|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author spends Christmas with whom in "December 25"?
(a) The squirrels.
(b) The ravens.
(c) His neighbors.
(d) His family.
2. What does the author begin in "March 23"?
(a) The syrup-making operation.
(b) The squirrel hunt.
(c) The squirrel observations.
(d) The sugar-making operation.
3. In the section "Moss Watch," the author describes the various types of ________________ he can see around his cabin.
(a) Mice and rats.
(b) Flowers and plants.
(c) Spiders and flies.
(d) Moss and lichen.
4. What does the author get from a farm for his ravens?
(b) A dead calf.
(c) Seeds and nuts.
(d) A dead deer.
5. The author and his neighbor _________ go ice fishing in "April 3 Ice Fishing."
Short Answer Questions
1. In the section "May 7," the author observes a few more nesting birds and notes their mating rituals are starting to _______.
2. Why did the author have an easy time seeing the tracks of various animals?
3. What occurs in "January 13"?
4. In "March 14 After the Storm," why does the author go into town again?
5. Why might the squirrels be biting down into the bark?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author feel about the mice and flies? Why? How does this compare to how he feels about other animals?
2. How does the author feel about celebrating Christmas? Why might he feel this way?
3. What observations does the author make in "May 15 Weeds in Huckleberry Bog"? What might be the significance of this?
4. What does the author learn from this dissection? How is this important to him?
5. What takes place in "April 4 Returns"? Describe the author's attitude at this time.
6. What is the most important aspect of hunting for the author? Why?
7. What does the author notice in "December 3"?
8. Describe "April 20." Is the author's life a simple one? Why or why not?
9. What takes place in "Cows"? What is your reaction to this? Why?
10. What does the author think of himself and his students in comparison to other people? Do you agree? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,208 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)