|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why might the squirrels be biting down into the bark?
(a) To drill a hole in the bark to make a nest.
(b) To eat the bark.
(c) To allow the sap to escape.
(d) To catch bugs in the bark.
2. In "November 28 More Flies," how does the the author attempt to rid his cabin of flies?
(a) He steps on them.
(b) He hits them with a fly swatter.
(c) He sucks them up in the dustbuster.
(d) He sprays them with poison.
3. In "January 31," the author must deal with extreme cold weather as well as the return of _______.
(a) The flies.
(b) The deer.
(c) The ravens.
(d) The mice.
4. In "March 20-21 First Tappers," what does the author notice about the squirrels?
(a) They look ill.
(b) They are very fat.
(c) Strange behavior.
(d) They look confused.
5. The author is intrigued that the grubs don't seem affected by __________.
(a) His smell.
(b) His touching them.
(c) Loud noises.
(d) The extreme cold.
6. Though the weather is still cold in "March 16," the author can see the tracks and furrows of many animals. What does he search for as the sun comes out?
(a) Kinglet's nests.
(b) Bald eagle's nests.
(c) Robin's nests.
(d) Raven's nests.
7. How does the sample surprise the author?
(a) How much pollution accompanied those organisms.
(b) How many dangerous organisms live there.
(c) How much life is down there.
(d) How dirty the water was.
8. The author describes the awakening life in what chapter?
(a) "April 3 Ice Fishing."
(b) "April 2 Dreams."
(c) "March 31".
(d) "April 1."
9. After thinking about some bizarre encounters that he recently had with the logging company, what does the author decide?
(a) They must be watching him.
(b) He wants to be an eco-terrorist.
(c) They must trust him.
(d) The logging company is dangerous.
10. Why did the author have an easy time seeing the tracks of various animals?
(a) He was laying on the ground.
(b) He had binoculars.
(c) The ground was very muddy.
(d) A thick blanket of snow had fallen the night before.
11. What does the author do before cooking and eating the fish that he and his neighbor catch?
(a) He sketches them.
(b) He dissects them.
(c) He studies them.
(d) He tests them for disease.
12. Even though the author has not killed a deer or even fired a shot, why does he declare it a successful season?
(a) He did not want to kill any deer.
(b) He has observed all kinds of animals he may never have encountered if he was not hunting.
(c) He liked being outside.
(d) He enjoyed spending time with his nephew.
13. At the end of the section, where is the author when he encounters a deer?
(a) Up in his tree.
(b) Going for a run.
(c) Sitting outside his cabin.
(d) Hiking the trails.
14. The author and his neighbor _________ go ice fishing in "April 3 Ice Fishing."
15. In "April 2 Dreams," the author remembers a couple of dreams from how long ago?
(a) Decades before.
(b) Years before.
(c) Nights before.
(d) Hours before.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "December 21," the author discovers that a local squirrel has stashed __________ all along the path.
2. In "March 14 Storm" what is the author beginning to feel?
3. In "April 28 Free Search," the author goes on a nature walk _______________.
4. On December 9, the author returns to his cabin in the woods just in time for what event?
5. In "Excursions," what creatures are endangered because of high quantities of mercury and PCB in the water?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)