|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What opinion does Elizabeth Edwards have of Abe Lincoln?
(a) She says he has a simple soul and is a most amiable creature, but not suitable as a husband.
(b) She calls him elegant, cultivated and likely to be rich some day soon.
(c) She thinks he's divinely good-looking, but shiftless.
(d) Compared to other men, he would be at the top of her list of potential husbands.
2. What characteristics make Mary Todd a good catch in the eyes of most people?
(a) She's smart, cultivated and the daughter of a bank president.
(b) She is exceedingly beautiful and has a shy, retiring demeanor.
(c) She's highly educated and would make a good Secretary of State.
(d) She speaks French, cooks Italian and comes from a line of English royalty.
3. What is the mood of the speech Lincoln is asked to read in the first scene?
4. What is the setting of the first scene of Abe Lincoln in Illinois?
(a) A riverboat on the mighty Mississippi.
(b) A tavern in Springfield.
(c) A cabin near New Salem, Illionois, which belongs to Lincoln's teacher.
(d) A log cabin in the woods of Missouri.
5. According to Nancy Green in Act 1, Scene 3, why can't Lincoln face life without a woman by his side?
(a) Because he hears voices in the night and they give him contradictory directions.
(b) Because he listens to strange voices that speak to him in church and they command him to do bad things.
(c) Because he goes into trances when under stress and needs someone to help him snap out of it.
(d) Because he hears the whispers of the dead women in his life, including his mother, and he can't understand what the whispers mean.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lincoln's attitude toward people?
2. What is the subject of the speech Lincoln is studying in the first scene?
3. What organization wants Lincoln to give a speech?
4. What do Josh Speed and Bowling Green think might be the result, if slavery spreads further across the South?
5. When Act 2, Scene 4 opens in Lincoln's Springfield law office, how much time has passed since the death of Ann Rutledge?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)