|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the name of Clyde Sisco cause some stir during the meeting of Jake's jury strategy team?
(a) Lucien says Sisco is white, but has a daughter with a black girlfriend.
(b) Lucien tells how he "bought" Sisco in a previous case.
(c) Lucien states Sisco is one of few whites at Tank's Tonk.
(d) Lucien says Sisco owes him, as he got him off of prior charges.
2. Where do Rufus Buckley's political ambitions lead him to?
(a) State Attorney.
(b) District Judge.
(c) Washington, D.C.
3. How many murder trials has Jake Brigance served as the defense counsel prior to the preliminary hearing for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard?
4. What have local attorneys dubbed Judge Omar Noose?
(a) Mickey Mouse.
(b) Yogi Bear.
(c) Abe Lincoln.
5. How does Ozzie determine what is in the ticking case the stranger has brought to the front porch of of Jake's home?
(a) Ozzie breaks both of the man's ankles.
(b) He handcuffs the man to the gas meter and places the case between his legs.
(c) He threatens to break his ankles.
(d) He threatens to shoot both of his knees.
6. Sheriff Walls is concerned about Carl Lee's safety and comes up with what plan for transporting him to the courthouse on the day of his preliminary hearing?
(a) Finds a prisoner resembling Carl Lee, and has him transported in another cruiser for reporters to follow.
(b) Finds a prisoner resembling Carl Lee, and has him break and run for reporters to chase.
(c) Has Carl Lee dressed as deputy with toy gun in holster, and transported in the front seat of cruiser.
(d) Finds a prisoner resembling Carl Lee, and has him transported with Carl Lee.
7. When does Agee agree to get the "love offering" funds for the Hailey family to Gwen?
(a) When Ozzie threatens to arrest him.
(b) When Carl Lee threatens to tell everyone of Agee's dirty dealings.
(c) When Jake threatens to prosecute.
(d) When Ozzie says he could tell the church of his stolen car, DUI, and funeral home kickbicks.
8. Carla and Jake, raised as Baptist and Methodist respectively, have agreed to become what?
9. On the morning of the day he first meets Ellen, what is it Jake recalls Carla could tell during their phone conversation the night before?
(a) That he was tired and had not gotten enough sleep.
(b) That he had jut awoken from a deep sleep.
(c) That he was drunk.
(d) That he was still in his office and eating takeout food.
10. What happens when Jake calls Lester in Chicago?
(a) Lester agrees to come back, but not soon.
(b) Lester says he cannot return until the trial.
(c) Lester agrees to return to Clanton with much prompting.
(d) Lester agrees to return to Clanton with little prompting.
11. How long does the preliminary hearing for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard last?
(a) 40 minutes.
(b) 20 minutes.
(c) 10 minutes.
(d) 30 minutes.
12. When Jake informs Ellen of the threats received by phone, the bombing attempt, and other dangers the job may entail, what is her response?
(a) That she carries licensed, snub-nose protection in her purse.
(b) She is not afraid and will take her chances.
(c) She changes her mind and leaves town.
(d) She will rely on the Sheriff's Department to protect as needed.
13. On the day before Carl Lee's preliminary hearing, Jake, knowing the grand jurors are not yet selected and will likely see this news broadcast on TV that evening, reminds interviewers of what?
(a) They might find he was temporarily insane.
(b) They might not be able to come to a decision.
(c) They might rule it took place in the heat of the moment.
(d) They might not indict.
14. How much does the NAACP initially contribute toward the defense of Carl Lee?
15. How does Ozzie get the bomb defused?
(a) He handcuffs the man to the gas meter and puts the ticking case between his legs.
(b) He calls for an explosives expert in the next county to be helicoptered in.
(c) He has the case carefully taken to a secluded section of woods.
(d) He calls for an explosives expert at the Sheriff's Department.
Short Answer Questions
1. During one phone call to Carla shortly prior to the trial, whose situation is Jake careful not to bring up?
2. Why does Lucien advise Jake he needs to seek a change of venue?
3. How old is Tonya?
4. Where does Ellen sleep after the jury strategy session is over and Jake is followed home by Deputy Nesbit?
5. Who is Jake's favorite waitress at the Coffee Shop?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)