|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Excursions," the author and one of his students pull up samples of insects from ________.
(a) Near a tree.
(b) An old bird's nest.
(c) The mud.
(d) Below the ice in the stream.
2. For how many days does the intensive class which the author teaches every winter at his cabin last?
3. While driving along the way to take his son back, what does the author see?
(a) Flowers of spring.
(b) Insects of spring.
(c) Heat of summer.
(d) Animals of spring.
4. According to the author, where do the most successful nest builders place their nests?
(a) In high trees.
(b) In the most unlikely places.
(c) Near the ground.
(d) On his roof.
5. What does the author see the squirrels licking?
(a) All the maple trees.
(b) The snow.
(c) Their fur.
(d) Some select maple trees.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the author make a trip in "December 4"?
2. Whom does the author ask to go fishing with him in "May 4 Smelting"?
3. In "January 6 A Discussion," what does the author notice that he might be a little odd for doing?
4. In "December 12 Rump Steak," the author discovers that the steak that he thought a friendly neighbor left him to enjoy through the winter was actually what?
5. How does Stuart feel about his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the snow storm. How does it affect the author?
2. What takes place in "January 5 Bog Trip"? How might this affect the students?
3. What does the author think of himself and his students in comparison to other people? Do you agree? Why or why not?
4. Describe the metamorphosis taking place in the Maine woods. How might the author feel about this?
5. What does the author say in "Moss Watch"? Why might he study moss?
6. What does he author say about his favorite season? Why might he feel this way?
7. How does the author feel about the mice and flies? Why? How does this compare to how he feels about other animals?
8. What does the author learn from this dissection? How is this important to him?
9. What does the author notice about the squirrels in "March 20-21"? What are your thoughts regarding the squirrels' behavior?
10. How does the author feel about celebrating Christmas? Why might he feel this way?
This section contains 1,287 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)