|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides getting names and addresses, what does the Ku Klux Klan advise Freddie Cobb he must do to participate?
(a) Recruit 5 or 6 members and join the KKK.
(b) Join the KKK.
(c) Recruit 2 additional members and join the KKK.
(d) Join the KKK and participate in the lynching of a black person.
2. Why does Carl Lee fire Jake?
(a) Jake could not get him out on bond.
(b) Carla has received more threats and asks him to.
(c) Cat Bruster convinces him to do so.
(d) He has an argument with Jake.
3. Lester Hailey has driven to Clanton from where?
(a) New York.
4. Where did K.T. "Cat" Bruster lose his eye?
(a) Tenements of Memphis.
(b) Back alleys of Chicago.
(c) Deserts of Afghanistan.
(d) Rice patties of Vietnam.
5. What does Tonya, who suffers from endless nightmares and is certain that her attackers are after her, insist on?
(a) That one of her brothers sleep outside her bedroom, and the other sit under her window.
(b) That Deputy Willie Hastings, Tonya's uncle, sit under her bedroom window.
(c) That every light in the home stay on all night, and her brothers sleep outside her door.
(d) That her mother sleep with her, and her brothers sleep outside her bedroom door.
Short Answer Questions
1. What have local attorneys dubbed Judge Omar Noose?
2. Why does the name of Clyde Sisco cause some stir during the meeting of Jake's jury strategy team?
3. How long does it take Sheriff Ozzie Walls to obtain arrest warrants for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard?
4. How have Lucien and Harry Rex advised Jake regarding selection of women for the jury?
5. When Jake Brigance confides in Sheriff Walls that Carl Lee Hailey may be planning the murder of Cobb and Willard, what do they speculate about how they might feel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Billy Ray Cobb's brother, Freddie, approach in seeking revenge, and what is the result?
2. What do readers learn about Jake Brigance in Chapter 8?
3. How does John Grisham depict the events taking place in Clanton as carnival-like?
4. What transpires between Carl Lee and Deputy Looney while the latter is still hospitalized, and how does Jake respond?
5. How does K.T. "Cat" Bruster's view of truth and justice compare with Carl Lee's?
6. In Chapter 10, what does Lucien advise Jake his best courses of action are in Carl Lee's defense?
7. What does the reader learn about the Ford County District Attorney in Chapter 7?
8. What are some of the efforts made in Clanton in preparation for the trial?
9. What sort of a lawyer is Jake Brigance?
10. Why does Judge Noose impose a gag order?
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)