|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Lincoln agree, in Act 2, Scene 6, with Josh's suggestion about his mental health?
(a) No, he believes he has good reasons for his decision.
(b) He isn't sure, but he admits having hallucinations.
(c) Yes, he says he's at the end of his rope and must have release from the wedding.
(d) Yes, he knows he is losing his mind--that's why he wants to run away.
2. When Lincoln suggests he wants to die in Act 1, Scene 3, how do his friends respond?
(a) They insist he stay and try to get some sleep.
(b) They agree that it might be best if he dies.
(c) They promise to introduce him to other women.
(d) They fall to their knees and beg him to reconsider.
3. Lincoln and Mary Todd are getting married, yet he seems to be in despair. Why?
(a) He wants to break the engagement and leave Mary Todd at the altar.
(b) Mary Todd has written him a letter, breaking their engagement.
(c) He discovers he loves Elizabeth Edwards, not Mary Todd.
(d) Mary Todd has run off with Billy Herndon.
4. Why does Lincoln return to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) He has been kicked out of Springfiled for being drunk in public.
(b) Seth Gale summoned him with a letter.
(c) The Greens have asked him to mediate in their divorce.
(d) Ann Rutledge is sick.
5. How does the weather complement Lincoln's mood when he arrives at the home of the Greens' with news of Ann's death?
(a) The weather is as clear as his conscience.
(b) A blizzard settles in, reflecting the cold that has settled in his heart.
(c) The weather is as stormy as his mood.
(d) The wind howls in agony along with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is with Lincoln at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 6?
2. What distinction does Lincoln draw between the slaves and downtrodden workers in the North?
3. Lincoln tells Josh Speed to give his letter for Mary Todd to Herndon to deliver. How does Josh respond?
4. What is Mary Todd's lifelong dream for herself?
5. Why is Ann's death such a setback to Lincoln?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)