|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lincoln do at the end of Act 2, Scene 6?
(a) He leaves to break off his engagement in person.
(b) He writes another letter, telling Mary Todd he hates her.
(c) He leaves town without informing Mary Todd.
(d) He decides he must go through with the wedding.
2. How does Act 1, Scene 3, in which Ann Rutledge dies, come to an end?
(a) The scene ends when Lincoln stumbles offstage, leaving his friends worried about his fate.
(b) The scene concludes with Lincoln on his knees in the attic, sobbing.
(c) The scene ends with a prayer spoken by Nancy Green.
(d) The scene ends with only a beam of light from Abe's attic illuminating the stage.
3. What distinction does Lincoln draw between the slaves and downtrodden workers in the North?
(a) The workers live with harsh winters, the slaves do not.
(b) Slaves live on plantations, workers live in cities.
(c) The workers have the right to strike, slaves do not.
(d) The slaves can run away, the workers cannot.
4. Where is Abe Lincoln staying while in New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) In a barn belonging to Josh Speed.
(b) With Ann Rutledge's family.
(c) In Rutledge's Tavern.
(d) At the home of Bowling and Nancy Green.
5. When Lincoln suggests he wants to die in Act 1, Scene 3, how do his friends respond?
(a) They promise to introduce him to other women.
(b) They fall to their knees and beg him to reconsider.
(c) They insist he stay and try to get some sleep.
(d) They agree that it might be best if he dies.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Nancy Green in Act 1, Scene 3, why can't Lincoln face life without a woman by his side?
2. Lincoln tells Josh Speed to give his letter for Mary Todd to Herndon to deliver. How does Josh respond?
3. To which of Shakespeare's characters does Douglas compare Lincoln?
4. In Act 2, Scene 6, Lincoln sits at his desk on the day he is to be married. What day of the year is it?
5. Does Lincoln agree, in Act 2, Scene 6, with Josh's suggestion about his mental health?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)