|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Eventually, what does Jack do?
(a) He attacks the author.
(b) He returns to school.
(c) He moves back home.
(d) He flies away from the author and the cabin and does not return.
2. The author notes more evidence of the seasons changing in "August 14 Whispers of Fall." Who comes for a visit?
(a) The author's wife.
(b) The author's son Stuart and his daughter Erica.
(c) The author's daughter Erica.
(d) The author's son Stuart, his daughter Erica, and two friends.
3. In the section "September 20 Clearcuts," the author observes some wasps. This makes him think back to _____________.
(a) His own father's collection of wasps.
(b) The wasps by his cabin.
(c) His son's collection of wasps.
(d) His own collection of wasps.
4. As he climbs closer to a bog, he notices not just berries, but also the many _______________ that will later come into season.
(a) Huckleberries and holly.
(b) Cranberries and holly.
(c) Cranberries and figs.
(d) Huckleberries and figs.
5. The birds start when it is still dark and the singing picks up with the increasing __________.
6. What does the section "August 4 Wanderers" describe?
(a) A heavy rain and the animals who depend on that moisture.
(b) The animals that wander the forest.
(c) The author wandering in the woods.
(d) A powerful storm.
7. What does the author do to the mice?
(a) He exterminates them.
(b) He feeds them.
(c) He lures them outside.
(d) He names them.
8. In the section "Scents and Sounds," to what does the author listen?
(a) The sounds of the evening.
(b) The sounds of the afternoon.
(c) The sounds of the night.
(d) The sounds of the morning.
9. As the author is running through the forest, he comes to a clearing that has been logged a few years earlier. What does he see there?
(a) A cougar.
(b) A moose.
(c) A deer.
(d) A bear.
10. The author and his son plant a ______ oak near the cabin.
11. As the author cuts wood for the winter, he notices areas he cleared only a few years before are covered with __________.
12. Why do the squirrels, in particular, fascinate the author?
(a) They try so hard to stay hidden.
(b) They are very curious.
(c) They are very mean.
(d) They are very loud.
13. When farming begins to spread farther west, the land reverts from farmland to ________.
14. While the author is working on building the new outhouse, what must he make a trip into town to get?
(a) A hammer.
(b) Some wood glue.
(c) Some nails.
(d) Some scrap lumber.
15. "Scrap Lumber" describes the author's daily routine of ___________.
(a) Sleeping late and watching the birds.
(b) Writing poetry.
(c) Swimming in the pond and sun bathing.
(d) Cutting wood and avoiding the biting flies and mosquitoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author observes what in the section "The Moon"?
2. What does Stuart win?
3. After a few weeks, what does Jack learn to do on his own?
4. In "October 1 The Foliage," what happens for the first time?
5. What comes out in the early evening, closely followed by several types of songbirds?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)