|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The night of Stump Sisson's death, the KKK meet in the woods, pledge revenge, and induct how many new Klan members from Ford County?
2. When two dozen Klansmen arrive on the first morning of the trial in full regalia, what happens?
(a) They are advised by Sheriff Walls that they may stay, but not if hooded.
(b) Deputies usher to their "turf" out front, and tell them they may stay if there is no trouble.
(c) They are instructed they may only stay without KKK regalia.
(d) National Guardsmen usher them away.
3. Where does Deputy Nesbit take Ellen to sleep the night before the trial opens?
(a) She stays at Jakes office suite.
(c) The Sheriff's Departmment.
(d) The Clanton Inn.
4. Following Jake's closing before the jury, he and Lucien are drinking on Lucien's front porch where Deputy Nesbit helps himself to what?
5. How does Carla learn about the all-white jurors in the case?
(a) She reads about them in the newspaper.
(b) She learns about them during a TV newsbroadcast.
(c) She learns about them during a phone call with Jake.
(d) She hears about them during a radio news broadcast.
6. What does Wanda Womack ask the jury panel to consider to convince them to rule not guilty by reason of insanity?
(a) Imagine Tonya as a white girl attacked by two drunk black men.
(b) Consider their reaction if their daughter was attacked and beaten.
(c) Consider true justice for a father, not the legal system.
(d) Consider what the crowd outside will do if he is found guilty.
7. Who is the first victim to fall in the riot at the courthouse?
(a) Freddie Cobb.
(b) Reverend Agee.
(c) Lester Hailey.
(d) Ozzie Walls.
8. Why is Carl Lee aghast when the jury is finally seated?
(a) It is all-white, 9 women and 3 men, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
(b) It is all-white, 12 women and no men, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
(c) It is all-white, 10 women and 2 men, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
(d) It is all-white, 11 women and 1 man, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
9. Amongst some of the questions Buckley asks regarding Bass's identity, what is the crime Buckley ask Bass has been convicted of?
(b) Statutory Rape.
(c) Driving Under the Influence.
10. Who aids Ellen following her plight?
(a) "Mickey Mouse."
(c) Deputy Nesbitt.
11. When Jake has Ellen focus on Dr. Wilbert Rodeheaver, the state's mental expert, he asks her to center on cases where acquittals resulted because he suspects what?
(a) He has some shady connections.
(b) He has never declared a black person "insane."
(c) He is reluctant to declare anyone "insane."
(d) He has always been siding with the state.
12. On Saturday morning, the day after Jake was shot at, the rumor in Clanton is that the shooters claim to be whom?
(a) Jake's former clients.
(b) "Freelancers" from outside Mississippi.
(c) Sisson family members.
13. What does Jake not tell Carla about in his hour long phone conversation with her Sunday, the evening of the day he returns from Memphis with Harry Rex?
(a) The house burning.
(b) The attack against Ellen.
(c) That the National Guardsman is paralyzed.
(d) That things look very bad.
14. On Monday morning, Clanton is in "trial mode" as the Klan is happy having burned down Jake's home and what else?
(a) They sense victory with the attack on Ellen Roark.
(b) They sense victory following the exposure of Bass.
(c) They sense victory with Jake not coming to court on Friday.
(d) They sense victoy with the all-white jury.
15. On Saturday morning following the shooting attack he survived, Jake surmises that both Lucien and Bass were drunk yesterday and driven home by Deputy Nesbit, and while he drinks a Bloody Mary, Jake prays what?
(a) That his motion for a mistrial will be accepted.
(b) That nothing worse takes place.
(c) That Dr. Bass is sober for court.
(d) That Carl Lee can get off.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jake recognize Gerald Ault as a supporter of black people?
2. The firebomb that ignites Mississippi KKK Imperial Wizard Stump Sisson is thrown from where?.
3. What does Jake say to the judge after Ozzie explains what has taken place to Noose?
4. Looking out a window at the black protesters, Barry Acker realizes a guilty verdict will bring a riot and what will transpire?
5. When Lucien gets the opportunity to discuss Sisco's offer with Jake, what does he state the cost will be?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)