|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jake Brigance drive?
(a) A Jaguar.
(b) A Rolls-Royce.
(c) A BMW.
(d) A Saab.
2. What does Carl Lee Hailey feel his chances are, now that he has been arrested and charged with two counts of murder?
(a) Hoping, but not expecting much in a predominantly white community.
(b) He is moderately confident, never hoping for too much.
(c) He is confident Jake Brigance will get him off, as he did his brother.
(d) He is not as confident as Jake Briance was on TV.
3. What is Tonya restrained with while being raped?
(a) Nylon rope.
(b) Swing-set chain.
(c) Cotton rope.
(d) Electrical cord.
4. What does Judge Bullard do to calm his nerves?
(a) Listens to classical music.
(b) Drinks vodka.
(c) Watches TV soaps at lunchtime.
(d) Drinks moonshine whiskey.
5. After Jake tells Ethel to shut up or quit when she informs him about his $4,000 in unpaid bills, less than $1,900 in the bank, and his failure to see clients or drop off promised files, what does she do?
(a) She tearfully explains about the threatening phone calls, and her husband's ill health.
(b) She firmly states he could find no replacement to last a week.
(c) She yells she has put up with his childishness long enough.
(d) She angrily responds by throwing papers and storming out.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the other prisoners feel about Carl Lee taking meals with the sheriff?
2. How much has Jake been paid by Lester Hailey prior to the indictment?
3. What have local attorneys dubbed Judge Omar Noose?
4. What is Carla's reply when Jake asks her if she would convict Carl Lee Hailey for murdering Billy Ray Cobb if she were a jury member?
5. Jake Brigance advises deputies that Billy Ray Cobb could receive life plus 40 years if he is convicted on all charges, and could be paroled how soon if Tonya lives?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rufus Buckley make use of the illegally-obtained jury list?
2. What are some of the efforts made in Clanton in preparation for the trial?
3. What is a significant plot development in Chapter 5?
4. What illegal methods does Ozzie employ to gain information from the suspected bomber?
5. In Chapter 10, what does Lucien advise Jake his best courses of action are in Carl Lee's defense?
6. Despite Jake's seeking a change of venue again, what are the reasons Jake would prefer the trial continue in Ford County?
7. How does K.T. "Cat" Bruster's view of truth and justice compare with Carl Lee's?
8. Why is Carl Lee reluctant to rehire Jake?
9. What does the reader learn in the dialogue between Carl Lee Hailey and Jake Brigance in Chapter 4?
10. Why does John Grisham open his story with such horrific detail of the crime?
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)