Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Tonya seated in the interview with Jake and the Hailey family?
(a) Seated in her daddy's lap.
(b) Seated in her mama's lap.
(c) She is afraid and is not present.
(d) Seated in her Uncle Lester's lap.
2. Where is Carl Lee seated during the change of venue hearing?
(a) Next to Jake, as required by court procedures.
(b) Still being examined by doctors.
(c) Carl Lee chose to stay in jail.
(d) Next to Jake, by his own choice.
3. Jake's friend Harry Rex Vonner tells him the grand jury voted how on the Hailey indictment?
4. When does Agee agree to get the "love offering" funds for the Hailey family to Gwen?
(a) When Ozzie threatens to arrest him.
(b) When Jake threatens to prosecute.
(c) When Carl Lee threatens to tell everyone of Agee's dirty dealings.
(d) When Ozzie says he could tell the church of his stolen car, DUI, and funeral home kickbicks.
5. When Jake Brigance confides in Sheriff Walls that Carl Lee Hailey may be planning the murder of Cobb and Willard, what do they speculate about how they might feel?
(a) That they would carefully follow the trial.
(b) That they might entertain murder.
(c) That they would move so their daughters could start over.
(d) That they would not allow their daughters to testify.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the name of Clyde Sisco cause some stir during the meeting of Jake's jury strategy team?
2. Why does Carl Lee fire Jake?
3. What is Carla's reply when Jake asks her if she would convict Carl Lee Hailey for murdering Billy Ray Cobb if she were a jury member?
4. What does Carl Lee Hailey feel his chances are, now that he has been arrested and charged with two counts of murder?
5. What is Jake's view of insurance companies and their lawyers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does K.T. "Cat" Bruster's view of truth and justice compare with Carl Lee's?
2. What sort of an attorney is Harry Rex Vonner?
3. What transpires between Carl Lee and Deputy Looney while the latter is still hospitalized, and how does Jake respond?
4. How do Harry Rex's pickup and Jake's Saab reflect more than a matter of taste, but of personality?
5. What happens when Jake requests a change of venue from Judge Noose following the riot and cross-burnings?
6. Upon arrival at the hospital to visit Ellen following the Ku Klux Klan attack, how does her father describe to Jake and Harry Rex the way she incurred injuries to the head requiring thirty-nine stitches?
7. Why does John Grisham open his story with such horrific detail of the crime?
8. What happens between Jake and Ellen on the balcony of Jake's office?
9. What are some of the changes in perspective the Carl Lee Hailey trial has had on Jake?
10. How does John Grisham depict the events taking place in Clanton as carnival-like?
This section contains 1,192 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)