|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting of the first scene of Abe Lincoln in Illinois?
(a) A riverboat on the mighty Mississippi.
(b) A cabin near New Salem, Illionois, which belongs to Lincoln's teacher.
(c) A tavern in Springfield.
(d) A log cabin in the woods of Missouri.
2. What subject is always heavy on Lincoln's mind?
(a) That he'll never have a chance to run for public office.
(b) That his partner will buy the store where Abe works and fire him.
(c) That if he ever gets out of debt, he'll get right back in again.
(d) That he will fail at the job of postmaster.
3. Who is Ann Rutledge?
(a) The postmistress of New Salem.
(b) The woman Abe Lincoln wants to court.
(c) A nun who has taken up the monastic life in Illinois.
(d) Lincoln's aunt.
4. What is the "good joke" Lincoln plans to tell Bowling Green at the end of Act 1, Scene 2 in the Rutledge Tavern?
(a) That Jack Armstrong, of the Clancy Groves boys, will run for the State Assembly.
(b) That he will be a candidate for the assembly of the State of Illinois.
(c) That a chicken crossed the road to get to the other side.
(d) That Ann Rutledge has run off to marry Josh Speed.
5. What is Lincoln studying in the opening scene?
(a) The moods of the English language.
(b) Punctuation marks.
(c) The moods of a woman he would like to court.
(d) The plays of Shakespeare.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lincoln's new attitude toward God after Ann's death?
2. Why is Ann's death such a setback to Lincoln?
3. Who are the main characters in the first scene of the play?
4. What is Lincoln's response to a poem he reads regarding life and death?
5. According to Josh, how is Lincoln doing in the State Assembly?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)