|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After being threatened by Marsharfsky, Jake does what?
(a) Lights a cheap cigar, and writes a change of venue request.
(b) Lights an expensive Cuban cigar, and writes a change of venue request.
(c) Lights an expensive Caribbean cigar, and writes a complaint regarding Marsharfsky.
(d) Lights a cheap cigar, and writes a complaint regarding Marsharfsky.
2. How do the other prisoners feel about Carl Lee taking meals with the sheriff?
3. Why does Lucien advise Jake he needs to seek a change of venue?
(a) The chances for a less experienced prosecutor are better.
(b) To get at least one black jury member.
(c) The KKK in Ford County is very strong.
(d) Everyone in Ford County has already made their minds up.
4. What does Sheriff Walls testify during the change of venue hearing?
(a) There are not 12 Ford County citizens that don't have all the rape and murder facts, and their minds are made up.
(b) The majority of Ford County citizens know all the rape and murder facts, and have their minds made up.
(c) Most Ford County citizens know most of the rape and murder facts, and have not made their minds up.
(d) Virtually all Ford County citizens don't know all the rape and murder facts, but have their minds made up.
5. What is Jake Brigance accustomed to doing on his office balcony?
(a) Have a cup of coffee.
(b) Have a shot of quality bourbon.
(c) Light a cigar.
(d) Play his harmonica.
6. During one phone call to Carla shortly prior to the trial, whose situation is Jake careful not to bring up?
(a) Ozzie Walls'.
(b) Gwem Hailey's.
(c) Reverend Agee's.
(d) Bud Twitty's.
7. Following the preliminary hearing for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard, who hides in the county courthouse after closing at 4:30 p.m. on Friday?
(a) Lucien Wilbanks.
(b) Jake Brigance.
(c) Carl Lee Hailey.
(d) Lester Hailey.
8. Where is Carl Lee seated during the change of venue hearing?
(a) Next to Jake, as required by court procedures.
(b) Carl Lee chose to stay in jail.
(c) Still being examined by doctors.
(d) Next to Jake, by his own choice.
9. How long does it take Sheriff Ozzie Walls to obtain arrest warrants for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard?
(a) 2 hours.
(b) 20 minutes.
(c) 1 day.
(d) 12 hours.
10. Lester tells Carl Lee what when he visits his cell?
(a) He has to leave now.
(b) He needs to leave and will return when he is able.
(c) He will remain as long as is needed.
(d) He needs to leave, but will be back for his trial.
11. After Jake tells Ethel to shut up or quit when she informs him about his $4,000 in unpaid bills, less than $1,900 in the bank, and his failure to see clients or drop off promised files, what does she do?
(a) She yells she has put up with his childishness long enough.
(b) She firmly states he could find no replacement to last a week.
(c) She angrily responds by throwing papers and storming out.
(d) She tearfully explains about the threatening phone calls, and her husband's ill health.
12. How is Ford County Sheriff viewed by the local citizenry?
(a) He is respected and loved by virtually all, both black and white residents.
(b) He is respected and loved by white residents primarily, not black residents.
(c) He is not respected nor loved by many black or white residents.
(d) He is respected and loved by black residents primarily, not white residents.
13. After her refusal to give the juror list to Jake, what does Jean Gillespie do when he reminds her of previously helping with her family and her reelection?
(a) She still refuses, and cries after Jake storms out.
(b) Jean is sorry Jake storms out, but feels he will calm down.
(c) Jean is not concerned.
(d) Jean refuses and apologizes, but says that she has no alternative.
14. Days before the trial, Gwen Hailey calls Jake and informs him she is behind on house payments, the utilities might be shut off, and has only received how much from the church council?
15. When does Agee agree to get the "love offering" funds for the Hailey family to Gwen?
(a) When Carl Lee threatens to tell everyone of Agee's dirty dealings.
(b) When Ozzie says he could tell the church of his stolen car, DUI, and funeral home kickbicks.
(c) When Ozzie threatens to arrest him.
(d) When Jake threatens to prosecute.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Sunday after Jake gets fired, he and Carla skip church and take Hanna where?
2. When Bo Marsharfsky calls requesting Jake to be his local associate, what is his response?
3. Lester Hailey has driven to Clanton from where?
4. When Jake informs Ellen of the threats received by phone, the bombing attempt, and other dangers the job may entail, what is her response?
5. How does Carl Lee compare killing the white men who raped his daughter with killing the "gooks" in Vietnam?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)