|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lincoln return to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) Ann Rutledge is sick.
(b) Seth Gale summoned him with a letter.
(c) The Greens have asked him to mediate in their divorce.
(d) He has been kicked out of Springfiled for being drunk in public.
2. In Act 2, Scene 7, what is the fear Seth Gale has about traveling with Gobey?
(a) He believes Gobey is planning to escape on the Underground Railroad.
(b) He's fearful Gobey's previous owner will appear to reclaim him.
(c) He's careful to stay in free territory to avoid Gobey being kidnapped and sold into slavery.
(d) He's afraid to take Gobey across state borders because he doesn't have a passport.
3. Lincoln tells Josh Speed to give his letter for Mary Todd to Herndon to deliver. How does Josh respond?
(a) He throws the letter into the fire in the stove.
(b) He gives the letter to Herndon.
(c) He rips the letter into tiny pieces and throws them on the floor.
(d) He runs out the door with the letter.
4. What is Lincoln's new attitude toward God after Ann's death?
(a) He can't pray to a God that needlessly allowed Ann to die.
(b) He becomes an atheist.
(c) He accepts that "the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away."
(d) He knows if he had prayed day and night, Ann would have lived.
5. Lincoln and Mary Todd are getting married, yet he seems to be in despair. Why?
(a) He discovers he loves Elizabeth Edwards, not Mary Todd.
(b) He wants to break the engagement and leave Mary Todd at the altar.
(c) Mary Todd has run off with Billy Herndon.
(d) Mary Todd has written him a letter, breaking their engagement.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the true reason Lincoln wants to end the engagement with Mary Todd?
2. What does Lincoln do that impresses Ninian Edwards in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. What do Josh Speed and Bowling Green think might be the result, if slavery spreads further across the South?
4. According to Nancy Green in Act 1, Scene 3, why can't Lincoln face life without a woman by his side?
5. Does Lincoln agree, in Act 2, Scene 6, with Josh's suggestion about his mental health?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)