|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who aids Ellen following her plight?
2. Ellen has done a masterful job of the M'Naghten brief, summarizing what into seventy-five pages directly applicable to the Hailey trial?
3. When Jake objects as Lucien broaches the topic of buying a jury, the latter reminds him of what?
4. Back at his office, what does Jake drink while his friends drink margaritas?
5. Ellen has done a fine job preparing the doctor, including a twenty-five-page dialogue of the questions Jake will ask, and the answers for whom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John Grisham presents a dark story. A 10-year-old girl is beaten, urinated on, and raped by two drunk, Mississippi rednecks. She endures unreal, subsequent trauma afterward. Her father kills the perpetrators. He is placed on trial for their murders and may be killed. A "snitch" in the KKK warns local law enforcement of potential attacks, and is himself killed in retribution. A KKK leader is killed with a Molotov cocktail. Others die in Grisham's novel, "A Time to Kill." Explain what the author is referring to by his title.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the way Ozzie Walls performed his duties responsible for the Ford County Sheriff's Department with the manner in which the colonel in charge of the National Guard unit executed his. Consider the number of members and equipment available to each. Address options likely in security of housing and transporting only 14 jury members and the Hailey defense team. Also address lapses in security both within the courthouse and the area outside. What measures should have been taken considering the verdict might have been guilty? Why were potential targets repeatedly exposed? What were the measures taken by Ozzie Walls prior to arrival of National Guard? Who did Barry Acker rely on more?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the Coffee Shop and Claude's. Who do they cater to? Who are the key figures related to these establishments? Elaborate on the function they serve in John Grisham's story. When does Jake Brigance patronize them and why?
This section contains 1,548 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)