|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through August 4 Wanderers, August 6 Late Summer Ramblings, August 9-13 Some Berries, August 14 Whispers of Fall, August 30, Early September, September 13, September 18, September 20 Clearcuts.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The families have lived in the area since _________, and the author is a friend of the descendants of those first settlers.
2. What does the author find for Jack to sleep on?
(a) A twin bed.
(b) A blanket.
(c) A wood pile.
(d) A straw mattress.
3. "The Traveling Companion" begins with the author's description of his journey to ___________.
(a) The bog.
(b) His son's home in Vermont.
(c) His son's school.
(d) His cabin deep in the woods of Maine.
4. The author and a friend who comes to visit one evening make a ___________ cobbler and dance in the moonlight.
5. The author notes more evidence of the seasons changing in "August 14 Whispers of Fall." Who comes for a visit?
(a) The author's daughter Erica.
(b) The author's wife.
(c) The author's son Stuart and his daughter Erica.
(d) The author's son Stuart, his daughter Erica, and two friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the section "August 4 Wanderers" describe?
2. While the author is working on building the new outhouse, what must he make a trip into town to get?
3. The two men catch up on what has been going on in the area, including _____________ protest of a logging operation.
4. In the section "September 20 Clearcuts," the author observes some wasps. This makes him think back to _____________.
5. "The Urgency of Spring" is the story of what?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)