|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Giant piles of gravel, steep ridges, and ponds are all evidence of ___________.
(a) The last earthquake.
(b) The last meteor shower.
(c) The last glacier.
(d) The last tornado.
2. After the author runs, how does he feel?
(a) Tired and sore.
(b) Relaxed and content.
3. The author smells a scent that triggers a memory of a childhood evening with whom?
(a) His aunt.
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
(d) His brother.
4. In the section "Time," the author realizes that he has spent over _________ months in the cabin.
5. In the section "Scents and Sounds," to what does the author listen?
(a) The sounds of the night.
(b) The sounds of the afternoon.
(c) The sounds of the evening.
(d) The sounds of the morning.
6. The trees that now populate the region are the trees of __________.
(a) A cooler climate.
(b) A more populated region.
(c) Those planted by man.
(d) A warmer, temperate climate.
7. What is "October 10 Home Chores" about?
(a) The author's chores.
(b) The author's records of his experiences.
(c) The author's peculiar style of living in the cabin.
(d) The author's family.
8. The birds start when it is still dark and the singing picks up with the increasing __________.
9. The author watches in fascination as _______________.
(a) The horses compete in dressage.
(b) Chefs make several types of pies for the visitors to try.
(c) Teams of horses and oxen pull heavy loads for a large crowd of spectators.
(d) An artist paints his portrait.
10. In "Habits and Hunts," what has the author given up?
(b) Brushing his teeth.
(c) Combing his hair.
11. In the section "Election Time," the author's ______________ is visiting for a deer hunt.
12. What does the section "August 4 Wanderers" describe?
(a) A heavy rain and the animals who depend on that moisture.
(b) The animals that wander the forest.
(c) The author wandering in the woods.
(d) A powerful storm.
13. Why does the author roll rocks under the foundation of his cabin?
(a) To help keep it dry.
(b) To make it more attractive.
(c) To winterize it.
(d) To keep the animals out.
14. While the author is working on building the new outhouse, what must he make a trip into town to get?
(a) A hammer.
(b) Some scrap lumber.
(c) Some nails.
(d) Some wood glue.
15. Why do the squirrels, in particular, fascinate the author?
(a) They are very curious.
(b) They try so hard to stay hidden.
(c) They are very loud.
(d) They are very mean.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the section "September 23-26 The Garden," the author observes what about the green beans and squash he planted?
2. During his daily_______, the author sees a web of many tiny caterpillars all flashing together in unison from side to side.
3. What comes out in the early evening, closely followed by several types of songbirds?
4. When farming begins to spread farther west, the land reverts from farmland to ________.
5. Do they spot deer?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)