|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is happening when Lincoln enters Rutledge Tavern to deliver mail?
(a) The Clancy Groves boys are buying a round of whiskey for everyone.
(b) The Clancy Groves boys have the judge trapped behind the bar.
(c) Ben Mattling is having a heart attack.
(d) A local bully is angling for a fight with Ninian Edwards.
2. When Lincoln suggests he wants to die in Act 1, Scene 3, how do his friends respond?
(a) They promise to introduce him to other women.
(b) They agree that it might be best if he dies.
(c) They insist he stay and try to get some sleep.
(d) They fall to their knees and beg him to reconsider.
3. Who admits being the one who suggested recruiting Lincoln to run for office?
(a) Josh Speed.
(b) Jack Armstrong.
(c) Ann Rutledge.
(d) Seth Gale.
4. What is Josh Speed's understanding of Lincoln's personality?
(a) Lincoln is a great fool with an odd understanding of the law.
(b) Lincoln is obsessive-compulsive and can't stop counting fence posts.
(c) Lincoln is a hopeless hypochondriac who reads Hamlet.
(d) Lincoln can't control his manic-depressive episodes and constantly makes a fool of himself.
5. What is Lincoln's attitude toward people?
(a) He loves being in a crowd, but feels anxious one-to-one.
(b) He likes them one-to-one, but crowds scare him.
(c) He dislikes people because of their inhumanity.
(d) He is afraid of them, unless he has known them all his life.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ann Rutledge?
2. What is the subject of the speech Lincoln is studying in the first scene?
3. What is the local gossip in New Salem about Ann Rutledge?
4. How does the weather complement Lincoln's mood when he arrives at the home of the Greens' with news of Ann's death?
5. What is the setting of the first scene of Abe Lincoln in Illinois?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)