|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Ninian Edwards?
(a) A merchant passing through New Salem.
(b) Josh Speed's stepbrother.
(c) Uncle of Elizabeth Edwards.
(d) Son of the Illinois governor.
2. Who are the main characters in the first scene of the play?
(a) Abe and Mary Todd Lincoln.
(b) Mentor Graham, Seth Gale and Mary Todd Lincoln.
(c) Abe Lincoln and Seth Gale.
(d) Abe Lincoln and Mentor Graham.
3. What does Ann's love do for Lincoln?
(a) Her love makes him believe in God, believe that all things are possible, and he can do anything he wants.
(b) Her love makes him weak at the knees and fuzzy in his thoughts; he knows he can't make anything of himself.
(c) Her love inspires him to write great poetry.
(d) Her love makes him irritable because she is so needy.
4. What does Mary Todd's sister predict if she marries Lincoln?
(a) A wanderer's life, as Lincoln can't seem to hold a decent job.
(b) A glittering life in the nation's capital, dancing with elegant Europeans.
(c) A life in a quaint cabin, stitching buckskin clothing and raising a passel of children.
(d) A life in a miserable cabin, without servants and without decent clothing.
5. What is happening when Lincoln enters Rutledge Tavern to deliver mail?
(a) The Clancy Groves boys are buying a round of whiskey for everyone.
(b) The Clancy Groves boys have the judge trapped behind the bar.
(c) A local bully is angling for a fight with Ninian Edwards.
(d) Ben Mattling is having a heart attack.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Scene 2, Act 4, what office is Lincoln seeking?
2. What is Josh Speed's understanding of Lincoln's personality?
3. What, besides politics, does Lincoln have on his mind during the scene in the Rutledge Tavern?
4. In Act 2, Scene 4, who arrives unexpectedly at Lincoln's office to visit?
5. What happens at the end of Act 2, Scene 4 that proves Lincoln's claim that he is a social success?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)