|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What opinion does Elizabeth Edwards have of Abe Lincoln?
(a) She thinks he's divinely good-looking, but shiftless.
(b) She calls him elegant, cultivated and likely to be rich some day soon.
(c) Compared to other men, he would be at the top of her list of potential husbands.
(d) She says he has a simple soul and is a most amiable creature, but not suitable as a husband.
2. In Act 2, Scene 5, does Lincoln ask Mary Todd to marry him?
(a) Yes, but Elizabeth's objections put the matter on hold.
(b) Yes, but she says she can't quite decide.
(c) No, but she plans to pop the question that evening.
(d) No, but she expects he will ask that evening.
3. What characteristics make Mary Todd a good catch in the eyes of most people?
(a) She's highly educated and would make a good Secretary of State.
(b) She is exceedingly beautiful and has a shy, retiring demeanor.
(c) She speaks French, cooks Italian and comes from a line of English royalty.
(d) She's smart, cultivated and the daughter of a bank president.
4. Who wrote the poem that Lincoln's teacher gives him to read?
(a) John Singer Sargeant.
(b) John Brown.
(c) John Lennon.
(d) John Keats.
5. What reason does Lincoln give in Act 2, Scene 4 for turning down the opportunity to speak against slavery?
(a) He is pro-slavery.
(b) The sponsoring organization is "a pack of hell-raising fanatics."
(c) He is feuding with the president of the organization that wants him to speak.
(d) He has a date on the night of the rally.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 5, Lincoln mentions a woman "foxing" his pants--what does that mean?
2. What is happening when Lincoln enters Rutledge Tavern to deliver mail?
3. What do Josh Speed and Bowling Green think might be the result, if slavery spreads further across the South?
4. What is the weather, as the Greens sit in their parlor, waiting for Abe to return from Ann Rutledge's home?
5. Why is Ann's death such a setback to Lincoln?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)