|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Carl Lee seated during the change of venue hearing?
(a) Next to Jake, as required by court procedures.
(b) Next to Jake, by his own choice.
(c) Still being examined by doctors.
(d) Carl Lee chose to stay in jail.
2. What is the temperature at Reverend Agee's rally?
(a) 70 degrees.
(b) 90 degrees.
(c) 80 degrees.
(d) 100 degrees.
3. Jake's friend Harry Rex Vonner tells him the grand jury voted how on the Hailey indictment?
4. Lester tells Carl Lee what when he visits his cell?
(a) He has to leave now.
(b) He needs to leave, but will be back for his trial.
(c) He will remain as long as is needed.
(d) He needs to leave and will return when he is able.
5. What is the reaction to the press conference?
(a) Nothing local, only in Jackson, Memphis, Atlanta and elsewhere.
(b) It is a short clip on the 10:00 p.m. broadcast, and a short column with no photo in the back pages.
(c) It is a TV news hit, and the Hailey family photo appears on the front page.
(d) Primarily on TV news, and little in the newspapers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jake Brigance drive?
2. Following the preliminary hearing for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard, who hides in the county courthouse after closing at 4:30 p.m. on Friday?
3. What three individuals were aware of what would likely take place, so the double murder does not surprise them?
4. What is Clanton doing to prepare for the national spotlight a week before the Carl Lee trial?
5. Who has received threatening phone calls both at home and in the office?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the trajectory of Judge Omar Noose's career that has led him to his current status?
2. How does John Grisham depict the events taking place in Clanton as carnival-like?
3. How are the key characters depicted as selfish and self-centered in Chapter 24?
4. What are some of the efforts made in Clanton in preparation for the trial?
5. What sort of a lawyer is Jake Brigance?
6. What observations on the part of Jake's secretary irritate him to the point he advises her to keep quiet or quit?
7. What illegal methods does Ozzie employ to gain information from the suspected bomber?
8. What are the positions taken by Jake and Carla when he suggests he will contact Lester, Carl Lee's brother, after the latter fires him?
9. Why does the name of Clyde Sisco cause some stir during Jake's jury strategy team session in Chapter 29?
10. Despite Jake's seeking a change of venue again, what are the reasons Jake would prefer the trial continue in Ford County?
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)