|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Beginnings," the author tells us that he has what kind of contact with the outside world?
(a) A walkie-talkie.
(b) A telephone in his bedroom.
(c) A cell phone.
(d) A telephone in the neighbor's outhouse.
2. What does the author awaken to on his first morning?
(a) The sound of cars.
(c) The many different birdcalls.
(d) Frogs croaking.
3. In "Late Summer Ramblings," the author writes about the changing of the seasons and the life cycle of ________.
(a) The raven.
(c) The moth.
(d) The deer.
4. After the author runs, how does he feel?
(a) Relaxed and content.
(c) Tired and sore.
5. In the section "Election Time," the author's ______________ is visiting for a deer hunt.
6. The author observes that single leaves __________ turn different colors.
(a) Do not.
7. Do they spot deer?
(b) Yes, many.
(c) Yes, but only one.
(d) Yes, but only a few.
8. In "September 23-26 The Garden," what does the author find after waking up one morning?
(a) A black bear is outside the cabin.
(b) The first frost has hit, killing all his remaining vegetables.
(c) The animals have eaten his remaining vegetables.
(d) His vegetables have all flowered.
9. Why does the author roll rocks under the foundation of his cabin?
(a) To make it more attractive.
(b) To winterize it.
(c) To keep the animals out.
(d) To help keep it dry.
10. In the section "Time," the author realizes that he has spent over _________ months in the cabin.
11. In "Trees," the author writes about using trees as _______.
(b) A means of blocking the sun.
(d) A source of paper.
12. In the section "September 20 Clearcuts," the author observes some wasps. This makes him think back to _____________.
(a) The wasps by his cabin.
(b) His son's collection of wasps.
(c) His own collection of wasps.
(d) His own father's collection of wasps.
13. In the section "Scents and Sounds," to what does the author listen?
(a) The sounds of the night.
(b) The sounds of the evening.
(c) The sounds of the afternoon.
(d) The sounds of the morning.
14. In "August 9-13 Some Berries," the author is in search of some _____________.
15. "The Traveling Companion" begins with the author's description of his journey to ___________.
(a) The bog.
(b) His son's home in Vermont.
(c) His son's school.
(d) His cabin deep in the woods of Maine.
Short Answer Questions
1. His traveling companion is a ____________ that he took out of the nest when it was still a baby.
2. The logging company uses dangerous ________________ to get rid of the trees.
3. In the section "October 6 Cherry Hill Drive", the author drives to a clearing that has been logged ______________ before.
4. The author notes more evidence of the seasons changing in "August 14 Whispers of Fall." Who comes for a visit?
5. In the section "September 23-26 The Garden," the author observes what about the green beans and squash he planted?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)