|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Carla's reply when Jake asks her if she would convict Carl Lee Hailey for murdering Billy Ray Cobb if she were a jury member?
(a) She would have to convict.
(b) She would have to convict of a lesser charge.
(c) It would be hard to convict.
(d) She could not convict.
2. Lester tells Carl Lee what when he visits his cell?
(a) He needs to leave and will return when he is able.
(b) He has to leave now.
(c) He will remain as long as is needed.
(d) He needs to leave, but will be back for his trial.
3. How long does it take Sheriff Ozzie Walls to obtain arrest warrants for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard?
(a) 1 day.
(b) 2 hours.
(c) 12 hours.
(d) 20 minutes.
4. What is Lester's local girlfriend's name, and how many children do they have?
(a) Frances, 1.
(b) Champagne, 1.
(c) Iris, 1.
(d) Iris, 2.
5. Who begs Sheriff Ozzie Walls to reopen the local "tonks"?
(a) The local AA director.
(b) Parents of young children.
(c) The schoolboard members.
(d) The local ministers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carl Lee Hailey feel his chances are, now that he has been arrested and charged with two counts of murder?
2. Ollie Agee, the Hailey's pastor, convenes the Council of Ministers, a board of the local black ministry, which decides to do what?
3. Norman Reinfeld, the thirty-year-old Jewish supervisor of the NAACP defense team, graduated from which law school?
4. When Jake informs Ellen of the threats received by phone, the bombing attempt, and other dangers the job may entail, what is her response?
5. Lester Hailey has driven to Clanton from where?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Carl Lee reluctant to rehire Jake?
2. What observations on the part of Jake's secretary irritate him to the point he advises her to keep quiet or quit?
3. What is Ellen Roark's response to Jake when he quizzes her on her credentials?
4. Why does Judge Noose impose a gag order?
5. What transpires between Carl Lee and Deputy Looney while the latter is still hospitalized, and how does Jake respond?
6. What sort of an attorney is Harry Rex Vonner?
7. What does the reader learn about the Ford County District Attorney in Chapter 7?
8. What are the positions taken by Jake and Carla when he suggests he will contact Lester, Carl Lee's brother, after the latter fires him?
9. How are the key characters depicted as selfish and self-centered in Chapter 24?
10. Why does John Grisham open his story with such horrific detail of the crime?
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)