|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the author is running through the forest, he comes to a clearing that has been logged a few years earlier. What does he see there?
(a) A deer.
(b) A moose.
(c) A cougar.
(d) A bear.
2. What does the author believe is responsible for our changing seasons today?
(a) The fission theory.
(b) The moon being an asteroid.
(c) A collision long ago.
(d) The coalescing of gas and dust in the creation of the moon.
3. What does the author do to the mice?
(a) He names them.
(b) He exterminates them.
(c) He feeds them.
(d) He lures them outside.
4. The author has another run on "September 18" - this time running a length of __________ miles.
5. What are the author and his son doing as the section "August 30" begins?
(b) Picking blackberries.
Short Answer Questions
1. The families have lived in the area since _________, and the author is a friend of the descendants of those first settlers.
2. After the evening chorus dies off, what does the author do?
3. In the section "September 20 Clearcuts," the author observes some wasps. This makes him think back to _____________.
4. How does the author think the clearing will look in the end, even though his style of harvesting trees could be considered sloppy?
5. In "Jack," what details are given about the author?
Short Essay Questions
1. How important are these fishing expeditions for the author? Why?
2. What is taking place in "March 13 Storm Warnings"? Why do the people act and feel this way?
3. How does the book come to an end? After a year of living in the woods, how does the author feel about his life there? Why?
4. Describe the author's smelting trip with Bill. Do you agree with their conclusion? Why or why not?
5. Describe the snow storm. How does it affect the author?
6. What takes place in "December 29 Winter Ecology?" Why might the author do this?
7. What takes place in "March 31"? How might the author feel about this?
8. Describe "October 1 The Foliage." How is "October 1 The Foliage" an important chapter?
9. Describe "April 20." Is the author's life a simple one? Why or why not?
10. How is the author like Jack? Why?
This section contains 1,368 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)