|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the debate, Douglas says Lincoln appears innocent but is very good at doing something dangerous with his words. What is it?
(a) Flinging words like David flung stones.
(b) Tossing verbal lightning bolts with lethal force.
(c) Aiming verbal volleys with the accuracy of a sharpshooter.
(d) Inserting daggers between an opponent's ribs.
2. What is Josh Speed's request to the Greens as he departs at the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) He requests they accompany Lincoln to Springfield for opening of the Legislature.
(b) He wants them to take copious notes about Lincoln's mood.
(c) He asks them to call a physician to treat Lincoln's stress.
(d) He asks them to keep Lincoln with them and not let him out of their sight.
3. In Act 2, Scene 6, Lincoln sits at his desk on the day he is to be married. What day of the year is it?
(a) The Fourth of July.
(b) Christmas Day.
(c) New Year's Day.
(d) Thanksgiving Day.
4. According to Josh, how is Lincoln doing in the State Assembly?
(a) Not well; he's been rabble-rousing with speeches against slavery.
(b) Not well; he sits and draws his three dollars a day without paying attention.
(c) Great; he's getting kickbacks for legislation he sponsors.
(d) Fabulously well; he's shown himself to be a natural leader.
5. What is Billy Herndon's attitude toward Mary Todd on the day Lincoln is to be married?
(a) He is too drunk to really care, but he makes an insincere toast to the couple's happiness.
(b) Herndon likes Mary Todd, but feels it will be a mistake for her to goad Lincoln into politics.
(c) He is opposed to the marriage because he's heard bad things about Mary Todd's temper.
(d) Herndon doesn't like Mary Todd, but he likes her ambitions for Lincoln.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the moderator of the debate between Lincoln and Douglas?
2. What piece of advice does Ninian Andrews give Lincoln concerning Mary Todd in Act 2, Scene 6?
3. What is the weather, as the Greens sit in their parlor, waiting for Abe to return from Ann Rutledge's home?
4. What institution does Douglas use to bolster his argument that negroes are not equal under the Constitution?
5. Why does Lincoln return to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)