|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author notes more evidence of the seasons changing in "August 14 Whispers of Fall." Who comes for a visit?
(a) The author's daughter Erica.
(b) The author's wife.
(c) The author's son Stuart, his daughter Erica, and two friends.
(d) The author's son Stuart and his daughter Erica.
2. In "Burning Wood," the author writes that he is happy he has cut down so much wood, and it has given him a feeling of accomplishment. Nevertheless, what is he annoyed about?
(a) His stove is efficient at cooking food but inefficient at heating his cabin.
(b) The wood is filled with insects.
(c) He is still in need of more wood.
(d) He is very sore from chopping wood.
3. The author and his son plant a ______ oak near the cabin.
4. The author watches in fascination as _______________.
(a) An artist paints his portrait.
(b) Teams of horses and oxen pull heavy loads for a large crowd of spectators.
(c) The horses compete in dressage.
(d) Chefs make several types of pies for the visitors to try.
5. In the section "Election Time," the author's ______________ is visiting for a deer hunt.
6. In the section "Scents and Sounds," to what does the author listen?
(a) The sounds of the evening.
(b) The sounds of the afternoon.
(c) The sounds of the night.
(d) The sounds of the morning.
7. Eventually, what does Jack do?
(a) He attacks the author.
(b) He flies away from the author and the cabin and does not return.
(c) He moves back home.
(d) He returns to school.
8. While the author is working on building the new outhouse, what must he make a trip into town to get?
(a) Some scrap lumber.
(b) A hammer.
(c) Some nails.
(d) Some wood glue.
9. "October 3 The Annual Rendezvous" is about __________________.
(a) A party the author attends every year.
(b) A faculty meeting held for all college professors.
(c) A party that the author hosts up on the mountain every year.
(d) A dinner meeting the author holds every year for his colleagues.
10. In "September 23-26 The Garden," what does the author find after waking up one morning?
(a) A black bear is outside the cabin.
(b) The animals have eaten his remaining vegetables.
(c) His vegetables have all flowered.
(d) The first frost has hit, killing all his remaining vegetables.
11. In the section "September 20 Clearcuts," the author observes some wasps. This makes him think back to _____________.
(a) His own father's collection of wasps.
(b) His own collection of wasps.
(c) His son's collection of wasps.
(d) The wasps by his cabin.
12. What is the thing that surprises the author the most?
(a) He has adjusted to living in his cabin.
(b) Most of the leaves have fallen off the ash tree.
(c) The vibrant colors of the fall leaves.
(d) Most of the birds have left.
13. The trees that now populate the region are the trees of __________.
(a) A more populated region.
(b) A cooler climate.
(c) A warmer, temperate climate.
(d) Those planted by man.
14. The author smells a scent that triggers a memory of a childhood evening with whom?
(a) His aunt.
(b) His brother.
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
15. "The Traveling Companion" begins with the author's description of his journey to ___________.
(a) His son's home in Vermont.
(b) His cabin deep in the woods of Maine.
(c) The bog.
(d) His son's school.
Short Answer Questions
1. "The Time of Birdsong" describes the author's all-day observations of __________.
2. In town the author meets _________________, who gives him some wood and fixes his chainsaw.
3. What does the author reflect on as he gathers bunches of berries?
4. Where do the author and his son go In "Early September"?
5. In "August 9-13 Some Berries," the author is in search of some _____________.
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)