|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Jake and Ellen are working on various issues of the case, whom do they invite to join them on the balcony of the law office?
(a) Harry Rex.
(b) Ozzie Walls.
(c) Deputy Nesbit.
2. Looking out a window at the black protesters, Barry Acker realizes a guilty verdict will bring a riot and what will transpire?
(a) They will reach the vans safely.
(b) They will make it out of town with the help of additional National Guard troops.
(c) They will be not be injured.
(d) They will not reach the bus safely.
3. While they await the jury's verdict from Jake's office, what does Lucien confirm as he spins tales regarding his family's heritage?
(a) Ethel is his mother.
(b) Ethel's daughter was Lucien's half-sister who died shortly after birth.
(c) As a teen, his family paid his first love's family to move away.
(d) Ethel's retarded son is his half-brother.
4. Why does Jake recognize Gerald Ault as a supporter of black people?
(a) Ault was rescued as a boy from drowning by a black person.
(b) Ault was raised by a black "nanny" until he was in his early teens.
(c) Ault was rescued as a boy from a burning building by a black person.
(d) Although a secret few knew, Ault's first girlfriend was black.
5. What happens to Ellen on her way to Oxford on the evening of the shooting?
(a) She has a motor vehicle accident.
(b) She is intentionally run off the road by a sedan.
(c) She is intentionally run off the road by a pickup truck.
(d) She is pulled over by a vehicle with flashing blue lights.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first victim to fall in the riot at the courthouse?
2. Ellen explains that it will be impossible to keep what from the jury?
3. Where do Lucien, Harry Rex, and Jake go after talking with Wanda Womack and Mack Loyd Crowell?
4. On day two of the proceedings, how does the morning begin and where are all the "players" situated?
5. How does Hinky Myrick raise money during the Carl Lee trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. What offer does Lucien make to Jake regarding the jury that he objects to?
2. What are some of the changes in perspective the Carl Lee Hailey trial has had on Jake?
3. Just past midnight of the day Dr. Bass was questioned, what does Jake discover when driven to his home due to an emergency?
4. What transpires as the forty Ku Klux Klansmen arrive to demonstrate at the courthouse where the black protesters held their vigil?
5. What happens when Jake requests a change of venue from Judge Noose following the riot and cross-burnings?
6. What transpires when Jake requests a change of venue in chambers on Monday, the first day of court?
7. On the second day of the trial, what happens to Gerald Ault, Jake's "ace-in-the-hole"?
8. What does Jake do on the balcony of his office after he returns from the Coffee Shop on the day the jurors deliver their verdict?
9. Why is Jake essentially lost in court the day he returned after being shot at?
10. Why is everyone relieved when Jake declines to question Murphy, the janitor, in cross-examination?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)