|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Judge Noose advise the jurors they will be sequestered?
2. Subsequent to Bass's testimony, what does Jake do when the lawyers are summoned to the judge's chambers?
3. Where do Lucien, Harry Rex, and Jake go after talking with Wanda Womack and Mack Loyd Crowell?
4. Why is Lucien furious on the morning of the shooting attempt to kill Jake?
5. After going to the lake with Harry Rex, Jake visits Lucien and discovers what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the twelve jurors and two alternates sequestered?
2. Why is Jake essentially lost in court the day he returned after being shot at?
3. How does Grisham depict Jake's response to the soldier who is seriously injured for protecting him?
4. What issues did Lucien face in bringing thousands of black protesters to Clanton?
5. How do Harry Rex's pickup and Jake's Saab reflect more than a matter of taste, but of personality?
6. How do Buckley's and Jake's approaches differ?
7. On the second day of the trial, what happens to Gerald Ault, Jake's "ace-in-the-hole"?
8. What transpires when Jake requests a change of venue in chambers on Monday, the first day of court?
9. On Monday, the first morning of the trial, what positions does Jake direct Ellen and Harry Rex, his two assistants, to assume?
10. What happens on the Saturday morning when "Mickey Mouse" tips Ozzie the Klan plan a multi-state retaliation for the Thursday riot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Provide examples from the text where John Grisham utilizes the language and culture of the south to place the reader in the small, Mississippi town of Clanton.
Essay Topic 2
When Freddie Cobb arrives at the Ku Klux Klan meeting in Nettles County, he attempts to gain their help in retaliation for his brother's murder. How do Klan members view Billy Ray's murder? How will they accomplish this? What is the outcome of their peaceful demonstration outside the Clanton Courthouse? Examine the KKK's actions in this story, as well as the consequences.
Essay Topic 3
Once the Ku Klux Klan identifies and kills "Mickey Mouse," they no longer have to worry about being "snitched" on. They now are free to roam and wreak havoc without being reported on. Yet there are signs the KKK plans to permanently leave the county. What are these signs? Why do they not stay when they no longer have a "snitch" amongst the KKK brethren? Are there differences between Ford County from Nettles County that are possibly prompting their departure?
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)