|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When they first arrive at the cabin, who depends on the author for his food and his companionship?
(a) The raven.
(b) The neighbor.
(c) The son.
(d) The deer.
2. The author reflects in "October 14 To Find Small Caterpillars" that he is much like whom?
(b) His son.
(c) HIs father.
(d) His wife.
3. Giant piles of gravel, steep ridges, and ponds are all evidence of ___________.
(a) The last earthquake.
(b) The last tornado.
(c) The last meteor shower.
(d) The last glacier.
4. What does the author do to the mice?
(a) He lures them outside.
(b) He feeds them.
(c) He exterminates them.
(d) He names them.
5. "Scrap Lumber" describes the author's daily routine of ___________.
(a) Writing poetry.
(b) Swimming in the pond and sun bathing.
(c) Cutting wood and avoiding the biting flies and mosquitoes.
(d) Sleeping late and watching the birds.
6. The author notes more evidence of the seasons changing in "August 14 Whispers of Fall." Who comes for a visit?
(a) The author's son Stuart, his daughter Erica, and two friends.
(b) The author's son Stuart and his daughter Erica.
(c) The author's wife.
(d) The author's daughter Erica.
7. While the author is working on building the new outhouse, what must he make a trip into town to get?
(a) A hammer.
(b) Some scrap lumber.
(c) Some wood glue.
(d) Some nails.
8. The author notices the trees and flowers blooming and climbs up into _______________ where he has built a lookout to observe the natural world.
(a) A poplar tree.
(b) The loft of the barn.
(c) A hot air balloon.
(d) A red spruce tree.
9. One raven flies close to the author, circles away, and then comes back. At this point, what is the author wondering about?
(a) If it is his friend Jack.
(b) If the raven does not like him.
(c) If it is curious about him.
(d) If the raven is scared of him.
10. In "October 1 The Foliage," what happens for the first time?
(a) The forest is quiet.
(b) The author becomes bored.
(c) It rains.
(d) The snow falls.
11. In the section "September 23-26 The Garden," the author observes what about the green beans and squash he planted?
(a) They are very large and colorful.
(b) They died.
(c) They grew fruit.
(d) They failed to fruit.
12. As he climbs closer to a bog, he notices not just berries, but also the many _______________ that will later come into season.
(a) Cranberries and figs.
(b) Cranberries and holly.
(c) Huckleberries and figs.
(d) Huckleberries and holly.
13. In "August 9-13 Some Berries," the author is in search of some _____________.
14. Where do the author and his son go In "Early September"?
(a) The county fair.
(b) The farmer's market.
(c) The art fair.
(d) The state fair.
15. As the author is running through the forest, he comes to a clearing that has been logged a few years earlier. What does he see there?
(a) A bear.
(b) A cougar.
(c) A moose.
(d) A deer.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the section "June 12 Early Harvests," the author continues felling trees and splitting wood for __________.
2. When Europeans arrive, why do they clear the land?
3. In "Bedrock," the author gives a ___________ history of the region.
4. What does the section "August 4 Wanderers" describe?
5. The author writes about the delicate relationship between _________.
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)