|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Billy Herndon's attitude toward Mary Todd on the day Lincoln is to be married?
(a) He is too drunk to really care, but he makes an insincere toast to the couple's happiness.
(b) Herndon doesn't like Mary Todd, but he likes her ambitions for Lincoln.
(c) Herndon likes Mary Todd, but feels it will be a mistake for her to goad Lincoln into politics.
(d) He is opposed to the marriage because he's heard bad things about Mary Todd's temper.
2. What is Lincoln's attitude about people before he meets Ann Rutledge?
(a) The best thing is to take a vow of silence in order not to be bothered by fools.
(b) It's best not to get too close to people; they see the insanity behind the surface.
(c) All people are to a degree insane, but that shouldn't stop one from getting close to them.
(d) Getting close to others is the best antidote in the world to loneliness.
3. In the debate, Douglas says Lincoln appears innocent but is very good at doing something dangerous with his words. What is it?
(a) Tossing verbal lightning bolts with lethal force.
(b) Inserting daggers between an opponent's ribs.
(c) Aiming verbal volleys with the accuracy of a sharpshooter.
(d) Flinging words like David flung stones.
4. What are the railroad workers in Illinois doing, according to Douglas, to protest their low wages?
(a) Nothing--they can't afford to offend their employers.
(b) They are marching, singing "I've been working on the railroad."
(c) They are striking, refusing to work.
(d) Looking for jobs in other industries.
5. According to Josh, how is Lincoln doing in the State Assembly?
(a) Not well; he sits and draws his three dollars a day without paying attention.
(b) Great; he's getting kickbacks for legislation he sponsors.
(c) Fabulously well; he's shown himself to be a natural leader.
(d) Not well; he's been rabble-rousing with speeches against slavery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Josh Speed give Lincoln regarding his mental health?
2. Why does Lincoln return to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
3. What does Ann's love do for Lincoln?
4. What is Josh Speed's understanding of Lincoln's personality?
5. Who is with Lincoln at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 6?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)