Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What caused the animals in the region to change?
(a) The coming of man.
(b) The change in the food supply.
(c) The changing climate.
(d) The change in the landscape.
2. What does Stuart win?
(a) A pig.
(b) A horse.
(c) A painting.
(d) A pumpkin.
3. What does "Adams Hill" describe?
(a) The land around the cabin and the family who first settled in the area.
(b) A favorite sledding hill.
(c) A local cemetery.
(d) The author's family.
4. In "October 1 The Foliage," what happens for the first time?
(a) The snow falls.
(b) The forest is quiet.
(c) It rains.
(d) The author becomes bored.
5. "The Time of Birdsong" describes the author's all-day observations of __________.
(a) The birds he has captured in a cage.
(b) The song and calls of the larks by his window.
(c) The ravens.
(d) The different calls and songs of the birds in the area.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Europeans arrive, why do they clear the land?
2. In "Trees," the author writes about using trees as _______.
3. After the author runs, how does he feel?
4. What comes out in the early evening, closely followed by several types of songbirds?
5. The author notices the trees and flowers blooming and climbs up into _______________ where he has built a lookout to observe the natural world.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author notice in "December 3"?
2. How does the book come to an end? After a year of living in the woods, how does the author feel about his life there? Why?
3. How does the author deal with his "cabin fever"?
4. How are trees a good source of energy? What can the reader learn from this?
5. What does the author do to prepare for winter in "June 12 Early Harvests"?
6. How does "August 9-13 Some Berries" lead to a reflection of the author's childhood?
7. How is the author like Jack? Why?
8. What do the author and his son do together in "Early September"? What does this reveal about them?
9. What takes place in "March 31"? How might the author feel about this?
10. What is the most important aspect of hunting for the author? Why?
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)