|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Rufus Buckley's political ambitions lead him to?
2. Where does Ellen sleep after the jury strategy session is over and Jake is followed home by Deputy Nesbit?
3. What is Carla's reply when Jake asks her if she would convict Carl Lee Hailey for murdering Billy Ray Cobb if she were a jury member?
4. Lester Hailey has driven to Clanton from where?
5. Why does Jake decide to stay out of the Coffee Shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Jake requests a change of venue from Judge Noose following the riot and cross-burnings?
2. What is a significant plot development in Chapter 5?
3. What does the reader learn in the dialogue between Carl Lee Hailey and Jake Brigance in Chapter 4?
4. What are some Jake's unethical practices?
5. Why do the jurors feel more incarcerated than safe?
6. What offer does Lucien make to Jake regarding the jury that he objects to?
7. Beyond the cost of a human life and loss for loved ones and associates, what are some of the significant ramifications of Tim Nunley's death?
8. What does the reader learn about the Ford County District Attorney in Chapter 7?
9. When the case is given to the jury, where do the members stand?
10. What transpires as the forty Ku Klux Klansmen arrive to demonstrate at the courthouse where the black protesters held their vigil?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story is staged around a murder trial where a number of the key characters are attorneys. The author, John Grisham, is himself an attorney. How does he use his legal expertise in writing "A Time to Kill"? How is it reflected in the depiction of legal maneuvering, selection of the jury, legal and illegal tactics, use of associates for research in preparing for court, courtroom styles, actions in the judge's chambers, and other judicial aspects?
Essay Topic 2
When Freddie Cobb arrives at the Ku Klux Klan meeting in Nettles County, he attempts to gain their help in retaliation for his brother's murder. How do Klan members view Billy Ray's murder? How will they accomplish this? What is the outcome of their peaceful demonstration outside the Clanton Courthouse? Examine the KKK's actions in this story, as well as the consequences.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the Coffee Shop and Claude's. Who do they cater to? Who are the key figures related to these establishments? Elaborate on the function they serve in John Grisham's story. When does Jake Brigance patronize them and why?
This section contains 2,244 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)