|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the jurors arrive the next morning for further deliberation, how are they taken from the bus to the courthouse?
(a) By National Guardsmen through the crowd.
(b) By Ozzie and National Guardsmen through the crowd.
(c) Through a back entrance using two vans instead of a bus.
(d) By deputies through the crowd.
2. During the closing statement to the jury, what does Jake say that must be withdrawn?
(a) A murder victim is released, and a rape victim deals with it the rest of her life.
(b) A child cannot understand the reason for the attack.
(c) Tonya will never bear children.
(d) In Carl Lee's shoes, Jake would blow Cobb's and Willard's heads off.
3. When Lucien gets the opportunity to discuss Sisco's offer with Jake, what does he state the cost will be?
(a) $25,000 for a hung jury, $50,000 for an acquittal.
(b) $50,000 for an acquittal is the only offer.
(c) $2,500 for a hung jury, $5,000 for an acquittal.
(d) $250,000 for a hung jury, $500,000 for an acquital.
4. On Monday morning, Clanton is in "trial mode" as the Klan is happy having burned down Jake's home and what else?
(a) They sense victory with the attack on Ellen Roark.
(b) They sense victoy with the all-white jury.
(c) They sense victory with Jake not coming to court on Friday.
(d) They sense victory following the exposure of Bass.
5. Where does Deputy Nesbit take Ellen to sleep the night before the trial opens?
(b) The Clanton Inn.
(c) She stays at Jakes office suite.
(d) The Sheriff's Departmment.
6. On Saturday morning following the shooting attack he survived, Jake surmises that both Lucien and Bass were drunk yesterday and driven home by Deputy Nesbit, and while he drinks a Bloody Mary, Jake prays what?
(a) That nothing worse takes place.
(b) That Dr. Bass is sober for court.
(c) That his motion for a mistrial will be accepted.
(d) That Carl Lee can get off.
7. What questions does Jake ask of Cobb's and Willard's respective mothers during cross-examination?
(a) How many convictions did their sons have respectively?
(b) Jake opted not to cross-examine.
(c) Has either been convicted of rape?
(d) How many other children their sons raped, was Cobb convicted of selling marijuana?
8. Subsequent to Bass's testimony, what does Jake do when the lawyers are summoned to the judge's chambers?
(a) Stops in a restroom enroute and vomits.
(b) Grabs a shot of bourbon from Lucien's pocket flask.
(c) Passes Carl Lee without being able to look at him.
(d) Has Harry Rex go back to the office and grab a file.
9. How many black people does Lucien plan to bring to the courthouse and chant "Free Carl Lee"?
10. When the trial resumes following the brief recess, why does Jake decline to question Rodeheaver?
(a) He has never won an argument with an expert.
(b) He rarely wins arguments with experts.
(c) He often wins arguments with experts, but is not confident this time.
(d) He has only once won an argument with an expert.
11. Who has previously witnessed a KKK march in Clanton?
(a) Those alive in the 30's.
(b) One march in the very early 60's.
(c) Only some very elderly.
(d) No one now alive.
12. During the night of the second trial date, Stump Sisson dies, bringing the number of deaths related to Tonya's rape to how many?
13. What are the bored jurors doing by the evening of the third day after the phones have been removed from their rooms?
(a) Reading magazines, buying sodas from a machine, and playing cards.
(b) Swimming in the motel pool, reading magazines, and playing cards.
(c) Cooling off in the motel pool, drinking sodas, and playing cards.
(d) Buying sodas from a machine, playing cards, and discussing the case.
14. Although Jake wished he had not worn ostrich skin boots, Lucien argues what?
(a) The boots went well with Bass's suit
(b) Ostrich skin boots reflected style.
(c) The boots were expensive and showed class.
(d) The jury would relate to boots.
15. What happens to Ellen on her way to Oxford on the evening of the shooting?
(a) She has a motor vehicle accident.
(b) She is intentionally run off the road by a sedan.
(c) She is pulled over by a vehicle with flashing blue lights.
(d) She is intentionally run off the road by a pickup truck.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some of the patrons in the Coffee Shop speculate what about a reporter from the Channel 4 News?
2. While Jake and Ellen are working on various issues of the case, whom do they invite to join them on the balcony of the law office?
3. Ellen explains that it will be impossible to keep what from the jury?
4. What is the jury's decision?
5. Who is wounded when Jake is escorted from his office to the courthouse on Friday morning, the fifth day?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)