|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "November 8-9 Jack?" the author observes a group of ravens that he has done what for?
(a) Set out food.
(b) Built a nest.
(c) Talked to.
2. Why does the author roll rocks under the foundation of his cabin?
(a) To make it more attractive.
(b) To help keep it dry.
(c) To winterize it.
(d) To keep the animals out.
3. What does the author do to the mice?
(a) He feeds them.
(b) He names them.
(c) He lures them outside.
(d) He exterminates them.
4. The families have lived in the area since _________, and the author is a friend of the descendants of those first settlers.
5. In "Bedrock," the author gives a ___________ history of the region.
6. The author reflects in "October 14 To Find Small Caterpillars" that he is much like whom?
(a) HIs father.
(b) His son.
(d) His wife.
7. The two men catch up on what has been going on in the area, including _____________ protest of a logging operation.
(a) A Green.
(b) An Earth First.
(c) An Audubon Society.
(d) A Sierra Club.
8. In the section "Election Time," the author's ______________ is visiting for a deer hunt.
9. During a ________, the author notices that most of the trees turn from green to yellow.
(c) Bike ride.
10. In the section "September 23-26 The Garden," the author observes what about the green beans and squash he planted?
(a) They are very large and colorful.
(b) They died.
(c) They grew fruit.
(d) They failed to fruit.
11. After the author runs, how does he feel?
(a) Relaxed and content.
(b) Tired and sore.
12. The logging company uses dangerous ________________ to get rid of the trees.
(a) Poisonous sprays.
(b) Large chainsaws.
(c) Small explosions..
(d) Felling tools.
13. Eventually, what does Jack do?
(a) He attacks the author.
(b) He returns to school.
(c) He moves back home.
(d) He flies away from the author and the cabin and does not return.
14. What does the section "August 4 Wanderers" describe?
(a) A powerful storm.
(b) A heavy rain and the animals who depend on that moisture.
(c) The author wandering in the woods.
(d) The animals that wander the forest.
15. What comes out in the early evening, closely followed by several types of songbirds?
(a) Swarms of mosquitoes.
(d) Swarms of flies.
Short Answer Questions
1. While the author is working on building the new outhouse, what must he make a trip into town to get?
2. The author and his son plant a ______ oak near the cabin.
3. Giant piles of gravel, steep ridges, and ponds are all evidence of ___________.
4. Now that the leaves have fallen, what can the author do?
5. What is "September 27 Starting a Sugar Shack" about?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)