|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises the author about the firefly larva which he finds on his way to the cabin?
(a) It is identical to the adult.
(b) It is glowing just like the adult.
(c) It is the same size as the adult.
(d) It is nothing like the adult.
2. In "November 28 More Flies," how does the the author attempt to rid his cabin of flies?
(a) He sucks them up in the dustbuster.
(b) He steps on them.
(c) He sprays them with poison.
(d) He hits them with a fly swatter.
3. Why does the author make a trip in "December 4"?
(a) To buy more supplies.
(b) To see his son, Stuart.
(c) He is bored.
(d) To visit friends.
4. The author has become rather sick of celebrating __________________ in the traditional American way.
5. The author and his neighbor _________ go ice fishing in "April 3 Ice Fishing."
6. How does the sample surprise the author?
(a) How much pollution accompanied those organisms.
(b) How dirty the water was.
(c) How much life is down there.
(d) How many dangerous organisms live there.
7. In "December 21," the author discovers that a local squirrel has stashed __________ all along the path.
8. In "January 20 Coyotes," what is the man, which the author just happens upon, doing?
(a) Chasing and killing coyotes with his dogs.
(b) Trying to find his way home.
(d) Hunting deer.
9. In what chapter does the author note how many activities and responsibilities he has taken on?
(a) "April 1."
(b) "April 2."
(c) "April 20."
(d) "April 11."
10. In "March 20-21 First Tappers," what does the author notice about the squirrels?
(a) Strange behavior.
(b) They are very fat.
(c) They look ill.
(d) They look confused.
11. What is the mood of the people as they stock up for a big storm in "March 13 Storm Warnings"?
12. What does the author get from a farm for his ravens?
(a) Seeds and nuts.
(b) A dead deer.
(c) A dead calf.
13. At the end of the section, where is the author when he encounters a deer?
(a) Up in his tree.
(b) Sitting outside his cabin.
(c) Going for a run.
(d) Hiking the trails.
14. In "January 6 A Discussion," what does the author notice that he might be a little odd for doing?
(a) Living in the woods alone.
(b) Hunting for his food.
(c) Hauling around road kill in the back of his pick up truck.
(d) Teaching in his cabin.
15. The author describes the awakening life in what chapter?
(a) "March 31".
(b) "April 3 Ice Fishing."
(c) "April 1."
(d) "April 2 Dreams."
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the author have an easy time seeing the tracks of various animals?
2. In the stump of an old __________ the author finds many wide, deep grub holes.
3. The author is quite proud about __________.
4. The author finds a female _______________ near his cabin and follows her on her search for food.
5. While driving along the way to take his son back, what does the author see?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)