|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lincoln's new attitude toward God after Ann's death?
(a) He can't pray to a God that needlessly allowed Ann to die.
(b) He becomes an atheist.
(c) He accepts that "the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away."
(d) He knows if he had prayed day and night, Ann would have lived.
2. What are the railroad workers in Illinois doing, according to Douglas, to protest their low wages?
(a) Nothing--they can't afford to offend their employers.
(b) Looking for jobs in other industries.
(c) They are striking, refusing to work.
(d) They are marching, singing "I've been working on the railroad."
3. Where is Abe Lincoln staying while in New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) In Rutledge's Tavern.
(b) In a barn belonging to Josh Speed.
(c) At the home of Bowling and Nancy Green.
(d) With Ann Rutledge's family.
4. How does Act 1, Scene 3, in which Ann Rutledge dies, come to an end?
(a) The scene ends when Lincoln stumbles offstage, leaving his friends worried about his fate.
(b) The scene ends with a prayer spoken by Nancy Green.
(c) The scene ends with only a beam of light from Abe's attic illuminating the stage.
(d) The scene concludes with Lincoln on his knees in the attic, sobbing.
5. Lincoln and Mary Todd are getting married, yet he seems to be in despair. Why?
(a) He wants to break the engagement and leave Mary Todd at the altar.
(b) He discovers he loves Elizabeth Edwards, not Mary Todd.
(c) Mary Todd has run off with Billy Herndon.
(d) Mary Todd has written him a letter, breaking their engagement.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lincoln do at the end of Act 2, Scene 6?
2. What is Josh Speed's request to the Greens as he departs at the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
3. Why does Lincoln return to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
4. What does Ann's love do for Lincoln?
5. According to Nancy Green in Act 1, Scene 3, why can't Lincoln face life without a woman by his side?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)