|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did K.T. "Cat" Bruster lose his eye?
(a) Tenements of Memphis.
(b) Back alleys of Chicago.
(c) Deserts of Afghanistan.
(d) Rice patties of Vietnam.
2. After being threatened by Marsharfsky, Jake does what?
(a) Lights an expensive Cuban cigar, and writes a change of venue request.
(b) Lights a cheap cigar, and writes a complaint regarding Marsharfsky.
(c) Lights an expensive Caribbean cigar, and writes a complaint regarding Marsharfsky.
(d) Lights a cheap cigar, and writes a change of venue request.
3. After Ozzie summons Jake to meet with Lester and Carl Lee and Carl Lee rehires Jake because his brother "wants me to," what does Carl Lee say?
(a) Carl Lee admits he trusts Jake, and wants his services.
(b) Carl Lee states he does not trust Jake, but trusts the Shark less.
(c) Carl Lee states the Sheriff has convinced him Jake is a good choice.
(d) Carl Lee persists he is only following Lester's request.
4. Where do Rufus Buckley's political ambitions lead him to?
(a) Washington, D.C.
(b) State Attorney.
(c) District Judge.
5. What is Lester's local girlfriend's name, and how many children do they have?
(a) Iris, 1.
(b) Iris, 2.
(c) Champagne, 1.
(d) Frances, 1.
6. Several days following his being rehired by Carl Lee, Jake is summoned to Lucien's home to meet whom?
(a) Dr. W.T. Bass, retired podiatrist.
(b) Dr. W.T. Bass, retired psychiatrist.
(c) Dr. W.T. Bass, retired pediatrician.
(d) Dr. W.T. Bass, retired psychologist.
7. When Bo Marsharfsky calls requesting Jake to be his local associate, what is his response?
(a) Refuses, accuses him of solicitation, and threatens to report or have him reviewed by grand jury.
(b) Says nothing, and slams the phone down.
(c) Considers it briefly, then declines.
8. How much does the NAACP initially contribute toward the defense of Carl Lee?
9. Following the preliminary hearing for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard, who hides in the county courthouse after closing at 4:30 p.m. on Friday?
(a) Lester Hailey.
(b) Lucien Wilbanks.
(c) Carl Lee Hailey.
(d) Jake Brigance.
10. On the day before Carl Lee's preliminary hearing, Jake, knowing the grand jurors are not yet selected and will likely see this news broadcast on TV that evening, reminds interviewers of what?
(a) They might not be able to come to a decision.
(b) They might rule it took place in the heat of the moment.
(c) They might find he was temporarily insane.
(d) They might not indict.
11. During their picnic, what is Carl Lee's response when Gwen questions him about his commitment to bring in a few hundred dollars to make ends meet?
(a) He states he is doing the best he can.
(b) He firmly repeats that he will see what he can do.
(c) He remains silent.
(d) He reminds her he is still the man of the family.
12. Since Jake insists he will not be a "gofer" for the NAACP, what is the response when Carl Lee asks what will happen to the $20,000 defense fund if he uses only Jake?
(a) He will receive it all.
(b) The $20,000 only accompanies the NAACP defense team.
(c) He will only receive half.
(d) Only a small portion will go to the Hailey family support fund.
13. Where is Carl Lee seated during the change of venue hearing?
(a) Still being examined by doctors.
(b) Carl Lee chose to stay in jail.
(c) Next to Jake, as required by court procedures.
(d) Next to Jake, by his own choice.
14. After Jake wakes with a bad hangover, what does he do?
(a) Falls on the sofa in his office and wishes he could die.
(b) Sips a large cup of coffee and goes to work.
(c) Falls asleep at his desk.
(d) Sits in the shower for an hour.
15. Who begs Sheriff Ozzie Walls to reopen the local "tonks"?
(a) The local ministers.
(b) Parents of young children.
(c) The local AA director.
(d) The schoolboard members.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the other prisoners feel about Carl Lee taking meals with the sheriff?
2. What is Jake's view of insurance companies and their lawyers?
3. How much has Jake been paid by Lester Hailey prior to the indictment?
4. What is the reaction to the press conference?
5. Why does Jake threaten to fire his secretary Ethel?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)