|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tonya carrying when she is kidnapped?
2. After Ozzie summons Jake to meet with Lester and Carl Lee and Carl Lee rehires Jake because his brother "wants me to," what does Carl Lee say?
3. After Jake wakes with a bad hangover, what does he do?
4. How does Ozzie get the bomb defused?
5. Where is Tonya seated in the interview with Jake and the Hailey family?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the key characters depicted as selfish and self-centered in Chapter 24?
2. Why does a convoy of buses enter Clanton?
3. What sort of a lawman is Sheriff Ozzie Walls?
4. What is Ellen Roark's response to Jake when he quizzes her on her credentials?
5. What are some Jake's unethical practices?
6. In what ways does John Grisham show that Jake relishes being back on center stage once he is Carl Lee's attorney?
7. Why does the name of Clyde Sisco cause some stir during Jake's jury strategy team session in Chapter 29?
8. How does K.T. "Cat" Bruster's view of truth and justice compare with Carl Lee's?
9. In Chapter 10, what does Lucien advise Jake his best courses of action are in Carl Lee's defense?
10. What sort of a lawyer is Jake Brigance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Once the Ku Klux Klan identifies and kills "Mickey Mouse," they no longer have to worry about being "snitched" on. They now are free to roam and wreak havoc without being reported on. Yet there are signs the KKK plans to permanently leave the county. What are these signs? Why do they not stay when they no longer have a "snitch" amongst the KKK brethren? Are there differences between Ford County from Nettles County that are possibly prompting their departure?
Essay Topic 2
What type of home do Jake Brigance and his family reside in? Why is it unique? How is Jake able to afford it, given that he also drives a Saab, the only one in the county? Why did Jake select this home? Consider these questions to examine Jake's character.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the way Ozzie Walls performed his duties responsible for the Ford County Sheriff's Department with the manner in which the colonel in charge of the National Guard unit executed his. Consider the number of members and equipment available to each. Address options likely in security of housing and transporting only 14 jury members and the Hailey defense team. Also address lapses in security both within the courthouse and the area outside. What measures should have been taken considering the verdict might have been guilty? Why were potential targets repeatedly exposed? What were the measures taken by Ozzie Walls prior to arrival of National Guard? Who did Barry Acker rely on more?
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)