|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Jake tells Ethel to shut up or quit when she informs him about his $4,000 in unpaid bills, less than $1,900 in the bank, and his failure to see clients or drop off promised files, what does she do?
(a) She angrily responds by throwing papers and storming out.
(b) She tearfully explains about the threatening phone calls, and her husband's ill health.
(c) She yells she has put up with his childishness long enough.
(d) She firmly states he could find no replacement to last a week.
2. What does Jake Brigance drive?
(a) A Rolls-Royce.
(b) A Jaguar.
(c) A Saab.
(d) A BMW.
3. On the morning of the day he first meets Ellen, what is it Jake recalls Carla could tell during their phone conversation the night before?
(a) That he was still in his office and eating takeout food.
(b) That he was drunk.
(c) That he had jut awoken from a deep sleep.
(d) That he was tired and had not gotten enough sleep.
4. What is Lester's local girlfriend's name, and how many children do they have?
(a) Champagne, 1.
(b) Frances, 1.
(c) Iris, 2.
(d) Iris, 1.
5. How long does it take Sheriff Ozzie Walls to obtain arrest warrants for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard?
(a) 20 minutes.
(b) 1 day.
(c) 12 hours.
(d) 2 hours.
6. What is the temperature at Reverend Agee's rally?
(a) 90 degrees.
(b) 80 degrees.
(c) 100 degrees.
(d) 70 degrees.
7. How do the other prisoners feel about Carl Lee taking meals with the sheriff?
8. How old is Tonya?
9. What is Tonya carrying when she is kidnapped?
(a) An armful of firewood.
(b) A basket of fish and a pole.
(c) A bag of groceries.
(d) Her school books.
10. Who has received threatening phone calls both at home and in the office?
(a) Percy Bullard.
(b) Gwen Hailey.
(c) Rufus Buckley.
(d) Ethel Twitty.
11. After her refusal to give the juror list to Jake, what does Jean Gillespie do when he reminds her of previously helping with her family and her reelection?
(a) Jean refuses and apologizes, but says that she has no alternative.
(b) She still refuses, and cries after Jake storms out.
(c) Jean is not concerned.
(d) Jean is sorry Jake storms out, but feels he will calm down.
12. Carla and Jake, raised as Baptist and Methodist respectively, have agreed to become what?
13. How does Ozzie get the bomb defused?
(a) He calls for an explosives expert in the next county to be helicoptered in.
(b) He handcuffs the man to the gas meter and puts the ticking case between his legs.
(c) He calls for an explosives expert at the Sheriff's Department.
(d) He has the case carefully taken to a secluded section of woods.
14. How long does the preliminary hearing for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard last?
(a) 10 minutes.
(b) 40 minutes.
(c) 20 minutes.
(d) 30 minutes.
15. At the city's largest black church, with NAACP officials and Gwen Hailey at his side, who announces the Carl Lee Hailey defense fund?
(a) Reverend Amos Oliver.
(b) Pastor Oster Angel.
(c) Pastor Malachi Aristotle.
(d) Reverend Ollie Agee.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reaction to the press conference?
2. Why does Jake decide to stay out of the Coffee Shop?
3. Where do Rufus Buckley's political ambitions lead him to?
4. How much does the NAACP initially contribute toward the defense of Carl Lee?
5. Who is Jake's favorite waitress at the Coffee Shop?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)