|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through August 4 Wanderers, August 6 Late Summer Ramblings, August 9-13 Some Berries, August 14 Whispers of Fall, August 30, Early September, September 13, September 18, September 20 Clearcuts.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "The Traveling Companion" begins with the author's description of his journey to ___________.
(a) His cabin deep in the woods of Maine.
(b) The bog.
(c) His son's home in Vermont.
(d) His son's school.
2. What does the author reflect on as he gathers bunches of berries?
(a) His marriage.
(b) Earlier times in his childhood.
(c) His son.
(d) Earlier months of his stay in the cabin.
3. What caused the animals in the region to change?
(a) The changing climate.
(b) The change in the landscape.
(c) The change in the food supply.
(d) The coming of man.
4. The author watches in fascination as _______________.
(a) Chefs make several types of pies for the visitors to try.
(b) Teams of horses and oxen pull heavy loads for a large crowd of spectators.
(c) An artist paints his portrait.
(d) The horses compete in dressage.
5. The author observes a pair of swallows in a nest by his cabin and how quickly they move on with their lives when ____________.
(a) Their nest is destroyed.
(b) Their baby birds are killed.
(c) They are injured while protecting their nest.
(d) Their eggs hatch.
Short Answer Questions
1. The logging company uses dangerous ________________ to get rid of the trees.
2. The author notices the trees and flowers blooming and climbs up into _______________ where he has built a lookout to observe the natural world.
3. When farming begins to spread farther west, the land reverts from farmland to ________.
4. A great glacier expands and retracts across North America for the last few _____________ years.
5. The author and his son plant a ______ oak near the cabin.
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)