|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jake recognize Gerald Ault as a supporter of black people?
(a) Ault was raised by a black "nanny" until he was in his early teens.
(b) Ault was rescued as a boy from drowning by a black person.
(c) Although a secret few knew, Ault's first girlfriend was black.
(d) Ault was rescued as a boy from a burning building by a black person.
2. What does Lucien tell Jake regarding the summation?
(a) Nevermind Bass's condition, the jury might still rule temporary insanity.
(b) He can still win; miracles do happen.
(c) He might be able to get the verdict down to manslaughter.
(d) He might get the verdict down to second degree homicide.
3. When Jake and Harry Rex arrive at the Memphis hospital to visit Ellen, her father, Sheldon Roark, explains what about the injuries to her head that required thirty-nine stitches?
(a) In the trunk, she beats head trying to get free.
(b) In the trunk, she beats head trying to summon help.
(c) She beats head after being covered by "Mickey Mouse," hoping for help.
(d) Terrified she will be raped and killed, she beats head against a metal pole.
4. When Jake objects as Lucien broaches the topic of buying a jury, the latter reminds him of what?
(a) He has no morals and can raise the money from friends.
(b) The other side is playing dirty, so Jake needs to as well.
(c) He has few morals and can get money for the hung jury from friends.
(d) He has more money than he cares for and no morals or ethics.
5. On day two of the proceedings, how does the morning begin and where are all the "players" situated?
(a) Breezy, with even more than before taking spots on the front lawn.
(b) Hot and sunny, with all diligently taking places on the front lawn.
(c) Drizzling and warm, with many diligently taking places on the front lawn.
(d) Muggy and overcast, with some diligently taking places on the front lawn.
6. When a juror is jumped by thugs at the Temple Inn, how is he threatened?
(a) One house has burned; his family's could too if there is no conviction.
(b) At gunpoint; they know where his family is if there is no conviction.
(c) At knifepoint; he will watch his family die if there is no conviction.
(d) At knifepoint; they know where his family is if there is no conviction.
7. On Friday, day five of the trial, Ozzie and Deputy Nesbit wake Jake before 5:00 a.m. to inform him "Mickey Mouse" has reported what?
(a) The Klan plan to shoot him and Carl Lee in court today.
(b) The Klan plan again to blow up Jake's home.
(c) The Klan plan to bomb his office.
(d) The Klan plan to kill Jake on the day of Stump Sisson's funeral.
8. Why do Jake and Harry Rex go to the lake in the latter's pickup truck rather than the former's Saab after going to Memphis to visit the hospital?
(a) The Saab is having mechanical work done.
(b) They fear the Saab would be a target.
(c) Jake has let Carla use it to drive to the airport.
(d) Carla used the Saab to drive to Wilmington, and hers is now burned.
9. What is Clyde Sisco's price?
10. When Jake addresses the jury, what does he first apologize for?
(a) Dr. Bass.
(b) His mistakes due to inexperience.
(c) His inability to be at court on Friday.
(d) Their having to be sequestered.
11. Why is Carl Lee aghast when the jury is finally seated?
(a) It is all-white, 11 women and 1 man, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
(b) It is all-white, 9 women and 3 men, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
(c) It is all-white, 12 women and no men, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
(d) It is all-white, 10 women and 2 men, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
12. On Monday, during the fifteen minute recess after Rodeheaver's testimony, Jake runs up to the law library where Harry Rex is already, and he assures Jake of what?
(a) He reviewed the statutes and feels Jake has a good chance at appealing.
(b) No paper has mentioned his house fire, only Ellen's attack and no name.
(c) Only the Oxford paper mentioned Ellen's attack, and not her name.
(d) No paper has mentioned his house fire or Ellen's attack.
13. How does Hinky Myrick raise money during the Carl Lee trial?
(a) Selling sandwiches and plate lunches at exhorbitant prices in the courtroom.
(b) Selling sandwiches, plate lunches at reasonable prices to media outdoors.
(c) Selling sandwiches and plate lunches at cheap prices to the National Guard.
(d) Selling sandwiches, plate lunches at exhorbitant prices on the front lawn.
14. When the word gets out that the jury is ready, what does Reverend Agee do with the demonstrators?
(a) Calls them to order, and has them sing "We Shall Overcome" calmly.
(b) He calms them to order, and has them pray for an acquittal.
(c) Stirs the demonstrators, and has them chant "Free Carl Lee."
(d) Attempts to calm the demonstrators with no success.
15. Where does Deputy Nesbit take Ellen to sleep the night before the trial opens?
(a) The Sheriff's Departmment.
(b) She stays at Jakes office suite.
(d) The Clanton Inn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has previously witnessed a KKK march in Clanton?
2. Ellen has done a masterful job of the M'Naghten brief, summarizing what into seventy-five pages directly applicable to the Hailey trial?
3. Despite the urging of his friends, Jake is determined to do what?
4. On the evening before the trial begins, Ellen arrives at Jake's office suite carrying a thick, professional brief regarding the rape admissibility issue and begins to do what?
5. Following three hours of sleep on the morning of the trial, Jake bolts awake and has Deputy Nesbit do what?
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)