|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "September 23-26 The Garden," what does the author find after waking up one morning?
(a) His vegetables have all flowered.
(b) The animals have eaten his remaining vegetables.
(c) A black bear is outside the cabin.
(d) The first frost has hit, killing all his remaining vegetables.
2. In "Habits and Hunts," what has the author given up?
(c) Combing his hair.
(d) Brushing his teeth.
3. What does the author notice about the plants in the shade?
(a) They are larger than those in sunlight.
(b) They grow slower and sometimes never flower.
(c) They are lighter in color than those in sunlight.
(d) They grow faster and always flower.
4. The author observes a pair of swallows in a nest by his cabin and how quickly they move on with their lives when ____________.
(a) Their baby birds are killed.
(b) They are injured while protecting their nest.
(c) Their nest is destroyed.
(d) Their eggs hatch.
5. In the section "Scents and Sounds," to what does the author listen?
(a) The sounds of the evening.
(b) The sounds of the night.
(c) The sounds of the morning.
(d) The sounds of the afternoon.
6. In the section "Election Time," the author's ______________ is visiting for a deer hunt.
7. What does the author do to the mice?
(a) He names them.
(b) He exterminates them.
(c) He feeds them.
(d) He lures them outside.
8. The author observes what in the section "The Moon"?
(a) The sun.
(b) The moon.
(c) The stars.
(d) The night sky.
9. One raven flies close to the author, circles away, and then comes back. At this point, what is the author wondering about?
(a) If the raven is scared of him.
(b) If it is his friend Jack.
(c) If the raven does not like him.
(d) If it is curious about him.
10. In "Bedrock," the author gives a ___________ history of the region.
11. In "Late Summer Ramblings," the author writes about the changing of the seasons and the life cycle of ________.
(a) The moth.
(b) The raven.
(d) The deer.
12. What is "October 10 Home Chores" about?
(a) The author's records of his experiences.
(b) The author's peculiar style of living in the cabin.
(c) The author's family.
(d) The author's chores.
13. The author smells a scent that triggers a memory of a childhood evening with whom?
(a) His father.
(b) His aunt.
(c) His brother.
(d) His mother.
14. In "Beginnings," the author tells us that he has what kind of contact with the outside world?
(a) A cell phone.
(b) A telephone in the neighbor's outhouse.
(c) A walkie-talkie.
(d) A telephone in his bedroom.
15. During his daily_______, the author sees a web of many tiny caterpillars all flashing together in unison from side to side.
(b) Bike ride.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "Adams Hill" describe?
2. The logging company uses dangerous ________________ to get rid of the trees.
3. In "November 8-9 Jack?" the author observes a group of ravens that he has done what for?
4. In the section "Time," the author realizes that he has spent over _________ months in the cabin.
5. In town the author meets _________________, who gives him some wood and fixes his chainsaw.
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)