|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the author make a trip in "December 4"?
(a) To see his son, Stuart.
(b) He is bored.
(c) To buy more supplies.
(d) To visit friends.
2. What does the author do before cooking and eating the fish that he and his neighbor catch?
(a) He dissects them.
(b) He tests them for disease.
(c) He sketches them.
(d) He studies them.
3. In "November 28 More Flies," how does the the author attempt to rid his cabin of flies?
(a) He hits them with a fly swatter.
(b) He sprays them with poison.
(c) He steps on them.
(d) He sucks them up in the dustbuster.
4. In "April 28 Free Search," the author goes on a nature walk _______________.
(a) Looking for something in particular.
(b) Without looking where he was going.
(c) Without paying attention to where he was.
(d) Without looking for anything in particular.
5. What holiday is "February 2"?
(a) Martin Luther King Day.
(b) President's Day.
(c) Boxing Day.
(d) Groundhog Day.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author is quite proud about __________.
2. The author spends Christmas with whom in "December 25"?
3. While driving along the way to take his son back, what does the author see?
4. After thinking about some bizarre encounters that he recently had with the logging company, what does the author decide?
5. In another very detailed dream, he is looking for a place to rest but is suddenly swept away by ______________ elephants.
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place in "Early February"? What is your reaction to this? Why?
2. How does the book come to an end? After a year of living in the woods, how does the author feel about his life there? Why?
3. How does the author spend Christmas? How does he feel about this? How does this experience compare to his other experiences throughout this book?
4. What takes place in "April 4 Returns"? Describe the author's attitude at this time.
5. What experiment does the author perform with the squirrels? Why?
6. What is the most important aspect of hunting for the author? Why?
7. What takes place in "Cows"? What is your reaction to this? Why?
8. What does the author learn from this dissection? How is this important to him?
9. What does the author notice about the squirrels in "March 20-21"? What are your thoughts regarding the squirrels' behavior?
10. What does he author say about his favorite season? Why might he feel this way?
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)