|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lincoln studying in the opening scene?
(a) The moods of a woman he would like to court.
(b) The plays of Shakespeare.
(c) The moods of the English language.
(d) Punctuation marks.
2. What is the plan that Seth Gale and Lincoln have for their futures?
(a) To relocate to Springfield and open a general store.
(b) To move to California, in search of gold.
(c) To move west, to Nebraska.
(d) To attend law school and go into practice together.
3. What is Josh Speed's understanding of Lincoln's personality?
(a) Lincoln can't control his manic-depressive episodes and constantly makes a fool of himself.
(b) Lincoln is a hopeless hypochondriac who reads Hamlet.
(c) Lincoln is a great fool with an odd understanding of the law.
(d) Lincoln is obsessive-compulsive and can't stop counting fence posts.
4. In Act 2, Scene 5, Lincoln mentions a woman "foxing" his pants--what does that mean?
(a) Something so scandalous that Mary Todd showed Lincoln the door before he could explain.
(b) The woman was flirting with him outrageously.
(c) Attaching foxskins down the legs as a means of camoflauge.
(d) Sewing buckskin around the lower legs to keep them from being shredded by underbrush.
5. What, besides politics, does Lincoln have on his mind during the scene in the Rutledge Tavern?
(a) Running down to the town picnic for a piece of pie.
(b) Asking Ann Rutledge to consider him as a suitor.
(c) Asking town officials for a raise in his wages as postmaster.
(d) Taking over the family farm from his sick father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lincoln's response to a poem he reads regarding life and death?
2. Where is Abe Lincoln staying while in New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
3. What does Mary Todd's sister predict if she marries Lincoln?
4. Who are the main characters in the first scene of the play?
5. Who wrote the poem that Lincoln's teacher gives him to read?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)