|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the section "Moss Watch," the author describes the various types of ________________ he can see around his cabin.
(a) Flowers and plants.
(b) Mice and rats.
(c) Spiders and flies.
(d) Moss and lichen.
2. While driving along the way to take his son back, what does the author see?
(a) Flowers of spring.
(b) Heat of summer.
(c) Insects of spring.
(d) Animals of spring.
3. While in town, for what does he find a lead?
(a) Some dead cattle.
(b) Food supplies.
4. Where can moss grow?
(a) On rotting stumps and trees, in decaying grass, on rocks and ridges, and sometimes just on the bare ground.
(b) In strong sunlight.
(c) Very few places.
(d) In very dry locations.
5. On the way back to the car, what does the author find?
(a) Animal tracks.
(b) A deer and flies.
(c) A moose and many tiny spiders.
(d) Many mice.
6. The author and his son watch a ______________ fly up into the sky and then circle back down to the ground.
(a) Canadian goose.
7. What occurs in "January 13"?
(a) The author's son comes to visit.
(b) The author comes face to face with a moose.
(c) An earthquake.
(d) A huge snow storm.
8. Where does the author take a trip to in "May 2"?
(a) To Bog Stream.
(b) To New York City.
(c) To Vermont.
(d) To town.
9. In "April 8," what does the author check out on a dairy farm?
(a) A raven's nest.
(b) A cow.
(c) The dairy products made there.
(d) The farm's machinery.
10. Why does the author make a trip in "December 4"?
(a) He is bored.
(b) To see his son, Stuart.
(c) To visit friends.
(d) To buy more supplies.
11. How does the author act with the townspeople?
(a) He ignores them.
(b) He jokes around with them.
(c) He teases them.
(d) He is pleasant.
12. Why might the squirrels be biting down into the bark?
(a) To allow the sap to escape.
(b) To drill a hole in the bark to make a nest.
(c) To catch bugs in the bark.
(d) To eat the bark.
13. In what chapter does the author note how many activities and responsibilities he has taken on?
(a) "April 1."
(b) "April 20."
(c) "April 11."
(d) "April 2."
14. In "January 20 Coyotes," what is the man, which the author just happens upon, doing?
(b) Hunting deer.
(c) Chasing and killing coyotes with his dogs.
(d) Trying to find his way home.
15. In "April 2 Dreams," the author remembers a couple of dreams from how long ago?
(a) Hours before.
(b) Nights before.
(c) Decades before.
(d) Years before.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author and his neighbor _________ go ice fishing in "April 3 Ice Fishing."
2. How does the sample surprise the author?
3. When the deer looks at him, what does the author do?
4. What does the author set out to do in "November 25 Connections"?
5. In "December 12 Rump Steak," the author discovers that the steak that he thought a friendly neighbor left him to enjoy through the winter was actually what?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)