|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the true reason Lincoln wants to end the engagement with Mary Todd?
(a) He hates her ambitions for him and doesn't want to be driven to achieve her goals for the rest of his life.
(b) He knows he is losing his mind and wants to spare her from sharing his pain.
(c) He believes she really wants to marry Stephen Douglas.
(d) She has taken to wearing spurs and brandishing a whip when they are alone.
2. What is Billy Herndon's attitude toward Mary Todd on the day Lincoln is to be married?
(a) He is opposed to the marriage because he's heard bad things about Mary Todd's temper.
(b) He is too drunk to really care, but he makes an insincere toast to the couple's happiness.
(c) Herndon likes Mary Todd, but feels it will be a mistake for her to goad Lincoln into politics.
(d) Herndon doesn't like Mary Todd, but he likes her ambitions for Lincoln.
3. In Scene 2, Act 4, what office is Lincoln seeking?
(a) Springfield's combined office of dogcatcher and postmaster.
(b) President of the United States.
(c) President of the Springfield School Board.
(d) Member of the Electoral College.
4. What are the Bowling Greens reading when Josh Speed arrives at their home in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) The New York Review of Books.
(b) The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club.
(c) The Bourne Chronicles.
(d) The Federalist Papers.
5. Who is President of the United States at the time Edwards visits New Salem to meet Lincoln?
(a) Alexander Hamilton.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) Andrew Jackson.
(d) John Glenn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Billy Herndon?
2. How does Lincoln define his "own great duty?"
3. What does Lincoln do at the end of Act 2, Scene 6?
4. What is Josh Speed's understanding of Lincoln's personality?
5. Who have Bowling Green, Ninian Edwards and Josh Speed come to New Salem to see?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)