|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the "good joke" Lincoln plans to tell Bowling Green at the end of Act 1, Scene 2 in the Rutledge Tavern?
(a) That Ann Rutledge has run off to marry Josh Speed.
(b) That a chicken crossed the road to get to the other side.
(c) That he will be a candidate for the assembly of the State of Illinois.
(d) That Jack Armstrong, of the Clancy Groves boys, will run for the State Assembly.
2. What is happening when Lincoln enters Rutledge Tavern to deliver mail?
(a) Ben Mattling is having a heart attack.
(b) A local bully is angling for a fight with Ninian Edwards.
(c) The Clancy Groves boys are buying a round of whiskey for everyone.
(d) The Clancy Groves boys have the judge trapped behind the bar.
3. What does Ann's love do for Lincoln?
(a) Her love makes him irritable because she is so needy.
(b) Her love makes him believe in God, believe that all things are possible, and he can do anything he wants.
(c) Her love makes him weak at the knees and fuzzy in his thoughts; he knows he can't make anything of himself.
(d) Her love inspires him to write great poetry.
4. What is Lincoln studying in the opening scene?
(a) The moods of the English language.
(b) Punctuation marks.
(c) The moods of a woman he would like to court.
(d) The plays of Shakespeare.
5. What is Josh Speed's request to the Greens as he departs at the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) He requests they accompany Lincoln to Springfield for opening of the Legislature.
(b) He asks them to keep Lincoln with them and not let him out of their sight.
(c) He wants them to take copious notes about Lincoln's mood.
(d) He asks them to call a physician to treat Lincoln's stress.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the main characters in the first scene of the play?
2. What subject is always heavy on Lincoln's mind?
3. What are the five indicative moods, as Lincoln knows them?
4. Why is Ann's death such a setback to Lincoln?
5. In a poem given to Lincoln by his teacher in the first scene, life is compared to what?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)