|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ann's love do for Lincoln?
(a) Her love inspires him to write great poetry.
(b) Her love makes him irritable because she is so needy.
(c) Her love makes him weak at the knees and fuzzy in his thoughts; he knows he can't make anything of himself.
(d) Her love makes him believe in God, believe that all things are possible, and he can do anything he wants.
2. Who wrote the poem that Lincoln's teacher gives him to read?
(a) John Lennon.
(b) John Brown.
(c) John Singer Sargeant.
(d) John Keats.
3. How much would Lincoln be paid as a member of the legislature?
(a) Nothing, it's a volunteer job.
(b) $5 a day.
(c) $2.50 a day.
(d) $3 a day.
4. Who admits being the one who suggested recruiting Lincoln to run for office?
(a) Josh Speed.
(b) Seth Gale.
(c) Ann Rutledge.
(d) Jack Armstrong.
5. In a poem given to Lincoln by his teacher in the first scene, life is compared to what?
(a) A nightmare, a hallucination, a ghost.
(b) A river, a meadow, the wide horizon.
(c) A dream, a vision, a phantom.
(d) A fairy tale, a legend, a lie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the five indicative moods, as Lincoln knows them?
2. Who have Bowling Green, Ninian Edwards and Josh Speed come to New Salem to see?
3. Why does Lincoln return to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
4. What is the weather, as the Greens sit in their parlor, waiting for Abe to return from Ann Rutledge's home?
5. What are the two professions open to people who fail at everything else, according to Lincoln's teacher?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)