|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author do to the mice?
(a) He exterminates them.
(b) He feeds them.
(c) He lures them outside.
(d) He names them.
2. The two men catch up on what has been going on in the area, including _____________ protest of a logging operation.
(a) A Green.
(b) A Sierra Club.
(c) An Audubon Society.
(d) An Earth First.
3. Though the pair is hunting on election day, the author observes what?
(a) It really has no meaning to them, so removed from the real world.
(b) He wonders who he would have voted for.
(c) He feels the need to vote.
(d) There are quite a few others out hunting instead of voting.
4. The author has observed that the small cemeteries are full of the families who first came to the area and that the majority of gravestones belong to whom?
5. Do they spot deer?
(b) Yes, many.
(c) Yes, but only one.
(d) Yes, but only a few.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the evening chorus dies off, what does the author do?
2. What is the thing that surprises the author the most?
3. "Scrap Lumber" describes the author's daily routine of ___________.
4. In "August 9-13 Some Berries," the author is in search of some _____________.
5. What does the author believe is responsible for our changing seasons today?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of "Beginnings"?
2. What takes place in "August 14 Whispers of Fall"?
3. How are trees a good source of energy? What can the reader learn from this?
4. Why does chopping wood make the author happy? What does this reveal about him?
5. What does the author learn about living simply in his first two months?
6. What takes place in "September 20 Clearcuts"?
7. How is the logging business important to the people of this region?
8. What is Adam's Hill? What is the purpose of the information about Adam's Hill?
9. What takes place in "The Time of Birdsong"? Why is this important to the author?
10. What does the author do in "Election Time?" How does this reveal his feelings regarding elections?
This section contains 1,231 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)