|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the author goes for a walk in his snowshoes, what does he observe?
(a) The tracks of bears.
(b) The tracks of many different animals.
(c) The tracks of ravens.
(d) The tracks of deer.
2. The author notes the changing seasons and decides his favorite season is ____________.
(a) Always the current one.
3. When the elephants disappear, the author notices that the ground is covered with _______.
4. The farmer also sells some_________ here and there to make money.
5. In "December 12 Rump Steak," the author discovers that the steak that he thought a friendly neighbor left him to enjoy through the winter was actually what?
(a) Spoiled meat meant for his ravens.
(b) Meant for his birthday.
(c) Meant for his dogs.
(d) Meant for the coyotes.
6. The author decides to make maple syrup with whom?
(a) His son.
(b) His students.
(c) His wife.
(d) His neighbor.
7. What surprises the author about the firefly larva which he finds on his way to the cabin?
(a) It is nothing like the adult.
(b) It is the same size as the adult.
(c) It is identical to the adult.
(d) It is glowing just like the adult.
8. The author and his neighbor _________ go ice fishing in "April 3 Ice Fishing."
9. According to the farmer, how do most people use the dead calves?
(a) To feed cattle.
(b) To bait coyotes.
(c) To bait bears.
(d) To feed ravens.
10. What holiday is "February 2"?
(a) Groundhog Day.
(b) Boxing Day.
(c) President's Day.
(d) Martin Luther King Day.
11. In "December 4," the author decides to make the trip ________.
(a) Back home.
(b) Into town.
(c) To another cabin.
(d) Into the forest.
12. What kind of fish does the author consider the perch to be?
(a) Expensive fish.
(b) Good fish.
(c) Trash fish.
(d) Rare fish.
13. In "March 25 Birch Seeds," how many birch seeds are shed by the tree?
14. What occurs in "January 13"?
(a) The author comes face to face with a moose.
(b) A huge snow storm.
(c) The author's son comes to visit.
(d) An earthquake.
15. In "March 30 Cocoons," the author finds an old cocoon from _________.
(a) A beetle.
(b) A fly.
(c) A butterfly.
(d) A moth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the author take a trip to in "May 2"?
2. At the end of the section, where is the author when he encounters a deer?
3. The author concluded that the squirrels had developed a way of making ___________.
4. Where are the students who arrive in "December 29 Winter Ecology" from?
5. In his _______________ orchard he notices that below the snow, the mice had been active at gnawing away on the bark of the trees.
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)