|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through November 15 Moss Watch, November 25 Connections, November 28 More Flies, December 3, December 4, December 8, December 9 The Lunar Eclipse, December 11 Wind, December 12 Rump Steak and Roadkills, December 13, December 15 You Can Never Go Back, December 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the section "Moss Watch," the author describes the various types of ________________ he can see around his cabin.
(a) Mice and rats.
(b) Flowers and plants.
(c) Moss and lichen.
(d) Spiders and flies.
2. In "Burning Wood," the author writes that he is happy he has cut down so much wood, and it has given him a feeling of accomplishment. Nevertheless, what is he annoyed about?
(a) The wood is filled with insects.
(b) He is very sore from chopping wood.
(c) His stove is efficient at cooking food but inefficient at heating his cabin.
(d) He is still in need of more wood.
3. In the section "September 20 Clearcuts," the author observes some wasps. This makes him think back to _____________.
(a) His own collection of wasps.
(b) His own father's collection of wasps.
(c) The wasps by his cabin.
(d) His son's collection of wasps.
4. The author notes more evidence of the seasons changing in "August 14 Whispers of Fall." Who comes for a visit?
(a) The author's son Stuart and his daughter Erica.
(b) The author's daughter Erica.
(c) The author's son Stuart, his daughter Erica, and two friends.
(d) The author's wife.
5. On what does the author base his conclusions?
(a) On his assumptions.
(b) On his experiments.
(c) On previously discovered scientific evidence.
(d) On his observations.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the author cuts wood for the winter, he notices areas he cleared only a few years before are covered with __________.
2. In the section "September 23-26 The Garden," the author observes what about the green beans and squash he planted?
3. What does the author believe is responsible for our changing seasons today?
4. Giant piles of gravel, steep ridges, and ponds are all evidence of ___________.
5. During his daily_______, the author sees a web of many tiny caterpillars all flashing together in unison from side to side.
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)