|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jake not tell Carla about in his hour long phone conversation with her Sunday, the evening of the day he returns from Memphis with Harry Rex?
2. Ministers start a parade of black protesters behind a fifteen-foot banner that reads what?
3. Who else does Jake visit in the Memphis hospital?
4. Where does Judge Noose advise the jurors they will be sequestered?
5. Buckley's opening statement runs an hour and a half, and Jake's opening is how long?
Short Essay Questions
1. On Monday, the first morning of the trial, what positions does Jake direct Ellen and Harry Rex, his two assistants, to assume?
2. How do Buckley's and Jake's approaches differ?
3. In Chapter 37, how does the consumption or abuse of alcohol come into play?
4. What happens between Jake and Ellen on the balcony of Jake's office?
5. What does Jake when the National Guard arrive?
6. What happens on the Saturday morning when "Mickey Mouse" tips Ozzie the Klan plan a multi-state retaliation for the Thursday riot?
7. What does the reader learn was key to the jury being swayed to finding an innocent by reason of insanity verdict?
8. When the case is given to the jury, where do the members stand?
9. How do Harry Rex's pickup and Jake's Saab reflect more than a matter of taste, but of personality?
10. Shortly after midnight, following the riot in the courthouse square, what do five teams of the KKK do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Once the Ku Klux Klan identifies and kills "Mickey Mouse," they no longer have to worry about being "snitched" on. They now are free to roam and wreak havoc without being reported on. Yet there are signs the KKK plans to permanently leave the county. What are these signs? Why do they not stay when they no longer have a "snitch" amongst the KKK brethren? Are there differences between Ford County from Nettles County that are possibly prompting their departure?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the Coffee Shop and Claude's. Who do they cater to? Who are the key figures related to these establishments? Elaborate on the function they serve in John Grisham's story. When does Jake Brigance patronize them and why?
Essay Topic 3
When Freddie Cobb arrives at the Ku Klux Klan meeting in Nettles County, he attempts to gain their help in retaliation for his brother's murder. How do Klan members view Billy Ray's murder? How will they accomplish this? What is the outcome of their peaceful demonstration outside the Clanton Courthouse? Examine the KKK's actions in this story, as well as the consequences.
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)