|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the author cuts wood for the winter, he notices areas he cleared only a few years before are covered with __________.
2. The author smells a scent that triggers a memory of a childhood evening with whom?
(a) His brother.
(b) His mother.
(c) His aunt.
(d) His father.
3. What does the author awaken to on his first morning?
(a) The sound of cars.
(b) The many different birdcalls.
(c) Frogs croaking.
4. What does the author reflect on as he gathers bunches of berries?
(a) Earlier months of his stay in the cabin.
(b) His son.
(c) His marriage.
(d) Earlier times in his childhood.
5. The birds start when it is still dark and the singing picks up with the increasing __________.
6. One raven flies close to the author, circles away, and then comes back. At this point, what is the author wondering about?
(a) If it is his friend Jack.
(b) If it is curious about him.
(c) If the raven is scared of him.
(d) If the raven does not like him.
7. In "Beginnings," the author tells us that he has what kind of contact with the outside world?
(a) A telephone in his bedroom.
(b) A walkie-talkie.
(c) A cell phone.
(d) A telephone in the neighbor's outhouse.
8. "The Time of Birdsong" describes the author's all-day observations of __________.
(a) The ravens.
(b) The birds he has captured in a cage.
(c) The song and calls of the larks by his window.
(d) The different calls and songs of the birds in the area.
9. The author observes what in the section "The Moon"?
(a) The night sky.
(b) The moon.
(c) The sun.
(d) The stars.
10. The two men catch up on what has been going on in the area, including _____________ protest of a logging operation.
(a) An Audubon Society.
(b) An Earth First.
(c) A Green.
(d) A Sierra Club.
11. In "Habits and Hunts," what has the author given up?
(a) Brushing his teeth.
(b) Combing his hair.
12. In "Jack," what details are given about the author?
(a) The author's relationship with a young deer.
(b) The author's relationship with his son.
(c) The author's relationship with the raven he captured when it was a baby.
(d) The author's relationship with his neighbor.
13. How does the author think the clearing will look in the end, even though his style of harvesting trees could be considered sloppy?
(a) The same as if no logging had ever taken place.
(b) Like a desert.
(c) Similar to how it looked before.
(d) Very different from what it has looked like before.
14. Do they spot deer?
(a) Yes, many.
(b) Yes, but only one.
(c) Yes, but only a few.
15. In "August 9-13 Some Berries," the author is in search of some _____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. When they first arrive at the cabin, who depends on the author for his food and his companionship?
2. What does the author do to the mice?
3. After running in "September 27 Starting a Sugar Shack," how does the author feel?
4. What are the author and his son doing as the section "August 30" begins?
5. In the section "Time," the author realizes that he has spent over _________ months in the cabin.
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)