|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jake's favorite waitress at the Coffee Shop?
2. Why does Carl Lee fire Jake?
3. During their picnic, what is Carl Lee's response when Gwen questions him about his commitment to bring in a few hundred dollars to make ends meet?
4. During one phone call to Carla shortly prior to the trial, whose situation is Jake careful not to bring up?
5. Where did K.T. "Cat" Bruster lose his eye?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sort of a lawman is Sheriff Ozzie Walls?
2. What is Ellen Roark's response to Jake when he quizzes her on her credentials?
3. Why does John Grisham open his story with such horrific detail of the crime?
4. Why does a convoy of buses enter Clanton?
5. What sort of an attorney is Harry Rex Vonner?
6. Why does Judge Noose impose a gag order?
7. How does K.T. "Cat" Bruster's view of truth and justice compare with Carl Lee's?
8. How does Rufus Buckley make use of the illegally-obtained jury list?
9. Despite Jake's seeking a change of venue again, what are the reasons Jake would prefer the trial continue in Ford County?
10. What sort of relationship exists between Sheriff Ozzie Walls and Jake Brigance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Once the Ku Klux Klan identifies and kills "Mickey Mouse," they no longer have to worry about being "snitched" on. They now are free to roam and wreak havoc without being reported on. Yet there are signs the KKK plans to permanently leave the county. What are these signs? Why do they not stay when they no longer have a "snitch" amongst the KKK brethren? Are there differences between Ford County from Nettles County that are possibly prompting their departure?
Essay Topic 2
Who is identified at "Mickey Mouse" in the Ku Klux Klan? What has this individual attempted to do secretly? Provide several examples of "Mickey Mouse's" success. When did "Mickey Mouse" fail?
Essay Topic 3
When Freddie Cobb arrives at the Ku Klux Klan meeting in Nettles County, he attempts to gain their help in retaliation for his brother's murder. How do Klan members view Billy Ray's murder? How will they accomplish this? What is the outcome of their peaceful demonstration outside the Clanton Courthouse? Examine the KKK's actions in this story, as well as the consequences.
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)