|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Giant piles of gravel, steep ridges, and ponds are all evidence of ___________.
(a) The last tornado.
(b) The last earthquake.
(c) The last meteor shower.
(d) The last glacier.
2. In "Jack," what details are given about the author?
(a) The author's relationship with his son.
(b) The author's relationship with a young deer.
(c) The author's relationship with the raven he captured when it was a baby.
(d) The author's relationship with his neighbor.
3. What have many forest creatures invaded in "October 7 Housemates"?
(a) The author's outhouse.
(b) The author's house.
(c) The author's barn.
(d) The author's yard.
4. In the section "Time," the author realizes that he has spent over _________ months in the cabin.
5. The author watches in fascination as _______________.
(a) Teams of horses and oxen pull heavy loads for a large crowd of spectators.
(b) The horses compete in dressage.
(c) An artist paints his portrait.
(d) Chefs make several types of pies for the visitors to try.
Short Answer Questions
1. One raven flies close to the author, circles away, and then comes back. At this point, what is the author wondering about?
2. What caused the animals in the region to change?
3. The author smells a scent that triggers a memory of a childhood evening with whom?
4. In the section "Election Time," the author's ______________ is visiting for a deer hunt.
5. Why does the author roll rocks under the foundation of his cabin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place in "September 20 Clearcuts"?
2. How is the author like Jack? Why?
3. Describe the author's traveling companion. Why might he want this companion?
4. How is the logging business important to the people of this region?
5. How is the author's sense of smell important to him?
6. What happens to the author's vegetables? How might he feel about this?
7. How is "October 26-30" an important chapter?
8. What does the author learn about the life cycles of plants and animals in "The Urgency of Spring"?
9. What does the author learn about living simply in his first two months?
10. What takes place in "September 27 Starting a Sugar Shack"?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)