|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Following Carl Lee's preliminary hearing, what does Jake attempt to do in the interview with New York Times reporter McKittrick?
(a) Get McKittrick to comprehend the complexity of murder cases.
(b) Get McKittrick to comprehend the danger and threat of the KKK.
(c) Get McKittrick to comprehend the reality of racism and other biases throughout the nation.
(d) Get McKittrick to comprehend the intricacies of this case.
2. How do the other prisoners feel about Carl Lee taking meals with the sheriff?
3. What have local attorneys dubbed Judge Omar Noose?
(a) Yogi Bear.
(b) Abe Lincoln.
(c) Mickey Mouse.
4. Sheriff Walls is concerned about Carl Lee's safety and comes up with what plan for transporting him to the courthouse on the day of his preliminary hearing?
(a) Finds a prisoner resembling Carl Lee, and has him transported in another cruiser for reporters to follow.
(b) Has Carl Lee dressed as deputy with toy gun in holster, and transported in the front seat of cruiser.
(c) Finds a prisoner resembling Carl Lee, and has him transported with Carl Lee.
(d) Finds a prisoner resembling Carl Lee, and has him break and run for reporters to chase.
5. What does Carl Lee Hailey feel his chances are, now that he has been arrested and charged with two counts of murder?
(a) He is not as confident as Jake Briance was on TV.
(b) Hoping, but not expecting much in a predominantly white community.
(c) He is confident Jake Brigance will get him off, as he did his brother.
(d) He is moderately confident, never hoping for too much.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jake Brigance view the Carl Lee Hailey murder trial?
2. How does Ozzie determine what is in the ticking case the stranger has brought to the front porch of of Jake's home?
3. What is Tonya carrying when she is kidnapped?
4. After being threatened by Marsharfsky, Jake does what?
5. What three individuals were aware of what would likely take place, so the double murder does not surprise them?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Jake's closing argument indicative of it being his finest hour?
2. What are some Jake's unethical practices?
3. What transpires as the forty Ku Klux Klansmen arrive to demonstrate at the courthouse where the black protesters held their vigil?
4. What happens between Jake and Ellen on the balcony of Jake's office?
5. Why does John Grisham open his story with such horrific detail of the crime?
6. What transpires when Clyde Acker walks for a cola at the Temple Inn?
7. How do Harry Rex's pickup and Jake's Saab reflect more than a matter of taste, but of personality?
8. What illegal methods does Ozzie employ to gain information from the suspected bomber?
9. How are the twelve jurors and two alternates sequestered?
10. Why do the jurors feel more incarcerated than safe?
This section contains 1,253 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)