|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author stumbles upon _________ moose.
2. In "April 21," the author and Stuart, his son, take ___________.
(a) A walk in the woods.
(b) A vacation.
(c) A drawing course together.
(d) A swim in the river.
3. In what chapter does the author note how many activities and responsibilities he has taken on?
(a) "April 1."
(b) "April 20."
(c) "April 2."
(d) "April 11."
4. Does the dear show fear?
(b) Yes, but very little.
(c) Yes, a little.
(d) Yes, a great deal.
5. Why might the squirrels be biting down into the bark?
(a) To drill a hole in the bark to make a nest.
(b) To allow the sap to escape.
(c) To catch bugs in the bark.
(d) To eat the bark.
6. What holiday is "February 2"?
(a) Martin Luther King Day.
(b) President's Day.
(c) Boxing Day.
(d) Groundhog Day.
7. The author visits his son's school in __________________.
(a) "December 8."
(b) "December 10."
(c) "December 11."
(d) "December 9."
8. What happens when the author comes down from the tree and onto the ground?
(a) The deer walks away.
(b) The deer runs away.
(c) The deer comes to him.
(d) The deer stays frozen.
9. In "March 20-21 First Tappers," what does the author notice about the squirrels?
(a) They look ill.
(b) Strange behavior.
(c) They look confused.
(d) They are very fat.
10. In "April 8," what does the author check out on a dairy farm?
(a) A cow.
(b) A raven's nest.
(c) The farm's machinery.
(d) The dairy products made there.
11. In "April 2 Dreams," the author remembers a couple of dreams from how long ago?
(a) Hours before.
(b) Years before.
(c) Nights before.
(d) Decades before.
12. On the way back to the car, what does the author find?
(a) A moose and many tiny spiders.
(b) Many mice.
(c) Animal tracks.
(d) A deer and flies.
13. In "March 30 Cocoons," the author finds an old cocoon from _________.
(a) A butterfly.
(b) A fly.
(c) A beetle.
(d) A moth.
14. The author is intrigued that the grubs don't seem affected by __________.
(a) His touching them.
(b) His smell.
(c) Loud noises.
(d) The extreme cold.
15. When the deer looks at him, what does the author do?
(a) He stares at her.
(b) He runs.
(c) He drops an apple on her head.
(d) He calls to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the section "May 7," the author observes a few more nesting birds and notes their mating rituals are starting to _______.
2. Even though the author has not killed a deer or even fired a shot, why does he declare it a successful season?
3. Which bog is the author's favorite?
4. The author drives his son back to _____________ in "April 28."
5. Where does the author take a trip to in "May 2"?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)