|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Josh Speed and Bowling Green think might be the result, if slavery spreads further across the South?
(a) The South could overthrow the existing government and move the Capitol to Virginia.
(b) The British would reassert power over the colonies.
(c) Lincoln could be drafted to head the military.
(d) Civil war might break out.
2. What are three things Lincoln likes about Ann Rutledge?
(a) She's sensible, brave and good-looking.
(b) She's good-looking, sensible and wants a large family.
(c) She's brave, pretty and a political asset.
(d) She's smart, pretty and owns property.
3. What is the setting of the first scene of Abe Lincoln in Illinois?
(a) A cabin near New Salem, Illionois, which belongs to Lincoln's teacher.
(b) A riverboat on the mighty Mississippi.
(c) A log cabin in the woods of Missouri.
(d) A tavern in Springfield.
4. What is Bowling Green's attitude toward the possibility of Lincoln marrying Ann Rutledge?
(a) He's for the marriage; Ann's family has a lot of money to spend on campaigns.
(b) Judge Green is against it; he thinks Ann will be a hindrance to Lincoln.
(c) He's all for the marriage; he thinks Ann will keep Lincoln on track.
(d) He is against the marriage; he knows Ann has been seeing someone else.
5. What last ditch effort does Mary Todd's sister make to prevent a proposal from Lincoln toward the end of Act 2, Scene 5?
(a) She begins yelling at her sister, causing Ninian to slap her and drag her from the room.
(b) She begs Mary to put the children to bed.
(c) She spills a pot of hot tea on Lincoln's lap.
(d) She produces a fan and uses it to flirt with Lincoln, to show he wouldn't be a faithful husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lincoln studying in the opening scene?
2. What opinion does Elizabeth Edwards have of Abe Lincoln?
3. Who does Ninian Edwards believe might be instigating the prospect of marriage between Abe Lincoln and Mary Todd?
4. Who does Lincoln blame for all the political strife in the country?
5. What characteristics make Mary Todd a good catch in the eyes of most people?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)