|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Several days following his being rehired by Carl Lee, Jake is summoned to Lucien's home to meet whom?
(a) Dr. W.T. Bass, retired pediatrician.
(b) Dr. W.T. Bass, retired psychiatrist.
(c) Dr. W.T. Bass, retired psychologist.
(d) Dr. W.T. Bass, retired podiatrist.
2. When Jake Brigance confides in Sheriff Walls that Carl Lee Hailey may be planning the murder of Cobb and Willard, what do they speculate about how they might feel?
(a) That they would move so their daughters could start over.
(b) That they would not allow their daughters to testify.
(c) That they might entertain murder.
(d) That they would carefully follow the trial.
3. Why does the name of Clyde Sisco cause some stir during the meeting of Jake's jury strategy team?
(a) Lucien states Sisco is one of few whites at Tank's Tonk.
(b) Lucien says Sisco is white, but has a daughter with a black girlfriend.
(c) Lucien tells how he "bought" Sisco in a previous case.
(d) Lucien says Sisco owes him, as he got him off of prior charges.
4. How have Lucien and Harry Rex advised Jake regarding selection of women for the jury?
(a) Both are opposed.
(b) Both are in favor.
(c) Harry Rex is in favor, Lucien is opposed.
(d) Lucien is in favor, Harry Rex is opposed.
5. What three individuals were aware of what would likely take place, so the double murder does not surprise them?
(a) Lester Hailey, Jake Brigance, Judge Bullard.
(b) Carla Brigance, Pete Willard, Billy Ray Cobb.
(c) Ozzie Walls, Jake Brigance, Carl Lee Hailey.
(d) Ozzie Walls, K.T. "Cat" Bruster, Deputy Looney.
6. Following Carl Lee's preliminary hearing, what does Jake attempt to do in the interview with New York Times reporter McKittrick?
(a) Get McKittrick to comprehend the danger and threat of the KKK.
(b) Get McKittrick to comprehend the intricacies of this case.
(c) Get McKittrick to comprehend the complexity of murder cases.
(d) Get McKittrick to comprehend the reality of racism and other biases throughout the nation.
7. What does Jake Brigance drive?
(a) A Rolls-Royce.
(b) A Jaguar.
(c) A Saab.
(d) A BMW.
8. Where did K.T. "Cat" Bruster lose his eye?
(a) Tenements of Memphis.
(b) Back alleys of Chicago.
(c) Deserts of Afghanistan.
(d) Rice patties of Vietnam.
9. How long does it take Sheriff Ozzie Walls to obtain arrest warrants for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard?
(a) 20 minutes.
(b) 1 day.
(c) 12 hours.
(d) 2 hours.
10. When interviewed by TV journalists the day before Carl Lee's preliminary hearing, what does Jake tell them a Mississippi jury has as options when trying capital murder?
(a) Manslaughter for 20 years, capital murder for life or death, and not guilty.
(b) Manslaughter for 25 years, capital murder for life or death, and not guilty.
(c) Manslaughter with immediate parole, capital murder for life, and not guilty.
(d) Manslaughter for 20 years, capital murder for life or death, and guilty.
11. How does Ozzie determine what is in the ticking case the stranger has brought to the front porch of of Jake's home?
(a) He threatens to break his ankles.
(b) Ozzie breaks both of the man's ankles.
(c) He handcuffs the man to the gas meter and places the case between his legs.
(d) He threatens to shoot both of his knees.
12. When a Memphis TV crew requests to be allowed to film the trial, what does Judge Willard Bullard do?
(a) Advises they may film, but it will all be reviewed by the county prosecutor.
(b) Advises they may only film inside the courtroom, they may not broadcast.
(c) Grants them permission so long as they do not interfere with proceedings.
(d) Instructs the county courtroom deputy, Mr. Pate, to throw them out.
13. What is the temperature at Reverend Agee's rally?
(a) 90 degrees.
(b) 80 degrees.
(c) 100 degrees.
(d) 70 degrees.
14. What does Tonya, who suffers from endless nightmares and is certain that her attackers are after her, insist on?
(a) That her mother sleep with her, and her brothers sleep outside her bedroom door.
(b) That Deputy Willie Hastings, Tonya's uncle, sit under her bedroom window.
(c) That one of her brothers sleep outside her bedroom, and the other sit under her window.
(d) That every light in the home stay on all night, and her brothers sleep outside her door.
15. What does Sheriff Walls testify during the change of venue hearing?
(a) There are not 12 Ford County citizens that don't have all the rape and murder facts, and their minds are made up.
(b) The majority of Ford County citizens know all the rape and murder facts, and have their minds made up.
(c) Virtually all Ford County citizens don't know all the rape and murder facts, but have their minds made up.
(d) Most Ford County citizens know most of the rape and murder facts, and have not made their minds up.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Ford County Sheriff viewed by the local citizenry?
2. How does Carl Lee compare killing the white men who raped his daughter with killing the "gooks" in Vietnam?
3. After Jake wakes with a bad hangover, what does he do?
4. Lester Hailey has driven to Clanton from where?
5. Carla and Jake, raised as Baptist and Methodist respectively, have agreed to become what?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)