|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tonya carrying when she is kidnapped?
2. What is Carla's reply when Jake asks her if she would convict Carl Lee Hailey for murdering Billy Ray Cobb if she were a jury member?
3. What does Tonya, who suffers from endless nightmares and is certain that her attackers are after her, insist on?
4. Since Jake insists he will not be a "gofer" for the NAACP, what is the response when Carl Lee asks what will happen to the $20,000 defense fund if he uses only Jake?
5. What does Jake Brigance drive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a significant plot development in Chapter 5?
2. How does K.T. "Cat" Bruster's view of truth and justice compare with Carl Lee's?
3. What does the reader learn about the Ford County District Attorney in Chapter 7?
4. How does Jake skillfully manipulate the media immediately following Carl Lee's arraignment?
5. What does the reader learn in the dialogue between Carl Lee Hailey and Jake Brigance in Chapter 4?
6. In what ways does John Grisham show that Jake relishes being back on center stage once he is Carl Lee's attorney?
7. What are some Jake's unethical practices?
8. What illegal methods does Ozzie employ to gain information from the suspected bomber?
9. How does John Grisham depict the events taking place in Clanton as carnival-like?
10. What observations on the part of Jake's secretary irritate him to the point he advises her to keep quiet or quit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carl Lee Hailey clearly murdered two men who gang raped his ten-year-old daughter. While he did so in retaliation, it was not in the heat of the moment, but the result of well-planned and orchestrated maneuvering. Why don't Jake and Sheriff Ozzie Walls make make an effort to stop it before it will happen? Why is Deputy Looney, who Carl Lee shoots accidentally in the leg and which is amputated, able to forgive him, much less defend him in court? Why do Klansman in Nettles County believe the victims of the murder got what they deserved, but only retaliate given the racial differences? Explain why Carl Lee is treated and viewed with respect by the deputies, but feared by the other prisoners in the jail? Why does the jury find Carl Lee "not guilty by reason of insanity" when he was not? In delving deeper into these questions, what is the overall theme of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What type of home do Jake Brigance and his family reside in? Why is it unique? How is Jake able to afford it, given that he also drives a Saab, the only one in the county? Why did Jake select this home? Consider these questions to examine Jake's character.
Essay Topic 3
Provide examples from the text where John Grisham utilizes the language and culture of the south to place the reader in the small, Mississippi town of Clanton.
This section contains 1,327 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)