|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What questions does Jake ask of Cobb's and Willard's respective mothers during cross-examination?
(a) How many convictions did their sons have respectively?
(b) How many other children their sons raped, was Cobb convicted of selling marijuana?
(c) Jake opted not to cross-examine.
(d) Has either been convicted of rape?
2. During the trial on the fifth day, Lucien avoids eye contact with Sisco for what reason?
(a) He wants to barter with Sisco on the price.
(b) He knows a wink or nod will consummate the deal.
(c) He is confident there is a good chance for victory.
(d) He knows there is no way to get the figure Sisco has set.
3. Why is Carl Lee aghast when the jury is finally seated?
(a) It is all-white, 12 women and no men, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
(b) It is all-white, 11 women and 1 man, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
(c) It is all-white, 9 women and 3 men, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
(d) It is all-white, 10 women and 2 men, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
4. How many black people does Lucien plan to bring to the courthouse and chant "Free Carl Lee"?
5. Ellen explains that it will be impossible to keep what from the jury?
(a) The gory pictures of Willard and Cobb's bodies.
(b) The fact that Deputy Looney was shot and lost a leg.
(c) The M-16 automatic rifle.
(d) Carl Lee's apologizing to Deputy Looney.
6. Who has previously witnessed a KKK march in Clanton?
(a) One march in the very early 60's.
(b) No one now alive.
(c) Only some very elderly.
(d) Those alive in the 30's.
7. What happens when Carl Lee opens a courtroom window with a small balcony and the deputy nods?
(a) Carl Lee steps onto the balcony, and can see KKK on their "turf."
(b) Carl Lee steps onto the balcony, waves, and the crowd surges.
(c) Carl Lee, Tonya, and the boys step onto the balcony, wave, and the crowd surges.
(d) Carl Lee has second thoughts for safety, and watches inside from the window.
8. Where does Deputy Nesbit take Ellen to sleep the night before the trial opens?
(a) The Clanton Inn.
(b) She stays at Jakes office suite.
(d) The Sheriff's Departmment.
9. Despite the urging of his friends, Jake is determined to do what?
(a) Go to see Ellen Roark and Woody Maclenvale.
(b) Fly to be with Carla and Hanna.
(c) Stay in town a few days while he has the media in palm of his hands.
(d) Take time off to be by himself to think things out.
10. The night of Stump Sisson's death, the KKK meet in the woods, pledge revenge, and induct how many new Klan members from Ford County?
11. Ellen has done a masterful job of the M'Naghten brief, summarizing what into seventy-five pages directly applicable to the Hailey trial?
(a) A half century of legal history.
(b) A century and a half of legal history.
(c) A century of legal history.
(d) A quarter century of legal history.
12. At one point, talk amongst the jurors gradually leads toward a guilty verdict, based essentially on what?
(a) Rape being worthy of life, but not death.
(b) Carl Lee having used an illegal firearm.
(c) Carl Lee had an option to await the outcome of Cobb's and Willard's trial.
(d) Carl Lee's six days of planning and premeditation.
13. Ellen has done a fine job preparing the doctor, including a twenty-five-page dialogue of the questions Jake will ask, and the answers for whom?
(a) Dr. T. W. Bass, retired podiatrist.
(b) Dr. W. T. Bass, retired psychologist.
(c) Dr. W. T. Bass, retired psychiatrist.
(d) Dr. W. T. Blast, retired pediatrician.
14. Who aids Ellen following her plight?
(a) Deputy Nesbitt.
(d) "Mickey Mouse."
15. Subsequent to Bass's testimony, what does Jake do when the lawyers are summoned to the judge's chambers?
(a) Stops in a restroom enroute and vomits.
(b) Passes Carl Lee without being able to look at him.
(c) Has Harry Rex go back to the office and grab a file.
(d) Grabs a shot of bourbon from Lucien's pocket flask.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the jury is impaneled, Jake, Harry Rex, and Ellen are in agreement about what?
2. Do the jurors and alternates attempt to discuss the case in violation of the judge's instructions?
3. When a juror is jumped by thugs at the Temple Inn, how is he threatened?
4. Some of the patrons in the Coffee Shop speculate what about a reporter from the Channel 4 News?
5. What are the bored jurors doing by the evening of the third day after the phones have been removed from their rooms?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)