|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why might the squirrels be biting down into the bark?
(a) To eat the bark.
(b) To catch bugs in the bark.
(c) To drill a hole in the bark to make a nest.
(d) To allow the sap to escape.
2. The author dissects the cocoon and discovers a great deal about _____________.
(a) The butterfly's development in the cocoon and his escape.
(b) The fly's development in the cocoon and his escape.
(c) The beetle's development in the cocoon and his escape.
(d) The moth's development in the cocoon and his escape.
3. The author spends Christmas with whom in "December 25"?
(a) The ravens.
(b) His neighbors.
(c) His family.
(d) The squirrels.
4. The author stumbles upon _________ moose.
5. In "Excursions," what creatures are endangered because of high quantities of mercury and PCB in the water?
(a) Bald eagles.
(b) Sea gulls.
(c) Blue herons.
6. When the author and his friend get to the stream, can any fish be found?
(a) Yes, many.
(b) Yes, but not at first.
(d) Yes, a few.
7. In "December 21," the author discovers that a local squirrel has stashed __________ all along the path.
8. What holiday is "February 2"?
(a) Martin Luther King Day.
(b) Boxing Day.
(c) Groundhog Day.
(d) President's Day.
9. Even though the author has not killed a deer or even fired a shot, why does he declare it a successful season?
(a) He has observed all kinds of animals he may never have encountered if he was not hunting.
(b) He enjoyed spending time with his nephew.
(c) He did not want to kill any deer.
(d) He liked being outside.
10. How does the sample surprise the author?
(a) How dirty the water was.
(b) How much life is down there.
(c) How much pollution accompanied those organisms.
(d) How many dangerous organisms live there.
11. In "November 28 More Flies," how does the the author attempt to rid his cabin of flies?
(a) He sprays them with poison.
(b) He steps on them.
(c) He sucks them up in the dustbuster.
(d) He hits them with a fly swatter.
12. How does Stuart feel about his father?
(a) He is very annoyed.
(b) He is very proud.
(c) He is very angry.
(d) He is very embarrassed.
13. While driving along the way to take his son back, what does the author see?
(a) Heat of summer.
(b) Insects of spring.
(c) Animals of spring.
(d) Flowers of spring.
14. In what chapter does it rain all day?
(a) "April 20."
(b) "April 11."
(c) "April 26."
(d) "April 30."
15. According to the farmer, how do most people use the dead calves?
(a) To feed ravens.
(b) To bait bears.
(c) To feed cattle.
(d) To bait coyotes.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what chapter does the author note how many activities and responsibilities he has taken on?
2. The author finds a female _______________ near his cabin and follows her on her search for food.
3. Why does the author make a trip in "December 4"?
4. The author notes the changing seasons and decides his favorite season is ____________.
5. In "March 25 Birch Seeds," how many birch seeds are shed by the tree?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)