|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Sunday after Jake gets fired, he and Carla skip church and take Hanna where?
(a) To a zoo.
(c) Kite flying.
(d) On a picnic.
2. What have local attorneys dubbed Judge Omar Noose?
(a) Abe Lincoln.
(b) Yogi Bear.
(d) Mickey Mouse.
3. Sheriff Walls is concerned about Carl Lee's safety and comes up with what plan for transporting him to the courthouse on the day of his preliminary hearing?
(a) Finds a prisoner resembling Carl Lee, and has him transported with Carl Lee.
(b) Has Carl Lee dressed as deputy with toy gun in holster, and transported in the front seat of cruiser.
(c) Finds a prisoner resembling Carl Lee, and has him transported in another cruiser for reporters to follow.
(d) Finds a prisoner resembling Carl Lee, and has him break and run for reporters to chase.
4. When a Memphis TV crew requests to be allowed to film the trial, what does Judge Willard Bullard do?
(a) Instructs the county courtroom deputy, Mr. Pate, to throw them out.
(b) Grants them permission so long as they do not interfere with proceedings.
(c) Advises they may film, but it will all be reviewed by the county prosecutor.
(d) Advises they may only film inside the courtroom, they may not broadcast.
5. Lester tells Carl Lee what when he visits his cell?
(a) He needs to leave, but will be back for his trial.
(b) He has to leave now.
(c) He will remain as long as is needed.
(d) He needs to leave and will return when he is able.
Short Answer Questions
1. Carla and Jake, raised as Baptist and Methodist respectively, have agreed to become what?
2. Several days following his being rehired by Carl Lee, Jake is summoned to Lucien's home to meet whom?
3. Why does Lucien advise Jake he needs to seek a change of venue?
4. What is the temperature at Reverend Agee's rally?
5. After Jake tells Ethel to shut up or quit when she informs him about his $4,000 in unpaid bills, less than $1,900 in the bank, and his failure to see clients or drop off promised files, what does she do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Judge Noose impose a gag order?
2. What observations on the part of Jake's secretary irritate him to the point he advises her to keep quiet or quit?
3. Why does the name of Clyde Sisco cause some stir during Jake's jury strategy team session in Chapter 29?
4. In what ways does John Grisham show that Jake relishes being back on center stage once he is Carl Lee's attorney?
5. What is Ellen Roark's response to Jake when he quizzes her on her credentials?
6. How does K.T. "Cat" Bruster's view of truth and justice compare with Carl Lee's?
7. Why does a convoy of buses enter Clanton?
8. How does John Grisham depict the events taking place in Clanton as carnival-like?
9. What are the positions taken by Jake and Carla when he suggests he will contact Lester, Carl Lee's brother, after the latter fires him?
10. What do readers learn about Jake Brigance in Chapter 8?
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)