|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ministers start a parade of black protesters behind a fifteen-foot banner that reads what?
(a) "Free Carl Lee Hailey."
(b) "Free Carl Lee."
(c) "Tonya Is The Victim."
(d) "Carl Lee Was Right."
2. At 5:00 a.m. Harry Rex arrives with biscuit sandwiches sent by Jake's favorite waitress at the Coffee Shop, and he discusses with Jake:
(a) Prospects for a temporary insanity plea.
(b) Ellen Roark's credentials.
(c) Potential jurors once again.
(d) His motion for change of venue.
3. What questions does Jake ask of Cobb's and Willard's respective mothers during cross-examination?
(a) How many other children their sons raped, was Cobb convicted of selling marijuana?
(b) How many convictions did their sons have respectively?
(c) Jake opted not to cross-examine.
(d) Has either been convicted of rape?
4. When Jake and Harry Rex arrive at the Memphis hospital to visit Ellen, her father, Sheldon Roark, explains what about the injuries to her head that required thirty-nine stitches?
(a) In the trunk, she beats head trying to get free.
(b) Terrified she will be raped and killed, she beats head against a metal pole.
(c) In the trunk, she beats head trying to summon help.
(d) She beats head after being covered by "Mickey Mouse," hoping for help.
5. Why is Carl Lee aghast when the jury is finally seated?
(a) It is all-white, 11 women and 1 man, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
(b) It is all-white, 12 women and no men, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
(c) It is all-white, 9 women and 3 men, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
(d) It is all-white, 10 women and 2 men, only 1 black of 2 alternates.
6. Where does Deputy Nesbit take Ellen to sleep the night before the trial opens?
(a) The Sheriff's Departmment.
(b) The Clanton Inn.
(c) She stays at Jakes office suite.
7. Subsequent to Bass's testimony, what does Jake do when the lawyers are summoned to the judge's chambers?
(a) Stops in a restroom enroute and vomits.
(b) Passes Carl Lee without being able to look at him.
(c) Grabs a shot of bourbon from Lucien's pocket flask.
(d) Has Harry Rex go back to the office and grab a file.
8. How does Jake feel when a patron in the Coffee Shop notes that the black protesters must frighten the jurors?
(a) He hopes they do.
(b) He is uncertain.
(c) He hopes they don't.
(d) He hopes there will be no further bloodshed.
9. During the closing statement to the jury, what does Jake say that must be withdrawn?
(a) Tonya will never bear children.
(b) In Carl Lee's shoes, Jake would blow Cobb's and Willard's heads off.
(c) A child cannot understand the reason for the attack.
(d) A murder victim is released, and a rape victim deals with it the rest of her life.
10. What is Clyde Sisco's price?
11. As thousands of black protesters congregate outside the courthouse and the jury assembles, Foreman Acker reflects on what?
(a) How the other members of the jury will be voting.
(b) Where the thugs who jumped him are from.
(c) If he should report the threat to Sheriff Walls.
(d) How many others had, like him, been threatened.
12. How does Hinky Myrick raise money during the Carl Lee trial?
(a) Selling sandwiches and plate lunches at cheap prices to the National Guard.
(b) Selling sandwiches and plate lunches at exhorbitant prices in the courtroom.
(c) Selling sandwiches, plate lunches at exhorbitant prices on the front lawn.
(d) Selling sandwiches, plate lunches at reasonable prices to media outdoors.
13. What is Wanda Womack's position?
(a) She would only vote guilty if everyone else did.
(b) She would sit until Christmas, but never give in to a guilty verdict.
(c) She did not feel right about a guilty vote, but would if necessary.
(d) She is concerned for the safety of everyone and is not sure how to vote.
14. Where does Reverend Agee spend his time during the trial?
(a) Running demonstrations.
(b) Giving sermons outside court.
(c) Split between being seated in the row behind the Hailey's, and running demonstrations.
(d) Seated behind Hailey's.
15. What does Lucien tell Jake regarding the summation?
(a) He can still win; miracles do happen.
(b) He might get the verdict down to second degree homicide.
(c) Nevermind Bass's condition, the jury might still rule temporary insanity.
(d) He might be able to get the verdict down to manslaughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Following Jake's closing before the jury, he and Lucien are drinking on Lucien's front porch where Deputy Nesbit helps himself to what?
2. Who does Jake learn Wanda Womack lives with?
3. Do the jurors and alternates attempt to discuss the case in violation of the judge's instructions?
4. On Monday morning, Clanton is in "trial mode" as the Klan is happy having burned down Jake's home and what else?
5. At noon, when the court assembles and finds the jury has not reached a verdict, the judge advises them to do what?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)