|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Cows," why does the author go into town?
(a) To have a meal at the diner.
(b) To buy supplies.
(c) To meet with friends.
(d) To see his son.
2. On the way back to the car, what does the author find?
(a) Many mice.
(b) A deer and flies.
(c) A moose and many tiny spiders.
(d) Animal tracks.
3. The author visits his son's school in __________________.
(a) "December 11."
(b) "December 10."
(c) "December 9."
(d) "December 8."
4. In "March 14 After the Storm," why does the author go into town again?
(a) To have breakfast at the diner.
(b) To talk to his friends.
(c) To find dead cattle.
(d) To buy supplies.
5. In "January 31," the author must deal with extreme cold weather as well as the return of _______.
(a) The mice.
(b) The flies.
(c) The ravens.
(d) The deer.
6. In "January 20 Coyotes," what is the man, which the author just happens upon, doing?
(a) Chasing and killing coyotes with his dogs.
(b) Trying to find his way home.
(d) Hunting deer.
7. When the deer looks at him, what does the author do?
(a) He runs.
(b) He stares at her.
(c) He calls to her.
(d) He drops an apple on her head.
8. In another very detailed dream, he is looking for a place to rest but is suddenly swept away by ______________ elephants.
9. The author also writes about the miniature plants left over from _________that make their homes close to the ground?
(a) A couple of centuries ago.
(b) Previous generations of settlers.
(c) Previous ice ages.
(d) The previous owner of the cabin.
10. The author and his neighbor _________ go ice fishing in "April 3 Ice Fishing."
11. In "Excursions," what creatures are endangered because of high quantities of mercury and PCB in the water?
(b) Bald eagles.
(c) Sea gulls.
(d) Blue herons.
12. What holiday is "February 2"?
(a) Martin Luther King Day.
(b) Groundhog Day.
(c) Boxing Day.
(d) President's Day.
13. The author dissects the cocoon and discovers a great deal about _____________.
(a) The butterfly's development in the cocoon and his escape.
(b) The fly's development in the cocoon and his escape.
(c) The moth's development in the cocoon and his escape.
(d) The beetle's development in the cocoon and his escape.
14. The author and his son watch a ______________ fly up into the sky and then circle back down to the ground.
(a) Canadian goose.
15. After thinking about some bizarre encounters that he recently had with the logging company, what does the author decide?
(a) He wants to be an eco-terrorist.
(b) They must be watching him.
(c) They must trust him.
(d) The logging company is dangerous.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the last section, "May 24 Graduation," the author makes the trip back to his university to see ________ graduate.
2. The author drives his son back to _____________ in "April 28."
3. The author finds a female _______________ near his cabin and follows her on her search for food.
4. What does the author get from a farm for his ravens?
5. The author describes the awakening life in what chapter?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)