|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How have Lucien and Harry Rex advised Jake regarding selection of women for the jury?
(a) Both are opposed.
(b) Harry Rex is in favor, Lucien is opposed.
(c) Lucien is in favor, Harry Rex is opposed.
(d) Both are in favor.
2. Where do Rufus Buckley's political ambitions lead him to?
(a) District Judge.
(b) State Attorney.
(d) Washington, D.C.
3. What do the participants chant at the rally?
(a) "Amazing grace."
(b) "Free Carl Lee."
(c) "We want a just trial."
(d) "We will overcome."
4. On the day before Carl Lee's preliminary hearing, Jake, knowing the grand jurors are not yet selected and will likely see this news broadcast on TV that evening, reminds interviewers of what?
(a) They might rule it took place in the heat of the moment.
(b) They might not be able to come to a decision.
(c) They might not indict.
(d) They might find he was temporarily insane.
5. Norman Reinfeld, the thirty-year-old Jewish supervisor of the NAACP defense team, graduated from which law school?
6. How much has Jake been paid by Lester Hailey prior to the indictment?
7. What is Clanton doing to prepare for the national spotlight a week before the Carl Lee trial?
(a) Public facilities are being cleaned and rejuvenated.
(b) New parking meters are being installed.
(c) Stray cats, dogs, other pets are being collected by Animal Control.
(d) Repainting stripes on Main Street, parking spaces, and Courthouse signs.
8. Why does the name of Clyde Sisco cause some stir during the meeting of Jake's jury strategy team?
(a) Lucien says Sisco owes him, as he got him off of prior charges.
(b) Lucien says Sisco is white, but has a daughter with a black girlfriend.
(c) Lucien states Sisco is one of few whites at Tank's Tonk.
(d) Lucien tells how he "bought" Sisco in a previous case.
9. What have local attorneys dubbed Judge Omar Noose?
(a) Abe Lincoln.
(b) Yogi Bear.
(c) Mickey Mouse.
10. What does Sheriff Walls testify during the change of venue hearing?
(a) Virtually all Ford County citizens don't know all the rape and murder facts, but have their minds made up.
(b) The majority of Ford County citizens know all the rape and murder facts, and have their minds made up.
(c) There are not 12 Ford County citizens that don't have all the rape and murder facts, and their minds are made up.
(d) Most Ford County citizens know most of the rape and murder facts, and have not made their minds up.
11. What is Carla's reply when Jake asks her if she would convict Carl Lee Hailey for murdering Billy Ray Cobb if she were a jury member?
(a) She would have to convict of a lesser charge.
(b) It would be hard to convict.
(c) She would have to convict.
(d) She could not convict.
12. Why does Jake decide to stay out of the Coffee Shop?
(a) Since being fired, he regrets the TV footage, and wants to avoid locals.
(b) The manager asked him to because he represented Carl Lee and business was down.
(c) He got into an argument with his favorite waitress.
(d) He had a bad breakfast there one morning and got sick.
13. Carla and Jake, raised as Baptist and Methodist respectively, have agreed to become what?
14. What is the temperature at Reverend Agee's rally?
(a) 80 degrees.
(b) 70 degrees.
(c) 90 degrees.
(d) 100 degrees.
15. What is Lester's local girlfriend's name, and how many children do they have?
(a) Iris, 1.
(b) Frances, 1.
(c) Iris, 2.
(d) Champagne, 1.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jake and Buckley are in the judge's office the day before the arraignment, what does the former request?
2. Where is Carl Lee seated during the change of venue hearing?
3. What three individuals were aware of what would likely take place, so the double murder does not surprise them?
4. During one phone call to Carla shortly prior to the trial, whose situation is Jake careful not to bring up?
5. What does Jake Brigance drive?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)