|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is with Lincoln at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 6?
(a) Seth Gale.
(b) Ann Rutledge.
(c) Bowling Green.
(d) Josh Speed.
2. In Act 2, Scene 6, Lincoln sits at his desk on the day he is to be married. What day of the year is it?
(a) The Fourth of July.
(b) New Year's Day.
(c) Christmas Day.
(d) Thanksgiving Day.
3. In the debate, Douglas says Lincoln appears innocent but is very good at doing something dangerous with his words. What is it?
(a) Flinging words like David flung stones.
(b) Inserting daggers between an opponent's ribs.
(c) Aiming verbal volleys with the accuracy of a sharpshooter.
(d) Tossing verbal lightning bolts with lethal force.
4. Lincoln and Mary Todd are getting married, yet he seems to be in despair. Why?
(a) Mary Todd has run off with Billy Herndon.
(b) He wants to break the engagement and leave Mary Todd at the altar.
(c) He discovers he loves Elizabeth Edwards, not Mary Todd.
(d) Mary Todd has written him a letter, breaking their engagement.
5. What does Lincoln do at the end of Act 2, Scene 6?
(a) He leaves town without informing Mary Todd.
(b) He writes another letter, telling Mary Todd he hates her.
(c) He decides he must go through with the wedding.
(d) He leaves to break off his engagement in person.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bowling Green's attitude toward the possibility of Lincoln marrying Ann Rutledge?
2. What is Lincoln's new attitude toward God after Ann's death?
3. How does the weather complement Lincoln's mood when he arrives at the home of the Greens' with news of Ann's death?
4. Billy Herndon, Lincoln's law clerk, arrives in Act 2, Scene 6. What is his condition?
5. Why does Lincoln return to New Salem in Act 1, Scene 3?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)