|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who aids Ellen following her plight?
2. What does Jake say to the judge after Ozzie explains what has taken place to Noose?
3. While they await the jury's verdict from Jake's office, what does Lucien confirm as he spins tales regarding his family's heritage?
4. What question does Jake ask of Ozzie during cross-examination that Buckley wildly objects to and Jake withdraws, but Ozzie has already nodded affirmatively to?
5. When the word gets out that the jury is ready, what does Reverend Agee do with the demonstrators?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on the Saturday morning when "Mickey Mouse" tips Ozzie the Klan plan a multi-state retaliation for the Thursday riot?
2. What offer does Lucien make to Jake regarding the jury that he objects to?
3. What transpires when Jake requests a change of venue in chambers on Monday, the first day of court?
4. What does the reader learn was key to the jury being swayed to finding an innocent by reason of insanity verdict?
5. What happens between Jake and Ellen on the balcony of Jake's office?
6. What happens when Ellen first arrives at Jake's office on the Sunday the National Guard arrives?
7. Beyond the cost of a human life and loss for loved ones and associates, what are some of the significant ramifications of Tim Nunley's death?
8. Why is everyone relieved when Jake declines to question Murphy, the janitor, in cross-examination?
9. How do Harry Rex's pickup and Jake's Saab reflect more than a matter of taste, but of personality?
10. What transpires when Clyde Acker walks for a cola at the Temple Inn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Provide examples from the text where John Grisham utilizes the language and culture of the south to place the reader in the small, Mississippi town of Clanton.
Essay Topic 2
Who is identified at "Mickey Mouse" in the Ku Klux Klan? What has this individual attempted to do secretly? Provide several examples of "Mickey Mouse's" success. When did "Mickey Mouse" fail?
Essay Topic 3
John Grisham presents a dark story. A 10-year-old girl is beaten, urinated on, and raped by two drunk, Mississippi rednecks. She endures unreal, subsequent trauma afterward. Her father kills the perpetrators. He is placed on trial for their murders and may be killed. A "snitch" in the KKK warns local law enforcement of potential attacks, and is himself killed in retribution. A KKK leader is killed with a Molotov cocktail. Others die in Grisham's novel, "A Time to Kill." Explain what the author is referring to by his title.
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)