|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the stump of an old __________ the author finds many wide, deep grub holes.
2. The author also writes about the miniature plants left over from _________that make their homes close to the ground?
(a) Previous generations of settlers.
(b) Previous ice ages.
(c) A couple of centuries ago.
(d) The previous owner of the cabin.
3. Whom does the author ask to go fishing with him in "May 4 Smelting"?
4. How does the author act with the townspeople?
(a) He jokes around with them.
(b) He is pleasant.
(c) He teases them.
(d) He ignores them.
5. In "March 25 Birch Seeds," how many birch seeds are shed by the tree?
Short Answer Questions
1. The author notes the changing seasons and decides his favorite season is ____________.
2. According to the farmer, how do most people use the dead calves?
3. Which bog is the author's favorite?
4. In the last section, "May 24 Graduation," the author makes the trip back to his university to see ________ graduate.
5. The author is intrigued that the grubs don't seem affected by __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How important are these fishing expeditions for the author? Why?
2. What does the author say in "Moss Watch"? Why might he study moss?
3. Describe the snow storm. How does it affect the author?
4. How do Stuart's classmates respond to his father? How important might their reactions be to how he perceives his father? Why?
5. How does the author feel about the mice and flies? Why? How does this compare to how he feels about other animals?
6. What takes place in "March 31"? How might the author feel about this?
7. What takes place in "January 5 Bog Trip"? How might this affect the students?
8. Describe the author's walk in "April 28 Free Search." Why does he do this?
9. Describe the author's smelting trip with Bill. Do you agree with their conclusion? Why or why not?
10. What does he author say about his favorite season? Why might he feel this way?
This section contains 1,254 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)