|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author has become rather sick of celebrating __________________ in the traditional American way.
2. The author finds a female _______________ near his cabin and follows her on her search for food.
3. What does the author do before cooking and eating the fish that he and his neighbor catch?
(a) He sketches them.
(b) He studies them.
(c) He tests them for disease.
(d) He dissects them.
4. The author is quite proud about __________.
(a) The progress of his garden.
(b) The progress of his cutting.
(c) The progress of his research.
(d) The progress of the ravens.
5. In "March 20-21 First Tappers," what does the author notice about the squirrels?
(a) They look ill.
(b) They are very fat.
(c) They look confused.
(d) Strange behavior.
6. In "Cows," why does the author go into town?
(a) To have a meal at the diner.
(b) To buy supplies.
(c) To meet with friends.
(d) To see his son.
7. In "January 31," the author must deal with extreme cold weather as well as the return of _______.
(a) The mice.
(b) The ravens.
(c) The flies.
(d) The deer.
8. In "April 2 Dreams," the author remembers a couple of dreams from how long ago?
(a) Years before.
(b) Decades before.
(c) Hours before.
(d) Nights before.
9. According to the author, where do the most successful nest builders place their nests?
(a) On his roof.
(b) In the most unlikely places.
(c) Near the ground.
(d) In high trees.
10. The author and his son watch a ______________ fly up into the sky and then circle back down to the ground.
(c) Canadian goose.
11. In "January 20 Coyotes," what is the man, which the author just happens upon, doing?
(a) Trying to find his way home.
(c) Hunting deer.
(d) Chasing and killing coyotes with his dogs.
12. In "Excursions," the author and one of his students pull up samples of insects from ________.
(a) The mud.
(b) Near a tree.
(c) Below the ice in the stream.
(d) An old bird's nest.
13. The author drives his son back to _____________ in "April 28."
(c) New Hampshire.
(d) New York.
14. In the section "May 7," the author observes a few more nesting birds and notes their mating rituals are starting to _______.
(b) Be renewed.
15. What is the mood of the people as they stock up for a big storm in "March 13 Storm Warnings"?
Short Answer Questions
1. On December 9, the author returns to his cabin in the woods just in time for what event?
2. The author visits his son's school in __________________.
3. What does the author see the squirrels licking?
4. In another very detailed dream, he is looking for a place to rest but is suddenly swept away by ______________ elephants.
5. In one he sees a huge _____________ owl starting at him.
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)