|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ozzie determine what is in the ticking case the stranger has brought to the front porch of of Jake's home?
(a) He handcuffs the man to the gas meter and places the case between his legs.
(b) He threatens to shoot both of his knees.
(c) Ozzie breaks both of the man's ankles.
(d) He threatens to break his ankles.
2. When Lucien Wilbanks inherited the family law firm in 1965, what does he keep?
(a) A brank new Ford Mustang.
(b) His father's favorite secretary, Ethel Twitty.
(c) His father's favorite hunting rifles.
(d) His father's entire legal staff.
3. What does Jake Brigance drive?
(a) A Rolls-Royce.
(b) A BMW.
(c) A Jaguar.
(d) A Saab.
4. On the day before Carl Lee's preliminary hearing, Jake, knowing the grand jurors are not yet selected and will likely see this news broadcast on TV that evening, reminds interviewers of what?
(a) They might not be able to come to a decision.
(b) They might not indict.
(c) They might rule it took place in the heat of the moment.
(d) They might find he was temporarily insane.
5. How have Lucien and Harry Rex advised Jake regarding selection of women for the jury?
(a) Lucien is in favor, Harry Rex is opposed.
(b) Both are in favor.
(c) Both are opposed.
(d) Harry Rex is in favor, Lucien is opposed.
6. When Jake Brigance confides in Sheriff Walls that Carl Lee Hailey may be planning the murder of Cobb and Willard, what do they speculate about how they might feel?
(a) That they might entertain murder.
(b) That they would carefully follow the trial.
(c) That they would move so their daughters could start over.
(d) That they would not allow their daughters to testify.
7. How old is Tonya?
8. When Bo Marsharfsky calls requesting Jake to be his local associate, what is his response?
(a) Refuses, accuses him of solicitation, and threatens to report or have him reviewed by grand jury.
(b) Says nothing, and slams the phone down.
(c) Considers it briefly, then declines.
9. Where is the Ku Klux Klan meeting when Freddie Cobb, Billy Ray's brother, is stipulating to the Imperial Wizard that that they must get involved?
(a) In a warehouse in an industrial park, late at night.
(b) Deep in the woods of Nettles County, 230 miles south of Clanton.
(c) In a barn on an abandoned farm, 20 miles outside Vicksburg.
(d) Deep in the woods of Durham County, 125 miles northeast of Clanton.
10. When a Memphis TV crew requests to be allowed to film the trial, what does Judge Willard Bullard do?
(a) Advises they may film, but it will all be reviewed by the county prosecutor.
(b) Grants them permission so long as they do not interfere with proceedings.
(c) Instructs the county courtroom deputy, Mr. Pate, to throw them out.
(d) Advises they may only film inside the courtroom, they may not broadcast.
11. Several days following his being rehired by Carl Lee, Jake is summoned to Lucien's home to meet whom?
(a) Dr. W.T. Bass, retired pediatrician.
(b) Dr. W.T. Bass, retired psychiatrist.
(c) Dr. W.T. Bass, retired psychologist.
(d) Dr. W.T. Bass, retired podiatrist.
12. Why does Carl Lee fire Jake?
(a) Jake could not get him out on bond.
(b) Cat Bruster convinces him to do so.
(c) He has an argument with Jake.
(d) Carla has received more threats and asks him to.
13. During their picnic, what is Carl Lee's response when Gwen questions him about his commitment to bring in a few hundred dollars to make ends meet?
(a) He firmly repeats that he will see what he can do.
(b) He reminds her he is still the man of the family.
(c) He states he is doing the best he can.
(d) He remains silent.
14. Where is Tonya seated in the interview with Jake and the Hailey family?
(a) She is afraid and is not present.
(b) Seated in her Uncle Lester's lap.
(c) Seated in her mama's lap.
(d) Seated in her daddy's lap.
15. After Ozzie summons Jake to meet with Lester and Carl Lee and Carl Lee rehires Jake because his brother "wants me to," what does Carl Lee say?
(a) Carl Lee admits he trusts Jake, and wants his services.
(b) Carl Lee states he does not trust Jake, but trusts the Shark less.
(c) Carl Lee persists he is only following Lester's request.
(d) Carl Lee states the Sheriff has convinced him Jake is a good choice.
Short Answer Questions
1. After being threatened by Marsharfsky, Jake does what?
2. How many murder trials has Jake Brigance served as the defense counsel prior to the preliminary hearing for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard?
3. During one phone call to Carla shortly prior to the trial, whose situation is Jake careful not to bring up?
4. When interviewed by TV journalists the day before Carl Lee's preliminary hearing, what does Jake tell them a Mississippi jury has as options when trying capital murder?
5. How do the other prisoners feel about Carl Lee taking meals with the sheriff?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)