|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After going to the lake with Harry Rex, Jake visits Lucien and discovers what?
2. What does Jake not tell Carla about in his hour long phone conversation with her Sunday, the evening of the day he returns from Memphis with Harry Rex?
3. While Jake and Ellen are working on various issues of the case, whom do they invite to join them on the balcony of the law office?
4. What is the jury's decision?
5. Why is Carl Lee aghast when the jury is finally seated?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is everyone relieved when Jake declines to question Murphy, the janitor, in cross-examination?
2. What happens when Jake requests a change of venue from Judge Noose following the riot and cross-burnings?
3. Why is Jake essentially lost in court the day he returned after being shot at?
4. What transpires when Clyde Acker walks for a cola at the Temple Inn?
5. What does Jake when the National Guard arrive?
6. Beyond the cost of a human life and loss for loved ones and associates, what are some of the significant ramifications of Tim Nunley's death?
7. What issues did Lucien face in bringing thousands of black protesters to Clanton?
8. What are some of the changes in perspective the Carl Lee Hailey trial has had on Jake?
9. On the second day of the trial, what happens to Gerald Ault, Jake's "ace-in-the-hole"?
10. What happens when Ellen first arrives at Jake's office on the Sunday the National Guard arrives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is identified at "Mickey Mouse" in the Ku Klux Klan? What has this individual attempted to do secretly? Provide several examples of "Mickey Mouse's" success. When did "Mickey Mouse" fail?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of legal scales balancing between right and wrong prevails with Barry Acker. What role does he play? What transpires while at the Temple Inn? As the jury continues in attempting to determine a verdict, what happens to Acker in his effort to achieve a decision? What safety precautions does he take? Elaborate in establishing these and other points in this theme.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the Coffee Shop and Claude's. Who do they cater to? Who are the key figures related to these establishments? Elaborate on the function they serve in John Grisham's story. When does Jake Brigance patronize them and why?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)