|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To which of Shakespeare's characters does Douglas compare Lincoln?
2. According to Josh, how is Lincoln doing in the State Assembly?
(a) Fabulously well; he's shown himself to be a natural leader.
(b) Not well; he sits and draws his three dollars a day without paying attention.
(c) Not well; he's been rabble-rousing with speeches against slavery.
(d) Great; he's getting kickbacks for legislation he sponsors.
3. What does Lincoln do with his notes before he begins speaking in the debate with Douglas?
(a) Puts them on the podium.
(b) Puts them in his hat.
(c) Sticks them under his chair.
(d) Rips them to pieces.
4. In Act 2, Scene 6, Lincoln sits at his desk on the day he is to be married. What day of the year is it?
(a) New Year's Day.
(b) Christmas Day.
(c) The Fourth of July.
(d) Thanksgiving Day.
5. Ninian Andrews arrives at Lincoln's office and learns about a sad event. What is it?
(a) The death of Lincoln's friend, Bowling Green.
(b) Seth Gale's mother is dead of malaria.
(c) Lincoln's dog, Rufus, has been killed in a hunting mishap.
(d) Jack Armstrong is in jail for murder.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the debate, Douglas says Lincoln appears innocent but is very good at doing something dangerous with his words. What is it?
2. What is Lincoln's attitude about people before he meets Ann Rutledge?
3. What is Josh Speed's understanding of Lincoln's personality?
4. Douglas accuses Lincoln of having sympathy for slaves but no sympathy for another suffering group of people. Who are they?
5. How does Lincoln feel after Ann's death?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)