|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Tonya seated in the interview with Jake and the Hailey family?
2. Days before the trial, Gwen Hailey calls Jake and informs him she is behind on house payments, the utilities might be shut off, and has only received how much from the church council?
3. What is the temperature at Reverend Agee's rally?
4. What does Carl Lee Hailey feel his chances are, now that he has been arrested and charged with two counts of murder?
5. Why does Carl Lee fire Jake?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jake skillfully manipulate the media immediately following Carl Lee's arraignment?
2. Why does the name of Clyde Sisco cause some stir during Jake's jury strategy team session in Chapter 29?
3. How does K.T. "Cat" Bruster's view of truth and justice compare with Carl Lee's?
4. How does John Grisham depict the events taking place in Clanton as carnival-like?
5. What observations on the part of Jake's secretary irritate him to the point he advises her to keep quiet or quit?
6. Why does Judge Noose impose a gag order?
7. What transpires between Carl Lee and Deputy Looney while the latter is still hospitalized, and how does Jake respond?
8. What is the trajectory of Judge Omar Noose's career that has led him to his current status?
9. What sort of relationship exists between Sheriff Ozzie Walls and Jake Brigance?
10. Why is Carl Lee reluctant to rehire Jake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is identified at "Mickey Mouse" in the Ku Klux Klan? What has this individual attempted to do secretly? Provide several examples of "Mickey Mouse's" success. When did "Mickey Mouse" fail?
Essay Topic 2
Once the Ku Klux Klan identifies and kills "Mickey Mouse," they no longer have to worry about being "snitched" on. They now are free to roam and wreak havoc without being reported on. Yet there are signs the KKK plans to permanently leave the county. What are these signs? Why do they not stay when they no longer have a "snitch" amongst the KKK brethren? Are there differences between Ford County from Nettles County that are possibly prompting their departure?
Essay Topic 3
John Grisham is familiar with various firearms types and their uses, just as he is knowledgeable with the differences in styles and purposes of a Saab and a Ford Bronco. Weapons from several categories are referred to at various points in his tale. Identify the styles of weapons found in his novel and their functions. Examine Grisham's intention in selecting the firearms at key points within the text.
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)