|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 6, Lincoln sits at his desk on the day he is to be married. What day of the year is it?
(a) The Fourth of July.
(b) Thanksgiving Day.
(c) New Year's Day.
(d) Christmas Day.
2. What is Lincoln's new attitude toward God after Ann's death?
(a) He accepts that "the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away."
(b) He knows if he had prayed day and night, Ann would have lived.
(c) He becomes an atheist.
(d) He can't pray to a God that needlessly allowed Ann to die.
3. According to Nancy Green in Act 1, Scene 3, why can't Lincoln face life without a woman by his side?
(a) Because he goes into trances when under stress and needs someone to help him snap out of it.
(b) Because he listens to strange voices that speak to him in church and they command him to do bad things.
(c) Because he hears the whispers of the dead women in his life, including his mother, and he can't understand what the whispers mean.
(d) Because he hears voices in the night and they give him contradictory directions.
4. What happens to Ann Rutledge?
(a) She dies of a brain sickness.
(b) Bitten by a mosquito, she is paralzyed and left speechless.
(c) She meets a wealthy man, marries him and moves West.
(d) She runs away to Chicago to attend law school.
5. How does the playwright describe the appearance of Stephen Douglas as he takes the stage to debate Lincoln?
(a) "Muscular and tall, Judge Douglas commands attention with his merest glance."
(b) "He is a titan, with a voice that rolls like thunder."
(c) "The judge is an elfin man, with a voice to match."
(d) "He is a brief but magnetic man, confident of his power."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the wedding gift Ninian has brought Abe?
2. What advice does Josh Speed give Lincoln regarding his mental health?
3. In the debate, Douglas says Lincoln appears innocent but is very good at doing something dangerous with his words. What is it?
4. What distinction does Lincoln draw between the slaves and downtrodden workers in the North?
5. What is Lincoln's attitude about people before he meets Ann Rutledge?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)