|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lester tells Carl Lee what when he visits his cell?
2. What are the six capital defense attorneys of the NAACP known as?
3. When Bo Marsharfsky calls requesting Jake to be his local associate, what is his response?
4. When Jake Brigance confides in Sheriff Walls that Carl Lee Hailey may be planning the murder of Cobb and Willard, what do they speculate about how they might feel?
5. Lester Hailey has driven to Clanton from where?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jake skillfully manipulate the media immediately following Carl Lee's arraignment?
2. What are the positions taken by Jake and Carla when he suggests he will contact Lester, Carl Lee's brother, after the latter fires him?
3. What does the reader learn in the dialogue between Carl Lee Hailey and Jake Brigance in Chapter 4?
4. Why does the name of Clyde Sisco cause some stir during Jake's jury strategy team session in Chapter 29?
5. Why is Carl Lee reluctant to rehire Jake?
6. What sort of relationship exists between Sheriff Ozzie Walls and Jake Brigance?
7. What is a significant plot development in Chapter 5?
8. In Chapter 10, what does Lucien advise Jake his best courses of action are in Carl Lee's defense?
9. What observations on the part of Jake's secretary irritate him to the point he advises her to keep quiet or quit?
10. How does K.T. "Cat" Bruster's view of truth and justice compare with Carl Lee's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is identified at "Mickey Mouse" in the Ku Klux Klan? What has this individual attempted to do secretly? Provide several examples of "Mickey Mouse's" success. When did "Mickey Mouse" fail?
Essay Topic 2
Provide examples from the text where John Grisham utilizes the language and culture of the south to place the reader in the small, Mississippi town of Clanton.
Essay Topic 3
Once the Ku Klux Klan identifies and kills "Mickey Mouse," they no longer have to worry about being "snitched" on. They now are free to roam and wreak havoc without being reported on. Yet there are signs the KKK plans to permanently leave the county. What are these signs? Why do they not stay when they no longer have a "snitch" amongst the KKK brethren? Are there differences between Ford County from Nettles County that are possibly prompting their departure?
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)