|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many murder trials has Jake Brigance served as the defense counsel prior to the preliminary hearing for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard?
2. After Jake wakes with a bad hangover, what does he do?
(a) Sits in the shower for an hour.
(b) Falls asleep at his desk.
(c) Sips a large cup of coffee and goes to work.
(d) Falls on the sofa in his office and wishes he could die.
3. Where is Tonya seated in the interview with Jake and the Hailey family?
(a) Seated in her daddy's lap.
(b) Seated in her mama's lap.
(c) Seated in her Uncle Lester's lap.
(d) She is afraid and is not present.
4. What is Jake Brigance accustomed to doing on his office balcony?
(a) Have a cup of coffee.
(b) Have a shot of quality bourbon.
(c) Play his harmonica.
(d) Light a cigar.
5. Jake's friend Harry Rex Vonner tells him the grand jury voted how on the Hailey indictment?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tonya restrained with while being raped?
2. The Hailey indictment is not mentioned on TV until a brief 10:00 p.m. news segment, so what is Jake's response?
3. A convoy of how many buses carrying elderly blacks converge at the courthouse where Reverend Agee is holding a rally?
4. Lester Hailey has driven to Clanton from where?
5. What is Jake's view of insurance companies and their lawyers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What transpires between Carl Lee and Deputy Looney while the latter is still hospitalized, and how does Jake respond?
2. What are some of the efforts made in Clanton in preparation for the trial?
3. Why does John Grisham open his story with such horrific detail of the crime?
4. In what ways does John Grisham show that Jake relishes being back on center stage once he is Carl Lee's attorney?
5. Why does the name of Clyde Sisco cause some stir during Jake's jury strategy team session in Chapter 29?
6. What is a significant plot development in Chapter 5?
7. What sort of relationship exists between Sheriff Ozzie Walls and Jake Brigance?
8. Why does a convoy of buses enter Clanton?
9. What is the trajectory of Judge Omar Noose's career that has led him to his current status?
10. How does John Grisham depict the events taking place in Clanton as carnival-like?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)