|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lucien's advice to Jake regarding fear?
(a) He should welcome it, as jurors are afraid as well.
(b) Take a healty shot of bourbon to calm his nerves.
(c) Jake has prepared well, and so he need not worry.
(d) Put it out of his mind and concentrate on legal matters.
2. As the riot erupts, what is each Klansman armed with?
(a) A handgun.
(b) A nightstick.
(c) A broken bottle.
(d) A knife.
3. Given the National Guard activity the day prior to the trial opening, Jake advises Ellen he will be forced to renew his plea for change of venue, ask for a mistrial, and then be certain of what?
(a) The record shows that the trial is being held in "a three-ring circus."
(b) A fair trial is not being held.
(c) The trial is being held in violation of Mississippi State Statues.
(d) Judge Noose is clearly not taking an impartial position.
4. Looking out a window at the black protesters, Barry Acker realizes a guilty verdict will bring a riot and what will transpire?
(a) They will be not be injured.
(b) They will reach the vans safely.
(c) They will not reach the bus safely.
(d) They will make it out of town with the help of additional National Guard troops.
5. Who likely holds the outcome of the Carl Lee trial in the palm of his hand?
(a) The Ford County Klan leader.
6. On Saturday morning following the shooting attack he survived, Jake surmises that both Lucien and Bass were drunk yesterday and driven home by Deputy Nesbit, and while he drinks a Bloody Mary, Jake prays what?
(a) That nothing worse takes place.
(b) That his motion for a mistrial will be accepted.
(c) That Dr. Bass is sober for court.
(d) That Carl Lee can get off.
7. When Lucien gets the opportunity to discuss Sisco's offer with Jake, what does he state the cost will be?
(a) $50,000 for an acquittal is the only offer.
(b) $250,000 for a hung jury, $500,000 for an acquital.
(c) $25,000 for a hung jury, $50,000 for an acquittal.
(d) $2,500 for a hung jury, $5,000 for an acquittal.
8. As the Mississippi Imperial Wizard of the Klan speaks from the podium, there are 40 Klansmen marching at the courthouse and how many black people?
(a) Black people outnumber the Klan 2-1.
(b) Black people outnumber the Klan 15-1.
(c) Black people outnumber the Klan 5-1.
(d) Black people outnumber the Klan 10-1.
9. On Friday, day five of the trial, Ozzie and Deputy Nesbit wake Jake before 5:00 a.m. to inform him "Mickey Mouse" has reported what?
(a) The Klan plan to kill Jake on the day of Stump Sisson's funeral.
(b) The Klan plan to bomb his office.
(c) The Klan plan again to blow up Jake's home.
(d) The Klan plan to shoot him and Carl Lee in court today.
10. On day two of the proceedings, how does the morning begin and where are all the "players" situated?
(a) Muggy and overcast, with some diligently taking places on the front lawn.
(b) Hot and sunny, with all diligently taking places on the front lawn.
(c) Drizzling and warm, with many diligently taking places on the front lawn.
(d) Breezy, with even more than before taking spots on the front lawn.
11. Where does Judge Noose advise the jurors they will be sequestered?
(a) They will be sequestered in the courthouse with National Guard security.
(b) In a motel outside Clanton.
(c) In the Clanton Inn on Main Street.
(d) They will not be sequestered, but are not to discuss the case with anyone.
12. Early Sunday morning, the day before the trial opens, Jake is awakened on the law office couch by what?
(a) Sounds of the National Guard taking position in Clanton Square.
(b) Ellen knocking persistently on the office door.
(c) Large, national TV vehicles vying for best position around Clanton Square.
(d) The telephone continuosly ringing.
13. Where does Reverend Agee spend his time during the trial?
(a) Running demonstrations.
(b) Seated behind Hailey's.
(c) Giving sermons outside court.
(d) Split between being seated in the row behind the Hailey's, and running demonstrations.
14. Why is Carl Lee aghast when the jury is finally seated?
(a) It is all-white, 9 women and 3 men, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
(b) It is all-white, 11 women and 1 man, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
(c) It is all-white, 12 women and no men, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
(d) It is all-white, 10 women and 2 men, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
15. Why is Lucien furious on the morning of the shooting attempt to kill Jake?
(a) The National Guard colonel waited before senting someone to check.
(b) That someone has attempted to take Jake's life.
(c) The National Guard did not check out the silo amongst other locations.
(d) He has kept Dr. Bass sober all night and his testimony will be postponed.
Short Answer Questions
1. At one point, talk amongst the jurors gradually leads toward a guilty verdict, based essentially on what?
2. The firebomb that ignites Mississippi KKK Imperial Wizard Stump Sisson is thrown from where?.
3. When a juror is jumped by thugs at the Temple Inn, how is he threatened?
4. Where does Deputy Nesbit take Ellen to sleep the night before the trial opens?
5. Who do the Northern Mississippi black residents recognize as the single white radical NAACP attorney in their region?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)