|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a poem that Lincoln reads in the first scene, what is it that the poet finds strange about people?
(a) They think of death as an awakening.
(b) They look forward to death, even when life is good.
(c) They dance through life unaware of pleasure.
(d) They are afraid to face death alone.
2. What is the "good joke" Lincoln plans to tell Bowling Green at the end of Act 1, Scene 2 in the Rutledge Tavern?
(a) That a chicken crossed the road to get to the other side.
(b) That he will be a candidate for the assembly of the State of Illinois.
(c) That Jack Armstrong, of the Clancy Groves boys, will run for the State Assembly.
(d) That Ann Rutledge has run off to marry Josh Speed.
3. In a poem given to Lincoln by his teacher in the first scene, life is compared to what?
(a) A river, a meadow, the wide horizon.
(b) A dream, a vision, a phantom.
(c) A nightmare, a hallucination, a ghost.
(d) A fairy tale, a legend, a lie.
4. What is a benefit of being in the state capitol that might entice Lincoln to run for office?
(a) The opportunity to learn from the finest lawyers in the state.
(b) Women will seek him out for marriage.
(c) He will be able to collect extra money by doing favors for friends.
(d) The chance to have suits made that will have sleeves that are long enough for his arms.
5. Besides debt, what topic often occupies Lincoln's mind?
(a) The prospect of a harsh winter.
(b) The prospect of marriage.
(c) The prospect of death.
(d) The prospect of civil war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Bowling Greens reading when Josh Speed arrives at their home in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. What is the mood of the speech Lincoln is asked to read in the first scene?
3. According to Nancy Green in Act 1, Scene 3, why can't Lincoln face life without a woman by his side?
4. What is Lincoln's initial response to the idea of running for office?
5. Who admits being the one who suggested recruiting Lincoln to run for office?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)