Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Tonya seated in the interview with Jake and the Hailey family?
2. Where is Carl Lee seated during the change of venue hearing?
3. Jake's friend Harry Rex Vonner tells him the grand jury voted how on the Hailey indictment?
4. When does Agee agree to get the "love offering" funds for the Hailey family to Gwen?
5. When Jake Brigance confides in Sheriff Walls that Carl Lee Hailey may be planning the murder of Cobb and Willard, what do they speculate about how they might feel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does K.T. "Cat" Bruster's view of truth and justice compare with Carl Lee's?
2. What sort of an attorney is Harry Rex Vonner?
3. What transpires between Carl Lee and Deputy Looney while the latter is still hospitalized, and how does Jake respond?
4. How do Harry Rex's pickup and Jake's Saab reflect more than a matter of taste, but of personality?
5. What happens when Jake requests a change of venue from Judge Noose following the riot and cross-burnings?
6. Upon arrival at the hospital to visit Ellen following the Ku Klux Klan attack, how does her father describe to Jake and Harry Rex the way she incurred injuries to the head requiring thirty-nine stitches?
7. Why does John Grisham open his story with such horrific detail of the crime?
8. What happens between Jake and Ellen on the balcony of Jake's office?
9. What are some of the changes in perspective the Carl Lee Hailey trial has had on Jake?
10. How does John Grisham depict the events taking place in Clanton as carnival-like?
Essay Topic 1
Compare the way Ozzie Walls performed his duties responsible for the Ford County Sheriff's Department with the manner in which the colonel in charge of the National Guard unit executed his. Consider the number of members and equipment available to each. Address options likely in security of housing and transporting only 14 jury members and the Hailey defense team. Also address lapses in security both within the courthouse and the area outside. What measures should have been taken considering the verdict might have been guilty? Why were potential targets repeatedly exposed? What were the measures taken by Ozzie Walls prior to arrival of National Guard? Who did Barry Acker rely on more?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of alcohol abuse runs throughout "A Time to Kill." It begins in the first chapter, is interwoven throughout the story, and is summarized in the last chapter as to how key characters will approach it. Several of them are or have been abusers of alcohol in the past, and are now. Some are progressing as the trial continues. The defense team retreats to alcohol routinely for different reasons. Others are resorting to alcohol at critical times. Examine these aspects and how John Grisham interweaves the theme of alcohol abuse through the story.
Essay Topic 3
Provide examples from the text where John Grisham utilizes the language and culture of the south to place the reader in the small, Mississippi town of Clanton.
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)