|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jake addresses the jury, what does he first apologize for?
2. How does Carla learn about the all-white jurors in the case?
3. Who likely holds the outcome of the Carl Lee trial in the palm of his hand?
4. What does Jake say to the judge after Ozzie explains what has taken place to Noose?
5. Buckley's opening statement runs an hour and a half, and Jake's opening is how long?
Short Essay Questions
1. On the second day of the trial, what happens to Gerald Ault, Jake's "ace-in-the-hole"?
2. How is Jake's closing argument indicative of it being his finest hour?
3. What transpires when Clyde Acker walks for a cola at the Temple Inn?
4. Beyond the cost of a human life and loss for loved ones and associates, what are some of the significant ramifications of Tim Nunley's death?
5. Why is Jake essentially lost in court the day he returned after being shot at?
6. Shortly after midnight, following the riot in the courthouse square, what do five teams of the KKK do?
7. How are the twelve jurors and two alternates sequestered?
8. How do Harry Rex's pickup and Jake's Saab reflect more than a matter of taste, but of personality?
9. How does Grisham depict Jake's response to the soldier who is seriously injured for protecting him?
10. When the case is given to the jury, where do the members stand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story is staged around a murder trial where a number of the key characters are attorneys. The author, John Grisham, is himself an attorney. How does he use his legal expertise in writing "A Time to Kill"? How is it reflected in the depiction of legal maneuvering, selection of the jury, legal and illegal tactics, use of associates for research in preparing for court, courtroom styles, actions in the judge's chambers, and other judicial aspects?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the way Ozzie Walls performed his duties responsible for the Ford County Sheriff's Department with the manner in which the colonel in charge of the National Guard unit executed his. Consider the number of members and equipment available to each. Address options likely in security of housing and transporting only 14 jury members and the Hailey defense team. Also address lapses in security both within the courthouse and the area outside. What measures should have been taken considering the verdict might have been guilty? Why were potential targets repeatedly exposed? What were the measures taken by Ozzie Walls prior to arrival of National Guard? Who did Barry Acker rely on more?
Essay Topic 3
John Grisham presents a dark story. A 10-year-old girl is beaten, urinated on, and raped by two drunk, Mississippi rednecks. She endures unreal, subsequent trauma afterward. Her father kills the perpetrators. He is placed on trial for their murders and may be killed. A "snitch" in the KKK warns local law enforcement of potential attacks, and is himself killed in retribution. A KKK leader is killed with a Molotov cocktail. Others die in Grisham's novel, "A Time to Kill." Explain what the author is referring to by his title.
This section contains 1,184 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)