|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the phone rings while Harry Rex and Jake are discussing legal matters on the morning before the trial, what happens?
2. At 5:00 a.m. Harry Rex arrives with biscuit sandwiches sent by Jake's favorite waitress at the Coffee Shop, and he discusses with Jake:
3. How does Carla learn about the all-white jurors in the case?
4. During the night of the second trial date, Stump Sisson dies, bringing the number of deaths related to Tonya's rape to how many?
5. Who do the Northern Mississippi black residents recognize as the single white radical NAACP attorney in their region?
Essay Topic 1
The theme of legal scales balancing between right and wrong prevails with Barry Acker. What role does he play? What transpires while at the Temple Inn? As the jury continues in attempting to determine a verdict, what happens to Acker in his effort to achieve a decision? What safety precautions does he take? Elaborate in establishing these and other points in this theme.
Essay Topic 2
John Grisham presents a dark story. A 10-year-old girl is beaten, urinated on, and raped by two drunk, Mississippi rednecks. She endures unreal, subsequent trauma afterward. Her father kills the perpetrators. He is placed on trial for their murders and may be killed. A "snitch" in the KKK warns local law enforcement of potential attacks, and is himself killed in retribution. A KKK leader is killed with a Molotov cocktail. Others die in Grisham's novel, "A Time to Kill." Explain what the author is referring to by his title.
Essay Topic 3
What type of home do Jake Brigance and his family reside in? Why is it unique? How is Jake able to afford it, given that he also drives a Saab, the only one in the county? Why did Jake select this home? Consider these questions to examine Jake's character.
This section contains 1,559 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)