|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Ninian Edwards?
(a) Josh Speed's stepbrother.
(b) A merchant passing through New Salem.
(c) Son of the Illinois governor.
(d) Uncle of Elizabeth Edwards.
2. Where is Abe Lincoln staying while in New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) In a barn belonging to Josh Speed.
(b) With Ann Rutledge's family.
(c) At the home of Bowling and Nancy Green.
(d) In Rutledge's Tavern.
3. What is Lincoln's initial response to the idea of running for office?
(a) He thinks it's a comical notion and not a good idea.
(b) He's excited and jumps at the chance.
(c) He is angry because he thinks the idea is a bad joke.
(d) He weeps because his friends think so highly of him.
4. What does Ann's love do for Lincoln?
(a) Her love makes him irritable because she is so needy.
(b) Her love makes him weak at the knees and fuzzy in his thoughts; he knows he can't make anything of himself.
(c) Her love makes him believe in God, believe that all things are possible, and he can do anything he wants.
(d) Her love inspires him to write great poetry.
5. Why does Lincoln return to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) Seth Gale summoned him with a letter.
(b) Ann Rutledge is sick.
(c) The Greens have asked him to mediate in their divorce.
(d) He has been kicked out of Springfiled for being drunk in public.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Lincoln bring himself to shoot a deer?
2. What is Lincoln studying in the opening scene?
3. What is the "good joke" Lincoln plans to tell Bowling Green at the end of Act 1, Scene 2 in the Rutledge Tavern?
4. What is Lincoln's attitude about people before he meets Ann Rutledge?
5. What is Lincoln's attitude toward people?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)