|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What subject is always heavy on Lincoln's mind?
(a) That he'll never have a chance to run for public office.
(b) That he will fail at the job of postmaster.
(c) That if he ever gets out of debt, he'll get right back in again.
(d) That his partner will buy the store where Abe works and fire him.
2. Why can't Lincoln bring himself to shoot a deer?
(a) Because his mother was an anti-gun lobbyist.
(b) Because of the scene in "Bambi," in which his mother was killed.
(c) Because he prefers bow-hunting.
(d) Because he once saw one running across his mother's grave.
3. What does Lincoln do that impresses Ninian Edwards in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Lincoln punches a bully who is threatening Ann Rutledge.
(b) Lincoln gets everyone's attention by firing his pistol at the ceiling.
(c) Lincoln diffuses the tension with the Clancy Groves boys.
(d) Lincoln announces there is free pie in the town square.
4. When Lincoln suggests he wants to die in Act 1, Scene 3, how do his friends respond?
(a) They insist he stay and try to get some sleep.
(b) They agree that it might be best if he dies.
(c) They promise to introduce him to other women.
(d) They fall to their knees and beg him to reconsider.
5. What is the purpose of Edwards' visit to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) To recruit Lincoln to run for the State Assembly.
(b) To announce his own run for the presidency.
(c) To look at the Rutledge Tavern as an investment.
(d) To bring law and order to New Salem.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, besides politics, does Lincoln have on his mind during the scene in the Rutledge Tavern?
2. Who admits being the one who suggested recruiting Lincoln to run for office?
3. Why does Lincoln return to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
4. What is Josh Speed's request to the Greens as he departs at the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
5. What are the two professions open to people who fail at everything else, according to Lincoln's teacher?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)