|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Billy Herndon, Lincoln's law clerk, arrives in Act 2, Scene 6. What is his condition?
(a) He has quit drinking and is sober.
(b) He's debilitated by swamp fever.
(c) He's drunk, as usual.
(d) He's suffering from an early case of swine flu.
2. Who is with Lincoln at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 6?
(a) Seth Gale.
(b) Ann Rutledge.
(c) Bowling Green.
(d) Josh Speed.
3. What is Billy Herndon's attitude toward Mary Todd on the day Lincoln is to be married?
(a) Herndon doesn't like Mary Todd, but he likes her ambitions for Lincoln.
(b) He is opposed to the marriage because he's heard bad things about Mary Todd's temper.
(c) He is too drunk to really care, but he makes an insincere toast to the couple's happiness.
(d) Herndon likes Mary Todd, but feels it will be a mistake for her to goad Lincoln into politics.
4. What is Billy Herndon's reaction to Lincoln's reasons for breaking off the engagement?
(a) He is gobsmacked, but he helps Lincoln write another letter.
(b) He is stunned and speechless. He finishes off the bottle in his pocket.
(c) Herndon says Lincoln is really trying to escape his own failure to serve the country.
(d) Herndon agrees that Mary Todd is a witch and says he's glad Lincoln changed his mind.
5. According to Josh, how is Lincoln doing in the State Assembly?
(a) Great; he's getting kickbacks for legislation he sponsors.
(b) Not well; he sits and draws his three dollars a day without paying attention.
(c) Not well; he's been rabble-rousing with speeches against slavery.
(d) Fabulously well; he's shown himself to be a natural leader.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Abe Lincoln staying while in New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. What piece of advice does Ninian Andrews give Lincoln concerning Mary Todd in Act 2, Scene 6?
3. What is the true reason Lincoln wants to end the engagement with Mary Todd?
4. What are the railroad workers in Illinois doing, according to Douglas, to protest their low wages?
5. Why is Ann's death such a setback to Lincoln?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)