|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Jake objects as Lucien broaches the topic of buying a jury, the latter reminds him of what?
(a) He has no morals and can raise the money from friends.
(b) The other side is playing dirty, so Jake needs to as well.
(c) He has few morals and can get money for the hung jury from friends.
(d) He has more money than he cares for and no morals or ethics.
2. While they await the jury's verdict from Jake's office, what does Lucien confirm as he spins tales regarding his family's heritage?
(a) Ethel's retarded son is his half-brother.
(b) Ethel's daughter was Lucien's half-sister who died shortly after birth.
(c) As a teen, his family paid his first love's family to move away.
(d) Ethel is his mother.
3. Following three hours of sleep on the morning of the trial, Jake bolts awake and has Deputy Nesbit do what?
(a) Take him home so he can shower and shave.
(b) Take him to Ozzie to review security measures in transporting Carl Lee.
(c) Has him drive him to Lucien's home where he left some documents.
(d) Check the building out as he has heard something suspicious.
4. Despite the urging of his friends, Jake is determined to do what?
(a) Go to see Ellen Roark and Woody Maclenvale.
(b) Stay in town a few days while he has the media in palm of his hands.
(c) Take time off to be by himself to think things out.
(d) Fly to be with Carla and Hanna.
5. During the night of the second trial date, Stump Sisson dies, bringing the number of deaths related to Tonya's rape to how many?
6. What is Clyde Sisco's price?
7. Following Jake's closing before the jury, he and Lucien are drinking on Lucien's front porch where Deputy Nesbit helps himself to what?
8. On day two of the proceedings, how does the morning begin and where are all the "players" situated?
(a) Hot and sunny, with all diligently taking places on the front lawn.
(b) Muggy and overcast, with some diligently taking places on the front lawn.
(c) Breezy, with even more than before taking spots on the front lawn.
(d) Drizzling and warm, with many diligently taking places on the front lawn.
9. How does Carla learn about the all-white jurors in the case?
(a) She hears about them during a radio news broadcast.
(b) She learns about them during a phone call with Jake.
(c) She learns about them during a TV newsbroadcast.
(d) She reads about them in the newspaper.
10. Subsequent to Bass's testimony, what does Jake do when the lawyers are summoned to the judge's chambers?
(a) Grabs a shot of bourbon from Lucien's pocket flask.
(b) Has Harry Rex go back to the office and grab a file.
(c) Stops in a restroom enroute and vomits.
(d) Passes Carl Lee without being able to look at him.
11. On the evening before the trial begins, Ellen arrives at Jake's office suite carrying a thick, professional brief regarding the rape admissibility issue and begins to do what?
(a) Make margaritas.
(b) Provide an overview of the issue.
(c) Make coffee.
(d) Make copies of the brief.
12. Buckley's opening statement runs an hour and a half, and Jake's opening is how long?
(a) Three quarters of an hour.
(b) 14 minutes.
(c) One hour.
(d) Half an hour.
13. Where does Reverend Agee spend his time during the trial?
(a) Running demonstrations.
(b) Split between being seated in the row behind the Hailey's, and running demonstrations.
(c) Giving sermons outside court.
(d) Seated behind Hailey's.
14. In questioning jurors individually in chambers as to their position on the death penalty, one black male lies and is allowed to remain, and he later does what?
(a) Tells them what to say if they want to get off.
(b) Advises others he is not allowed to tell about the questioning.
(c) Advises other blacks what they will be asked and how to answer.
(d) Tells women what to say to get off the jury.
15. Ellen has done a masterful job of the M'Naghten brief, summarizing what into seventy-five pages directly applicable to the Hailey trial?
(a) A quarter century of legal history.
(b) A century of legal history.
(c) A half century of legal history.
(d) A century and a half of legal history.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the riot erupts, what is each Klansman armed with?
2. Early Sunday morning, the day before the trial opens, Jake is awakened on the law office couch by what?
3. As thousands of black protesters congregate outside the courthouse and the jury assembles, Foreman Acker reflects on what?
4. When Jake has Ellen focus on Dr. Wilbert Rodeheaver, the state's mental expert, he asks her to center on cases where acquittals resulted because he suspects what?
5. Do the jurors and alternates attempt to discuss the case in violation of the judge's instructions?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)