|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Do the jurors and alternates attempt to discuss the case in violation of the judge's instructions?
(a) Yes, on the bus enroute to the Temple Inn.
(b) Yes, on a pay-phone in the Temple Inn lobby to family.
(d) Yes, in same-sex pairs while roomed at the Temple Inn.
2. How does Jake feel when a patron in the Coffee Shop notes that the black protesters must frighten the jurors?
(a) He is uncertain.
(b) He hopes they do.
(c) He hopes they don't.
(d) He hopes there will be no further bloodshed.
3. Who has previously witnessed a KKK march in Clanton?
(a) One march in the very early 60's.
(b) Only some very elderly.
(c) Those alive in the 30's.
(d) No one now alive.
4. What does Wanda Womack ask the jury panel to consider to convince them to rule not guilty by reason of insanity?
(a) Imagine Tonya as a white girl attacked by two drunk black men.
(b) Consider true justice for a father, not the legal system.
(c) Consider what the crowd outside will do if he is found guilty.
(d) Consider their reaction if their daughter was attacked and beaten.
5. How does Carla learn about the all-white jurors in the case?
(a) She reads about them in the newspaper.
(b) She hears about them during a radio news broadcast.
(c) She learns about them during a phone call with Jake.
(d) She learns about them during a TV newsbroadcast.
6. Subsequent to Bass's testimony, what does Jake do when the lawyers are summoned to the judge's chambers?
(a) Grabs a shot of bourbon from Lucien's pocket flask.
(b) Stops in a restroom enroute and vomits.
(c) Has Harry Rex go back to the office and grab a file.
(d) Passes Carl Lee without being able to look at him.
7. How does Hinky Myrick raise money during the Carl Lee trial?
(a) Selling sandwiches, plate lunches at exhorbitant prices on the front lawn.
(b) Selling sandwiches and plate lunches at exhorbitant prices in the courtroom.
(c) Selling sandwiches and plate lunches at cheap prices to the National Guard.
(d) Selling sandwiches, plate lunches at reasonable prices to media outdoors.
8. What questions does Jake ask of Cobb's and Willard's respective mothers during cross-examination?
(a) Jake opted not to cross-examine.
(b) How many other children their sons raped, was Cobb convicted of selling marijuana?
(c) Has either been convicted of rape?
(d) How many convictions did their sons have respectively?
9. How does Deputy Looney describe Carl Lee?
(a) "He's a hero. Give him a trophy."
(b) "It was an accident. But he deserves some prison time."
(c) "For what he did, he deserves life."
(d) "He's a killer. He's worthy of death."
10. When Murphy, the janitor, is called as a witness of the state on the afternoon of the fourth day, it is a gut-wrenching ordeal for what reason?
(a) He stutters and spits in response to the questions for an hour.
(b) He was close to Willard, and had a difficult time keeping his composure.
(c) He was afraid of being questioned, and was nearly in tears for an hour.
(d) He was close to Cobb, and had a difficult time keeping his composure.
11. Why is Carl Lee aghast when the jury is finally seated?
(a) It is all-white, 11 women and 1 man, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
(b) It is all-white, 12 women and no men, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
(c) It is all-white, 9 women and 3 men, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
(d) It is all-white, 10 women and 2 men, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
12. On the evening before the trial begins, Ellen arrives at Jake's office suite carrying a thick, professional brief regarding the rape admissibility issue and begins to do what?
(a) Make coffee.
(b) Make copies of the brief.
(c) Make margaritas.
(d) Provide an overview of the issue.
13. While they await the jury's verdict from Jake's office, what does Lucien confirm as he spins tales regarding his family's heritage?
(a) Ethel is his mother.
(b) As a teen, his family paid his first love's family to move away.
(c) Ethel's retarded son is his half-brother.
(d) Ethel's daughter was Lucien's half-sister who died shortly after birth.
14. Despite the urging of his friends, Jake is determined to do what?
(a) Go to see Ellen Roark and Woody Maclenvale.
(b) Fly to be with Carla and Hanna.
(c) Stay in town a few days while he has the media in palm of his hands.
(d) Take time off to be by himself to think things out.
15. While Jake and Ellen are working on various issues of the case, whom do they invite to join them on the balcony of the law office?
(a) Deputy Nesbit.
(b) Ozzie Walls.
(c) Harry Rex.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Jake and Harry Rex go to the lake in the latter's pickup truck rather than the former's Saab after going to Memphis to visit the hospital?
2. When two dozen Klansmen arrive on the first morning of the trial in full regalia, what happens?
3. Given the National Guard activity the day prior to the trial opening, Jake advises Ellen he will be forced to renew his plea for change of venue, ask for a mistrial, and then be certain of what?
4. On Monday morning, Clanton is in "trial mode" as the Klan is happy having burned down Jake's home and what else?
5. Early Sunday morning, the day before the trial opens, Jake is awakened on the law office couch by what?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)