|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the temperature at Reverend Agee's rally?
2. Why does Jake threaten to fire his secretary Ethel?
3. How does Ozzie determine what is in the ticking case the stranger has brought to the front porch of of Jake's home?
4. Why does Carl Lee fire Jake?
5. Lester tells Carl Lee what when he visits his cell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the efforts made in Clanton in preparation for the trial?
2. What is a significant plot development in Chapter 5?
3. In Chapter 10, what does Lucien advise Jake his best courses of action are in Carl Lee's defense?
4. In what ways does John Grisham show that Jake relishes being back on center stage once he is Carl Lee's attorney?
5. What does the reader learn in the dialogue between Carl Lee Hailey and Jake Brigance in Chapter 4?
6. Why does Judge Noose impose a gag order?
7. What does the reader learn about the Ford County District Attorney in Chapter 7?
8. Why does a convoy of buses enter Clanton?
9. How does John Grisham depict the events taking place in Clanton as carnival-like?
10. What is Ellen Roark's response to Jake when he quizzes her on her credentials?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Once the Ku Klux Klan identifies and kills "Mickey Mouse," they no longer have to worry about being "snitched" on. They now are free to roam and wreak havoc without being reported on. Yet there are signs the KKK plans to permanently leave the county. What are these signs? Why do they not stay when they no longer have a "snitch" amongst the KKK brethren? Are there differences between Ford County from Nettles County that are possibly prompting their departure?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the symbolism of the Ford County Courthouse. What is it supposed to represent? What does John Grisham use it to reflect? Address what the various characters do there in contrast with that symbolism. Also explore Barry Acker's speculation regarding previous trials.
Essay Topic 3
John Grisham is familiar with various firearms types and their uses, just as he is knowledgeable with the differences in styles and purposes of a Saab and a Ford Bronco. Weapons from several categories are referred to at various points in his tale. Identify the styles of weapons found in his novel and their functions. Examine Grisham's intention in selecting the firearms at key points within the text.
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)