|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author and his son watch a ______________ fly up into the sky and then circle back down to the ground.
(b) Canadian goose.
2. In the section "Moss Watch," the author describes the various types of ________________ he can see around his cabin.
(a) Spiders and flies.
(b) Flowers and plants.
(c) Mice and rats.
(d) Moss and lichen.
3. In "March 14 After the Storm," why does the author go into town again?
(a) To talk to his friends.
(b) To have breakfast at the diner.
(c) To find dead cattle.
(d) To buy supplies.
4. According to the farmer, how do most people use the dead calves?
(a) To feed cattle.
(b) To bait bears.
(c) To feed ravens.
(d) To bait coyotes.
5. In "Cows," why does the author go into town?
(a) To buy supplies.
(b) To have a meal at the diner.
(c) To meet with friends.
(d) To see his son.
6. In "Excursions," what creatures are endangered because of high quantities of mercury and PCB in the water?
(a) Sea gulls.
(b) Bald eagles.
(c) Blue herons.
7. Though the weather is still cold in "March 16," the author can see the tracks and furrows of many animals. What does he search for as the sun comes out?
(a) Raven's nests.
(b) Robin's nests.
(c) Bald eagle's nests.
(d) Kinglet's nests.
8. How does Stuart feel about his father?
(a) He is very embarrassed.
(b) He is very annoyed.
(c) He is very proud.
(d) He is very angry.
9. In "March 20-21 First Tappers," what does the author notice about the squirrels?
(a) They are very fat.
(b) They look confused.
(c) Strange behavior.
(d) They look ill.
10. Whom does the author ask to go fishing with him in "May 4 Smelting"?
11. In "January 31," the author must deal with extreme cold weather as well as the return of _______.
(a) The flies.
(b) The deer.
(c) The mice.
(d) The ravens.
12. In "April 28 Free Search," the author goes on a nature walk _______________.
(a) Looking for something in particular.
(b) Without looking where he was going.
(c) Without looking for anything in particular.
(d) Without paying attention to where he was.
13. For what sound does the author still listen intently?
(a) The robin.
(b) The sparrow.
(c) The raven.
(d) The kinglet.
14. The author visits his son's school in __________________.
(a) "December 8."
(b) "December 11."
(c) "December 9."
(d) "December 10."
15. In "April 4 Returns," what does the author spend the night doing?
(a) Boiling sap.
(d) Watching television.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "April 2 Dreams," the author remembers a couple of dreams from how long ago?
2. In one he sees a huge _____________ owl starting at him.
3. The author is intrigued that the grubs don't seem affected by __________.
4. Why might the squirrels be biting down into the bark?
5. What happens when the author comes down from the tree and onto the ground?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)