|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Ozzie summons Jake to meet with Lester and Carl Lee and Carl Lee rehires Jake because his brother "wants me to," what does Carl Lee say?
(a) Carl Lee states he does not trust Jake, but trusts the Shark less.
(b) Carl Lee states the Sheriff has convinced him Jake is a good choice.
(c) Carl Lee persists he is only following Lester's request.
(d) Carl Lee admits he trusts Jake, and wants his services.
2. What is Clanton doing to prepare for the national spotlight a week before the Carl Lee trial?
(a) Stray cats, dogs, other pets are being collected by Animal Control.
(b) New parking meters are being installed.
(c) Public facilities are being cleaned and rejuvenated.
(d) Repainting stripes on Main Street, parking spaces, and Courthouse signs.
3. Lester tells Carl Lee what when he visits his cell?
(a) He has to leave now.
(b) He needs to leave, but will be back for his trial.
(c) He needs to leave and will return when he is able.
(d) He will remain as long as is needed.
4. After being threatened by Marsharfsky, Jake does what?
(a) Lights a cheap cigar, and writes a change of venue request.
(b) Lights an expensive Cuban cigar, and writes a change of venue request.
(c) Lights an expensive Caribbean cigar, and writes a complaint regarding Marsharfsky.
(d) Lights a cheap cigar, and writes a complaint regarding Marsharfsky.
5. Where is the Ku Klux Klan meeting when Freddie Cobb, Billy Ray's brother, is stipulating to the Imperial Wizard that that they must get involved?
(a) In a warehouse in an industrial park, late at night.
(b) In a barn on an abandoned farm, 20 miles outside Vicksburg.
(c) Deep in the woods of Nettles County, 230 miles south of Clanton.
(d) Deep in the woods of Durham County, 125 miles northeast of Clanton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Rufus Buckley's political ambitions lead him to?
2. What have local attorneys dubbed Judge Omar Noose?
3. After her refusal to give the juror list to Jake, what does Jean Gillespie do when he reminds her of previously helping with her family and her reelection?
4. What is Carla's reply when Jake asks her if she would convict Carl Lee Hailey for murdering Billy Ray Cobb if she were a jury member?
5. Carla and Jake, raised as Baptist and Methodist respectively, have agreed to become what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do readers learn about Jake Brigance in Chapter 8?
2. In what ways does John Grisham show that Jake relishes being back on center stage once he is Carl Lee's attorney?
3. How are the key characters depicted as selfish and self-centered in Chapter 24?
4. Why does the name of Clyde Sisco cause some stir during Jake's jury strategy team session in Chapter 29?
5. Why does John Grisham open his story with such horrific detail of the crime?
6. What is Ellen Roark's response to Jake when he quizzes her on her credentials?
7. What are the positions taken by Jake and Carla when he suggests he will contact Lester, Carl Lee's brother, after the latter fires him?
8. What sort of a lawman is Sheriff Ozzie Walls?
9. Why is Carl Lee reluctant to rehire Jake?
10. What transpires between Carl Lee and Deputy Looney while the latter is still hospitalized, and how does Jake respond?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)