|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Carla's reply when Jake asks her if she would convict Carl Lee Hailey for murdering Billy Ray Cobb if she were a jury member?
(a) She could not convict.
(b) She would have to convict.
(c) She would have to convict of a lesser charge.
(d) It would be hard to convict.
2. When a Memphis TV crew requests to be allowed to film the trial, what does Judge Willard Bullard do?
(a) Advises they may film, but it will all be reviewed by the county prosecutor.
(b) Grants them permission so long as they do not interfere with proceedings.
(c) Instructs the county courtroom deputy, Mr. Pate, to throw them out.
(d) Advises they may only film inside the courtroom, they may not broadcast.
3. The Hailey indictment is not mentioned on TV until a brief 10:00 p.m. news segment, so what is Jake's response?
(a) He does some paperwork.
(b) He orders pizza.
(c) He laughs.
(d) He yells angily and tosses a sofa pillow at the TV.
4. Who has received threatening phone calls both at home and in the office?
(a) Rufus Buckley.
(b) Ethel Twitty.
(c) Gwen Hailey.
(d) Percy Bullard.
5. What are the six capital defense attorneys of the NAACP known as?
(a) The "death squad."
(b) The "defense squad."
(c) The "last chance squad."
(d) The "always win team."
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lucien advise Jake he needs to seek a change of venue?
2. How old is Tonya?
3. How long does the preliminary hearing for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard last?
4. What does Carl Lee Hailey feel his chances are, now that he has been arrested and charged with two counts of murder?
5. Where does Ellen sleep after the jury strategy session is over and Jake is followed home by Deputy Nesbit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sort of a lawyer is Jake Brigance?
2. What does the reader learn was key to the jury being swayed to finding an innocent by reason of insanity verdict?
3. Despite Jake's seeking a change of venue again, what are the reasons Jake would prefer the trial continue in Ford County?
4. What happens when Ellen first arrives at Jake's office on the Sunday the National Guard arrives?
5. What sort of an attorney is Harry Rex Vonner?
6. How does John Grisham depict the events taking place in Clanton as carnival-like?
7. What transpires as the forty Ku Klux Klansmen arrive to demonstrate at the courthouse where the black protesters held their vigil?
8. How is Jake's closing argument indicative of it being his finest hour?
9. What offer does Lucien make to Jake regarding the jury that he objects to?
10. Who does Billy Ray Cobb's brother, Freddie, approach in seeking revenge, and what is the result?
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)