|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Jake calls Lester in Chicago?
(a) Lester agrees to return to Clanton with little prompting.
(b) Lester says he cannot return until the trial.
(c) Lester agrees to come back, but not soon.
(d) Lester agrees to return to Clanton with much prompting.
2. After being threatened by Marsharfsky, Jake does what?
(a) Lights a cheap cigar, and writes a complaint regarding Marsharfsky.
(b) Lights an expensive Caribbean cigar, and writes a complaint regarding Marsharfsky.
(c) Lights an expensive Cuban cigar, and writes a change of venue request.
(d) Lights a cheap cigar, and writes a change of venue request.
3. Where did K.T. "Cat" Bruster lose his eye?
(a) Tenements of Memphis.
(b) Rice patties of Vietnam.
(c) Deserts of Afghanistan.
(d) Back alleys of Chicago.
4. A convoy of how many buses carrying elderly blacks converge at the courthouse where Reverend Agee is holding a rally?
5. What does Jake Brigance drive?
(a) A Saab.
(b) A Jaguar.
(c) A Rolls-Royce.
(d) A BMW.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lester Hailey has driven to Clanton from where?
2. What is Jake's view of insurance companies and their lawyers?
3. What does Ozzie do after he is tipped off three minutes after midnight on July 12 that the Brigance home is to be blown up within three hours?
4. Following Carl Lee's preliminary hearing, what does Jake attempt to do in the interview with New York Times reporter McKittrick?
5. Several days following his being rehired by Carl Lee, Jake is summoned to Lucien's home to meet whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jake skillfully manipulate the media immediately following Carl Lee's arraignment?
2. What transpires between Carl Lee and Deputy Looney while the latter is still hospitalized, and how does Jake respond?
3. What illegal methods does Ozzie employ to gain information from the suspected bomber?
4. Why is Carl Lee reluctant to rehire Jake?
5. How are the key characters depicted as selfish and self-centered in Chapter 24?
6. In Chapter 10, what does Lucien advise Jake his best courses of action are in Carl Lee's defense?
7. What are some Jake's unethical practices?
8. In what ways does John Grisham show that Jake relishes being back on center stage once he is Carl Lee's attorney?
9. What are the positions taken by Jake and Carla when he suggests he will contact Lester, Carl Lee's brother, after the latter fires him?
10. Why does a convoy of buses enter Clanton?
This section contains 1,174 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)