|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reaction to the press conference?
2. How does Ozzie get the bomb defused?
3. What does Sheriff Walls testify during the change of venue hearing?
4. How much has Jake been paid by Lester Hailey prior to the indictment?
5. What is Jake's view of insurance companies and their lawyers?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 10, what does Lucien advise Jake his best courses of action are in Carl Lee's defense?
2. What illegal methods does Ozzie employ to gain information from the suspected bomber?
3. What does the reader learn about the Ford County District Attorney in Chapter 7?
4. What is the trajectory of Judge Omar Noose's career that has led him to his current status?
5. Why is Carl Lee reluctant to rehire Jake?
6. Why does Judge Noose impose a gag order?
7. Why does a convoy of buses enter Clanton?
8. What is a significant plot development in Chapter 5?
9. How does K.T. "Cat" Bruster's view of truth and justice compare with Carl Lee's?
10. What observations on the part of Jake's secretary irritate him to the point he advises her to keep quiet or quit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One theme that runs through "A Time to Kill" is deciding between the paths of right and wrong where risks are involved due to influence or threat of the KKK. Examine and compare how it is approached by Judge Noose, jury member Barry Acker, and Jake Brigance.
Essay Topic 2
When Freddie Cobb arrives at the Ku Klux Klan meeting in Nettles County, he attempts to gain their help in retaliation for his brother's murder. How do Klan members view Billy Ray's murder? How will they accomplish this? What is the outcome of their peaceful demonstration outside the Clanton Courthouse? Examine the KKK's actions in this story, as well as the consequences.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the Coffee Shop and Claude's. Who do they cater to? Who are the key figures related to these establishments? Elaborate on the function they serve in John Grisham's story. When does Jake Brigance patronize them and why?
This section contains 1,191 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)