|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On Saturday morning, the day after Jake was shot at, the rumor in Clanton is that the shooters claim to be whom?
(a) Sisson family members.
(b) Jake's former clients.
(d) "Freelancers" from outside Mississippi.
2. Although Jake wished he had not worn ostrich skin boots, Lucien argues what?
(a) The boots went well with Bass's suit
(b) Ostrich skin boots reflected style.
(c) The boots were expensive and showed class.
(d) The jury would relate to boots.
3. How many black people does Lucien plan to bring to the courthouse and chant "Free Carl Lee"?
4. Who is the first victim to fall in the riot at the courthouse?
(a) Ozzie Walls.
(b) Lester Hailey.
(c) Reverend Agee.
(d) Freddie Cobb.
5. Why does Jake recognize Gerald Ault as a supporter of black people?
(a) Ault was rescued as a boy from a burning building by a black person.
(b) Ault was raised by a black "nanny" until he was in his early teens.
(c) Ault was rescued as a boy from drowning by a black person.
(d) Although a secret few knew, Ault's first girlfriend was black.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the closing statement to the jury, what does Jake say that must be withdrawn?
2. On Friday, day five of the trial, Ozzie and Deputy Nesbit wake Jake before 5:00 a.m. to inform him "Mickey Mouse" has reported what?
3. How does Carla learn about the all-white jurors in the case?
4. When Lucien gets the opportunity to discuss Sisco's offer with Jake, what does he state the cost will be?
5. Despite the urging of his friends, Jake is determined to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lucien able to draw thousands of black residents from northern Mississippi to Clanton to demonstrate on behalf of Carl Lee?
2. How does Grisham depict Jake's response to the soldier who is seriously injured for protecting him?
3. Just past midnight of the day Dr. Bass was questioned, what does Jake discover when driven to his home due to an emergency?
4. Why do the jurors feel more incarcerated than safe?
5. How is Jake's closing argument indicative of it being his finest hour?
6. What transpires when Jake requests a change of venue in chambers on Monday, the first day of court?
7. Why is Jake essentially lost in court the day he returned after being shot at?
8. On Monday, the first morning of the trial, what positions does Jake direct Ellen and Harry Rex, his two assistants, to assume?
9. What issues did Lucien face in bringing thousands of black protesters to Clanton?
10. What offer does Lucien make to Jake regarding the jury that he objects to?
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)