|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Jake wakes with a bad hangover, what does he do?
(a) Falls asleep at his desk.
(b) Sips a large cup of coffee and goes to work.
(c) Sits in the shower for an hour.
(d) Falls on the sofa in his office and wishes he could die.
2. How long does the preliminary hearing for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard last?
(a) 30 minutes.
(b) 20 minutes.
(c) 10 minutes.
(d) 40 minutes.
3. How old is Tonya?
4. What happens when Jake calls Lester in Chicago?
(a) Lester agrees to return to Clanton with much prompting.
(b) Lester agrees to come back, but not soon.
(c) Lester says he cannot return until the trial.
(d) Lester agrees to return to Clanton with little prompting.
5. When Bo Marsharfsky calls requesting Jake to be his local associate, what is his response?
(a) Refuses, accuses him of solicitation, and threatens to report or have him reviewed by grand jury.
(c) Says nothing, and slams the phone down.
(d) Considers it briefly, then declines.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sheriff Walls testify during the change of venue hearing?
2. During one phone call to Carla shortly prior to the trial, whose situation is Jake careful not to bring up?
3. Following Carl Lee's preliminary hearing, what does Jake attempt to do in the interview with New York Times reporter McKittrick?
4. On the morning of the day he first meets Ellen, what is it Jake recalls Carla could tell during their phone conversation the night before?
5. What does Ozzie do after he is tipped off three minutes after midnight on July 12 that the Brigance home is to be blown up within three hours?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rufus Buckley make use of the illegally-obtained jury list?
2. How does Jake skillfully manipulate the media immediately following Carl Lee's arraignment?
3. Who does Billy Ray Cobb's brother, Freddie, approach in seeking revenge, and what is the result?
4. How does John Grisham depict the events taking place in Clanton as carnival-like?
5. What happens between Jake and Ellen on the balcony of Jake's office?
6. What does the reader learn about the Ford County District Attorney in Chapter 7?
7. How are the twelve jurors and two alternates sequestered?
8. Beyond the cost of a human life and loss for loved ones and associates, what are some of the significant ramifications of Tim Nunley's death?
9. In what ways does John Grisham show that Jake relishes being back on center stage once he is Carl Lee's attorney?
10. What issues did Lucien face in bringing thousands of black protesters to Clanton?
This section contains 1,213 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)