|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lincoln see on the boat from Quincy to Alton that shocks him?
(a) A dozen negroes, chained together, being shipped South to be sold.
(b) A dozen dancing girls, chained together, forced to entertain passengers.
(c) A dozen mules on shore, chained and being flogged.
(d) A woman with 12 children, begging for food.
2. Besides debt, what topic often occupies Lincoln's mind?
(a) The prospect of civil war.
(b) The prospect of death.
(c) The prospect of marriage.
(d) The prospect of a harsh winter.
3. What opinion does Elizabeth Edwards have of Abe Lincoln?
(a) Compared to other men, he would be at the top of her list of potential husbands.
(b) She calls him elegant, cultivated and likely to be rich some day soon.
(c) She says he has a simple soul and is a most amiable creature, but not suitable as a husband.
(d) She thinks he's divinely good-looking, but shiftless.
4. According to Josh, how is Lincoln doing in the State Assembly?
(a) Not well; he sits and draws his three dollars a day without paying attention.
(b) Fabulously well; he's shown himself to be a natural leader.
(c) Great; he's getting kickbacks for legislation he sponsors.
(d) Not well; he's been rabble-rousing with speeches against slavery.
5. What, besides politics, does Lincoln have on his mind during the scene in the Rutledge Tavern?
(a) Asking town officials for a raise in his wages as postmaster.
(b) Asking Ann Rutledge to consider him as a suitor.
(c) Taking over the family farm from his sick father.
(d) Running down to the town picnic for a piece of pie.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Lincoln bring himself to shoot a deer?
2. What is Lincoln studying in the opening scene?
3. What do Josh Speed and Bowling Green think might be the result, if slavery spreads further across the South?
4. Why does Bowling Green call Lincoln "an artful dodger" in Act 2, Scene 4?
5. When Lincoln arrives at the Edwards' home in Act 2, Scene 5, does he sense tension between Mary Todd and her sister?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)