|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the squirrels, in particular, fascinate the author?
(a) They are very loud.
(b) They are very curious.
(c) They are very mean.
(d) They try so hard to stay hidden.
2. In the section "October 6 Cherry Hill Drive", the author drives to a clearing that has been logged ______________ before.
(a) A few decades.
(b) Many months.
(c) Many years.
(d) A few weeks.
3. The author writes about the delicate relationship between _________.
(a) The Earth and the moon.
(b) The Earth and the rest of the solar system.
(c) The Earth and the sun.
(d) The Earth and the stars.
4. The author has another run on "September 18" - this time running a length of __________ miles.
5. What caused the animals in the region to change?
(a) The change in the landscape.
(b) The coming of man.
(c) The changing climate.
(d) The change in the food supply.
6. After the evening chorus dies off, what does the author do?
(a) He grows tired of the birds.
(b) He sleeps in late.
(c) He records the songs of the birds.
(d) He wakes very early for the dawn chorus.
7. Eventually, what does Jack do?
(a) He moves back home.
(b) He attacks the author.
(c) He returns to school.
(d) He flies away from the author and the cabin and does not return.
8. Though the pair is hunting on election day, the author observes what?
(a) He feels the need to vote.
(b) There are quite a few others out hunting instead of voting.
(c) It really has no meaning to them, so removed from the real world.
(d) He wonders who he would have voted for.
9. When Europeans arrive, why do they clear the land?
(a) To make is suitable for living.
(b) To make it suitable for agriculture.
(c) To make room for more people to come.
(d) To be able to watch the sun rise and set.
10. In the section "Scents and Sounds," to what does the author listen?
(a) The sounds of the morning.
(b) The sounds of the evening.
(c) The sounds of the afternoon.
(d) The sounds of the night.
11. Where do the author and his son go In "Early September"?
(a) The art fair.
(b) The county fair.
(c) The state fair.
(d) The farmer's market.
12. The author notes more evidence of the seasons changing in "August 14 Whispers of Fall." Who comes for a visit?
(a) The author's son Stuart, his daughter Erica, and two friends.
(b) The author's daughter Erica.
(c) The author's wife.
(d) The author's son Stuart and his daughter Erica.
13. "The Traveling Companion" begins with the author's description of his journey to ___________.
(a) His son's school.
(b) His cabin deep in the woods of Maine.
(c) His son's home in Vermont.
(d) The bog.
14. In the section "September 20 Clearcuts," the author observes some wasps. This makes him think back to _____________.
(a) His own father's collection of wasps.
(b) His own collection of wasps.
(c) The wasps by his cabin.
(d) His son's collection of wasps.
15. What does Stuart win?
(a) A pig.
(b) A horse.
(c) A painting.
(d) A pumpkin.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Jack," what details are given about the author?
2. The author observes what in the section "The Moon"?
3. In the section "September 23-26 The Garden," the author observes what about the green beans and squash he planted?
4. When little mice first start to join the author in his cabin, he thinks they are ___________.
5. In "Bedrock," the author gives a ___________ history of the region.
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)