|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author and his son watch a ______________ fly up into the sky and then circle back down to the ground.
(c) Canadian goose.
2. The author describes the awakening life in what chapter?
(a) "April 2 Dreams."
(b) "April 1."
(c) "March 31".
(d) "April 3 Ice Fishing."
3. In "November 28 More Flies," how does the the author attempt to rid his cabin of flies?
(a) He sprays them with poison.
(b) He sucks them up in the dustbuster.
(c) He steps on them.
(d) He hits them with a fly swatter.
4. When the elephants disappear, the author notices that the ground is covered with _______.
5. What surprises the author about the firefly larva which he finds on his way to the cabin?
(a) It is the same size as the adult.
(b) It is identical to the adult.
(c) It is nothing like the adult.
(d) It is glowing just like the adult.
6. In another very detailed dream, he is looking for a place to rest but is suddenly swept away by ______________ elephants.
7. In "Excursions," the author and one of his students pull up samples of insects from ________.
(a) Below the ice in the stream.
(b) The mud.
(c) An old bird's nest.
(d) Near a tree.
8. What happens when the author comes down from the tree and onto the ground?
(a) The deer runs away.
(b) The deer comes to him.
(c) The deer stays frozen.
(d) The deer walks away.
9. In "March 14 Storm" what is the author beginning to feel?
(a) Cabin fever.
10. In "January 31," the author must deal with extreme cold weather as well as the return of _______.
(a) The ravens.
(b) The deer.
(c) The flies.
(d) The mice.
11. In "March 25 Birch Seeds," how many birch seeds are shed by the tree?
12. In one he sees a huge _____________ owl starting at him.
(b) Great horned.
13. Where are the students who arrive in "December 29 Winter Ecology" from?
(a) All over Maine.
(b) All over the country.
(c) The author's university.
(d) The author's high school.
14. The author finds a female _______________ near his cabin and follows her on her search for food.
15. The author notes how perceptive the ravens are to _____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what chapter does the author note how many activities and responsibilities he has taken on?
2. For how many days does the intensive class which the author teaches every winter at his cabin last?
3. What does the author set out to do in "November 25 Connections"?
4. The author visits his son's school in __________________.
5. In "March 14 After the Storm," why does the author go into town again?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)