|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the subject of the speech Lincoln is studying in the first scene?
(a) The right of states to secede from the Union; the speaker approves.
(b) The right of states to secede from the Union; the speaker objects.
(c) The upcoming union of North and South; the speaker objects.
(d) South Carolina's decision to break away from North Carolina; the speaker approves.
2. In a poem that Lincoln reads in the first scene, what is it that the poet finds strange about people?
(a) They think of death as an awakening.
(b) They are afraid to face death alone.
(c) They look forward to death, even when life is good.
(d) They dance through life unaware of pleasure.
3. According to Nancy Green in Act 1, Scene 3, why can't Lincoln face life without a woman by his side?
(a) Because he goes into trances when under stress and needs someone to help him snap out of it.
(b) Because he hears the whispers of the dead women in his life, including his mother, and he can't understand what the whispers mean.
(c) Because he hears voices in the night and they give him contradictory directions.
(d) Because he listens to strange voices that speak to him in church and they command him to do bad things.
4. What is the weather, as the Greens sit in their parlor, waiting for Abe to return from Ann Rutledge's home?
(a) The sun is shining brightly.
(b) A blizzard is going on.
(c) It is storming, windy and rainy.
(d) A gentle breeze ruffles the leaves of autumn trees.
5. Who is President of the United States at the time Edwards visits New Salem to meet Lincoln?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) Andrew Jackson.
(c) John Glenn.
(d) Alexander Hamilton.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the mood of the speech Lincoln is asked to read in the first scene?
2. What happens to Ann Rutledge?
3. Why does Lincoln return to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
4. What is a benefit of being in the state capitol that might entice Lincoln to run for office?
5. Who have Bowling Green, Ninian Edwards and Josh Speed come to New Salem to see?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)