|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lincoln and Mary Todd are getting married, yet he seems to be in despair. Why?
(a) He wants to break the engagement and leave Mary Todd at the altar.
(b) Mary Todd has written him a letter, breaking their engagement.
(c) Mary Todd has run off with Billy Herndon.
(d) He discovers he loves Elizabeth Edwards, not Mary Todd.
2. What are the Bowling Greens reading when Josh Speed arrives at their home in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) The Bourne Chronicles.
(b) The New York Review of Books.
(c) The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club.
(d) The Federalist Papers.
3. What is the local gossip in New Salem about Ann Rutledge?
(a) She is secretly a witch.
(b) She is in love with Abe Lincoln.
(c) She has been jilted by her fiance, who left town.
(d) She is in line for a job as the town's teacher.
4. What is Josh Speed's understanding of Lincoln's personality?
(a) Lincoln is a great fool with an odd understanding of the law.
(b) Lincoln can't control his manic-depressive episodes and constantly makes a fool of himself.
(c) Lincoln is obsessive-compulsive and can't stop counting fence posts.
(d) Lincoln is a hopeless hypochondriac who reads Hamlet.
5. What does Lincoln see on the boat from Quincy to Alton that shocks him?
(a) A woman with 12 children, begging for food.
(b) A dozen dancing girls, chained together, forced to entertain passengers.
(c) A dozen mules on shore, chained and being flogged.
(d) A dozen negroes, chained together, being shipped South to be sold.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Scene 2, Act 4, Lincoln receives a letter from his old friend, Seth Gale. What is Gale worrying about?
2. Does Lincoln agree, in Act 2, Scene 6, with Josh's suggestion about his mental health?
3. What is the true reason Lincoln wants to end the engagement with Mary Todd?
4. What is the purpose of Edwards' visit to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. Who is Ann Rutledge?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)