|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Josh Speed's understanding of Lincoln's personality?
(a) Lincoln is a hopeless hypochondriac who reads Hamlet.
(b) Lincoln is obsessive-compulsive and can't stop counting fence posts.
(c) Lincoln can't control his manic-depressive episodes and constantly makes a fool of himself.
(d) Lincoln is a great fool with an odd understanding of the law.
2. What is Lincoln studying in the opening scene?
(a) Punctuation marks.
(b) The moods of a woman he would like to court.
(c) The plays of Shakespeare.
(d) The moods of the English language.
3. On which holiday does Act 1, Scene 2 take place?
(a) Labor Day.
(b) The Fourth of July.
(c) Memorial Day.
4. What are the Bowling Greens reading when Josh Speed arrives at their home in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) The New York Review of Books.
(b) The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club.
(c) The Bourne Chronicles.
(d) The Federalist Papers.
5. How does Lincoln surprise Ann Rutledge while she is clearing tables during Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) By declaring his love for her.
(b) By asking her to dance on the bar.
(c) By delivering a package from her fiance.
(d) By bursting into song when she agrees to talk with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the plan that Seth Gale and Lincoln have for their futures?
2. Why is Ann's death such a setback to Lincoln?
3. What does Ann's love do for Lincoln?
4. What is the mood of the speech Lincoln is asked to read in the first scene?
5. Who are the main characters in the first scene of the play?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)