|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the weather complement Lincoln's mood when he arrives at the home of the Greens' with news of Ann's death?
(a) The weather is as clear as his conscience.
(b) A blizzard settles in, reflecting the cold that has settled in his heart.
(c) The wind howls in agony along with him.
(d) The weather is as stormy as his mood.
2. Why does Lincoln return to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) Ann Rutledge is sick.
(b) He has been kicked out of Springfiled for being drunk in public.
(c) Seth Gale summoned him with a letter.
(d) The Greens have asked him to mediate in their divorce.
3. Who have Bowling Green, Ninian Edwards and Josh Speed come to New Salem to see?
(a) Seth Gale
(b) Abe Lincoln.
(c) Ben Mattling.
(d) Ann Rutledge.
4. What is Lincoln's new attitude toward God after Ann's death?
(a) He becomes an atheist.
(b) He accepts that "the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away."
(c) He can't pray to a God that needlessly allowed Ann to die.
(d) He knows if he had prayed day and night, Ann would have lived.
5. What is it about politics that Lincoln dislikes?
(a) If he loses, a man will be left with many debts.
(b) If elected, a man has to move to the city.
(c) If not elected, a man will be ashamed in his own community.
(d) If elected, a man is likely to be shot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the poem that Lincoln's teacher gives him to read?
2. What is the local gossip in New Salem about Ann Rutledge?
3. What is Lincoln studying in the opening scene?
4. How much would Lincoln be paid as a member of the legislature?
5. On which holiday does Act 1, Scene 2 take place?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)