|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Late Summer Ramblings," the author writes about the changing of the seasons and the life cycle of ________.
(a) The deer.
(b) The moth.
(d) The raven.
2. Why does the author roll rocks under the foundation of his cabin?
(a) To help keep it dry.
(b) To winterize it.
(c) To make it more attractive.
(d) To keep the animals out.
3. The author has observed that the small cemeteries are full of the families who first came to the area and that the majority of gravestones belong to whom?
4. Now that the leaves have fallen, what can the author do?
(a) Take a break from watching nature.
(b) See for long distances and observe more of the natural world.
(c) Go deer hunting.
(d) Go skiing.
5. Giant piles of gravel, steep ridges, and ponds are all evidence of ___________.
(a) The last glacier.
(b) The last earthquake.
(c) The last meteor shower.
(d) The last tornado.
6. A great glacier expands and retracts across North America for the last few _____________ years.
7. The trees that now populate the region are the trees of __________.
(a) Those planted by man.
(b) A warmer, temperate climate.
(c) A cooler climate.
(d) A more populated region.
8. In the section "Election Time," the author's ______________ is visiting for a deer hunt.
9. The author observes a pair of swallows in a nest by his cabin and how quickly they move on with their lives when ____________.
(a) They are injured while protecting their nest.
(b) Their nest is destroyed.
(c) Their baby birds are killed.
(d) Their eggs hatch.
10. What does "Adams Hill" describe?
(a) A local cemetery.
(b) The land around the cabin and the family who first settled in the area.
(c) A favorite sledding hill.
(d) The author's family.
11. The author notes more evidence of the seasons changing in "August 14 Whispers of Fall." Who comes for a visit?
(a) The author's wife.
(b) The author's son Stuart, his daughter Erica, and two friends.
(c) The author's daughter Erica.
(d) The author's son Stuart and his daughter Erica.
12. The two men catch up on what has been going on in the area, including _____________ protest of a logging operation.
(a) An Audubon Society.
(b) A Green.
(c) An Earth First.
(d) A Sierra Club.
13. In "Bedrock," the author gives a ___________ history of the region.
14. When they first arrive at the cabin, who depends on the author for his food and his companionship?
(a) The son.
(b) The raven.
(c) The neighbor.
(d) The deer.
15. The author tries to draw conclusions about _____________.
(a) The size of the sun versus other stars.
(b) The moon's orbit, rise, and set.
(c) The way the stars were created.
(d) The sun's power.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the thing that surprises the author the most?
2. What does the author notice about the plants in the shade?
3. In the section "October 6 Cherry Hill Drive", the author drives to a clearing that has been logged ______________ before.
4. In "November 8-9 Jack?" the author observes a group of ravens that he has done what for?
5. The author and his son plant a ______ oak near the cabin.
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)