|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the author is running through the forest, he comes to a clearing that has been logged a few years earlier. What does he see there?
(a) A deer.
(b) A bear.
(c) A cougar.
(d) A moose.
2. In the section "Election Time," the author's ______________ is visiting for a deer hunt.
3. In the section "September 23-26 The Garden," the author observes what about the green beans and squash he planted?
(a) They died.
(b) They failed to fruit.
(c) They are very large and colorful.
(d) They grew fruit.
4. The author watches in fascination as _______________.
(a) Chefs make several types of pies for the visitors to try.
(b) The horses compete in dressage.
(c) Teams of horses and oxen pull heavy loads for a large crowd of spectators.
(d) An artist paints his portrait.
5. What have many forest creatures invaded in "October 7 Housemates"?
(a) The author's house.
(b) The author's yard.
(c) The author's outhouse.
(d) The author's barn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the author roll rocks under the foundation of his cabin?
2. In the section "Scents and Sounds," to what does the author listen?
3. "October 3 The Annual Rendezvous" is about __________________.
4. The author observes that single leaves __________ turn different colors.
5. His traveling companion is a ____________ that he took out of the nest when it was still a baby.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author learn about the life cycles of plants and animals in "The Urgency of Spring"?
2. How does Jack act like other ravens? How does the author predict this?
3. How is the author's sense of smell important to him?
4. What is the purpose of "Beginnings"?
5. How is the author like Jack? Why?
6. How does the author feel about his housemates in "October 7 Housemates"? Why?
7. How is "October 26-30" an important chapter?
8. What does the author do in "Election Time?" How does this reveal his feelings regarding elections?
9. What do the author and his son do together in "Early September"? What does this reveal about them?
10. What takes place in "The Time of Birdsong"? Why is this important to the author?
This section contains 1,295 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)