|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through August 4 Wanderers, August 6 Late Summer Ramblings, August 9-13 Some Berries, August 14 Whispers of Fall, August 30, Early September, September 13, September 18, September 20 Clearcuts.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "The Time of Birdsong" describes the author's all-day observations of __________.
(a) The ravens.
(b) The song and calls of the larks by his window.
(c) The different calls and songs of the birds in the area.
(d) The birds he has captured in a cage.
2. What are the author and his son doing as the section "August 30" begins?
(a) Picking blackberries.
3. What does the author notice about the plants in the shade?
(a) They grow slower and sometimes never flower.
(b) They are lighter in color than those in sunlight.
(c) They are larger than those in sunlight.
(d) They grow faster and always flower.
4. The logging company uses dangerous ________________ to get rid of the trees.
(a) Large chainsaws.
(b) Small explosions..
(c) Felling tools.
(d) Poisonous sprays.
5. The author and his son plant a ______ oak near the cabin.
Short Answer Questions
1. In town the author meets _________________, who gives him some wood and fixes his chainsaw.
2. A great glacier expands and retracts across North America for the last few _____________ years.
3. What does the author awaken to on his first morning?
4. In "Beginnings," the author tells us that he has what kind of contact with the outside world?
5. Why does the author roll rocks under the foundation of his cabin?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)