|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "April 2 Dreams," the author remembers a couple of dreams from how long ago?
(a) Nights before.
(b) Years before.
(c) Decades before.
(d) Hours before.
2. The author notes the changing seasons and decides his favorite season is ____________.
(c) Always the current one.
3. What is the mood of the people as they stock up for a big storm in "March 13 Storm Warnings"?
4. Where can moss grow?
(a) On rotting stumps and trees, in decaying grass, on rocks and ridges, and sometimes just on the bare ground.
(b) In very dry locations.
(c) Very few places.
(d) In strong sunlight.
5. For how many days does the intensive class which the author teaches every winter at his cabin last?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the section "May 7," the author observes a few more nesting birds and notes their mating rituals are starting to _______.
2. In "December 21," the author discovers that a local squirrel has stashed __________ all along the path.
3. Where are the students who arrive in "December 29 Winter Ecology" from?
4. The farmer also sells some_________ here and there to make money.
5. In one he sees a huge _____________ owl starting at him.
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place in "April 4 Returns"? Describe the author's attitude at this time.
2. How does the author feel about celebrating Christmas? Why might he feel this way?
3. What takes place in "Cows"? What is your reaction to this? Why?
4. How does the author spend Christmas? How does he feel about this? How does this experience compare to his other experiences throughout this book?
5. What does the author say in "Moss Watch"? Why might he study moss?
6. What does the author learn from this dissection? How is this important to him?
7. How does the author feel about the mice and flies? Why? How does this compare to how he feels about other animals?
8. Describe the author's dreams in "April 2 Dreams." What might these mean?
9. What does the author think of himself and his students in comparison to other people? Do you agree? Why or why not?
10. What takes place in "March 31"? How might the author feel about this?
This section contains 1,215 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)