|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a poem given to Lincoln by his teacher in the first scene, life is compared to what?
(a) A nightmare, a hallucination, a ghost.
(b) A dream, a vision, a phantom.
(c) A fairy tale, a legend, a lie.
(d) A river, a meadow, the wide horizon.
2. What is Lincoln studying in the opening scene?
(a) Punctuation marks.
(b) The moods of a woman he would like to court.
(c) The moods of the English language.
(d) The plays of Shakespeare.
3. What are three things Lincoln likes about Ann Rutledge?
(a) She's smart, pretty and owns property.
(b) She's good-looking, sensible and wants a large family.
(c) She's sensible, brave and good-looking.
(d) She's brave, pretty and a political asset.
4. Why can't Lincoln bring himself to shoot a deer?
(a) Because of the scene in "Bambi," in which his mother was killed.
(b) Because he once saw one running across his mother's grave.
(c) Because his mother was an anti-gun lobbyist.
(d) Because he prefers bow-hunting.
5. According to Josh, how is Lincoln doing in the State Assembly?
(a) Not well; he's been rabble-rousing with speeches against slavery.
(b) Not well; he sits and draws his three dollars a day without paying attention.
(c) Fabulously well; he's shown himself to be a natural leader.
(d) Great; he's getting kickbacks for legislation he sponsors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two professions open to people who fail at everything else, according to Lincoln's teacher?
2. What is Bowling Green's attitude toward the possibility of Lincoln marrying Ann Rutledge?
3. Who is President of the United States at the time Edwards visits New Salem to meet Lincoln?
4. How does Act 1, Scene 3, in which Ann Rutledge dies, come to an end?
5. What are the Bowling Greens reading when Josh Speed arrives at their home in Act 1, Scene 3?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)