|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the author goes for a walk in his snowshoes, what does he observe?
(a) The tracks of bears.
(b) The tracks of ravens.
(c) The tracks of deer.
(d) The tracks of many different animals.
2. Does the dear show fear?
(a) Yes, but very little.
(b) Yes, a great deal.
(d) Yes, a little.
3. In the last section, "May 24 Graduation," the author makes the trip back to his university to see ________ graduate.
(a) His daughter.
(b) His son.
(c) His daughter and one of his doctoral students.
(d) His son and daughter.
4. While in town, for what does he find a lead?
(a) Food supplies.
(b) Some dead cattle.
5. How does Stuart feel about his father?
(a) He is very embarrassed.
(b) He is very proud.
(c) He is very angry.
(d) He is very annoyed.
6. The author describes the awakening life in what chapter?
(a) "April 2 Dreams."
(b) "April 3 Ice Fishing."
(c) "April 1."
(d) "March 31".
7. In another very detailed dream, he is looking for a place to rest but is suddenly swept away by ______________ elephants.
8. In the stump of an old __________ the author finds many wide, deep grub holes.
9. What does the author get from a farm for his ravens?
(b) A dead calf.
(c) Seeds and nuts.
(d) A dead deer.
10. In his _______________ orchard he notices that below the snow, the mice had been active at gnawing away on the bark of the trees.
11. In "Excursions," the author and one of his students pull up samples of insects from ________.
(a) The mud.
(b) Near a tree.
(c) Below the ice in the stream.
(d) An old bird's nest.
12. In "April 4 Returns," what does the author spend the night doing?
(a) Boiling sap.
(b) Watching television.
13. In "Cows," why does the author go into town?
(a) To have a meal at the diner.
(b) To buy supplies.
(c) To see his son.
(d) To meet with friends.
14. What surprises the author about the firefly larva which he finds on his way to the cabin?
(a) It is glowing just like the adult.
(b) It is the same size as the adult.
(c) It is nothing like the adult.
(d) It is identical to the adult.
15. The author visits his son's school in __________________.
(a) "December 8."
(b) "December 10."
(c) "December 11."
(d) "December 9."
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the author have an easy time seeing the tracks of various animals?
2. In "March 20-21 First Tappers," what does the author notice about the squirrels?
3. In "April 2 Dreams," the author remembers a couple of dreams from how long ago?
4. In "March 25 Birch Seeds," how many birch seeds are shed by the tree?
5. In "December 21," the author discovers that a local squirrel has stashed __________ all along the path.
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)