|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the city's largest black church, with NAACP officials and Gwen Hailey at his side, who announces the Carl Lee Hailey defense fund?
(a) Reverend Amos Oliver.
(b) Pastor Oster Angel.
(c) Reverend Ollie Agee.
(d) Pastor Malachi Aristotle.
2. What is the temperature at Reverend Agee's rally?
(a) 90 degrees.
(b) 70 degrees.
(c) 80 degrees.
(d) 100 degrees.
3. What are the six capital defense attorneys of the NAACP known as?
(a) The "defense squad."
(b) The "always win team."
(c) The "last chance squad."
(d) The "death squad."
4. When Bo Marsharfsky calls requesting Jake to be his local associate, what is his response?
(a) Refuses, accuses him of solicitation, and threatens to report or have him reviewed by grand jury.
(b) Considers it briefly, then declines.
(c) Says nothing, and slams the phone down.
5. What is the reaction to the press conference?
(a) Nothing local, only in Jackson, Memphis, Atlanta and elsewhere.
(b) It is a TV news hit, and the Hailey family photo appears on the front page.
(c) It is a short clip on the 10:00 p.m. broadcast, and a short column with no photo in the back pages.
(d) Primarily on TV news, and little in the newspapers.
6. How does Carl Lee compare killing the white men who raped his daughter with killing the "gooks" in Vietnam?
(a) He feels worse about the killing in Vietnam.
(b) He feels killing both situations were equally necessary.
(c) He feels worse about the killing in Mississippi.
(d) He regrets the killing in Clanton.
7. How does Ozzie determine what is in the ticking case the stranger has brought to the front porch of of Jake's home?
(a) He handcuffs the man to the gas meter and places the case between his legs.
(b) He threatens to break his ankles.
(c) He threatens to shoot both of his knees.
(d) Ozzie breaks both of the man's ankles.
8. How much does the NAACP initially contribute toward the defense of Carl Lee?
9. On the morning of the day he first meets Ellen, what is it Jake recalls Carla could tell during their phone conversation the night before?
(a) That he was still in his office and eating takeout food.
(b) That he had jut awoken from a deep sleep.
(c) That he was tired and had not gotten enough sleep.
(d) That he was drunk.
10. What is Jake Brigance accustomed to doing on his office balcony?
(a) Have a cup of coffee.
(b) Light a cigar.
(c) Play his harmonica.
(d) Have a shot of quality bourbon.
11. When Jake and Buckley are in the judge's office the day before the arraignment, what does the former request?
(a) 180 days to prepare.
(b) 90 days to prepare.
(c) 60 days to prepare.
(d) 120 days to prepare.
12. Following Carl Lee's preliminary hearing, what does Jake attempt to do in the interview with New York Times reporter McKittrick?
(a) Get McKittrick to comprehend the danger and threat of the KKK.
(b) Get McKittrick to comprehend the complexity of murder cases.
(c) Get McKittrick to comprehend the reality of racism and other biases throughout the nation.
(d) Get McKittrick to comprehend the intricacies of this case.
13. Where do Rufus Buckley's political ambitions lead him to?
(a) District Judge.
(b) Washington, D.C.
(c) State Attorney.
14. Where is Carl Lee seated during the change of venue hearing?
(a) Next to Jake, by his own choice.
(b) Still being examined by doctors.
(c) Carl Lee chose to stay in jail.
(d) Next to Jake, as required by court procedures.
15. Following his motion to withdraw on Friday, Jake does what?
(a) Advises with Lucien regarding the current status of Carl Lee case.
(b) Confirms with his Court Clerk contact that there is nothing new in Carl Lee's file since withdrawal.
(c) Slips into the Court Clerk's office and quickly surveys Carl Lee's file.
(d) Calls Marsharfsky to become his local associate in Carl Lee case.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Jake tells Ethel to shut up or quit when she informs him about his $4,000 in unpaid bills, less than $1,900 in the bank, and his failure to see clients or drop off promised files, what does she do?
2. Sheriff Walls is concerned about Carl Lee's safety and comes up with what plan for transporting him to the courthouse on the day of his preliminary hearing?
3. During one phone call to Carla shortly prior to the trial, whose situation is Jake careful not to bring up?
4. What does Ozzie do after he is tipped off three minutes after midnight on July 12 that the Brigance home is to be blown up within three hours?
5. What is Lester's local girlfriend's name, and how many children do they have?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)