|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Deputy Looney describe Carl Lee?
(a) "He's a killer. He's worthy of death."
(b) "He's a hero. Give him a trophy."
(c) "For what he did, he deserves life."
(d) "It was an accident. But he deserves some prison time."
2. What questions does Jake ask of Cobb's and Willard's respective mothers during cross-examination?
(a) How many convictions did their sons have respectively?
(b) How many other children their sons raped, was Cobb convicted of selling marijuana?
(c) Has either been convicted of rape?
(d) Jake opted not to cross-examine.
3. When the jurors arrive the next morning for further deliberation, how are they taken from the bus to the courthouse?
(a) By Ozzie and National Guardsmen through the crowd.
(b) By National Guardsmen through the crowd.
(c) By deputies through the crowd.
(d) Through a back entrance using two vans instead of a bus.
4. How many black people does Lucien plan to bring to the courthouse and chant "Free Carl Lee"?
5. As the riot erupts, what is each Klansman armed with?
(a) A knife.
(b) A nightstick.
(c) A broken bottle.
(d) A handgun.
6. Who does Jake learn Wanda Womack lives with?
(a) Mack Loyd Crowell.
(b) Clyde Sisco.
(c) Willie Hastings.
(d) Percy Bullard.
7. What does Wanda Womack ask the jury panel to consider to convince them to rule not guilty by reason of insanity?
(a) Consider their reaction if their daughter was attacked and beaten.
(b) Imagine Tonya as a white girl attacked by two drunk black men.
(c) Consider true justice for a father, not the legal system.
(d) Consider what the crowd outside will do if he is found guilty.
8. What happens when Carl Lee opens a courtroom window with a small balcony and the deputy nods?
(a) Carl Lee has second thoughts for safety, and watches inside from the window.
(b) Carl Lee steps onto the balcony, and can see KKK on their "turf."
(c) Carl Lee steps onto the balcony, waves, and the crowd surges.
(d) Carl Lee, Tonya, and the boys step onto the balcony, wave, and the crowd surges.
9. While the trio is at lunch on the day of opening statements, and Jake is in the restroom, Ellen describes Jake as the best she has seen, but qualifies that view how?
(a) "Considering his law school."
(b) "Considering how nervous he is."
(c) "For his age."
(d) "Given his experience."
10. During the closing statement to the jury, what does Jake say that must be withdrawn?
(a) A child cannot understand the reason for the attack.
(b) A murder victim is released, and a rape victim deals with it the rest of her life.
(c) Tonya will never bear children.
(d) In Carl Lee's shoes, Jake would blow Cobb's and Willard's heads off.
11. At 5:00 a.m. Harry Rex arrives with biscuit sandwiches sent by Jake's favorite waitress at the Coffee Shop, and he discusses with Jake:
(a) Prospects for a temporary insanity plea.
(b) Potential jurors once again.
(c) Ellen Roark's credentials.
(d) His motion for change of venue.
12. Where does Judge Noose advise the jurors they will be sequestered?
(a) They will be sequestered in the courthouse with National Guard security.
(b) In the Clanton Inn on Main Street.
(c) They will not be sequestered, but are not to discuss the case with anyone.
(d) In a motel outside Clanton.
13. When the trial resumes following the brief recess, why does Jake decline to question Rodeheaver?
(a) He has never won an argument with an expert.
(b) He often wins arguments with experts, but is not confident this time.
(c) He has only once won an argument with an expert.
(d) He rarely wins arguments with experts.
14. The night of Stump Sisson's death, the KKK meet in the woods, pledge revenge, and induct how many new Klan members from Ford County?
15. On the evening before the trial begins, Ellen arrives at Jake's office suite carrying a thick, professional brief regarding the rape admissibility issue and begins to do what?
(a) Provide an overview of the issue.
(b) Make copies of the brief.
(c) Make margaritas.
(d) Make coffee.
Short Answer Questions
1. On Monday, during the fifteen minute recess after Rodeheaver's testimony, Jake runs up to the law library where Harry Rex is already, and he assures Jake of what?
2. Ellen explains that it will be impossible to keep what from the jury?
3. At one point, talk amongst the jurors gradually leads toward a guilty verdict, based essentially on what?
4. Subsequent to Bass's testimony, what does Jake do when the lawyers are summoned to the judge's chambers?
5. During the night of the second trial date, Stump Sisson dies, bringing the number of deaths related to Tonya's rape to how many?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)