Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Tonya seated in the interview with Jake and the Hailey family?
2. Where is Carl Lee seated during the change of venue hearing?
3. Jake's friend Harry Rex Vonner tells him the grand jury voted how on the Hailey indictment?
4. When does Agee agree to get the "love offering" funds for the Hailey family to Gwen?
5. When Jake Brigance confides in Sheriff Walls that Carl Lee Hailey may be planning the murder of Cobb and Willard, what do they speculate about how they might feel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does K.T. "Cat" Bruster's view of truth and justice compare with Carl Lee's?
2. What sort of an attorney is Harry Rex Vonner?
3. What transpires between Carl Lee and Deputy Looney while the latter is still hospitalized, and how does Jake respond?
4. How do Harry Rex's pickup and Jake's Saab reflect more than a matter of taste, but of personality?
5. What happens when Jake requests a change of venue from Judge Noose following the riot and cross-burnings?
6. Upon arrival at the hospital to visit Ellen following the Ku Klux Klan attack, how does her father describe to Jake and Harry Rex the way she incurred injuries to the head requiring thirty-nine stitches?
7. Why does John Grisham open his story with such horrific detail of the crime?
8. What happens between Jake and Ellen on the balcony of Jake's office?
9. What are some of the changes in perspective the Carl Lee Hailey trial has had on Jake?
10. How does John Grisham depict the events taking place in Clanton as carnival-like?
Essay Topic 1
What type of home do Jake Brigance and his family reside in? Why is it unique? How is Jake able to afford it, given that he also drives a Saab, the only one in the county? Why did Jake select this home? Consider these questions to examine Jake's character.
Essay Topic 2
Once the Ku Klux Klan identifies and kills "Mickey Mouse," they no longer have to worry about being "snitched" on. They now are free to roam and wreak havoc without being reported on. Yet there are signs the KKK plans to permanently leave the county. What are these signs? Why do they not stay when they no longer have a "snitch" amongst the KKK brethren? Are there differences between Ford County from Nettles County that are possibly prompting their departure?
Essay Topic 3
One theme that runs through "A Time to Kill" is deciding between the paths of right and wrong where risks are involved due to influence or threat of the KKK. Examine and compare how it is approached by Judge Noose, jury member Barry Acker, and Jake Brigance.
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)