|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Lucien furious on the morning of the shooting attempt to kill Jake?
(a) He has kept Dr. Bass sober all night and his testimony will be postponed.
(b) That someone has attempted to take Jake's life.
(c) The National Guard colonel waited before senting someone to check.
(d) The National Guard did not check out the silo amongst other locations.
2. What are the bored jurors doing by the evening of the third day after the phones have been removed from their rooms?
(a) Swimming in the motel pool, reading magazines, and playing cards.
(b) Buying sodas from a machine, playing cards, and discussing the case.
(c) Cooling off in the motel pool, drinking sodas, and playing cards.
(d) Reading magazines, buying sodas from a machine, and playing cards.
3. When the phone rings while Harry Rex and Jake are discussing legal matters on the morning before the trial, what happens?
(a) Jake answers the call and advises the caller the line is tapped.
(b) Harry Rex humorously deflects a hate call aimed at Jake.
(c) Jake angrily responds to a hate call and slams the phone down.
(d) Jake ignores it, allowing it to ring before it finally stops.
4. When Jake seeks a change of venue from Judge Noose and is told nothing would be done except removing 20 intimidated jurors, Jake learns what?
(a) It is going to be a very uphill trial.
(b) He can use the refusal to change venue for a mistrial if necessary.
(c) Someone did not get to the judge, but others have been gotten to.
(d) Lucien is right, someone got to Judge Noose.
5. How does Hinky Myrick raise money during the Carl Lee trial?
(a) Selling sandwiches, plate lunches at reasonable prices to media outdoors.
(b) Selling sandwiches and plate lunches at exhorbitant prices in the courtroom.
(c) Selling sandwiches and plate lunches at cheap prices to the National Guard.
(d) Selling sandwiches, plate lunches at exhorbitant prices on the front lawn.
6. Ellen explains that it will be impossible to keep what from the jury?
(a) The M-16 automatic rifle.
(b) Carl Lee's apologizing to Deputy Looney.
(c) The fact that Deputy Looney was shot and lost a leg.
(d) The gory pictures of Willard and Cobb's bodies.
7. What does Jake not tell Carla about in his hour long phone conversation with her Sunday, the evening of the day he returns from Memphis with Harry Rex?
(a) The attack against Ellen.
(b) That things look very bad.
(c) The house burning.
(d) That the National Guardsman is paralyzed.
8. The firebomb that ignites Mississippi KKK Imperial Wizard Stump Sisson is thrown from where?.
(a) From within the surrounding crowd.
(b) The 3rd floor of the courthouse.
(c) A slowly passing vehicle.
(d) The 3nd floor of the courthouse.
9. While Jake and Ellen are working on various issues of the case, whom do they invite to join them on the balcony of the law office?
(a) Deputy Nesbit.
(b) Harry Rex.
(d) Ozzie Walls.
10. While they await the jury's verdict from Jake's office, what does Lucien confirm as he spins tales regarding his family's heritage?
(a) Ethel's retarded son is his half-brother.
(b) Ethel's daughter was Lucien's half-sister who died shortly after birth.
(c) As a teen, his family paid his first love's family to move away.
(d) Ethel is his mother.
11. On the evening before the trial begins, Ellen arrives at Jake's office suite carrying a thick, professional brief regarding the rape admissibility issue and begins to do what?
(a) Make margaritas.
(b) Make coffee.
(c) Provide an overview of the issue.
(d) Make copies of the brief.
12. Who do the Northern Mississippi black residents recognize as the single white radical NAACP attorney in their region?
(a) Sheldon Roark.
(b) Norman Reinfeld.
(c) Jake Brigance.
(d) Lucien Wilbanks.
13. Why is Carl Lee aghast when the jury is finally seated?
(a) It is all-white, 12 women and no men, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
(b) It is all-white, 11 women and 1 man, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
(c) It is all-white, 10 women and 2 men, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
(d) It is all-white, 9 women and 3 men, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
14. Following Jake's closing before the jury, he and Lucien are drinking on Lucien's front porch where Deputy Nesbit helps himself to what?
15. Who else does Jake visit in the Memphis hospital?
(a) Woody Mackenvale, the National Guardsman.
(b) Wallie Macintyre, the National Guardsman.
(c) Wayne Miller, the National Guardsman.
(d) Willie MacKenzie, the National Guardsman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Deputy Nesbit take Ellen to sleep the night before the trial opens?
2. What does Wanda Womack ask the jury panel to consider to convince them to rule not guilty by reason of insanity?
3. Amongst some of the questions Buckley asks regarding Bass's identity, what is the crime Buckley ask Bass has been convicted of?
4. When the word gets out that the jury is ready, what does Reverend Agee do with the demonstrators?
5. How does Jake feel when a patron in the Coffee Shop notes that the black protesters must frighten the jurors?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)