|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Carla learn about the all-white jurors in the case?
(a) She reads about them in the newspaper.
(b) She learns about them during a TV newsbroadcast.
(c) She hears about them during a radio news broadcast.
(d) She learns about them during a phone call with Jake.
2. After going to the lake with Harry Rex, Jake visits Lucien and discovers what?
(a) Lucien is sober and working on Jake's summation.
(b) Lucien is drunk and is working on Jake's summation.
(c) Lucien has been drinking and working on Jake's summation.
(d) Lucien is passed out, but has nearly finished Jake's summation.
3. When the trial resumes following the brief recess, why does Jake decline to question Rodeheaver?
(a) He has only once won an argument with an expert.
(b) He rarely wins arguments with experts.
(c) He has never won an argument with an expert.
(d) He often wins arguments with experts, but is not confident this time.
4. While they await the jury's verdict from Jake's office, what does Lucien confirm as he spins tales regarding his family's heritage?
(a) Ethel's retarded son is his half-brother.
(b) Ethel is his mother.
(c) Ethel's daughter was Lucien's half-sister who died shortly after birth.
(d) As a teen, his family paid his first love's family to move away.
5. During the closing statement to the jury, what does Jake say that must be withdrawn?
(a) In Carl Lee's shoes, Jake would blow Cobb's and Willard's heads off.
(b) A murder victim is released, and a rape victim deals with it the rest of her life.
(c) A child cannot understand the reason for the attack.
(d) Tonya will never bear children.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the Mississippi Imperial Wizard of the Klan speaks from the podium, there are 40 Klansmen marching at the courthouse and how many black people?
2. What is Lucien's advice to Jake regarding fear?
3. What does Jake say to the judge after Ozzie explains what has taken place to Noose?
4. When Jake and Harry Rex arrive at the Memphis hospital to visit Ellen, her father, Sheldon Roark, explains what about the injuries to her head that required thirty-nine stitches?
5. Where do Lucien, Harry Rex, and Jake go after talking with Wanda Womack and Mack Loyd Crowell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between Jake and Ellen on the balcony of Jake's office?
2. On the second day of the trial, what happens to Gerald Ault, Jake's "ace-in-the-hole"?
3. On Monday, the first morning of the trial, what positions does Jake direct Ellen and Harry Rex, his two assistants, to assume?
4. When the case is given to the jury, where do the members stand?
5. What happens when Jake requests a change of venue from Judge Noose following the riot and cross-burnings?
6. What does Jake when the National Guard arrive?
7. Why is Jake essentially lost in court the day he returned after being shot at?
8. How are the twelve jurors and two alternates sequestered?
9. What offer does Lucien make to Jake regarding the jury that he objects to?
10. What are some of the changes in perspective the Carl Lee Hailey trial has had on Jake?
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)