|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through August 4 Wanderers, August 6 Late Summer Ramblings, August 9-13 Some Berries, August 14 Whispers of Fall, August 30, Early September, September 13, September 18, September 20 Clearcuts.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The logging company uses dangerous ________________ to get rid of the trees.
(a) Small explosions..
(b) Felling tools.
(c) Poisonous sprays.
(d) Large chainsaws.
2. After a few weeks, what does Jack learn to do on his own?
3. In the section "September 20 Clearcuts," the author observes some wasps. This makes him think back to _____________.
(a) His son's collection of wasps.
(b) The wasps by his cabin.
(c) His own father's collection of wasps.
(d) His own collection of wasps.
4. When farming begins to spread farther west, the land reverts from farmland to ________.
5. The author notices the trees and flowers blooming and climbs up into _______________ where he has built a lookout to observe the natural world.
(a) A hot air balloon.
(b) A poplar tree.
(c) A red spruce tree.
(d) The loft of the barn.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Europeans arrive, why do they clear the land?
2. What does the author awaken to on his first morning?
3. When they first arrive at the cabin, who depends on the author for his food and his companionship?
4. In "September 13," how many miles does the author run as he observes caterpillars, ravens, and flies along the way?
5. A great glacier expands and retracts across North America for the last few _____________ years.
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)