|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Sunday after Jake gets fired, he and Carla skip church and take Hanna where?
(b) On a picnic.
(c) To a zoo.
(d) Kite flying.
2. How long does the preliminary hearing for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard last?
(a) 30 minutes.
(b) 10 minutes.
(c) 20 minutes.
(d) 40 minutes.
3. How many murder trials has Jake Brigance served as the defense counsel prior to the preliminary hearing for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard?
4. After Jake tells Ethel to shut up or quit when she informs him about his $4,000 in unpaid bills, less than $1,900 in the bank, and his failure to see clients or drop off promised files, what does she do?
(a) She angrily responds by throwing papers and storming out.
(b) She yells she has put up with his childishness long enough.
(c) She firmly states he could find no replacement to last a week.
(d) She tearfully explains about the threatening phone calls, and her husband's ill health.
5. What is the temperature at Reverend Agee's rally?
(a) 100 degrees.
(b) 70 degrees.
(c) 90 degrees.
(d) 80 degrees.
6. What is Lester's local girlfriend's name, and how many children do they have?
(a) Champagne, 1.
(b) Iris, 1.
(c) Iris, 2.
(d) Frances, 1.
7. Who is Rocky Childers?
(a) Ford County Judge.
(b) Ford County Sheriff.
(c) Tavern owner.
(d) Ford County Prosecutor.
8. On the day before Carl Lee's preliminary hearing, Jake, knowing the grand jurors are not yet selected and will likely see this news broadcast on TV that evening, reminds interviewers of what?
(a) They might find he was temporarily insane.
(b) They might not be able to come to a decision.
(c) They might rule it took place in the heat of the moment.
(d) They might not indict.
9. When a Memphis TV crew requests to be allowed to film the trial, what does Judge Willard Bullard do?
(a) Advises they may only film inside the courtroom, they may not broadcast.
(b) Grants them permission so long as they do not interfere with proceedings.
(c) Advises they may film, but it will all be reviewed by the county prosecutor.
(d) Instructs the county courtroom deputy, Mr. Pate, to throw them out.
10. During their picnic, what is Carl Lee's response when Gwen questions him about his commitment to bring in a few hundred dollars to make ends meet?
(a) He firmly repeats that he will see what he can do.
(b) He reminds her he is still the man of the family.
(c) He states he is doing the best he can.
(d) He remains silent.
11. Why does Jake threaten to fire his secretary Ethel?
(a) She has brought individuals to his office before advising of their presence.
(b) She has repeatedly been late to work and taken long lunch breaks.
(c) She has allowed calls to come to his office phone before 8:30 a.m.
(d) She has allowed someone to await his return in his office.
12. When Lucien Wilbanks inherited the family law firm in 1965, what does he keep?
(a) A brank new Ford Mustang.
(b) His father's entire legal staff.
(c) His father's favorite secretary, Ethel Twitty.
(d) His father's favorite hunting rifles.
13. When interviewed by TV journalists the day before Carl Lee's preliminary hearing, what does Jake tell them a Mississippi jury has as options when trying capital murder?
(a) Manslaughter with immediate parole, capital murder for life, and not guilty.
(b) Manslaughter for 20 years, capital murder for life or death, and guilty.
(c) Manslaughter for 20 years, capital murder for life or death, and not guilty.
(d) Manslaughter for 25 years, capital murder for life or death, and not guilty.
14. How much has Jake been paid by Lester Hailey prior to the indictment?
15. Where is Carl Lee seated during the change of venue hearing?
(a) Carl Lee chose to stay in jail.
(b) Next to Jake, by his own choice.
(c) Next to Jake, as required by court procedures.
(d) Still being examined by doctors.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who begs Sheriff Ozzie Walls to reopen the local "tonks"?
2. What is Tonya restrained with while being raped?
3. How is Ford County Sheriff viewed by the local citizenry?
4. What illegal item does Carl Lee Hailey request to buy from K.T. "Cat" Bruster?
5. At the city's largest black church, with NAACP officials and Gwen Hailey at his side, who announces the Carl Lee Hailey defense fund?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)