|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Carl Lee aghast when the jury is finally seated?
2. The firebomb that ignites Mississippi KKK Imperial Wizard Stump Sisson is thrown from where?.
3. Looking out a window at the black protesters, Barry Acker realizes a guilty verdict will bring a riot and what will transpire?
4. Who has previously witnessed a KKK march in Clanton?
5. How is the riot quelled?
Short Essay Questions
1. Upon arrival at the hospital to visit Ellen following the Ku Klux Klan attack, how does her father describe to Jake and Harry Rex the way she incurred injuries to the head requiring thirty-nine stitches?
2. How does Grisham depict Jake's response to the soldier who is seriously injured for protecting him?
3. Shortly after midnight, following the riot in the courthouse square, what do five teams of the KKK do?
4. Why is Jake essentially lost in court the day he returned after being shot at?
5. How are the twelve jurors and two alternates sequestered?
6. What happens when Jake requests a change of venue from Judge Noose following the riot and cross-burnings?
7. What offer does Lucien make to Jake regarding the jury that he objects to?
8. What does Jake do on the balcony of his office after he returns from the Coffee Shop on the day the jurors deliver their verdict?
9. What transpires as the forty Ku Klux Klansmen arrive to demonstrate at the courthouse where the black protesters held their vigil?
10. In Chapter 37, how does the consumption or abuse of alcohol come into play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the way Ozzie Walls performed his duties responsible for the Ford County Sheriff's Department with the manner in which the colonel in charge of the National Guard unit executed his. Consider the number of members and equipment available to each. Address options likely in security of housing and transporting only 14 jury members and the Hailey defense team. Also address lapses in security both within the courthouse and the area outside. What measures should have been taken considering the verdict might have been guilty? Why were potential targets repeatedly exposed? What were the measures taken by Ozzie Walls prior to arrival of National Guard? Who did Barry Acker rely on more?
Essay Topic 2
One theme that runs through "A Time to Kill" is deciding between the paths of right and wrong where risks are involved due to influence or threat of the KKK. Examine and compare how it is approached by Judge Noose, jury member Barry Acker, and Jake Brigance.
Essay Topic 3
Once the Ku Klux Klan identifies and kills "Mickey Mouse," they no longer have to worry about being "snitched" on. They now are free to roam and wreak havoc without being reported on. Yet there are signs the KKK plans to permanently leave the county. What are these signs? Why do they not stay when they no longer have a "snitch" amongst the KKK brethren? Are there differences between Ford County from Nettles County that are possibly prompting their departure?
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)