|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the thing that surprises the author the most?
(a) He has adjusted to living in his cabin.
(b) Most of the birds have left.
(c) Most of the leaves have fallen off the ash tree.
(d) The vibrant colors of the fall leaves.
2. What does the author believe is responsible for our changing seasons today?
(a) The fission theory.
(b) The coalescing of gas and dust in the creation of the moon.
(c) A collision long ago.
(d) The moon being an asteroid.
3. In the section "Time," the author realizes that he has spent over _________ months in the cabin.
4. After a few weeks, what does Jack learn to do on his own?
5. The author notices the trees and flowers blooming and climbs up into _______________ where he has built a lookout to observe the natural world.
(a) A red spruce tree.
(b) The loft of the barn.
(c) A hot air balloon.
(d) A poplar tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "September 27 Starting a Sugar Shack" about?
2. Eventually, what does Jack do?
3. "The Time of Birdsong" describes the author's all-day observations of __________.
4. What does the author find for Jack to sleep on?
5. The author reflects in "October 14 To Find Small Caterpillars" that he is much like whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the author's vegetables? How might he feel about this?
2. What is the geologic history of the region? Why might the author give this information?
3. What does the author notice in "October 6 Cherry HIll Drive"? Why might this be important?
4. How does "August 9-13 Some Berries" lead to a reflection of the author's childhood?
5. Describe "October 1 The Foliage." How is "October 1 The Foliage" an important chapter?
6. How does Jack act like other ravens? How does the author predict this?
7. What do the author and his son do together in "Early September"? What does this reveal about them?
8. How does the author feel about his housemates in "October 7 Housemates"? Why?
9. What takes place in "August 14 Whispers of Fall"?
10. What takes place in "September 20 Clearcuts"?
This section contains 1,400 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)