Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is wounded when Jake is escorted from his office to the courthouse on Friday morning, the fifth day?
2. When the trial resumes following the brief recess, why does Jake decline to question Rodeheaver?
3. Some of the patrons in the Coffee Shop speculate what about a reporter from the Channel 4 News?
4. When the word gets out that the jury is ready, what does Reverend Agee do with the demonstrators?
5. Where does Deputy Nesbit take Ellen to sleep the night before the trial opens?
Essay Topic 1
Provide examples from the text where John Grisham utilizes the language and culture of the south to place the reader in the small, Mississippi town of Clanton.
Essay Topic 2
One theme that runs through "A Time to Kill" is deciding between the paths of right and wrong where risks are involved due to influence or threat of the KKK. Examine and compare how it is approached by Judge Noose, jury member Barry Acker, and Jake Brigance.
Essay Topic 3
John Grisham is very elaborate in providing the reader a detailed description of Jake Brigance's historic legal suite, with multiple rooms and a balcony overlooking the courthouse square. He then utilizes this setting throughout the story in relaying Jake's reliance upon it. Analyze Grisham's use of this setting in the novel, and how it pertains to the political, social climate of the story.
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)