|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much would Lincoln be paid as a member of the legislature?
(a) Nothing, it's a volunteer job.
(b) $3 a day.
(c) $5 a day.
(d) $2.50 a day.
2. Who is Ninian Edwards?
(a) Josh Speed's stepbrother.
(b) Son of the Illinois governor.
(c) Uncle of Elizabeth Edwards.
(d) A merchant passing through New Salem.
3. In a poem given to Lincoln by his teacher in the first scene, life is compared to what?
(a) A fairy tale, a legend, a lie.
(b) A dream, a vision, a phantom.
(c) A nightmare, a hallucination, a ghost.
(d) A river, a meadow, the wide horizon.
4. What is Lincoln's attitude about people before he meets Ann Rutledge?
(a) All people are to a degree insane, but that shouldn't stop one from getting close to them.
(b) The best thing is to take a vow of silence in order not to be bothered by fools.
(c) Getting close to others is the best antidote in the world to loneliness.
(d) It's best not to get too close to people; they see the insanity behind the surface.
5. What is the subject of the speech Lincoln is studying in the first scene?
(a) The right of states to secede from the Union; the speaker approves.
(b) The right of states to secede from the Union; the speaker objects.
(c) The upcoming union of North and South; the speaker objects.
(d) South Carolina's decision to break away from North Carolina; the speaker approves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are three things Lincoln likes about Ann Rutledge?
2. When Lincoln suggests he wants to die in Act 1, Scene 3, how do his friends respond?
3. In a poem that Lincoln reads in the first scene, what is it that the poet finds strange about people?
4. What are the five indicative moods, as Lincoln knows them?
5. What, besides politics, does Lincoln have on his mind during the scene in the Rutledge Tavern?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)