|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jake threaten to fire his secretary Ethel?
(a) She has allowed calls to come to his office phone before 8:30 a.m.
(b) She has brought individuals to his office before advising of their presence.
(c) She has repeatedly been late to work and taken long lunch breaks.
(d) She has allowed someone to await his return in his office.
2. What is Tonya restrained with while being raped?
(a) Nylon rope.
(b) Swing-set chain.
(c) Electrical cord.
(d) Cotton rope.
3. Why does Lucien advise Jake he needs to seek a change of venue?
(a) The chances for a less experienced prosecutor are better.
(b) To get at least one black jury member.
(c) Everyone in Ford County has already made their minds up.
(d) The KKK in Ford County is very strong.
4. During their picnic, what is Carl Lee's response when Gwen questions him about his commitment to bring in a few hundred dollars to make ends meet?
(a) He states he is doing the best he can.
(b) He remains silent.
(c) He reminds her he is still the man of the family.
(d) He firmly repeats that he will see what he can do.
5. The Sunday after Jake gets fired, he and Carla skip church and take Hanna where?
(a) On a picnic.
(b) To a zoo.
(c) Kite flying.
Short Answer Questions
1. What three individuals were aware of what would likely take place, so the double murder does not surprise them?
2. How have Lucien and Harry Rex advised Jake regarding selection of women for the jury?
3. Where is Tonya seated in the interview with Jake and the Hailey family?
4. What are the six capital defense attorneys of the NAACP known as?
5. When a Memphis TV crew requests to be allowed to film the trial, what does Judge Willard Bullard do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does a convoy of buses enter Clanton?
2. How does Rufus Buckley make use of the illegally-obtained jury list?
3. How are the key characters depicted as selfish and self-centered in Chapter 24?
4. What observations on the part of Jake's secretary irritate him to the point he advises her to keep quiet or quit?
5. What is a significant plot development in Chapter 5?
6. What are some of the efforts made in Clanton in preparation for the trial?
7. Why does Judge Noose impose a gag order?
8. Why does John Grisham open his story with such horrific detail of the crime?
9. How does K.T. "Cat" Bruster's view of truth and justice compare with Carl Lee's?
10. What does the reader learn in the dialogue between Carl Lee Hailey and Jake Brigance in Chapter 4?
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)