|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "April 4 Returns," what does the author spend the night doing?
(c) Boiling sap.
(d) Watching television.
2. When the author and his friend get to the stream, can any fish be found?
(a) Yes, but not at first.
(b) Yes, many.
(c) Yes, a few.
3. Whom does the author ask to go fishing with him in "May 4 Smelting"?
4. On December 9, the author returns to his cabin in the woods just in time for what event?
(a) The winter solstice.
(b) A partial lunar eclipse.
(c) A full lunar eclipse.
(d) A solar eclipse.
5. The author describes the awakening life in what chapter?
(a) "April 3 Ice Fishing."
(b) "March 31".
(c) "April 1."
(d) "April 2 Dreams."
6. In "March 25 Birch Seeds," how many birch seeds are shed by the tree?
7. How does Stuart feel about his father?
(a) He is very annoyed.
(b) He is very embarrassed.
(c) He is very proud.
(d) He is very angry.
8. The author is quite proud about __________.
(a) The progress of the ravens.
(b) The progress of his cutting.
(c) The progress of his research.
(d) The progress of his garden.
9. In another very detailed dream, he is looking for a place to rest but is suddenly swept away by ______________ elephants.
10. In what chapter does the author note how many activities and responsibilities he has taken on?
(a) "April 11."
(b) "April 2."
(c) "April 1."
(d) "April 20."
11. In "January 20 Coyotes," what is the man, which the author just happens upon, doing?
(b) Trying to find his way home.
(c) Chasing and killing coyotes with his dogs.
(d) Hunting deer.
12. How does the sample surprise the author?
(a) How dirty the water was.
(b) How much life is down there.
(c) How many dangerous organisms live there.
(d) How much pollution accompanied those organisms.
13. In "March 14 After the Storm," why does the author go into town again?
(a) To talk to his friends.
(b) To find dead cattle.
(c) To buy supplies.
(d) To have breakfast at the diner.
14. What holiday is "February 2"?
(a) President's Day.
(b) Martin Luther King Day.
(c) Groundhog Day.
(d) Boxing Day.
15. The author dissects the cocoon and discovers a great deal about _____________.
(a) The beetle's development in the cocoon and his escape.
(b) The fly's development in the cocoon and his escape.
(c) The moth's development in the cocoon and his escape.
(d) The butterfly's development in the cocoon and his escape.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the way back to the car, what does the author find?
2. What kind of fish does the author consider the perch to be?
3. In the last section, "May 24 Graduation," the author makes the trip back to his university to see ________ graduate.
4. While driving along the way to take his son back, what does the author see?
5. In "Excursions," what creatures are endangered because of high quantities of mercury and PCB in the water?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)