|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the elephants disappear, the author notices that the ground is covered with _______.
2. The author decides to make maple syrup with whom?
(a) His neighbor.
(b) His students.
(c) His wife.
(d) His son.
3. When the deer looks at him, what does the author do?
(a) He runs.
(b) He calls to her.
(c) He drops an apple on her head.
(d) He stares at her.
4. In "January 20 Coyotes," what is the man, which the author just happens upon, doing?
(a) Chasing and killing coyotes with his dogs.
(b) Hunting deer.
(c) Trying to find his way home.
5. Where are the students who arrive in "December 29 Winter Ecology" from?
(a) All over Maine.
(b) The author's high school.
(c) The author's university.
(d) All over the country.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the stump of an old __________ the author finds many wide, deep grub holes.
2. In "March 20-21 First Tappers," what does the author notice about the squirrels?
3. The author dissects the cocoon and discovers a great deal about _____________.
4. The author visits his son's school in __________________.
5. What does the author set out to do in "November 25 Connections"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What observations does the author make in "May 15 Weeds in Huckleberry Bog"? What might be the significance of this?
2. How does the author deal with his "cabin fever"?
3. What does the author notice about the squirrels in "March 20-21"? What are your thoughts regarding the squirrels' behavior?
4. What does the author notice in "December 3"?
5. How does the author spend Christmas? How does he feel about this? How does this experience compare to his other experiences throughout this book?
6. What is the most important aspect of hunting for the author? Why?
7. Describe the author's smelting trip with Bill. Do you agree with their conclusion? Why or why not?
8. What takes place in "Cows"? What is your reaction to this? Why?
9. What takes place in "Early February"? What is your reaction to this? Why?
10. What does the author learn from this dissection? How is this important to him?
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)