|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the section "Time," the author realizes that he has spent over _________ months in the cabin.
2. A great glacier expands and retracts across North America for the last few _____________ years.
3. The author notices the trees and flowers blooming and climbs up into _______________ where he has built a lookout to observe the natural world.
(a) A hot air balloon.
(b) A red spruce tree.
(c) The loft of the barn.
(d) A poplar tree.
4. As the author is running through the forest, he comes to a clearing that has been logged a few years earlier. What does he see there?
(a) A deer.
(b) A moose.
(c) A bear.
(d) A cougar.
5. The author tries to draw conclusions about _____________.
(a) The sun's power.
(b) The size of the sun versus other stars.
(c) The way the stars were created.
(d) The moon's orbit, rise, and set.
6. The families have lived in the area since _________, and the author is a friend of the descendants of those first settlers.
7. In "September 23-26 The Garden," what does the author find after waking up one morning?
(a) His vegetables have all flowered.
(b) The animals have eaten his remaining vegetables.
(c) The first frost has hit, killing all his remaining vegetables.
(d) A black bear is outside the cabin.
8. His traveling companion is a ____________ that he took out of the nest when it was still a baby.
9. In "October 1 The Foliage," what happens for the first time?
(a) The snow falls.
(b) The author becomes bored.
(c) The forest is quiet.
(d) It rains.
10. After the evening chorus dies off, what does the author do?
(a) He grows tired of the birds.
(b) He records the songs of the birds.
(c) He sleeps in late.
(d) He wakes very early for the dawn chorus.
11. What does the author notice about the plants in the shade?
(a) They are lighter in color than those in sunlight.
(b) They grow faster and always flower.
(c) They are larger than those in sunlight.
(d) They grow slower and sometimes never flower.
12. In "Habits and Hunts," what has the author given up?
(a) Combing his hair.
(d) Brushing his teeth.
13. Where do the author and his son go In "Early September"?
(a) The farmer's market.
(b) The state fair.
(c) The county fair.
(d) The art fair.
14. Do they spot deer?
(a) Yes, many.
(b) Yes, but only a few.
(c) Yes, but only one.
15. "Scrap Lumber" describes the author's daily routine of ___________.
(a) Cutting wood and avoiding the biting flies and mosquitoes.
(b) Swimming in the pond and sun bathing.
(c) Sleeping late and watching the birds.
(d) Writing poetry.
Short Answer Questions
1. When they first arrive at the cabin, who depends on the author for his food and his companionship?
2. In town the author meets _________________, who gives him some wood and fixes his chainsaw.
3. What does Stuart win?
4. After running in "September 27 Starting a Sugar Shack," how does the author feel?
5. Why do the squirrels, in particular, fascinate the author?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)