|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who admits being the one who suggested recruiting Lincoln to run for office?
(a) Ann Rutledge.
(b) Josh Speed.
(c) Jack Armstrong.
(d) Seth Gale.
2. What is Lincoln's attitude about people before he meets Ann Rutledge?
(a) All people are to a degree insane, but that shouldn't stop one from getting close to them.
(b) The best thing is to take a vow of silence in order not to be bothered by fools.
(c) It's best not to get too close to people; they see the insanity behind the surface.
(d) Getting close to others is the best antidote in the world to loneliness.
3. How does Mary Todd respond to Lincoln's proposal at the end of Act 2, Scene 5?
(a) First she acts surprised, then meekly agrees with a timid "yes."
(b) She doesn't--the scene ends with the lights fading before he pops the question.
(c) She laughs and laughs, then says she'll think it over seriously and get back to him.
(d) She grabs his hands, looks deeply into his eyes and whispers the word "yes."
4. When Lincoln suggests he wants to die in Act 1, Scene 3, how do his friends respond?
(a) They promise to introduce him to other women.
(b) They insist he stay and try to get some sleep.
(c) They fall to their knees and beg him to reconsider.
(d) They agree that it might be best if he dies.
5. What characteristics make Mary Todd a good catch in the eyes of most people?
(a) She's highly educated and would make a good Secretary of State.
(b) She speaks French, cooks Italian and comes from a line of English royalty.
(c) She's smart, cultivated and the daughter of a bank president.
(d) She is exceedingly beautiful and has a shy, retiring demeanor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lincoln's attitude toward people?
2. What is the local gossip in New Salem about Ann Rutledge?
3. What is Lincoln's response to a poem he reads regarding life and death?
4. Besides debt, what topic often occupies Lincoln's mind?
5. Why is Ann's death such a setback to Lincoln?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)