|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is wounded when Jake is escorted from his office to the courthouse on Friday morning, the fifth day?
(a) Deputy Nesbit.
(d) A National Guardsman.
2. Back at his office, what does Jake drink while his friends drink margaritas?
3. Early Sunday morning, the day before the trial opens, Jake is awakened on the law office couch by what?
(a) Large, national TV vehicles vying for best position around Clanton Square.
(b) Ellen knocking persistently on the office door.
(c) The telephone continuosly ringing.
(d) Sounds of the National Guard taking position in Clanton Square.
4. On Monday, during the fifteen minute recess after Rodeheaver's testimony, Jake runs up to the law library where Harry Rex is already, and he assures Jake of what?
(a) Only the Oxford paper mentioned Ellen's attack, and not her name.
(b) He reviewed the statutes and feels Jake has a good chance at appealing.
(c) No paper has mentioned his house fire, only Ellen's attack and no name.
(d) No paper has mentioned his house fire or Ellen's attack.
5. What question does Jake ask of Ozzie during cross-examination that Buckley wildly objects to and Jake withdraws, but Ozzie has already nodded affirmatively to?
(a) Whether Pete Willard signed a confession prior to his death?
(b) Whether either Cobb or Willard signed a confession prior to death?
(c) Did Pete Willard agree to sign a confession for leniency prior to death?
(d) Did either verbally confess prior to death?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many black people does Lucien plan to bring to the courthouse and chant "Free Carl Lee"?
2. When the jury is impaneled, Jake, Harry Rex, and Ellen are in agreement about what?
3. At one point, talk amongst the jurors gradually leads toward a guilty verdict, based essentially on what?
4. Given the National Guard activity the day prior to the trial opening, Jake advises Ellen he will be forced to renew his plea for change of venue, ask for a mistrial, and then be certain of what?
5. How does Hinky Myrick raise money during the Carl Lee trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Harry Rex's pickup and Jake's Saab reflect more than a matter of taste, but of personality?
2. What transpires when Clyde Acker walks for a cola at the Temple Inn?
3. Just past midnight of the day Dr. Bass was questioned, what does Jake discover when driven to his home due to an emergency?
4. What does Jake do on the balcony of his office after he returns from the Coffee Shop on the day the jurors deliver their verdict?
5. What does Jake when the National Guard arrive?
6. Why is Jake essentially lost in court the day he returned after being shot at?
7. What issues did Lucien face in bringing thousands of black protesters to Clanton?
8. What transpires as the forty Ku Klux Klansmen arrive to demonstrate at the courthouse where the black protesters held their vigil?
9. When the case is given to the jury, where do the members stand?
10. Why is Lucien able to draw thousands of black residents from northern Mississippi to Clanton to demonstrate on behalf of Carl Lee?
This section contains 1,244 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)