|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through August 4 Wanderers, August 6 Late Summer Ramblings, August 9-13 Some Berries, August 14 Whispers of Fall, August 30, Early September, September 13, September 18, September 20 Clearcuts.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "Adams Hill" describe?
(a) The land around the cabin and the family who first settled in the area.
(b) A local cemetery.
(c) The author's family.
(d) A favorite sledding hill.
2. What does the author awaken to on his first morning?
(b) Frogs croaking.
(c) The sound of cars.
(d) The many different birdcalls.
3. What does the author find for Jack to sleep on?
(a) A blanket.
(b) A wood pile.
(c) A twin bed.
(d) A straw mattress.
4. Why does the author roll rocks under the foundation of his cabin?
(a) To make it more attractive.
(b) To help keep it dry.
(c) To winterize it.
(d) To keep the animals out.
5. When they first arrive at the cabin, who depends on the author for his food and his companionship?
(a) The raven.
(b) The deer.
(c) The son.
(d) The neighbor.
Short Answer Questions
1. The families have lived in the area since _________, and the author is a friend of the descendants of those first settlers.
2. "Scrap Lumber" describes the author's daily routine of ___________.
3. What caused the animals in the region to change?
4. In "Beginnings," the author tells us that he has what kind of contact with the outside world?
5. The birds start when it is still dark and the singing picks up with the increasing __________.
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)