|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through September 23-26 The Garden, September 27 Starting a Sugar Shack, October 1 The Foliage, October 3 The Rendevous, October 6 Cherry Hill Drive, October 7 Housemates, October 8 Moose, October 10 Home Chores, October 11-13, Flying Samaras and Consciousness.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the author's run, what does he notice?
(a) Snow starting to fall.
(b) The leaves have begun to change color.
(c) Several deer in a field.
(d) The first apple leaves starting to fall.
2. The author observes a pair of swallows in a nest by his cabin and how quickly they move on with their lives when ____________.
(a) Their eggs hatch.
(b) Their baby birds are killed.
(c) Their nest is destroyed.
(d) They are injured while protecting their nest.
3. The two men catch up on what has been going on in the area, including _____________ protest of a logging operation.
(a) A Sierra Club.
(b) An Audubon Society.
(c) An Earth First.
(d) A Green.
4. What does the author notice about the plants in the shade?
(a) They grow faster and always flower.
(b) They are larger than those in sunlight.
(c) They are lighter in color than those in sunlight.
(d) They grow slower and sometimes never flower.
5. What comes out in the early evening, closely followed by several types of songbirds?
(a) Swarms of flies.
(d) Swarms of mosquitoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. When farming begins to spread farther west, the land reverts from farmland to ________.
2. A great glacier expands and retracts across North America for the last few _____________ years.
3. As the author cuts wood for the winter, he notices areas he cleared only a few years before are covered with __________.
4. The birds start when it is still dark and the singing picks up with the increasing __________.
5. In "Bedrock," the author gives a ___________ history of the region.
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)