|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lincoln suggests he wants to die in Act 1, Scene 3, how do his friends respond?
(a) They insist he stay and try to get some sleep.
(b) They promise to introduce him to other women.
(c) They fall to their knees and beg him to reconsider.
(d) They agree that it might be best if he dies.
2. Who is President of the United States at the time Edwards visits New Salem to meet Lincoln?
(a) John Glenn.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) Alexander Hamilton.
(d) Andrew Jackson.
3. What happens to Ann Rutledge?
(a) Bitten by a mosquito, she is paralzyed and left speechless.
(b) She runs away to Chicago to attend law school.
(c) She dies of a brain sickness.
(d) She meets a wealthy man, marries him and moves West.
4. In a poem that Lincoln reads in the first scene, what is it that the poet finds strange about people?
(a) They are afraid to face death alone.
(b) They think of death as an awakening.
(c) They look forward to death, even when life is good.
(d) They dance through life unaware of pleasure.
5. What, besides politics, does Lincoln have on his mind during the scene in the Rutledge Tavern?
(a) Running down to the town picnic for a piece of pie.
(b) Asking town officials for a raise in his wages as postmaster.
(c) Asking Ann Rutledge to consider him as a suitor.
(d) Taking over the family farm from his sick father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the mood of the speech Lincoln is asked to read in the first scene?
2. Why can't Lincoln bring himself to shoot a deer?
3. Why does Lincoln return to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
4. What is Lincoln's attitude toward people?
5. What is Lincoln's response to a poem he reads regarding life and death?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)