|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author is quite proud about __________.
(a) The progress of his garden.
(b) The progress of the ravens.
(c) The progress of his cutting.
(d) The progress of his research.
2. The author stumbles upon _________ moose.
3. While driving along the way to take his son back, what does the author see?
(a) Animals of spring.
(b) Heat of summer.
(c) Flowers of spring.
(d) Insects of spring.
4. In "Excursions," what creatures are endangered because of high quantities of mercury and PCB in the water?
(a) Blue herons.
(c) Sea gulls.
(d) Bald eagles.
5. In "December 4," the author decides to make the trip ________.
(a) Into town.
(b) To another cabin.
(c) Into the forest.
(d) Back home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does the dear show fear?
2. Where are the students who arrive in "December 29 Winter Ecology" from?
3. In "January 20 Coyotes," what is the man, which the author just happens upon, doing?
4. When the author goes for a walk in his snowshoes, what does he observe?
5. The author and his son watch a ______________ fly up into the sky and then circle back down to the ground.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author notice about the squirrels in "March 20-21"? What are your thoughts regarding the squirrels' behavior?
2. What takes place in "January 5 Bog Trip"? How might this affect the students?
3. What does he author say about his favorite season? Why might he feel this way?
4. How does the author spend Christmas? How does he feel about this? How does this experience compare to his other experiences throughout this book?
5. Describe the author's dreams in "April 2 Dreams." What might these mean?
6. What takes place in "Early February"? What is your reaction to this? Why?
7. How does the book come to an end? After a year of living in the woods, how does the author feel about his life there? Why?
8. What takes place in "Cows"? What is your reaction to this? Why?
9. What takes place in "December 29 Winter Ecology?" Why might the author do this?
10. What experiment does the author perform with the squirrels? Why?
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)