|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through August 4 Wanderers, August 6 Late Summer Ramblings, August 9-13 Some Berries, August 14 Whispers of Fall, August 30, Early September, September 13, September 18, September 20 Clearcuts.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When farming begins to spread farther west, the land reverts from farmland to ________.
2. The birds start when it is still dark and the singing picks up with the increasing __________.
3. What caused the animals in the region to change?
(a) The changing climate.
(b) The change in the landscape.
(c) The change in the food supply.
(d) The coming of man.
4. The author observes a pair of swallows in a nest by his cabin and how quickly they move on with their lives when ____________.
(a) Their eggs hatch.
(b) They are injured while protecting their nest.
(c) Their baby birds are killed.
(d) Their nest is destroyed.
5. In the section "Time," the author realizes that he has spent over _________ months in the cabin.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Late Summer Ramblings," the author writes about the changing of the seasons and the life cycle of ________.
2. As he climbs closer to a bog, he notices not just berries, but also the many _______________ that will later come into season.
3. During his daily_______, the author sees a web of many tiny caterpillars all flashing together in unison from side to side.
4. Giant piles of gravel, steep ridges, and ponds are all evidence of ___________.
5. A great glacier expands and retracts across North America for the last few _____________ years.
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)