|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the two professions open to people who fail at everything else, according to Lincoln's teacher?
(a) Journalism and law.
(b) Politics and prospecting.
(c) School teaching and store keeping.
(d) School teaching and politics.
2. According to Nancy Green in Act 1, Scene 3, why can't Lincoln face life without a woman by his side?
(a) Because he hears the whispers of the dead women in his life, including his mother, and he can't understand what the whispers mean.
(b) Because he goes into trances when under stress and needs someone to help him snap out of it.
(c) Because he hears voices in the night and they give him contradictory directions.
(d) Because he listens to strange voices that speak to him in church and they command him to do bad things.
3. When Act 2, Scene 4 opens in Lincoln's Springfield law office, how much time has passed since the death of Ann Rutledge?
(a) Two years.
(b) Six months.
(c) Five years.
(d) Thirteen years.
4. In a poem that Lincoln reads in the first scene, what is it that the poet finds strange about people?
(a) They are afraid to face death alone.
(b) They dance through life unaware of pleasure.
(c) They look forward to death, even when life is good.
(d) They think of death as an awakening.
5. How does Lincoln feel after Ann's death?
(a) He is relieved because he had begun to doubt her love.
(b) He feels guilty because she got brain sickness and he did not.
(c) He knows her death is for the best, and that he will be able to concentrate better without her.
(d) He feels he should die to be with her again or he will go crazy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the plan that Seth Gale and Lincoln have for their futures?
2. Why does Lincoln return to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
3. Who gave the speech that Lincoln's teacher has him read?
4. What does Lincoln see on the boat from Quincy to Alton that shocks him?
5. How does Mary Todd characterize the life her sister and brother-in-law have chosen?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)