|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sheriff Walls testify during the change of venue hearing?
(a) Most Ford County citizens know most of the rape and murder facts, and have not made their minds up.
(b) Virtually all Ford County citizens don't know all the rape and murder facts, but have their minds made up.
(c) There are not 12 Ford County citizens that don't have all the rape and murder facts, and their minds are made up.
(d) The majority of Ford County citizens know all the rape and murder facts, and have their minds made up.
2. A convoy of how many buses carrying elderly blacks converge at the courthouse where Reverend Agee is holding a rally?
3. During the meeting of Jake's jury strategy team, what do the black citizens do?
(a) Maintain a candlelight vigil surrounding the courthouse and jail.
(b) Maintain a prayer vigil at local black churches.
(c) Maintain a candlelight vigil surrounding the jail.
(d) Maintain a candlelight vigil surrounding the courthouse.
4. When a Memphis TV crew requests to be allowed to film the trial, what does Judge Willard Bullard do?
(a) Advises they may only film inside the courtroom, they may not broadcast.
(b) Advises they may film, but it will all be reviewed by the county prosecutor.
(c) Grants them permission so long as they do not interfere with proceedings.
(d) Instructs the county courtroom deputy, Mr. Pate, to throw them out.
5. Carla and Jake, raised as Baptist and Methodist respectively, have agreed to become what?
Short Answer Questions
1. On the morning of the day he first meets Ellen, what is it Jake recalls Carla could tell during their phone conversation the night before?
2. What does Judge Bullard do to calm his nerves?
3. How do the members of the council of black ministers arrive for strategic planning regarding the NAACP defense of Carl Lee?
4. Why does Lucien advise Jake he needs to seek a change of venue?
5. Norman Reinfeld, the thirty-year-old Jewish supervisor of the NAACP defense team, graduated from which law school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader learn in the dialogue between Carl Lee Hailey and Jake Brigance in Chapter 4?
2. What transpires when Clyde Acker walks for a cola at the Temple Inn?
3. Why is Jake essentially lost in court the day he returned after being shot at?
4. How are the twelve jurors and two alternates sequestered?
5. What does Jake do on the balcony of his office after he returns from the Coffee Shop on the day the jurors deliver their verdict?
6. What happens when Jake requests a change of venue from Judge Noose following the riot and cross-burnings?
7. What sort of a lawman is Sheriff Ozzie Walls?
8. In Chapter 37, how does the consumption or abuse of alcohol come into play?
9. What do readers learn about Jake Brigance in Chapter 8?
10. Why does the name of Clyde Sisco cause some stir during Jake's jury strategy team session in Chapter 29?
This section contains 1,153 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)