|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the section "October 6 Cherry Hill Drive", the author drives to a clearing that has been logged ______________ before.
(a) Many months.
(b) A few weeks.
(c) A few decades.
(d) Many years.
2. After the author runs, how does he feel?
(a) Tired and sore.
(c) Relaxed and content.
3. The families have lived in the area since _________, and the author is a friend of the descendants of those first settlers.
4. "The Time of Birdsong" describes the author's all-day observations of __________.
(a) The ravens.
(b) The different calls and songs of the birds in the area.
(c) The birds he has captured in a cage.
(d) The song and calls of the larks by his window.
5. "October 3 The Annual Rendezvous" is about __________________.
(a) A dinner meeting the author holds every year for his colleagues.
(b) A party that the author hosts up on the mountain every year.
(c) A faculty meeting held for all college professors.
(d) A party the author attends every year.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author find for Jack to sleep on?
2. The author has another run on "September 18" - this time running a length of __________ miles.
3. Eventually, what does Jack do?
4. In the section "Scents and Sounds," to what does the author listen?
5. The trees that now populate the region are the trees of __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the author's first morning in the cabin. What can be predicted regarding his stay in this cabin based on this information?
2. What happens to the author's vegetables? How might he feel about this?
3. How is the author like Jack? Why?
4. What does the author notice about the wasp and caterpillars?
5. What is the purpose of "Beginnings"?
6. How is the author's sense of smell important to him?
7. How might the author's annual rendezvous be important, especially this year?
8. What takes place in "September 20 Clearcuts"?
9. What is Adam's Hill? What is the purpose of the information about Adam's Hill?
10. What does the author notice in "October 6 Cherry HIll Drive"? Why might this be important?
This section contains 1,199 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)