|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What, besides politics, does Lincoln have on his mind during the scene in the Rutledge Tavern?
(a) Running down to the town picnic for a piece of pie.
(b) Taking over the family farm from his sick father.
(c) Asking town officials for a raise in his wages as postmaster.
(d) Asking Ann Rutledge to consider him as a suitor.
2. What are three things Lincoln likes about Ann Rutledge?
(a) She's smart, pretty and owns property.
(b) She's sensible, brave and good-looking.
(c) She's good-looking, sensible and wants a large family.
(d) She's brave, pretty and a political asset.
3. What is Bowling Green's attitude toward the possibility of Lincoln marrying Ann Rutledge?
(a) He is against the marriage; he knows Ann has been seeing someone else.
(b) He's all for the marriage; he thinks Ann will keep Lincoln on track.
(c) He's for the marriage; Ann's family has a lot of money to spend on campaigns.
(d) Judge Green is against it; he thinks Ann will be a hindrance to Lincoln.
4. What is Lincoln's new attitude toward God after Ann's death?
(a) He becomes an atheist.
(b) He can't pray to a God that needlessly allowed Ann to die.
(c) He knows if he had prayed day and night, Ann would have lived.
(d) He accepts that "the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away."
5. According to Nancy Green in Act 1, Scene 3, why can't Lincoln face life without a woman by his side?
(a) Because he hears voices in the night and they give him contradictory directions.
(b) Because he listens to strange voices that speak to him in church and they command him to do bad things.
(c) Because he hears the whispers of the dead women in his life, including his mother, and he can't understand what the whispers mean.
(d) Because he goes into trances when under stress and needs someone to help him snap out of it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ann Rutledge?
2. Who is President of the United States at the time Edwards visits New Salem to meet Lincoln?
3. Who have Bowling Green, Ninian Edwards and Josh Speed come to New Salem to see?
4. In Act 2, Scene 4, who arrives unexpectedly at Lincoln's office to visit?
5. What does Lincoln do that impresses Ninian Edwards in Act 1, Scene 2?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)