|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the Ku Klux Klan meeting when Freddie Cobb, Billy Ray's brother, is stipulating to the Imperial Wizard that that they must get involved?
(a) Deep in the woods of Durham County, 125 miles northeast of Clanton.
(b) In a barn on an abandoned farm, 20 miles outside Vicksburg.
(c) In a warehouse in an industrial park, late at night.
(d) Deep in the woods of Nettles County, 230 miles south of Clanton.
2. How do the other prisoners feel about Carl Lee taking meals with the sheriff?
3. Jake Brigance advises deputies that Billy Ray Cobb could receive life plus 40 years if he is convicted on all charges, and could be paroled how soon if Tonya lives?
(a) 13 years.
(b) 25 years.
(c) No parole.
(d) 20 years.
4. After her refusal to give the juror list to Jake, what does Jean Gillespie do when he reminds her of previously helping with her family and her reelection?
(a) Jean is sorry Jake storms out, but feels he will calm down.
(b) She still refuses, and cries after Jake storms out.
(c) Jean is not concerned.
(d) Jean refuses and apologizes, but says that she has no alternative.
5. How does Jake Brigance view the Carl Lee Hailey murder trial?
(a) With a four-year-old daughter of his own, he feels merely empathy.
(b) An opportunity to earn money.
(c) Solely as an opportunity to help a person of color.
(d) As his ticket to the big time.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lucien Wilbanks inherited the family law firm in 1965, what does he keep?
2. After Jake wakes with a bad hangover, what does he do?
3. After Jake tells Ethel to shut up or quit when she informs him about his $4,000 in unpaid bills, less than $1,900 in the bank, and his failure to see clients or drop off promised files, what does she do?
4. Following the preliminary hearing for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard, who hides in the county courthouse after closing at 4:30 p.m. on Friday?
5. How does Ozzie determine what is in the ticking case the stranger has brought to the front porch of of Jake's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. On the second day of the trial, what happens to Gerald Ault, Jake's "ace-in-the-hole"?
2. What are the positions taken by Jake and Carla when he suggests he will contact Lester, Carl Lee's brother, after the latter fires him?
3. Why does John Grisham open his story with such horrific detail of the crime?
4. Why is Lucien able to draw thousands of black residents from northern Mississippi to Clanton to demonstrate on behalf of Carl Lee?
5. What transpires between Carl Lee and Deputy Looney while the latter is still hospitalized, and how does Jake respond?
6. What do readers learn about Jake Brigance in Chapter 8?
7. What sort of relationship exists between Sheriff Ozzie Walls and Jake Brigance?
8. What is Ellen Roark's response to Jake when he quizzes her on her credentials?
9. How does Grisham depict Jake's response to the soldier who is seriously injured for protecting him?
10. What is the trajectory of Judge Omar Noose's career that has led him to his current status?
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)