|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "Adams Hill" describe?
(a) The land around the cabin and the family who first settled in the area.
(b) A favorite sledding hill.
(c) The author's family.
(d) A local cemetery.
2. The author and his son plant a ______ oak near the cabin.
3. In "Burning Wood," the author writes that he is happy he has cut down so much wood, and it has given him a feeling of accomplishment. Nevertheless, what is he annoyed about?
(a) He is still in need of more wood.
(b) The wood is filled with insects.
(c) He is very sore from chopping wood.
(d) His stove is efficient at cooking food but inefficient at heating his cabin.
4. In town the author meets _________________, who gives him some wood and fixes his chainsaw.
(a) Peter Kinney.
(b) Patrick Kearney.
(c) Perry Kennedy.
(d) Paul Kinnard.
5. Why does the author roll rocks under the foundation of his cabin?
(a) To winterize it.
(b) To keep the animals out.
(c) To help keep it dry.
(d) To make it more attractive.
Short Answer Questions
1. "The Time of Birdsong" describes the author's all-day observations of __________.
2. "The Traveling Companion" begins with the author's description of his journey to ___________.
3. What is the thing that surprises the author the most?
4. In the section "Time," the author realizes that he has spent over _________ months in the cabin.
5. In "Late Summer Ramblings," the author writes about the changing of the seasons and the life cycle of ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How might the author's annual rendezvous be important, especially this year?
2. What takes place in "August 14 Whispers of Fall"?
3. How does Jack act like other ravens? How does the author predict this?
4. What does the author do to prepare for winter in "June 12 Early Harvests"?
5. What does the author do in "Election Time?" How does this reveal his feelings regarding elections?
6. How is the logging business important to the people of this region?
7. What takes place in "August 4 Wanderers"?
8. What does the author learn about living simply in his first two months?
9. How does the author feel about his housemates in "October 7 Housemates"? Why?
10. What does the author learn about the life cycles of plants and animals in "The Urgency of Spring"?
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)