|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the day before Carl Lee's preliminary hearing, Jake, knowing the grand jurors are not yet selected and will likely see this news broadcast on TV that evening, reminds interviewers of what?
2. What are the six capital defense attorneys of the NAACP known as?
3. How long does the preliminary hearing for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard last?
4. After Ozzie summons Jake to meet with Lester and Carl Lee and Carl Lee rehires Jake because his brother "wants me to," what does Carl Lee say?
5. The Hailey indictment is not mentioned on TV until a brief 10:00 p.m. news segment, so what is Jake's response?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a significant plot development in Chapter 5?
2. Why does Judge Noose impose a gag order?
3. What do readers learn about Jake Brigance in Chapter 8?
4. What illegal methods does Ozzie employ to gain information from the suspected bomber?
5. What transpires between Carl Lee and Deputy Looney while the latter is still hospitalized, and how does Jake respond?
6. What sort of a lawyer is Jake Brigance?
7. What sort of an attorney is Harry Rex Vonner?
8. What observations on the part of Jake's secretary irritate him to the point he advises her to keep quiet or quit?
9. What sort of relationship exists between Sheriff Ozzie Walls and Jake Brigance?
10. What is the trajectory of Judge Omar Noose's career that has led him to his current status?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John Grisham presents a dark story. A 10-year-old girl is beaten, urinated on, and raped by two drunk, Mississippi rednecks. She endures unreal, subsequent trauma afterward. Her father kills the perpetrators. He is placed on trial for their murders and may be killed. A "snitch" in the KKK warns local law enforcement of potential attacks, and is himself killed in retribution. A KKK leader is killed with a Molotov cocktail. Others die in Grisham's novel, "A Time to Kill." Explain what the author is referring to by his title.
Essay Topic 2
The story is staged around a murder trial where a number of the key characters are attorneys. The author, John Grisham, is himself an attorney. How does he use his legal expertise in writing "A Time to Kill"? How is it reflected in the depiction of legal maneuvering, selection of the jury, legal and illegal tactics, use of associates for research in preparing for court, courtroom styles, actions in the judge's chambers, and other judicial aspects?
Essay Topic 3
Ellen Roark and Harry Rex perform legal support functions for Jake Brigance. Identify and compare these functions. How are they similar? How are they different? At what times does Jake rely on these legal support services, and when does he operate without them?
This section contains 1,206 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)