|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jake Brigance advises deputies that Billy Ray Cobb could receive life plus 40 years if he is convicted on all charges, and could be paroled how soon if Tonya lives?
2. On the morning of the day he first meets Ellen, what is it Jake recalls Carla could tell during their phone conversation the night before?
3. What does Ozzie do after he is tipped off three minutes after midnight on July 12 that the Brigance home is to be blown up within three hours?
4. After being threatened by Marsharfsky, Jake does what?
5. How do the members of the council of black ministers arrive for strategic planning regarding the NAACP defense of Carl Lee?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the efforts made in Clanton in preparation for the trial?
2. What are some Jake's unethical practices?
3. What is a significant plot development in Chapter 5?
4. In Chapter 10, what does Lucien advise Jake his best courses of action are in Carl Lee's defense?
5. What do readers learn about Jake Brigance in Chapter 8?
6. Why does the name of Clyde Sisco cause some stir during Jake's jury strategy team session in Chapter 29?
7. Despite Jake's seeking a change of venue again, what are the reasons Jake would prefer the trial continue in Ford County?
8. What sort of an attorney is Harry Rex Vonner?
9. What transpires between Carl Lee and Deputy Looney while the latter is still hospitalized, and how does Jake respond?
10. Why does Judge Noose impose a gag order?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John Grisham presents a dark story. A 10-year-old girl is beaten, urinated on, and raped by two drunk, Mississippi rednecks. She endures unreal, subsequent trauma afterward. Her father kills the perpetrators. He is placed on trial for their murders and may be killed. A "snitch" in the KKK warns local law enforcement of potential attacks, and is himself killed in retribution. A KKK leader is killed with a Molotov cocktail. Others die in Grisham's novel, "A Time to Kill." Explain what the author is referring to by his title.
Essay Topic 2
Provide examples from the text where John Grisham utilizes the language and culture of the south to place the reader in the small, Mississippi town of Clanton.
Essay Topic 3
Ellen Roark and Harry Rex perform legal support functions for Jake Brigance. Identify and compare these functions. How are they similar? How are they different? At what times does Jake rely on these legal support services, and when does he operate without them?
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)