|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author see the squirrels licking?
(a) The snow.
(b) All the maple trees.
(c) Some select maple trees.
(d) Their fur.
2. The author believes he may be wanted as __________ in "The Spiker."
(a) A terrorist.
(b) A thief.
(c) A mass murderer.
(d) An eco-terrorist.
3. What does the author begin in "March 23"?
(a) The squirrel observations.
(b) The squirrel hunt.
(c) The syrup-making operation.
(d) The sugar-making operation.
4. In "December 12 Rump Steak," the author discovers that the steak that he thought a friendly neighbor left him to enjoy through the winter was actually what?
(a) Meant for the coyotes.
(b) Meant for his birthday.
(c) Meant for his dogs.
(d) Spoiled meat meant for his ravens.
5. In the last section, "May 24 Graduation," the author makes the trip back to his university to see ________ graduate.
(a) His daughter and one of his doctoral students.
(b) His son.
(c) His son and daughter.
(d) His daughter.
6. For what sound does the author still listen intently?
(a) The robin.
(b) The raven.
(c) The sparrow.
(d) The kinglet.
7. The author has become rather sick of celebrating __________________ in the traditional American way.
8. Whom does the author ask to go fishing with him in "May 4 Smelting"?
9. The author and his neighbor _________ go ice fishing in "April 3 Ice Fishing."
10. The author stumbles upon _________ moose.
11. Where are the students who arrive in "December 29 Winter Ecology" from?
(a) All over the country.
(b) The author's university.
(c) All over Maine.
(d) The author's high school.
12. When the deer looks at him, what does the author do?
(a) He stares at her.
(b) He runs.
(c) He drops an apple on her head.
(d) He calls to her.
13. According to the farmer, how do most people use the dead calves?
(a) To bait bears.
(b) To feed cattle.
(c) To feed ravens.
(d) To bait coyotes.
14. How does Stuart feel about his father?
(a) He is very annoyed.
(b) He is very embarrassed.
(c) He is very proud.
(d) He is very angry.
15. The author and his son watch a ______________ fly up into the sky and then circle back down to the ground.
(b) Canadian goose.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what chapter does the author note how many activities and responsibilities he has taken on?
2. In "January 31," the author must deal with extreme cold weather as well as the return of _______.
3. The author concluded that the squirrels had developed a way of making ___________.
4. In "Excursions," what creatures are endangered because of high quantities of mercury and PCB in the water?
5. While driving along the way to take his son back, what does the author see?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)