|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the way back to the car, what does the author find?
(a) Many mice.
(b) A deer and flies.
(c) A moose and many tiny spiders.
(d) Animal tracks.
2. The author notes the changing seasons and decides his favorite season is ____________.
(d) Always the current one.
3. What happens when the author comes down from the tree and onto the ground?
(a) The deer comes to him.
(b) The deer stays frozen.
(c) The deer walks away.
(d) The deer runs away.
4. On December 9, the author returns to his cabin in the woods just in time for what event?
(a) A full lunar eclipse.
(b) A solar eclipse.
(c) The winter solstice.
(d) A partial lunar eclipse.
5. In "Cows," why does the author go into town?
(a) To buy supplies.
(b) To meet with friends.
(c) To see his son.
(d) To have a meal at the diner.
6. In this section, whom does the farmer meet with at the cabin?
(a) A local farmer.
(b) His neighbor.
(c) The lumber company.
(d) The dairy farmer.
7. Though the weather is still cold in "March 16," the author can see the tracks and furrows of many animals. What does he search for as the sun comes out?
(a) Bald eagle's nests.
(b) Raven's nests.
(c) Robin's nests.
(d) Kinglet's nests.
8. What kind of fish does the author consider the perch to be?
(a) Rare fish.
(b) Trash fish.
(c) Expensive fish.
(d) Good fish.
9. After thinking about some bizarre encounters that he recently had with the logging company, what does the author decide?
(a) They must trust him.
(b) He wants to be an eco-terrorist.
(c) The logging company is dangerous.
(d) They must be watching him.
10. Why does the author make a trip in "December 4"?
(a) To visit friends.
(b) To buy more supplies.
(c) He is bored.
(d) To see his son, Stuart.
11. What does the author get from a farm for his ravens?
(b) A dead calf.
(c) A dead deer.
(d) Seeds and nuts.
12. At the end of the section, where is the author when he encounters a deer?
(a) Up in his tree.
(b) Going for a run.
(c) Hiking the trails.
(d) Sitting outside his cabin.
13. In his _______________ orchard he notices that below the snow, the mice had been active at gnawing away on the bark of the trees.
14. Why did the author have an easy time seeing the tracks of various animals?
(a) He had binoculars.
(b) He was laying on the ground.
(c) A thick blanket of snow had fallen the night before.
(d) The ground was very muddy.
15. Does the dear show fear?
(a) Yes, but very little.
(c) Yes, a little.
(d) Yes, a great deal.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, where do the most successful nest builders place their nests?
2. When the author goes for a walk in his snowshoes, what does he observe?
3. The author dissects the cocoon and discovers a great deal about _____________.
4. How does the author act with the townspeople?
5. In "December 4," the author decides to make the trip ________.
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)