|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author find for Jack to sleep on?
(a) A twin bed.
(b) A straw mattress.
(c) A blanket.
(d) A wood pile.
2. In "Beginnings," the author tells us that he has what kind of contact with the outside world?
(a) A cell phone.
(b) A telephone in the neighbor's outhouse.
(c) A telephone in his bedroom.
(d) A walkie-talkie.
3. During a ________, the author notices that most of the trees turn from green to yellow.
(a) Bike ride.
4. In "November 8-9 Jack?" the author observes a group of ravens that he has done what for?
(a) Set out food.
(c) Talked to.
(d) Built a nest.
5. What caused the animals in the region to change?
(a) The coming of man.
(b) The changing climate.
(c) The change in the landscape.
(d) The change in the food supply.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author reflect on as he gathers bunches of berries?
2. After running in "September 27 Starting a Sugar Shack," how does the author feel?
3. As the author is running through the forest, he comes to a clearing that has been logged a few years earlier. What does he see there?
4. After the author runs, how does he feel?
5. In the section "October 6 Cherry Hill Drive", the author drives to a clearing that has been logged ______________ before.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the author's first morning in the cabin. What can be predicted regarding his stay in this cabin based on this information?
2. How does "August 9-13 Some Berries" lead to a reflection of the author's childhood?
3. What is the geologic history of the region? Why might the author give this information?
4. Describe the author's traveling companion. Why might he want this companion?
5. What takes place in "August 4 Wanderers"?
6. How might the author's annual rendezvous be important, especially this year?
7. What takes place in "September 20 Clearcuts"?
8. What does the author do to prepare for winter in "June 12 Early Harvests"?
9. How is the logging business important to the people of this region?
10. What do the author and his son do together in "Early September"? What does this reveal about them?
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)