|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lucien tell Jake regarding the summation?
(a) He can still win; miracles do happen.
(b) Nevermind Bass's condition, the jury might still rule temporary insanity.
(c) He might get the verdict down to second degree homicide.
(d) He might be able to get the verdict down to manslaughter.
2. Early Sunday morning, the day before the trial opens, Jake is awakened on the law office couch by what?
(a) Large, national TV vehicles vying for best position around Clanton Square.
(b) Ellen knocking persistently on the office door.
(c) The telephone continuosly ringing.
(d) Sounds of the National Guard taking position in Clanton Square.
3. On day two of the proceedings, how does the morning begin and where are all the "players" situated?
(a) Hot and sunny, with all diligently taking places on the front lawn.
(b) Drizzling and warm, with many diligently taking places on the front lawn.
(c) Muggy and overcast, with some diligently taking places on the front lawn.
(d) Breezy, with even more than before taking spots on the front lawn.
4. Some of the patrons in the Coffee Shop speculate what about a reporter from the Channel 4 News?
(a) The source of her information.
(b) The makeup she is wearing.
(c) Where she received her training.
(d) If she will report anything positive about Clanton.
5. When Lucien gets the opportunity to discuss Sisco's offer with Jake, what does he state the cost will be?
(a) $50,000 for an acquittal is the only offer.
(b) $2,500 for a hung jury, $5,000 for an acquittal.
(c) $25,000 for a hung jury, $50,000 for an acquittal.
(d) $250,000 for a hung jury, $500,000 for an acquital.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jake seeks a change of venue from Judge Noose and is told nothing would be done except removing 20 intimidated jurors, Jake learns what?
2. On Saturday morning following the shooting attack he survived, Jake surmises that both Lucien and Bass were drunk yesterday and driven home by Deputy Nesbit, and while he drinks a Bloody Mary, Jake prays what?
3. The night of Stump Sisson's death, the KKK meet in the woods, pledge revenge, and induct how many new Klan members from Ford County?
4. Following three hours of sleep on the morning of the trial, Jake bolts awake and has Deputy Nesbit do what?
5. When the jury is impaneled, Jake, Harry Rex, and Ellen are in agreement about what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader learn was key to the jury being swayed to finding an innocent by reason of insanity verdict?
2. Why is Jake essentially lost in court the day he returned after being shot at?
3. What are some of the changes in perspective the Carl Lee Hailey trial has had on Jake?
4. On the second day of the trial, what happens to Gerald Ault, Jake's "ace-in-the-hole"?
5. What happens when Ellen first arrives at Jake's office on the Sunday the National Guard arrives?
6. What issues did Lucien face in bringing thousands of black protesters to Clanton?
7. When the case is given to the jury, where do the members stand?
8. What transpires as the forty Ku Klux Klansmen arrive to demonstrate at the courthouse where the black protesters held their vigil?
9. Beyond the cost of a human life and loss for loved ones and associates, what are some of the significant ramifications of Tim Nunley's death?
10. How do Buckley's and Jake's approaches differ?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)