|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Several days following his being rehired by Carl Lee, Jake is summoned to Lucien's home to meet whom?
(a) Dr. W.T. Bass, retired psychiatrist.
(b) Dr. W.T. Bass, retired podiatrist.
(c) Dr. W.T. Bass, retired pediatrician.
(d) Dr. W.T. Bass, retired psychologist.
2. Since Jake insists he will not be a "gofer" for the NAACP, what is the response when Carl Lee asks what will happen to the $20,000 defense fund if he uses only Jake?
(a) He will receive it all.
(b) Only a small portion will go to the Hailey family support fund.
(c) He will only receive half.
(d) The $20,000 only accompanies the NAACP defense team.
3. What does Judge Bullard do to calm his nerves?
(a) Listens to classical music.
(b) Drinks vodka.
(c) Watches TV soaps at lunchtime.
(d) Drinks moonshine whiskey.
4. What illegal item does Carl Lee Hailey request to buy from K.T. "Cat" Bruster?
(a) An automatic M-1 carbine.
(b) A .45 caliber semi-automatic.
(c) An automatic M-16.
(d) An automatic AK-47.
5. What is Jake's view of insurance companies and their lawyers?
(a) Jake hates them both.
(b) Jake has defended the insurance side and sees the need.
(c) Jake is jealous and wishes he could be one.
(d) Jake understands the need for them, but does not like them.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jake Brigance confides in Sheriff Walls that Carl Lee Hailey may be planning the murder of Cobb and Willard, what do they speculate about how they might feel?
2. How have Lucien and Harry Rex advised Jake regarding selection of women for the jury?
3. When interviewed by TV journalists the day before Carl Lee's preliminary hearing, what does Jake tell them a Mississippi jury has as options when trying capital murder?
4. Why does the name of Clyde Sisco cause some stir during the meeting of Jake's jury strategy team?
5. What does Jake Brigance drive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Despite Jake's seeking a change of venue again, what are the reasons Jake would prefer the trial continue in Ford County?
2. How does John Grisham depict the events taking place in Clanton as carnival-like?
3. What illegal methods does Ozzie employ to gain information from the suspected bomber?
4. What sort of relationship exists between Sheriff Ozzie Walls and Jake Brigance?
5. What are some Jake's unethical practices?
6. How does Rufus Buckley make use of the illegally-obtained jury list?
7. What does the reader learn about the Ford County District Attorney in Chapter 7?
8. What are the positions taken by Jake and Carla when he suggests he will contact Lester, Carl Lee's brother, after the latter fires him?
9. Why does Judge Noose impose a gag order?
10. What sort of an attorney is Harry Rex Vonner?
This section contains 1,255 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)