|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On Monday, during the fifteen minute recess after Rodeheaver's testimony, Jake runs up to the law library where Harry Rex is already, and he assures Jake of what?
(a) No paper has mentioned his house fire or Ellen's attack.
(b) Only the Oxford paper mentioned Ellen's attack, and not her name.
(c) No paper has mentioned his house fire, only Ellen's attack and no name.
(d) He reviewed the statutes and feels Jake has a good chance at appealing.
2. When Jake and Harry Rex arrive at the Memphis hospital to visit Ellen, her father, Sheldon Roark, explains what about the injuries to her head that required thirty-nine stitches?
(a) Terrified she will be raped and killed, she beats head against a metal pole.
(b) In the trunk, she beats head trying to summon help.
(c) In the trunk, she beats head trying to get free.
(d) She beats head after being covered by "Mickey Mouse," hoping for help.
3. When two dozen Klansmen arrive on the first morning of the trial in full regalia, what happens?
(a) They are advised by Sheriff Walls that they may stay, but not if hooded.
(b) National Guardsmen usher them away.
(c) They are instructed they may only stay without KKK regalia.
(d) Deputies usher to their "turf" out front, and tell them they may stay if there is no trouble.
4. How does Deputy Looney describe Carl Lee?
(a) "It was an accident. But he deserves some prison time."
(b) "He's a killer. He's worthy of death."
(c) "He's a hero. Give him a trophy."
(d) "For what he did, he deserves life."
5. Who is wounded when Jake is escorted from his office to the courthouse on Friday morning, the fifth day?
(a) A National Guardsman.
(d) Deputy Nesbit.
6. The firebomb that ignites Mississippi KKK Imperial Wizard Stump Sisson is thrown from where?.
(a) From within the surrounding crowd.
(b) The 3rd floor of the courthouse.
(c) A slowly passing vehicle.
(d) The 3nd floor of the courthouse.
7. When Lucien gets the opportunity to discuss Sisco's offer with Jake, what does he state the cost will be?
(a) $50,000 for an acquittal is the only offer.
(b) $2,500 for a hung jury, $5,000 for an acquittal.
(c) $250,000 for a hung jury, $500,000 for an acquital.
(d) $25,000 for a hung jury, $50,000 for an acquittal.
8. How does Carla learn about the all-white jurors in the case?
(a) She learns about them during a phone call with Jake.
(b) She reads about them in the newspaper.
(c) She learns about them during a TV newsbroadcast.
(d) She hears about them during a radio news broadcast.
9. Where does Reverend Agee spend his time during the trial?
(a) Seated behind Hailey's.
(b) Giving sermons outside court.
(c) Running demonstrations.
(d) Split between being seated in the row behind the Hailey's, and running demonstrations.
10. During the night of the second trial date, Stump Sisson dies, bringing the number of deaths related to Tonya's rape to how many?
11. Given the National Guard activity the day prior to the trial opening, Jake advises Ellen he will be forced to renew his plea for change of venue, ask for a mistrial, and then be certain of what?
(a) The record shows that the trial is being held in "a three-ring circus."
(b) A fair trial is not being held.
(c) Judge Noose is clearly not taking an impartial position.
(d) The trial is being held in violation of Mississippi State Statues.
12. Ellen has done a masterful job of the M'Naghten brief, summarizing what into seventy-five pages directly applicable to the Hailey trial?
(a) A century and a half of legal history.
(b) A half century of legal history.
(c) A century of legal history.
(d) A quarter century of legal history.
13. How does Hinky Myrick raise money during the Carl Lee trial?
(a) Selling sandwiches, plate lunches at reasonable prices to media outdoors.
(b) Selling sandwiches, plate lunches at exhorbitant prices on the front lawn.
(c) Selling sandwiches and plate lunches at cheap prices to the National Guard.
(d) Selling sandwiches and plate lunches at exhorbitant prices in the courtroom.
14. What is the jury's decision?
(a) Guilty of manslaughter, third degree.
(b) Guilty on all counts.
(c) Not guilty on all counts by reason of insanity.
(d) Guilty of homicide, second degree.
15. When the word gets out that the jury is ready, what does Reverend Agee do with the demonstrators?
(a) Attempts to calm the demonstrators with no success.
(b) He calms them to order, and has them pray for an acquittal.
(c) Calls them to order, and has them sing "We Shall Overcome" calmly.
(d) Stirs the demonstrators, and has them chant "Free Carl Lee."
Short Answer Questions
1. On the evening before the trial begins, Ellen arrives at Jake's office suite carrying a thick, professional brief regarding the rape admissibility issue and begins to do what?
2. On day two of the proceedings, how does the morning begin and where are all the "players" situated?
3. What does Wanda Womack ask the jury panel to consider to convince them to rule not guilty by reason of insanity?
4. During the closing statement to the jury, what does Jake say that must be withdrawn?
5. Jake knows Judge Noose will feel how about the National Guard being called in?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)