|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the Mississippi Imperial Wizard of the Klan speaks from the podium, there are 40 Klansmen marching at the courthouse and how many black people?
(a) Black people outnumber the Klan 2-1.
(b) Black people outnumber the Klan 15-1.
(c) Black people outnumber the Klan 5-1.
(d) Black people outnumber the Klan 10-1.
2. On Monday, during the fifteen minute recess after Rodeheaver's testimony, Jake runs up to the law library where Harry Rex is already, and he assures Jake of what?
(a) Only the Oxford paper mentioned Ellen's attack, and not her name.
(b) No paper has mentioned his house fire or Ellen's attack.
(c) No paper has mentioned his house fire, only Ellen's attack and no name.
(d) He reviewed the statutes and feels Jake has a good chance at appealing.
3. On Saturday morning, the day after Jake was shot at, the rumor in Clanton is that the shooters claim to be whom?
(b) Sisson family members.
(c) Jake's former clients.
(d) "Freelancers" from outside Mississippi.
4. What question does Jake ask of Ozzie during cross-examination that Buckley wildly objects to and Jake withdraws, but Ozzie has already nodded affirmatively to?
(a) Whether Pete Willard signed a confession prior to his death?
(b) Whether either Cobb or Willard signed a confession prior to death?
(c) Did Pete Willard agree to sign a confession for leniency prior to death?
(d) Did either verbally confess prior to death?
5. Who do the Northern Mississippi black residents recognize as the single white radical NAACP attorney in their region?
(a) Sheldon Roark.
(b) Jake Brigance.
(c) Lucien Wilbanks.
(d) Norman Reinfeld.
6. Early Sunday morning, the day before the trial opens, Jake is awakened on the law office couch by what?
(a) Large, national TV vehicles vying for best position around Clanton Square.
(b) Sounds of the National Guard taking position in Clanton Square.
(c) Ellen knocking persistently on the office door.
(d) The telephone continuosly ringing.
7. On day two of the proceedings, how does the morning begin and where are all the "players" situated?
(a) Hot and sunny, with all diligently taking places on the front lawn.
(b) Breezy, with even more than before taking spots on the front lawn.
(c) Muggy and overcast, with some diligently taking places on the front lawn.
(d) Drizzling and warm, with many diligently taking places on the front lawn.
8. Ellen explains that it will be impossible to keep what from the jury?
(a) The gory pictures of Willard and Cobb's bodies.
(b) The fact that Deputy Looney was shot and lost a leg.
(c) Carl Lee's apologizing to Deputy Looney.
(d) The M-16 automatic rifle.
9. When Jake objects as Lucien broaches the topic of buying a jury, the latter reminds him of what?
(a) The other side is playing dirty, so Jake needs to as well.
(b) He has few morals and can get money for the hung jury from friends.
(c) He has more money than he cares for and no morals or ethics.
(d) He has no morals and can raise the money from friends.
10. What is the jury's decision?
(a) Guilty on all counts.
(b) Not guilty on all counts by reason of insanity.
(c) Guilty of manslaughter, third degree.
(d) Guilty of homicide, second degree.
11. Who has previously witnessed a KKK march in Clanton?
(a) One march in the very early 60's.
(b) No one now alive.
(c) Those alive in the 30's.
(d) Only some very elderly.
12. Where do Lucien, Harry Rex, and Jake go after talking with Wanda Womack and Mack Loyd Crowell?
(a) The Hailey's.
(c) The Lake.
(d) Jake's office.
13. When Jake seeks a change of venue from Judge Noose and is told nothing would be done except removing 20 intimidated jurors, Jake learns what?
(a) Lucien is right, someone got to Judge Noose.
(b) He can use the refusal to change venue for a mistrial if necessary.
(c) Someone did not get to the judge, but others have been gotten to.
(d) It is going to be a very uphill trial.
14. On Saturday morning following the shooting attack he survived, Jake surmises that both Lucien and Bass were drunk yesterday and driven home by Deputy Nesbit, and while he drinks a Bloody Mary, Jake prays what?
(a) That Dr. Bass is sober for court.
(b) That his motion for a mistrial will be accepted.
(c) That Carl Lee can get off.
(d) That nothing worse takes place.
15. Why do Jake and Harry Rex go to the lake in the latter's pickup truck rather than the former's Saab after going to Memphis to visit the hospital?
(a) Carla used the Saab to drive to Wilmington, and hers is now burned.
(b) Jake has let Carla use it to drive to the airport.
(c) The Saab is having mechanical work done.
(d) They fear the Saab would be a target.
Short Answer Questions
1. At 5:00 a.m. Harry Rex arrives with biscuit sandwiches sent by Jake's favorite waitress at the Coffee Shop, and he discusses with Jake:
2. Although Jake wished he had not worn ostrich skin boots, Lucien argues what?
3. Who is the first victim to fall in the riot at the courthouse?
4. What does Wanda Womack ask the jury panel to consider to convince them to rule not guilty by reason of insanity?
5. Back at his office, what does Jake drink while his friends drink margaritas?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)