|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The birds start when it is still dark and the singing picks up with the increasing __________.
2. One raven flies close to the author, circles away, and then comes back. At this point, what is the author wondering about?
(a) If it is his friend Jack.
(b) If it is curious about him.
(c) If the raven is scared of him.
(d) If the raven does not like him.
3. What is "October 10 Home Chores" about?
(a) The author's chores.
(b) The author's records of his experiences.
(c) The author's peculiar style of living in the cabin.
(d) The author's family.
4. What have many forest creatures invaded in "October 7 Housemates"?
(a) The author's house.
(b) The author's barn.
(c) The author's outhouse.
(d) The author's yard.
5. Where do the author and his son go In "Early September"?
(a) The farmer's market.
(b) The county fair.
(c) The state fair.
(d) The art fair.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "September 13," how many miles does the author run as he observes caterpillars, ravens, and flies along the way?
2. The author has observed that the small cemeteries are full of the families who first came to the area and that the majority of gravestones belong to whom?
3. The families have lived in the area since _________, and the author is a friend of the descendants of those first settlers.
4. "Scrap Lumber" describes the author's daily routine of ___________.
5. After a few weeks, what does Jack learn to do on his own?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author notice about the wasp and caterpillars?
2. Describe "October 1 The Foliage." How is "October 1 The Foliage" an important chapter?
3. What takes place in "The Time of Birdsong"? Why is this important to the author?
4. What happens to the author's vegetables? How might he feel about this?
5. Why does chopping wood make the author happy? What does this reveal about him?
6. Describe the author's relationship with Jack. What does this reveal about the author?
7. How are trees a good source of energy? What can the reader learn from this?
8. How does Jack act like other ravens? How does the author predict this?
9. What is the geologic history of the region? Why might the author give this information?
10. What does the author notice in "October 6 Cherry HIll Drive"? Why might this be important?
This section contains 1,361 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)