|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Following his motion to withdraw on Friday, Jake does what?
(a) Slips into the Court Clerk's office and quickly surveys Carl Lee's file.
(b) Confirms with his Court Clerk contact that there is nothing new in Carl Lee's file since withdrawal.
(c) Calls Marsharfsky to become his local associate in Carl Lee case.
(d) Advises with Lucien regarding the current status of Carl Lee case.
2. What does Sheriff Walls testify during the change of venue hearing?
(a) Most Ford County citizens know most of the rape and murder facts, and have not made their minds up.
(b) The majority of Ford County citizens know all the rape and murder facts, and have their minds made up.
(c) Virtually all Ford County citizens don't know all the rape and murder facts, but have their minds made up.
(d) There are not 12 Ford County citizens that don't have all the rape and murder facts, and their minds are made up.
3. Who has received threatening phone calls both at home and in the office?
(a) Gwen Hailey.
(b) Ethel Twitty.
(c) Rufus Buckley.
(d) Percy Bullard.
4. When Jake and Buckley are in the judge's office the day before the arraignment, what does the former request?
(a) 120 days to prepare.
(b) 60 days to prepare.
(c) 90 days to prepare.
(d) 180 days to prepare.
5. How long does it take Sheriff Ozzie Walls to obtain arrest warrants for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard?
(a) 2 hours.
(b) 12 hours.
(c) 1 day.
(d) 20 minutes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Carl Lee compare killing the white men who raped his daughter with killing the "gooks" in Vietnam?
2. During one phone call to Carla shortly prior to the trial, whose situation is Jake careful not to bring up?
3. Days before the trial, Gwen Hailey calls Jake and informs him she is behind on house payments, the utilities might be shut off, and has only received how much from the church council?
4. Who is Rocky Childers?
5. On his way back to Mississippi, what is Lester doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does K.T. "Cat" Bruster's view of truth and justice compare with Carl Lee's?
2. Why does the name of Clyde Sisco cause some stir during Jake's jury strategy team session in Chapter 29?
3. What is the trajectory of Judge Omar Noose's career that has led him to his current status?
4. How does John Grisham depict the events taking place in Clanton as carnival-like?
5. Why does John Grisham open his story with such horrific detail of the crime?
6. What is Ellen Roark's response to Jake when he quizzes her on her credentials?
7. What are the positions taken by Jake and Carla when he suggests he will contact Lester, Carl Lee's brother, after the latter fires him?
8. What does the reader learn about the Ford County District Attorney in Chapter 7?
9. In what ways does John Grisham show that Jake relishes being back on center stage once he is Carl Lee's attorney?
10. What sort of an attorney is Harry Rex Vonner?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)