|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it about politics that Lincoln dislikes?
(a) If elected, a man has to move to the city.
(b) If he loses, a man will be left with many debts.
(c) If elected, a man is likely to be shot.
(d) If not elected, a man will be ashamed in his own community.
2. What are three things Lincoln likes about Ann Rutledge?
(a) She's sensible, brave and good-looking.
(b) She's smart, pretty and owns property.
(c) She's good-looking, sensible and wants a large family.
(d) She's brave, pretty and a political asset.
3. Who have Bowling Green, Ninian Edwards and Josh Speed come to New Salem to see?
(a) Seth Gale
(b) Ben Mattling.
(c) Ann Rutledge.
(d) Abe Lincoln.
4. In a poem that Lincoln reads in the first scene, what is it that the poet finds strange about people?
(a) They are afraid to face death alone.
(b) They dance through life unaware of pleasure.
(c) They think of death as an awakening.
(d) They look forward to death, even when life is good.
5. What is a benefit of being in the state capitol that might entice Lincoln to run for office?
(a) The opportunity to learn from the finest lawyers in the state.
(b) The chance to have suits made that will have sleeves that are long enough for his arms.
(c) He will be able to collect extra money by doing favors for friends.
(d) Women will seek him out for marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the five indicative moods, as Lincoln knows them?
2. What is Lincoln's new attitude toward God after Ann's death?
3. Why does Lincoln return to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
4. What is the local gossip in New Salem about Ann Rutledge?
5. How much would Lincoln be paid as a member of the legislature?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)