|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Jake addresses the jury, what does he first apologize for?
(a) Dr. Bass.
(b) Their having to be sequestered.
(c) His mistakes due to inexperience.
(d) His inability to be at court on Friday.
2. How does Hinky Myrick raise money during the Carl Lee trial?
(a) Selling sandwiches, plate lunches at exhorbitant prices on the front lawn.
(b) Selling sandwiches and plate lunches at exhorbitant prices in the courtroom.
(c) Selling sandwiches and plate lunches at cheap prices to the National Guard.
(d) Selling sandwiches, plate lunches at reasonable prices to media outdoors.
3. Back at his office, what does Jake drink while his friends drink margaritas?
4. When the jury is impaneled, Jake, Harry Rex, and Ellen are in agreement about what?
(a) They are uncertain about some of the members.
(b) Things do not look well.
(c) It is not as bad as was expected.
(d) It is much better than expected.
5. Amongst some of the questions Buckley asks regarding Bass's identity, what is the crime Buckley ask Bass has been convicted of?
(a) Statutory Rape.
(d) Driving Under the Influence.
6. When the word gets out that the jury is ready, what does Reverend Agee do with the demonstrators?
(a) Stirs the demonstrators, and has them chant "Free Carl Lee."
(b) He calms them to order, and has them pray for an acquittal.
(c) Calls them to order, and has them sing "We Shall Overcome" calmly.
(d) Attempts to calm the demonstrators with no success.
7. Who is wounded when Jake is escorted from his office to the courthouse on Friday morning, the fifth day?
(a) A National Guardsman.
(b) Deputy Nesbit.
8. During the night of the second trial date, Stump Sisson dies, bringing the number of deaths related to Tonya's rape to how many?
9. As the riot erupts, what is each Klansman armed with?
(a) A broken bottle.
(b) A nightstick.
(c) A handgun.
(d) A knife.
10. What questions does Jake ask of Cobb's and Willard's respective mothers during cross-examination?
(a) How many convictions did their sons have respectively?
(b) Jake opted not to cross-examine.
(c) Has either been convicted of rape?
(d) How many other children their sons raped, was Cobb convicted of selling marijuana?
11. Given the National Guard activity the day prior to the trial opening, Jake advises Ellen he will be forced to renew his plea for change of venue, ask for a mistrial, and then be certain of what?
(a) A fair trial is not being held.
(b) Judge Noose is clearly not taking an impartial position.
(c) The record shows that the trial is being held in "a three-ring circus."
(d) The trial is being held in violation of Mississippi State Statues.
12. Who else does Jake visit in the Memphis hospital?
(a) Wayne Miller, the National Guardsman.
(b) Willie MacKenzie, the National Guardsman.
(c) Wallie Macintyre, the National Guardsman.
(d) Woody Mackenvale, the National Guardsman.
13. When a juror is jumped by thugs at the Temple Inn, how is he threatened?
(a) At knifepoint; he will watch his family die if there is no conviction.
(b) One house has burned; his family's could too if there is no conviction.
(c) At knifepoint; they know where his family is if there is no conviction.
(d) At gunpoint; they know where his family is if there is no conviction.
14. On the evening before the trial begins, Ellen arrives at Jake's office suite carrying a thick, professional brief regarding the rape admissibility issue and begins to do what?
(a) Make margaritas.
(b) Make copies of the brief.
(c) Make coffee.
(d) Provide an overview of the issue.
15. Do the jurors and alternates attempt to discuss the case in violation of the judge's instructions?
(a) Yes, on a pay-phone in the Temple Inn lobby to family.
(b) Yes, on the bus enroute to the Temple Inn.
(d) Yes, in same-sex pairs while roomed at the Temple Inn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Following Jake's closing before the jury, he and Lucien are drinking on Lucien's front porch where Deputy Nesbit helps himself to what?
2. Why do Jake and Harry Rex go to the lake in the latter's pickup truck rather than the former's Saab after going to Memphis to visit the hospital?
3. How many black people does Lucien plan to bring to the courthouse and chant "Free Carl Lee"?
4. On Saturday morning following the shooting attack he survived, Jake surmises that both Lucien and Bass were drunk yesterday and driven home by Deputy Nesbit, and while he drinks a Bloody Mary, Jake prays what?
5. What happens when Carl Lee opens a courtroom window with a small balcony and the deputy nods?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)