|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Though the pair is hunting on election day, the author observes what?
(a) He feels the need to vote.
(b) It really has no meaning to them, so removed from the real world.
(c) There are quite a few others out hunting instead of voting.
(d) He wonders who he would have voted for.
2. The trees that now populate the region are the trees of __________.
(a) A warmer, temperate climate.
(b) Those planted by man.
(c) A cooler climate.
(d) A more populated region.
3. What comes out in the early evening, closely followed by several types of songbirds?
(b) Swarms of mosquitoes.
(c) Swarms of flies.
4. A great glacier expands and retracts across North America for the last few _____________ years.
5. As the author cuts wood for the winter, he notices areas he cleared only a few years before are covered with __________.
6. What is "September 27 Starting a Sugar Shack" about?
(a) The author's maple syrup-making routine.
(b) The author's daily routines and his daily runs.
(c) The author's interest in squirrels.
(d) The author's desire for sugar.
7. In "Jack," what details are given about the author?
(a) The author's relationship with a young deer.
(b) The author's relationship with the raven he captured when it was a baby.
(c) The author's relationship with his son.
(d) The author's relationship with his neighbor.
8. In "Burning Wood," the author writes that he is happy he has cut down so much wood, and it has given him a feeling of accomplishment. Nevertheless, what is he annoyed about?
(a) He is very sore from chopping wood.
(b) The wood is filled with insects.
(c) His stove is efficient at cooking food but inefficient at heating his cabin.
(d) He is still in need of more wood.
9. Where do the author and his son go In "Early September"?
(a) The county fair.
(b) The state fair.
(c) The art fair.
(d) The farmer's market.
10. "Beginnings" deals with the author's goals for the _________ he will spend in the cabin.
(a) Two years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Six months.
11. In the section "September 23-26 The Garden," the author observes what about the green beans and squash he planted?
(a) They are very large and colorful.
(b) They grew fruit.
(c) They died.
(d) They failed to fruit.
12. The families have lived in the area since _________, and the author is a friend of the descendants of those first settlers.
13. In "October 1 The Foliage," what happens for the first time?
(a) The snow falls.
(b) The forest is quiet.
(c) It rains.
(d) The author becomes bored.
14. The author reflects in "October 14 To Find Small Caterpillars" that he is much like whom?
(a) HIs father.
(c) His son.
(d) His wife.
15. When Europeans arrive, why do they clear the land?
(a) To make it suitable for agriculture.
(b) To make is suitable for living.
(c) To be able to watch the sun rise and set.
(d) To make room for more people to come.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Scrap Lumber" describes the author's daily routine of ___________.
2. "The Time of Birdsong" describes the author's all-day observations of __________.
3. In "September 13," how many miles does the author run as he observes caterpillars, ravens, and flies along the way?
4. While the author is working on building the new outhouse, what must he make a trip into town to get?
5. What does Stuart win?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)