|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the Bowling Greens reading when Josh Speed arrives at their home in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club.
(b) The Bourne Chronicles.
(c) The Federalist Papers.
(d) The New York Review of Books.
2. Does Lincoln agree, in Act 2, Scene 6, with Josh's suggestion about his mental health?
(a) He isn't sure, but he admits having hallucinations.
(b) Yes, he knows he is losing his mind--that's why he wants to run away.
(c) No, he believes he has good reasons for his decision.
(d) Yes, he says he's at the end of his rope and must have release from the wedding.
3. What is Josh Speed's request to the Greens as he departs at the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) He asks them to keep Lincoln with them and not let him out of their sight.
(b) He requests they accompany Lincoln to Springfield for opening of the Legislature.
(c) He asks them to call a physician to treat Lincoln's stress.
(d) He wants them to take copious notes about Lincoln's mood.
4. What is Josh Speed's understanding of Lincoln's personality?
(a) Lincoln is a hopeless hypochondriac who reads Hamlet.
(b) Lincoln is obsessive-compulsive and can't stop counting fence posts.
(c) Lincoln can't control his manic-depressive episodes and constantly makes a fool of himself.
(d) Lincoln is a great fool with an odd understanding of the law.
5. What is Bowling Green's attitude toward the possibility of Lincoln marrying Ann Rutledge?
(a) He's all for the marriage; he thinks Ann will keep Lincoln on track.
(b) He's for the marriage; Ann's family has a lot of money to spend on campaigns.
(c) He is against the marriage; he knows Ann has been seeing someone else.
(d) Judge Green is against it; he thinks Ann will be a hindrance to Lincoln.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lincoln suggests he wants to die in Act 1, Scene 3, how do his friends respond?
2. Why does Lincoln return to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
3. Ninian Andrews arrives at Lincoln's office and learns about a sad event. What is it?
4. What is Billy Herndon's attitude toward Mary Todd on the day Lincoln is to be married?
5. What is the true reason Lincoln wants to end the engagement with Mary Todd?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)