|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through August 4 Wanderers, August 6 Late Summer Ramblings, August 9-13 Some Berries, August 14 Whispers of Fall, August 30, Early September, September 13, September 18, September 20 Clearcuts.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "The Urgency of Spring" is the story of what?
(a) How plants and animals cannot wait for spring.
(b) How the author is desperately in need of spring.
(c) How the woods is in need of spring's warmth.
(d) How plants and animals reproduce and die.
2. A great glacier expands and retracts across North America for the last few _____________ years.
3. The two men catch up on what has been going on in the area, including _____________ protest of a logging operation.
(a) A Sierra Club.
(b) An Audubon Society.
(c) A Green.
(d) An Earth First.
4. In the section "September 20 Clearcuts," the author observes some wasps. This makes him think back to _____________.
(a) His own collection of wasps.
(b) His own father's collection of wasps.
(c) The wasps by his cabin.
(d) His son's collection of wasps.
5. The author watches in fascination as _______________.
(a) Teams of horses and oxen pull heavy loads for a large crowd of spectators.
(b) The horses compete in dressage.
(c) An artist paints his portrait.
(d) Chefs make several types of pies for the visitors to try.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Scrap Lumber" describes the author's daily routine of ___________.
2. What comes out in the early evening, closely followed by several types of songbirds?
3. What does the author awaken to on his first morning?
4. While the author is working on building the new outhouse, what must he make a trip into town to get?
5. When they first arrive at the cabin, who depends on the author for his food and his companionship?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)