|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the trial on the fifth day, Lucien avoids eye contact with Sisco for what reason?
(a) He is confident there is a good chance for victory.
(b) He wants to barter with Sisco on the price.
(c) He knows there is no way to get the figure Sisco has set.
(d) He knows a wink or nod will consummate the deal.
2. On Monday morning, Clanton is in "trial mode" as the Klan is happy having burned down Jake's home and what else?
(a) They sense victory with Jake not coming to court on Friday.
(b) They sense victory following the exposure of Bass.
(c) They sense victoy with the all-white jury.
(d) They sense victory with the attack on Ellen Roark.
3. How many black people does Lucien plan to bring to the courthouse and chant "Free Carl Lee"?
4. When Jake seeks a change of venue from Judge Noose and is told nothing would be done except removing 20 intimidated jurors, Jake learns what?
(a) It is going to be a very uphill trial.
(b) Lucien is right, someone got to Judge Noose.
(c) He can use the refusal to change venue for a mistrial if necessary.
(d) Someone did not get to the judge, but others have been gotten to.
5. How does Carla learn about the all-white jurors in the case?
(a) She hears about them during a radio news broadcast.
(b) She reads about them in the newspaper.
(c) She learns about them during a phone call with Jake.
(d) She learns about them during a TV newsbroadcast.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the jurors arrive the next morning for further deliberation, how are they taken from the bus to the courthouse?
2. As the Mississippi Imperial Wizard of the Klan speaks from the podium, there are 40 Klansmen marching at the courthouse and how many black people?
3. At noon, when the court assembles and finds the jury has not reached a verdict, the judge advises them to do what?
4. How does Deputy Looney describe Carl Lee?
5. When a juror is jumped by thugs at the Temple Inn, how is he threatened?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jake essentially lost in court the day he returned after being shot at?
2. What transpires when Clyde Acker walks for a cola at the Temple Inn?
3. How is Jake's closing argument indicative of it being his finest hour?
4. What happens between Jake and Ellen on the balcony of Jake's office?
5. Just past midnight of the day Dr. Bass was questioned, what does Jake discover when driven to his home due to an emergency?
6. Why do the jurors feel more incarcerated than safe?
7. What does the reader learn was key to the jury being swayed to finding an innocent by reason of insanity verdict?
8. Upon arrival at the hospital to visit Ellen following the Ku Klux Klan attack, how does her father describe to Jake and Harry Rex the way she incurred injuries to the head requiring thirty-nine stitches?
9. How do Buckley's and Jake's approaches differ?
10. How does Grisham depict Jake's response to the soldier who is seriously injured for protecting him?
This section contains 1,144 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)