|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises the author about the firefly larva which he finds on his way to the cabin?
(a) It is glowing just like the adult.
(b) It is the same size as the adult.
(c) It is nothing like the adult.
(d) It is identical to the adult.
2. According to the author, where do the most successful nest builders place their nests?
(a) Near the ground.
(b) In the most unlikely places.
(c) In high trees.
(d) On his roof.
3. In "January 20 Coyotes," what is the man, which the author just happens upon, doing?
(a) Chasing and killing coyotes with his dogs.
(b) Hunting deer.
(c) Trying to find his way home.
4. What does the author do before cooking and eating the fish that he and his neighbor catch?
(a) He tests them for disease.
(b) He dissects them.
(c) He studies them.
(d) He sketches them.
5. What happens when the author comes down from the tree and onto the ground?
(a) The deer walks away.
(b) The deer comes to him.
(c) The deer stays frozen.
(d) The deer runs away.
Short Answer Questions
1. After thinking about some bizarre encounters that he recently had with the logging company, what does the author decide?
2. The author notes how perceptive the ravens are to _____________.
3. On the way back to the car, what does the author find?
4. When the author goes for a walk in his snowshoes, what does he observe?
5. In "April 21," the author and Stuart, his son, take ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does he author say about his favorite season? Why might he feel this way?
2. What takes place in "January 5 Bog Trip"? How might this affect the students?
3. How does the author deal with his "cabin fever"?
4. Describe the author's walk in "April 28 Free Search." Why does he do this?
5. How does the book come to an end? After a year of living in the woods, how does the author feel about his life there? Why?
6. What does the author notice in "December 3"?
7. What is taking place in "March 13 Storm Warnings"? Why do the people act and feel this way?
8. What experiment does the author perform with the squirrels? Why?
9. What does the author think of himself and his students in comparison to other people? Do you agree? Why or why not?
10. What takes place in "Cows"? What is your reaction to this? Why?
This section contains 1,245 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)