|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jake not tell Carla about in his hour long phone conversation with her Sunday, the evening of the day he returns from Memphis with Harry Rex?
(a) The house burning.
(b) The attack against Ellen.
(c) That the National Guardsman is paralyzed.
(d) That things look very bad.
2. What question does Jake ask of Ozzie during cross-examination that Buckley wildly objects to and Jake withdraws, but Ozzie has already nodded affirmatively to?
(a) Did either verbally confess prior to death?
(b) Whether Pete Willard signed a confession prior to his death?
(c) Whether either Cobb or Willard signed a confession prior to death?
(d) Did Pete Willard agree to sign a confession for leniency prior to death?
3. How does Deputy Looney describe Carl Lee?
(a) "It was an accident. But he deserves some prison time."
(b) "For what he did, he deserves life."
(c) "He's a hero. Give him a trophy."
(d) "He's a killer. He's worthy of death."
4. As the Mississippi Imperial Wizard of the Klan speaks from the podium, there are 40 Klansmen marching at the courthouse and how many black people?
(a) Black people outnumber the Klan 5-1.
(b) Black people outnumber the Klan 2-1.
(c) Black people outnumber the Klan 15-1.
(d) Black people outnumber the Klan 10-1.
5. Despite the urging of his friends, Jake is determined to do what?
(a) Fly to be with Carla and Hanna.
(b) Stay in town a few days while he has the media in palm of his hands.
(c) Take time off to be by himself to think things out.
(d) Go to see Ellen Roark and Woody Maclenvale.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jake has Ellen focus on Dr. Wilbert Rodeheaver, the state's mental expert, he asks her to center on cases where acquittals resulted because he suspects what?
2. How does Jake feel when a patron in the Coffee Shop notes that the black protesters must frighten the jurors?
3. During the trial on the fifth day, Lucien avoids eye contact with Sisco for what reason?
4. When Lucien gets the opportunity to discuss Sisco's offer with Jake, what does he state the cost will be?
5. Why does Jake recognize Gerald Ault as a supporter of black people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What transpires as the forty Ku Klux Klansmen arrive to demonstrate at the courthouse where the black protesters held their vigil?
2. Beyond the cost of a human life and loss for loved ones and associates, what are some of the significant ramifications of Tim Nunley's death?
3. What happens between Jake and Ellen on the balcony of Jake's office?
4. What issues did Lucien face in bringing thousands of black protesters to Clanton?
5. What happens when Ellen first arrives at Jake's office on the Sunday the National Guard arrives?
6. How do Harry Rex's pickup and Jake's Saab reflect more than a matter of taste, but of personality?
7. Why is Lucien able to draw thousands of black residents from northern Mississippi to Clanton to demonstrate on behalf of Carl Lee?
8. What are some of the changes in perspective the Carl Lee Hailey trial has had on Jake?
9. What transpires when Jake requests a change of venue in chambers on Monday, the first day of court?
10. Why do the jurors feel more incarcerated than safe?
This section contains 1,253 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)