|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While in town, for what does he find a lead?
(c) Some dead cattle.
(d) Food supplies.
2. In "April 4 Returns," what does the author spend the night doing?
(c) Watching television.
(d) Boiling sap.
3. The author dissects the cocoon and discovers a great deal about _____________.
(a) The beetle's development in the cocoon and his escape.
(b) The moth's development in the cocoon and his escape.
(c) The fly's development in the cocoon and his escape.
(d) The butterfly's development in the cocoon and his escape.
4. The author has become rather sick of celebrating __________________ in the traditional American way.
5. In "Excursions," the author and one of his students pull up samples of insects from ________.
(a) The mud.
(b) Near a tree.
(c) An old bird's nest.
(d) Below the ice in the stream.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what chapter does it rain all day?
2. On the way back to the car, what does the author find?
3. In the stump of an old __________ the author finds many wide, deep grub holes.
4. The author notes the changing seasons and decides his favorite season is ____________.
5. In this section, whom does the farmer meet with at the cabin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place in "January 5 Bog Trip"? How might this affect the students?
2. What does he author say about his favorite season? Why might he feel this way?
3. Describe the snow storm. How does it affect the author?
4. What does the author notice in "December 3"?
5. What does the author think of himself and his students in comparison to other people? Do you agree? Why or why not?
6. What takes place in "March 31"? How might the author feel about this?
7. How does the author deal with his "cabin fever"?
8. How does the author spend Christmas? How does he feel about this? How does this experience compare to his other experiences throughout this book?
9. What does the author learn from this dissection? How is this important to him?
10. What is taking place in "March 13 Storm Warnings"? Why do the people act and feel this way?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)