|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ellen has done a masterful job of the M'Naghten brief, summarizing what into seventy-five pages directly applicable to the Hailey trial?
(a) A century of legal history.
(b) A century and a half of legal history.
(c) A quarter century of legal history.
(d) A half century of legal history.
2. What does Jake not tell Carla about in his hour long phone conversation with her Sunday, the evening of the day he returns from Memphis with Harry Rex?
(a) The attack against Ellen.
(b) That the National Guardsman is paralyzed.
(c) The house burning.
(d) That things look very bad.
3. What does Wanda Womack ask the jury panel to consider to convince them to rule not guilty by reason of insanity?
(a) Consider what the crowd outside will do if he is found guilty.
(b) Consider their reaction if their daughter was attacked and beaten.
(c) Imagine Tonya as a white girl attacked by two drunk black men.
(d) Consider true justice for a father, not the legal system.
4. When Jake seeks a change of venue from Judge Noose and is told nothing would be done except removing 20 intimidated jurors, Jake learns what?
(a) Someone did not get to the judge, but others have been gotten to.
(b) Lucien is right, someone got to Judge Noose.
(c) It is going to be a very uphill trial.
(d) He can use the refusal to change venue for a mistrial if necessary.
5. When Jake and Harry Rex arrive at the Memphis hospital to visit Ellen, her father, Sheldon Roark, explains what about the injuries to her head that required thirty-nine stitches?
(a) In the trunk, she beats head trying to summon help.
(b) She beats head after being covered by "Mickey Mouse," hoping for help.
(c) In the trunk, she beats head trying to get free.
(d) Terrified she will be raped and killed, she beats head against a metal pole.
6. The night of Stump Sisson's death, the KKK meet in the woods, pledge revenge, and induct how many new Klan members from Ford County?
7. Ellen explains that it will be impossible to keep what from the jury?
(a) The fact that Deputy Looney was shot and lost a leg.
(b) The M-16 automatic rifle.
(c) The gory pictures of Willard and Cobb's bodies.
(d) Carl Lee's apologizing to Deputy Looney.
8. Ellen has done a fine job preparing the doctor, including a twenty-five-page dialogue of the questions Jake will ask, and the answers for whom?
(a) Dr. W. T. Bass, retired psychiatrist.
(b) Dr. T. W. Bass, retired podiatrist.
(c) Dr. W. T. Bass, retired psychologist.
(d) Dr. W. T. Blast, retired pediatrician.
9. Why do Jake and Harry Rex go to the lake in the latter's pickup truck rather than the former's Saab after going to Memphis to visit the hospital?
(a) Jake has let Carla use it to drive to the airport.
(b) Carla used the Saab to drive to Wilmington, and hers is now burned.
(c) The Saab is having mechanical work done.
(d) They fear the Saab would be a target.
10. On Saturday morning following the shooting attack he survived, Jake surmises that both Lucien and Bass were drunk yesterday and driven home by Deputy Nesbit, and while he drinks a Bloody Mary, Jake prays what?
(a) That his motion for a mistrial will be accepted.
(b) That nothing worse takes place.
(c) That Dr. Bass is sober for court.
(d) That Carl Lee can get off.
11. Who else does Jake visit in the Memphis hospital?
(a) Woody Mackenvale, the National Guardsman.
(b) Wallie Macintyre, the National Guardsman.
(c) Wayne Miller, the National Guardsman.
(d) Willie MacKenzie, the National Guardsman.
12. Who has previously witnessed a KKK march in Clanton?
(a) Those alive in the 30's.
(b) One march in the very early 60's.
(c) No one now alive.
(d) Only some very elderly.
13. When the jury is impaneled, Jake, Harry Rex, and Ellen are in agreement about what?
(a) It is much better than expected.
(b) It is not as bad as was expected.
(c) Things do not look well.
(d) They are uncertain about some of the members.
14. At noon, when the court assembles and finds the jury has not reached a verdict, the judge advises them to do what?
(a) Take an hour lunch without deliberation.
(b) Take a ninety-minute lunch without deliberation.
(c) Skip lunch and continue deliberation.
(d) Have lunch while they continue deliberation.
15. What is Lucien's advice to Jake regarding fear?
(a) Take a healty shot of bourbon to calm his nerves.
(b) He should welcome it, as jurors are afraid as well.
(c) Put it out of his mind and concentrate on legal matters.
(d) Jake has prepared well, and so he need not worry.
Short Answer Questions
1. The firebomb that ignites Mississippi KKK Imperial Wizard Stump Sisson is thrown from where?.
2. While they await the jury's verdict from Jake's office, what does Lucien confirm as he spins tales regarding his family's heritage?
3. When the trial resumes following the brief recess, why does Jake decline to question Rodeheaver?
4. While the trio is at lunch on the day of opening statements, and Jake is in the restroom, Ellen describes Jake as the best she has seen, but qualifies that view how?
5. Despite the urging of his friends, Jake is determined to do what?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)