|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Urgency of Spring, June 12 Early Harvests, Jack, Bedrock, Time.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author notice about the plants in the shade?
(a) They grow faster and always flower.
(b) They are lighter in color than those in sunlight.
(c) They are larger than those in sunlight.
(d) They grow slower and sometimes never flower.
2. What comes out in the early evening, closely followed by several types of songbirds?
(a) Swarms of flies.
(d) Swarms of mosquitoes.
3. After the evening chorus dies off, what does the author do?
(a) He sleeps in late.
(b) He records the songs of the birds.
(c) He wakes very early for the dawn chorus.
(d) He grows tired of the birds.
4. Why does the author roll rocks under the foundation of his cabin?
(a) To help keep it dry.
(b) To winterize it.
(c) To keep the animals out.
(d) To make it more attractive.
5. In the section "June 12 Early Harvests," the author continues felling trees and splitting wood for __________.
(a) Adding onto his cabin.
(b) Building a barn.
(c) His winter fires.
(d) Building an outhouse.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Jack," what details are given about the author?
2. A great glacier expands and retracts across North America for the last few _____________ years.
3. The author has observed that the small cemeteries are full of the families who first came to the area and that the majority of gravestones belong to whom?
4. "The Traveling Companion" begins with the author's description of his journey to ___________.
5. When Europeans arrive, why do they clear the land?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)