|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the true reason Lincoln wants to end the engagement with Mary Todd?
(a) He hates her ambitions for him and doesn't want to be driven to achieve her goals for the rest of his life.
(b) She has taken to wearing spurs and brandishing a whip when they are alone.
(c) He believes she really wants to marry Stephen Douglas.
(d) He knows he is losing his mind and wants to spare her from sharing his pain.
2. In Scene 2, Act 4, Lincoln receives a letter from his old friend, Seth Gale. What is Gale worrying about?
(a) The prospect of his father's death and the debts he will inherit.
(b) Gale's property taxes are going sky-high to pay for liberation of the slaves.
(c) The possible annexation of Texas, which would result in the extension of slavery through all the territories.
(d) His wife's increasingly bizarre behavior.
3. What is happening when Lincoln enters Rutledge Tavern to deliver mail?
(a) A local bully is angling for a fight with Ninian Edwards.
(b) The Clancy Groves boys are buying a round of whiskey for everyone.
(c) Ben Mattling is having a heart attack.
(d) The Clancy Groves boys have the judge trapped behind the bar.
4. Where does Seth Gale intend to settle his family?
(c) New Mexico.
5. What are the Bowling Greens reading when Josh Speed arrives at their home in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) The Bourne Chronicles.
(b) The Federalist Papers.
(c) The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club.
(d) The New York Review of Books.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy Herndon urge Lincoln's friends to do, as Herndon leaves the office in Act 2, Scene 4?
2. What is the name of Seth Gale's young son?
3. What is Billy Herndon's reaction to Lincoln's reasons for breaking off the engagement?
4. What reason does Lincoln give in Act 2, Scene 4 for turning down the opportunity to speak against slavery?
5. What is it about the Gale family's plans that seems most important to Lincoln?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)