|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author and his son watch a ______________ fly up into the sky and then circle back down to the ground.
(c) Canadian goose.
2. The author ponders about the first Native Americans who discovered __________.
(a) How to cook squirrel.
(b) How to catch squirrels.
(c) How to hunt.
(d) How to make maple syrup.
3. In "April 8," what does the author check out on a dairy farm?
(a) A raven's nest.
(b) The dairy products made there.
(c) The farm's machinery.
(d) A cow.
4. The author spends Christmas with whom in "December 25"?
(a) His neighbors.
(b) The squirrels.
(c) The ravens.
(d) His family.
5. In "March 14 Storm" what is the author beginning to feel?
(b) Cabin fever.
6. In another very detailed dream, he is looking for a place to rest but is suddenly swept away by ______________ elephants.
7. Why does the author make a trip in "December 4"?
(a) To visit friends.
(b) To buy more supplies.
(c) To see his son, Stuart.
(d) He is bored.
8. When the author and his friend get to the stream, can any fish be found?
(a) Yes, a few.
(c) Yes, but not at first.
(d) Yes, many.
9. For what sound does the author still listen intently?
(a) The raven.
(b) The kinglet.
(c) The robin.
(d) The sparrow.
10. What happens when the author comes down from the tree and onto the ground?
(a) The deer comes to him.
(b) The deer walks away.
(c) The deer runs away.
(d) The deer stays frozen.
11. The author believes he may be wanted as __________ in "The Spiker."
(a) A terrorist.
(b) A mass murderer.
(c) An eco-terrorist.
(d) A thief.
12. In this section, whom does the farmer meet with at the cabin?
(a) His neighbor.
(b) The lumber company.
(c) A local farmer.
(d) The dairy farmer.
13. In "November 28 More Flies," how does the the author attempt to rid his cabin of flies?
(a) He sprays them with poison.
(b) He sucks them up in the dustbuster.
(c) He steps on them.
(d) He hits them with a fly swatter.
14. Where can moss grow?
(a) In very dry locations.
(b) In strong sunlight.
(c) On rotting stumps and trees, in decaying grass, on rocks and ridges, and sometimes just on the bare ground.
(d) Very few places.
15. In "March 25 Birch Seeds," how many birch seeds are shed by the tree?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Excursions," the author and one of his students pull up samples of insects from ________.
2. The author describes the awakening life in what chapter?
3. In "December 12 Rump Steak," the author discovers that the steak that he thought a friendly neighbor left him to enjoy through the winter was actually what?
4. In "April 4 Returns," what does the author spend the night doing?
5. The farmer also sells some_________ here and there to make money.
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)