|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jake feel when a patron in the Coffee Shop notes that the black protesters must frighten the jurors?
2. During the trial on the fifth day, Lucien avoids eye contact with Sisco for what reason?
3. Jake knows Judge Noose will feel how about the National Guard being called in?
4. What is the jury's decision?
5. When a juror is jumped by thugs at the Temple Inn, how is he threatened?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader learn was key to the jury being swayed to finding an innocent by reason of insanity verdict?
2. Upon arrival at the hospital to visit Ellen following the Ku Klux Klan attack, how does her father describe to Jake and Harry Rex the way she incurred injuries to the head requiring thirty-nine stitches?
3. What transpires when Clyde Acker walks for a cola at the Temple Inn?
4. When the case is given to the jury, where do the members stand?
5. In Chapter 37, how does the consumption or abuse of alcohol come into play?
6. On the second day of the trial, what happens to Gerald Ault, Jake's "ace-in-the-hole"?
7. What transpires as the forty Ku Klux Klansmen arrive to demonstrate at the courthouse where the black protesters held their vigil?
8. What happens on the Saturday morning when "Mickey Mouse" tips Ozzie the Klan plan a multi-state retaliation for the Thursday riot?
9. What transpires when Jake requests a change of venue in chambers on Monday, the first day of court?
10. Why is everyone relieved when Jake declines to question Murphy, the janitor, in cross-examination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is identified at "Mickey Mouse" in the Ku Klux Klan? What has this individual attempted to do secretly? Provide several examples of "Mickey Mouse's" success. When did "Mickey Mouse" fail?
Essay Topic 2
Carl Lee Hailey clearly murdered two men who gang raped his ten-year-old daughter. While he did so in retaliation, it was not in the heat of the moment, but the result of well-planned and orchestrated maneuvering. Why don't Jake and Sheriff Ozzie Walls make make an effort to stop it before it will happen? Why is Deputy Looney, who Carl Lee shoots accidentally in the leg and which is amputated, able to forgive him, much less defend him in court? Why do Klansman in Nettles County believe the victims of the murder got what they deserved, but only retaliate given the racial differences? Explain why Carl Lee is treated and viewed with respect by the deputies, but feared by the other prisoners in the jail? Why does the jury find Carl Lee "not guilty by reason of insanity" when he was not? In delving deeper into these questions, what is the overall theme of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the Coffee Shop and Claude's. Who do they cater to? Who are the key figures related to these establishments? Elaborate on the function they serve in John Grisham's story. When does Jake Brigance patronize them and why?
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)