|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What subject is always heavy on Lincoln's mind?
(a) That he'll never have a chance to run for public office.
(b) That if he ever gets out of debt, he'll get right back in again.
(c) That his partner will buy the store where Abe works and fire him.
(d) That he will fail at the job of postmaster.
2. What is the mood of the speech Lincoln is asked to read in the first scene?
3. Who are the main characters in the first scene of the play?
(a) Mentor Graham, Seth Gale and Mary Todd Lincoln.
(b) Abe Lincoln and Seth Gale.
(c) Abe and Mary Todd Lincoln.
(d) Abe Lincoln and Mentor Graham.
4. Why is Ann's death such a setback to Lincoln?
(a) He doesn't feel he will be taken seriously as a candidate if he is single.
(b) He depended on Ann's connections to the politically powerful in Washington.
(c) Ann wrote his speeches; without her, he has nothing to say.
(d) He fears any woman who loves him is doomed to an early death, like his mother.
5. How much would Lincoln be paid as a member of the legislature?
(a) $3 a day.
(b) $5 a day.
(c) Nothing, it's a volunteer job.
(d) $2.50 a day.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lincoln surprise Ann Rutledge while she is clearing tables during Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What is the subject of the speech Lincoln is studying in the first scene?
3. What is the weather, as the Greens sit in their parlor, waiting for Abe to return from Ann Rutledge's home?
4. What is Lincoln studying in the opening scene?
5. How does the weather complement Lincoln's mood when he arrives at the home of the Greens' with news of Ann's death?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)