|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens at the end of Act 2, Scene 4 that proves Lincoln's claim that he is a social success?
(a) Mary Todd sends Lincoln a thank-you note for a pleasant evening the previous week.
(b) Josh Speed introduces Lincoln to his sister.
(c) Nancy Green accepts a job as his social secretary to keep track of his dates.
(d) Ninian Edwards invites Lincoln home for dinner.
2. What excuse does Ninian Edwards give for getting himself and his wife out of the parlor so Lincoln can be alone with Mary Todd?
(a) He takes his wife dancing.
(b) He doesn't give an excuse, just grabs his wife's arm and hustles her off stage.
(c) The two have to hear their children's bedtime prayers.
(d) He feigns an injury and asks his wife to help him upstairs.
3. When Lincoln suggests he wants to die in Act 1, Scene 3, how do his friends respond?
(a) They fall to their knees and beg him to reconsider.
(b) They insist he stay and try to get some sleep.
(c) They promise to introduce him to other women.
(d) They agree that it might be best if he dies.
4. What does Mary Todd tell her brother-in-law when he asks why she has chosen him as a husband?
(a) She can't give him a simple answer, but his is the life and destiny she wants to share.
(b) She says she loves Lincoln's political ambitions and his resemblance to Lochinvar.
(c) She believes Lincoln is destined for wealth and fame, which she craves.
(d) She responds that Lincoln will provide a life of stability and security.
5. What subject is always heavy on Lincoln's mind?
(a) That if he ever gets out of debt, he'll get right back in again.
(b) That he'll never have a chance to run for public office.
(c) That his partner will buy the store where Abe works and fire him.
(d) That he will fail at the job of postmaster.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lincoln's new attitude toward God after Ann's death?
2. What are the five indicative moods, as Lincoln knows them?
3. What is the local gossip in New Salem about Ann Rutledge?
4. In Act 2, Scene 7, what is the fear Seth Gale has about traveling with Gobey?
5. What is happening when Lincoln enters Rutledge Tavern to deliver mail?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)