|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the section "Flying Samaras and Consciousness," the author writes about the little rotary seeds of the ____________ tree known as samaras.
2. The author notes more evidence of the seasons changing in "August 14 Whispers of Fall." Who comes for a visit?
(a) The author's daughter Erica.
(b) The author's son Stuart, his daughter Erica, and two friends.
(c) The author's wife.
(d) The author's son Stuart and his daughter Erica.
3. In "Bedrock," the author gives a ___________ history of the region.
4. The two men catch up on what has been going on in the area, including _____________ protest of a logging operation.
(a) A Green.
(b) An Earth First.
(c) An Audubon Society.
(d) A Sierra Club.
5. What is the thing that surprises the author the most?
(a) He has adjusted to living in his cabin.
(b) Most of the birds have left.
(c) Most of the leaves have fallen off the ash tree.
(d) The vibrant colors of the fall leaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the author's run, what does he notice?
2. The author observes a pair of swallows in a nest by his cabin and how quickly they move on with their lives when ____________.
3. In "Late Summer Ramblings," the author writes about the changing of the seasons and the life cycle of ________.
4. In "September 13," how many miles does the author run as he observes caterpillars, ravens, and flies along the way?
5. The author writes about the delicate relationship between _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the logging business important to the people of this region?
2. What takes place in "September 20 Clearcuts"?
3. What does the author learn about the life cycles of plants and animals in "The Urgency of Spring"?
4. How does the author feel about the mice and flies? Why? How does this compare to how he feels about other animals?
5. What is the geologic history of the region? Why might the author give this information?
6. What does the author do in "Election Time?" How does this reveal his feelings regarding elections?
7. How important are these fishing expeditions for the author? Why?
8. How does Jack act like other ravens? How does the author predict this?
9. What does the author realize about the ravens in "December 23 Ravens"? How does this affect his behavior?
10. How does the author spend Christmas? How does he feel about this? How does this experience compare to his other experiences throughout this book?
This section contains 1,358 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)