|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jake Brigance accustomed to doing on his office balcony?
2. What is Lester's local girlfriend's name, and how many children do they have?
3. What is the temperature at Reverend Agee's rally?
4. After Jake tells Ethel to shut up or quit when she informs him about his $4,000 in unpaid bills, less than $1,900 in the bank, and his failure to see clients or drop off promised files, what does she do?
5. Several days following his being rehired by Carl Lee, Jake is summoned to Lucien's home to meet whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the trajectory of Judge Omar Noose's career that has led him to his current status?
2. What sort of a lawman is Sheriff Ozzie Walls?
3. How does Rufus Buckley make use of the illegally-obtained jury list?
4. How does John Grisham depict the events taking place in Clanton as carnival-like?
5. In what ways does John Grisham show that Jake relishes being back on center stage once he is Carl Lee's attorney?
6. Who does Billy Ray Cobb's brother, Freddie, approach in seeking revenge, and what is the result?
7. Why is Carl Lee reluctant to rehire Jake?
8. What is a significant plot development in Chapter 5?
9. What sort of a lawyer is Jake Brigance?
10. What are the positions taken by Jake and Carla when he suggests he will contact Lester, Carl Lee's brother, after the latter fires him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John Grisham presents a dark story. A 10-year-old girl is beaten, urinated on, and raped by two drunk, Mississippi rednecks. She endures unreal, subsequent trauma afterward. Her father kills the perpetrators. He is placed on trial for their murders and may be killed. A "snitch" in the KKK warns local law enforcement of potential attacks, and is himself killed in retribution. A KKK leader is killed with a Molotov cocktail. Others die in Grisham's novel, "A Time to Kill." Explain what the author is referring to by his title.
Essay Topic 2
One theme that runs through "A Time to Kill" is deciding between the paths of right and wrong where risks are involved due to influence or threat of the KKK. Examine and compare how it is approached by Judge Noose, jury member Barry Acker, and Jake Brigance.
Essay Topic 3
Once the Ku Klux Klan identifies and kills "Mickey Mouse," they no longer have to worry about being "snitched" on. They now are free to roam and wreak havoc without being reported on. Yet there are signs the KKK plans to permanently leave the county. What are these signs? Why do they not stay when they no longer have a "snitch" amongst the KKK brethren? Are there differences between Ford County from Nettles County that are possibly prompting their departure?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)