|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the author cuts wood for the winter, he notices areas he cleared only a few years before are covered with __________.
2. The author tries to draw conclusions about _____________.
(a) The way the stars were created.
(b) The size of the sun versus other stars.
(c) The sun's power.
(d) The moon's orbit, rise, and set.
3. What does the author reflect on as he gathers bunches of berries?
(a) His son.
(b) His marriage.
(c) Earlier months of his stay in the cabin.
(d) Earlier times in his childhood.
4. In the section "September 23-26 The Garden," the author observes what about the green beans and squash he planted?
(a) They are very large and colorful.
(b) They died.
(c) They failed to fruit.
(d) They grew fruit.
5. What is "October 10 Home Chores" about?
(a) The author's records of his experiences.
(b) The author's family.
(c) The author's chores.
(d) The author's peculiar style of living in the cabin.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author think the clearing will look in the end, even though his style of harvesting trees could be considered sloppy?
2. In "Jack," what details are given about the author?
3. In "Bedrock," the author gives a ___________ history of the region.
4. The two men catch up on what has been going on in the area, including _____________ protest of a logging operation.
5. In "Beginnings," the author tells us that he has what kind of contact with the outside world?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the author's vegetables? How might he feel about this?
2. What does the author do in "Election Time?" How does this reveal his feelings regarding elections?
3. Describe the author's first morning in the cabin. What can be predicted regarding his stay in this cabin based on this information?
4. What do the author and his son do together in "Early September"? What does this reveal about them?
5. What is Adam's Hill? What is the purpose of the information about Adam's Hill?
6. What is the geologic history of the region? Why might the author give this information?
7. What does the author learn about living simply in his first two months?
8. Describe the author's traveling companion. Why might he want this companion?
9. What is the purpose of "Beginnings"?
10. How are trees a good source of energy? What can the reader learn from this?
This section contains 1,405 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)