|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through August 4 Wanderers, August 6 Late Summer Ramblings, August 9-13 Some Berries, August 14 Whispers of Fall, August 30, Early September, September 13, September 18, September 20 Clearcuts.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Giant piles of gravel, steep ridges, and ponds are all evidence of ___________.
(a) The last earthquake.
(b) The last tornado.
(c) The last meteor shower.
(d) The last glacier.
2. "The Traveling Companion" begins with the author's description of his journey to ___________.
(a) The bog.
(b) His son's school.
(c) His son's home in Vermont.
(d) His cabin deep in the woods of Maine.
3. "The Time of Birdsong" describes the author's all-day observations of __________.
(a) The birds he has captured in a cage.
(b) The song and calls of the larks by his window.
(c) The ravens.
(d) The different calls and songs of the birds in the area.
4. What does the section "August 4 Wanderers" describe?
(a) A powerful storm.
(b) The animals that wander the forest.
(c) A heavy rain and the animals who depend on that moisture.
(d) The author wandering in the woods.
5. "The Urgency of Spring" is the story of what?
(a) How the author is desperately in need of spring.
(b) How plants and animals reproduce and die.
(c) How the woods is in need of spring's warmth.
(d) How plants and animals cannot wait for spring.
Short Answer Questions
1. When they first arrive at the cabin, who depends on the author for his food and his companionship?
2. After the author runs, how does he feel?
3. The author has observed that the small cemeteries are full of the families who first came to the area and that the majority of gravestones belong to whom?
4. What does "Adams Hill" describe?
5. In "Bedrock," the author gives a ___________ history of the region.
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)