|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the two professions open to people who fail at everything else, according to Lincoln's teacher?
(a) Journalism and law.
(b) School teaching and store keeping.
(c) Politics and prospecting.
(d) School teaching and politics.
2. Where is Abe Lincoln staying while in New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) With Ann Rutledge's family.
(b) In Rutledge's Tavern.
(c) In a barn belonging to Josh Speed.
(d) At the home of Bowling and Nancy Green.
3. According to Josh, how is Lincoln doing in the State Assembly?
(a) Fabulously well; he's shown himself to be a natural leader.
(b) Not well; he sits and draws his three dollars a day without paying attention.
(c) Great; he's getting kickbacks for legislation he sponsors.
(d) Not well; he's been rabble-rousing with speeches against slavery.
4. What, besides politics, does Lincoln have on his mind during the scene in the Rutledge Tavern?
(a) Running down to the town picnic for a piece of pie.
(b) Asking town officials for a raise in his wages as postmaster.
(c) Taking over the family farm from his sick father.
(d) Asking Ann Rutledge to consider him as a suitor.
5. Who have Bowling Green, Ninian Edwards and Josh Speed come to New Salem to see?
(a) Ben Mattling.
(b) Abe Lincoln.
(c) Seth Gale
(d) Ann Rutledge.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Nancy Green in Act 1, Scene 3, why can't Lincoln face life without a woman by his side?
2. What is the local gossip in New Salem about Ann Rutledge?
3. What is a benefit of being in the state capitol that might entice Lincoln to run for office?
4. What is Lincoln's attitude about people before he meets Ann Rutledge?
5. On which holiday does Act 1, Scene 2 take place?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)