|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As he climbs closer to a bog, he notices not just berries, but also the many _______________ that will later come into season.
2. In "Beginnings," the author tells us that he has what kind of contact with the outside world?
3. While the author is working on building the new outhouse, what must he make a trip into town to get?
4. After running in "September 27 Starting a Sugar Shack," how does the author feel?
5. What does the author reflect on as he gathers bunches of berries?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place in "September 20 Clearcuts"?
2. What is the purpose of "Beginnings"?
3. What do the author and his son do together in "Early September"? What does this reveal about them?
4. How does the author feel about his housemates in "October 7 Housemates"? Why?
5. What takes place in "August 14 Whispers of Fall"?
6. How does Jack act like other ravens? How does the author predict this?
7. What takes place in "The Time of Birdsong"? Why is this important to the author?
8. What does the author do to prepare for winter in "June 12 Early Harvests"?
9. Why does chopping wood make the author happy? What does this reveal about him?
10. What is Adam's Hill? What is the purpose of the information about Adam's Hill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stuart, the author's son, visits him several times at the cabin.
Part 1) Describe their visits together. What do these visits reveal about each of them? What do they reveal about their relationship? Do you believe the author spends enough time with his son? Is this a healthy relationship between a parent and a child? Why or why not?
Part 2) How would you feel if your parents divorced and one of them left to live in another state? How might this affect you and your relationship with your parents?
Part 3) What are your thoughts on divorce and the actions of parents regarding their children? Can children of divorce lead healthy lives? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author goes for many runs.
Part 1) Describe these runs. Why does the author choose to go on these runs? Why are they important to him? What do they reveal about him?
Part 2) How are his runs tied to other events in this book? What else is important to the author while he is living in the cabin? Why?
Part 3) What activities do you participate in? Why? What do they reveal about you? How are they important to you and your life?
Essay Topic 3
The author gets close to several animals.
Part 1) Describe these encounters. How does the author feel about these encounters? Why does he feel this way? What does this reveal about him?
Part 2) How else does the author grow closer to nature? Why? How might this affect him after he leaves the cabin?
Part 3) Why might it be important for all people to get more in touch with nature? How could this affect our communities and our planet as a whole?
This section contains 1,363 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)