|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a poem given to Lincoln by his teacher in the first scene, life is compared to what?
(a) A nightmare, a hallucination, a ghost.
(b) A river, a meadow, the wide horizon.
(c) A dream, a vision, a phantom.
(d) A fairy tale, a legend, a lie.
2. How does Act 1, Scene 3, in which Ann Rutledge dies, come to an end?
(a) The scene ends when Lincoln stumbles offstage, leaving his friends worried about his fate.
(b) The scene ends with a prayer spoken by Nancy Green.
(c) The scene concludes with Lincoln on his knees in the attic, sobbing.
(d) The scene ends with only a beam of light from Abe's attic illuminating the stage.
3. Why does Lincoln return to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) The Greens have asked him to mediate in their divorce.
(b) Seth Gale summoned him with a letter.
(c) Ann Rutledge is sick.
(d) He has been kicked out of Springfiled for being drunk in public.
4. What are the Bowling Greens reading when Josh Speed arrives at their home in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) The Federalist Papers.
(b) The Bourne Chronicles.
(c) The New York Review of Books.
(d) The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club.
5. What are three things Lincoln likes about Ann Rutledge?
(a) She's sensible, brave and good-looking.
(b) She's smart, pretty and owns property.
(c) She's brave, pretty and a political asset.
(d) She's good-looking, sensible and wants a large family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ninian Edwards?
2. What is Josh Speed's request to the Greens as he departs at the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
3. What is Lincoln's attitude about people before he meets Ann Rutledge?
4. What is the local gossip in New Salem about Ann Rutledge?
5. What does Lincoln's teacher suggest Lincoln do to improve his life?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)