|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the Bowling Greens reading when Josh Speed arrives at their home in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) The New York Review of Books.
(b) The Federalist Papers.
(c) The Bourne Chronicles.
(d) The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club.
2. What is it about the Gale family's plans that seems most important to Lincoln?
(a) The care they have for the nation and the possiblity they will abandon America if slavery spreads.
(b) Their big dreams for their son's future.
(c) The relationship they've developed with Gobey.
(d) The success they've achieved with the dry-cleaning business.
3. What has Lincoln been doing since breaking his engagement to Mary Todd?
(a) Just drifting, down around Kentucky and Indiana.
(b) Teaching down in Kentucky and Indiana.
(c) Practicing law and building a fortune.
(d) Studying to become a missionary preacher.
4. What does Billy Herndon urge Lincoln's friends to do, as Herndon leaves the office in Act 2, Scene 4?
(a) Dunk Lincoln in the river to wash away his stubborn streak.
(b) Introduce Lincoln to a good woman to marry.
(c) Take Lincoln out to dinner and get him drunk.
(d) Drag him out of the stagnant pool in which he is drowning himself.
5. On which holiday does Act 1, Scene 2 take place?
(a) Memorial Day.
(b) The Fourth of July.
(c) Labor Day.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who have Bowling Green, Ninian Edwards and Josh Speed come to New Salem to see?
2. Why does Lincoln return to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
3. In Scene 2, Act 4, Lincoln receives a letter from his old friend, Seth Gale. What is Gale worrying about?
4. Who is President of the United States at the time Edwards visits New Salem to meet Lincoln?
5. What is Billy Herndon's reaction to Lincoln's reasons for breaking off the engagement?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)