|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the evening chorus dies off, what does the author do?
(a) He records the songs of the birds.
(b) He sleeps in late.
(c) He wakes very early for the dawn chorus.
(d) He grows tired of the birds.
2. The author observes what in the section "The Moon"?
(a) The moon.
(b) The sun.
(c) The night sky.
(d) The stars.
3. In "Beginnings," the author tells us that he has what kind of contact with the outside world?
(a) A telephone in the neighbor's outhouse.
(b) A telephone in his bedroom.
(c) A cell phone.
(d) A walkie-talkie.
4. "October 3 The Annual Rendezvous" is about __________________.
(a) A party the author attends every year.
(b) A faculty meeting held for all college professors.
(c) A party that the author hosts up on the mountain every year.
(d) A dinner meeting the author holds every year for his colleagues.
5. Though the pair is hunting on election day, the author observes what?
(a) He feels the need to vote.
(b) It really has no meaning to them, so removed from the real world.
(c) There are quite a few others out hunting instead of voting.
(d) He wonders who he would have voted for.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the author and his son go In "Early September"?
2. What is "October 10 Home Chores" about?
3. The author notices the trees and flowers blooming and climbs up into _______________ where he has built a lookout to observe the natural world.
4. In "November 8-9 Jack?" the author observes a group of ravens that he has done what for?
5. What does the author notice about the plants in the shade?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Adam's Hill? What is the purpose of the information about Adam's Hill?
2. What happens to the author's vegetables? How might he feel about this?
3. How does Jack act like other ravens? How does the author predict this?
4. Describe "October 1 The Foliage." How is "October 1 The Foliage" an important chapter?
5. How is "October 26-30" an important chapter?
6. What takes place in "August 4 Wanderers"?
7. How are trees a good source of energy? What can the reader learn from this?
8. What takes place in "September 27 Starting a Sugar Shack"?
9. Why does chopping wood make the author happy? What does this reveal about him?
10. What takes place in "The Time of Birdsong"? Why is this important to the author?
This section contains 1,231 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)