|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Deputy Looney describe Carl Lee?
(a) "He's a hero. Give him a trophy."
(b) "He's a killer. He's worthy of death."
(c) "It was an accident. But he deserves some prison time."
(d) "For what he did, he deserves life."
2. What is the jury's decision?
(a) Guilty of manslaughter, third degree.
(b) Not guilty on all counts by reason of insanity.
(c) Guilty on all counts.
(d) Guilty of homicide, second degree.
3. Given the National Guard activity the day prior to the trial opening, Jake advises Ellen he will be forced to renew his plea for change of venue, ask for a mistrial, and then be certain of what?
(a) A fair trial is not being held.
(b) The trial is being held in violation of Mississippi State Statues.
(c) Judge Noose is clearly not taking an impartial position.
(d) The record shows that the trial is being held in "a three-ring circus."
4. The night of Stump Sisson's death, the KKK meet in the woods, pledge revenge, and induct how many new Klan members from Ford County?
5. Ministers start a parade of black protesters behind a fifteen-foot banner that reads what?
(a) "Free Carl Lee Hailey."
(b) "Free Carl Lee."
(c) "Carl Lee Was Right."
(d) "Tonya Is The Victim."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jake not tell Carla about in his hour long phone conversation with her Sunday, the evening of the day he returns from Memphis with Harry Rex?
2. What is Clyde Sisco's price?
3. The firebomb that ignites Mississippi KKK Imperial Wizard Stump Sisson is thrown from where?.
4. Who does Jake learn Wanda Womack lives with?
5. As thousands of black protesters congregate outside the courthouse and the jury assembles, Foreman Acker reflects on what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on the Saturday morning when "Mickey Mouse" tips Ozzie the Klan plan a multi-state retaliation for the Thursday riot?
2. When the case is given to the jury, where do the members stand?
3. Why is Lucien able to draw thousands of black residents from northern Mississippi to Clanton to demonstrate on behalf of Carl Lee?
4. What does Jake do on the balcony of his office after he returns from the Coffee Shop on the day the jurors deliver their verdict?
5. What transpires when Clyde Acker walks for a cola at the Temple Inn?
6. What are some of the changes in perspective the Carl Lee Hailey trial has had on Jake?
7. How does Grisham depict Jake's response to the soldier who is seriously injured for protecting him?
8. How are the twelve jurors and two alternates sequestered?
9. What happens when Jake requests a change of venue from Judge Noose following the riot and cross-burnings?
10. What transpires when Jake requests a change of venue in chambers on Monday, the first day of court?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)