|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Excursions," what creatures are endangered because of high quantities of mercury and PCB in the water?
(a) Sea gulls.
(c) Blue herons.
(d) Bald eagles.
2. What does the author begin in "March 23"?
(a) The squirrel hunt.
(b) The sugar-making operation.
(c) The squirrel observations.
(d) The syrup-making operation.
3. In "April 4 Returns," what does the author spend the night doing?
(a) Boiling sap.
(b) Watching television.
4. The author stumbles upon _________ moose.
5. In "January 6 A Discussion," what does the author notice that he might be a little odd for doing?
(a) Hauling around road kill in the back of his pick up truck.
(b) Living in the woods alone.
(c) Teaching in his cabin.
(d) Hunting for his food.
6. How does the sample surprise the author?
(a) How much life is down there.
(b) How much pollution accompanied those organisms.
(c) How many dangerous organisms live there.
(d) How dirty the water was.
7. In "January 31," the author must deal with extreme cold weather as well as the return of _______.
(a) The ravens.
(b) The deer.
(c) The flies.
(d) The mice.
8. Though the weather is still cold in "March 16," the author can see the tracks and furrows of many animals. What does he search for as the sun comes out?
(a) Kinglet's nests.
(b) Bald eagle's nests.
(c) Robin's nests.
(d) Raven's nests.
9. Where are the students who arrive in "December 29 Winter Ecology" from?
(a) The author's university.
(b) The author's high school.
(c) All over the country.
(d) All over Maine.
10. How does Stuart feel about his father?
(a) He is very proud.
(b) He is very angry.
(c) He is very embarrassed.
(d) He is very annoyed.
11. In "December 21," the author discovers that a local squirrel has stashed __________ all along the path.
12. The author drives his son back to _____________ in "April 28."
(a) New Hampshire.
(c) New York.
13. In "April 28 Free Search," the author goes on a nature walk _______________.
(a) Without looking where he was going.
(b) Without paying attention to where he was.
(c) Without looking for anything in particular.
(d) Looking for something in particular.
14. The author ponders about the first Native Americans who discovered __________.
(a) How to hunt.
(b) How to cook squirrel.
(c) How to make maple syrup.
(d) How to catch squirrels.
15. In "November 28 More Flies," how does the the author attempt to rid his cabin of flies?
(a) He hits them with a fly swatter.
(b) He sprays them with poison.
(c) He sucks them up in the dustbuster.
(d) He steps on them.
Short Answer Questions
1. The farmer also sells some_________ here and there to make money.
2. The author visits his son's school in __________________.
3. The author notes how perceptive the ravens are to _____________.
4. In "April 2 Dreams," the author remembers a couple of dreams from how long ago?
5. In another very detailed dream, he is looking for a place to rest but is suddenly swept away by ______________ elephants.
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)