|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "November 8-9 Jack?" the author observes a group of ravens that he has done what for?
(b) Built a nest.
(c) Set out food.
(d) Talked to.
2. What does the author reflect on as he gathers bunches of berries?
(a) Earlier months of his stay in the cabin.
(b) His marriage.
(c) His son.
(d) Earlier times in his childhood.
3. One raven flies close to the author, circles away, and then comes back. At this point, what is the author wondering about?
(a) If it is curious about him.
(b) If the raven is scared of him.
(c) If the raven does not like him.
(d) If it is his friend Jack.
4. In the section "June 12 Early Harvests," the author continues felling trees and splitting wood for __________.
(a) Adding onto his cabin.
(b) Building a barn.
(c) Building an outhouse.
(d) His winter fires.
5. What does the author believe is responsible for our changing seasons today?
(a) The coalescing of gas and dust in the creation of the moon.
(b) The moon being an asteroid.
(c) A collision long ago.
(d) The fission theory.
6. What does Stuart win?
(a) A pig.
(b) A pumpkin.
(c) A horse.
(d) A painting.
7. In "Beginnings," the author tells us that he has what kind of contact with the outside world?
(a) A cell phone.
(b) A telephone in his bedroom.
(c) A telephone in the neighbor's outhouse.
(d) A walkie-talkie.
8. The families have lived in the area since _________, and the author is a friend of the descendants of those first settlers.
9. Now that the leaves have fallen, what can the author do?
(a) Take a break from watching nature.
(b) Go deer hunting.
(c) Go skiing.
(d) See for long distances and observe more of the natural world.
10. When they first arrive at the cabin, who depends on the author for his food and his companionship?
(a) The raven.
(b) The neighbor.
(c) The deer.
(d) The son.
11. The author notices the trees and flowers blooming and climbs up into _______________ where he has built a lookout to observe the natural world.
(a) A poplar tree.
(b) A hot air balloon.
(c) A red spruce tree.
(d) The loft of the barn.
12. In the section "Election Time," the author's ______________ is visiting for a deer hunt.
13. What does the author awaken to on his first morning?
(a) The many different birdcalls.
(b) The sound of cars.
(d) Frogs croaking.
14. The author and his son plant a ______ oak near the cabin.
15. In "Habits and Hunts," what has the author given up?
(c) Combing his hair.
(d) Brushing his teeth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author do to the mice?
2. What is "October 10 Home Chores" about?
3. The author has observed that the small cemeteries are full of the families who first came to the area and that the majority of gravestones belong to whom?
4. While the author is working on building the new outhouse, what must he make a trip into town to get?
5. After the author runs, how does he feel?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)