|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jake knows Judge Noose will feel how about the National Guard being called in?
2. What is the jury's decision?
3. Subsequent to Bass's testimony, what does Jake do when the lawyers are summoned to the judge's chambers?
4. What is Lucien's advice to Jake regarding fear?
5. While they await the jury's verdict from Jake's office, what does Lucien confirm as he spins tales regarding his family's heritage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Just past midnight of the day Dr. Bass was questioned, what does Jake discover when driven to his home due to an emergency?
2. What does Jake do on the balcony of his office after he returns from the Coffee Shop on the day the jurors deliver their verdict?
3. On the second day of the trial, what happens to Gerald Ault, Jake's "ace-in-the-hole"?
4. What issues did Lucien face in bringing thousands of black protesters to Clanton?
5. Why is Lucien able to draw thousands of black residents from northern Mississippi to Clanton to demonstrate on behalf of Carl Lee?
6. What are some of the changes in perspective the Carl Lee Hailey trial has had on Jake?
7. How does Grisham depict Jake's response to the soldier who is seriously injured for protecting him?
8. On Monday, the first morning of the trial, what positions does Jake direct Ellen and Harry Rex, his two assistants, to assume?
9. What does the reader learn was key to the jury being swayed to finding an innocent by reason of insanity verdict?
10. Why is everyone relieved when Jake declines to question Murphy, the janitor, in cross-examination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John Grisham is very elaborate in providing the reader a detailed description of Jake Brigance's historic legal suite, with multiple rooms and a balcony overlooking the courthouse square. He then utilizes this setting throughout the story in relaying Jake's reliance upon it. Analyze Grisham's use of this setting in the novel, and how it pertains to the political, social climate of the story.
Essay Topic 2
Once the Ku Klux Klan identifies and kills "Mickey Mouse," they no longer have to worry about being "snitched" on. They now are free to roam and wreak havoc without being reported on. Yet there are signs the KKK plans to permanently leave the county. What are these signs? Why do they not stay when they no longer have a "snitch" amongst the KKK brethren? Are there differences between Ford County from Nettles County that are possibly prompting their departure?
Essay Topic 3
Ellen Roark and Harry Rex perform legal support functions for Jake Brigance. Identify and compare these functions. How are they similar? How are they different? At what times does Jake rely on these legal support services, and when does he operate without them?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)