|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through August 4 Wanderers, August 6 Late Summer Ramblings, August 9-13 Some Berries, August 14 Whispers of Fall, August 30, Early September, September 13, September 18, September 20 Clearcuts.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the evening chorus dies off, what does the author do?
(a) He sleeps in late.
(b) He grows tired of the birds.
(c) He wakes very early for the dawn chorus.
(d) He records the songs of the birds.
2. In "Beginnings," the author tells us that he has what kind of contact with the outside world?
(a) A walkie-talkie.
(b) A cell phone.
(c) A telephone in the neighbor's outhouse.
(d) A telephone in his bedroom.
3. In town the author meets _________________, who gives him some wood and fixes his chainsaw.
(a) Paul Kinnard.
(b) Peter Kinney.
(c) Perry Kennedy.
(d) Patrick Kearney.
4. What does the author find for Jack to sleep on?
(a) A wood pile.
(b) A straw mattress.
(c) A twin bed.
(d) A blanket.
5. What does the section "August 4 Wanderers" describe?
(a) The animals that wander the forest.
(b) A powerful storm.
(c) A heavy rain and the animals who depend on that moisture.
(d) The author wandering in the woods.
Short Answer Questions
1. Giant piles of gravel, steep ridges, and ponds are all evidence of ___________.
2. What does the author notice about the plants in the shade?
3. The trees that now populate the region are the trees of __________.
4. When Europeans arrive, why do they clear the land?
5. "Beginnings" deals with the author's goals for the _________ he will spend in the cabin.
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)