|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Given the National Guard activity the day prior to the trial opening, Jake advises Ellen he will be forced to renew his plea for change of venue, ask for a mistrial, and then be certain of what?
(a) A fair trial is not being held.
(b) The record shows that the trial is being held in "a three-ring circus."
(c) The trial is being held in violation of Mississippi State Statues.
(d) Judge Noose is clearly not taking an impartial position.
2. What does Jake say to the judge after Ozzie explains what has taken place to Noose?
(a) He will not be in today, he will be drunk by afternoon, and he will be in Saturday.
(b) He will be in this afternoon, not this morning.
(c) He will be in, but not for an hour, as he needs to shower and change.
(d) He will be in as soon as he showers, changes, and the area is secured.
3. Ellen explains that it will be impossible to keep what from the jury?
(a) The M-16 automatic rifle.
(b) The gory pictures of Willard and Cobb's bodies.
(c) The fact that Deputy Looney was shot and lost a leg.
(d) Carl Lee's apologizing to Deputy Looney.
4. When Jake addresses the jury, what does he first apologize for?
(a) Dr. Bass.
(b) His inability to be at court on Friday.
(c) Their having to be sequestered.
(d) His mistakes due to inexperience.
5. When Jake seeks a change of venue from Judge Noose and is told nothing would be done except removing 20 intimidated jurors, Jake learns what?
(a) He can use the refusal to change venue for a mistrial if necessary.
(b) Someone did not get to the judge, but others have been gotten to.
(c) It is going to be a very uphill trial.
(d) Lucien is right, someone got to Judge Noose.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ministers start a parade of black protesters behind a fifteen-foot banner that reads what?
2. Do the jurors and alternates attempt to discuss the case in violation of the judge's instructions?
3. How is the riot quelled?
4. Why is Carl Lee aghast when the jury is finally seated?
5. On Saturday morning, the day after Jake was shot at, the rumor in Clanton is that the shooters claim to be whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What issues did Lucien face in bringing thousands of black protesters to Clanton?
2. Why do the jurors feel more incarcerated than safe?
3. What are some of the changes in perspective the Carl Lee Hailey trial has had on Jake?
4. What happens when Jake requests a change of venue from Judge Noose following the riot and cross-burnings?
5. How is Jake's closing argument indicative of it being his finest hour?
6. How do Harry Rex's pickup and Jake's Saab reflect more than a matter of taste, but of personality?
7. What happens on the Saturday morning when "Mickey Mouse" tips Ozzie the Klan plan a multi-state retaliation for the Thursday riot?
8. Just past midnight of the day Dr. Bass was questioned, what does Jake discover when driven to his home due to an emergency?
9. What offer does Lucien make to Jake regarding the jury that he objects to?
10. What does the reader learn was key to the jury being swayed to finding an innocent by reason of insanity verdict?
This section contains 1,265 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)