|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author do before cooking and eating the fish that he and his neighbor catch?
(a) He sketches them.
(b) He studies them.
(c) He tests them for disease.
(d) He dissects them.
2. For how many days does the intensive class which the author teaches every winter at his cabin last?
3. What does the author see the squirrels licking?
(a) Some select maple trees.
(b) All the maple trees.
(c) The snow.
(d) Their fur.
4. In "March 20-21 First Tappers," what does the author notice about the squirrels?
(a) They look confused.
(b) Strange behavior.
(c) They look ill.
(d) They are very fat.
5. In "April 28 Free Search," the author goes on a nature walk _______________.
(a) Without looking for anything in particular.
(b) Without paying attention to where he was.
(c) Without looking where he was going.
(d) Looking for something in particular.
6. The author cooks mice for the students. How do they feel about eating mouse?
(a) They are disgusted by it.
(b) They enjoy it.
(c) They are annoyed by it.
(d) They are made ill by it.
7. The author finds a female _______________ near his cabin and follows her on her search for food.
8. In "March 25 Birch Seeds," how many birch seeds are shed by the tree?
9. In "April 8," what does the author check out on a dairy farm?
(a) The farm's machinery.
(b) A cow.
(c) The dairy products made there.
(d) A raven's nest.
10. Why did the author have an easy time seeing the tracks of various animals?
(a) The ground was very muddy.
(b) He had binoculars.
(c) A thick blanket of snow had fallen the night before.
(d) He was laying on the ground.
11. What kind of fish does the author consider the perch to be?
(a) Rare fish.
(b) Expensive fish.
(c) Trash fish.
(d) Good fish.
12. The farmer also sells some_________ here and there to make money.
13. In "April 4 Returns," what does the author spend the night doing?
(b) Boiling sap.
(d) Watching television.
14. On the way back to the car, what does the author find?
(a) A moose and many tiny spiders.
(b) Many mice.
(c) Animal tracks.
(d) A deer and flies.
15. Why does the author make a trip in "December 4"?
(a) To see his son, Stuart.
(b) He is bored.
(c) To buy more supplies.
(d) To visit friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises the author about the firefly larva which he finds on his way to the cabin?
2. In the section "Moss Watch," the author describes the various types of ________________ he can see around his cabin.
3. In "March 14 After the Storm," why does the author go into town again?
4. In the last section, "May 24 Graduation," the author makes the trip back to his university to see ________ graduate.
5. What does the author begin in "March 23"?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)