|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Following Carl Lee's preliminary hearing, what does Jake attempt to do in the interview with New York Times reporter McKittrick?
2. Who has received threatening phone calls both at home and in the office?
3. What is the reaction to the press conference?
4. What does Carl Lee Hailey feel his chances are, now that he has been arrested and charged with two counts of murder?
5. What is Tonya restrained with while being raped?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the positions taken by Jake and Carla when he suggests he will contact Lester, Carl Lee's brother, after the latter fires him?
2. What transpires between Carl Lee and Deputy Looney while the latter is still hospitalized, and how does Jake respond?
3. How are the key characters depicted as selfish and self-centered in Chapter 24?
4. How does K.T. "Cat" Bruster's view of truth and justice compare with Carl Lee's?
5. In what ways does John Grisham show that Jake relishes being back on center stage once he is Carl Lee's attorney?
6. What sort of an attorney is Harry Rex Vonner?
7. Who does Billy Ray Cobb's brother, Freddie, approach in seeking revenge, and what is the result?
8. Why does a convoy of buses enter Clanton?
9. Why does the name of Clyde Sisco cause some stir during Jake's jury strategy team session in Chapter 29?
10. Why does Judge Noose impose a gag order?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ellen Roark and Harry Rex perform legal support functions for Jake Brigance. Identify and compare these functions. How are they similar? How are they different? At what times does Jake rely on these legal support services, and when does he operate without them?
Essay Topic 2
One theme that runs through "A Time to Kill" is deciding between the paths of right and wrong where risks are involved due to influence or threat of the KKK. Examine and compare how it is approached by Judge Noose, jury member Barry Acker, and Jake Brigance.
Essay Topic 3
Once the Ku Klux Klan identifies and kills "Mickey Mouse," they no longer have to worry about being "snitched" on. They now are free to roam and wreak havoc without being reported on. Yet there are signs the KKK plans to permanently leave the county. What are these signs? Why do they not stay when they no longer have a "snitch" amongst the KKK brethren? Are there differences between Ford County from Nettles County that are possibly prompting their departure?
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)