|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Abe Lincoln staying while in New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) In a barn belonging to Josh Speed.
(b) At the home of Bowling and Nancy Green.
(c) With Ann Rutledge's family.
(d) In Rutledge's Tavern.
2. Lincoln and Mary Todd are getting married, yet he seems to be in despair. Why?
(a) He discovers he loves Elizabeth Edwards, not Mary Todd.
(b) Mary Todd has written him a letter, breaking their engagement.
(c) He wants to break the engagement and leave Mary Todd at the altar.
(d) Mary Todd has run off with Billy Herndon.
3. What does Lincoln's companion think of Lincoln's plan for his wedding?
(a) He agrees that Lincoln is making the right decision, for the right reasons.
(b) He believes everything will work out fine, once Lincoln has a drink or two.
(c) He's distressed and offers to deliver the news himself.
(d) He thinks Lincoln is being too brutal, at least in the way he intends to deliver the news.
4. What happens to Ann Rutledge?
(a) She meets a wealthy man, marries him and moves West.
(b) Bitten by a mosquito, she is paralzyed and left speechless.
(c) She dies of a brain sickness.
(d) She runs away to Chicago to attend law school.
5. Does Lincoln agree, in Act 2, Scene 6, with Josh's suggestion about his mental health?
(a) Yes, he knows he is losing his mind--that's why he wants to run away.
(b) No, he believes he has good reasons for his decision.
(c) Yes, he says he's at the end of his rope and must have release from the wedding.
(d) He isn't sure, but he admits having hallucinations.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Billy Herndon's attitude toward Mary Todd on the day Lincoln is to be married?
2. What is Josh Speed's request to the Greens as he departs at the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
3. What happens at the end of Act 2, Scene 4 that proves Lincoln's claim that he is a social success?
4. What is Lincoln's attitude about people before he meets Ann Rutledge?
5. What does Seth Gale's wife want for her sick son, besides the help of a doctor?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)