|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Jake tells Ethel to shut up or quit when she informs him about his $4,000 in unpaid bills, less than $1,900 in the bank, and his failure to see clients or drop off promised files, what does she do?
2. Why does Carl Lee fire Jake?
3. On the morning of the day he first meets Ellen, what is it Jake recalls Carla could tell during their phone conversation the night before?
4. How have Lucien and Harry Rex advised Jake regarding selection of women for the jury?
5. What does Tonya, who suffers from endless nightmares and is certain that her attackers are after her, insist on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Billy Ray Cobb's brother, Freddie, approach in seeking revenge, and what is the result?
2. What does the reader learn about the Ford County District Attorney in Chapter 7?
3. Why does Judge Noose impose a gag order?
4. What is the trajectory of Judge Omar Noose's career that has led him to his current status?
5. How are the key characters depicted as selfish and self-centered in Chapter 24?
6. In Chapter 10, what does Lucien advise Jake his best courses of action are in Carl Lee's defense?
7. What does the reader learn in the dialogue between Carl Lee Hailey and Jake Brigance in Chapter 4?
8. Why does John Grisham open his story with such horrific detail of the crime?
9. What are some of the efforts made in Clanton in preparation for the trial?
10. What is Ellen Roark's response to Jake when he quizzes her on her credentials?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carl Lee Hailey clearly murdered two men who gang raped his ten-year-old daughter. While he did so in retaliation, it was not in the heat of the moment, but the result of well-planned and orchestrated maneuvering. Why don't Jake and Sheriff Ozzie Walls make make an effort to stop it before it will happen? Why is Deputy Looney, who Carl Lee shoots accidentally in the leg and which is amputated, able to forgive him, much less defend him in court? Why do Klansman in Nettles County believe the victims of the murder got what they deserved, but only retaliate given the racial differences? Explain why Carl Lee is treated and viewed with respect by the deputies, but feared by the other prisoners in the jail? Why does the jury find Carl Lee "not guilty by reason of insanity" when he was not? In delving deeper into these questions, what is the overall theme of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
When Freddie Cobb arrives at the Ku Klux Klan meeting in Nettles County, he attempts to gain their help in retaliation for his brother's murder. How do Klan members view Billy Ray's murder? How will they accomplish this? What is the outcome of their peaceful demonstration outside the Clanton Courthouse? Examine the KKK's actions in this story, as well as the consequences.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of legal scales balancing between right and wrong prevails with Barry Acker. What role does he play? What transpires while at the Temple Inn? As the jury continues in attempting to determine a verdict, what happens to Acker in his effort to achieve a decision? What safety precautions does he take? Elaborate in establishing these and other points in this theme.
This section contains 1,395 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)