|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Act 2, Scene 4 opens in Lincoln's Springfield law office, how much time has passed since the death of Ann Rutledge?
(a) Six months.
(b) Five years.
(c) Thirteen years.
(d) Two years.
2. What is Josh Speed's understanding of Lincoln's personality?
(a) Lincoln can't control his manic-depressive episodes and constantly makes a fool of himself.
(b) Lincoln is a great fool with an odd understanding of the law.
(c) Lincoln is a hopeless hypochondriac who reads Hamlet.
(d) Lincoln is obsessive-compulsive and can't stop counting fence posts.
3. What opinion does Elizabeth Edwards have of Abe Lincoln?
(a) She calls him elegant, cultivated and likely to be rich some day soon.
(b) She says he has a simple soul and is a most amiable creature, but not suitable as a husband.
(c) She thinks he's divinely good-looking, but shiftless.
(d) Compared to other men, he would be at the top of her list of potential husbands.
4. In a poem given to Lincoln by his teacher in the first scene, life is compared to what?
(a) A dream, a vision, a phantom.
(b) A river, a meadow, the wide horizon.
(c) A fairy tale, a legend, a lie.
(d) A nightmare, a hallucination, a ghost.
5. One of Lincoln's clients can't pay her bill; why does Lincoln think she is right not to pay?
(a) Lincoln took a horse from her late husband in payment.
(b) He believes she is going to inherit a lot of money, so he can wait for payment.
(c) Lincoln defended her husband unsuccessfully and he was hanged.
(d) She is a poor widow and Lincoln doesn't take money from widows.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lincoln see on the boat from Quincy to Alton that shocks him?
2. What last ditch effort does Mary Todd's sister make to prevent a proposal from Lincoln toward the end of Act 2, Scene 5?
3. What is Billy Herndon's flaw?
4. How does Lincoln feel after Ann's death?
5. What does Lincoln's teacher suggest Lincoln do to improve his life?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)