|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does the dear show fear?
(a) Yes, a great deal.
(c) Yes, a little.
(d) Yes, but very little.
2. How does the sample surprise the author?
(a) How many dangerous organisms live there.
(b) How dirty the water was.
(c) How much life is down there.
(d) How much pollution accompanied those organisms.
3. In "April 28 Free Search," the author goes on a nature walk _______________.
(a) Without paying attention to where he was.
(b) Without looking for anything in particular.
(c) Looking for something in particular.
(d) Without looking where he was going.
4. In "December 21," the author discovers that a local squirrel has stashed __________ all along the path.
5. When the author and his friend get to the stream, can any fish be found?
(b) Yes, a few.
(c) Yes, but not at first.
(d) Yes, many.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author notes the changing seasons and decides his favorite season is ____________.
2. The author dissects the cocoon and discovers a great deal about _____________.
3. In "January 6 A Discussion," what does the author notice that he might be a little odd for doing?
4. In his _______________ orchard he notices that below the snow, the mice had been active at gnawing away on the bark of the trees.
5. For what sound does the author still listen intently?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place in "March 31"? How might the author feel about this?
2. How does the author deal with his "cabin fever"?
3. How does the book come to an end? After a year of living in the woods, how does the author feel about his life there? Why?
4. What observations does the author make in "May 15 Weeds in Huckleberry Bog"? What might be the significance of this?
5. How does the author feel about the mice and flies? Why? How does this compare to how he feels about other animals?
6. What takes place in "Cows"? What is your reaction to this? Why?
7. Describe "April 20." Is the author's life a simple one? Why or why not?
8. Describe the author's walk in "April 28 Free Search." Why does he do this?
9. What takes place in "April 4 Returns"? Describe the author's attitude at this time.
10. What does the author say in "Moss Watch"? Why might he study moss?
This section contains 1,383 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)