|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many murder trials has Jake Brigance served as the defense counsel prior to the preliminary hearing for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard?
2. How long does it take Sheriff Ozzie Walls to obtain arrest warrants for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard?
(a) 1 day.
(b) 12 hours.
(c) 2 hours.
(d) 20 minutes.
3. How much does the NAACP initially contribute toward the defense of Carl Lee?
4. How do the members of the council of black ministers arrive for strategic planning regarding the NAACP defense of Carl Lee?
(a) In their Cadillacs and Lincolns.
(b) In Saabs and BMWs.
(c) Primarily in modest-priced vehicles.
(d) In Chevrolets and Dodges.
5. The Hailey indictment is not mentioned on TV until a brief 10:00 p.m. news segment, so what is Jake's response?
(a) He does some paperwork.
(b) He orders pizza.
(c) He laughs.
(d) He yells angily and tosses a sofa pillow at the TV.
6. When does Agee agree to get the "love offering" funds for the Hailey family to Gwen?
(a) When Ozzie threatens to arrest him.
(b) When Jake threatens to prosecute.
(c) When Ozzie says he could tell the church of his stolen car, DUI, and funeral home kickbicks.
(d) When Carl Lee threatens to tell everyone of Agee's dirty dealings.
7. Judge Omar Noose initiated his career as a mediocre lawyer but good politician who served five terms in the state legislature, and during which he developed what?
(a) A moderate, but borderline dishonest lifestyle.
(b) A moderate, but totally honest lifestyle.
(c) A most affluent, dishonest lifestyle.
(d) A most affluent, honest lifestyle.
8. A convoy of how many buses carrying elderly blacks converge at the courthouse where Reverend Agee is holding a rally?
9. What is the temperature at Reverend Agee's rally?
(a) 100 degrees.
(b) 90 degrees.
(c) 80 degrees.
(d) 70 degrees.
10. Besides getting names and addresses, what does the Ku Klux Klan advise Freddie Cobb he must do to participate?
(a) Join the KKK and participate in the lynching of a black person.
(b) Join the KKK.
(c) Recruit 2 additional members and join the KKK.
(d) Recruit 5 or 6 members and join the KKK.
11. At the city's largest black church, with NAACP officials and Gwen Hailey at his side, who announces the Carl Lee Hailey defense fund?
(a) Pastor Malachi Aristotle.
(b) Reverend Ollie Agee.
(c) Pastor Oster Angel.
(d) Reverend Amos Oliver.
12. What is Jake's view of insurance companies and their lawyers?
(a) Jake understands the need for them, but does not like them.
(b) Jake is jealous and wishes he could be one.
(c) Jake has defended the insurance side and sees the need.
(d) Jake hates them both.
13. What have local attorneys dubbed Judge Omar Noose?
(b) Mickey Mouse.
(c) Abe Lincoln.
(d) Yogi Bear.
14. Where did K.T. "Cat" Bruster lose his eye?
(a) Deserts of Afghanistan.
(b) Rice patties of Vietnam.
(c) Back alleys of Chicago.
(d) Tenements of Memphis.
15. How do the other prisoners feel about Carl Lee taking meals with the sheriff?
Short Answer Questions
1. On the day before Carl Lee's preliminary hearing, Jake, knowing the grand jurors are not yet selected and will likely see this news broadcast on TV that evening, reminds interviewers of what?
2. What are the six capital defense attorneys of the NAACP known as?
3. How have Lucien and Harry Rex advised Jake regarding selection of women for the jury?
4. What does Jake Brigance drive?
5. What is Carla's reply when Jake asks her if she would convict Carl Lee Hailey for murdering Billy Ray Cobb if she were a jury member?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)