|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the night of the second trial date, Stump Sisson dies, bringing the number of deaths related to Tonya's rape to how many?
2. When the phone rings while Harry Rex and Jake are discussing legal matters on the morning before the trial, what happens?
(a) Jake answers the call and advises the caller the line is tapped.
(b) Jake angrily responds to a hate call and slams the phone down.
(c) Harry Rex humorously deflects a hate call aimed at Jake.
(d) Jake ignores it, allowing it to ring before it finally stops.
3. On the evening before the trial begins, Ellen arrives at Jake's office suite carrying a thick, professional brief regarding the rape admissibility issue and begins to do what?
(a) Provide an overview of the issue.
(b) Make margaritas.
(c) Make copies of the brief.
(d) Make coffee.
4. What is Clyde Sisco's price?
5. Buckley's opening statement runs an hour and a half, and Jake's opening is how long?
(a) Half an hour.
(b) 14 minutes.
(c) One hour.
(d) Three quarters of an hour.
Short Answer Questions
1. At noon, when the court assembles and finds the jury has not reached a verdict, the judge advises them to do what?
2. While Jake and Ellen are working on various issues of the case, whom do they invite to join them on the balcony of the law office?
3. While they await the jury's verdict from Jake's office, what does Lucien confirm as he spins tales regarding his family's heritage?
4. Why is Lucien furious on the morning of the shooting attempt to kill Jake?
5. When the jurors arrive the next morning for further deliberation, how are they taken from the bus to the courthouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the case is given to the jury, where do the members stand?
2. On Monday, the first morning of the trial, what positions does Jake direct Ellen and Harry Rex, his two assistants, to assume?
3. In Chapter 37, how does the consumption or abuse of alcohol come into play?
4. On the second day of the trial, what happens to Gerald Ault, Jake's "ace-in-the-hole"?
5. Upon arrival at the hospital to visit Ellen following the Ku Klux Klan attack, how does her father describe to Jake and Harry Rex the way she incurred injuries to the head requiring thirty-nine stitches?
6. What happens when Ellen first arrives at Jake's office on the Sunday the National Guard arrives?
7. What transpires when Jake requests a change of venue in chambers on Monday, the first day of court?
8. Why is everyone relieved when Jake declines to question Murphy, the janitor, in cross-examination?
9. What happens between Jake and Ellen on the balcony of Jake's office?
10. What happens when Jake requests a change of venue from Judge Noose following the riot and cross-burnings?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)