|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the author's run, what does he notice?
(a) The leaves have begun to change color.
(b) The first apple leaves starting to fall.
(c) Several deer in a field.
(d) Snow starting to fall.
2. In the section "Flying Samaras and Consciousness," the author writes about the little rotary seeds of the ____________ tree known as samaras.
3. In "Burning Wood," the author writes that he is happy he has cut down so much wood, and it has given him a feeling of accomplishment. Nevertheless, what is he annoyed about?
(a) He is very sore from chopping wood.
(b) The wood is filled with insects.
(c) He is still in need of more wood.
(d) His stove is efficient at cooking food but inefficient at heating his cabin.
4. In the section "Scents and Sounds," to what does the author listen?
(a) The sounds of the morning.
(b) The sounds of the night.
(c) The sounds of the evening.
(d) The sounds of the afternoon.
5. The author and his son plant a ______ oak near the cabin.
Short Answer Questions
1. The families have lived in the area since _________, and the author is a friend of the descendants of those first settlers.
2. On what does the author base his conclusions?
3. The author has observed that the small cemeteries are full of the families who first came to the area and that the majority of gravestones belong to whom?
4. When little mice first start to join the author in his cabin, he thinks they are ___________.
5. In town the author meets _________________, who gives him some wood and fixes his chainsaw.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author do to prepare for winter in "June 12 Early Harvests"?
2. How is "October 26-30" an important chapter?
3. What takes place in "August 4 Wanderers"?
4. What does the author learn about the life cycles of plants and animals in "The Urgency of Spring"?
5. What does the author learn about living simply in his first two months?
6. What happens to the author's vegetables? How might he feel about this?
7. How is the logging business important to the people of this region?
8. How does the author feel about his housemates in "October 7 Housemates"? Why?
9. Describe "October 1 The Foliage." How is "October 1 The Foliage" an important chapter?
10. How is the author like Jack? Why?
This section contains 1,161 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)