|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At 5:00 a.m. Harry Rex arrives with biscuit sandwiches sent by Jake's favorite waitress at the Coffee Shop, and he discusses with Jake:
(a) Ellen Roark's credentials.
(b) His motion for change of venue.
(c) Prospects for a temporary insanity plea.
(d) Potential jurors once again.
2. What questions does Jake ask of Cobb's and Willard's respective mothers during cross-examination?
(a) Has either been convicted of rape?
(b) How many convictions did their sons have respectively?
(c) Jake opted not to cross-examine.
(d) How many other children their sons raped, was Cobb convicted of selling marijuana?
3. What is Clyde Sisco's price?
4. Where does Judge Noose advise the jurors they will be sequestered?
(a) In a motel outside Clanton.
(b) They will be sequestered in the courthouse with National Guard security.
(c) They will not be sequestered, but are not to discuss the case with anyone.
(d) In the Clanton Inn on Main Street.
5. At one point, talk amongst the jurors gradually leads toward a guilty verdict, based essentially on what?
(a) Rape being worthy of life, but not death.
(b) Carl Lee's six days of planning and premeditation.
(c) Carl Lee having used an illegal firearm.
(d) Carl Lee had an option to await the outcome of Cobb's and Willard's trial.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some of the patrons in the Coffee Shop speculate what about a reporter from the Channel 4 News?
2. At noon, when the court assembles and finds the jury has not reached a verdict, the judge advises them to do what?
3. How does Jake feel when a patron in the Coffee Shop notes that the black protesters must frighten the jurors?
4. As the Mississippi Imperial Wizard of the Klan speaks from the podium, there are 40 Klansmen marching at the courthouse and how many black people?
5. Why is Carl Lee aghast when the jury is finally seated?
Short Essay Questions
1. Just past midnight of the day Dr. Bass was questioned, what does Jake discover when driven to his home due to an emergency?
2. When the case is given to the jury, where do the members stand?
3. What are some of the changes in perspective the Carl Lee Hailey trial has had on Jake?
4. What does the reader learn was key to the jury being swayed to finding an innocent by reason of insanity verdict?
5. What transpires when Clyde Acker walks for a cola at the Temple Inn?
6. What happens between Jake and Ellen on the balcony of Jake's office?
7. Why is everyone relieved when Jake declines to question Murphy, the janitor, in cross-examination?
8. Beyond the cost of a human life and loss for loved ones and associates, what are some of the significant ramifications of Tim Nunley's death?
9. Upon arrival at the hospital to visit Ellen following the Ku Klux Klan attack, how does her father describe to Jake and Harry Rex the way she incurred injuries to the head requiring thirty-nine stitches?
10. How do Buckley's and Jake's approaches differ?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)