|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "March 25 Birch Seeds," how many birch seeds are shed by the tree?
2. The author believes he may be wanted as __________ in "The Spiker."
(a) A mass murderer.
(b) A terrorist.
(c) An eco-terrorist.
(d) A thief.
3. How does the sample surprise the author?
(a) How dirty the water was.
(b) How many dangerous organisms live there.
(c) How much pollution accompanied those organisms.
(d) How much life is down there.
4. Why did the author have an easy time seeing the tracks of various animals?
(a) He had binoculars.
(b) A thick blanket of snow had fallen the night before.
(c) He was laying on the ground.
(d) The ground was very muddy.
5. What is the mood of the people as they stock up for a big storm in "March 13 Storm Warnings"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why might the squirrels be biting down into the bark?
2. When the deer looks at him, what does the author do?
3. Though the weather is still cold in "March 16," the author can see the tracks and furrows of many animals. What does he search for as the sun comes out?
4. According to the author, where do the most successful nest builders place their nests?
5. When the author goes for a walk in his snowshoes, what does he observe?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author deal with his "cabin fever"?
2. What does the author say in "Moss Watch"? Why might he study moss?
3. What takes place in "Cows"? What is your reaction to this? Why?
4. What experiment does the author perform with the squirrels? Why?
5. Describe the author's walk in "April 28 Free Search." Why does he do this?
6. Describe the snow storm. How does it affect the author?
7. What does the author think of himself and his students in comparison to other people? Do you agree? Why or why not?
8. What is taking place in "March 13 Storm Warnings"? Why do the people act and feel this way?
9. Describe the author's smelting trip with Bill. Do you agree with their conclusion? Why or why not?
10. How does the author feel about the mice and flies? Why? How does this compare to how he feels about other animals?
This section contains 1,366 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)