|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although Jake wished he had not worn ostrich skin boots, Lucien argues what?
(a) The boots went well with Bass's suit
(b) The jury would relate to boots.
(c) The boots were expensive and showed class.
(d) Ostrich skin boots reflected style.
2. Who likely holds the outcome of the Carl Lee trial in the palm of his hand?
(a) The Ford County Klan leader.
3. Why is Lucien furious on the morning of the shooting attempt to kill Jake?
(a) The National Guard colonel waited before senting someone to check.
(b) That someone has attempted to take Jake's life.
(c) He has kept Dr. Bass sober all night and his testimony will be postponed.
(d) The National Guard did not check out the silo amongst other locations.
4. Despite the urging of his friends, Jake is determined to do what?
(a) Stay in town a few days while he has the media in palm of his hands.
(b) Take time off to be by himself to think things out.
(c) Fly to be with Carla and Hanna.
(d) Go to see Ellen Roark and Woody Maclenvale.
5. Ellen explains that it will be impossible to keep what from the jury?
(a) The gory pictures of Willard and Cobb's bodies.
(b) The fact that Deputy Looney was shot and lost a leg.
(c) The M-16 automatic rifle.
(d) Carl Lee's apologizing to Deputy Looney.
6. Where does Deputy Nesbit take Ellen to sleep the night before the trial opens?
(a) The Clanton Inn.
(b) The Sheriff's Departmment.
(c) She stays at Jakes office suite.
7. What does Jake not tell Carla about in his hour long phone conversation with her Sunday, the evening of the day he returns from Memphis with Harry Rex?
(a) The attack against Ellen.
(b) That the National Guardsman is paralyzed.
(c) The house burning.
(d) That things look very bad.
8. While Jake and Ellen are working on various issues of the case, whom do they invite to join them on the balcony of the law office?
(a) Harry Rex.
(b) Deputy Nesbit.
(d) Ozzie Walls.
9. What is Wanda Womack's position?
(a) She would only vote guilty if everyone else did.
(b) She did not feel right about a guilty vote, but would if necessary.
(c) She would sit until Christmas, but never give in to a guilty verdict.
(d) She is concerned for the safety of everyone and is not sure how to vote.
10. At noon, when the court assembles and finds the jury has not reached a verdict, the judge advises them to do what?
(a) Skip lunch and continue deliberation.
(b) Take an hour lunch without deliberation.
(c) Take a ninety-minute lunch without deliberation.
(d) Have lunch while they continue deliberation.
11. While they await the jury's verdict from Jake's office, what does Lucien confirm as he spins tales regarding his family's heritage?
(a) Ethel's retarded son is his half-brother.
(b) As a teen, his family paid his first love's family to move away.
(c) Ethel is his mother.
(d) Ethel's daughter was Lucien's half-sister who died shortly after birth.
12. Following Jake's closing before the jury, he and Lucien are drinking on Lucien's front porch where Deputy Nesbit helps himself to what?
13. While the trio is at lunch on the day of opening statements, and Jake is in the restroom, Ellen describes Jake as the best she has seen, but qualifies that view how?
(a) "Considering his law school."
(b) "Given his experience."
(c) "Considering how nervous he is."
(d) "For his age."
14. When the word gets out that the jury is ready, what does Reverend Agee do with the demonstrators?
(a) Stirs the demonstrators, and has them chant "Free Carl Lee."
(b) He calms them to order, and has them pray for an acquittal.
(c) Calls them to order, and has them sing "We Shall Overcome" calmly.
(d) Attempts to calm the demonstrators with no success.
15. Ellen has done a masterful job of the M'Naghten brief, summarizing what into seventy-five pages directly applicable to the Hailey trial?
(a) A century and a half of legal history.
(b) A century of legal history.
(c) A half century of legal history.
(d) A quarter century of legal history.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the bored jurors doing by the evening of the third day after the phones have been removed from their rooms?
2. Back at his office, what does Jake drink while his friends drink margaritas?
3. What does Lucien tell Jake regarding the summation?
4. Amongst some of the questions Buckley asks regarding Bass's identity, what is the crime Buckley ask Bass has been convicted of?
5. Who do the Northern Mississippi black residents recognize as the single white radical NAACP attorney in their region?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)