|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises the author about the firefly larva which he finds on his way to the cabin?
(a) It is the same size as the adult.
(b) It is nothing like the adult.
(c) It is glowing just like the adult.
(d) It is identical to the adult.
2. In one he sees a huge _____________ owl starting at him.
(c) Great horned.
3. Whom does the author ask to go fishing with him in "May 4 Smelting"?
4. In the section "Moss Watch," the author describes the various types of ________________ he can see around his cabin.
(a) Mice and rats.
(b) Spiders and flies.
(c) Moss and lichen.
(d) Flowers and plants.
5. When the author and his friend get to the stream, can any fish be found?
(a) Yes, many.
(b) Yes, but not at first.
(c) Yes, a few.
6. In "March 14 Storm" what is the author beginning to feel?
(d) Cabin fever.
7. While in town, for what does he find a lead?
(c) Food supplies.
(d) Some dead cattle.
8. The farmer also sells some_________ here and there to make money.
9. The author cooks mice for the students. How do they feel about eating mouse?
(a) They are annoyed by it.
(b) They are disgusted by it.
(c) They enjoy it.
(d) They are made ill by it.
10. On the way back to the car, what does the author find?
(a) Many mice.
(b) A deer and flies.
(c) Animal tracks.
(d) A moose and many tiny spiders.
11. At the end of the section, where is the author when he encounters a deer?
(a) Sitting outside his cabin.
(b) Going for a run.
(c) Hiking the trails.
(d) Up in his tree.
12. What kind of fish does the author consider the perch to be?
(a) Trash fish.
(b) Expensive fish.
(c) Good fish.
(d) Rare fish.
13. In "March 30 Cocoons," the author finds an old cocoon from _________.
(a) A butterfly.
(b) A beetle.
(c) A moth.
(d) A fly.
14. When the elephants disappear, the author notices that the ground is covered with _______.
15. In the stump of an old __________ the author finds many wide, deep grub holes.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author describes the awakening life in what chapter?
2. The author and his son watch a ______________ fly up into the sky and then circle back down to the ground.
3. Which bog is the author's favorite?
4. The author and his neighbor _________ go ice fishing in "April 3 Ice Fishing."
5. How does the sample surprise the author?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)