|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take Sheriff Ozzie Walls to obtain arrest warrants for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard?
(a) 12 hours.
(b) 2 hours.
(c) 20 minutes.
(d) 1 day.
2. How does Ozzie determine what is in the ticking case the stranger has brought to the front porch of of Jake's home?
(a) He threatens to break his ankles.
(b) He handcuffs the man to the gas meter and places the case between his legs.
(c) He threatens to shoot both of his knees.
(d) Ozzie breaks both of the man's ankles.
3. Jake Brigance advises deputies that Billy Ray Cobb could receive life plus 40 years if he is convicted on all charges, and could be paroled how soon if Tonya lives?
(a) No parole.
(b) 25 years.
(c) 13 years.
(d) 20 years.
4. When Lucien Wilbanks inherited the family law firm in 1965, what does he keep?
(a) His father's favorite secretary, Ethel Twitty.
(b) His father's entire legal staff.
(c) His father's favorite hunting rifles.
(d) A brank new Ford Mustang.
5. What illegal item does Carl Lee Hailey request to buy from K.T. "Cat" Bruster?
(a) An automatic AK-47.
(b) An automatic M-1 carbine.
(c) An automatic M-16.
(d) A .45 caliber semi-automatic.
6. How is Ford County Sheriff viewed by the local citizenry?
(a) He is respected and loved by black residents primarily, not white residents.
(b) He is respected and loved by white residents primarily, not black residents.
(c) He is respected and loved by virtually all, both black and white residents.
(d) He is not respected nor loved by many black or white residents.
7. On his way back to Mississippi, what is Lester doing?
(a) Reflecting on how he got off.
(b) Reflecting on how he can help Carl Lee pay for legal services.
(c) Reflecting on how he will get Carl Lee to rehire Jake.
(d) Reflecting on his failing marriage.
8. Several days following his being rehired by Carl Lee, Jake is summoned to Lucien's home to meet whom?
(a) Dr. W.T. Bass, retired podiatrist.
(b) Dr. W.T. Bass, retired psychologist.
(c) Dr. W.T. Bass, retired psychiatrist.
(d) Dr. W.T. Bass, retired pediatrician.
9. What are the six capital defense attorneys of the NAACP known as?
(a) The "defense squad."
(b) The "death squad."
(c) The "always win team."
(d) The "last chance squad."
10. Lester tells Carl Lee what when he visits his cell?
(a) He needs to leave, but will be back for his trial.
(b) He will remain as long as is needed.
(c) He has to leave now.
(d) He needs to leave and will return when he is able.
11. After being threatened by Marsharfsky, Jake does what?
(a) Lights an expensive Cuban cigar, and writes a change of venue request.
(b) Lights a cheap cigar, and writes a complaint regarding Marsharfsky.
(c) Lights a cheap cigar, and writes a change of venue request.
(d) Lights an expensive Caribbean cigar, and writes a complaint regarding Marsharfsky.
12. Why does Jake threaten to fire his secretary Ethel?
(a) She has repeatedly been late to work and taken long lunch breaks.
(b) She has allowed calls to come to his office phone before 8:30 a.m.
(c) She has allowed someone to await his return in his office.
(d) She has brought individuals to his office before advising of their presence.
13. After her refusal to give the juror list to Jake, what does Jean Gillespie do when he reminds her of previously helping with her family and her reelection?
(a) Jean refuses and apologizes, but says that she has no alternative.
(b) She still refuses, and cries after Jake storms out.
(c) Jean is sorry Jake storms out, but feels he will calm down.
(d) Jean is not concerned.
14. After Ozzie summons Jake to meet with Lester and Carl Lee and Carl Lee rehires Jake because his brother "wants me to," what does Carl Lee say?
(a) Carl Lee admits he trusts Jake, and wants his services.
(b) Carl Lee states the Sheriff has convinced him Jake is a good choice.
(c) Carl Lee states he does not trust Jake, but trusts the Shark less.
(d) Carl Lee persists he is only following Lester's request.
15. What is Tonya carrying when she is kidnapped?
(a) A bag of groceries.
(b) Her school books.
(c) A basket of fish and a pole.
(d) An armful of firewood.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Rocky Childers?
2. Where is Carl Lee seated during the change of venue hearing?
3. Why does Carl Lee fire Jake?
4. Following the preliminary hearing for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard, who hides in the county courthouse after closing at 4:30 p.m. on Friday?
5. What does Carl Lee Hailey feel his chances are, now that he has been arrested and charged with two counts of murder?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)