|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ozzie do after he is tipped off three minutes after midnight on July 12 that the Brigance home is to be blown up within three hours?
(a) Ignores the tip.
(b) Awakens Jake, and instructs him to send his family into hiding.
(c) Awakens Jake, and instructs him to take his family to the airport.
(d) Awakens Jake, and instructs him to take up a position with his rifle.
2. Besides getting names and addresses, what does the Ku Klux Klan advise Freddie Cobb he must do to participate?
(a) Recruit 5 or 6 members and join the KKK.
(b) Join the KKK and participate in the lynching of a black person.
(c) Join the KKK.
(d) Recruit 2 additional members and join the KKK.
3. When Jake Brigance confides in Sheriff Walls that Carl Lee Hailey may be planning the murder of Cobb and Willard, what do they speculate about how they might feel?
(a) That they would move so their daughters could start over.
(b) That they would not allow their daughters to testify.
(c) That they would carefully follow the trial.
(d) That they might entertain murder.
4. Jake Brigance advises deputies that Billy Ray Cobb could receive life plus 40 years if he is convicted on all charges, and could be paroled how soon if Tonya lives?
(a) 25 years.
(b) 13 years.
(c) 20 years.
(d) No parole.
5. How long does it take Sheriff Ozzie Walls to obtain arrest warrants for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard?
(a) 12 hours.
(b) 2 hours.
(c) 20 minutes.
(d) 1 day.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Tonya?
2. After Jake tells Ethel to shut up or quit when she informs him about his $4,000 in unpaid bills, less than $1,900 in the bank, and his failure to see clients or drop off promised files, what does she do?
3. Carla and Jake, raised as Baptist and Methodist respectively, have agreed to become what?
4. What is Clanton doing to prepare for the national spotlight a week before the Carl Lee trial?
5. Lester Hailey has driven to Clanton from where?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does John Grisham show that Jake relishes being back on center stage once he is Carl Lee's attorney?
2. What sort of relationship exists between Sheriff Ozzie Walls and Jake Brigance?
3. What sort of a lawman is Sheriff Ozzie Walls?
4. How does Rufus Buckley make use of the illegally-obtained jury list?
5. What does the reader learn about the Ford County District Attorney in Chapter 7?
6. How does John Grisham depict the events taking place in Clanton as carnival-like?
7. How does K.T. "Cat" Bruster's view of truth and justice compare with Carl Lee's?
8. What are some Jake's unethical practices?
9. What illegal methods does Ozzie employ to gain information from the suspected bomber?
10. What are some of the efforts made in Clanton in preparation for the trial?
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)