|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the section "September 23-26 The Garden," the author observes what about the green beans and squash he planted?
(a) They died.
(b) They grew fruit.
(c) They failed to fruit.
(d) They are very large and colorful.
2. In "Late Summer Ramblings," the author writes about the changing of the seasons and the life cycle of ________.
(a) The deer.
(b) The raven.
(c) The moth.
3. The author writes about the delicate relationship between _________.
(a) The Earth and the rest of the solar system.
(b) The Earth and the stars.
(c) The Earth and the moon.
(d) The Earth and the sun.
4. In "November 8-9 Jack?" the author observes a group of ravens that he has done what for?
(a) Built a nest.
(b) Talked to.
(c) Set out food.
5. A great glacier expands and retracts across North America for the last few _____________ years.
6. What does Stuart win?
(a) A painting.
(b) A horse.
(c) A pumpkin.
(d) A pig.
7. The author observes a pair of swallows in a nest by his cabin and how quickly they move on with their lives when ____________.
(a) They are injured while protecting their nest.
(b) Their baby birds are killed.
(c) Their nest is destroyed.
(d) Their eggs hatch.
8. What does the author reflect on as he gathers bunches of berries?
(a) His marriage.
(b) Earlier months of his stay in the cabin.
(c) His son.
(d) Earlier times in his childhood.
9. In "August 9-13 Some Berries," the author is in search of some _____________.
10. Why do the squirrels, in particular, fascinate the author?
(a) They are very mean.
(b) They are very loud.
(c) They are very curious.
(d) They try so hard to stay hidden.
11. In "Beginnings," the author tells us that he has what kind of contact with the outside world?
(a) A cell phone.
(b) A telephone in the neighbor's outhouse.
(c) A telephone in his bedroom.
(d) A walkie-talkie.
12. Why does the author roll rocks under the foundation of his cabin?
(a) To keep the animals out.
(b) To help keep it dry.
(c) To make it more attractive.
(d) To winterize it.
13. What caused the animals in the region to change?
(a) The coming of man.
(b) The change in the landscape.
(c) The changing climate.
(d) The change in the food supply.
14. The author and a friend who comes to visit one evening make a ___________ cobbler and dance in the moonlight.
15. As the author is running through the forest, he comes to a clearing that has been logged a few years earlier. What does he see there?
(a) A bear.
(b) A moose.
(c) A deer.
(d) A cougar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comes out in the early evening, closely followed by several types of songbirds?
2. What have many forest creatures invaded in "October 7 Housemates"?
3. Eventually, what does Jack do?
4. The author watches in fascination as _______________.
5. "October 3 The Annual Rendezvous" is about __________________.
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)