|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Tonya?
2. How many murder trials has Jake Brigance served as the defense counsel prior to the preliminary hearing for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard?
3. Where is Carl Lee seated during the change of venue hearing?
(a) Still being examined by doctors.
(b) Next to Jake, by his own choice.
(c) Carl Lee chose to stay in jail.
(d) Next to Jake, as required by court procedures.
4. Following his motion to withdraw on Friday, Jake does what?
(a) Confirms with his Court Clerk contact that there is nothing new in Carl Lee's file since withdrawal.
(b) Slips into the Court Clerk's office and quickly surveys Carl Lee's file.
(c) Advises with Lucien regarding the current status of Carl Lee case.
(d) Calls Marsharfsky to become his local associate in Carl Lee case.
5. During their picnic, what is Carl Lee's response when Gwen questions him about his commitment to bring in a few hundred dollars to make ends meet?
(a) He reminds her he is still the man of the family.
(b) He states he is doing the best he can.
(c) He remains silent.
(d) He firmly repeats that he will see what he can do.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ozzie get the bomb defused?
2. Sheriff Walls is concerned about Carl Lee's safety and comes up with what plan for transporting him to the courthouse on the day of his preliminary hearing?
3. A convoy of how many buses carrying elderly blacks converge at the courthouse where Reverend Agee is holding a rally?
4. Carla and Jake, raised as Baptist and Methodist respectively, have agreed to become what?
5. Days before the trial, Gwen Hailey calls Jake and informs him she is behind on house payments, the utilities might be shut off, and has only received how much from the church council?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jake skillfully manipulate the media immediately following Carl Lee's arraignment?
2. How does John Grisham depict the events taking place in Clanton as carnival-like?
3. What is Ellen Roark's response to Jake when he quizzes her on her credentials?
4. What observations on the part of Jake's secretary irritate him to the point he advises her to keep quiet or quit?
5. What transpires between Carl Lee and Deputy Looney while the latter is still hospitalized, and how does Jake respond?
6. Who does Billy Ray Cobb's brother, Freddie, approach in seeking revenge, and what is the result?
7. What is a significant plot development in Chapter 5?
8. In what ways does John Grisham show that Jake relishes being back on center stage once he is Carl Lee's attorney?
9. Why does a convoy of buses enter Clanton?
10. How does Rufus Buckley make use of the illegally-obtained jury list?
This section contains 1,193 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)