|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While driving along the way to take his son back, what does the author see?
(a) Animals of spring.
(b) Insects of spring.
(c) Heat of summer.
(d) Flowers of spring.
2. The author spends Christmas with whom in "December 25"?
(a) His family.
(b) The squirrels.
(c) The ravens.
(d) His neighbors.
3. In another very detailed dream, he is looking for a place to rest but is suddenly swept away by ______________ elephants.
4. According to the farmer, how do most people use the dead calves?
(a) To bait coyotes.
(b) To bait bears.
(c) To feed ravens.
(d) To feed cattle.
5. Why might the squirrels be biting down into the bark?
(a) To eat the bark.
(b) To catch bugs in the bark.
(c) To drill a hole in the bark to make a nest.
(d) To allow the sap to escape.
6. In "March 25 Birch Seeds," how many birch seeds are shed by the tree?
7. The author believes he may be wanted as __________ in "The Spiker."
(a) A terrorist.
(b) An eco-terrorist.
(c) A mass murderer.
(d) A thief.
8. The author dissects the cocoon and discovers a great deal about _____________.
(a) The moth's development in the cocoon and his escape.
(b) The fly's development in the cocoon and his escape.
(c) The butterfly's development in the cocoon and his escape.
(d) The beetle's development in the cocoon and his escape.
9. On December 9, the author returns to his cabin in the woods just in time for what event?
(a) The winter solstice.
(b) A solar eclipse.
(c) A full lunar eclipse.
(d) A partial lunar eclipse.
10. Why did the author have an easy time seeing the tracks of various animals?
(a) A thick blanket of snow had fallen the night before.
(b) The ground was very muddy.
(c) He was laying on the ground.
(d) He had binoculars.
11. In one he sees a huge _____________ owl starting at him.
(c) Great horned.
12. In "April 8," what does the author check out on a dairy farm?
(a) The dairy products made there.
(b) A cow.
(c) A raven's nest.
(d) The farm's machinery.
13. The author notes the changing seasons and decides his favorite season is ____________.
(b) Always the current one.
14. In "Excursions," the author and one of his students pull up samples of insects from ________.
(a) The mud.
(b) An old bird's nest.
(c) Below the ice in the stream.
(d) Near a tree.
15. What does the author set out to do in "November 25 Connections"?
(a) Go turkey hunting.
(b) Go moose hunting.
(c) Go deer hunting.
(d) Go duck hunting.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the last section, "May 24 Graduation," the author makes the trip back to his university to see ________ graduate.
2. The author cooks mice for the students. How do they feel about eating mouse?
3. The author and his son watch a ______________ fly up into the sky and then circle back down to the ground.
4. In the stump of an old __________ the author finds many wide, deep grub holes.
5. Where can moss grow?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)