|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In another very detailed dream, he is looking for a place to rest but is suddenly swept away by ______________ elephants.
2. In this section, whom does the farmer meet with at the cabin?
(a) A local farmer.
(b) The lumber company.
(c) The dairy farmer.
(d) His neighbor.
3. In "April 4 Returns," what does the author spend the night doing?
(a) Watching television.
(b) Boiling sap.
4. In "April 8," what does the author check out on a dairy farm?
(a) The dairy products made there.
(b) A cow.
(c) The farm's machinery.
(d) A raven's nest.
5. Though the weather is still cold in "March 16," the author can see the tracks and furrows of many animals. What does he search for as the sun comes out?
(a) Kinglet's nests.
(b) Raven's nests.
(c) Robin's nests.
(d) Bald eagle's nests.
6. How does the sample surprise the author?
(a) How much life is down there.
(b) How dirty the water was.
(c) How many dangerous organisms live there.
(d) How much pollution accompanied those organisms.
7. In "April 2 Dreams," the author remembers a couple of dreams from how long ago?
(a) Hours before.
(b) Years before.
(c) Nights before.
(d) Decades before.
8. How does the author act with the townspeople?
(a) He jokes around with them.
(b) He ignores them.
(c) He is pleasant.
(d) He teases them.
9. In "Excursions," the author and one of his students pull up samples of insects from ________.
(a) Below the ice in the stream.
(b) An old bird's nest.
(c) Near a tree.
(d) The mud.
10. In "December 4," the author decides to make the trip ________.
(a) Back home.
(b) Into town.
(c) To another cabin.
(d) Into the forest.
11. In "January 31," the author must deal with extreme cold weather as well as the return of _______.
(a) The ravens.
(b) The deer.
(c) The flies.
(d) The mice.
12. The author has become rather sick of celebrating __________________ in the traditional American way.
13. The author dissects the cocoon and discovers a great deal about _____________.
(a) The butterfly's development in the cocoon and his escape.
(b) The moth's development in the cocoon and his escape.
(c) The beetle's development in the cocoon and his escape.
(d) The fly's development in the cocoon and his escape.
14. What kind of fish does the author consider the perch to be?
(a) Rare fish.
(b) Trash fish.
(c) Good fish.
(d) Expensive fish.
15. For how many days does the intensive class which the author teaches every winter at his cabin last?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "November 28 More Flies," how does the the author attempt to rid his cabin of flies?
2. The author stumbles upon _________ moose.
3. What is the mood of the people as they stock up for a big storm in "March 13 Storm Warnings"?
4. In "December 21," the author discovers that a local squirrel has stashed __________ all along the path.
5. In "December 12 Rump Steak," the author discovers that the steak that he thought a friendly neighbor left him to enjoy through the winter was actually what?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)