|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author ponders about the first Native Americans who discovered __________.
(a) How to cook squirrel.
(b) How to catch squirrels.
(c) How to hunt.
(d) How to make maple syrup.
2. The author drives his son back to _____________ in "April 28."
(a) New York.
(d) New Hampshire.
3. In "January 6 A Discussion," what does the author notice that he might be a little odd for doing?
(a) Living in the woods alone.
(b) Hauling around road kill in the back of his pick up truck.
(c) Teaching in his cabin.
(d) Hunting for his food.
4. In "April 2 Dreams," the author remembers a couple of dreams from how long ago?
(a) Decades before.
(b) Hours before.
(c) Nights before.
(d) Years before.
5. In "January 20 Coyotes," what is the man, which the author just happens upon, doing?
(a) Trying to find his way home.
(b) Chasing and killing coyotes with his dogs.
(c) Hunting deer.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "December 12 Rump Steak," the author discovers that the steak that he thought a friendly neighbor left him to enjoy through the winter was actually what?
2. The author notes how perceptive the ravens are to _____________.
3. In "November 28 More Flies," how does the the author attempt to rid his cabin of flies?
4. Though the weather is still cold in "March 16," the author can see the tracks and furrows of many animals. What does he search for as the sun comes out?
5. In "March 25 Birch Seeds," how many birch seeds are shed by the tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the book come to an end? After a year of living in the woods, how does the author feel about his life there? Why?
2. What takes place in "March 31"? How might the author feel about this?
3. How important are these fishing expeditions for the author? Why?
4. What experiment does the author perform with the squirrels? Why?
5. How does the author deal with his "cabin fever"?
6. Describe the author's dreams in "April 2 Dreams." What might these mean?
7. What does the author notice about the squirrels in "March 20-21"? What are your thoughts regarding the squirrels' behavior?
8. What takes place in "Cows"? What is your reaction to this? Why?
9. What does the author say in "Moss Watch"? Why might he study moss?
10. What does the author notice in "December 3"?
This section contains 1,340 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)