|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Excursions," the author and one of his students pull up samples of insects from ________.
(a) An old bird's nest.
(b) Near a tree.
(c) The mud.
(d) Below the ice in the stream.
2. In "March 25 Birch Seeds," how many birch seeds are shed by the tree?
3. At the end of the section, where is the author when he encounters a deer?
(a) Sitting outside his cabin.
(b) Hiking the trails.
(c) Up in his tree.
(d) Going for a run.
4. The author notes the changing seasons and decides his favorite season is ____________.
(d) Always the current one.
5. In the section "May 7," the author observes a few more nesting birds and notes their mating rituals are starting to _______.
(a) Be renewed.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "April 4 Returns," what does the author spend the night doing?
2. On the way back to the car, what does the author find?
3. What holiday is "February 2"?
4. In "Excursions," what creatures are endangered because of high quantities of mercury and PCB in the water?
5. In "November 28 More Flies," how does the the author attempt to rid his cabin of flies?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author spend Christmas? How does he feel about this? How does this experience compare to his other experiences throughout this book?
2. Describe the metamorphosis taking place in the Maine woods. How might the author feel about this?
3. What takes place in "April 4 Returns"? Describe the author's attitude at this time.
4. How does the author feel about the mice and flies? Why? How does this compare to how he feels about other animals?
5. What takes place in "December 29 Winter Ecology?" Why might the author do this?
6. What does the author realize about the ravens in "December 23 Ravens"? How does this affect his behavior?
7. What takes place in "January 5 Bog Trip"? How might this affect the students?
8. What does he author say about his favorite season? Why might he feel this way?
9. How does the book come to an end? After a year of living in the woods, how does the author feel about his life there? Why?
10. Describe the author's walk in "April 28 Free Search." Why does he do this?
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)