|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Ellen on her way to Oxford on the evening of the shooting?
(a) She is intentionally run off the road by a pickup truck.
(b) She is pulled over by a vehicle with flashing blue lights.
(c) She has a motor vehicle accident.
(d) She is intentionally run off the road by a sedan.
2. While Jake and Ellen are working on various issues of the case, whom do they invite to join them on the balcony of the law office?
(a) Deputy Nesbit.
(b) Ozzie Walls.
(c) Harry Rex.
3. When the jury is impaneled, Jake, Harry Rex, and Ellen are in agreement about what?
(a) They are uncertain about some of the members.
(b) It is much better than expected.
(c) It is not as bad as was expected.
(d) Things do not look well.
4. When Lucien gets the opportunity to discuss Sisco's offer with Jake, what does he state the cost will be?
(a) $25,000 for a hung jury, $50,000 for an acquittal.
(b) $250,000 for a hung jury, $500,000 for an acquital.
(c) $50,000 for an acquittal is the only offer.
(d) $2,500 for a hung jury, $5,000 for an acquittal.
5. Following three hours of sleep on the morning of the trial, Jake bolts awake and has Deputy Nesbit do what?
(a) Has him drive him to Lucien's home where he left some documents.
(b) Check the building out as he has heard something suspicious.
(c) Take him home so he can shower and shave.
(d) Take him to Ozzie to review security measures in transporting Carl Lee.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has previously witnessed a KKK march in Clanton?
2. During the night of the second trial date, Stump Sisson dies, bringing the number of deaths related to Tonya's rape to how many?
3. The night of Stump Sisson's death, the KKK meet in the woods, pledge revenge, and induct how many new Klan members from Ford County?
4. Who else does Jake visit in the Memphis hospital?
5. Early Sunday morning, the day before the trial opens, Jake is awakened on the law office couch by what?
Short Essay Questions
1. On the second day of the trial, what happens to Gerald Ault, Jake's "ace-in-the-hole"?
2. What does Jake when the National Guard arrive?
3. Beyond the cost of a human life and loss for loved ones and associates, what are some of the significant ramifications of Tim Nunley's death?
4. What does Jake do on the balcony of his office after he returns from the Coffee Shop on the day the jurors deliver their verdict?
5. What does the reader learn was key to the jury being swayed to finding an innocent by reason of insanity verdict?
6. What happens when Ellen first arrives at Jake's office on the Sunday the National Guard arrives?
7. In Chapter 37, how does the consumption or abuse of alcohol come into play?
8. On Monday, the first morning of the trial, what positions does Jake direct Ellen and Harry Rex, his two assistants, to assume?
9. What issues did Lucien face in bringing thousands of black protesters to Clanton?
10. How are the twelve jurors and two alternates sequestered?
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)