|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, where do the most successful nest builders place their nests?
(a) Near the ground.
(b) In high trees.
(c) On his roof.
(d) In the most unlikely places.
2. In "Excursions," what creatures are endangered because of high quantities of mercury and PCB in the water?
(a) Sea gulls.
(b) Blue herons.
(d) Bald eagles.
3. Why did the author have an easy time seeing the tracks of various animals?
(a) He was laying on the ground.
(b) He had binoculars.
(c) The ground was very muddy.
(d) A thick blanket of snow had fallen the night before.
4. The author ponders about the first Native Americans who discovered __________.
(a) How to catch squirrels.
(b) How to make maple syrup.
(c) How to hunt.
(d) How to cook squirrel.
5. The author believes he may be wanted as __________ in "The Spiker."
(a) A thief.
(b) An eco-terrorist.
(c) A mass murderer.
(d) A terrorist.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "April 8," what does the author check out on a dairy farm?
2. What holiday is "February 2"?
3. How does the sample surprise the author?
4. What kind of fish does the author consider the perch to be?
5. In "April 2 Dreams," the author remembers a couple of dreams from how long ago?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is taking place in "March 13 Storm Warnings"? Why do the people act and feel this way?
2. How important are these fishing expeditions for the author? Why?
3. What does the author realize about the ravens in "December 23 Ravens"? How does this affect his behavior?
4. Describe the author's smelting trip with Bill. Do you agree with their conclusion? Why or why not?
5. Describe the author's dreams in "April 2 Dreams." What might these mean?
6. How does the author spend Christmas? How does he feel about this? How does this experience compare to his other experiences throughout this book?
7. What does the author say in "Moss Watch"? Why might he study moss?
8. What does he author say about his favorite season? Why might he feel this way?
9. How does the author feel about celebrating Christmas? Why might he feel this way?
10. How do Stuart's classmates respond to his father? How important might their reactions be to how he perceives his father? Why?
This section contains 1,159 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)