|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Following his motion to withdraw on Friday, Jake does what?
(a) Slips into the Court Clerk's office and quickly surveys Carl Lee's file.
(b) Advises with Lucien regarding the current status of Carl Lee case.
(c) Calls Marsharfsky to become his local associate in Carl Lee case.
(d) Confirms with his Court Clerk contact that there is nothing new in Carl Lee's file since withdrawal.
2. When Jake and Buckley are in the judge's office the day before the arraignment, what does the former request?
(a) 120 days to prepare.
(b) 60 days to prepare.
(c) 180 days to prepare.
(d) 90 days to prepare.
3. Since Jake insists he will not be a "gofer" for the NAACP, what is the response when Carl Lee asks what will happen to the $20,000 defense fund if he uses only Jake?
(a) He will receive it all.
(b) The $20,000 only accompanies the NAACP defense team.
(c) Only a small portion will go to the Hailey family support fund.
(d) He will only receive half.
4. What have local attorneys dubbed Judge Omar Noose?
(a) Yogi Bear.
(c) Abe Lincoln.
(d) Mickey Mouse.
5. After her refusal to give the juror list to Jake, what does Jean Gillespie do when he reminds her of previously helping with her family and her reelection?
(a) Jean is not concerned.
(b) Jean is sorry Jake storms out, but feels he will calm down.
(c) She still refuses, and cries after Jake storms out.
(d) Jean refuses and apologizes, but says that she has no alternative.
6. How much does the NAACP initially contribute toward the defense of Carl Lee?
7. What is Clanton doing to prepare for the national spotlight a week before the Carl Lee trial?
(a) Stray cats, dogs, other pets are being collected by Animal Control.
(b) Repainting stripes on Main Street, parking spaces, and Courthouse signs.
(c) Public facilities are being cleaned and rejuvenated.
(d) New parking meters are being installed.
8. What does Jake Brigance drive?
(a) A Jaguar.
(b) A BMW.
(c) A Rolls-Royce.
(d) A Saab.
9. How does Ozzie determine what is in the ticking case the stranger has brought to the front porch of of Jake's home?
(a) Ozzie breaks both of the man's ankles.
(b) He handcuffs the man to the gas meter and places the case between his legs.
(c) He threatens to break his ankles.
(d) He threatens to shoot both of his knees.
10. Why does Carl Lee fire Jake?
(a) Cat Bruster convinces him to do so.
(b) He has an argument with Jake.
(c) Jake could not get him out on bond.
(d) Carla has received more threats and asks him to.
11. When interviewed by TV journalists the day before Carl Lee's preliminary hearing, what does Jake tell them a Mississippi jury has as options when trying capital murder?
(a) Manslaughter with immediate parole, capital murder for life, and not guilty.
(b) Manslaughter for 20 years, capital murder for life or death, and not guilty.
(c) Manslaughter for 20 years, capital murder for life or death, and guilty.
(d) Manslaughter for 25 years, capital murder for life or death, and not guilty.
12. During their picnic, what is Carl Lee's response when Gwen questions him about his commitment to bring in a few hundred dollars to make ends meet?
(a) He remains silent.
(b) He firmly repeats that he will see what he can do.
(c) He reminds her he is still the man of the family.
(d) He states he is doing the best he can.
13. What illegal item does Carl Lee Hailey request to buy from K.T. "Cat" Bruster?
(a) An automatic M-16.
(b) An automatic AK-47.
(c) An automatic M-1 carbine.
(d) A .45 caliber semi-automatic.
14. What happens when Jake calls Lester in Chicago?
(a) Lester agrees to return to Clanton with much prompting.
(b) Lester agrees to return to Clanton with little prompting.
(c) Lester agrees to come back, but not soon.
(d) Lester says he cannot return until the trial.
15. Where does Ellen sleep after the jury strategy session is over and Jake is followed home by Deputy Nesbit?
(a) With a friend of Jake and Carla.
(b) In a motor lodge.
(c) In the Clanton Inn.
(d) On the office couch.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Rocky Childers?
2. After Jake wakes with a bad hangover, what does he do?
3. Jake's friend Harry Rex Vonner tells him the grand jury voted how on the Hailey indictment?
4. What is the temperature at Reverend Agee's rally?
5. On the day before Carl Lee's preliminary hearing, Jake, knowing the grand jurors are not yet selected and will likely see this news broadcast on TV that evening, reminds interviewers of what?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)