|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author notes more evidence of the seasons changing in "August 14 Whispers of Fall." Who comes for a visit?
(a) The author's son Stuart, his daughter Erica, and two friends.
(b) The author's wife.
(c) The author's son Stuart and his daughter Erica.
(d) The author's daughter Erica.
2. In the section "Time," the author realizes that he has spent over _________ months in the cabin.
3. What does the author notice about the plants in the shade?
(a) They grow slower and sometimes never flower.
(b) They are lighter in color than those in sunlight.
(c) They are larger than those in sunlight.
(d) They grow faster and always flower.
4. The author reflects in "October 14 To Find Small Caterpillars" that he is much like whom?
(a) HIs father.
(c) His son.
(d) His wife.
5. The trees that now populate the region are the trees of __________.
(a) Those planted by man.
(b) A more populated region.
(c) A cooler climate.
(d) A warmer, temperate climate.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the section "Flying Samaras and Consciousness," the author writes about the little rotary seeds of the ____________ tree known as samaras.
2. In "Habits and Hunts," what has the author given up?
3. In the section "October 6 Cherry Hill Drive", the author drives to a clearing that has been logged ______________ before.
4. What does the section "August 4 Wanderers" describe?
5. When Europeans arrive, why do they clear the land?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author learn about the life cycles of plants and animals in "The Urgency of Spring"?
2. What takes place in "September 27 Starting a Sugar Shack"?
3. Describe the author's traveling companion. Why might he want this companion?
4. How might the author's annual rendezvous be important, especially this year?
5. How is the author's sense of smell important to him?
6. What is Adam's Hill? What is the purpose of the information about Adam's Hill?
7. How does the author feel about his housemates in "October 7 Housemates"? Why?
8. What is the purpose of "Beginnings"?
9. How is the author like Jack? Why?
10. Describe the author's relationship with Jack. What does this reveal about the author?
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)