|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jake Brigance drive?
(a) A Saab.
(b) A BMW.
(c) A Jaguar.
(d) A Rolls-Royce.
2. Who is Rocky Childers?
(a) Tavern owner.
(b) Ford County Judge.
(c) Ford County Prosecutor.
(d) Ford County Sheriff.
3. Why does the name of Clyde Sisco cause some stir during the meeting of Jake's jury strategy team?
(a) Lucien says Sisco is white, but has a daughter with a black girlfriend.
(b) Lucien says Sisco owes him, as he got him off of prior charges.
(c) Lucien states Sisco is one of few whites at Tank's Tonk.
(d) Lucien tells how he "bought" Sisco in a previous case.
4. Why does Jake decide to stay out of the Coffee Shop?
(a) He got into an argument with his favorite waitress.
(b) He had a bad breakfast there one morning and got sick.
(c) The manager asked him to because he represented Carl Lee and business was down.
(d) Since being fired, he regrets the TV footage, and wants to avoid locals.
5. During one phone call to Carla shortly prior to the trial, whose situation is Jake careful not to bring up?
(a) Bud Twitty's.
(b) Gwem Hailey's.
(c) Ozzie Walls'.
(d) Reverend Agee's.
6. What three individuals were aware of what would likely take place, so the double murder does not surprise them?
(a) Carla Brigance, Pete Willard, Billy Ray Cobb.
(b) Ozzie Walls, K.T. "Cat" Bruster, Deputy Looney.
(c) Lester Hailey, Jake Brigance, Judge Bullard.
(d) Ozzie Walls, Jake Brigance, Carl Lee Hailey.
7. The Sunday after Jake gets fired, he and Carla skip church and take Hanna where?
(a) To a zoo.
(c) Kite flying.
(d) On a picnic.
8. Following his motion to withdraw on Friday, Jake does what?
(a) Slips into the Court Clerk's office and quickly surveys Carl Lee's file.
(b) Calls Marsharfsky to become his local associate in Carl Lee case.
(c) Confirms with his Court Clerk contact that there is nothing new in Carl Lee's file since withdrawal.
(d) Advises with Lucien regarding the current status of Carl Lee case.
9. How long does the preliminary hearing for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard last?
(a) 20 minutes.
(b) 30 minutes.
(c) 10 minutes.
(d) 40 minutes.
10. Where do Rufus Buckley's political ambitions lead him to?
(b) District Judge.
(c) State Attorney.
(d) Washington, D.C.
11. What does Judge Bullard do to calm his nerves?
(a) Listens to classical music.
(b) Drinks vodka.
(c) Drinks moonshine whiskey.
(d) Watches TV soaps at lunchtime.
12. When a Memphis TV crew requests to be allowed to film the trial, what does Judge Willard Bullard do?
(a) Advises they may only film inside the courtroom, they may not broadcast.
(b) Grants them permission so long as they do not interfere with proceedings.
(c) Instructs the county courtroom deputy, Mr. Pate, to throw them out.
(d) Advises they may film, but it will all be reviewed by the county prosecutor.
13. Where is Tonya seated in the interview with Jake and the Hailey family?
(a) Seated in her daddy's lap.
(b) Seated in her mama's lap.
(c) She is afraid and is not present.
(d) Seated in her Uncle Lester's lap.
14. Besides getting names and addresses, what does the Ku Klux Klan advise Freddie Cobb he must do to participate?
(a) Recruit 5 or 6 members and join the KKK.
(b) Join the KKK.
(c) Recruit 2 additional members and join the KKK.
(d) Join the KKK and participate in the lynching of a black person.
15. How much does the NAACP initially contribute toward the defense of Carl Lee?
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Agee agree to get the "love offering" funds for the Hailey family to Gwen?
2. Several days following his being rehired by Carl Lee, Jake is summoned to Lucien's home to meet whom?
3. Sheriff Walls is concerned about Carl Lee's safety and comes up with what plan for transporting him to the courthouse on the day of his preliminary hearing?
4. Since Jake insists he will not be a "gofer" for the NAACP, what is the response when Carl Lee asks what will happen to the $20,000 defense fund if he uses only Jake?
5. How much has Jake been paid by Lester Hailey prior to the indictment?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)