|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "October 3 The Annual Rendezvous" is about __________________.
(a) A party that the author hosts up on the mountain every year.
(b) A party the author attends every year.
(c) A dinner meeting the author holds every year for his colleagues.
(d) A faculty meeting held for all college professors.
2. Do they spot deer?
(a) Yes, but only one.
(b) Yes, but only a few.
(d) Yes, many.
3. In the section "September 23-26 The Garden," the author observes what about the green beans and squash he planted?
(a) They died.
(b) They grew fruit.
(c) They are very large and colorful.
(d) They failed to fruit.
4. What comes out in the early evening, closely followed by several types of songbirds?
(b) Swarms of flies.
(c) Swarms of mosquitoes.
5. "The Traveling Companion" begins with the author's description of his journey to ___________.
(a) His son's home in Vermont.
(b) The bog.
(c) His cabin deep in the woods of Maine.
(d) His son's school.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author smells a scent that triggers a memory of a childhood evening with whom?
2. On what does the author base his conclusions?
3. What does the author awaken to on his first morning?
4. "Beginnings" deals with the author's goals for the _________ he will spend in the cabin.
5. The author watches in fascination as _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the logging business important to the people of this region?
2. What do the author and his son do together in "Early September"? What does this reveal about them?
3. What does the author do to prepare for winter in "June 12 Early Harvests"?
4. How does "August 9-13 Some Berries" lead to a reflection of the author's childhood?
5. What takes place in "Early February"? What is your reaction to this? Why?
6. How does the author deal with his "cabin fever"?
7. What takes place in "December 29 Winter Ecology?" Why might the author do this?
8. What takes place in "September 27 Starting a Sugar Shack"?
9. Describe the snow storm. How does it affect the author?
10. What is the geologic history of the region? Why might the author give this information?
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)