|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Following his motion to withdraw on Friday, Jake does what?
(a) Calls Marsharfsky to become his local associate in Carl Lee case.
(b) Slips into the Court Clerk's office and quickly surveys Carl Lee's file.
(c) Advises with Lucien regarding the current status of Carl Lee case.
(d) Confirms with his Court Clerk contact that there is nothing new in Carl Lee's file since withdrawal.
2. What is the temperature at Reverend Agee's rally?
(a) 80 degrees.
(b) 100 degrees.
(c) 90 degrees.
(d) 70 degrees.
3. Who has received threatening phone calls both at home and in the office?
(a) Ethel Twitty.
(b) Gwen Hailey.
(c) Rufus Buckley.
(d) Percy Bullard.
4. Following the preliminary hearing for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard, who hides in the county courthouse after closing at 4:30 p.m. on Friday?
(a) Jake Brigance.
(b) Lucien Wilbanks.
(c) Lester Hailey.
(d) Carl Lee Hailey.
5. On the morning of the day he first meets Ellen, what is it Jake recalls Carla could tell during their phone conversation the night before?
(a) That he had jut awoken from a deep sleep.
(b) That he was still in his office and eating takeout food.
(c) That he was tired and had not gotten enough sleep.
(d) That he was drunk.
6. Where do Rufus Buckley's political ambitions lead him to?
(b) District Judge.
(c) State Attorney.
(d) Washington, D.C.
7. Jake Brigance advises deputies that Billy Ray Cobb could receive life plus 40 years if he is convicted on all charges, and could be paroled how soon if Tonya lives?
(a) 13 years.
(b) No parole.
(c) 25 years.
(d) 20 years.
8. Where is the Ku Klux Klan meeting when Freddie Cobb, Billy Ray's brother, is stipulating to the Imperial Wizard that that they must get involved?
(a) Deep in the woods of Durham County, 125 miles northeast of Clanton.
(b) In a warehouse in an industrial park, late at night.
(c) Deep in the woods of Nettles County, 230 miles south of Clanton.
(d) In a barn on an abandoned farm, 20 miles outside Vicksburg.
9. During the meeting of Jake's jury strategy team, what do the black citizens do?
(a) Maintain a candlelight vigil surrounding the jail.
(b) Maintain a candlelight vigil surrounding the courthouse.
(c) Maintain a candlelight vigil surrounding the courthouse and jail.
(d) Maintain a prayer vigil at local black churches.
10. What is Carla's reply when Jake asks her if she would convict Carl Lee Hailey for murdering Billy Ray Cobb if she were a jury member?
(a) She would have to convict.
(b) She could not convict.
(c) She would have to convict of a lesser charge.
(d) It would be hard to convict.
11. What are the six capital defense attorneys of the NAACP known as?
(a) The "always win team."
(b) The "death squad."
(c) The "last chance squad."
(d) The "defense squad."
12. When Lucien Wilbanks inherited the family law firm in 1965, what does he keep?
(a) His father's favorite hunting rifles.
(b) His father's entire legal staff.
(c) His father's favorite secretary, Ethel Twitty.
(d) A brank new Ford Mustang.
13. When Jake informs Ellen of the threats received by phone, the bombing attempt, and other dangers the job may entail, what is her response?
(a) She will rely on the Sheriff's Department to protect as needed.
(b) That she carries licensed, snub-nose protection in her purse.
(c) She is not afraid and will take her chances.
(d) She changes her mind and leaves town.
14. When Jake and Buckley are in the judge's office the day before the arraignment, what does the former request?
(a) 180 days to prepare.
(b) 120 days to prepare.
(c) 90 days to prepare.
(d) 60 days to prepare.
15. How do the other prisoners feel about Carl Lee taking meals with the sheriff?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Jake calls Lester in Chicago?
2. Who is Jake's favorite waitress at the Coffee Shop?
3. Where does Ellen sleep after the jury strategy session is over and Jake is followed home by Deputy Nesbit?
4. Why does the name of Clyde Sisco cause some stir during the meeting of Jake's jury strategy team?
5. What is Clanton doing to prepare for the national spotlight a week before the Carl Lee trial?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)