|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through August 4 Wanderers, August 6 Late Summer Ramblings, August 9-13 Some Berries, August 14 Whispers of Fall, August 30, Early September, September 13, September 18, September 20 Clearcuts.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author and his son plant a ______ oak near the cabin.
2. When Europeans arrive, why do they clear the land?
(a) To make room for more people to come.
(b) To be able to watch the sun rise and set.
(c) To make it suitable for agriculture.
(d) To make is suitable for living.
3. What does the author notice about the plants in the shade?
(a) They grow slower and sometimes never flower.
(b) They are lighter in color than those in sunlight.
(c) They are larger than those in sunlight.
(d) They grow faster and always flower.
4. "The Time of Birdsong" describes the author's all-day observations of __________.
(a) The ravens.
(b) The song and calls of the larks by his window.
(c) The birds he has captured in a cage.
(d) The different calls and songs of the birds in the area.
5. What does "Adams Hill" describe?
(a) The land around the cabin and the family who first settled in the area.
(b) The author's family.
(c) A local cemetery.
(d) A favorite sledding hill.
Short Answer Questions
1. Giant piles of gravel, steep ridges, and ponds are all evidence of ___________.
2. During his daily_______, the author sees a web of many tiny caterpillars all flashing together in unison from side to side.
3. The families have lived in the area since _________, and the author is a friend of the descendants of those first settlers.
4. "Scrap Lumber" describes the author's daily routine of ___________.
5. "The Traveling Companion" begins with the author's description of his journey to ___________.
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)