|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of Edwards' visit to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) To look at the Rutledge Tavern as an investment.
(b) To bring law and order to New Salem.
(c) To announce his own run for the presidency.
(d) To recruit Lincoln to run for the State Assembly.
2. What are the Bowling Greens reading when Josh Speed arrives at their home in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) The New York Review of Books.
(b) The Bourne Chronicles.
(c) The Federalist Papers.
(d) The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club.
3. According to Josh, how is Lincoln doing in the State Assembly?
(a) Fabulously well; he's shown himself to be a natural leader.
(b) Great; he's getting kickbacks for legislation he sponsors.
(c) Not well; he's been rabble-rousing with speeches against slavery.
(d) Not well; he sits and draws his three dollars a day without paying attention.
4. Why can't Lincoln bring himself to shoot a deer?
(a) Because of the scene in "Bambi," in which his mother was killed.
(b) Because he once saw one running across his mother's grave.
(c) Because his mother was an anti-gun lobbyist.
(d) Because he prefers bow-hunting.
5. In a poem given to Lincoln by his teacher in the first scene, life is compared to what?
(a) A nightmare, a hallucination, a ghost.
(b) A fairy tale, a legend, a lie.
(c) A river, a meadow, the wide horizon.
(d) A dream, a vision, a phantom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, besides politics, does Lincoln have on his mind during the scene in the Rutledge Tavern?
2. Who is Ann Rutledge?
3. Who have Bowling Green, Ninian Edwards and Josh Speed come to New Salem to see?
4. Why does Lincoln return to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
5. Who gave the speech that Lincoln's teacher has him read?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)