|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the participants chant at the rally?
(a) "Free Carl Lee."
(b) "We will overcome."
(c) "Amazing grace."
(d) "We want a just trial."
2. Lester Hailey has driven to Clanton from where?
(c) New York.
3. What is Lester's local girlfriend's name, and how many children do they have?
(a) Iris, 1.
(b) Iris, 2.
(c) Frances, 1.
(d) Champagne, 1.
4. What does Carl Lee Hailey feel his chances are, now that he has been arrested and charged with two counts of murder?
(a) He is confident Jake Brigance will get him off, as he did his brother.
(b) He is not as confident as Jake Briance was on TV.
(c) Hoping, but not expecting much in a predominantly white community.
(d) He is moderately confident, never hoping for too much.
5. Besides getting names and addresses, what does the Ku Klux Klan advise Freddie Cobb he must do to participate?
(a) Recruit 5 or 6 members and join the KKK.
(b) Join the KKK.
(c) Join the KKK and participate in the lynching of a black person.
(d) Recruit 2 additional members and join the KKK.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take Sheriff Ozzie Walls to obtain arrest warrants for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard?
2. When Jake and Buckley are in the judge's office the day before the arraignment, what does the former request?
3. What have local attorneys dubbed Judge Omar Noose?
4. Judge Omar Noose initiated his career as a mediocre lawyer but good politician who served five terms in the state legislature, and during which he developed what?
5. What three individuals were aware of what would likely take place, so the double murder does not surprise them?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rufus Buckley make use of the illegally-obtained jury list?
2. How are the key characters depicted as selfish and self-centered in Chapter 24?
3. Why does Judge Noose impose a gag order?
4. How does John Grisham depict the events taking place in Clanton as carnival-like?
5. What does the reader learn in the dialogue between Carl Lee Hailey and Jake Brigance in Chapter 4?
6. In what ways does John Grisham show that Jake relishes being back on center stage once he is Carl Lee's attorney?
7. What are some Jake's unethical practices?
8. What does the reader learn about the Ford County District Attorney in Chapter 7?
9. What observations on the part of Jake's secretary irritate him to the point he advises her to keep quiet or quit?
10. How does Jake skillfully manipulate the media immediately following Carl Lee's arraignment?
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)