|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ollie Agee, the Hailey's pastor, convenes the Council of Ministers, a board of the local black ministry, which decides to do what?
(a) Initiate a defense fund for Carl Lee, a support fund for his family, and security for Hailey's home.
(b) Bring in the NAACP.
(c) Initiate a defense fund for Carl Lee, a support fund for his family, and bring in the NAACP.
(d) Initiate a fund and prayer vigil for the Hailey's.
2. After being threatened by Marsharfsky, Jake does what?
(a) Lights a cheap cigar, and writes a complaint regarding Marsharfsky.
(b) Lights a cheap cigar, and writes a change of venue request.
(c) Lights an expensive Cuban cigar, and writes a change of venue request.
(d) Lights an expensive Caribbean cigar, and writes a complaint regarding Marsharfsky.
3. During one phone call to Carla shortly prior to the trial, whose situation is Jake careful not to bring up?
(a) Gwem Hailey's.
(b) Bud Twitty's.
(c) Reverend Agee's.
(d) Ozzie Walls'.
4. What are the six capital defense attorneys of the NAACP known as?
(a) The "last chance squad."
(b) The "always win team."
(c) The "death squad."
(d) The "defense squad."
5. Besides getting names and addresses, what does the Ku Klux Klan advise Freddie Cobb he must do to participate?
(a) Join the KKK.
(b) Join the KKK and participate in the lynching of a black person.
(c) Recruit 2 additional members and join the KKK.
(d) Recruit 5 or 6 members and join the KKK.
6. On the morning of the day he first meets Ellen, what is it Jake recalls Carla could tell during their phone conversation the night before?
(a) That he was drunk.
(b) That he was tired and had not gotten enough sleep.
(c) That he had jut awoken from a deep sleep.
(d) That he was still in his office and eating takeout food.
7. Where did K.T. "Cat" Bruster lose his eye?
(a) Rice patties of Vietnam.
(b) Tenements of Memphis.
(c) Back alleys of Chicago.
(d) Deserts of Afghanistan.
8. Who is Jake's favorite waitress at the Coffee Shop?
(d) Susie Lynn.
9. Following his motion to withdraw on Friday, Jake does what?
(a) Calls Marsharfsky to become his local associate in Carl Lee case.
(b) Advises with Lucien regarding the current status of Carl Lee case.
(c) Confirms with his Court Clerk contact that there is nothing new in Carl Lee's file since withdrawal.
(d) Slips into the Court Clerk's office and quickly surveys Carl Lee's file.
10. How old is Tonya?
11. What have local attorneys dubbed Judge Omar Noose?
(a) Abe Lincoln.
(c) Yogi Bear.
(d) Mickey Mouse.
12. What is Tonya restrained with while being raped?
(a) Electrical cord.
(b) Cotton rope.
(c) Swing-set chain.
(d) Nylon rope.
13. What three individuals were aware of what would likely take place, so the double murder does not surprise them?
(a) Ozzie Walls, K.T. "Cat" Bruster, Deputy Looney.
(b) Lester Hailey, Jake Brigance, Judge Bullard.
(c) Ozzie Walls, Jake Brigance, Carl Lee Hailey.
(d) Carla Brigance, Pete Willard, Billy Ray Cobb.
14. How does Carl Lee compare killing the white men who raped his daughter with killing the "gooks" in Vietnam?
(a) He feels worse about the killing in Vietnam.
(b) He feels killing both situations were equally necessary.
(c) He feels worse about the killing in Mississippi.
(d) He regrets the killing in Clanton.
15. After Jake tells Ethel to shut up or quit when she informs him about his $4,000 in unpaid bills, less than $1,900 in the bank, and his failure to see clients or drop off promised files, what does she do?
(a) She tearfully explains about the threatening phone calls, and her husband's ill health.
(b) She angrily responds by throwing papers and storming out.
(c) She firmly states he could find no replacement to last a week.
(d) She yells she has put up with his childishness long enough.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lucien advise Jake he needs to seek a change of venue?
2. Following Carl Lee's preliminary hearing, what does Jake attempt to do in the interview with New York Times reporter McKittrick?
3. How many murder trials has Jake Brigance served as the defense counsel prior to the preliminary hearing for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard?
4. When Jake and Buckley are in the judge's office the day before the arraignment, what does the former request?
5. When does Agee agree to get the "love offering" funds for the Hailey family to Gwen?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)