|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Trees," the author writes about using trees as _______.
(b) A source of paper.
(c) A means of blocking the sun.
2. The author smells a scent that triggers a memory of a childhood evening with whom?
(a) His father.
(b) His mother.
(c) His brother.
(d) His aunt.
3. The author notices the trees and flowers blooming and climbs up into _______________ where he has built a lookout to observe the natural world.
(a) A hot air balloon.
(b) The loft of the barn.
(c) A red spruce tree.
(d) A poplar tree.
4. "The Traveling Companion" begins with the author's description of his journey to ___________.
(a) His son's home in Vermont.
(b) The bog.
(c) His cabin deep in the woods of Maine.
(d) His son's school.
5. What does the author notice about the plants in the shade?
(a) They are larger than those in sunlight.
(b) They are lighter in color than those in sunlight.
(c) They grow slower and sometimes never flower.
(d) They grow faster and always flower.
6. "October 3 The Annual Rendezvous" is about __________________.
(a) A party the author attends every year.
(b) A dinner meeting the author holds every year for his colleagues.
(c) A party that the author hosts up on the mountain every year.
(d) A faculty meeting held for all college professors.
7. In the section "June 12 Early Harvests," the author continues felling trees and splitting wood for __________.
(a) His winter fires.
(b) Building a barn.
(c) Adding onto his cabin.
(d) Building an outhouse.
8. The two men catch up on what has been going on in the area, including _____________ protest of a logging operation.
(a) An Audubon Society.
(b) A Green.
(c) An Earth First.
(d) A Sierra Club.
9. What comes out in the early evening, closely followed by several types of songbirds?
(a) Swarms of mosquitoes.
(b) Swarms of flies.
10. In the section "Scents and Sounds," to what does the author listen?
(a) The sounds of the morning.
(b) The sounds of the evening.
(c) The sounds of the afternoon.
(d) The sounds of the night.
11. On what does the author base his conclusions?
(a) On his assumptions.
(b) On his observations.
(c) On his experiments.
(d) On previously discovered scientific evidence.
12. In "Habits and Hunts," what has the author given up?
(c) Combing his hair.
(d) Brushing his teeth.
13. What does the author awaken to on his first morning?
(a) The sound of cars.
(b) The many different birdcalls.
(c) Frogs croaking.
14. The author observes what in the section "The Moon"?
(a) The night sky.
(b) The moon.
(c) The sun.
(d) The stars.
15. The author tries to draw conclusions about _____________.
(a) The way the stars were created.
(b) The moon's orbit, rise, and set.
(c) The sun's power.
(d) The size of the sun versus other stars.
Short Answer Questions
1. Do they spot deer?
2. In the section "September 23-26 The Garden," the author observes what about the green beans and squash he planted?
3. The author watches in fascination as _______________.
4. What caused the animals in the region to change?
5. As he climbs closer to a bog, he notices not just berries, but also the many _______________ that will later come into season.
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)