|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Tonya seated in the interview with Jake and the Hailey family?
(a) She is afraid and is not present.
(b) Seated in her Uncle Lester's lap.
(c) Seated in her mama's lap.
(d) Seated in her daddy's lap.
2. What is Clanton doing to prepare for the national spotlight a week before the Carl Lee trial?
(a) Repainting stripes on Main Street, parking spaces, and Courthouse signs.
(b) New parking meters are being installed.
(c) Stray cats, dogs, other pets are being collected by Animal Control.
(d) Public facilities are being cleaned and rejuvenated.
3. Where did K.T. "Cat" Bruster lose his eye?
(a) Rice patties of Vietnam.
(b) Back alleys of Chicago.
(c) Deserts of Afghanistan.
(d) Tenements of Memphis.
4. Why does the name of Clyde Sisco cause some stir during the meeting of Jake's jury strategy team?
(a) Lucien says Sisco owes him, as he got him off of prior charges.
(b) Lucien states Sisco is one of few whites at Tank's Tonk.
(c) Lucien tells how he "bought" Sisco in a previous case.
(d) Lucien says Sisco is white, but has a daughter with a black girlfriend.
5. What does Judge Bullard do to calm his nerves?
(a) Listens to classical music.
(b) Drinks vodka.
(c) Watches TV soaps at lunchtime.
(d) Drinks moonshine whiskey.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the Ku Klux Klan meeting when Freddie Cobb, Billy Ray's brother, is stipulating to the Imperial Wizard that that they must get involved?
2. Why does Jake threaten to fire his secretary Ethel?
3. On his way back to Mississippi, what is Lester doing?
4. During one phone call to Carla shortly prior to the trial, whose situation is Jake careful not to bring up?
5. The Hailey indictment is not mentioned on TV until a brief 10:00 p.m. news segment, so what is Jake's response?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sort of a lawyer is Jake Brigance?
2. What transpires between Carl Lee and Deputy Looney while the latter is still hospitalized, and how does Jake respond?
3. Why does Judge Noose impose a gag order?
4. How does Jake skillfully manipulate the media immediately following Carl Lee's arraignment?
5. Why is Carl Lee reluctant to rehire Jake?
6. Despite Jake's seeking a change of venue again, what are the reasons Jake would prefer the trial continue in Ford County?
7. What is the trajectory of Judge Omar Noose's career that has led him to his current status?
8. In what ways does John Grisham show that Jake relishes being back on center stage once he is Carl Lee's attorney?
9. Why does a convoy of buses enter Clanton?
10. Who does Billy Ray Cobb's brother, Freddie, approach in seeking revenge, and what is the result?
This section contains 1,189 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)