|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the riot erupts, what is each Klansman armed with?
2. On Saturday morning, the day after Jake was shot at, the rumor in Clanton is that the shooters claim to be whom?
3. What is Wanda Womack's position?
4. Despite the urging of his friends, Jake is determined to do what?
5. What question does Jake ask of Ozzie during cross-examination that Buckley wildly objects to and Jake withdraws, but Ozzie has already nodded affirmatively to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is everyone relieved when Jake declines to question Murphy, the janitor, in cross-examination?
2. What happens when Ellen first arrives at Jake's office on the Sunday the National Guard arrives?
3. On Monday, the first morning of the trial, what positions does Jake direct Ellen and Harry Rex, his two assistants, to assume?
4. How is Jake's closing argument indicative of it being his finest hour?
5. On the second day of the trial, what happens to Gerald Ault, Jake's "ace-in-the-hole"?
6. What are some of the changes in perspective the Carl Lee Hailey trial has had on Jake?
7. What issues did Lucien face in bringing thousands of black protesters to Clanton?
8. What does Jake do on the balcony of his office after he returns from the Coffee Shop on the day the jurors deliver their verdict?
9. Why is Lucien able to draw thousands of black residents from northern Mississippi to Clanton to demonstrate on behalf of Carl Lee?
10. What transpires as the forty Ku Klux Klansmen arrive to demonstrate at the courthouse where the black protesters held their vigil?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Freddie Cobb arrives at the Ku Klux Klan meeting in Nettles County, he attempts to gain their help in retaliation for his brother's murder. How do Klan members view Billy Ray's murder? How will they accomplish this? What is the outcome of their peaceful demonstration outside the Clanton Courthouse? Examine the KKK's actions in this story, as well as the consequences.
Essay Topic 2
It has been said that "A Time to Kill" is a novel and not a history. It shows that all men and women are not treated equally in the legal system. What specifically in John Grisham's novel causes you to examine the ethics of our society?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the Coffee Shop and Claude's. Who do they cater to? Who are the key figures related to these establishments? Elaborate on the function they serve in John Grisham's story. When does Jake Brigance patronize them and why?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)