|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Carl Lee Hailey feel his chances are, now that he has been arrested and charged with two counts of murder?
(a) He is moderately confident, never hoping for too much.
(b) He is confident Jake Brigance will get him off, as he did his brother.
(c) He is not as confident as Jake Briance was on TV.
(d) Hoping, but not expecting much in a predominantly white community.
2. The Hailey indictment is not mentioned on TV until a brief 10:00 p.m. news segment, so what is Jake's response?
(a) He orders pizza.
(b) He yells angily and tosses a sofa pillow at the TV.
(c) He does some paperwork.
(d) He laughs.
3. When interviewed by TV journalists the day before Carl Lee's preliminary hearing, what does Jake tell them a Mississippi jury has as options when trying capital murder?
(a) Manslaughter for 25 years, capital murder for life or death, and not guilty.
(b) Manslaughter with immediate parole, capital murder for life, and not guilty.
(c) Manslaughter for 20 years, capital murder for life or death, and guilty.
(d) Manslaughter for 20 years, capital murder for life or death, and not guilty.
4. Where does Ellen sleep after the jury strategy session is over and Jake is followed home by Deputy Nesbit?
(a) In the Clanton Inn.
(b) With a friend of Jake and Carla.
(c) In a motor lodge.
(d) On the office couch.
5. Who has received threatening phone calls both at home and in the office?
(a) Gwen Hailey.
(b) Percy Bullard.
(c) Rufus Buckley.
(d) Ethel Twitty.
6. When does Agee agree to get the "love offering" funds for the Hailey family to Gwen?
(a) When Carl Lee threatens to tell everyone of Agee's dirty dealings.
(b) When Jake threatens to prosecute.
(c) When Ozzie threatens to arrest him.
(d) When Ozzie says he could tell the church of his stolen car, DUI, and funeral home kickbicks.
7. Sheriff Walls is concerned about Carl Lee's safety and comes up with what plan for transporting him to the courthouse on the day of his preliminary hearing?
(a) Finds a prisoner resembling Carl Lee, and has him break and run for reporters to chase.
(b) Finds a prisoner resembling Carl Lee, and has him transported with Carl Lee.
(c) Has Carl Lee dressed as deputy with toy gun in holster, and transported in the front seat of cruiser.
(d) Finds a prisoner resembling Carl Lee, and has him transported in another cruiser for reporters to follow.
8. How much does the NAACP initially contribute toward the defense of Carl Lee?
9. Norman Reinfeld, the thirty-year-old Jewish supervisor of the NAACP defense team, graduated from which law school?
10. Lester tells Carl Lee what when he visits his cell?
(a) He will remain as long as is needed.
(b) He has to leave now.
(c) He needs to leave and will return when he is able.
(d) He needs to leave, but will be back for his trial.
11. What is Carla's reply when Jake asks her if she would convict Carl Lee Hailey for murdering Billy Ray Cobb if she were a jury member?
(a) She would have to convict.
(b) She would have to convict of a lesser charge.
(c) It would be hard to convict.
(d) She could not convict.
12. What does Tonya, who suffers from endless nightmares and is certain that her attackers are after her, insist on?
(a) That every light in the home stay on all night, and her brothers sleep outside her door.
(b) That her mother sleep with her, and her brothers sleep outside her bedroom door.
(c) That Deputy Willie Hastings, Tonya's uncle, sit under her bedroom window.
(d) That one of her brothers sleep outside her bedroom, and the other sit under her window.
13. During the meeting of Jake's jury strategy team, what do the black citizens do?
(a) Maintain a candlelight vigil surrounding the courthouse and jail.
(b) Maintain a candlelight vigil surrounding the jail.
(c) Maintain a prayer vigil at local black churches.
(d) Maintain a candlelight vigil surrounding the courthouse.
14. Jake Brigance advises deputies that Billy Ray Cobb could receive life plus 40 years if he is convicted on all charges, and could be paroled how soon if Tonya lives?
(a) 13 years.
(b) No parole.
(c) 20 years.
(d) 25 years.
15. What do the participants chant at the rally?
(a) "We want a just trial."
(b) "We will overcome."
(c) "Amazing grace."
(d) "Free Carl Lee."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tonya carrying when she is kidnapped?
2. At the city's largest black church, with NAACP officials and Gwen Hailey at his side, who announces the Carl Lee Hailey defense fund?
3. When a Memphis TV crew requests to be allowed to film the trial, what does Judge Willard Bullard do?
4. Following Carl Lee's preliminary hearing, what does Jake attempt to do in the interview with New York Times reporter McKittrick?
5. How does Ozzie determine what is in the ticking case the stranger has brought to the front porch of of Jake's home?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)