|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Douglas accuses Lincoln of having sympathy for slaves but no sympathy for another suffering group of people. Who are they?
(a) Auto workers in Detroit.
(b) Seamstresses on the East Coast.
(c) Textile workers in the North.
(d) Windsurfers in Hawaii.
2. In Act 2, Scene 6, Lincoln sits at his desk on the day he is to be married. What day of the year is it?
(a) Thanksgiving Day.
(b) Christmas Day.
(c) New Year's Day.
(d) The Fourth of July.
3. What piece of advice does Ninian Andrews give Lincoln concerning Mary Todd in Act 2, Scene 6?
(a) He suggests giving in to her every whim in order to keep life happy.
(b) He says Lincoln should keep a tight rein on her ambitions and delusions of grandeur.
(c) He says Lincoln should always follow her advice because she has a good head for politics.
(d) He tells Lincoln that Mary Todd should be committed to a hospital.
4. According to Josh, how is Lincoln doing in the State Assembly?
(a) Not well; he sits and draws his three dollars a day without paying attention.
(b) Fabulously well; he's shown himself to be a natural leader.
(c) Not well; he's been rabble-rousing with speeches against slavery.
(d) Great; he's getting kickbacks for legislation he sponsors.
5. Lincoln and Mary Todd are getting married, yet he seems to be in despair. Why?
(a) Mary Todd has written him a letter, breaking their engagement.
(b) Mary Todd has run off with Billy Herndon.
(c) He discovers he loves Elizabeth Edwards, not Mary Todd.
(d) He wants to break the engagement and leave Mary Todd at the altar.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lincoln intend to communicate his intentions to Mary Todd?
2. Ninian Andrews arrives at Lincoln's office and learns about a sad event. What is it?
3. What does Lincoln do with his notes before he begins speaking in the debate with Douglas?
4. Does Lincoln agree, in Act 2, Scene 6, with Josh's suggestion about his mental health?
5. What does Lincoln do at the end of Act 2, Scene 6?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)