Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Tonya seated in the interview with Jake and the Hailey family?
2. Where is Carl Lee seated during the change of venue hearing?
3. Jake's friend Harry Rex Vonner tells him the grand jury voted how on the Hailey indictment?
4. When does Agee agree to get the "love offering" funds for the Hailey family to Gwen?
5. When Jake Brigance confides in Sheriff Walls that Carl Lee Hailey may be planning the murder of Cobb and Willard, what do they speculate about how they might feel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does K.T. "Cat" Bruster's view of truth and justice compare with Carl Lee's?
2. What sort of an attorney is Harry Rex Vonner?
3. What transpires between Carl Lee and Deputy Looney while the latter is still hospitalized, and how does Jake respond?
4. How do Harry Rex's pickup and Jake's Saab reflect more than a matter of taste, but of personality?
5. What happens when Jake requests a change of venue from Judge Noose following the riot and cross-burnings?
6. Upon arrival at the hospital to visit Ellen following the Ku Klux Klan attack, how does her father describe to Jake and Harry Rex the way she incurred injuries to the head requiring thirty-nine stitches?
7. Why does John Grisham open his story with such horrific detail of the crime?
8. What happens between Jake and Ellen on the balcony of Jake's office?
9. What are some of the changes in perspective the Carl Lee Hailey trial has had on Jake?
10. How does John Grisham depict the events taking place in Clanton as carnival-like?
Essay Topic 1
When Freddie Cobb arrives at the Ku Klux Klan meeting in Nettles County, he attempts to gain their help in retaliation for his brother's murder. How do Klan members view Billy Ray's murder? How will they accomplish this? What is the outcome of their peaceful demonstration outside the Clanton Courthouse? Examine the KKK's actions in this story, as well as the consequences.
Essay Topic 2
Provide examples from the text where John Grisham utilizes the language and culture of the south to place the reader in the small, Mississippi town of Clanton.
Essay Topic 3
John Grisham is familiar with various firearms types and their uses, just as he is knowledgeable with the differences in styles and purposes of a Saab and a Ford Bronco. Weapons from several categories are referred to at various points in his tale. Identify the styles of weapons found in his novel and their functions. Examine Grisham's intention in selecting the firearms at key points within the text.
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)