|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the author act with the townspeople?
(a) He jokes around with them.
(b) He ignores them.
(c) He is pleasant.
(d) He teases them.
2. Where are the students who arrive in "December 29 Winter Ecology" from?
(a) The author's high school.
(b) All over Maine.
(c) All over the country.
(d) The author's university.
3. When the elephants disappear, the author notices that the ground is covered with _______.
4. The author is quite proud about __________.
(a) The progress of his garden.
(b) The progress of his cutting.
(c) The progress of the ravens.
(d) The progress of his research.
5. According to the author, where do the most successful nest builders place their nests?
(a) Near the ground.
(b) In the most unlikely places.
(c) In high trees.
(d) On his roof.
6. The author believes he may be wanted as __________ in "The Spiker."
(a) A terrorist.
(b) A mass murderer.
(c) A thief.
(d) An eco-terrorist.
7. Whom does the author ask to go fishing with him in "May 4 Smelting"?
8. The author describes the awakening life in what chapter?
(a) "April 2 Dreams."
(b) "April 1."
(c) "March 31".
(d) "April 3 Ice Fishing."
9. When the deer looks at him, what does the author do?
(a) He stares at her.
(b) He calls to her.
(c) He runs.
(d) He drops an apple on her head.
10. In the section "Moss Watch," the author describes the various types of ________________ he can see around his cabin.
(a) Spiders and flies.
(b) Mice and rats.
(c) Flowers and plants.
(d) Moss and lichen.
11. In "March 25 Birch Seeds," how many birch seeds are shed by the tree?
12. In his _______________ orchard he notices that below the snow, the mice had been active at gnawing away on the bark of the trees.
13. The author stumbles upon _________ moose.
14. The author concluded that the squirrels had developed a way of making ___________.
(a) Their own nests.
(b) Their own maple syrup.
(c) Their own sugar.
(d) Their own gum.
15. The author and his son watch a ______________ fly up into the sky and then circle back down to the ground.
(b) Canadian goose.
Short Answer Questions
1. On December 9, the author returns to his cabin in the woods just in time for what event?
2. In "January 20 Coyotes," what is the man, which the author just happens upon, doing?
3. In what chapter does it rain all day?
4. How does the sample surprise the author?
5. Where can moss grow?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)