|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Habits and Hunts," what has the author given up?
(c) Combing his hair.
(d) Brushing his teeth.
2. What is "October 10 Home Chores" about?
(a) The author's family.
(b) The author's peculiar style of living in the cabin.
(c) The author's chores.
(d) The author's records of his experiences.
3. One raven flies close to the author, circles away, and then comes back. At this point, what is the author wondering about?
(a) If the raven is scared of him.
(b) If it is curious about him.
(c) If the raven does not like him.
(d) If it is his friend Jack.
4. The birds start when it is still dark and the singing picks up with the increasing __________.
5. What are the author and his son doing as the section "August 30" begins?
(c) Picking blackberries.
6. What comes out in the early evening, closely followed by several types of songbirds?
(a) Swarms of mosquitoes.
(b) Swarms of flies.
7. The author observes a pair of swallows in a nest by his cabin and how quickly they move on with their lives when ____________.
(a) Their baby birds are killed.
(b) Their eggs hatch.
(c) Their nest is destroyed.
(d) They are injured while protecting their nest.
8. In "Bedrock," the author gives a ___________ history of the region.
9. His traveling companion is a ____________ that he took out of the nest when it was still a baby.
10. The author observes what in the section "The Moon"?
(a) The moon.
(b) The night sky.
(c) The stars.
(d) The sun.
11. What does the author find for Jack to sleep on?
(a) A twin bed.
(b) A wood pile.
(c) A blanket.
(d) A straw mattress.
12. The author has another run on "September 18" - this time running a length of __________ miles.
13. The trees that now populate the region are the trees of __________.
(a) Those planted by man.
(b) A cooler climate.
(c) A warmer, temperate climate.
(d) A more populated region.
14. In "September 13," how many miles does the author run as he observes caterpillars, ravens, and flies along the way?
15. After the author runs, how does he feel?
(b) Relaxed and content.
(c) Tired and sore.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the section "September 20 Clearcuts," the author observes some wasps. This makes him think back to _____________.
2. Eventually, what does Jack do?
3. What does the author reflect on as he gathers bunches of berries?
4. After running in "September 27 Starting a Sugar Shack," how does the author feel?
5. What does the author believe is responsible for our changing seasons today?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)