|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Jake learn Wanda Womack lives with?
(a) Clyde Sisco.
(b) Percy Bullard.
(c) Mack Loyd Crowell.
(d) Willie Hastings.
2. After going to the lake with Harry Rex, Jake visits Lucien and discovers what?
(a) Lucien is sober and working on Jake's summation.
(b) Lucien is drunk and is working on Jake's summation.
(c) Lucien is passed out, but has nearly finished Jake's summation.
(d) Lucien has been drinking and working on Jake's summation.
3. During the trial on the fifth day, Lucien avoids eye contact with Sisco for what reason?
(a) He is confident there is a good chance for victory.
(b) He wants to barter with Sisco on the price.
(c) He knows a wink or nod will consummate the deal.
(d) He knows there is no way to get the figure Sisco has set.
4. Who likely holds the outcome of the Carl Lee trial in the palm of his hand?
(b) The Ford County Klan leader.
5. On the evening before the trial begins, Ellen arrives at Jake's office suite carrying a thick, professional brief regarding the rape admissibility issue and begins to do what?
(a) Make copies of the brief.
(b) Provide an overview of the issue.
(c) Make coffee.
(d) Make margaritas.
6. How does Deputy Looney describe Carl Lee?
(a) "He's a hero. Give him a trophy."
(b) "It was an accident. But he deserves some prison time."
(c) "He's a killer. He's worthy of death."
(d) "For what he did, he deserves life."
7. Ministers start a parade of black protesters behind a fifteen-foot banner that reads what?
(a) "Free Carl Lee."
(b) "Tonya Is The Victim."
(c) "Carl Lee Was Right."
(d) "Free Carl Lee Hailey."
8. Who is the first victim to fall in the riot at the courthouse?
(a) Freddie Cobb.
(b) Lester Hailey.
(c) Ozzie Walls.
(d) Reverend Agee.
9. During the closing statement to the jury, what does Jake say that must be withdrawn?
(a) Tonya will never bear children.
(b) A murder victim is released, and a rape victim deals with it the rest of her life.
(c) In Carl Lee's shoes, Jake would blow Cobb's and Willard's heads off.
(d) A child cannot understand the reason for the attack.
10. At one point, talk amongst the jurors gradually leads toward a guilty verdict, based essentially on what?
(a) Carl Lee had an option to await the outcome of Cobb's and Willard's trial.
(b) Rape being worthy of life, but not death.
(c) Carl Lee's six days of planning and premeditation.
(d) Carl Lee having used an illegal firearm.
11. How many black people does Lucien plan to bring to the courthouse and chant "Free Carl Lee"?
12. Subsequent to Bass's testimony, what does Jake do when the lawyers are summoned to the judge's chambers?
(a) Has Harry Rex go back to the office and grab a file.
(b) Grabs a shot of bourbon from Lucien's pocket flask.
(c) Passes Carl Lee without being able to look at him.
(d) Stops in a restroom enroute and vomits.
13. Who do the Northern Mississippi black residents recognize as the single white radical NAACP attorney in their region?
(a) Lucien Wilbanks.
(b) Norman Reinfeld.
(c) Jake Brigance.
(d) Sheldon Roark.
14. What happens when Carl Lee opens a courtroom window with a small balcony and the deputy nods?
(a) Carl Lee, Tonya, and the boys step onto the balcony, wave, and the crowd surges.
(b) Carl Lee has second thoughts for safety, and watches inside from the window.
(c) Carl Lee steps onto the balcony, waves, and the crowd surges.
(d) Carl Lee steps onto the balcony, and can see KKK on their "turf."
15. Why is Carl Lee aghast when the jury is finally seated?
(a) It is all-white, 11 women and 1 man, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
(b) It is all-white, 10 women and 2 men, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
(c) It is all-white, 12 women and no men, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
(d) It is all-white, 9 women and 3 men, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Jake and Harry Rex go to the lake in the latter's pickup truck rather than the former's Saab after going to Memphis to visit the hospital?
2. Following three hours of sleep on the morning of the trial, Jake bolts awake and has Deputy Nesbit do what?
3. On Monday morning, Clanton is in "trial mode" as the Klan is happy having burned down Jake's home and what else?
4. Ellen has done a fine job preparing the doctor, including a twenty-five-page dialogue of the questions Jake will ask, and the answers for whom?
5. Buckley's opening statement runs an hour and a half, and Jake's opening is how long?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)