|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jake say to the judge after Ozzie explains what has taken place to Noose?
2. During the night of the second trial date, Stump Sisson dies, bringing the number of deaths related to Tonya's rape to how many?
3. Following Jake's closing before the jury, he and Lucien are drinking on Lucien's front porch where Deputy Nesbit helps himself to what?
4. Who has previously witnessed a KKK march in Clanton?
5. When Jake seeks a change of venue from Judge Noose and is told nothing would be done except removing 20 intimidated jurors, Jake learns what?
Short Essay Questions
1. On Monday, the first morning of the trial, what positions does Jake direct Ellen and Harry Rex, his two assistants, to assume?
2. How do Buckley's and Jake's approaches differ?
3. What happens on the Saturday morning when "Mickey Mouse" tips Ozzie the Klan plan a multi-state retaliation for the Thursday riot?
4. What happens when Ellen first arrives at Jake's office on the Sunday the National Guard arrives?
5. What does Jake when the National Guard arrive?
6. What transpires when Jake requests a change of venue in chambers on Monday, the first day of court?
7. What are some of the changes in perspective the Carl Lee Hailey trial has had on Jake?
8. What transpires when Clyde Acker walks for a cola at the Temple Inn?
9. Why do the jurors feel more incarcerated than safe?
10. Beyond the cost of a human life and loss for loved ones and associates, what are some of the significant ramifications of Tim Nunley's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ellen Roark and Harry Rex perform legal support functions for Jake Brigance. Identify and compare these functions. How are they similar? How are they different? At what times does Jake rely on these legal support services, and when does he operate without them?
Essay Topic 2
John Grisham is noted for his mastering the writing style with roller coaster peaks and valleys between and within chapters. He also includes sudden twists and turns with brief, intermittent recoveries. Examine how his style in "A Time to Kill," and include examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Provide examples from the text where John Grisham utilizes the language and culture of the south to place the reader in the small, Mississippi town of Clanton.
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)