|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On his way back to Mississippi, what is Lester doing?
(a) Reflecting on how he can help Carl Lee pay for legal services.
(b) Reflecting on his failing marriage.
(c) Reflecting on how he will get Carl Lee to rehire Jake.
(d) Reflecting on how he got off.
2. Ollie Agee, the Hailey's pastor, convenes the Council of Ministers, a board of the local black ministry, which decides to do what?
(a) Initiate a fund and prayer vigil for the Hailey's.
(b) Bring in the NAACP.
(c) Initiate a defense fund for Carl Lee, a support fund for his family, and security for Hailey's home.
(d) Initiate a defense fund for Carl Lee, a support fund for his family, and bring in the NAACP.
3. What do the participants chant at the rally?
(a) "We will overcome."
(b) "Free Carl Lee."
(c) "We want a just trial."
(d) "Amazing grace."
4. What is the reaction to the press conference?
(a) It is a TV news hit, and the Hailey family photo appears on the front page.
(b) It is a short clip on the 10:00 p.m. broadcast, and a short column with no photo in the back pages.
(c) Primarily on TV news, and little in the newspapers.
(d) Nothing local, only in Jackson, Memphis, Atlanta and elsewhere.
5. At the city's largest black church, with NAACP officials and Gwen Hailey at his side, who announces the Carl Lee Hailey defense fund?
(a) Reverend Amos Oliver.
(b) Pastor Oster Angel.
(c) Reverend Ollie Agee.
(d) Pastor Malachi Aristotle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many murder trials has Jake Brigance served as the defense counsel prior to the preliminary hearing for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard?
2. What does Judge Bullard do to calm his nerves?
3. After Jake wakes with a bad hangover, what does he do?
4. What is Jake's view of insurance companies and their lawyers?
5. How is Ford County Sheriff viewed by the local citizenry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the positions taken by Jake and Carla when he suggests he will contact Lester, Carl Lee's brother, after the latter fires him?
2. Why does a convoy of buses enter Clanton?
3. In Chapter 10, what does Lucien advise Jake his best courses of action are in Carl Lee's defense?
4. What transpires between Carl Lee and Deputy Looney while the latter is still hospitalized, and how does Jake respond?
5. Why does John Grisham open his story with such horrific detail of the crime?
6. What sort of a lawman is Sheriff Ozzie Walls?
7. How does Rufus Buckley make use of the illegally-obtained jury list?
8. How are the key characters depicted as selfish and self-centered in Chapter 24?
9. What are some Jake's unethical practices?
10. How does K.T. "Cat" Bruster's view of truth and justice compare with Carl Lee's?
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)