|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lincoln's initial response to the idea of running for office?
(a) He's excited and jumps at the chance.
(b) He thinks it's a comical notion and not a good idea.
(c) He is angry because he thinks the idea is a bad joke.
(d) He weeps because his friends think so highly of him.
2. In Act 2, Scene 4, why is Billy Herndon disappointed with Lincoln?
(a) Lincoln is an unsuccessful lawyer and the firm is losing money.
(b) Lincoln is considering buying slaves.
(c) Lincoln won't speak out in a fiery way for his own beliefs.
(d) Lincoln is courting more than one woman at a time.
3. What is Lincoln's new attitude toward God after Ann's death?
(a) He can't pray to a God that needlessly allowed Ann to die.
(b) He becomes an atheist.
(c) He knows if he had prayed day and night, Ann would have lived.
(d) He accepts that "the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away."
4. In Act 2, Scene 7, what is the fear Seth Gale has about traveling with Gobey?
(a) He's fearful Gobey's previous owner will appear to reclaim him.
(b) He believes Gobey is planning to escape on the Underground Railroad.
(c) He's careful to stay in free territory to avoid Gobey being kidnapped and sold into slavery.
(d) He's afraid to take Gobey across state borders because he doesn't have a passport.
5. Why does Lincoln return to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) Seth Gale summoned him with a letter.
(b) Ann Rutledge is sick.
(c) He has been kicked out of Springfiled for being drunk in public.
(d) The Greens have asked him to mediate in their divorce.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Ann's death such a setback to Lincoln?
2. What happens at the end of Act 2, Scene 4 that proves Lincoln's claim that he is a social success?
3. How does Lincoln conclude his prayer for the health of Jimmy Gale?
4. What is happening when Lincoln enters Rutledge Tavern to deliver mail?
5. What are three things Lincoln likes about Ann Rutledge?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)