|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ann's love do for Lincoln?
(a) Her love makes him weak at the knees and fuzzy in his thoughts; he knows he can't make anything of himself.
(b) Her love makes him irritable because she is so needy.
(c) Her love inspires him to write great poetry.
(d) Her love makes him believe in God, believe that all things are possible, and he can do anything he wants.
2. Where is Abe Lincoln staying while in New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) At the home of Bowling and Nancy Green.
(b) In a barn belonging to Josh Speed.
(c) In Rutledge's Tavern.
(d) With Ann Rutledge's family.
3. Billy Herndon, Lincoln's law clerk, arrives in Act 2, Scene 6. What is his condition?
(a) He's debilitated by swamp fever.
(b) He's drunk, as usual.
(c) He has quit drinking and is sober.
(d) He's suffering from an early case of swine flu.
4. Lincoln tells Josh Speed to give his letter for Mary Todd to Herndon to deliver. How does Josh respond?
(a) He gives the letter to Herndon.
(b) He throws the letter into the fire in the stove.
(c) He rips the letter into tiny pieces and throws them on the floor.
(d) He runs out the door with the letter.
5. How does the playwright describe the appearance of Stephen Douglas as he takes the stage to debate Lincoln?
(a) "He is a titan, with a voice that rolls like thunder."
(b) "The judge is an elfin man, with a voice to match."
(c) "He is a brief but magnetic man, confident of his power."
(d) "Muscular and tall, Judge Douglas commands attention with his merest glance."
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Bowling Greens reading when Josh Speed arrives at their home in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. Who is with Lincoln at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 6?
3. What is the weather, as the Greens sit in their parlor, waiting for Abe to return from Ann Rutledge's home?
4. What is Josh Speed's understanding of Lincoln's personality?
5. Does Lincoln agree, in Act 2, Scene 6, with Josh's suggestion about his mental health?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)