|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are three things Lincoln likes about Ann Rutledge?
(a) She's brave, pretty and a political asset.
(b) She's smart, pretty and owns property.
(c) She's good-looking, sensible and wants a large family.
(d) She's sensible, brave and good-looking.
2. In a poem that Lincoln reads in the first scene, what is it that the poet finds strange about people?
(a) They look forward to death, even when life is good.
(b) They are afraid to face death alone.
(c) They think of death as an awakening.
(d) They dance through life unaware of pleasure.
3. How does Act 1, Scene 3, in which Ann Rutledge dies, come to an end?
(a) The scene ends with only a beam of light from Abe's attic illuminating the stage.
(b) The scene ends with a prayer spoken by Nancy Green.
(c) The scene concludes with Lincoln on his knees in the attic, sobbing.
(d) The scene ends when Lincoln stumbles offstage, leaving his friends worried about his fate.
4. What is happening when Lincoln enters Rutledge Tavern to deliver mail?
(a) The Clancy Groves boys have the judge trapped behind the bar.
(b) Ben Mattling is having a heart attack.
(c) The Clancy Groves boys are buying a round of whiskey for everyone.
(d) A local bully is angling for a fight with Ninian Edwards.
5. What is Lincoln's attitude about people before he meets Ann Rutledge?
(a) The best thing is to take a vow of silence in order not to be bothered by fools.
(b) Getting close to others is the best antidote in the world to loneliness.
(c) All people are to a degree insane, but that shouldn't stop one from getting close to them.
(d) It's best not to get too close to people; they see the insanity behind the surface.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject is always heavy on Lincoln's mind?
2. What, besides politics, does Lincoln have on his mind during the scene in the Rutledge Tavern?
3. What is Lincoln's new attitude toward God after Ann's death?
4. Who is Ninian Edwards?
5. What is Lincoln's response to a poem he reads regarding life and death?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)