|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What subject is always heavy on Lincoln's mind?
(a) That he'll never have a chance to run for public office.
(b) That if he ever gets out of debt, he'll get right back in again.
(c) That he will fail at the job of postmaster.
(d) That his partner will buy the store where Abe works and fire him.
2. What are the Bowling Greens reading when Josh Speed arrives at their home in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) The Bourne Chronicles.
(b) The New York Review of Books.
(c) The Federalist Papers.
(d) The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club.
3. Where is Abe Lincoln staying while in New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) At the home of Bowling and Nancy Green.
(b) In Rutledge's Tavern.
(c) With Ann Rutledge's family.
(d) In a barn belonging to Josh Speed.
4. Who have Bowling Green, Ninian Edwards and Josh Speed come to New Salem to see?
(a) Abe Lincoln.
(b) Ben Mattling.
(c) Seth Gale
(d) Ann Rutledge.
5. What are the two professions open to people who fail at everything else, according to Lincoln's teacher?
(a) Politics and prospecting.
(b) School teaching and store keeping.
(c) Journalism and law.
(d) School teaching and politics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lincoln's attitude toward people?
2. When Lincoln suggests he wants to die in Act 1, Scene 3, how do his friends respond?
3. What is the mood of the speech Lincoln is asked to read in the first scene?
4. What is the "good joke" Lincoln plans to tell Bowling Green at the end of Act 1, Scene 2 in the Rutledge Tavern?
5. According to Nancy Green in Act 1, Scene 3, why can't Lincoln face life without a woman by his side?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)