|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Tonya seated in the interview with Jake and the Hailey family?
(a) Seated in her daddy's lap.
(b) Seated in her mama's lap.
(c) She is afraid and is not present.
(d) Seated in her Uncle Lester's lap.
2. Where is Carl Lee seated during the change of venue hearing?
(a) Next to Jake, as required by court procedures.
(b) Still being examined by doctors.
(c) Carl Lee chose to stay in jail.
(d) Next to Jake, by his own choice.
3. Jake's friend Harry Rex Vonner tells him the grand jury voted how on the Hailey indictment?
4. When does Agee agree to get the "love offering" funds for the Hailey family to Gwen?
(a) When Ozzie threatens to arrest him.
(b) When Jake threatens to prosecute.
(c) When Carl Lee threatens to tell everyone of Agee's dirty dealings.
(d) When Ozzie says he could tell the church of his stolen car, DUI, and funeral home kickbicks.
5. When Jake Brigance confides in Sheriff Walls that Carl Lee Hailey may be planning the murder of Cobb and Willard, what do they speculate about how they might feel?
(a) That they would carefully follow the trial.
(b) That they might entertain murder.
(c) That they would move so their daughters could start over.
(d) That they would not allow their daughters to testify.
6. Why does the name of Clyde Sisco cause some stir during the meeting of Jake's jury strategy team?
(a) Lucien tells how he "bought" Sisco in a previous case.
(b) Lucien says Sisco is white, but has a daughter with a black girlfriend.
(c) Lucien says Sisco owes him, as he got him off of prior charges.
(d) Lucien states Sisco is one of few whites at Tank's Tonk.
7. Why does Carl Lee fire Jake?
(a) Jake could not get him out on bond.
(b) Cat Bruster convinces him to do so.
(c) Carla has received more threats and asks him to.
(d) He has an argument with Jake.
8. What is Carla's reply when Jake asks her if she would convict Carl Lee Hailey for murdering Billy Ray Cobb if she were a jury member?
(a) She would have to convict of a lesser charge.
(b) She would have to convict.
(c) She could not convict.
(d) It would be hard to convict.
9. What does Carl Lee Hailey feel his chances are, now that he has been arrested and charged with two counts of murder?
(a) He is not as confident as Jake Briance was on TV.
(b) He is confident Jake Brigance will get him off, as he did his brother.
(c) Hoping, but not expecting much in a predominantly white community.
(d) He is moderately confident, never hoping for too much.
10. What is Jake's view of insurance companies and their lawyers?
(a) Jake has defended the insurance side and sees the need.
(b) Jake hates them both.
(c) Jake understands the need for them, but does not like them.
(d) Jake is jealous and wishes he could be one.
11. How does Jake Brigance view the Carl Lee Hailey murder trial?
(a) As his ticket to the big time.
(b) An opportunity to earn money.
(c) With a four-year-old daughter of his own, he feels merely empathy.
(d) Solely as an opportunity to help a person of color.
12. What is Lester's local girlfriend's name, and how many children do they have?
(a) Iris, 1.
(b) Champagne, 1.
(c) Iris, 2.
(d) Frances, 1.
13. Where do Rufus Buckley's political ambitions lead him to?
(b) Washington, D.C.
(c) District Judge.
(d) State Attorney.
14. After Jake tells Ethel to shut up or quit when she informs him about his $4,000 in unpaid bills, less than $1,900 in the bank, and his failure to see clients or drop off promised files, what does she do?
(a) She firmly states he could find no replacement to last a week.
(b) She tearfully explains about the threatening phone calls, and her husband's ill health.
(c) She yells she has put up with his childishness long enough.
(d) She angrily responds by throwing papers and storming out.
15. How much has Jake been paid by Lester Hailey prior to the indictment?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ozzie do after he is tipped off three minutes after midnight on July 12 that the Brigance home is to be blown up within three hours?
2. At the city's largest black church, with NAACP officials and Gwen Hailey at his side, who announces the Carl Lee Hailey defense fund?
3. Where did K.T. "Cat" Bruster lose his eye?
4. Who is Jake's favorite waitress at the Coffee Shop?
5. Who begs Sheriff Ozzie Walls to reopen the local "tonks"?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)