|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Carl Lee fire Jake?
(a) Carla has received more threats and asks him to.
(b) Jake could not get him out on bond.
(c) Cat Bruster convinces him to do so.
(d) He has an argument with Jake.
2. How does Ozzie determine what is in the ticking case the stranger has brought to the front porch of of Jake's home?
(a) He threatens to shoot both of his knees.
(b) Ozzie breaks both of the man's ankles.
(c) He threatens to break his ankles.
(d) He handcuffs the man to the gas meter and places the case between his legs.
3. On the day before Carl Lee's preliminary hearing, Jake, knowing the grand jurors are not yet selected and will likely see this news broadcast on TV that evening, reminds interviewers of what?
(a) They might not indict.
(b) They might not be able to come to a decision.
(c) They might rule it took place in the heat of the moment.
(d) They might find he was temporarily insane.
4. The Hailey indictment is not mentioned on TV until a brief 10:00 p.m. news segment, so what is Jake's response?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He does some paperwork.
(c) He orders pizza.
(d) He yells angily and tosses a sofa pillow at the TV.
5. What is Carla's reply when Jake asks her if she would convict Carl Lee Hailey for murdering Billy Ray Cobb if she were a jury member?
(a) It would be hard to convict.
(b) She would have to convict of a lesser charge.
(c) She would have to convict.
(d) She could not convict.
6. At the city's largest black church, with NAACP officials and Gwen Hailey at his side, who announces the Carl Lee Hailey defense fund?
(a) Pastor Oster Angel.
(b) Reverend Amos Oliver.
(c) Reverend Ollie Agee.
(d) Pastor Malachi Aristotle.
7. The Sunday after Jake gets fired, he and Carla skip church and take Hanna where?
(b) On a picnic.
(c) Kite flying.
(d) To a zoo.
8. Where is Tonya seated in the interview with Jake and the Hailey family?
(a) Seated in her Uncle Lester's lap.
(b) Seated in her daddy's lap.
(c) She is afraid and is not present.
(d) Seated in her mama's lap.
9. After Jake wakes with a bad hangover, what does he do?
(a) Sits in the shower for an hour.
(b) Falls on the sofa in his office and wishes he could die.
(c) Sips a large cup of coffee and goes to work.
(d) Falls asleep at his desk.
10. What does Carl Lee Hailey feel his chances are, now that he has been arrested and charged with two counts of murder?
(a) He is moderately confident, never hoping for too much.
(b) He is confident Jake Brigance will get him off, as he did his brother.
(c) Hoping, but not expecting much in a predominantly white community.
(d) He is not as confident as Jake Briance was on TV.
11. Who has received threatening phone calls both at home and in the office?
(a) Gwen Hailey.
(b) Ethel Twitty.
(c) Rufus Buckley.
(d) Percy Bullard.
12. Norman Reinfeld, the thirty-year-old Jewish supervisor of the NAACP defense team, graduated from which law school?
13. Where is the Ku Klux Klan meeting when Freddie Cobb, Billy Ray's brother, is stipulating to the Imperial Wizard that that they must get involved?
(a) Deep in the woods of Nettles County, 230 miles south of Clanton.
(b) Deep in the woods of Durham County, 125 miles northeast of Clanton.
(c) In a warehouse in an industrial park, late at night.
(d) In a barn on an abandoned farm, 20 miles outside Vicksburg.
14. How long does it take Sheriff Ozzie Walls to obtain arrest warrants for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard?
(a) 12 hours.
(b) 2 hours.
(c) 20 minutes.
(d) 1 day.
15. What does Sheriff Walls testify during the change of venue hearing?
(a) The majority of Ford County citizens know all the rape and murder facts, and have their minds made up.
(b) There are not 12 Ford County citizens that don't have all the rape and murder facts, and their minds are made up.
(c) Virtually all Ford County citizens don't know all the rape and murder facts, but have their minds made up.
(d) Most Ford County citizens know most of the rape and murder facts, and have not made their minds up.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ozzie get the bomb defused?
2. Following the preliminary hearing for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard, who hides in the county courthouse after closing at 4:30 p.m. on Friday?
3. Who is Rocky Childers?
4. Following Carl Lee's preliminary hearing, what does Jake attempt to do in the interview with New York Times reporter McKittrick?
5. When interviewed by TV journalists the day before Carl Lee's preliminary hearing, what does Jake tell them a Mississippi jury has as options when trying capital murder?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)