|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Carl Lee aghast when the jury is finally seated?
(a) It is all-white, 11 women and 1 man, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
(b) It is all-white, 9 women and 3 men, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
(c) It is all-white, 10 women and 2 men, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
(d) It is all-white, 12 women and no men, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
2. At noon, when the court assembles and finds the jury has not reached a verdict, the judge advises them to do what?
(a) Take a ninety-minute lunch without deliberation.
(b) Take an hour lunch without deliberation.
(c) Have lunch while they continue deliberation.
(d) Skip lunch and continue deliberation.
3. What does Jake say to the judge after Ozzie explains what has taken place to Noose?
(a) He will be in as soon as he showers, changes, and the area is secured.
(b) He will not be in today, he will be drunk by afternoon, and he will be in Saturday.
(c) He will be in, but not for an hour, as he needs to shower and change.
(d) He will be in this afternoon, not this morning.
4. Given the National Guard activity the day prior to the trial opening, Jake advises Ellen he will be forced to renew his plea for change of venue, ask for a mistrial, and then be certain of what?
(a) The trial is being held in violation of Mississippi State Statues.
(b) Judge Noose is clearly not taking an impartial position.
(c) The record shows that the trial is being held in "a three-ring circus."
(d) A fair trial is not being held.
5. Why is Lucien furious on the morning of the shooting attempt to kill Jake?
(a) The National Guard colonel waited before senting someone to check.
(b) That someone has attempted to take Jake's life.
(c) He has kept Dr. Bass sober all night and his testimony will be postponed.
(d) The National Guard did not check out the silo amongst other locations.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the bored jurors doing by the evening of the third day after the phones have been removed from their rooms?
2. What happens when Carl Lee opens a courtroom window with a small balcony and the deputy nods?
3. On Monday morning, Clanton is in "trial mode" as the Klan is happy having burned down Jake's home and what else?
4. On day two of the proceedings, how does the morning begin and where are all the "players" situated?
5. During the closing statement to the jury, what does Jake say that must be withdrawn?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the twelve jurors and two alternates sequestered?
2. What transpires when Jake requests a change of venue in chambers on Monday, the first day of court?
3. When the case is given to the jury, where do the members stand?
4. How is Jake's closing argument indicative of it being his finest hour?
5. What are some of the changes in perspective the Carl Lee Hailey trial has had on Jake?
6. What does Jake when the National Guard arrive?
7. What issues did Lucien face in bringing thousands of black protesters to Clanton?
8. Why do the jurors feel more incarcerated than safe?
9. Why is Jake essentially lost in court the day he returned after being shot at?
10. Upon arrival at the hospital to visit Ellen following the Ku Klux Klan attack, how does her father describe to Jake and Harry Rex the way she incurred injuries to the head requiring thirty-nine stitches?
This section contains 1,290 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)