|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the weather complement Lincoln's mood when he arrives at the home of the Greens' with news of Ann's death?
(a) The weather is as clear as his conscience.
(b) The wind howls in agony along with him.
(c) The weather is as stormy as his mood.
(d) A blizzard settles in, reflecting the cold that has settled in his heart.
2. What is Mary Todd's lifelong dream for herself?
(a) That she will live a simple life, raising children.
(b) That she will become President of the United States.
(c) That she will marry the President of the United States.
(d) That she will be able to nominate Supreme Court justices.
3. What is Lincoln's attitude about people before he meets Ann Rutledge?
(a) It's best not to get too close to people; they see the insanity behind the surface.
(b) Getting close to others is the best antidote in the world to loneliness.
(c) All people are to a degree insane, but that shouldn't stop one from getting close to them.
(d) The best thing is to take a vow of silence in order not to be bothered by fools.
4. When Lincoln suggests he wants to die in Act 1, Scene 3, how do his friends respond?
(a) They fall to their knees and beg him to reconsider.
(b) They promise to introduce him to other women.
(c) They insist he stay and try to get some sleep.
(d) They agree that it might be best if he dies.
5. Ninian Andrews arrives at Lincoln's office and learns about a sad event. What is it?
(a) The death of Lincoln's friend, Bowling Green.
(b) Lincoln's dog, Rufus, has been killed in a hunting mishap.
(c) Jack Armstrong is in jail for murder.
(d) Seth Gale's mother is dead of malaria.
Short Answer Questions
1. Douglas accuses Lincoln of having sympathy for slaves but no sympathy for another suffering group of people. Who are they?
2. What does Lincoln's companion think of Lincoln's plan for his wedding?
3. How does the playwright describe the appearance of Stephen Douglas as he takes the stage to debate Lincoln?
4. What does Lincoln do with his notes before he begins speaking in the debate with Douglas?
5. What is Billy Herndon's reaction to Lincoln's reasons for breaking off the engagement?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)