|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jake learn Wanda Womack lives with?
2. While they await the jury's verdict from Jake's office, what does Lucien confirm as he spins tales regarding his family's heritage?
3. What does Wanda Womack ask the jury panel to consider to convince them to rule not guilty by reason of insanity?
4. Although Jake wished he had not worn ostrich skin boots, Lucien argues what?
5. When Jake seeks a change of venue from Judge Noose and is told nothing would be done except removing 20 intimidated jurors, Jake learns what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the changes in perspective the Carl Lee Hailey trial has had on Jake?
2. Shortly after midnight, following the riot in the courthouse square, what do five teams of the KKK do?
3. Upon arrival at the hospital to visit Ellen following the Ku Klux Klan attack, how does her father describe to Jake and Harry Rex the way she incurred injuries to the head requiring thirty-nine stitches?
4. In Chapter 37, how does the consumption or abuse of alcohol come into play?
5. Why do the jurors feel more incarcerated than safe?
6. How is Jake's closing argument indicative of it being his finest hour?
7. What offer does Lucien make to Jake regarding the jury that he objects to?
8. What happens when Ellen first arrives at Jake's office on the Sunday the National Guard arrives?
9. Just past midnight of the day Dr. Bass was questioned, what does Jake discover when driven to his home due to an emergency?
10. What happens between Jake and Ellen on the balcony of Jake's office?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the way Ozzie Walls performed his duties responsible for the Ford County Sheriff's Department with the manner in which the colonel in charge of the National Guard unit executed his. Consider the number of members and equipment available to each. Address options likely in security of housing and transporting only 14 jury members and the Hailey defense team. Also address lapses in security both within the courthouse and the area outside. What measures should have been taken considering the verdict might have been guilty? Why were potential targets repeatedly exposed? What were the measures taken by Ozzie Walls prior to arrival of National Guard? Who did Barry Acker rely on more?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of legal scales balancing between right and wrong prevails with Barry Acker. What role does he play? What transpires while at the Temple Inn? As the jury continues in attempting to determine a verdict, what happens to Acker in his effort to achieve a decision? What safety precautions does he take? Elaborate in establishing these and other points in this theme.
Essay Topic 3
When Freddie Cobb arrives at the Ku Klux Klan meeting in Nettles County, he attempts to gain their help in retaliation for his brother's murder. How do Klan members view Billy Ray's murder? How will they accomplish this? What is the outcome of their peaceful demonstration outside the Clanton Courthouse? Examine the KKK's actions in this story, as well as the consequences.
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)