|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What caused the animals in the region to change?
(a) The coming of man.
(b) The change in the food supply.
(c) The changing climate.
(d) The change in the landscape.
2. What does Stuart win?
(a) A pig.
(b) A horse.
(c) A painting.
(d) A pumpkin.
3. What does "Adams Hill" describe?
(a) The land around the cabin and the family who first settled in the area.
(b) A favorite sledding hill.
(c) A local cemetery.
(d) The author's family.
4. In "October 1 The Foliage," what happens for the first time?
(a) The snow falls.
(b) The forest is quiet.
(c) It rains.
(d) The author becomes bored.
5. "The Time of Birdsong" describes the author's all-day observations of __________.
(a) The birds he has captured in a cage.
(b) The song and calls of the larks by his window.
(c) The ravens.
(d) The different calls and songs of the birds in the area.
6. When Europeans arrive, why do they clear the land?
(a) To make it suitable for agriculture.
(b) To make is suitable for living.
(c) To be able to watch the sun rise and set.
(d) To make room for more people to come.
7. In "Trees," the author writes about using trees as _______.
(a) A source of paper.
(d) A means of blocking the sun.
8. After the author runs, how does he feel?
(c) Tired and sore.
(d) Relaxed and content.
9. What comes out in the early evening, closely followed by several types of songbirds?
(a) Swarms of flies.
(c) Swarms of mosquitoes.
10. The author notices the trees and flowers blooming and climbs up into _______________ where he has built a lookout to observe the natural world.
(a) The loft of the barn.
(b) A red spruce tree.
(c) A poplar tree.
(d) A hot air balloon.
11. The birds start when it is still dark and the singing picks up with the increasing __________.
12. When farming begins to spread farther west, the land reverts from farmland to ________.
13. In the section "September 20 Clearcuts," the author observes some wasps. This makes him think back to _____________.
(a) His own collection of wasps.
(b) His own father's collection of wasps.
(c) The wasps by his cabin.
(d) His son's collection of wasps.
14. The trees that now populate the region are the trees of __________.
(a) A more populated region.
(b) A cooler climate.
(c) A warmer, temperate climate.
(d) Those planted by man.
15. In the section "Time," the author realizes that he has spent over _________ months in the cabin.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the section "Election Time," the author's ______________ is visiting for a deer hunt.
2. After running in "September 27 Starting a Sugar Shack," how does the author feel?
3. What does the author awaken to on his first morning?
4. In the section "Scents and Sounds," to what does the author listen?
5. The author notes more evidence of the seasons changing in "August 14 Whispers of Fall." Who comes for a visit?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)