|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Carl Lee opens a courtroom window with a small balcony and the deputy nods?
2. What does Jake not tell Carla about in his hour long phone conversation with her Sunday, the evening of the day he returns from Memphis with Harry Rex?
3. As the riot erupts, what is each Klansman armed with?
4. What is Clyde Sisco's price?
5. Given the National Guard activity the day prior to the trial opening, Jake advises Ellen he will be forced to renew his plea for change of venue, ask for a mistrial, and then be certain of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. On the second day of the trial, what happens to Gerald Ault, Jake's "ace-in-the-hole"?
2. What happens on the Saturday morning when "Mickey Mouse" tips Ozzie the Klan plan a multi-state retaliation for the Thursday riot?
3. How does Grisham depict Jake's response to the soldier who is seriously injured for protecting him?
4. What happens when Jake requests a change of venue from Judge Noose following the riot and cross-burnings?
5. Upon arrival at the hospital to visit Ellen following the Ku Klux Klan attack, how does her father describe to Jake and Harry Rex the way she incurred injuries to the head requiring thirty-nine stitches?
6. Shortly after midnight, following the riot in the courthouse square, what do five teams of the KKK do?
7. What happens when Ellen first arrives at Jake's office on the Sunday the National Guard arrives?
8. What transpires when Clyde Acker walks for a cola at the Temple Inn?
9. How do Harry Rex's pickup and Jake's Saab reflect more than a matter of taste, but of personality?
10. When the case is given to the jury, where do the members stand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is identified at "Mickey Mouse" in the Ku Klux Klan? What has this individual attempted to do secretly? Provide several examples of "Mickey Mouse's" success. When did "Mickey Mouse" fail?
Essay Topic 2
John Grisham is very elaborate in providing the reader a detailed description of Jake Brigance's historic legal suite, with multiple rooms and a balcony overlooking the courthouse square. He then utilizes this setting throughout the story in relaying Jake's reliance upon it. Analyze Grisham's use of this setting in the novel, and how it pertains to the political, social climate of the story.
Essay Topic 3
It has been said that "A Time to Kill" is a novel and not a history. It shows that all men and women are not treated equally in the legal system. What specifically in John Grisham's novel causes you to examine the ethics of our society?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)