|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the author and his son doing as the section "August 30" begins?
(b) Picking blackberries.
2. "Beginnings" deals with the author's goals for the _________ he will spend in the cabin.
(a) Five years.
(b) Six months.
(d) Two years.
3. After running in "September 27 Starting a Sugar Shack," how does the author feel?
(b) Refreshed and energized.
(c) Tired and sore.
4. Though the pair is hunting on election day, the author observes what?
(a) It really has no meaning to them, so removed from the real world.
(b) There are quite a few others out hunting instead of voting.
(c) He wonders who he would have voted for.
(d) He feels the need to vote.
5. "October 3 The Annual Rendezvous" is about __________________.
(a) A party the author attends every year.
(b) A faculty meeting held for all college professors.
(c) A dinner meeting the author holds every year for his colleagues.
(d) A party that the author hosts up on the mountain every year.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author reflect on as he gathers bunches of berries?
2. As the author is running through the forest, he comes to a clearing that has been logged a few years earlier. What does he see there?
3. In the section "Time," the author realizes that he has spent over _________ months in the cabin.
4. In "Jack," what details are given about the author?
5. The author reflects in "October 14 To Find Small Caterpillars" that he is much like whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How might the author's annual rendezvous be important, especially this year?
2. Describe the author's relationship with Jack. What does this reveal about the author?
3. How are trees a good source of energy? What can the reader learn from this?
4. What does the author do to prepare for winter in "June 12 Early Harvests"?
5. What is the purpose of "Beginnings"?
6. What takes place in "September 20 Clearcuts"?
7. Describe the author's first morning in the cabin. What can be predicted regarding his stay in this cabin based on this information?
8. What takes place in "September 27 Starting a Sugar Shack"?
9. What takes place in "August 14 Whispers of Fall"?
10. Why does chopping wood make the author happy? What does this reveal about him?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)