|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Burning Wood," the author writes that he is happy he has cut down so much wood, and it has given him a feeling of accomplishment. Nevertheless, what is he annoyed about?
(a) He is very sore from chopping wood.
(b) The wood is filled with insects.
(c) His stove is efficient at cooking food but inefficient at heating his cabin.
(d) He is still in need of more wood.
2. What is the thing that surprises the author the most?
(a) He has adjusted to living in his cabin.
(b) Most of the leaves have fallen off the ash tree.
(c) The vibrant colors of the fall leaves.
(d) Most of the birds have left.
3. What does the author awaken to on his first morning?
(b) The many different birdcalls.
(c) Frogs croaking.
(d) The sound of cars.
4. The author smells a scent that triggers a memory of a childhood evening with whom?
(a) His mother.
(b) His brother.
(c) His father.
(d) His aunt.
5. What is "October 10 Home Chores" about?
(a) The author's peculiar style of living in the cabin.
(b) The author's records of his experiences.
(c) The author's family.
(d) The author's chores.
Short Answer Questions
1. The families have lived in the area since _________, and the author is a friend of the descendants of those first settlers.
2. What does the author do to the mice?
3. After the evening chorus dies off, what does the author do?
4. In "Habits and Hunts," what has the author given up?
5. In "Jack," what details are given about the author?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place in "August 4 Wanderers"?
2. How is the author's sense of smell important to him?
3. What takes place in "The Time of Birdsong"? Why is this important to the author?
4. What takes place in "September 20 Clearcuts"?
5. What does the author notice in "October 6 Cherry HIll Drive"? Why might this be important?
6. How might the author's annual rendezvous be important, especially this year?
7. How is the author like Jack? Why?
8. What takes place in "September 27 Starting a Sugar Shack"?
9. Describe the author's relationship with Jack. What does this reveal about the author?
10. What does the author do to prepare for winter in "June 12 Early Harvests"?
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)