|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lincoln conclude his prayer for the health of Jimmy Gale?
(a) "Grant us the will to fight for the vitality of our nation."
(b) "Give us the strength to bear the death of this young boy."
(c) "Grant this boy the breath to live long enough to bury his father."
(d) "Give us all strength, oh God, to do the work that is before us."
2. On which holiday does Act 1, Scene 2 take place?
(a) Memorial Day.
(b) Labor Day.
(d) The Fourth of July.
3. Who is President of the United States at the time Edwards visits New Salem to meet Lincoln?
(a) Alexander Hamilton.
(b) John Glenn.
(c) Andrew Jackson.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
4. Does Lincoln agree, in Act 2, Scene 6, with Josh's suggestion about his mental health?
(a) Yes, he knows he is losing his mind--that's why he wants to run away.
(b) He isn't sure, but he admits having hallucinations.
(c) Yes, he says he's at the end of his rope and must have release from the wedding.
(d) No, he believes he has good reasons for his decision.
5. According to Nancy Green in Act 1, Scene 3, why can't Lincoln face life without a woman by his side?
(a) Because he hears the whispers of the dead women in his life, including his mother, and he can't understand what the whispers mean.
(b) Because he goes into trances when under stress and needs someone to help him snap out of it.
(c) Because he hears voices in the night and they give him contradictory directions.
(d) Because he listens to strange voices that speak to him in church and they command him to do bad things.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Ann Rutledge?
2. Lincoln and Mary Todd are getting married, yet he seems to be in despair. Why?
3. What is the weather, as the Greens sit in their parlor, waiting for Abe to return from Ann Rutledge's home?
4. In Act 2, Scene 4, who arrives unexpectedly at Lincoln's office to visit?
5. What is Mary Todd's lifelong dream for herself?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)