|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lucien gets the opportunity to discuss Sisco's offer with Jake, what does he state the cost will be?
(a) $25,000 for a hung jury, $50,000 for an acquittal.
(b) $250,000 for a hung jury, $500,000 for an acquital.
(c) $2,500 for a hung jury, $5,000 for an acquittal.
(d) $50,000 for an acquittal is the only offer.
2. Where does Judge Noose advise the jurors they will be sequestered?
(a) They will be sequestered in the courthouse with National Guard security.
(b) They will not be sequestered, but are not to discuss the case with anyone.
(c) In the Clanton Inn on Main Street.
(d) In a motel outside Clanton.
3. How many black people does Lucien plan to bring to the courthouse and chant "Free Carl Lee"?
4. As thousands of black protesters congregate outside the courthouse and the jury assembles, Foreman Acker reflects on what?
(a) Where the thugs who jumped him are from.
(b) How the other members of the jury will be voting.
(c) How many others had, like him, been threatened.
(d) If he should report the threat to Sheriff Walls.
5. When Jake has Ellen focus on Dr. Wilbert Rodeheaver, the state's mental expert, he asks her to center on cases where acquittals resulted because he suspects what?
(a) He has never declared a black person "insane."
(b) He is reluctant to declare anyone "insane."
(c) He has always been siding with the state.
(d) He has some shady connections.
Short Answer Questions
1. The firebomb that ignites Mississippi KKK Imperial Wizard Stump Sisson is thrown from where?.
2. On Friday, day five of the trial, Ozzie and Deputy Nesbit wake Jake before 5:00 a.m. to inform him "Mickey Mouse" has reported what?
3. Some of the patrons in the Coffee Shop speculate what about a reporter from the Channel 4 News?
4. When the word gets out that the jury is ready, what does Reverend Agee do with the demonstrators?
5. On Saturday morning following the shooting attack he survived, Jake surmises that both Lucien and Bass were drunk yesterday and driven home by Deputy Nesbit, and while he drinks a Bloody Mary, Jake prays what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between Jake and Ellen on the balcony of Jake's office?
2. Why is Lucien able to draw thousands of black residents from northern Mississippi to Clanton to demonstrate on behalf of Carl Lee?
3. What transpires when Jake requests a change of venue in chambers on Monday, the first day of court?
4. What are some of the changes in perspective the Carl Lee Hailey trial has had on Jake?
5. Beyond the cost of a human life and loss for loved ones and associates, what are some of the significant ramifications of Tim Nunley's death?
6. On the second day of the trial, what happens to Gerald Ault, Jake's "ace-in-the-hole"?
7. Why is Jake essentially lost in court the day he returned after being shot at?
8. What happens when Jake requests a change of venue from Judge Noose following the riot and cross-burnings?
9. What offer does Lucien make to Jake regarding the jury that he objects to?
10. What does Jake do on the balcony of his office after he returns from the Coffee Shop on the day the jurors deliver their verdict?
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)