|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lincoln's attitude about people before he meets Ann Rutledge?
(a) All people are to a degree insane, but that shouldn't stop one from getting close to them.
(b) Getting close to others is the best antidote in the world to loneliness.
(c) The best thing is to take a vow of silence in order not to be bothered by fools.
(d) It's best not to get too close to people; they see the insanity behind the surface.
2. What is the weather, as the Greens sit in their parlor, waiting for Abe to return from Ann Rutledge's home?
(a) It is storming, windy and rainy.
(b) A blizzard is going on.
(c) A gentle breeze ruffles the leaves of autumn trees.
(d) The sun is shining brightly.
3. What does Lincoln see on the boat from Quincy to Alton that shocks him?
(a) A woman with 12 children, begging for food.
(b) A dozen negroes, chained together, being shipped South to be sold.
(c) A dozen mules on shore, chained and being flogged.
(d) A dozen dancing girls, chained together, forced to entertain passengers.
4. Who gave the speech that Lincoln's teacher has him read?
(a) James Madison.
(b) Alexander Hamilton.
(c) George Washington.
(d) Daniel Webster.
5. How does Mary Todd respond to Lincoln's proposal at the end of Act 2, Scene 5?
(a) First she acts surprised, then meekly agrees with a timid "yes."
(b) She grabs his hands, looks deeply into his eyes and whispers the word "yes."
(c) She laughs and laughs, then says she'll think it over seriously and get back to him.
(d) She doesn't--the scene ends with the lights fading before he pops the question.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a poem given to Lincoln by his teacher in the first scene, life is compared to what?
2. What last ditch effort does Mary Todd's sister make to prevent a proposal from Lincoln toward the end of Act 2, Scene 5?
3. Besides debt, what topic often occupies Lincoln's mind?
4. What is the plan that Seth Gale and Lincoln have for their futures?
5. What does Billy Herndon urge Lincoln's friends to do, as Herndon leaves the office in Act 2, Scene 4?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)