|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author find for Jack to sleep on?
(a) A straw mattress.
(b) A wood pile.
(c) A blanket.
(d) A twin bed.
2. "Scrap Lumber" describes the author's daily routine of ___________.
(a) Writing poetry.
(b) Cutting wood and avoiding the biting flies and mosquitoes.
(c) Swimming in the pond and sun bathing.
(d) Sleeping late and watching the birds.
3. His traveling companion is a ____________ that he took out of the nest when it was still a baby.
4. In the section "September 23-26 The Garden," the author observes what about the green beans and squash he planted?
(a) They grew fruit.
(b) They failed to fruit.
(c) They are very large and colorful.
(d) They died.
5. What have many forest creatures invaded in "October 7 Housemates"?
(a) The author's yard.
(b) The author's house.
(c) The author's outhouse.
(d) The author's barn.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author tries to draw conclusions about _____________.
2. In "September 23-26 The Garden," what does the author find after waking up one morning?
3. As the author is running through the forest, he comes to a clearing that has been logged a few years earlier. What does he see there?
4. When they first arrive at the cabin, who depends on the author for his food and his companionship?
5. After running in "September 27 Starting a Sugar Shack," how does the author feel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author do in "Election Time?" How does this reveal his feelings regarding elections?
2. What happens to the author's vegetables? How might he feel about this?
3. What does the author notice in "October 6 Cherry HIll Drive"? Why might this be important?
4. How might the author's annual rendezvous be important, especially this year?
5. What does the author do to prepare for winter in "June 12 Early Harvests"?
6. Why does chopping wood make the author happy? What does this reveal about him?
7. How are trees a good source of energy? What can the reader learn from this?
8. What is the purpose of "Beginnings"?
9. What takes place in "September 20 Clearcuts"?
10. What does the author learn about living simply in his first two months?
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)