|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the Bowling Greens reading when Josh Speed arrives at their home in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club.
(b) The New York Review of Books.
(c) The Federalist Papers.
(d) The Bourne Chronicles.
2. Why is Ann's death such a setback to Lincoln?
(a) He doesn't feel he will be taken seriously as a candidate if he is single.
(b) He depended on Ann's connections to the politically powerful in Washington.
(c) Ann wrote his speeches; without her, he has nothing to say.
(d) He fears any woman who loves him is doomed to an early death, like his mother.
3. What is Lincoln's attitude about people before he meets Ann Rutledge?
(a) Getting close to others is the best antidote in the world to loneliness.
(b) All people are to a degree insane, but that shouldn't stop one from getting close to them.
(c) The best thing is to take a vow of silence in order not to be bothered by fools.
(d) It's best not to get too close to people; they see the insanity behind the surface.
4. What is Mary Todd's lifelong dream for herself?
(a) That she will live a simple life, raising children.
(b) That she will be able to nominate Supreme Court justices.
(c) That she will become President of the United States.
(d) That she will marry the President of the United States.
5. What is Lincoln's new attitude toward God after Ann's death?
(a) He can't pray to a God that needlessly allowed Ann to die.
(b) He becomes an atheist.
(c) He accepts that "the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away."
(d) He knows if he had prayed day and night, Ann would have lived.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lincoln feel after Ann's death?
2. What is the true reason Lincoln wants to end the engagement with Mary Todd?
3. What is Josh Speed's request to the Greens as he departs at the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
4. What piece of advice does Ninian Andrews give Lincoln concerning Mary Todd in Act 2, Scene 6?
5. According to Josh, how is Lincoln doing in the State Assembly?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)