|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many murder trials has Jake Brigance served as the defense counsel prior to the preliminary hearing for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard?
2. Why does the name of Clyde Sisco cause some stir during the meeting of Jake's jury strategy team?
(a) Lucien states Sisco is one of few whites at Tank's Tonk.
(b) Lucien tells how he "bought" Sisco in a previous case.
(c) Lucien says Sisco owes him, as he got him off of prior charges.
(d) Lucien says Sisco is white, but has a daughter with a black girlfriend.
3. How does Ozzie get the bomb defused?
(a) He calls for an explosives expert at the Sheriff's Department.
(b) He handcuffs the man to the gas meter and puts the ticking case between his legs.
(c) He has the case carefully taken to a secluded section of woods.
(d) He calls for an explosives expert in the next county to be helicoptered in.
4. Why does Jake threaten to fire his secretary Ethel?
(a) She has repeatedly been late to work and taken long lunch breaks.
(b) She has allowed someone to await his return in his office.
(c) She has allowed calls to come to his office phone before 8:30 a.m.
(d) She has brought individuals to his office before advising of their presence.
5. Why does Lucien advise Jake he needs to seek a change of venue?
(a) To get at least one black jury member.
(b) The KKK in Ford County is very strong.
(c) Everyone in Ford County has already made their minds up.
(d) The chances for a less experienced prosecutor are better.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ozzie do after he is tipped off three minutes after midnight on July 12 that the Brigance home is to be blown up within three hours?
2. The Sunday after Jake gets fired, he and Carla skip church and take Hanna where?
3. After Jake tells Ethel to shut up or quit when she informs him about his $4,000 in unpaid bills, less than $1,900 in the bank, and his failure to see clients or drop off promised files, what does she do?
4. When interviewed by TV journalists the day before Carl Lee's preliminary hearing, what does Jake tell them a Mississippi jury has as options when trying capital murder?
5. Sheriff Walls is concerned about Carl Lee's safety and comes up with what plan for transporting him to the courthouse on the day of his preliminary hearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Judge Noose impose a gag order?
2. Despite Jake's seeking a change of venue again, what are the reasons Jake would prefer the trial continue in Ford County?
3. How does Rufus Buckley make use of the illegally-obtained jury list?
4. Why does John Grisham open his story with such horrific detail of the crime?
5. What sort of relationship exists between Sheriff Ozzie Walls and Jake Brigance?
6. How does K.T. "Cat" Bruster's view of truth and justice compare with Carl Lee's?
7. How does Jake skillfully manipulate the media immediately following Carl Lee's arraignment?
8. What sort of an attorney is Harry Rex Vonner?
9. What is a significant plot development in Chapter 5?
10. In what ways does John Grisham show that Jake relishes being back on center stage once he is Carl Lee's attorney?
This section contains 1,363 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)