacher suggest Lincoln do to improve his life?
(a) Get a law degree.
(b) Find a woman to marry.
(c) Consider becoming a minister.
(d) Move out of town.
5. What do Josh Speed and Bowling Green think might be the result, if slavery spreads further across the South?
(a) Civil war might break out.
(b) The South could overthrow the existing government and move the Capitol to Virginia.
(c) The British would reassert power over the colonies.
(d) Lincoln could be drafted to head the military.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject of the speech Lincoln is studying in the first scene?
2. Why does Lincoln return to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
3. What does Billy Herndon urge Lincoln's friends to do, as Herndon leaves the office in Act 2, Scene 4?
4. What does Lincoln see on the boat from Quincy to Alton that shocks him?
5. What is Lincoln's attitude about people before he meets Ann Rutledge?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)