|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author also writes about the miniature plants left over from _________that make their homes close to the ground?
(a) The previous owner of the cabin.
(b) Previous ice ages.
(c) A couple of centuries ago.
(d) Previous generations of settlers.
2. For how many days does the intensive class which the author teaches every winter at his cabin last?
3. On December 9, the author returns to his cabin in the woods just in time for what event?
(a) A partial lunar eclipse.
(b) A solar eclipse.
(c) The winter solstice.
(d) A full lunar eclipse.
4. When the author and his friend get to the stream, can any fish be found?
(a) Yes, but not at first.
(b) Yes, many.
(c) Yes, a few.
5. What surprises the author about the firefly larva which he finds on his way to the cabin?
(a) It is identical to the adult.
(b) It is the same size as the adult.
(c) It is nothing like the adult.
(d) It is glowing just like the adult.
6. Why did the author have an easy time seeing the tracks of various animals?
(a) He had binoculars.
(b) A thick blanket of snow had fallen the night before.
(c) The ground was very muddy.
(d) He was laying on the ground.
7. What occurs in "January 13"?
(a) A huge snow storm.
(b) The author comes face to face with a moose.
(c) The author's son comes to visit.
(d) An earthquake.
8. The author concluded that the squirrels had developed a way of making ___________.
(a) Their own gum.
(b) Their own nests.
(c) Their own sugar.
(d) Their own maple syrup.
9. In "Excursions," the author and one of his students pull up samples of insects from ________.
(a) The mud.
(b) Near a tree.
(c) An old bird's nest.
(d) Below the ice in the stream.
10. The author is intrigued that the grubs don't seem affected by __________.
(a) Loud noises.
(b) The extreme cold.
(c) His touching them.
(d) His smell.
11. In "December 12 Rump Steak," the author discovers that the steak that he thought a friendly neighbor left him to enjoy through the winter was actually what?
(a) Spoiled meat meant for his ravens.
(b) Meant for the coyotes.
(c) Meant for his birthday.
(d) Meant for his dogs.
12. At the end of the section, where is the author when he encounters a deer?
(a) Hiking the trails.
(b) Up in his tree.
(c) Going for a run.
(d) Sitting outside his cabin.
13. The author and his neighbor _________ go ice fishing in "April 3 Ice Fishing."
14. In "April 21," the author and Stuart, his son, take ___________.
(a) A swim in the river.
(b) A vacation.
(c) A drawing course together.
(d) A walk in the woods.
15. In the last section, "May 24 Graduation," the author makes the trip back to his university to see ________ graduate.
(a) His daughter.
(b) His daughter and one of his doctoral students.
(c) His son.
(d) His son and daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "January 31," the author must deal with extreme cold weather as well as the return of _______.
2. How does the author act with the townspeople?
3. In "January 6 A Discussion," what does the author notice that he might be a little odd for doing?
4. After thinking about some bizarre encounters that he recently had with the logging company, what does the author decide?
5. What does the author set out to do in "November 25 Connections"?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)