|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through August 4 Wanderers, August 6 Late Summer Ramblings, August 9-13 Some Berries, August 14 Whispers of Fall, August 30, Early September, September 13, September 18, September 20 Clearcuts.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the author's run, what does he notice?
(a) The leaves have begun to change color.
(b) Several deer in a field.
(c) Snow starting to fall.
(d) The first apple leaves starting to fall.
2. In the section "Time," the author realizes that he has spent over _________ months in the cabin.
3. Giant piles of gravel, steep ridges, and ponds are all evidence of ___________.
(a) The last tornado.
(b) The last meteor shower.
(c) The last glacier.
(d) The last earthquake.
4. The author observes a pair of swallows in a nest by his cabin and how quickly they move on with their lives when ____________.
(a) Their nest is destroyed.
(b) Their baby birds are killed.
(c) Their eggs hatch.
(d) They are injured while protecting their nest.
5. The birds start when it is still dark and the singing picks up with the increasing __________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author awaken to on his first morning?
2. In the section "September 20 Clearcuts," the author observes some wasps. This makes him think back to _____________.
3. What are the author and his son doing as the section "August 30" begins?
4. The author notes more evidence of the seasons changing in "August 14 Whispers of Fall." Who comes for a visit?
5. As he climbs closer to a bog, he notices not just berries, but also the many _______________ that will later come into season.
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)