|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cows, Early February, March 13 Storm Warnings, March 14 Storm, March 14 After the Storm, March 16, Spring, March 20-21 First Tappers, March 23, March 25 Birch Seeds.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "March 25 Birch Seeds," how many birch seeds are shed by the tree?
2. During the author's run, what does he notice?
(a) The first apple leaves starting to fall.
(b) Snow starting to fall.
(c) The leaves have begun to change color.
(d) Several deer in a field.
3. The author ponders about the first Native Americans who discovered __________.
(a) How to hunt.
(b) How to catch squirrels.
(c) How to make maple syrup.
(d) How to cook squirrel.
4. In the section "September 20 Clearcuts," the author observes some wasps. This makes him think back to _____________.
(a) His son's collection of wasps.
(b) The wasps by his cabin.
(c) His own father's collection of wasps.
(d) His own collection of wasps.
5. Why might the squirrels be biting down into the bark?
(a) To catch bugs in the bark.
(b) To eat the bark.
(c) To allow the sap to escape.
(d) To drill a hole in the bark to make a nest.
Short Answer Questions
1. One raven flies close to the author, circles away, and then comes back. At this point, what is the author wondering about?
2. The author decides to make maple syrup with whom?
3. During his daily_______, the author sees a web of many tiny caterpillars all flashing together in unison from side to side.
4. The author has another run on "September 18" - this time running a length of __________ miles.
5. For what sound does the author still listen intently?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)