|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Following the preliminary hearing for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard, who hides in the county courthouse after closing at 4:30 p.m. on Friday?
(a) Carl Lee Hailey.
(b) Jake Brigance.
(c) Lucien Wilbanks.
(d) Lester Hailey.
2. What is Clanton doing to prepare for the national spotlight a week before the Carl Lee trial?
(a) Public facilities are being cleaned and rejuvenated.
(b) Stray cats, dogs, other pets are being collected by Animal Control.
(c) New parking meters are being installed.
(d) Repainting stripes on Main Street, parking spaces, and Courthouse signs.
3. Who is Jake's favorite waitress at the Coffee Shop?
(d) Susie Lynn.
4. Ollie Agee, the Hailey's pastor, convenes the Council of Ministers, a board of the local black ministry, which decides to do what?
(a) Initiate a defense fund for Carl Lee, a support fund for his family, and bring in the NAACP.
(b) Initiate a defense fund for Carl Lee, a support fund for his family, and security for Hailey's home.
(c) Initiate a fund and prayer vigil for the Hailey's.
(d) Bring in the NAACP.
5. How have Lucien and Harry Rex advised Jake regarding selection of women for the jury?
(a) Harry Rex is in favor, Lucien is opposed.
(b) Lucien is in favor, Harry Rex is opposed.
(c) Both are in favor.
(d) Both are opposed.
6. Why does Lucien advise Jake he needs to seek a change of venue?
(a) To get at least one black jury member.
(b) The chances for a less experienced prosecutor are better.
(c) The KKK in Ford County is very strong.
(d) Everyone in Ford County has already made their minds up.
7. Who begs Sheriff Ozzie Walls to reopen the local "tonks"?
(a) The local ministers.
(b) The local AA director.
(c) The schoolboard members.
(d) Parents of young children.
8. What is Tonya restrained with while being raped?
(a) Swing-set chain.
(b) Nylon rope.
(c) Electrical cord.
(d) Cotton rope.
9. According to Judge Noose, what is the largest media problem?
(a) Two attorneys squabbling publically.
(b) Lawyers refusing to be interviewed.
(c) Attorneys revealing too much information.
(d) Two attorneys fighting for the same spotlight.
10. How does Jake Brigance view the Carl Lee Hailey murder trial?
(a) With a four-year-old daughter of his own, he feels merely empathy.
(b) An opportunity to earn money.
(c) Solely as an opportunity to help a person of color.
(d) As his ticket to the big time.
11. Where is Tonya seated in the interview with Jake and the Hailey family?
(a) She is afraid and is not present.
(b) Seated in her daddy's lap.
(c) Seated in her mama's lap.
(d) Seated in her Uncle Lester's lap.
12. When Jake and Buckley are in the judge's office the day before the arraignment, what does the former request?
(a) 60 days to prepare.
(b) 90 days to prepare.
(c) 120 days to prepare.
(d) 180 days to prepare.
13. How is Ford County Sheriff viewed by the local citizenry?
(a) He is respected and loved by virtually all, both black and white residents.
(b) He is respected and loved by black residents primarily, not white residents.
(c) He is not respected nor loved by many black or white residents.
(d) He is respected and loved by white residents primarily, not black residents.
14. What happens when Jake calls Lester in Chicago?
(a) Lester agrees to come back, but not soon.
(b) Lester agrees to return to Clanton with much prompting.
(c) Lester says he cannot return until the trial.
(d) Lester agrees to return to Clanton with little prompting.
15. How do the members of the council of black ministers arrive for strategic planning regarding the NAACP defense of Carl Lee?
(a) In Saabs and BMWs.
(b) In Chevrolets and Dodges.
(c) Primarily in modest-priced vehicles.
(d) In their Cadillacs and Lincolns.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lester Hailey has driven to Clanton from where?
2. How long does it take Sheriff Ozzie Walls to obtain arrest warrants for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard?
3. Where is Carl Lee seated during the change of venue hearing?
4. After Jake wakes with a bad hangover, what does he do?
5. When Bo Marsharfsky calls requesting Jake to be his local associate, what is his response?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)