|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the Ku Klux Klan meeting when Freddie Cobb, Billy Ray's brother, is stipulating to the Imperial Wizard that that they must get involved?
(a) In a barn on an abandoned farm, 20 miles outside Vicksburg.
(b) In a warehouse in an industrial park, late at night.
(c) Deep in the woods of Nettles County, 230 miles south of Clanton.
(d) Deep in the woods of Durham County, 125 miles northeast of Clanton.
2. How long does it take Sheriff Ozzie Walls to obtain arrest warrants for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard?
(a) 1 day.
(b) 20 minutes.
(c) 12 hours.
(d) 2 hours.
3. What does Carl Lee Hailey feel his chances are, now that he has been arrested and charged with two counts of murder?
(a) He is moderately confident, never hoping for too much.
(b) Hoping, but not expecting much in a predominantly white community.
(c) He is confident Jake Brigance will get him off, as he did his brother.
(d) He is not as confident as Jake Briance was on TV.
4. Where is Carl Lee seated during the change of venue hearing?
(a) Next to Jake, by his own choice.
(b) Next to Jake, as required by court procedures.
(c) Still being examined by doctors.
(d) Carl Lee chose to stay in jail.
5. What does Judge Bullard do to calm his nerves?
(a) Drinks moonshine whiskey.
(b) Listens to classical music.
(c) Drinks vodka.
(d) Watches TV soaps at lunchtime.
6. Why does the name of Clyde Sisco cause some stir during the meeting of Jake's jury strategy team?
(a) Lucien says Sisco is white, but has a daughter with a black girlfriend.
(b) Lucien says Sisco owes him, as he got him off of prior charges.
(c) Lucien tells how he "bought" Sisco in a previous case.
(d) Lucien states Sisco is one of few whites at Tank's Tonk.
7. What is the temperature at Reverend Agee's rally?
(a) 80 degrees.
(b) 90 degrees.
(c) 70 degrees.
(d) 100 degrees.
8. How do the members of the council of black ministers arrive for strategic planning regarding the NAACP defense of Carl Lee?
(a) Primarily in modest-priced vehicles.
(b) In Chevrolets and Dodges.
(c) In Saabs and BMWs.
(d) In their Cadillacs and Lincolns.
9. Jake's friend Harry Rex Vonner tells him the grand jury voted how on the Hailey indictment?
10. When a Memphis TV crew requests to be allowed to film the trial, what does Judge Willard Bullard do?
(a) Advises they may only film inside the courtroom, they may not broadcast.
(b) Advises they may film, but it will all be reviewed by the county prosecutor.
(c) Grants them permission so long as they do not interfere with proceedings.
(d) Instructs the county courtroom deputy, Mr. Pate, to throw them out.
11. How much does the NAACP initially contribute toward the defense of Carl Lee?
12. Days before the trial, Gwen Hailey calls Jake and informs him she is behind on house payments, the utilities might be shut off, and has only received how much from the church council?
13. Since Jake insists he will not be a "gofer" for the NAACP, what is the response when Carl Lee asks what will happen to the $20,000 defense fund if he uses only Jake?
(a) He will receive it all.
(b) He will only receive half.
(c) Only a small portion will go to the Hailey family support fund.
(d) The $20,000 only accompanies the NAACP defense team.
14. On his way back to Mississippi, what is Lester doing?
(a) Reflecting on how he can help Carl Lee pay for legal services.
(b) Reflecting on how he will get Carl Lee to rehire Jake.
(c) Reflecting on his failing marriage.
(d) Reflecting on how he got off.
15. Jake Brigance advises deputies that Billy Ray Cobb could receive life plus 40 years if he is convicted on all charges, and could be paroled how soon if Tonya lives?
(a) 13 years.
(b) 20 years.
(c) 25 years.
(d) No parole.
Short Answer Questions
1. During one phone call to Carla shortly prior to the trial, whose situation is Jake careful not to bring up?
2. Lester Hailey has driven to Clanton from where?
3. Several days following his being rehired by Carl Lee, Jake is summoned to Lucien's home to meet whom?
4. Lester tells Carl Lee what when he visits his cell?
5. Who is Jake's favorite waitress at the Coffee Shop?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)