|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How have Lucien and Harry Rex advised Jake regarding selection of women for the jury?
(a) Lucien is in favor, Harry Rex is opposed.
(b) Both are in favor.
(c) Harry Rex is in favor, Lucien is opposed.
(d) Both are opposed.
2. Where does Ellen sleep after the jury strategy session is over and Jake is followed home by Deputy Nesbit?
(a) In a motor lodge.
(b) With a friend of Jake and Carla.
(c) On the office couch.
(d) In the Clanton Inn.
3. What does Carl Lee Hailey feel his chances are, now that he has been arrested and charged with two counts of murder?
(a) He is confident Jake Brigance will get him off, as he did his brother.
(b) Hoping, but not expecting much in a predominantly white community.
(c) He is moderately confident, never hoping for too much.
(d) He is not as confident as Jake Briance was on TV.
4. The Sunday after Jake gets fired, he and Carla skip church and take Hanna where?
(b) To a zoo.
(c) Kite flying.
(d) On a picnic.
5. What is Tonya restrained with while being raped?
(a) Electrical cord.
(b) Swing-set chain.
(c) Nylon rope.
(d) Cotton rope.
6. Who has received threatening phone calls both at home and in the office?
(a) Percy Bullard.
(b) Ethel Twitty.
(c) Rufus Buckley.
(d) Gwen Hailey.
7. Following his motion to withdraw on Friday, Jake does what?
(a) Calls Marsharfsky to become his local associate in Carl Lee case.
(b) Slips into the Court Clerk's office and quickly surveys Carl Lee's file.
(c) Advises with Lucien regarding the current status of Carl Lee case.
(d) Confirms with his Court Clerk contact that there is nothing new in Carl Lee's file since withdrawal.
8. How many murder trials has Jake Brigance served as the defense counsel prior to the preliminary hearing for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard?
9. How does Ozzie determine what is in the ticking case the stranger has brought to the front porch of of Jake's home?
(a) He handcuffs the man to the gas meter and places the case between his legs.
(b) Ozzie breaks both of the man's ankles.
(c) He threatens to shoot both of his knees.
(d) He threatens to break his ankles.
10. When a Memphis TV crew requests to be allowed to film the trial, what does Judge Willard Bullard do?
(a) Grants them permission so long as they do not interfere with proceedings.
(b) Advises they may only film inside the courtroom, they may not broadcast.
(c) Instructs the county courtroom deputy, Mr. Pate, to throw them out.
(d) Advises they may film, but it will all be reviewed by the county prosecutor.
11. Carla and Jake, raised as Baptist and Methodist respectively, have agreed to become what?
12. How long does the preliminary hearing for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard last?
(a) 40 minutes.
(b) 30 minutes.
(c) 10 minutes.
(d) 20 minutes.
13. Lester tells Carl Lee what when he visits his cell?
(a) He needs to leave and will return when he is able.
(b) He needs to leave, but will be back for his trial.
(c) He has to leave now.
(d) He will remain as long as is needed.
14. How does Carl Lee compare killing the white men who raped his daughter with killing the "gooks" in Vietnam?
(a) He feels worse about the killing in Vietnam.
(b) He feels killing both situations were equally necessary.
(c) He feels worse about the killing in Mississippi.
(d) He regrets the killing in Clanton.
15. When interviewed by TV journalists the day before Carl Lee's preliminary hearing, what does Jake tell them a Mississippi jury has as options when trying capital murder?
(a) Manslaughter with immediate parole, capital murder for life, and not guilty.
(b) Manslaughter for 25 years, capital murder for life or death, and not guilty.
(c) Manslaughter for 20 years, capital murder for life or death, and guilty.
(d) Manslaughter for 20 years, capital murder for life or death, and not guilty.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Ford County Sheriff viewed by the local citizenry?
2. Jake's friend Harry Rex Vonner tells him the grand jury voted how on the Hailey indictment?
3. What is Lester's local girlfriend's name, and how many children do they have?
4. How does Ozzie get the bomb defused?
5. What does Jake Brigance drive?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)