|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "January 31," the author must deal with extreme cold weather as well as the return of _______.
(a) The ravens.
(b) The deer.
(c) The mice.
(d) The flies.
2. In "January 20 Coyotes," what is the man, which the author just happens upon, doing?
(a) Chasing and killing coyotes with his dogs.
(b) Hunting deer.
(d) Trying to find his way home.
3. The author ponders about the first Native Americans who discovered __________.
(a) How to hunt.
(b) How to cook squirrel.
(c) How to make maple syrup.
(d) How to catch squirrels.
4. Where can moss grow?
(a) In strong sunlight.
(b) Very few places.
(c) In very dry locations.
(d) On rotting stumps and trees, in decaying grass, on rocks and ridges, and sometimes just on the bare ground.
5. The author notes how perceptive the ravens are to _____________.
6. After thinking about some bizarre encounters that he recently had with the logging company, what does the author decide?
(a) They must trust him.
(b) The logging company is dangerous.
(c) He wants to be an eco-terrorist.
(d) They must be watching him.
7. At the end of the section, where is the author when he encounters a deer?
(a) Going for a run.
(b) Sitting outside his cabin.
(c) Up in his tree.
(d) Hiking the trails.
8. What does the author see the squirrels licking?
(a) All the maple trees.
(b) The snow.
(c) Some select maple trees.
(d) Their fur.
9. In the last section, "May 24 Graduation," the author makes the trip back to his university to see ________ graduate.
(a) His son and daughter.
(b) His daughter.
(c) His daughter and one of his doctoral students.
(d) His son.
10. In what chapter does the author note how many activities and responsibilities he has taken on?
(a) "April 2."
(b) "April 20."
(c) "April 11."
(d) "April 1."
11. In this section, whom does the farmer meet with at the cabin?
(a) The dairy farmer.
(b) The lumber company.
(c) His neighbor.
(d) A local farmer.
12. The author spends Christmas with whom in "December 25"?
(a) The ravens.
(b) His neighbors.
(c) His family.
(d) The squirrels.
13. The author is quite proud about __________.
(a) The progress of his garden.
(b) The progress of his research.
(c) The progress of the ravens.
(d) The progress of his cutting.
14. In "April 8," what does the author check out on a dairy farm?
(a) A raven's nest.
(b) A cow.
(c) The farm's machinery.
(d) The dairy products made there.
15. Where are the students who arrive in "December 29 Winter Ecology" from?
(a) All over the country.
(b) The author's university.
(c) The author's high school.
(d) All over Maine.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "March 20-21 First Tappers," what does the author notice about the squirrels?
2. What happens when the author comes down from the tree and onto the ground?
3. What is the mood of the people as they stock up for a big storm in "March 13 Storm Warnings"?
4. In "April 2 Dreams," the author remembers a couple of dreams from how long ago?
5. Though the weather is still cold in "March 16," the author can see the tracks and furrows of many animals. What does he search for as the sun comes out?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)