|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author set out to do in "November 25 Connections"?
(a) Go moose hunting.
(b) Go duck hunting.
(c) Go turkey hunting.
(d) Go deer hunting.
2. The farmer also sells some_________ here and there to make money.
3. In "March 20-21 First Tappers," what does the author notice about the squirrels?
(a) They look ill.
(b) They look confused.
(c) Strange behavior.
(d) They are very fat.
4. What is the mood of the people as they stock up for a big storm in "March 13 Storm Warnings"?
5. Where does the author take a trip to in "May 2"?
(a) To Bog Stream.
(b) To town.
(c) To New York City.
(d) To Vermont.
6. The author also writes about the miniature plants left over from _________that make their homes close to the ground?
(a) A couple of centuries ago.
(b) Previous ice ages.
(c) Previous generations of settlers.
(d) The previous owner of the cabin.
7. The author visits his son's school in __________________.
(a) "December 11."
(b) "December 8."
(c) "December 9."
(d) "December 10."
8. On the way back to the car, what does the author find?
(a) Many mice.
(b) Animal tracks.
(c) A deer and flies.
(d) A moose and many tiny spiders.
9. Where are the students who arrive in "December 29 Winter Ecology" from?
(a) The author's high school.
(b) All over the country.
(c) All over Maine.
(d) The author's university.
10. In "March 14 After the Storm," why does the author go into town again?
(a) To buy supplies.
(b) To talk to his friends.
(c) To have breakfast at the diner.
(d) To find dead cattle.
11. In "December 12 Rump Steak," the author discovers that the steak that he thought a friendly neighbor left him to enjoy through the winter was actually what?
(a) Meant for his birthday.
(b) Meant for his dogs.
(c) Meant for the coyotes.
(d) Spoiled meat meant for his ravens.
12. The author has become rather sick of celebrating __________________ in the traditional American way.
13. Whom does the author ask to go fishing with him in "May 4 Smelting"?
14. The author finds a female _______________ near his cabin and follows her on her search for food.
15. In one he sees a huge _____________ owl starting at him.
(c) Great horned.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author decides to make maple syrup with whom?
2. When the deer looks at him, what does the author do?
3. In "April 4 Returns," what does the author spend the night doing?
4. In the stump of an old __________ the author finds many wide, deep grub holes.
5. The author notes how perceptive the ravens are to _____________.
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)