|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author begin in "March 23"?
(a) The squirrel hunt.
(b) The syrup-making operation.
(c) The squirrel observations.
(d) The sugar-making operation.
2. In another very detailed dream, he is looking for a place to rest but is suddenly swept away by ______________ elephants.
3. What does the author set out to do in "November 25 Connections"?
(a) Go deer hunting.
(b) Go duck hunting.
(c) Go turkey hunting.
(d) Go moose hunting.
4. The author stumbles upon _________ moose.
5. According to the author, where do the most successful nest builders place their nests?
(a) On his roof.
(b) In the most unlikely places.
(c) Near the ground.
(d) In high trees.
6. While driving along the way to take his son back, what does the author see?
(a) Animals of spring.
(b) Flowers of spring.
(c) Heat of summer.
(d) Insects of spring.
7. Why might the squirrels be biting down into the bark?
(a) To eat the bark.
(b) To allow the sap to escape.
(c) To catch bugs in the bark.
(d) To drill a hole in the bark to make a nest.
8. In the section "Moss Watch," the author describes the various types of ________________ he can see around his cabin.
(a) Mice and rats.
(b) Moss and lichen.
(c) Spiders and flies.
(d) Flowers and plants.
9. What kind of fish does the author consider the perch to be?
(a) Trash fish.
(b) Good fish.
(c) Rare fish.
(d) Expensive fish.
10. In "January 31," the author must deal with extreme cold weather as well as the return of _______.
(a) The mice.
(b) The ravens.
(c) The flies.
(d) The deer.
11. Where can moss grow?
(a) In very dry locations.
(b) On rotting stumps and trees, in decaying grass, on rocks and ridges, and sometimes just on the bare ground.
(c) In strong sunlight.
(d) Very few places.
12. In "December 4," the author decides to make the trip ________.
(a) Back home.
(b) Into town.
(c) Into the forest.
(d) To another cabin.
13. The author also writes about the miniature plants left over from _________that make their homes close to the ground?
(a) A couple of centuries ago.
(b) Previous generations of settlers.
(c) The previous owner of the cabin.
(d) Previous ice ages.
14. The author decides to make maple syrup with whom?
(a) His wife.
(b) His neighbor.
(c) His son.
(d) His students.
15. In "April 2 Dreams," the author remembers a couple of dreams from how long ago?
(a) Years before.
(b) Decades before.
(c) Hours before.
(d) Nights before.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author concluded that the squirrels had developed a way of making ___________.
2. The author ponders about the first Native Americans who discovered __________.
3. In "March 14 After the Storm," why does the author go into town again?
4. The author describes the awakening life in what chapter?
5. In the stump of an old __________ the author finds many wide, deep grub holes.
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)