|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author observes a pair of swallows in a nest by his cabin and how quickly they move on with their lives when ____________.
(a) They are injured while protecting their nest.
(b) Their nest is destroyed.
(c) Their eggs hatch.
(d) Their baby birds are killed.
2. The author watches in fascination as _______________.
(a) Chefs make several types of pies for the visitors to try.
(b) An artist paints his portrait.
(c) Teams of horses and oxen pull heavy loads for a large crowd of spectators.
(d) The horses compete in dressage.
3. In the section "Election Time," the author's ______________ is visiting for a deer hunt.
4. In the section "Time," the author realizes that he has spent over _________ months in the cabin.
5. What does the author awaken to on his first morning?
(a) The many different birdcalls.
(b) Frogs croaking.
(d) The sound of cars.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the section "Flying Samaras and Consciousness," the author writes about the little rotary seeds of the ____________ tree known as samaras.
2. In "October 1 The Foliage," what happens for the first time?
3. In "Trees," the author writes about using trees as _______.
4. The author smells a scent that triggers a memory of a childhood evening with whom?
5. The author has another run on "September 18" - this time running a length of __________ miles.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Adam's Hill? What is the purpose of the information about Adam's Hill?
2. What do the author and his son do together in "Early September"? What does this reveal about them?
3. Describe the author's traveling companion. Why might he want this companion?
4. How does the author feel about his housemates in "October 7 Housemates"? Why?
5. What takes place in "The Time of Birdsong"? Why is this important to the author?
6. What takes place in "September 27 Starting a Sugar Shack"?
7. How is the author like Jack? Why?
8. What is the geologic history of the region? Why might the author give this information?
9. What does the author do to prepare for winter in "June 12 Early Harvests"?
10. What takes place in "September 20 Clearcuts"?
This section contains 1,278 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)