|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Ann Rutledge?
(a) She dies of a brain sickness.
(b) She runs away to Chicago to attend law school.
(c) She meets a wealthy man, marries him and moves West.
(d) Bitten by a mosquito, she is paralzyed and left speechless.
2. When Lincoln suggests he wants to die in Act 1, Scene 3, how do his friends respond?
(a) They insist he stay and try to get some sleep.
(b) They agree that it might be best if he dies.
(c) They promise to introduce him to other women.
(d) They fall to their knees and beg him to reconsider.
3. Who is Billy Herndon?
(a) A client of Lincoln's who is accused of murder.
(b) A law clerk in Lincoln's office.
(c) The boy who delivers mid-afternoon coffee and lottery tickets.
(d) The illegitimate son of Josh Speed.
4. What are the Bowling Greens reading when Josh Speed arrives at their home in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club.
(b) The New York Review of Books.
(c) The Bourne Chronicles.
(d) The Federalist Papers.
5. In Act 2, Scene 4, why is Billy Herndon disappointed with Lincoln?
(a) Lincoln won't speak out in a fiery way for his own beliefs.
(b) Lincoln is an unsuccessful lawyer and the firm is losing money.
(c) Lincoln is courting more than one woman at a time.
(d) Lincoln is considering buying slaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Josh Speed and Bowling Green think might be the result, if slavery spreads further across the South?
2. What are the two professions open to people who fail at everything else, according to Lincoln's teacher?
3. In a poem that Lincoln reads in the first scene, what is it that the poet finds strange about people?
4. In a poem given to Lincoln by his teacher in the first scene, life is compared to what?
5. What is Lincoln's attitude about people before he meets Ann Rutledge?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)