|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On Monday morning, Clanton is in "trial mode" as the Klan is happy having burned down Jake's home and what else?
(a) They sense victory following the exposure of Bass.
(b) They sense victory with Jake not coming to court on Friday.
(c) They sense victoy with the all-white jury.
(d) They sense victory with the attack on Ellen Roark.
2. Looking out a window at the black protesters, Barry Acker realizes a guilty verdict will bring a riot and what will transpire?
(a) They will make it out of town with the help of additional National Guard troops.
(b) They will reach the vans safely.
(c) They will be not be injured.
(d) They will not reach the bus safely.
3. Ellen has done a fine job preparing the doctor, including a twenty-five-page dialogue of the questions Jake will ask, and the answers for whom?
(a) Dr. W. T. Bass, retired psychologist.
(b) Dr. W. T. Bass, retired psychiatrist.
(c) Dr. W. T. Blast, retired pediatrician.
(d) Dr. T. W. Bass, retired podiatrist.
4. Do the jurors and alternates attempt to discuss the case in violation of the judge's instructions?
(a) Yes, in same-sex pairs while roomed at the Temple Inn.
(c) Yes, on the bus enroute to the Temple Inn.
(d) Yes, on a pay-phone in the Temple Inn lobby to family.
5. Who has previously witnessed a KKK march in Clanton?
(a) One march in the very early 60's.
(b) Those alive in the 30's.
(c) Only some very elderly.
(d) No one now alive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lucien's advice to Jake regarding fear?
2. Why does Jake recognize Gerald Ault as a supporter of black people?
3. What is Clyde Sisco's price?
4. When the jury is impaneled, Jake, Harry Rex, and Ellen are in agreement about what?
5. On Friday, day five of the trial, Ozzie and Deputy Nesbit wake Jake before 5:00 a.m. to inform him "Mickey Mouse" has reported what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Buckley's and Jake's approaches differ?
2. What does Jake when the National Guard arrive?
3. Just past midnight of the day Dr. Bass was questioned, what does Jake discover when driven to his home due to an emergency?
4. Why is Lucien able to draw thousands of black residents from northern Mississippi to Clanton to demonstrate on behalf of Carl Lee?
5. On Monday, the first morning of the trial, what positions does Jake direct Ellen and Harry Rex, his two assistants, to assume?
6. What offer does Lucien make to Jake regarding the jury that he objects to?
7. What does the reader learn was key to the jury being swayed to finding an innocent by reason of insanity verdict?
8. Why is everyone relieved when Jake declines to question Murphy, the janitor, in cross-examination?
9. Why do the jurors feel more incarcerated than safe?
10. On the second day of the trial, what happens to Gerald Ault, Jake's "ace-in-the-hole"?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)