|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ministers start a parade of black protesters behind a fifteen-foot banner that reads what?
(a) "Carl Lee Was Right."
(b) "Free Carl Lee."
(c) "Tonya Is The Victim."
(d) "Free Carl Lee Hailey."
2. What is Wanda Womack's position?
(a) She would sit until Christmas, but never give in to a guilty verdict.
(b) She would only vote guilty if everyone else did.
(c) She did not feel right about a guilty vote, but would if necessary.
(d) She is concerned for the safety of everyone and is not sure how to vote.
3. Who do the Northern Mississippi black residents recognize as the single white radical NAACP attorney in their region?
(a) Lucien Wilbanks.
(b) Norman Reinfeld.
(c) Sheldon Roark.
(d) Jake Brigance.
4. How does Carla learn about the all-white jurors in the case?
(a) She learns about them during a TV newsbroadcast.
(b) She hears about them during a radio news broadcast.
(c) She learns about them during a phone call with Jake.
(d) She reads about them in the newspaper.
5. As thousands of black protesters congregate outside the courthouse and the jury assembles, Foreman Acker reflects on what?
(a) How many others had, like him, been threatened.
(b) How the other members of the jury will be voting.
(c) Where the thugs who jumped him are from.
(d) If he should report the threat to Sheriff Walls.
6. Do the jurors and alternates attempt to discuss the case in violation of the judge's instructions?
(b) Yes, in same-sex pairs while roomed at the Temple Inn.
(c) Yes, on the bus enroute to the Temple Inn.
(d) Yes, on a pay-phone in the Temple Inn lobby to family.
7. Jake knows Judge Noose will feel how about the National Guard being called in?
(a) Wishing he had been consulted, but not upset.
(b) Glad that another measure to ensure safety was taken.
(c) Understanding it is the mayor's job to ensure city safety, not the judge's.
(d) Furious that he was not consulted.
8. Where do Lucien, Harry Rex, and Jake go after talking with Wanda Womack and Mack Loyd Crowell?
(a) Jake's office.
(b) The Lake.
(c) The Hailey's.
9. On Monday morning, Clanton is in "trial mode" as the Klan is happy having burned down Jake's home and what else?
(a) They sense victory with Jake not coming to court on Friday.
(b) They sense victory following the exposure of Bass.
(c) They sense victoy with the all-white jury.
(d) They sense victory with the attack on Ellen Roark.
10. Although Jake wished he had not worn ostrich skin boots, Lucien argues what?
(a) The boots were expensive and showed class.
(b) The boots went well with Bass's suit
(c) The jury would relate to boots.
(d) Ostrich skin boots reflected style.
11. How does Jake feel when a patron in the Coffee Shop notes that the black protesters must frighten the jurors?
(a) He hopes they do.
(b) He hopes there will be no further bloodshed.
(c) He hopes they don't.
(d) He is uncertain.
12. As the Mississippi Imperial Wizard of the Klan speaks from the podium, there are 40 Klansmen marching at the courthouse and how many black people?
(a) Black people outnumber the Klan 2-1.
(b) Black people outnumber the Klan 5-1.
(c) Black people outnumber the Klan 15-1.
(d) Black people outnumber the Klan 10-1.
13. On Friday, day five of the trial, Ozzie and Deputy Nesbit wake Jake before 5:00 a.m. to inform him "Mickey Mouse" has reported what?
(a) The Klan plan to bomb his office.
(b) The Klan plan again to blow up Jake's home.
(c) The Klan plan to shoot him and Carl Lee in court today.
(d) The Klan plan to kill Jake on the day of Stump Sisson's funeral.
14. When Murphy, the janitor, is called as a witness of the state on the afternoon of the fourth day, it is a gut-wrenching ordeal for what reason?
(a) He was close to Willard, and had a difficult time keeping his composure.
(b) He was afraid of being questioned, and was nearly in tears for an hour.
(c) He stutters and spits in response to the questions for an hour.
(d) He was close to Cobb, and had a difficult time keeping his composure.
15. How many black people does Lucien plan to bring to the courthouse and chant "Free Carl Lee"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jake recognize Gerald Ault as a supporter of black people?
2. Early Sunday morning, the day before the trial opens, Jake is awakened on the law office couch by what?
3. Back at his office, what does Jake drink while his friends drink margaritas?
4. Buckley's opening statement runs an hour and a half, and Jake's opening is how long?
5. How is the riot quelled?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)