|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did K.T. "Cat" Bruster lose his eye?
2. The Sunday after Jake gets fired, he and Carla skip church and take Hanna where?
3. Why does Lucien advise Jake he needs to seek a change of venue?
4. Norman Reinfeld, the thirty-year-old Jewish supervisor of the NAACP defense team, graduated from which law school?
5. When does Agee agree to get the "love offering" funds for the Hailey family to Gwen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John Grisham depict the events taking place in Clanton as carnival-like?
2. What illegal methods does Ozzie employ to gain information from the suspected bomber?
3. How does K.T. "Cat" Bruster's view of truth and justice compare with Carl Lee's?
4. Why is Carl Lee reluctant to rehire Jake?
5. What transpires between Carl Lee and Deputy Looney while the latter is still hospitalized, and how does Jake respond?
6. What sort of an attorney is Harry Rex Vonner?
7. Why does the name of Clyde Sisco cause some stir during Jake's jury strategy team session in Chapter 29?
8. Who does Billy Ray Cobb's brother, Freddie, approach in seeking revenge, and what is the result?
9. What is a significant plot development in Chapter 5?
10. In what ways does John Grisham show that Jake relishes being back on center stage once he is Carl Lee's attorney?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ellen Roark and Harry Rex perform legal support functions for Jake Brigance. Identify and compare these functions. How are they similar? How are they different? At what times does Jake rely on these legal support services, and when does he operate without them?
Essay Topic 2
Once the Ku Klux Klan identifies and kills "Mickey Mouse," they no longer have to worry about being "snitched" on. They now are free to roam and wreak havoc without being reported on. Yet there are signs the KKK plans to permanently leave the county. What are these signs? Why do they not stay when they no longer have a "snitch" amongst the KKK brethren? Are there differences between Ford County from Nettles County that are possibly prompting their departure?
Essay Topic 3
Who is identified at "Mickey Mouse" in the Ku Klux Klan? What has this individual attempted to do secretly? Provide several examples of "Mickey Mouse's" success. When did "Mickey Mouse" fail?
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)