|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lester tells Carl Lee what when he visits his cell?
(a) He needs to leave, but will be back for his trial.
(b) He has to leave now.
(c) He needs to leave and will return when he is able.
(d) He will remain as long as is needed.
2. What is the temperature at Reverend Agee's rally?
(a) 80 degrees.
(b) 100 degrees.
(c) 90 degrees.
(d) 70 degrees.
3. After Jake wakes with a bad hangover, what does he do?
(a) Sips a large cup of coffee and goes to work.
(b) Falls asleep at his desk.
(c) Falls on the sofa in his office and wishes he could die.
(d) Sits in the shower for an hour.
4. Norman Reinfeld, the thirty-year-old Jewish supervisor of the NAACP defense team, graduated from which law school?
5. Who begs Sheriff Ozzie Walls to reopen the local "tonks"?
(a) The schoolboard members.
(b) The local AA director.
(c) The local ministers.
(d) Parents of young children.
6. The Sunday after Jake gets fired, he and Carla skip church and take Hanna where?
(a) Kite flying.
(b) On a picnic.
(d) To a zoo.
7. What is the reaction to the press conference?
(a) It is a short clip on the 10:00 p.m. broadcast, and a short column with no photo in the back pages.
(b) It is a TV news hit, and the Hailey family photo appears on the front page.
(c) Primarily on TV news, and little in the newspapers.
(d) Nothing local, only in Jackson, Memphis, Atlanta and elsewhere.
8. Where did K.T. "Cat" Bruster lose his eye?
(a) Rice patties of Vietnam.
(b) Deserts of Afghanistan.
(c) Tenements of Memphis.
(d) Back alleys of Chicago.
9. How much does the NAACP initially contribute toward the defense of Carl Lee?
10. On the morning of the day he first meets Ellen, what is it Jake recalls Carla could tell during their phone conversation the night before?
(a) That he had jut awoken from a deep sleep.
(b) That he was drunk.
(c) That he was tired and had not gotten enough sleep.
(d) That he was still in his office and eating takeout food.
11. Why does Carl Lee fire Jake?
(a) He has an argument with Jake.
(b) Cat Bruster convinces him to do so.
(c) Jake could not get him out on bond.
(d) Carla has received more threats and asks him to.
12. The Hailey indictment is not mentioned on TV until a brief 10:00 p.m. news segment, so what is Jake's response?
(a) He yells angily and tosses a sofa pillow at the TV.
(b) He laughs.
(c) He orders pizza.
(d) He does some paperwork.
13. What is Jake Brigance accustomed to doing on his office balcony?
(a) Have a cup of coffee.
(b) Have a shot of quality bourbon.
(c) Play his harmonica.
(d) Light a cigar.
14. Besides getting names and addresses, what does the Ku Klux Klan advise Freddie Cobb he must do to participate?
(a) Recruit 5 or 6 members and join the KKK.
(b) Join the KKK and participate in the lynching of a black person.
(c) Recruit 2 additional members and join the KKK.
(d) Join the KKK.
15. Days before the trial, Gwen Hailey calls Jake and informs him she is behind on house payments, the utilities might be shut off, and has only received how much from the church council?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jake decide to stay out of the Coffee Shop?
2. Where does Ellen sleep after the jury strategy session is over and Jake is followed home by Deputy Nesbit?
3. After her refusal to give the juror list to Jake, what does Jean Gillespie do when he reminds her of previously helping with her family and her reelection?
4. When a Memphis TV crew requests to be allowed to film the trial, what does Judge Willard Bullard do?
5. How much has Jake been paid by Lester Hailey prior to the indictment?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)