|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the city's largest black church, with NAACP officials and Gwen Hailey at his side, who announces the Carl Lee Hailey defense fund?
2. Who begs Sheriff Ozzie Walls to reopen the local "tonks"?
3. After being threatened by Marsharfsky, Jake does what?
4. The Sunday after Jake gets fired, he and Carla skip church and take Hanna where?
5. Carla and Jake, raised as Baptist and Methodist respectively, have agreed to become what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the name of Clyde Sisco cause some stir during Jake's jury strategy team session in Chapter 29?
2. How does John Grisham depict the events taking place in Clanton as carnival-like?
3. What is Ellen Roark's response to Jake when he quizzes her on her credentials?
4. What illegal methods does Ozzie employ to gain information from the suspected bomber?
5. In what ways does John Grisham show that Jake relishes being back on center stage once he is Carl Lee's attorney?
6. Why does John Grisham open his story with such horrific detail of the crime?
7. Why does a convoy of buses enter Clanton?
8. What is the trajectory of Judge Omar Noose's career that has led him to his current status?
9. What does the reader learn about the Ford County District Attorney in Chapter 7?
10. What observations on the part of Jake's secretary irritate him to the point he advises her to keep quiet or quit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the symbolism of the Ford County Courthouse. What is it supposed to represent? What does John Grisham use it to reflect? Address what the various characters do there in contrast with that symbolism. Also explore Barry Acker's speculation regarding previous trials.
Essay Topic 2
What type of home do Jake Brigance and his family reside in? Why is it unique? How is Jake able to afford it, given that he also drives a Saab, the only one in the county? Why did Jake select this home? Consider these questions to examine Jake's character.
Essay Topic 3
Ellen Roark and Harry Rex perform legal support functions for Jake Brigance. Identify and compare these functions. How are they similar? How are they different? At what times does Jake rely on these legal support services, and when does he operate without them?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)