|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is President of the United States at the time Edwards visits New Salem to meet Lincoln?
(a) Alexander Hamilton.
(b) Andrew Jackson.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) John Glenn.
2. What has Lincoln been doing since breaking his engagement to Mary Todd?
(a) Practicing law and building a fortune.
(b) Studying to become a missionary preacher.
(c) Just drifting, down around Kentucky and Indiana.
(d) Teaching down in Kentucky and Indiana.
3. What, besides politics, does Lincoln have on his mind during the scene in the Rutledge Tavern?
(a) Asking town officials for a raise in his wages as postmaster.
(b) Taking over the family farm from his sick father.
(c) Running down to the town picnic for a piece of pie.
(d) Asking Ann Rutledge to consider him as a suitor.
4. What happens at the end of Act 2, Scene 4 that proves Lincoln's claim that he is a social success?
(a) Mary Todd sends Lincoln a thank-you note for a pleasant evening the previous week.
(b) Josh Speed introduces Lincoln to his sister.
(c) Nancy Green accepts a job as his social secretary to keep track of his dates.
(d) Ninian Edwards invites Lincoln home for dinner.
5. When Act 2, Scene 4 opens in Lincoln's Springfield law office, how much time has passed since the death of Ann Rutledge?
(a) Six months.
(b) Two years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Thirteen years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What piece of advice does Ninian Andrews give Lincoln concerning Mary Todd in Act 2, Scene 6?
2. What is the purpose of Edwards' visit to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. One of Lincoln's clients can't pay her bill; why does Lincoln think she is right not to pay?
4. What is the plan that Seth Gale and Lincoln have for their futures?
5. What is Lincoln's new attitude toward God after Ann's death?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)