|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Billy Herndon?
(a) The boy who delivers mid-afternoon coffee and lottery tickets.
(b) A client of Lincoln's who is accused of murder.
(c) A law clerk in Lincoln's office.
(d) The illegitimate son of Josh Speed.
2. What is Billy Herndon's attitude toward Mary Todd on the day Lincoln is to be married?
(a) He is opposed to the marriage because he's heard bad things about Mary Todd's temper.
(b) He is too drunk to really care, but he makes an insincere toast to the couple's happiness.
(c) Herndon doesn't like Mary Todd, but he likes her ambitions for Lincoln.
(d) Herndon likes Mary Todd, but feels it will be a mistake for her to goad Lincoln into politics.
3. In Act 2, Scene 4, who arrives unexpectedly at Lincoln's office to visit?
(a) Bowling Green and Josh Speed.
(b) Seth Gale and Nancy Green.
(c) Bowling and Nancy Green.
(d) Ann Rutledge and Josh Speed.
4. What is the purpose of Edwards' visit to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) To bring law and order to New Salem.
(b) To recruit Lincoln to run for the State Assembly.
(c) To look at the Rutledge Tavern as an investment.
(d) To announce his own run for the presidency.
5. What do Josh Speed and Bowling Green think might be the result, if slavery spreads further across the South?
(a) Civil war might break out.
(b) The British would reassert power over the colonies.
(c) The South could overthrow the existing government and move the Capitol to Virginia.
(d) Lincoln could be drafted to head the military.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is happening when Lincoln enters Rutledge Tavern to deliver mail?
2. What is the name of Seth Gale's young son?
3. What reason does Lincoln give in Act 2, Scene 4 for turning down the opportunity to speak against slavery?
4. What is Josh Speed's understanding of Lincoln's personality?
5. What is the true reason Lincoln wants to end the engagement with Mary Todd?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)