|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the bored jurors doing by the evening of the third day after the phones have been removed from their rooms?
2. The night of Stump Sisson's death, the KKK meet in the woods, pledge revenge, and induct how many new Klan members from Ford County?
3. What is Lucien's advice to Jake regarding fear?
4. When the phone rings while Harry Rex and Jake are discussing legal matters on the morning before the trial, what happens?
5. While Jake and Ellen are working on various issues of the case, whom do they invite to join them on the balcony of the law office?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is everyone relieved when Jake declines to question Murphy, the janitor, in cross-examination?
2. Why is Lucien able to draw thousands of black residents from northern Mississippi to Clanton to demonstrate on behalf of Carl Lee?
3. How are the twelve jurors and two alternates sequestered?
4. Just past midnight of the day Dr. Bass was questioned, what does Jake discover when driven to his home due to an emergency?
5. How do Buckley's and Jake's approaches differ?
6. What are some of the changes in perspective the Carl Lee Hailey trial has had on Jake?
7. What happens when Jake requests a change of venue from Judge Noose following the riot and cross-burnings?
8. On Monday, the first morning of the trial, what positions does Jake direct Ellen and Harry Rex, his two assistants, to assume?
9. Shortly after midnight, following the riot in the courthouse square, what do five teams of the KKK do?
10. What happens when Ellen first arrives at Jake's office on the Sunday the National Guard arrives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the symbolism of the Ford County Courthouse. What is it supposed to represent? What does John Grisham use it to reflect? Address what the various characters do there in contrast with that symbolism. Also explore Barry Acker's speculation regarding previous trials.
Essay Topic 2
John Grisham is familiar with various firearms types and their uses, just as he is knowledgeable with the differences in styles and purposes of a Saab and a Ford Bronco. Weapons from several categories are referred to at various points in his tale. Identify the styles of weapons found in his novel and their functions. Examine Grisham's intention in selecting the firearms at key points within the text.
Essay Topic 3
Ellen Roark and Harry Rex perform legal support functions for Jake Brigance. Identify and compare these functions. How are they similar? How are they different? At what times does Jake rely on these legal support services, and when does he operate without them?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)