|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Billy Herndon?
(a) The illegitimate son of Josh Speed.
(b) The boy who delivers mid-afternoon coffee and lottery tickets.
(c) A law clerk in Lincoln's office.
(d) A client of Lincoln's who is accused of murder.
2. Who is Ninian Edwards?
(a) Son of the Illinois governor.
(b) A merchant passing through New Salem.
(c) Uncle of Elizabeth Edwards.
(d) Josh Speed's stepbrother.
3. Lincoln and Mary Todd are getting married, yet he seems to be in despair. Why?
(a) He discovers he loves Elizabeth Edwards, not Mary Todd.
(b) Mary Todd has run off with Billy Herndon.
(c) He wants to break the engagement and leave Mary Todd at the altar.
(d) Mary Todd has written him a letter, breaking their engagement.
4. What is the "good joke" Lincoln plans to tell Bowling Green at the end of Act 1, Scene 2 in the Rutledge Tavern?
(a) That Ann Rutledge has run off to marry Josh Speed.
(b) That a chicken crossed the road to get to the other side.
(c) That he will be a candidate for the assembly of the State of Illinois.
(d) That Jack Armstrong, of the Clancy Groves boys, will run for the State Assembly.
5. How much would Lincoln be paid as a member of the legislature?
(a) $3 a day.
(b) $5 a day.
(c) Nothing, it's a volunteer job.
(d) $2.50 a day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lincoln's initial response to the idea of running for office?
2. What is Mary Todd's lifelong dream for herself?
3. In Act 2, Scene 7, what is the fear Seth Gale has about traveling with Gobey?
4. What does Lincoln do at the end of Act 2, Scene 6?
5. What does Lincoln's companion think of Lincoln's plan for his wedding?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)