|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jake's view of insurance companies and their lawyers?
2. When interviewed by TV journalists the day before Carl Lee's preliminary hearing, what does Jake tell them a Mississippi jury has as options when trying capital murder?
3. How old is Tonya?
4. Several days following his being rehired by Carl Lee, Jake is summoned to Lucien's home to meet whom?
5. How many murder trials has Jake Brigance served as the defense counsel prior to the preliminary hearing for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the name of Clyde Sisco cause some stir during Jake's jury strategy team session in Chapter 29?
2. How does K.T. "Cat" Bruster's view of truth and justice compare with Carl Lee's?
3. How does John Grisham depict the events taking place in Clanton as carnival-like?
4. Why does Judge Noose impose a gag order?
5. What sort of an attorney is Harry Rex Vonner?
6. What does the reader learn in the dialogue between Carl Lee Hailey and Jake Brigance in Chapter 4?
7. In what ways does John Grisham show that Jake relishes being back on center stage once he is Carl Lee's attorney?
8. What transpires between Carl Lee and Deputy Looney while the latter is still hospitalized, and how does Jake respond?
9. What is Ellen Roark's response to Jake when he quizzes her on her credentials?
10. How does Rufus Buckley make use of the illegally-obtained jury list?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Freddie Cobb arrives at the Ku Klux Klan meeting in Nettles County, he attempts to gain their help in retaliation for his brother's murder. How do Klan members view Billy Ray's murder? How will they accomplish this? What is the outcome of their peaceful demonstration outside the Clanton Courthouse? Examine the KKK's actions in this story, as well as the consequences.
Essay Topic 2
John Grisham presents a dark story. A 10-year-old girl is beaten, urinated on, and raped by two drunk, Mississippi rednecks. She endures unreal, subsequent trauma afterward. Her father kills the perpetrators. He is placed on trial for their murders and may be killed. A "snitch" in the KKK warns local law enforcement of potential attacks, and is himself killed in retribution. A KKK leader is killed with a Molotov cocktail. Others die in Grisham's novel, "A Time to Kill." Explain what the author is referring to by his title.
Essay Topic 3
Who is identified at "Mickey Mouse" in the Ku Klux Klan? What has this individual attempted to do secretly? Provide several examples of "Mickey Mouse's" success. When did "Mickey Mouse" fail?
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)