|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Lucien furious on the morning of the shooting attempt to kill Jake?
(a) That someone has attempted to take Jake's life.
(b) He has kept Dr. Bass sober all night and his testimony will be postponed.
(c) The National Guard colonel waited before senting someone to check.
(d) The National Guard did not check out the silo amongst other locations.
2. What is the jury's decision?
(a) Guilty of homicide, second degree.
(b) Guilty on all counts.
(c) Guilty of manslaughter, third degree.
(d) Not guilty on all counts by reason of insanity.
3. Ellen has done a fine job preparing the doctor, including a twenty-five-page dialogue of the questions Jake will ask, and the answers for whom?
(a) Dr. W. T. Bass, retired psychiatrist.
(b) Dr. W. T. Bass, retired psychologist.
(c) Dr. T. W. Bass, retired podiatrist.
(d) Dr. W. T. Blast, retired pediatrician.
4. When the word gets out that the jury is ready, what does Reverend Agee do with the demonstrators?
(a) He calms them to order, and has them pray for an acquittal.
(b) Calls them to order, and has them sing "We Shall Overcome" calmly.
(c) Stirs the demonstrators, and has them chant "Free Carl Lee."
(d) Attempts to calm the demonstrators with no success.
5. Why does Jake recognize Gerald Ault as a supporter of black people?
(a) Although a secret few knew, Ault's first girlfriend was black.
(b) Ault was rescued as a boy from a burning building by a black person.
(c) Ault was raised by a black "nanny" until he was in his early teens.
(d) Ault was rescued as a boy from drowning by a black person.
6. Where does Reverend Agee spend his time during the trial?
(a) Seated behind Hailey's.
(b) Running demonstrations.
(c) Giving sermons outside court.
(d) Split between being seated in the row behind the Hailey's, and running demonstrations.
7. The night of Stump Sisson's death, the KKK meet in the woods, pledge revenge, and induct how many new Klan members from Ford County?
8. How does Deputy Looney describe Carl Lee?
(a) "He's a hero. Give him a trophy."
(b) "He's a killer. He's worthy of death."
(c) "For what he did, he deserves life."
(d) "It was an accident. But he deserves some prison time."
9. When Jake seeks a change of venue from Judge Noose and is told nothing would be done except removing 20 intimidated jurors, Jake learns what?
(a) He can use the refusal to change venue for a mistrial if necessary.
(b) Someone did not get to the judge, but others have been gotten to.
(c) It is going to be a very uphill trial.
(d) Lucien is right, someone got to Judge Noose.
10. On Friday, day five of the trial, Ozzie and Deputy Nesbit wake Jake before 5:00 a.m. to inform him "Mickey Mouse" has reported what?
(a) The Klan plan to kill Jake on the day of Stump Sisson's funeral.
(b) The Klan plan to bomb his office.
(c) The Klan plan to shoot him and Carl Lee in court today.
(d) The Klan plan again to blow up Jake's home.
11. Ellen has done a masterful job of the M'Naghten brief, summarizing what into seventy-five pages directly applicable to the Hailey trial?
(a) A century of legal history.
(b) A quarter century of legal history.
(c) A half century of legal history.
(d) A century and a half of legal history.
12. When Jake and Harry Rex arrive at the Memphis hospital to visit Ellen, her father, Sheldon Roark, explains what about the injuries to her head that required thirty-nine stitches?
(a) In the trunk, she beats head trying to get free.
(b) In the trunk, she beats head trying to summon help.
(c) Terrified she will be raped and killed, she beats head against a metal pole.
(d) She beats head after being covered by "Mickey Mouse," hoping for help.
13. What questions does Jake ask of Cobb's and Willard's respective mothers during cross-examination?
(a) How many convictions did their sons have respectively?
(b) Jake opted not to cross-examine.
(c) How many other children their sons raped, was Cobb convicted of selling marijuana?
(d) Has either been convicted of rape?
14. The firebomb that ignites Mississippi KKK Imperial Wizard Stump Sisson is thrown from where?.
(a) From within the surrounding crowd.
(b) The 3rd floor of the courthouse.
(c) A slowly passing vehicle.
(d) The 3nd floor of the courthouse.
15. As thousands of black protesters congregate outside the courthouse and the jury assembles, Foreman Acker reflects on what?
(a) If he should report the threat to Sheriff Walls.
(b) How the other members of the jury will be voting.
(c) How many others had, like him, been threatened.
(d) Where the thugs who jumped him are from.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Ellen on her way to Oxford on the evening of the shooting?
2. What question does Jake ask of Ozzie during cross-examination that Buckley wildly objects to and Jake withdraws, but Ozzie has already nodded affirmatively to?
3. When Jake has Ellen focus on Dr. Wilbert Rodeheaver, the state's mental expert, he asks her to center on cases where acquittals resulted because he suspects what?
4. What does Wanda Womack ask the jury panel to consider to convince them to rule not guilty by reason of insanity?
5. Who likely holds the outcome of the Carl Lee trial in the palm of his hand?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)