|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Carl Lee compare killing the white men who raped his daughter with killing the "gooks" in Vietnam?
(a) He feels worse about the killing in Mississippi.
(b) He feels worse about the killing in Vietnam.
(c) He feels killing both situations were equally necessary.
(d) He regrets the killing in Clanton.
2. What does Sheriff Walls testify during the change of venue hearing?
(a) Virtually all Ford County citizens don't know all the rape and murder facts, but have their minds made up.
(b) There are not 12 Ford County citizens that don't have all the rape and murder facts, and their minds are made up.
(c) The majority of Ford County citizens know all the rape and murder facts, and have their minds made up.
(d) Most Ford County citizens know most of the rape and murder facts, and have not made their minds up.
3. Since Jake insists he will not be a "gofer" for the NAACP, what is the response when Carl Lee asks what will happen to the $20,000 defense fund if he uses only Jake?
(a) The $20,000 only accompanies the NAACP defense team.
(b) Only a small portion will go to the Hailey family support fund.
(c) He will only receive half.
(d) He will receive it all.
4. Ollie Agee, the Hailey's pastor, convenes the Council of Ministers, a board of the local black ministry, which decides to do what?
(a) Bring in the NAACP.
(b) Initiate a fund and prayer vigil for the Hailey's.
(c) Initiate a defense fund for Carl Lee, a support fund for his family, and security for Hailey's home.
(d) Initiate a defense fund for Carl Lee, a support fund for his family, and bring in the NAACP.
5. What happens when Jake calls Lester in Chicago?
(a) Lester agrees to return to Clanton with little prompting.
(b) Lester says he cannot return until the trial.
(c) Lester agrees to return to Clanton with much prompting.
(d) Lester agrees to come back, but not soon.
6. Who begs Sheriff Ozzie Walls to reopen the local "tonks"?
(a) The local AA director.
(b) The local ministers.
(c) The schoolboard members.
(d) Parents of young children.
7. When Jake Brigance confides in Sheriff Walls that Carl Lee Hailey may be planning the murder of Cobb and Willard, what do they speculate about how they might feel?
(a) That they would not allow their daughters to testify.
(b) That they would carefully follow the trial.
(c) That they would move so their daughters could start over.
(d) That they might entertain murder.
8. Carla and Jake, raised as Baptist and Methodist respectively, have agreed to become what?
9. After being threatened by Marsharfsky, Jake does what?
(a) Lights a cheap cigar, and writes a complaint regarding Marsharfsky.
(b) Lights a cheap cigar, and writes a change of venue request.
(c) Lights an expensive Cuban cigar, and writes a change of venue request.
(d) Lights an expensive Caribbean cigar, and writes a complaint regarding Marsharfsky.
10. After Jake tells Ethel to shut up or quit when she informs him about his $4,000 in unpaid bills, less than $1,900 in the bank, and his failure to see clients or drop off promised files, what does she do?
(a) She angrily responds by throwing papers and storming out.
(b) She tearfully explains about the threatening phone calls, and her husband's ill health.
(c) She yells she has put up with his childishness long enough.
(d) She firmly states he could find no replacement to last a week.
11. After Jake wakes with a bad hangover, what does he do?
(a) Falls asleep at his desk.
(b) Sips a large cup of coffee and goes to work.
(c) Sits in the shower for an hour.
(d) Falls on the sofa in his office and wishes he could die.
12. Norman Reinfeld, the thirty-year-old Jewish supervisor of the NAACP defense team, graduated from which law school?
13. What is Lester's local girlfriend's name, and how many children do they have?
(a) Iris, 2.
(b) Frances, 1.
(c) Champagne, 1.
(d) Iris, 1.
14. How do the members of the council of black ministers arrive for strategic planning regarding the NAACP defense of Carl Lee?
(a) In their Cadillacs and Lincolns.
(b) Primarily in modest-priced vehicles.
(c) In Saabs and BMWs.
(d) In Chevrolets and Dodges.
15. What is the reaction to the press conference?
(a) It is a short clip on the 10:00 p.m. broadcast, and a short column with no photo in the back pages.
(b) It is a TV news hit, and the Hailey family photo appears on the front page.
(c) Nothing local, only in Jackson, Memphis, Atlanta and elsewhere.
(d) Primarily on TV news, and little in the newspapers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does the NAACP initially contribute toward the defense of Carl Lee?
2. How does Ozzie get the bomb defused?
3. Following the preliminary hearing for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard, who hides in the county courthouse after closing at 4:30 p.m. on Friday?
4. What does Jake Brigance drive?
5. According to Judge Noose, what is the largest media problem?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)