|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lucien advise Jake he needs to seek a change of venue?
(a) The chances for a less experienced prosecutor are better.
(b) To get at least one black jury member.
(c) The KKK in Ford County is very strong.
(d) Everyone in Ford County has already made their minds up.
2. What does Carl Lee Hailey feel his chances are, now that he has been arrested and charged with two counts of murder?
(a) He is moderately confident, never hoping for too much.
(b) Hoping, but not expecting much in a predominantly white community.
(c) He is not as confident as Jake Briance was on TV.
(d) He is confident Jake Brigance will get him off, as he did his brother.
3. Following the preliminary hearing for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard, who hides in the county courthouse after closing at 4:30 p.m. on Friday?
(a) Jake Brigance.
(b) Lester Hailey.
(c) Carl Lee Hailey.
(d) Lucien Wilbanks.
4. What happens when Jake calls Lester in Chicago?
(a) Lester agrees to return to Clanton with much prompting.
(b) Lester agrees to return to Clanton with little prompting.
(c) Lester says he cannot return until the trial.
(d) Lester agrees to come back, but not soon.
5. Since Jake insists he will not be a "gofer" for the NAACP, what is the response when Carl Lee asks what will happen to the $20,000 defense fund if he uses only Jake?
(a) He will only receive half.
(b) Only a small portion will go to the Hailey family support fund.
(c) He will receive it all.
(d) The $20,000 only accompanies the NAACP defense team.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lucien Wilbanks inherited the family law firm in 1965, what does he keep?
2. How many murder trials has Jake Brigance served as the defense counsel prior to the preliminary hearing for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard?
3. Ollie Agee, the Hailey's pastor, convenes the Council of Ministers, a board of the local black ministry, which decides to do what?
4. Jake Brigance advises deputies that Billy Ray Cobb could receive life plus 40 years if he is convicted on all charges, and could be paroled how soon if Tonya lives?
5. When Bo Marsharfsky calls requesting Jake to be his local associate, what is his response?
Short Essay Questions
1. What observations on the part of Jake's secretary irritate him to the point he advises her to keep quiet or quit?
2. How does Jake skillfully manipulate the media immediately following Carl Lee's arraignment?
3. What illegal methods does Ozzie employ to gain information from the suspected bomber?
4. What sort of relationship exists between Sheriff Ozzie Walls and Jake Brigance?
5. How does K.T. "Cat" Bruster's view of truth and justice compare with Carl Lee's?
6. How does John Grisham depict the events taking place in Clanton as carnival-like?
7. What are some Jake's unethical practices?
8. What is Ellen Roark's response to Jake when he quizzes her on her credentials?
9. Why does a convoy of buses enter Clanton?
10. What do readers learn about Jake Brigance in Chapter 8?
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)