|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lincoln define his "own great duty?"
(a) He doesn't know what it is and he's tired of people nagging him about it.
(b) His duty is to mind his own business and he doesn't care what other people think.
(c) His duty is to defend the Constitution to the best of his understanding.
(d) He needs to go West and seize California from the Mexican government.
2. What is Lincoln's new attitude toward God after Ann's death?
(a) He becomes an atheist.
(b) He accepts that "the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away."
(c) He knows if he had prayed day and night, Ann would have lived.
(d) He can't pray to a God that needlessly allowed Ann to die.
3. What does Lincoln's companion think of Lincoln's plan for his wedding?
(a) He believes everything will work out fine, once Lincoln has a drink or two.
(b) He thinks Lincoln is being too brutal, at least in the way he intends to deliver the news.
(c) He's distressed and offers to deliver the news himself.
(d) He agrees that Lincoln is making the right decision, for the right reasons.
4. Billy Herndon, Lincoln's law clerk, arrives in Act 2, Scene 6. What is his condition?
(a) He's suffering from an early case of swine flu.
(b) He's drunk, as usual.
(c) He has quit drinking and is sober.
(d) He's debilitated by swamp fever.
5. Why is Ann's death such a setback to Lincoln?
(a) He depended on Ann's connections to the politically powerful in Washington.
(b) He fears any woman who loves him is doomed to an early death, like his mother.
(c) He doesn't feel he will be taken seriously as a candidate if he is single.
(d) Ann wrote his speeches; without her, he has nothing to say.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lincoln and Mary Todd are getting married, yet he seems to be in despair. Why?
2. In Scene 2, Act 4, Lincoln receives a letter from his old friend, Seth Gale. What is Gale worrying about?
3. In Act 2, Scene 7, what is the fear Seth Gale has about traveling with Gobey?
4. Ninian Andrews arrives at Lincoln's office and learns about a sad event. What is it?
5. What happens at the end of Act 2, Scene 4 that proves Lincoln's claim that he is a social success?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)