|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is President of the United States at the time Edwards visits New Salem to meet Lincoln?
(a) John Glenn.
(b) Andrew Jackson.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Alexander Hamilton.
2. One of Lincoln's clients can't pay her bill; why does Lincoln think she is right not to pay?
(a) She is a poor widow and Lincoln doesn't take money from widows.
(b) He believes she is going to inherit a lot of money, so he can wait for payment.
(c) Lincoln defended her husband unsuccessfully and he was hanged.
(d) Lincoln took a horse from her late husband in payment.
3. How does Mary Todd characterize the life her sister and brother-in-law have chosen?
(a) She says they live in a house with fences, not to keep others out, but to keep themselves from escaping their own narrow lives.
(b) She calls them reckless and irresponsible because they have invested in too many rental properties.
(c) She recognizes their lives are adventurous, with no boundaries.
(d) She says they live fearful lives, surrounded by fences designed to keep the world at arm's length.
4. What is the "good joke" Lincoln plans to tell Bowling Green at the end of Act 1, Scene 2 in the Rutledge Tavern?
(a) That Ann Rutledge has run off to marry Josh Speed.
(b) That a chicken crossed the road to get to the other side.
(c) That he will be a candidate for the assembly of the State of Illinois.
(d) That Jack Armstrong, of the Clancy Groves boys, will run for the State Assembly.
5. How much would Lincoln be paid as a member of the legislature?
(a) Nothing, it's a volunteer job.
(b) $3 a day.
(c) $2.50 a day.
(d) $5 a day.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who have Bowling Green, Ninian Edwards and Josh Speed come to New Salem to see?
2. What is Josh Speed's understanding of Lincoln's personality?
3. What is Lincoln's attitude toward people?
4. How does Act 1, Scene 3, in which Ann Rutledge dies, come to an end?
5. What is Billy Herndon's flaw?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)